Great Demon Hunter Daiki

"I know that." Daiki quickly retorted, "Besides, it's your job as my Servant to deal with strangers and all that informal crap."

He then sat down and pulled out a new cigarette and placed it in his mouth.

"Oh, he wanted to find the Shrine maiden?," Genno said, "She is a nice little girl. Though with the repairs on the Temple means she's living with her relatives in Tokyo."

"Figures..." Daiki muttered.

Irene watched Daiki sit and pull himself a new cigarette then looked at the old man and smirked. "Well then, you must have said something to ruffle his fur." That was the only time he used the "Servant-job" card with her.

"So, your name is Genno and you're here to speak to Manami. I couldn't help but overhear the convo." Daiki had a tendency to attract the oddest of oddballs, hence her ability to multi-task and divide her attention proved very useful. "We're having pizza and soda right now and I don't want to spook the girl." She didn't like the idea of people popping up at a shrine but if he was evil, the god-beasts would have sensed it. However, that was just one of her questions. "By the way, do you make it a habit to keep track of the souls of your former students?"

"I am a priest of the Buddha," Genno explained, "Since you are a Greek, I shall have to yell you a story about who I am.But I recommend that we sit."

Sitting down, the eldery priest then struck his beard, "Now, where to begin... Ah yes."

He then cleared his throat and spoke:

"After much weary travel, I came to the moor of Nasu, and was about to rest under the shadow of a great stone, when a fox informed me: "Rest not under this stone. This is the Killing-Stone. Men, birds, and beasts have perished merely by touching it!"

This struck my curiosity, and I asked the fox if it would favor me with the story of the Killing-Stone.

Thus fox spirit began: "Long ago there was a fair girl living at the Japanese Court. She was so charming that she was called the Jewel Maiden. Her wisdom equaled her beauty, for she understood the ways of the spirits. One night, the Emperor gave a great feast. It was a feast of great bounty. However, a demon raced across the sky, and there was not a star to be seen. The demon hid all the light across the world, including the stars. The emperor became sick, and grew so ill that a magican had to be summoned for. The magician then stated, with much warmth of language, that the Jewel Maiden was a harlot and cursed the Emperor in order to destroy him. When the maiden was rejected she resumed her original shape, that of a fox, and ran away to this very stone on Nasu moor."

"Who are you?" I asked the demon.

"I am the demon that once dwelt in the breast of the Jewel Maiden! Now I inhabit the Death-Stone for evermore!"

"Though you have sunk low in wickedness, you shall rise to virtue again. Take this priestly robe and begging-bowl, and reveal to me your fox form."

Then the wicked spirit cried pitifully: "In the garish light of day I hide myself away! I only come out at night."

For days and nights, I read various scriptures and asked the gods to help save this fallen spirit. I

On the seventh day, I summoned the fox spirit once again. The world around me became twisted and grey. I then sensed a vicarious glare in the grey. Suddenly the spirit turned into a beautiful maiden.

The spirit confessed to me that in the form of the Jewel Maiden she had desired to bring destruction to the Imperial line, "I am Tamamo-no-Mae. I was gloating over the thought of the Emperor's death, and I may have succeeded in my scheme if I hadn't been discovered by the agent of the Organization. I was hunted by the Imperial Court for years to come, until I sank exhausted into the Killing-Stone. All I wish is live a life of peace now."

She then collapsed to my feet and swore to live a life of virtue from then on out."

Daiki kept his eyes narrowed on the priest. He had heard this tale many times but had a hard time believing it.

"As for keeping track of my students. Yes, I often times do." Genno said.

Irene smiled. She enjoyed a good story, especially if it had some sort of personal connection to Daiki. Nothing like ruffling his fur a bit. "Welcome to the Osaka Shrine, priest. I don't suppose pizza and soda are your thing so how about some tea while we wait for Manami to finish up?"

"I would be most grateful, thank you."

"You're going to serve him some tea. Just like that."

"That's the plan," Irene said. She disappeared and reappeared with a few cups and some green tea, then made a cup for Genno. "I don't suppose you're the type to attract monsters to you on a regular basis," she remarked to the old man.

"No, my Greek friend I do not attract monsters. Though, it is not uncommon for my line of work to find so-called demons and help them cross-over to the other side....In fact that reminds me of another story..." Genno said.

Daiki decided to take another stroll. He knew damned well that Irene had a habit of wanting to know more about her partner in crime, even if it ruffled his fur. Making himself appear as causal as possible, he put his hands in coat pocket again and walked towards the area where Manami was still paging through the list of hawt guys Irene had taken over the years. This was chiefly done via ambush style. Irene had it down to an artform especially now with the magic of digital photography.

"I see you're still having your fun and pizza. Lord knows Irene goes out of her way to get food here...Hell, I remember the time when we were in Chicago and she decided to summon all the pizza delivery dudes just to get a veggie pizza."

Daiki sucked at small talk.

Meanwhile Genno had finished his story and was enjoying his tea. "Ah, so you're a Gorgon. Is that, by chance, the one slain by that Greek hero ..." Irene blinked. Oh no, no no no no, he wasn't going to say it! "... Perseus."

Irene's bloodcurdling scream pierced the air!

Manami suddenly stopped in mid-sentence. "Oh! What was that?" she asked, clamping her hand over her ears. That had to be the worst sound she had ever heard. Much worst than someone digging their nails over a chalk board. "Daiki? Daiki!" She opened one eye and then another, only to find he had disappeared again! Typical!

The peaceful night had become not so peaceful. The wind had picked up, dark clouds were gathering, and Irene's hair and dress were beginning to blow in the increasingly powerful gusts. She was still seated with her knees tucked under her but her eyes were glowing and she had claws. Grr ... She HATED that name! Her lips pulled back, revealing sharp teeth and there were scales on her arms.

Genno was wise enough to begin pulling back!

A long snake's tail began to grow out from under Irene's skirt, thrashing around!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjmvui-jylQ"]YouTube- Fate Stay Night OST Track 21 Taiko No Denshou[/ame]

Daiki came charging in. Even though Irene was the closet thing he had to a friend, her true nature, much like his could alway manifest itself at any given time. He turned the mask so it fully covered his face. However, two bright red pairs of pupils glowed through them.

"Good going old man! You brought out Stheno."

Daiki then grabbed Genno and tossed him out of the room towards were Manami was. He had no time to try and convert the shrine into greyspace, Daiki would have to use his mother's abilities on Irene's true form.

Stheno and her sister Euryale were immortal while the third sister, Medusa was mortal. Of the three Gorgons, she was known to be the most independent and ferocious, having killed more men than both of her sisters combined.

She then clawed at Daiki with a paibrass claws. However, his kitsune instincts told him to dodge out of the way. It was soon to become a skirmish between the serpent and the fox. Both beings were cunning in the folklore that they had originated from.

Daiki then gritted his teeth, "Kitsune-ken!"

Since he knew damned well that he could not kill Irene in her true form, he could still outwit her since the role of the trickster is always more powerful than the monster.

Daiki didn't expect Irene to understand why he was doing random hand gestures but he soon drew upon the shape of the fox.

"Sorry Stheno. The fox's power over demons is such that a mere symbol of my clan can dispel the evil energy, that flows from the northeast. Added in with the fact that you are within a shrine, your magics have no long term effects here. Anger begone." Daiki then demanded as he pointed at his friend.

Stheno hissed. She still wore her eyeglasses but she didn't seem to recognize Daiki. Her hair had turned into serpents, biting and writhing. She was so wrapped up in her anger. She didn't even seem to realize he was talking to her. She drew back when he made a fist at her but instead of cowering, she had just been gathering strength and pounced on him!

Daiki gritted his teeth and planted his feet, readying for the blow. He felt the release of energy as his fist hit something and Stheno's body jerking. Her claws were digging into his shoulders but they slowly receded, back into hands.

"... Daiki?" Irene was smiling a bit sheepishly. "Heh heh, I did it again." She looked around. "And you stopped me before I brought the whole shrine down. Not bad." She felt a bit embarassed. She didn't like revealing herself to strangers. It made her feel vulnerable and open. Uncomfortable.

As Stheno's claws dug into his flesh, Daiki was sure he was done for. However, as soon as Irene spoke he sighed with relief.

Daiki then blinked. She was still touching his shoulder and looking rather sheepish. This was not a sight he was used to seeing. To make matters more awkward for the two, since Irene had pounced him she was still had him more or less pinned underneath her body.

"Yeah, you did...Seriously, I think you target your anger at the wrong name...But whatever. Just don't do it again. I went easy on you." He said.

He then blinked, he probably said the wrong things again...

"Errr...Well, I was only able to control you via the help of the good karma energies given off by the shrine gods...Since they are lions, instead of fox guardians, it was kind of a gamble...Well, it's good to see you are looking as fine and healthy as normal...So, let's go find the old man and dipstick. I think we spent enough time here, anyways. Anglova is still out there and shit..."

Manami was seriously weirded out by that terrible ear piercing scream. Though curiosity made her want to "investigate", self preservation had won out. After all, she so didn't want Daiki to get mad at her about always getting in trouble. Last thing she wanted to be was the dumb manga heroine that always got rescued!

After making an entire pizza vanish, Manami got to her feet and decided it was safe enough to go exploring the Osaka Temple. She hadn't been to many. She hadn't really been to ANY and it was sort of neat! With all the sort of monsters that ran around, she wondered how places like this even kept standing.

Finding herself in an interesting room, she blinked at a long rope. It had to be one of those bell shrines! She glanced around a minute before finally giving it a good tug.

The whole thing came crashing to the floor with a loud CLOOOONG!

Manami fussed to put it back up where it belonged!

Somewhere in Tokyo...
"You have failed me, yet again Anglova." A soft voice said.

"Mistress... He had that bloody gorgon with him. I cannot defeat a being that was created by Zeus, himself. I may be an immortal living zoo but I'd have to devour a dragon to even compare with her in strength."

"It's always about devouring with you. Such a shame, really. You'd think the Organization would realize by now that if they would only surrender Daiki over to me, there would be no need for all this political turmoil and war with the yoaki."

Anglova's eyes narrowed, "Mistress...Why are so fascinated with a fool like Daiki?"

"Heheh. That's none of your business old man. I have my reasons for doing as I please. As a goddess, I am expected to avert demons from the home or city over which I stand guard. So naturally, I've become known as a goddess who can also refuse to avert the demons, or even drive them on against unfortunate individuals."

"Child, that doesn't answer my question..."

"Well sir, you are in fact a big living piece of pure chaos, are you not?"

Anglova sighed and nodded.

"Good. Then you should understand my goals. Do you have any idea what it is like to be denied a place within the pantheon of remembered deities? I'm merely remembered as the Protector of the Threshold. I no longer have a name. You have no idea what that's like. The more souls I add to my collection, the greater my odds of being remembered are. Daiki and his allies are the only beings that stand in my way. If I remove the Organization's poster child, then I'll gain the respect I so deserve! Now does that makes sense you dolt?"

Irene opened her mouth to say something back at him, only to close it. This was probably a good time to just let things go. She cleared her throat. "Yes, well ... I didn't want to have to rebuild this shrine anyways." She stood and straightened her skirt out, glanced down and turned her foot one way and another. Then she winced, pulled out a tissue and began rubbing the dirty smudge on her boot. "And I'm all out of polish!"

CCCLLOONNGGG!!

Irene stood up straight and looked in the direction the sound had come from. "Looks like we won't have to do much searching for Manami," she said, walking toward it. They found her still trying to get that bell back into place but there was no sign of Genno.

The bell room Irene and Daiki entered was nothing overly fancy. Before Manami managed to somehow futz with the bell system, it hung over a well that was several feet deep. A metal grate prevented anyone from actually falling into the frigid water below but it did make a nice clong ring when the bells smacked into it.

"Figures the old man would bail on us, while I had to deal with a grumpy Irene..." Daiki thought to himself.

Manami was now a beat cherry red when her two acquaintances entered the room. Daiki then blinked as he saw Manami struggling to keep the bell system from falling down. He would never openly admit, he felt the need to be "manly" and help her out. Okay, so maybe he would have to someone other than Irene.

Daiki then walked over towards her and sighed.

"Okay, I ain't going to ask you how managed to take down an entire bell but let me help you with it."

He then reached for the bell system to help displace the weight.

Irene was about to say something about Daiki always running to help a damsel in distress but decided not to. She could always tease him about this later. She stood back and watched as he reached for the bell, stifling a yawn. It had been a pretty long day and she could use the sleep--

Manami was stepping back to give Daiki some room when the metal grate suddenly gave way! "AAaaaiiiiiiiieeeeeeeeeeeee!!!" she screamed as she fell, arms flailing to reach out for anything to grab onto! The well was very deep and the shock of cold water was so great her body became instantly numb!

Irene ran over to join Daiki at the well's opening and they both looked down. Then they looked back up at each other ... then looked back down. "You have got to be kidding me," she muttered. "Well, I rescued her last time."

"No, *I* rescued her last time," Daiki replied. "From you," he quickly added.

Irene glared. "I'll play kitsune-ken with you. Loser has to save Manami." She quickly held up a finger. "Deal?"

"Fair enough." Daiki smirked. "Hope you enjoy the cold water."

"... We'll see."

"Scholar, hunter, fox!" they both called out!

SPLAAAAASSSH!

Manami couldn't even let out a squeal when she hit frosty cold water! It was so dark under the water. even with her eyes open, she couldn't tell which way was which. When she finally bobbed back up to the surface, she was sure her limbs were going to fall off.

The place looked creeeeeepy. Some sort of underground sewer system. But it was so old, it could have been around forever! For some reason, all Manami could imagine was Sadako from The Ring. That was more than enough incentive to ignore how cold the water was to splash her way over to the wall!

Pulling herself up on to a ledge, she rung water out of her clothes. There was no sense in standing around waiting for a rescue. They were probably up there arguing about who was responsible for her! Well, Manami Shinobu was responsible for herself!

...now how did she get out of this creepy place?

Picking a direction, Manami guided herself a long the wall, looking for some stairs or a door or something!

Daiki and Irene then made several hand gestures similar to rock, paper, scissors. In this game, scholar defeats hunter, the hunter defeats the fox, and the fox defeats the scholar. It was an ancient game that came from Japan but to Irene and Daiki it was the easiest way to solve disputes.

"Scholar!" Both of them shouted at the same time, "Dammit!"

They did the hand gestures again and this time around they both scored a fox.

"Dammit!" They both muttered.

Finally,they tried one more time and they both chose Hunter.

"Dammit!"

However, when it came to actuality it rarely if ever worked.

"Fine...I'll climb down the well first," Daiki said, "But you're coming with me!"

As Manami walked along the wall, she heard some noise up ahead. Curiousity overcame all else, as did the underlying hope of it leading out, and she decided to investigate. She noticed a light up ahead, coming from the end of the tunnel and a door that was slightly ajar. The noise became recognizable as talking. There were people and lots of them!

"But it's cold down there! And the water will wreak havoc on my dress! I mean, look at it!" Irene turned around and struck a pose. "Do you see how beautiful this dress is on me? I can't have it ruined!"

"Fine. But if something happens to me, they'll stick you with some pencil-pushing accountant who's going to bore you to whatever hell you Greeks thought up," Daiki replied as he started climbing down.

Irene blinked once, twice. "I hate it when you're right!" she growled, stomping a foot down. He knew how much she abhorred boredom! And they'd probably stick her with some sixty-year-old overweight accountant, too! She snapped her fingers and her dress turned into a black bodysuit complete with boots (no heels). Her hair was up in a knot at the back of her head just in case and she still wore her eyeglasses.

"Let's get this over with ..." she muttered before she followed.

Tiptoeing closer, Manami was surprised to hear voices, many voices! This was a sewer wasn't it? There couldn't be anything down here besides rats!

...It then occurred to Manami that it could be rats. Like the Ninja Turtles! There was already monsters lurking all over the place, it wasn't so impossible anymore. For a moment she hesitated. Running in to talking rats, or rat monsters wasn't going to make her day any better.

But she sure hated being cold and wet. And escapes weren't found by scaredy-girls.

Taking a deep breath, Manami eased towards the slightly ajar door. Bracing on hand on it, she silently peeked through the open crack to see what was inside. She could always turn back and run if it's bad!

Daiki rolled his eyes. He didn't care much about Irene's lolita fashions in the first place. He was now once again wearing the tribal mask completely over his face. The colors were said to be used by the great Japanese demon hunters of the past. It also served as means to help him manifest his abilities through a single medium.

He continued to march forward figuring this place had to be connected to some larger tunnel. "Figures we don't have a coward on hand..." He muttered to himself.

Daiki then glanced back at Irene,whom was looking rather unhappy about the current affair.He the rubbed his temples. Daiki had no idea why he was going to say what he was about to say but he did it anyways, "Would you prefer that I carry you until we find something close to solid ground?"

The voices sounded like they were speaking in English but no matter how hard she tried, Manami couldn't make heads or tails of the words. There were a bunch of robed people around and that was always bad. But before she could do much of anything, one of them turned toward her and the hood fell away partly to reveal ... the cutest but biggest brown bunny she'd ever seen! No wonder these people looked so small!

Irene blinked! Had he said what she thought he said? The look he was giving her certainly said, "Yes." She didn't know how to react. Should she call him 'crazy' and refuse or consent and get a free ride? "Piggy-back?" she asked, still a bit suspicious. Daiki could easily end up shrinking her and sticking her in his pocket as a type of ride.

"Do you want the ride or not?"

"I'd be a fool to refuse!" Irene said with a grin and was soon getting a piggy-back ride down the tunnel.