3. One post per week
Writing Levels
  1. Intermediate
  2. Adept
  3. Advanced
Preferred Character Gender
  1. No Preferences
Genres
Urban Fantasy, High Fantasy, Epic Quest, Sci-Fi, Time Travel and World Hopping, Steampunk, Action/Adventure, Modern Drama, Mystery, Slice of Life, Romance, and many more.
I am FASCINATED with death rituals!

Some cultures bury their dead in the ground. Some people prefer to burn their loved ones, and some even hang onto the ashes in ceremonial urns. Ancient Romans buried their dead with coins, so they could afford passage to the afterlife. The ancient Egyptians buried their Pharaohs with everything from jewellery to food to servants to guarantee a good time in the next life. The Vikings bent the swords of their fallen enemies, and buried friends with a hoard of weapons for their battles in Valhalla. There are tribes in south america who cut their hair short after a village member dies, so that the spirit does not drag them by their hair into death

I find these rituals and the reasoning behind them utterly fascinating; what are your favourite burial traditions?

This is not a place to debate afterlife beliefs, just to discuss beliefs and traditions in regards to burial that are interesting.

When I die, I just want to be put in a garbage bag and set out on the curb for recycling.

Reactions: Minibit
When I die, I just want to be put in a garbage bag and set out on the curb for recycling.
My mom wants to be buried in a cardboard coffin - one of the ones that's biodegradable; she says if she's going to decompose anyway she may as well have a box that'll feed the flowers to do it in :P

I want to be buried with an assortment of random objects and in an unusual pose, so as to confuse future archaeologists.

• Love
Reactions: Fijoli
When I die I want to be cremated. No idea where I'd really want my ashes to be spread, though. Maybe at the state park my family used to go camping at every year when I was younger.

Reactions: Fijoli
In reality, I light three candles for my deceased relative on my fathers side and light an incense, then i'll mediate the "Om" Mantra, or listen to one I really like as if I'm sharing the new Mantras with my dead family members. So it's like spending a few hours with them once the three candles have died out the tradition is over and I can have the rest of the day to do anything I like.

Boyens are the actual funerals where the family serves the Monks food after a hour and a half of Chanting and prayer in the home and temple THE DAY of the death. Then there is a forty-nine day period where nothing of the deceased person's belongings can leave their home, these forty-nine days mark the journey from the living to the place of rebirth, and on the 49th day there is more chanting mantras in the home and temple to celebrate the reincarnation of the deceased family member.

As of now I light three candles for
Namsa Abuschinow (Grandmother)
Abram Abuschinow (Grandfather)
Basan Abuschinow (Uncle)

I am clearly not Oriental by the way I look or my skin, But my step-father and his family treated me like I was their own and loved me as much as i loved them, being raised by them I do this every year as a way to spend time with them and respect their memory. They were there for me before I could even form memories.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In my hopes and dreams I really wish that when I die my friends and family will build me a raft, set me afloat down some bay, And strike my BArge with a flaming arrow.

~ Frowns at how many laws that breaks ~

Oh well. Its good to dream

#VikingStatus

:D

I honestly would want it where my body is on a bed of sticks and rocks like a stand or something, have my body there then light the sticks on fire and have my love ones watch me burn and become ashes and pass on into the wind and onward to another life. I would want my family their to watch me move on though if this were to happen i would want it to be tooken place in a open medow deep in a forest or a cliff where you can see the ocean, though specifcally i want it done just as the sun set. I dont know it may seem odd but i think thats the best and only way i would want to die so long as im cremated and my family was with me.

As an Odinist, our preferred method of disposing earthly remains would be through a funeral pyre so that no demons or trickster spirits could inhabit the freed vessel. However, this is illegal in practice, so instead we perform the Laying to Rest with burial and a celebration of life lived and life lost over a period of one week, where we honor all our dead, especially the recently fallen, with song and drink.

I do not recall which region practiced this, but I have heard that a doll can serve as a place to house the soul of one who has passed on. However, whether or not it's voluntary, I'm not entirely sure.

Of course, there's other folklore that circle around dolls and hauntings, but that's another topic altogether.

Status
Not open for further replies.