Greatest Romantic Couples in Literature & Film

Status
Not open for further replies.
O

Ochalla

Original poster
Romeo and Juliet. Samson and Delilah. Marc Anthony and Cleopatra.

What do they have in common? They're all horrible examples of love and romance. Oh, and everyone dies horribly and tragically. Granted Romeo and Juliet was written as a satire and Marc Anthony and Cleopatra is a romanticism of historic events, but how did these become the marks of great romance? I don't know but we can do better then this.

So Iwaku, who is some of your favorite romantic couples and why?

• Love
Reactions: Lady Sabine
For the obligatory Disney example, Simba and Nala. They both bring out each other's strong points and help them with their downfalls. Nala encourages Simba to be humble and responsible; he encourages her to be brave and dedicated. They were kids together and remained (emotionally) loyal for many years of separation, and still loved each other even though both of them had undergone vast transformations. I'd say out of all the Disney couples, theirs is both the most compelling and the best example to set for kids.

Out of classic literature, I'd have to lean towards Winston and Julia from 1984, if only because most older novels focus on horribly unhealthy (Wuthering Heights) or incredibly sexist (everything Greek). Theirs is a romance as much intellectual as physical or emotional, and I really like it for that. Yes, 1984 is depressing and their romance, predictably, ends on a depressing note, it is worth considering that their shared discovery of the forbidden fruits in their grimdark Garden of Eden was the high point of the book. What they share is the greatest example of self-expression, and they are allowed to be themselves around each other and only each other. I can safely say that, of the books I was assigned to read in high school, 1984 was the only one which had a love story that interested me.

In contemporary film, I'd probably go for Tony Stark & Pepper Potts from the Marvel Cinematic Universe. While in the first Iron Man they were cute, the development between them and of Pepper's character is fairly superb. It helps that the actors have good on-screen chemistry, but the writing is what really brings them out as a couple. They complete each other in no small way, help each other through hard times and celebrate the good- and they are equal partners in the relationship, which is something that a lot of film couples can't say. One is usually clearly in charge, with xir partner being along for the ride (read: every action hero's girlfriend is useless). In an almost-unique example, especially for superhero movies, Pepper is allowed to take charge formally, not just behind the scenes, and is shown to be incredibly intelligent, organized, and arguably a much better leader and follower both than her SO.

Chibiusa and Helios

Helios-and-Chibiusa-sailor-mini-moon-rini-24580461-330-231.jpg

I have just always been stuck on them. A love that you can only see in your dreams and summon in your most dire times of need. Chibiusa and Helios have a relationship that rises above any known romance and withstands both the realities and fantasies of life. Their relationship will always hold a very special place in my heart and mind.

Maybe not the most romantic, but one of the most recognizable in contemporary film.

1024.titanic.leo.mh.112812.jpg

Reactions: Fijoli
StardustYandT.jpg

Yvaine and Triston from Stardust!

I love how their relationship grew and developed!

• Love
WHY IS THIS QUESTION SO HARD TO ANSWER?!

55938_1103792868.jpg

Daine and Numair
from Tamora Pierce's Immortal Quartet

This was a series I read when I was in... I wanna say middle school? I loved how their relationship started as a teacher and student and slowly grew into a romance. And yes, Numair is quite older than Daine (which was addressed in the book by him) but the amount of respect, harmony, and love between these two characters have kept them as my favorites all these years.

I don't have any examples from contemporary film... I think it would help if I saw more movies.

@Xnijmai and His Love of Giant Robots

images

Satine and Christen from Moulin Rouge. Satine was the star attraction in the show, and a prostitute. A fine actress, she was loving, kind and feisty. She didn't believe in love, that is until Christen came along. Christen was a bohemian, who fell in love with her. Together, they created a story not that much unlike Romeo & Juliet. They brought out the best in one another, she taught him to slow things down a bit and accept somebody else's flaws while he taught her unconditional love. It was a perfect balance that ended tragically.

images

Buttercup and Westly. They made one another, he was a witty man with a pure heart and she was tender and loving. Their love made them stay loyal to one another, soul bound. When she thought that Westly died, she died with him. Sure, she was engaged to this moron:

slide_252557_1563857_free.jpg

but her heart belonged to Westly no matter what trial she went through. He waited so long to see her, going through hell to get her back. He even came back from the dead to be with her.

I just think that their union was harmonious.

• Love
Deunan and Briareos from the Appleseed movies. <3

briareosdeunan.png

ghkGmfUDN389Q3apyhakXm4dbih.jpg

Navarre and Isabeau from Ladyhawke. Not only was it a phenomenal story, one that I watched many times, but their story was really touching. A forbidden romance, mixed with pure, complete dedication. Ah, yeah. Those two would go to the ends of the earth for each other. I only wish I could write a story like theirs.

• Love
Anne Shirley and Gilbert Blythe from Lucy Maud Montgomery's Anne of Green Gables series. Eight long books tell the story of their love, from the time they were childhood enemies to the time when they were an old and happy couple, eight long books that if read would be impossible not to appreciate, not to feel the sweetest of charms bloom from within.

Oh noes my girl is about to show.

-Satine and Tristan from Mulan rouge (Even though it was already said)
-Elizabeth Bennet and Mr. Fitzwilliam Darcy from Pride and Prejudice

• Love
Reactions: IceChateau777
Status
Not open for further replies.