Greatest movies that all kids should watch?

Indian in the cupboard!

And ET

Before I even clicked I was thinking The Princess Bride. I used to watch that all the time when I was a kid.
Definitely anything Miyazaki, or Studio Ghibli in general. The Cat Returns is a good one.
Bolt and Spirit are two of my favorites, as is Felidae but that is anything but child friendly >.<
When old enough 10 Things I Hate about You. That is one of the greatest movies ever and one of the only ones I can watch over and over again.

Lion King, no question.
I cannot watch Lion King or Bambi without blubbering like a baby.....

Before I even clicked I was thinking The Princess Bride. I used to watch that all the time when I was a kid.
Definitely anything Miyazaki, or Studio Ghibli in general. The Cat Returns is a good one.
Bolt and Spirit are two of my favorites, as is Felidae but that is anything but child friendly >.<
When old enough 10 Things I Hate about You. That is one of the greatest movies ever and one of the only ones I can watch over and over again.
I never knew it until I took a Shakespeare course, but 10 Things I hate about you is based on Taming of the Shrew. lol

And Icystorm, you're my new favorite person! <3 Wind Through the Keyhole. It's like an adult fairy tale. <3

I never knew it until I took a Shakespeare course, but 10 Things I hate about you is based on Taming of the Shrew. lol
And Icystorm, you're my new favorite person! <3 Wind Through the Keyhole. It's like an adult fairy tale. <3

I only knew when someone told me it was based off of that. Haha.
:propeller: I feel special now! Oh my gosh I was so happy when he wrote another book for The Dark Tower series. I was so mad at how it ended but Mr. King made up for it by writing The Wind Through the Keyhole. I hope it is part of the movies/tv series being made.

I've kind of given up hope that they'll ever pull the movies off. :( I was excited when there was a rumor that HBO might be picking them up and turning it into a series like Game of Thrones. Honestly, I think if people had any idea just how epic the entire series is there would be a lot more support for it. I have been a Stephen King fan all of my life, but for years I kind of skipped over DT, although I don't know why. But the moment I read Gunslinger I was hooked, and I've been an addict ever since. Wind through the Keyhole is my second favorite in the series. The first would be Wolves of the Calla. I can never get enough of that book.

This was posted not too long ago so there is still hope.
http://www.mtv.com/news/1950494/stephen-king-the-dark-tower/
Plus never give up hope. Stephen King himself says so! "Remember, Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies."

Ok now when I have kids they are going to be scarred because I will make them watch Stephen King >:)

To be honest, a lot of the movies coming out now are incredibly good. I know as a child, and I'm not that old now, I watched 90% of the movies mentioned within this thread. Mainly with my dad, who HEAVILY influenced my tastes. I actually really love 80s movies, like License to Drive, Sixteen Candles, and other things like that. I absolutely adore the Princess Bride, The Neverending Story( the second one wasn't as good. ), Howl's Moving Castle I loved, oh, and you guys should really have your kids watch Hocus Pocus on Halloween. That one's a tradition for me.

As for Disney movies, they're still really great, to me. Heck, even the actual channel's movies are decent, especially the older ones. Interstellar was a knock out of the park as far as I'm concerned( Though I wouldn't call it a children's movie. ) I'm frankly more worried about children's toys than the movies. Lately my little cousin will be watching cartoons and the commercials come on, and I'm bombarded by all these stupid toy advertisements. They must be finally running out of ideas.

There's a lot of cute anime out there, though, for children. I know Studio Ghibli really got me into the heavier anime that I like today; Spirited Away, Ponyo, The Secret World of Arriety.

I do have one recommendation, though. Have 'em watch the movie Epic. It's pretty new but it was adorable and very well done.

I forced my children to watch Princess Bride tonight. (Gasp! I'm such a horrible mother! At least you'd think I was from their reaction.)
Anyway, I was thinking of all the movies that I watched as a kid, Labyrinth, The Neverending Story, Ghostbusters, the good stuff before kids movies turned to shit. I decided that I'm going to make a list for next year of all of the movies my kids should see while I'm still in control of their TV/Movie viewing, and I plan on watching one with them every Friday night starting next year when we move back up north with my husband.
Anyone want to contribute to my list?
I think what movies you show them depends on how you want them to turn out. ; ) Personally, all the Disney films. I still have all the pre-2000 animated films on VHS. Then a few of the sequels like the Lion King and The Little Mermaid ones. Then fun movies like The Swan Princess movies and Quest for Camelot. The Miyazaki movies are good, though I don't if I would show them Princess Mononoke if you're sensitive about showing them any kind of gory things.

I agree with @Fox of Spades on Coraline. It's a fun, adventurous movie that fuels the imagination. I also agree with @Hatsune Candy and @Minibit with their suggestions of the Iron Giant and Indian in the Cupboard. I read the book for the latter. The Mouse and Motorcycle was good as movie and book. If you wanna cry happy tears, watch an old movie called Andre. It's about a seal. It's so cute. =]

I have many more, since all I did was watch movies and Nick Jr. when I was little.

The Mouse and Motorcycle was good as movie and book.
I remember that from elementary school, we read the book and then watched the movie in class.
We also read the other two books in the trilogy and watched those movies as well.

Jesus Christ that was such a long time ago, though, at least 9 years. Soo many fond memories...

I only knew when someone told me it was based off of that. Haha.
:propeller: I feel special now! Oh my gosh I was so happy when he wrote another book for The Dark Tower series. I was so mad at how it ended but Mr. King made up for it by writing The Wind Through the Keyhole. I hope it is part of the movies/tv series being made.
Lol! I let my oldest daughter watch Rose Red, not exactly scary. She wants to see Pet Cemetery, and that is one movie that's a bit too much horror for her.

I've never even heard of half the movies being said. Not sure if I had a horrible childhood, or I'm just much older.

There was one more I was hoping someone would mention, I could not for the life of me recall the name of it, but it was a Jim Henson movie....It's driving me nuts because I know I watched it, and it was pretty good but it didn't stick out enough for the name to be in my head. Either that or I'm way too burnt out at the moment. @_@

Honestly though, I kind of steer clear of anything involving Disney princesses. Not just the feminism thing my husband always accuses me of, but I have a son who just doesn't dig princesses in anyway unless they're being trapped in a tower by Bowser.

But most of the movies I've read over look pretty good, and I'll admit the kid in me is a bit excited to watch things that I missed growing up. lol

I remember watching "James and the Gaint Peach" on VHS over and over again. I wouldn't go to school if I didn't get to see it in the mornings. I wore out the first VHS and it snapped and I refused to go to school for a week until my parents got it for me again. But after that one was worn out they didn't get me the VHS again. I can honestly say I've seen that move over 100 times and I still watch whenever I feel down. Another movie you should show them is "The Bicentennial Man", "A.I." is another good one. "Bug's Life" is another good one. I remember watching "Tremor's" with my dad and being so terrified of going outside for a good month. But now that I'm older, I'm not scared of it anymore and its very funny. You should also watch "Belle" with them. It came out in 2013, but its message is very strong and it made a big impact on my family when we watched it together.

Reactions: ᴛᴏᴄᴋᴀ
To be honest, a lot of the movies coming out now are incredibly good. I know as a child, and I'm not that old now, I watched 90% of the movies mentioned within this thread. Mainly with my dad, who HEAVILY influenced my tastes. I actually really love 80s movies, like License to Drive, Sixteen Candles, and other things like that. I absolutely adore the Princess Bride, The Neverending Story( the second one wasn't as good. ), Howl's Moving Castle I loved, oh, and you guys should really have your kids watch Hocus Pocus on Halloween. That one's a tradition for me.
As for Disney movies, they're still really great, to me. Heck, even the actual channel's movies are decent, especially the older ones. Interstellar was a knock out of the park as far as I'm concerned( Though I wouldn't call it a children's movie. ) I'm frankly more worried about children's toys than the movies. Lately my little cousin will be watching cartoons and the commercials come on, and I'm bombarded by all these stupid toy advertisements. They must be finally running out of ideas.
There's a lot of cute anime out there, though, for children. I know Studio Ghibli really got me into the heavier anime that I like today; Spirited Away, Ponyo, The Secret World of Arriety.
I do have one recommendation, though. Have 'em watch the movie Epic. It's pretty new but it was adorable and very well done.
I absolutely loved Epic! It was so cute. Definitely one of my more recent favorites along with Mister Magorium's Wonder Emporium. Not that recent, but I probably wouldn't have even thought of it if a friend hadn't suggested I watch it. I'm a sucker for any movie with a happy ending.

Reactions: Hatsune Candy
Ya know, if we're gonna mention some newer movies, I really just need to say it. The Lego Movie. It's a nostalgia trip and a half and I loved every minute of it, there is literally nothing about this film that I don't like.

Seriously, when I finally got The Lego Movie on DVD/Blu-ray, I must've watched it at least twice a day that following month; I loved it just that much.

Who Framed Roger Rabbit? !!!!

I loved that movie, although it wasn't until I was older that I figured out the whole 'patty cake' thing and realized I had just witnessed the equivalent of cartoon sex. lol

Reactions: Razilin
@Alexa Ray YES!!! YUSH YUSH YUSH!!! Guardians of the Galaxy is awesome! Despite the cussing. But, if you want to, you can tell them why it's funny!

But, I am going to contribute Spirited Away. My father showed me that movie when I was 5, and I started to care more about my parents after that. Yes, it's kinda scary.... but, it helps!

I'm going to once again mention Spirited Away and Howl's Moving Castle

I got to experience Spirited Away at a young age ( Like 6 or 7) I love Spirited Away so much, I re watch every now and then ^ ^

And I only recently got to watch Howl's Moving Castle... but those movies are so good. I think they're great for anyone to watch really

Finding Nemo and Disney's The Little Mermaid! Both of these movies made my childhood awesome!