Grandma might be depressed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

SacredWarrior

Original poster
For those of you who don't know, my grandmother suffered a stroke earlier this month. She's been home for a few weeks now and she's trying to walk due to her independent spirit but to no avail. She fell twice actually. She's not getting therapy yet because she doesn't have health insurance (I think) and the doctors haven't said anything about it yet.

I think Grandma may be suffering from depression because there have been times where I've seen her crying (one example is when she fell) and even though she tells me she's not depressed, I can't help but worry.

Since I read that depression is very common after a stroke, it's only caused me to worry even more :(

I believe there are medications that treat depression? But it's not always feasible to use it depending on a person's condition...

I wish you and your grandmother the best though, and if you can you should try to do what you can to cheer her up, to give her things to smile about and a reason to believe things will be better soon!

• Thank You
Reactions: SacredWarrior
I believe there are medications that treat depression? But it's not always feasible to use it depending on a person's condition...

I wish you and your grandmother the best though, and if you can you should try to do what you can to cheer her up, to give her things to smile about and a reason to believe things will be better soon!
I try to reassure her and cheer her up (and so does the rest of our dwindling family) but I don't think it's working :( I hate seeing her like this and not being able to do anything about it

Though I don't have experience in people who have suffered stroke, my parents have had their health issues of various types. And though it's different from your grandmothers issue, they also feel sad and depressed at times.

I spend time on weekends taking them out, helping them with their grocery and other needed shopping trips, and I try to be happy and positive as much as possible to them and the others we interact with, and I think it helps them feel better! I know you and your family have probably tried similar things, but keep trying! Eventually I hope you bring a lot of smiles to your grandmother :)

• Thank You
Reactions: SacredWarrior
Status
Not open for further replies.