5. Advanced
  6. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Male
  2. Female
  3. Primarily Prefer Female
Genres
Fantasy, Supernatural, Horror
I decided I should probably keep writings I like and don't wish to lose in one place. There are probably typos and grammatical errors, but this is really meant for safe keeping. However, if someone does wish to critique, message me! ^_^

Random Word Inspiration

Treason's a bitch, but it was something she had lived with since the age of fifteen. Her family slaughtered, uncle murdered before her eyes, brother barely surviving and missing an arm. Lea had survived, but at the cost of what? Save one, her entire family.

She twirled the jackknife in her hand before stilling it; a second later it flew through the air, landing in the opposite wall with a thud, slicing through a pinned picture as it embedded itself in the wall. Her eyes became red as she stared at the sliced picture barely dangling from where the thumbtack continued to hold it up. The face of her cousin, the traitor, looked back at her, a partial grin frozen in time.

"I'm gonna get'cha," Lea muttered. "Just wait..." The aftermath of her revenge would be both bitter and sweet, she knew it. It was fine, really. She'd always liked dark chocolate anyway.

Yellow, the colour of plague and pestilence, jaundice, old papers, and pretty much anything Amelia didn't wish to think about. Once upon a time it used to be a cheerful, sunny colour, but these days all it reminded her was of old age and death. If someone was to invite her to a funeral, she would probably choose to wear yellow instead of black.

It is a little unfortunate she forgot to mention this to the young man who fancied her. Poor Jack was not sure if he was untimely in presenting her with the yellow rose, or if it was something else.

Nevin slumped over the bar, half empty glass in his hand, bleary eyed as he stared at nothing in particular. There went all his discipline, down the glass of the strongest drink he could afford. At the moment he was all out of tears, having passed the stage of blubbering like a baby.

He knew when she found him, he'd feel as guilty as hell. But f**k it, he didn't want to feel anything right now. No sorrow, no guilt, no pain. Intoxication really helped with that.

"Time to go now, sir." The bartender sounded as if he was restraining himself from snapping at the stinking drunk man.

"Not yet... she ain't 'ere yet..."

He woke up with his face in the snow. He blinked and sniffled. For a moment there was even a smile on his hungover face.

Snow reminded him of her. Pure white, just like her hair.

The blade pierced through Chani's chest, slipping in easily like a hot red poker. Without a word, she burst into flames, and not a minute passed before she was no more than a pile of smoking ashes.

Kirn fell to his knees, hands reaching out toward the ashes. This was all his fault! If only he had been there in time... to do what? He was no fighter, he could barely tolerate violence himself!

He lifted his head, looking at the man who had just stabbed her. "Now's your turn," the man said, the smirk evident on his face, malice tinging his voice.

"Go ahead," Kirn muttered, head slumping once more. It didn't matter whether he lived now, not with her dead...

The blade never came down on him. Instead, there was a sudden burst of fiery light. Kirn's head jerked upward, staring as he saw someone rise from the ashes. Fire lapped at her body as her arm reached out and grabbed the man's neck. He barely had time to let out a scream before he fell, body disintegrating into smoky ashes even before he reached the ground.

"What's with the giving up, hm?" Kirn looked up to see the woman, Chani, looking down at him, a smile on her lips, eyes bright and red. Flames were still rolling over her body, almost like a living suit. "You know I cannot die like that, don't you?"

"You- you never told me you're a phoenix," Kirn replied, tears of shock and relief trickling down his face. He let out a shaky breath before standing up, wiping at his cheeks with the back of his hand. "Let's get out of here."

"Sure," Chani replied, "but after you lend me your shirt. Can't walk around naked, you know. Tch..." She looked annoyed with herself. "Shouldn't have burned his clothes."

The storm has passed, but your raft did not do well with the violent squall and waves that lashed at it. The mast has broken and as for the sail, why, it's gone with the wind. Your vessel is thrown by the elements for goodness knows how long before finally crashing into a series of sharp rocks protruding through the water. It is all you can do to keep holding on to the largest broken piece of your raft.

The wind continues its dance with the sea, and eventually you find yourself at the coast of an island, sand shining white under the sun, the trees as green as emeralds. A small surge of energy fills you as you see your haven from the endless sea. Having no other choice, you start toward the island.

Panting, the nekomata known as Naoki stumbled through the battlefield, bent over and using her katana as a walking stick so that she wouldn't fall over. Her free hand was pressed against a gash to her side, still bleeding, though not as much as it had a few moments earlier. Gritting her teeth, she paused in her walking and slipped her hand through the sliced tunic, pressing it flat against her would. A yell of pain escaped her as she lit the hand on fire, burning the wound close.

Gasping weakly once she was done, she once more started off, though she didn't succeed, tripping over the body of a tanuki. She stayed on her hands and knees, drops of salty water dripping from her eyes, from both pain and sorrow.

"Haaah..." She crawled a little forward before finally stopping when she reached a tree stump. She needed to rest if she wanted to leave this place alive.

Naoki leaned back against the rough bark, face upturned toward the sky and the afternoon sun. She had done it. She had killed her only brother, the traitor who had orchestrated the murder of their clan. Her only brother, who had turned her into a pseudo-human by means of a cursed bead necklace. Her only brother who dumped her at a human village, where she was enslaved and abused in the worst possible ways, before finally escaping due to the actions of a youkai who cared nothing for her.

"Ha... ha... Haha..." She laughed weakly, eyes still open and dripping tears down her cheeks as the memories played before her. For revenge, she had raised an army of her brother's many victims, and after months of planning, they had finally struck. It had been close, but she'd been determined to make him taste the bitter pain she had been dealing with for years.

Yet in the end, when they were face to face, she hesitated. She still loved him, her only brother. So, she took a stab to her side, and instinctively sliced at his throat, eyes widening in surprise when she realized what had happened.

"Hah.... Ichirou... It's a good thing you cut me first." If he hadn't, she would have been dead. He certainly hadn't hesitated in hurting her.

Sighing, she waited a while before finally standing up, determined to leave the battlefield, and with it, the memories of her brother.

Bram had always known that he would end up in the dungeons below the wretched arena. Being a freedom fighter brought the sort of risks that could very well cause him to find his abode down in these dark and musty cages. He just hadn't expected it to happen the way it had.

He couldn't stop himself from giving in to his suppressed hate and anger when they had finally executed his best friend publicly. Bram had always been a composed and level headed man. Mika, his best friend, had been the one with a temper as red as his hair. Yet that day, it was Mika who submitted to his barbaric end while Bram finally let out all his anger and grief by trying to end the life of the one behind all their troubles.

He sighed, leaning his head against the bars, looking at nowhere in particular with his sole eye. Bram had lost one of his eyes some years previously when he and Mika had been dishonoured and removed from the Royal Army. Riyuta, the spoiled princess had never been known to subdue her irritation, and her hot flames easily took care of his eye. Bram had worn his eyepatch proudly, like a badge of honour. It was a shame the guards took it away from him.

Lifting his head, he looked at the dark ceiling. The sounds from the arena were muffled, but it wasn't hard to hear the cheering crowd. There was probably a lot of blood and guts being spilled onto the sand, or whatever terrain the mages had been ordered to create.

"And then I'll be called," he murmured to himself, voice rougher than usual, as he hadn't spoken in a while. Bram wouldn't fight; he was much too coveted for that. He was the best healer in Yaseef, and therefore kept to heal the winners of the arena fights.

Another sigh left Bram, this one of melancholy. Riyuta probably knew how much this hurt him, to continuously heal gladiator slaves so that they would be forced to fight yet again. He was contributing to their agony in this way, and there was nothing he could do to get out it...

"Mika, you might've been the lucky one." He closed his eyes, shaking his head. If it hadn't been for his still living family, his beloved wife and two children, he would have killed himself long ago. With him alive, they were alive, and vice versa. Leverage. He would do anything to keep his family safe, and his captors knew that.

Sentence Starter Prompt

Yet, he never saw his sister playing with any of the dolls his mother bought for her. Being quite the tomboy, the little girl chose to play with her brothers' Matchbox cars instead. She quite hated the Raggedy Anns and Barbies she would receive as gifts. In fact, quite a few times he was recruited so that they could be stuffed away somewhere, or 'buried' as she called it. Under the house's balcony, they were stuffed, hidden from her sight and soon from her mind.

Not from Roald's mind, however. Dolls had always been something he found rather... terrifying. He could never recall when this fear began, really, but as far back as he could recall, if had always clawed at him. Even as he grew older, the memories of their eyes staring at him as he 'buried' them would continue to haunt his dreams. His fear was not solely for his sister's dolls, but anything that was lifeless yet portraying a human. Mannequins in the stores, statues at church, even portraits that were painted.

Strangely enough, when he passed, he was surrounded by an array of dolls, old and dirty. It was unsure how he or the dolls ended up laying together on his couch. It was however noted that the television in the room was playing FRIENDS reruns.

Meg's catlike eyes shone with bright tears as his lips moved away from hers. She didn't want to accept it, couldn't accept it. He couldn't give himself up, not now. Her hands tightened on his as she gazed at him, earnest. "We'll run away. Hell, you can even fly away, Mika. Those damn wings aren't just to make you look pretty!"

A rough laugh escaped the winged man, and then he sighed, shaking his head. A year ago he would have been happy to give up his life. Anything was better than living in disgrace, training slaves to fight in an arena, watching people he'd secretly grown fond of die in brutal and humiliating ways.

Now, however, now he wanted to live, just so that he could stay with her. Meg, the slave he hadn't called by name for almost a year, using the word 'Felie' instead, referring to her by her race. It was strange how the scared yet feisty girl had changed something inside of him. His bouts of rage had slowly dimmed, and his sarcastic laughs had become much softer, happier.

And then, he was accused of treachery, again. This time, however, he was to be executed.

"I have to, Meg." He let go of her hands and placed them on the sides of her face instead, looking her in the eyes with his stormy sea-green ones. "One life versus many? That's the deal the damn Princess gave me. Either way, I'm gonna have to die. But as long you're all safe, you're safe..." He gave her a half smile. "You'll be free too, they promised."

"I don't give a damn about being free!" Tears were now flowing freely from Meg's eyes. "There's no point... not if you're not gonna be around! Please, Mika, you gotta come with me..."

Mika closed his eyes. The temptation was so sweet. He could easily break out of the inn where they had him imprisoned, fly away, fly across the sea, the ocean, settle down on some distant island. He could even take Meg with him, she didn't weight much. But what about his best friend and his family? Or the others of his race that had been threatened?

He pressed his lips against hers once more, one last time, savouring the moment, securing a precious memory before the end. "I love you, Meg. We'll... we'll meet again."

Maybe it was time Amitis just accepted who she was. A murderer, one who failed at even that, granted. On the run, she had returned home to her mother Anahita's palace, hoping for some forgiveness, redemption, a new path to life. Demigoddess she was, but she was still very flawed.

Her mother had forgiven her, but alas, Anahita had no place in her home for her wayward daughter. She had to leave, find her own path with no guidance from the goddess of wisdom. Amitis felt it was justice served. She fell from grace and she couldn't have expected to return to it simply because it was her mother who would give it to her.

And so she left... yet not alone.

To her side was Dilkash, a beautiful angha who towered over her, large enough to carry an elephant if need be. She felt so safe next to her young friend, even though she was meant to be the bodyguard, the protector. Dilkash had not been happy seeing her friend be banished from the sanctuary she had called home, and so she left as well. The world was a large place, and if Amitis was going to wander to find a purpose, she was going to do the same. Two people were better than one.

Together, they did not make a yin and yang. No, they weren't opposites. They were more like two flowers put together, both supporting the other, enhancing both colour and scent.

It continued that way for years, long enough that while Amitis continued to fight for redemption, she no longer realized that was what she was searching for. This had simply become her way of life, and she was happier for it.

• Love
Reactions: The Mood is Write
I'm kind of proud of this story so posting it here.

Kaehl lifted a hand, feeling the wetness on his face. His eyes looked at the red on his fingers and then to the ground, staring in horror at the man slumped on the ground, bleeding out from having his throat sliced open. His hands shook, eyes wide as they slowly looked up at the man who had just murdered the person closest to him.

“That’s the price he had to pay for your insolence, little brother.” The man before him was dressed in fancy armour, a dripping red sword in his hand and a satisfied grin on his face.

“You… you killed… you killed him!” The words came out harshly as if it was painful to have them leave his mouth. “I- I was the one! Not him! And you just-”

“Killed him, yes, you already said that little brother-”

“Don’t call me that!” he snarled, hand grabbing the sword at his waist. “He was more a brother to me than you ever were! And you killed him!” Eyes stinging with tears, he pulled his sword from its sheath, pointing it at the man who simply sighed and shook his head.

“Men, it seems my little brother is having a temper tantrum. Teach him a lesson and throw him out of the camp for the night.” A laugh filled the air. “A night of freezing in the desert cold will teach him.”

“Damn you!” It was all he managed to say before a fist slammed into his face.

“Don’t be shy to use your blades, men. Sometimes we all need a few points and tips to help us learn. But don’t kill him… death is too good for a person like him. And of course, Father would be displeased.”

It was a mercy when Kaehl was finally knocked unconscious.

*​

All he could feel was pain. It wasn’t stinging or sudden, just a continuous throbbing feeling that made him want to throw up and curl up into a ball… which he couldn’t. Any attempt to move his body increased the pain, causing more than whimpers to leave his mouth.

“Shh… stay still.”

He didn’t need to hear those words to follow them through. His body was already punishing him for attempting to move. He let himself relax as much as he could, and soon enough his breaths came more steadily than they had before. His eyes were still closed but he could hear and smell at least. If he strained hard enough, he could hear the sound of something flapping in the wind in the distance, whilst near him was the sound of something pressing, no, grinding against something else. His nose twitched as he tried to identify the scent. It was strong yet not in an unpleasant way. Leaves perhaps?

His curiosity led him to open his eyes, and he found himself looking up at… he wasn’t quite sure. It was dark, the only source of light coming from somewhere he would have to lift his head to see. He didn’t want to endure any more pain, at least not right away. The one thing that was obvious was that he was alive, so that was good. He opened his mouth to ask where he was, but he didn’t get a chance.

“I was hoping you’d stay asleep a little while longer.” The voice seemed closer now; there was a shuffling sound and then footsteps as someone came near. Instinctively he cringed, fearful.

“Don’t hurt me…” His voice was raspy from lack of use.

“I wouldn’t have saved you if I was going to hurt you.” The area seemed to brighten as a candle came into view along with the one holding it. It was then set on the ground next to where he lay. His eyes moved from the flickering flame to the woman who had been holding the source of light.

“Who are you?”

“The one who saved you, but I’m guessing it’s my name you want.” She leaned a little closer so that he could see her properly. She was unfamiliar, that much he knew. Even in this little light he could tell her skin was darker than his, as were her eyes and hair. There was her accent as well; even though he could understand what she was saying, the way she said words sounded different, though not unpleasant. She didn’t seem dangerous, which gave him a little relief. “I’m Rayna. Who are you?”

“I’m-” He wanted to continue but stopped himself. He knew who he was and he knew where he came from. What if this woman returned him to the people he had escaped from? “It’s not… important.” He shifted his eyes so that he was looking at the candlelight once more.

For her part, the woman did nothing more than shrug and shake her head. “Very well, it’s your choice… I’ll call you Serwil then.”

“What’s that?”

Her mouth twitched, eyes crinkling. “It’s not important,” was the reply, voice a little teasing though it returned to normal when she continued to speak. “You were a wreck when I found you; you’d be dead if I hadn’t dragged you in here. Bleeding has stopped and you actually seem better even if you feel like you’re dying.” She reached back for something; when her hand returned the now named Serwil could see a bowl in her hand.

“What’s-”

“A salve,” was the reply. “I’ve been using it on your wounds for the last two days-”

“I’ve been here two days?”

Rayna nodded patiently. “Yes, so you really don’t have to worry about me sending you off on your own. No one passes through here much.” There was a half-smile on her face. “It’s why I stay here. Now hush, I need to put this on your wounds before it dries out and loses its potency.”

It was hard for him to relax, at least until he felt the salve being applied to the wound on his cheekbone. There was a bit of a sting but it was quickly replaced by a cooling feeling instead. It was the touch that surprised Serwil, however. He couldn’t remember being treated so carefully before. It made him feel both happy and stupid.

“Have you done this before?” Now that his voice was no longer too raspy, he felt the need to talk, to communicate, to figure out where he was and whether he was truly safe. “You seem quite good at it… the pain seems to be leaving me.”

“For the moment it is.” Rayna paused in her ministrations, looking at Serwil as she spoke. “Later I will give you a pain numbing tea.”

“So you have done this before,” he concluded, noting she had not replied that part.

“It wouldn’t make sense if I hadn’t,” she answered, a small chuckle escaping her as she looked away.

Serwil remained quiet after that, his gaze leaving Rayna to look back up. Now that his eyes were getting used to the darkness, the entire area seemed brighter. He could finally tell he was not in any sort of house or even a tent for that matter. The ceiling was quite high and craggy, and now that he actually paid attention, he could feel the ground beneath him was cold and as hard as a rock.

“Where are we?” he asked, breaking the silence when he could no longer feel any new salve being applied on him. It was bothersome, not being able to sit up and actually see who he was talking to. He felt vulnerable- no, he was vulnerable, and he didn’t like it.

He waited for an answer but didn’t receive one. Instead, Rayna stood up, rubbing the remaining salve off her hand before brushing at her clothes. It was hard for Serwil to tell what she was wearing in the dark, but he had a feeling that it was probably nothing like the women where he came from. He opened his mouth to speak again, stopping when she walked away. Well, maybe he should have expected that-

The area was suddenly brighter as if someone had removed a curtain from his eyes. As it was, a curtain had been moved to the side, one that allowed light in what he could now tell was a cave. So that was the swishing sound I had heard earlier…

“I live by myself where no one will bother me.” Rayna’s voice could be heard from the distance. Serwil took in a breath, pressing his hands against the ground and pushing himself so that he was a little elevated. Grunting in pain, he forced his body back so that he now reclined against the hard and uncomfortable cave wall. The effort had him breathing heavily, gasping in fact. He could finally see himself properly however, so it was worth the pain.

It made sense that he had so many cuts and bruises on his body as well as broken and bruised ribs, he suspected. As if those bootlickers would have had any mercy. Seeing the many bandages wrapped around his chest, arms and legs… he could only imagine what his face looked like.

He looked toward the cave entrance, where he saw Rayna was watching him. “You looked worse when I found you,” she offered.

Serwil didn’t feel much better hearing that. “It will take days before I get better.”

“It will,” she agreed, letting the curtain fall back down, where she secured it close with what Serwil supposed were hooks. “But judging by the way you didn’t even tell me your name, you’re running from people. Maybe it’s better for you to stay hidden until you’re not as weak as a kitten.”

“You’re not much for comforting a person, are you?”

“Not really,” Rayna replied, a smile on her face. “Coddling leaves a person weak, and you don’t seem like someone who’s used to that.”

*​

It took a good while before all of Serwil’s wounds healed, and nearly a month before he could stand and walk properly. During this time he tried to make himself a little useful, though it was difficult at first. The truth was that despite being good at a great many things like swordplay and archery, he wasn't very good at simpler things like peeling and dicing vegetables.

“I didn't fix you up only to have you bleed to death while peeling a carrot.” The look on Rayna’s face had been one of exasperation that day, and she had promptly sent him away to sort out different piles of herbs.

He had simply brushed it off at that time, though much to Rayna’s amusement, he had kept away from the vegetables since then.

It was like she had fallen into a rhythm of sorts. She hadn’t expected him to be here so long. From what she had grown up with, men were too stubborn for their own good. Most simply wished to be patched up and sent on their way, unless they received some sort of incentive to stay. Serwil was different. He seemed lost in his thoughts most of the time, and when he did talk or answer any of her questions, it was always vaguely. She didn’t know where he was from nor did she know which tribe he belonged to. One thing she did suspect was that he had been born in wealth. His way of speech was much too proper to be of the common folk.

“I’m going out,” she told him one morning. It was still relatively early, but this was the best time to go out and find food.

“I’ll come with you,” Serwil answered groggily, still half asleep.

“And fall over because you aren’t awake yet? You can come tomorrow.”

She left without waiting for him to say anything more. Her heart was beating faster than usual, and she winced when she realized she had been biting on the inside of her lip. Why hadn’t she let him come as well? It was almost as if she was afraid… afraid that he would leave as soon as he stepped outside. Who would wish to stay in a small stuffy cave anyway when there was a whole world to explore?

Why hasn’t he left yet? No, don’t think of that! Her hands clenched and she shook her head. She was being stupid now. So what if he was the first decent man she had met in ages? So what if he was kind and amusing and made no insinuations in her direction? He couldn’t stay, he wouldn’t stay. He didn’t belong here or to her. He probably had a house somewhere, a family, a wife…

Rayna swore out loud, eyes clenching shut. “You’re stupid,” she told herself, hearing the bitterness in her own voice. She had to stop thinking like this and get on with what she was doing. She breathed in and out; her eyes snapped open, ready to focus.

Her cave was located in a craggy mountain range that looked over a savannah on one side and a desert on the other. It was quite normal for caravans to pass by the mountain range as they headed toward the savannah in search of somewhere to stay the night. There was a village there, further than the eyes could see, something of a caravan serai for those weary and in need of rest.

A haven to most people, it was where Rayna had been exiled from. Her eyes narrowed in the direction before she looked away, focusing instead on the passage between the mountain range and the desert. It wasn’t a very honourable thing to do, but she was used to scavenging and picking up things that passing travellers may have dropped during the night. It made no sense to leave them behind, only to be wasted. At least that’s how she looked at it and justified it for herself.

“Hey- hey there!” Her head jerked in the direction of the voice. Coming toward her was somebody. From the distance it was hard to tell how the person looked, especially since their face was covered, probably due to the cold desert night though it would help in the blistering day sun as well.

“I need some help, water…” Rayna’s hand slipped to her waist, just a little away from her trousers’ pocket, where she always kept a knife.

“Who are you?” she asked tersely. “Show yourself… please.” The nicety was an afterthought.

“Oh… of course.” The person pulled down the cowl they were wearing as well as the scarf covering their face, revealing a rather fair man with brown hair and light coloured eyes. “I don’t mean to disturb you, ma’am, I just want some water. I’ll leave you in peace and carry on…” His voice trailed as he wiped at his brow.

It was a moment before Rayna nodded. “Fine, stay there, I'll bring something for you.” She started backward, keeping an eye on the man... and bumped into someone behind her. Startled, she turned around to see Serwil.

“What're you doing out here?” She was both relieved and annoyed at the same time.

“I felt like it…” He wasn't looking at her, rather at the man behind her. Rayna looked back; her eyes narrowed when she saw the man had a knife in his hand.

“So this is where you've been hiding,” he said, a grin on his face as he started forward. “Did you think you'd just be left off the hook? You're wanted, and there's a pretty price I will get for bringing you back.”

“Rayna, go back in.” The look on Serwil’s face was something she hadn't seen in all the days she had taken care of him.

“Who is he?” She looked back at the man, her hand reaching into her pocket for her knife. “Hey, you! If you want water and food, I'll give it to you. We don't want trouble.”

“Rayna, I don't-”

“Give it to me?” The man's grin widened. “There's no giving. I'll be taking your food, your water, and that man there. Move aside, woman, otherwise you're going to end up dead.”

“Just leave us alone-” Rayna had thought the man was simply bluffing, that he wouldn’t actually go through with what he had said. The sudden sharp pain in her belly told her she had thought wrong. She stumbled back against Serwil, eyes looking down at the knife sticking out of her. Already her tunic was being stained with the red of her blood.

“No!” Serwil’s voice was echoing in her mind as she fell, only to be grabbed and helped down instead. “You bastard!”

“My… pocket…” she gasped. Her hand was still holding on to her knife. She pulled it out and not a moment later she felt it leave her grasp.

“You didn’t have to hurt her,” she heard Serwil say, his voice shaking. “You’re going to regret this. Now die.” There was the sound of someone breaking into a run. Was it Serwil? No, she didn’t think so... A whimper left her as she reached for the knife she had been stabbed with. Please don’t let me die… Her hand clenched the handle and she pulled upward, a yell escaping her as she yanked it out and let it fall to her side, her now free hand pressing against the escaping blood.

“Rayna?” There was the sound of footsteps nearing her. She blinked as she saw the familiar albeit blurry face. “Oh no, oh no… no, this can’t be happening again!” She felt herself being lifted off the ground. “I need to take care of this… Tell me what to do, Rayna!”

“Wrap… wrap it up,” she managed. “Then… beyond the trees… there’s a village… they have a healer. Take… take me there…”

It was the last place she had ever wanted to see again, but she couldn’t die now. Not when everything was going well for once!

*​

“S-Serwil?” He turned instantly, looking down at Rayna. She looked disorientated, as if she had no idea where she was.

“Rayna, you’re awake.” He smiled at her, the relief clear in his voice. It had been two days since she had opened her eyes. His own stung with unshed tears but he let them be, feeling the clenched feeling in his stomach slowly relaxing. “How are you feeling?”

“Tired,” was her reply. “Where… where are we? What… the man...”

“We’re in a village near the mountain. You told me about it before you passed out…” Serwil reached over, gently touching her hair. “They let me come in, gave us a tent where the healer could come see you. As for the man… he’s not going to bother us anymore. I made sure of it.”

He watched her for any sort of reaction, but it seemed she was still too out of it, her eyes closing once more. He was glad, truth be told. The village chief had not been happy, ready to turn them away. It was only due to the actual healer that they were allowed to stay until she recovered; the old man had refused to send anyone on the brink of death away.

You all should be ashamed of yourselves,” he had growled. It seemed most of them did feel a little awkward after that, and the chief had grudgingly given Serwil permission to stay in a tent at the edge of the village. When he’d asked the old healer why the chief hadn’t wanted them here, he had received a rather vague answer about strangers disrupting the balance of the village. It seemed to him that it was something else, however.

There was a shuffling sound outside the tent, followed by a cough. Serwil stood up and walked over to the the flap covering the opening, pulling it back to see the old healer.

“How’s she doing?” he grunted as he stepped in, limping over to the pallet on which Rayna lay.

“She was awake just before you came. She opened her eyes and spoke… she seems tired.”

“Only natural,” was the reply. The old man ignored Serwil thereafter, tending to Rayna. The former hovered about behind the two, though one annoyed look sent him to the other end of the tent where he sat down staring at his hands. All sorts of thoughts were clouding his mind, including the fact that he didn’t know the healer’s name.

It seemed like an eternity when he finally looked up, hearing the sound of protesting joints cracking as the healer got to his feet. “How is she? And uh… may I know your name?”

“She’s getting there,” the healer replied. He smirked slightly at the second question. “Only just thought of asking, huh? Name’s Youmas, but most just call me ‘old man’ or ‘Dada’.” He shrugged his shoulders as he looked back at Rayna. “She called me the same too.”

That statement only incited the curiosity in Serwil; he couldn’t keep himself from commenting. “So, you all do know her.”

“Aye, we do.” Youmas looked around before grumbling about the lack of chairs in the tent. He then sat back down, grunting in pain as he leaned heavily on his hands so that he didn’t fall. “Ahh, there we go.” Sighing, he stretched out his legs, rubbing at the knobbly knees under his trousers.

“I’d offer you a better place to sit but…” Serwil shrugged his shoulders, looking a little concerned for the older man.

“No matter,” Youmas replied, shaking his head. “I’ll be having a word with that idiot Zaini, treating guests this way.”

“We have you to thank for letting us stay.” Serwil sat up straight, resting his hands on his knees as he looked directly at the healer. “I thought she was going to die.”

“She would’ve if I hadn’t step in.” The old man didn’t seem to shy away from telling the truth. “But I wasn’t going to let that happen to her.” His eyes narrowed as he shook his head. “She was one of us not too long ago. Her father… well, he was an old friend of mine. Did me lots of favours before he passed. The least I can to honour him is save his girl’s life.”

Serwil hadn’t expected Youmas to give him such details, but now that he had there was no stopping his questions. “She used to live here? Why did she leave?” He looked to the now closed tent. “From what I’ve seen, it seems nice enough here.”

“It was for a time, until Rayna married Zaini’s son.” The old man’s forehead wrinkled. “Zaini is a good man, a leader… a chief we love and rely on. His son was another matter. Sometimes the fruit of a tree looks sweet but is actually bitter. Of course, no one believed he hurt her... nor did I until she came to me one day, half beaten.” His hands shook, jaw clenching as his teeth gritted against each other. “By this time her father had already passed away. Her mother… well no one quite knew who she was. Her father had simply arrived with her one day, saying she was his daughter. Poor lass had no one anymore. Marriage should have given her a family, a haven. Instead, it was the opposite.”

Serwil’s gaze had turned away from Youmas to Rayna and then to the ground. He felt angry that such a thing had happened to his savior. “She saved me,” he blurted out. “I could have died out there, in the desert. I don’t know how, but she managed to get me to her… to where she stays.”

Youmas raised an eyebrow when Serwil refrained from mentioning where Rayna lived, but he seemed to let it go. “Seems she fixed you up good,” he commented, letting out a breath. “I taught her some of my work. I didn’t know how to stop her husband from beating her… the least I could do was help her deal with the pain.” His jaw clenched once more, head shaking tersely. “I should have done something… should have told Zaini…”

“Where’s he now?” Serwil asked, looking at the old man. “Her husband, I mean?”

“Dead,” Youmas replied, sighing loudly.

“Oh.”

“She killed him,” he added in an offhanded manner, smiling bitterly. “It was bound to happen. It was either him or her, and she chose herself. Just like anyone else would’ve.” Once more he shook his head, seeming saddened by the whole situation. “Chief couldn’t take it. Who could blame him? It was his son. Family’s family, after all.”

“No… I don’t believe that.” Serwil looked at Youmas, eyes dark with feeling. “Good is good and wrong is wrong, no matter who does it. It doesn’t matter whether you share the same blood, whether you're a father or a brother.” His eyes lowered to the ground, glassy as they brimmed with tears that threatened to shed.

“What would you know of that?” The old man didn’t sound like he doubted Serwil, rather it was an honest question.

Serwil simply shook his head. “It’s… it’s not something I like to talk about.”

“Fair enough.” Youmas gave the younger man a sympathetic look before struggling to get back up on his feet.

“Here, let me help you-”

The older man waved off the offered help. “It’d be harder for me and you if I took your help,” he muttered, chuckling a little. “Well, I’ll be back tomorrow morning. If anything happens, send for me.”

As he watched the old man limp away from the tent, Serwil couldn’t help but feel a little enlightened. He wasn’t sure if Rayna would have wanted him to know about her past, but at least now he had a little understanding of why she lived such a secluded life.

He did feel guilty that she didn’t know anything about him. What had happened to him was neither more nor less traumatic than what had happened to her. Sighing softly, he moved closer to where she lay, taking her hand in his after he sat down.

Just watching her breathe was a constant boon to him. She was alive, perhaps not well, but she was alive. He had seen one person he had deeply cared for die before his very eyes. The thought that he could have witnessed another such person leave him in a similar way had brought on such a rage upon him that he hadn’t spared any thought, simply grabbing her knife and slaughtering the man.

“I’m glad you’re still here with us, Rayna.” His voice was barely a whisper as he stared down at her hand in his. “That you’re still here with me. Seeing that happen… I still feel this anger, this fear in me.” He squeezed her hand a little. “The thought that I might not have been able to save you, that you would die too…” His head slumped, the tears he had held back for over a month finally knowing no bound.

“I watched him, Rayna… I watched him kill my best friend, a man who was more a brother to me than my own. And I couldn’t do anything…” His spare hand reached up to cover his streaming eyes. “It’s a cruel world… one that punishes the good and spares the evil beings to continue spreading their filth.”

He felt a slight pressure on his hand and quieted, though he didn't uncover his eyes to look at Rayna, feeling too overwhelmed.

“Why… did your… why did he do that?”

It was a good moment before Serwil finally spoke, lowering his hand from his eyes to look at Rayna. “It was my fault.” His voice was low and flat, eyes closing once more as he reached for any strength within him. She deserved to know after bringing him back to life and nearly dying due to him.

“My father… he is the king and I am his second son. My brother was given this country to rule over in his stead while he stays at the castle. My brother…” He hesitated, eyes looking to the ground. “He is not a nice person, Rayna. He has destroyed villages as if it’s a simple game to him. People… they’re not people, they’re his playthings. I don’t know how this happened to him. People can’t simply be evil… I know that much. Perhaps it was the pressure of ruling, or perhaps he had no guidance.

“My word counted as nothing to him. He calls me little brother, but I know he doesn’t truly believe that. I’m only his half brother. Father remarried when his first wife passed away, and so I was born.” He let out a sigh. “I suppose any young boy would hate to see his mother replaced…” His fists clenched. “It was fine as children, but as we grew older, wiser, I could feel it, the resentment, the hatred towards my mother, towards me. When he called me little brother, there was no familial feeling there… only derision”

He stopped, shaking his head, a sad smile on his lips. “For the longest time I wanted to be close to him, like how I would see other siblings playing with one another. Even as a grown man there was something inside me craving for that sort of closeness. I never thought I would get it until I met my friend. His family had returned to the our city after a long time, having served my father elsewhere.” His hand tightened around Rayna’s. “I’m sorry, you’re here injured and hurting, and I’m just talking about silly childish-”

“It’s not silly, Serwil.” The look in Rayna’s eyes was one of understanding, and perhaps something more. “There is nothing else I can do right now. Besides, I want to know.”

He nodded. “It’s only right that you do,” he said softly. “My friend’s name was Ren. He wasn’t a very big or strong man, but he was fast and good with a bow. We would go hunting together quite often. He was a good man, friendly, a little too carefree perhaps… but I loved it. I loved him. My entire life was filled with stiff people and a brother who hated me. Ren was…” He smiled, taking a breath. “He was like the brother I never had. I often told him that, that I wished I had met him before I had.

“ ‘Everything happens for a reason’, that’s what he’d reply.” Serwil’s free hand dug against his knee. “I don’t know that anymore. There had been no reason to kill him… none except that it was the one thing that would tear my heart apart…”

“You don’t have to continue,” Rayna murmured. She knew very well how painful memories felt.

It was tempting to simply stop, but he knew very well that if he did then he wouldn’t be able to finish later on. “When my father sent my brother Kerwin to rule over this country, I was sent with him. Ren was among the soldiers that accompanied my brother. I don’t know what my father was thinking, but Kerwin wasn’t the kind of man who should lead. He showed no mercy, inciting fear in the towns and villages. Ransacking, burning…” His eyes narrowed, forehead wrinkling as he frowned. “It was painful to watch and yet… I didn’t do anything.

“One day though, I couldn’t stop myself, Rayna. He… There was an orphanage not two days walk from here, on the other side of the mountain.” His eyes darkened, reliving that dreadful memory.

*​

Children of all ages, young men and women, and the elderly couple who took care of the orphanage, all were on their knees before Kerwin. It was clear from the looks on their faces that they had heard of what he had done to others who had displeased him. Fear was not a pretty thing to see, but who could really blame them?

“Y-Your Highness-” The old master was cut off immediately by Prince Kerwin.

“I was told you haven’t paid your taxes yet.” He smiled down at the old man, looking quite the handsome man. If one wasn’t acquainted with him, they wouldn’t have believed he was the tyrant others claimed he was. “You know it’s your duty to pay your dues. We grant you security, keeping away the bandits and looters of the desert tribes.”

“Your Highness,” started one of the younger men. “We need more time, please. We can barely feed the young here-” He was cut off as well, but it was by Kerwin’s sword, lashing out like a snake and slicing his throat open.

Screams erupted as the young man fell to his knees, clutching at his throat in vain, bright red blood spurting out of the gaping wound and dripping down his hands onto the dusty ground.

“Silence!” Kerwin’s order was immediately complied with, some of the younger children and even older ones clasping their hands over their mouths to keep from making a sound. “Excuses… oh dear me. What am I going to do when the future is filled with excuse makers?”

He turned around, a hand to his chin, making a show of contemplating. “Little brother! What do you think I should do with these people?”

Kaehl had been sincerely praying his brother would not ask for his opinion. No good ever came from that. His brother wouldn’t listen to him; this was just an opportunity to show how useless he was. Staying silent would do no good either. There was never a good path to take when Kerwin was involved.

“I…” Kaehl looked at the kneeling people, eyes lingering over the silently crying children. “Give them a week, my Prince. I’m sure they will pay you then.”

Kerwin chuckled. “You ask for mercy, little brother? I should have known. Well then… mercy it is.” He tapped at his chin, contemplating some more, and then nodded. “Captain.”

“Yes, Your Highness?” An armoured man stepped forward.

“We must show mercy to these people. Kill them quickly. I want no screaming, we mustn’t scare the horses.”

“What?!” Kaehl looked to Kerwin in disbelief.

Meanwhile, the old man stood up, horror clear on his face. “Your Highness, please!”

“Begging is not pleasant to see.” He turned around just as the captain and his men headed to the people of the orphanage, who in turn tried to run.

“Kerwin, please! This is madness!”

“No,” the prince replied, eyes narrowed as he turned to look at the younger prince. “This is justice. They cannot pay, they speak out of turn, and they expect mercy? They are simply an example I am setting for everyone else.”

“What?” Kaehl spat out. “An example that you’re a cruel, tyrant of a man?”

“Careful, little brother. I don’t like the tone you’re taking with me-”

Kaehl’s fist hit him square in the jaw, causing him to stumble backward.

“You dare hit me?” Kerwin straightened himself, rubbing his face gingerly before speaking. “Men! Grab him!” He smiled coldly. “And bring Ren here as well. I think it’s time my little brother learns a lesson.”

*​

Tears were streaming from Rayna’s eyes, watching the man she had come to care about in so much pain. “I’m so sorry, Serwil… I mean, Kaehl-”

“No.” He shook his head. “I’m not Kaehl. Not anymore. That name belonged to another man, one who was a prince, the son of a king, the brother of a prince. I’m neither. I reject the thought of being related to that beast of a man, or to a king who would cast a blind eye to his son’s misdeeds.”

He let go of Rayna’s hand, only to reach over and gently wipe the tears from her cheeks. “I’m Serwil, and perhaps I have been Serwil longer than I realized.” His hand moved away from her cheek, only to rest on her hair. “It’s terrible, the way I’ve come to find myself here. There are many regrets I have, many sorrows… but I know now that there’s one bright light before me. You.”

“Serwil…” Rayna looked surprised and a little embarrassed.

“It’s the truth,” he replied, leaning close to her. “You saved my life, you kept me in your home. You had no reason to but you did. For this, I’ll always be in your debt. I’ll always-”

“Serwil.” She had to say it before she lost courage. “I… I think I love you.”

He smiled, resting his forehead lightly against hers. “I know… and I think I love you too.”

*​

As always, the sands of times neither hasten nor delay for anyone. It wasn’t long before Rayna could stand once more and move about. She still had to recover though, and Youmas did not wish for her to leave no matter how many times Serwil reassured the old man that he would inform him if anything happened. It seemed as if the healer wished to redeem himself for not having stood up for his friend’s daughter when she had needed him all those days ago.

Rayna wasn’t one to hold a grudge, having known full well that the old man had always wished well for her. “It isn’t his fault,” she had confided to Serwil a fortnight after in being in the village. “I just wish he would understand I’d much rather not be here.”

He, on the other hand, was glad she was somewhere much more comfortable than the cave, where a healer was right at hand. He kept this to himself, however, knowing full well that Rayna would probably sulk from hearing that. Serwil knew why she didn’t want to stay here, but it was no longer the past, and as much as memories were hurtful, they would not kill her like a septic wound might.

Perhaps the person who was most dissatisfied with the arrangement was the chief. Unfortunately, neither Serwil nor Rayna had any warning as to what was about to happen.

*​

“Wake up. Wake up!”

Serwil’s eyes shot open and he immediately sat up. He had gone to sleep not more than an hour at most, but even if he had been in deep sleep, that voice would have awoken him. The amount of hate he felt scared him.

Prince Kerwin was standing at the tent entrance, smiling at him. To any stranger, the two looked nearly identical with their long golden hair, green eyes, and fair skin. To Rayna, now awake and on her feet, the difference between the two couldn’t be more pronounced. The prince’s smile was false, his eyes cold.

“Kaehl, my little brother!” Kerwin stepped forward, his arms spread out as if he wished to embrace his brother. Serwil scrambled to his feet, eyes jerking around the room as he tried to find something weapon worthy. “Imagine my surprise when I was told you were mere days from my camp! Do you know how long I have been searching for you?”

“How did you find me?” Serwil’s voice was harsh, not sharing any false pleasantries with the man he hated.

Kerwin laughed, eyes roaming around the tent before resting on Rayna. “The chief of this tribe is an honourable man,” he mentioned, smile widening. “It seems he is rather upset with a certain girl’s return to his village. It didn’t take long for him to realize who you were.” He looked pointedly at Serwil. “Did you think I was just going to forget about you? That man you killed wasn’t the only one I sent out to search for you. Luckily for me, Chief Zaini informed one of my men that someone of your description was here. I thought it was worth investigating personally.”

Serwil was silent, though there was a twitch in his jaw. It was hard to stay still and not simply race forward and attempt to kill the man standing before him, but he couldn’t, not with Rayna there.

The sound of angry yelling could be heard from outside. “It seems some old fool is not happy.” Kerwin smirked, his eyes moving from Rayna to linger on Serwil. “Let’s see what I can do to give him peace, hm?”

It was as if a cold hand had touched his spine. “Kerwin, no, don’t hurt-”

The prince chuckled. Then, he reached out and grabbed Rayna’s arm. “You will come with me, girl. And you too, Serwil.” Without waiting for an answer, he turned around and marched out of the tent, pulling Rayna behind him.

“No! No, don’t hurt her!” In his frantic state Servil rushed forward, stumbling over Rayna’s pallet and falling to his knees. He didn’t wait, immediately getting back to his feet and rushing out of the tent. By then Kerwin had already moved to the side, still holding on tightly to Rayna’s arm. She seemed to be trying to pull herself out of his grasp, though not quite succeeding.

Before them were a few soldiers holding Youmas, the old man’s eyes blazing in anger. “Zaini, you fool!” The chief of the tribe wasn’t there, however. “Not once, but twice you betray your own!”

“Now, now, old man.” Kerwin he looked down at the healer. “That’s no way to talk about your leader. I take offence on his behalf.”

“Then you’re as much a fool as he is!” Youmas glared defiantly at the prince.

“No Youmas, don’t-” Serwil’s warning was too late, however. One of the soldiers holding the old man had already pulled out a knife; it took only Kerwin’s nod for the knife to slice at the old man’s face, leaving open a raw cut.

Rayna screamed, her free hand reaching for the old man. “Dada! No! Don’t kill him!”

“Now, now, don’t play with an old man.” Kerwin smiled at Rayna. “Worry not, my dear, I’m not a cruel man.” He snatched the knife from the soldier with his free hand.

“Rayna” Youmas sputtered, “shade, shade of the-” He was unable to continue whatever he was saying as Kerwin kicked him right in the stomach.

“Kerwin!” Serwil was shocked at the amount of anger in his voice when he yelled his brother’s name. His wet eyes jerked from the prince to Rayna, now on the ground, weeping as she tried to crawl over to the fallen healer. “You will pay!”

The words only just left his mouth when he felt his arms being grabbed from behind by not one but two pairs of hands. He tried to yank himself away, resulting in nothing more than being kicked in the back of his legs, whereafter he fell to his knees.

“Little brother, it pains me that I must punish you again so soon after reuniting.” Despite his words, there was a smile on his face. “Well, it has been a long day and night has already fallen. I believe I require a little food and rest…” His smile widened. “And perhaps a girl. Yes, this one here should do very well. Come along, girl!”

“No, not Rayna, please-”

“Take him away,” Kerwin ordered. “And for goodness’ sake, tie him up this time.”

It was no use. Fight as he might, Serwil wasn’t strong enough to fight the two men holding him along with the rest of Kerwin’s soldiers. “Rayna…” His voice broke as he watched the prince yank her arm, forcing him after her as he walked to tent specially raised for him.

“Up!” He was forcibly brought up to his feet and then pushed forward. There wasn’t really any reason to push him. He was visibly defeated and had no fight left in him…

“Serwil!” The whisper broke him out of his extended state of stupor. He had been tied outside the village to a tree, close enough to see the lanterns flickering but too far to take any comfort from their light.

He looked up, eyes narrowed as they focused on the person talking to him. No, I’m just dreaming this…

“Focus, Serwil, focus!” Even in a whisper, the sharp voice was familiar.

“Rayna?” Mouth agape, his eyes were now wide as he stared at her. “You’re… he let you-”

“He’s dead,” she muttered, pulling a knife from her pocket. Without another word, she started slicing at his ropes.

“But… how?”

*​

She had known there was nothing Serwil could do, not in this situation. Not only that, she couldn’t guarantee that Youmas would be spared if she did anything but follow the prince’s orders. She couldn’t bear the thought of the old man being hurt even worse, killed on her account.

Especially after he had given her the solution.

Rayna knew what Kerwin wanted. Killing her would give Serwil pain, but eventually it would fade. Keeping her and using her like a common slave girl would cause a never ending anger and pain, an ongoing lesson to continuously rub in his little brother’s face.

The tent was comfortably furnished for the prince, including a lush bed with cushions along with food and wine set on a table to the side. “Go now,” he ordered his soldiers, giving them a wink. “Have your try at the local foods and wine. Women too.”

Rayna stiffened at his words, and this was noticed by Kerwin. “Only those who aren’t paired, mind you.” He grinned at her. “No one shall call me a separator of man and wife. And you, my dear, I know are not wed. You killed your husband, didn’t you?”

She nodded. “So I was told.” Kerwin chuckled as he finally let her go, reclining on the bed. “I know you won’t run. You look like a smart girl, and smart girls know what happens to those they love when they displease me.” He winked at her before nodding to the table. “Bring me something to drink, girl. We are going to have a long night. Might as well start it with something sweet, at least at the beginning.”

“Yes sir,” Rayna replied, her voice shaking slightly. She walked to the table, her back facing Kerwin as she took hold of a pitcher of wine, carefully pouring it into a goblet.

As she did, she recalled Youmas’ words. Thank you, Dada. Shade of the night was a deadly poison she had learned of when she still lived in the village. It had been a last attempt to help her when she feared her life was in danger due to her husband. She had never used it, her husband having succumbed to a knife instead. All those months it remained in her pocket, safely tucked away in the form of a round pill.

Her one hand reached into her pocket, while the other hand picked up some dates from a tray. As she dropped the pill in the wine, she set the dates in a bowl.

“Per-perhaps Your Highness would like to eat something first?” Rayna turned and walked back to Kerwin, holding both the goblet and the bowl of dates. The pill dissolved quickly, but a little extra time to make sure wouldn’t hurt.

Kerwin raised an eyebrow before reaching out and taking a date. “Yes, lovely, quite fresh. I hate the desert, but I must admit these are quite delightful. As is the date wine made here.” He looked pointedly at the wine, nodding his head. Taking this as her cue, Rayna held the cup out for him to take, lowering her head in a semblance of respect. It was hard not to watch as the prince took a long sip of the wine.

“Mmm, delicious, a little extra spicy I believe.” His grin had a leery air. “Much like the desert girls, I hear.” Saying that, he grabbed Rayna by the arm, yanking her over to him. His hands roamed over her, taking several liberties as his lips pressed against her neck.

Rayna cringed inwardly, eyes shutting in disgust.
Not… long…

It felt like hours later though it was not more than a couple of minutes before she heard him begin to cough. His hands remained on her even after he removed his mouth from her, trying to catch his breath.

“More wine?” she asked, turning in his lap, a soft smile on her face.

Kerwin nodded, reaching a hand out for the goblet, but another coughing fit kept him from being able to take hold of his drink.

“Oh dear…” The smile lingered on Rayna’s lips. Her mind was working fast, however. The last thing she needed was someone coming in to check on the prince. She grabbed a cushion from behind him and brought it down on his face. He was already choking; she was simply expediting the inevitable.

*​

“I killed him.” Rayna finally cut the ropes tying Serwil to the tree. “It doesn’t matter. Nothing matters except that we leave here. No one knows what has happened yet, and they won’t know for a while. His men are off drinking and whoring. Come morning and they will know what I’ve done.”

Serwil stood up shakily. “You shouldn’t have had to bear the burden, Rayna. I’m sorry. I failed you twice-”

Rayna placed her hands on either side of his face, eyes dark as they bore into his. “That is all the past, Serwil. Right now… we must leave.” She paused a moment before leaning close, pressing her lips against his in a brief but heartfelt kiss. “I love you Serwil, and the last thing I want is for you to hurt again.”

“I should be the one saying that to you.”

“It doesn’t matter who says what to whom,” Rayna replied, smiling at him. “The feeling will always be mutual. It only matters that we’re alive and together.”

“Youmas…”

Rayna’s lips trembled a little. “He… he’ll understand. It’s better like this, Serwil. They can’t blame him or hurt him for our escape. Come now… please.” She took hold of his hand, leading him away from the trees to the village stables, where both the soldiers’ horses as well as the villagers steeds were housed.

“Kerwin won’t be missing his horse,” Serwil muttered. He instantly recognized his brother’s prized horse, a strong black mare who was docile enough to take the brunt of his whip. “Up you go, Rayna.” He couldn’t help but look over his shoulder more than once, scared that the stable-hand may come, even though it was late enough at night that anyone without nefarious plans would be asleep.

It wasn’t long before he too was on the horse, his arms around Rayna as he held the reins. It had been a while since he rode a horse, but a lifetime’s practice wasn’t shed due to a two-month forced hiatus. He slowly rode the horse to the mountain range, stopping just outside the entrance of Rayna’s cave.

“I wonder if things would have been different if I had simply stayed inside.” He shook his head, letting out a soft breath.

“Your brother would have found us eventually,” Rayna replied, looking back at him.

“Not my brother.” Serwil pressed his forehead against her hair. “Never my brother. I have no family except you.”

Rayna was quiet as she laid her hand over his, squeezing gently. “That is more than fine by me, Serwil,” she finally murmured. Lifting his hand, she pressed her lips against it.

“Let’s go, my love.”

• Love
Reactions: Dipper
Bleak and cloudy, it was the perfect day for a young vampire to venture outside. Instead, sixteen year old Nisha Laurent was spending her time inside, sprawled on her bed as she picked through Wuthering Heights, a novel she had to read for school. It was bland and boring in her opinion and she would have given anything to put it away. In fact, it was apparently so boring for Nisha that the words blurred over, and soon enough she had dozed off, face pressed against page forty-seven.

The sound of her bedroom door opening and the subsequent footsteps caused her to blink awake, just in time to see her mother, Radha, heading towards her closet.

"No! Don't open that door!"

In a flash Nisha leapt off her bed and raced for the closet, reaching it just in time to stop the rather bewildered woman from opening it.

"Don't be silly now, Nisha," Radha scolded, motioning with her free hand at the clothes she had hanging over her arm. "I already know all about the more graphic Japanese comics you hide in there. Believe me, with two vampires in the house, any element of surprise in my life has been long gone. Now please, open the door."

A nervous laugh escaped Nisha. "Uh, well… I only have those ones to practice different art styles.” It was no secret that she wanted to be a manga artist, even if she did try to hide the sketchier of her graphic novels. “Anyway, eh, you can just put my clothes on the bed, I'll hang them myself."

The expression on her mother's face was now quite suspicious, and Nisha could only imagine the thoughts that were going through Radha’s mind, probably wondering what other nefarious things were hidden in there.

"Nisha Laurent." The young vampire sighed; whenever her mother called her with both her names it meant she was serious. "Open the door now and I won't get upset."

Nisha was about to say something but stopped when she heard her mother mutter in Hindi. This was another telltale sign that Radha was becoming annoyed, and the last thing Nisha wanted was to cause her already sick mother any more stress. So without further ado, she pulled the door open.

Radha eyed the closet as if looking for something unusual. “You know Nisha, you can talk to me about anything, right?” She pulled moved a couple of hung hoodies to the side to make place for the clothes she had to hang.

“I know Maman…” Nisha was fiddling with the hem of her shirt, clearly nervous about something.

“You’re a teenager and life can be hard,” her mother continued, carefully hanging the blouses in a colour coded fashion. “There may be things you wish to try…”

“Yeah, Maman…” Just hurry up already… The conversation was becoming unbearable.

“It’s so different from when I was in India-” Radha stopped in mid-sentence and moved back, her fingers having brushed against something strange. “What on Earth?” Tentatively reaching into the closet once more, she pulled aside a dress, and there in all its glory was a skeleton wearing a top hat, standing rather rigidly against the back of the closet.

"I guess the cat is out of the bag now.” With that, the skeleton took a step forward, attempting a half bow. When that didn’t work out well, it took hold of Radha's free hand, giving it a polite and rather toothy peck.

"..." Radha seemed momentarily stunned. "Is that you, Skellington?"

"Ahaha, I would rather go by Randall if you do not mind-"

"Yeah Maman," Nisha interrupted, “it's Skellington." The living skeleton was an old family friend who had been off the grid for quite a while. Nisha's father had managed to find him and had wanted to keep him as a secret until Halloween to surprise his wife, who quite enjoyed the flamboyant skeleton's antics.

"Oh my goodness, how long have you been here?”

"Just the one day, Maman," Nisha cut in once more with a sigh.

"Have you been stuck in Nisha's closet all this time?" Radha seemed rather scandalized by this thought.

"Papa wanted to keep him as a surprise for Halloween, he was going to have him sent over to Uncle Ravan's later tonight. Don’t worry, he wasn’t peeking or being a creeper-"

"No, no, this will not do! To the guest room with you. It has been so long since we met, there's so much catching up to do..." The teenage vampire watched as her mother dropped the rest of the clothes she had been holding on the bed. With both hands free, she clasped Skellington's bony wrist and practically dragged him out of the room.

Well, so much for that surprise, Nisha thought, shaking her head. To think I'm gonna have to put my clothes away after all. Well... At least it'll be fun to watch Papa cry like someone in my manga.

An info dump on the world of Yaseef. Needs much expansion.

There are 7 races in total.

Avian
Canis
Capris
Equin
Felie
Naga

And of course the Drakon as well (humanoid with dragon like wings and powers which help them tame dragons). They are, however, very exclusive, a dying breed, and always royalty.

Avians, of course, are bird people. Avian's wings are usually around the same shade as their hair, which is usually more vibrant than other races. Their eyes are also a dark hue than normal.
They can obviously fly well, once they learn. They aren't naturals at first, unless they are geniuses or something. They have good eyesight in the morning, very bad at night time.

Avians are a very proud race, so can become conceited, jerks, etc. Doesn't mean all are, of course, but the majority yes. They can be healers, but it's rare.

Canis are the dog like people. They usually have floppy dog ears, but can also have pointed ones as well. They also have tails.
Their eyesight is average, but their hearing and sense of smell is heightened. They can travel long distances without tiring.

They are hoarders by nature, and generally normal people, though they tend to dislike Felie.

Capris are goat like people, and basically look like your typical faun, although not all of them are short.
They are a little lazy by nature, but rather tough in a scrap. They stay mostly near farms and mountains since their furry bodies become rather hot and itchy. They are known for their Caprician ale, and are rather avid drinkers.

Equin are centaurs, basically. Their hair and body colour usually coincides.
They are the most levelheaded of the races. They keep out of places of trouble, which is why it was rare to have one in the arena, and now in the fight clubs. They also tend to have quite a bit of magic, usually becoming healers.

They're very good at travelling, but their horse bodies obviously tend to make certain things hard. You won't find an Equin falling in love with another race, simply because unless they can shift, it's not going to work.

Felie are obviously the cat people. Once again, their hair, ears and tail coincide. They have cat like eyes and have claws that extend and can do quite a lot of damage. Their instincts are catlike, and they have an aversion for water.

Felie are considered a bit like third world. Unless they are extremely successful, they are not thought as anything too great, which is proven by how cheap the Felie potion was in comparison to Naga, for example. However, Felie don't let that get them down, and they stick their noses in whatever they want. They are cautious, but curious, a very weird combo.

Naga are the snake people. They are, as mentioned quite a bit, very beautiful people. Their skin is pale and their hair very smooth and silky like. They usually tend to have yellow eyes, but that is not a rule. They have fangs, kind of like a vampires, and a poison that is secreted when they bite.

They are rather sneaky, stealthy and quick, and can even surprise an alert Felie. This is good because their bodies are not really made for cold. They get really cold during the night unless in a warm place, so their movements and reflexes are slower.

Every Naga can heal, but it's a skill that has to be learned. The poison they excrete cannot be completely cured except by the one whose poison it is, or a very powerful healer.

Port Hayran
Telaga
Fida
Nagina

Petalin (separate Island with its own monarchy)

The King (name currently not know/not important)
Riyuta the Princess
Mika (Ex Captain of the Royal Army)
Bram (the strongest healer and mage in Yaseef)
Astra (Captain of the Royal army)
Dag (Astra's slave and right hand man)

While magic is part and parcel of this world, not everyone has a talent for it or access to it. Potions and magic crystals are available. TBA

The animals in Yaseef are a lot like those from Earth, but they also include races that are not exactly normal.

Flies- Three feet tall green flies that have stingers and tend to throw up on those they attack
Rabbit- These can grow up to four feet. They are rather wild and rabid and crazy, with fangs and claws that will easily rip flesh.
Leviathans- These are situated in the sea and oceans.
Dragons- They are a lot like Earth's Western dragons
Kirin- More TBA

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Spekkun