Got Game?

Ty grabbed his pop-tart again and sat down next to her to eat it.

"It was nothing. I know what it's like to have a neck issue. They aren't fun," he said, then laughed. "Of course, mine are usually because I got hit by a soccer ball just right."

"Anyway, my mom taught me that, that pressure in just the right places can ease the muscles in the neck and can help relieve a stiff neck."

Eliza nodded. She tried to use her dark brown hair to cover her face from him. She suddenly didn't feel comfortable in the situation and stood up.
"I...uh...I have to go and get my books before the bell rings...sorry."
With that, she briskly walked down to the corridor and quickly walked to her locker. Once she got there, she took a minute to breath. She covered her face with a hand and then ran a hand through her hair.
"Hey, 'Liza, something the matter?" A voice said behind her.
Turning around, she saw Caleb with his wet black hair brushed back. His blue eyes were worried and Eliza gave her a small smile.
"Oh, sorry, Caleb. I'm just a little...flustered."
Caleb laughed.
"Flustered? Since when is Eliza West flustered?"
Eliza smiled and put a lock of hair behind her ear. Having her best friend there when she's completely confused was a good thing for Eliza. Even though he was a football player and his friends don't really know her, he still finds time to talk to her and it's a reassuring feeling.

He looked at her retreating figure, wondering what had just happened. Unable to figure it out, he finished off his pop-tart and checked the time. Still six minutes before the first bell. Why would she need to get her books this early? Shrugging away the thought, he went back into the cafeteria. By now some of the guys ought to have shown up in there.

After talking to Eliza, Caleb said that he had to get something to eat from the cafeteria or else he would die of starvation. Shrugging his bag over his shoulder he gave her one last look with his bright eyes and waved her goodbye. He's known her since they were in the sixth grade and it was still the same. His friends didn't know her all too well and she didn't have friends. It was an unusual relationship they had with each other. But he couldn't help but see that her cheeks had a rose tint to them and that she seemed preoccupied with something.
"Well..at least she's acting like an actual human being." He muttered.
Walking down to the cafeteria, he walked in and saw Tyler, the soccer player that one last week's game. He was a good friend of his.
"Yo Ty, wassup man?"

Ty looked up to see who was addressing him and grinned.

"Caleb? How's it hangin' man?" he said before laughing. "What's new with you? We haven't talked for like... at least a week. Pretty sure it's been more. And probably we can blame your football and my soccer. Sports, they can be hectic."

"Hell yeah." Caleb said smiling. He sat down across Ty and put his backpack on the bench.
"So any news? A new girl, you just won a game you have to have someone in mind. Plus i've heard some girls going crazy over you."
Caleb gave him a smirk, waiting for an answer with anticipation. Ty was always the one out of his group of friends that got dates as easily as breathing. They always were amazed at how easily he could get a girl to say yes to him for a date.

Ty laughed.

"I don't know what you're talking about, man. I mean, I know that there are girls practically lined up for any one of us, but... I'm still holding out, especially after the last one," he said, shuddering. His ex had been a little too... protective of what she saw as hers, him included. He could barely leave his house.

His mind flashed briefly to Eliza.

"Hey, you know Eliza? The photographer?"

Caleb raised an eyebrow.
"Yeah. She's basically my sister. We've known each other since kindergarten. Why?"
Suddenly things have gotten very interesting. Eliza barely knew anyone from his crew, especially soccer players. What could possibly have happened for him to suddenly become interested in her?

"I see..." Ty mumbled. "She seems pretty cool."

What was he thinking, asking about her anyway? It's not like he was interested. He was just curious about her. Because he'd seen her around but never really got a chance to ask her about herself.

Yeah, that's it.

The first bell rang, and Ty stood.

"See ya around, Caleb."

Caleb watched him and raised an eyebrow. Right then Eliza ran into Ty. Caleb had to stifle his laugh as he stood up.
"Eliza watch it."
Eliza looked at him and smiled slightly. Clearing her throat, she walked towards Caleb.
"I have the pictures you wanted." She handed him a light brown folder. He took it and looked inside.
"Thanks." Caleb said.

Running into Eliza, Ty tried to smile at her, but she was instantly at Caleb before he could really get the smile up fully and say something. How was it she had time to smile, but it was like he moved in slow motion? He sighed and shook his head before walking out of the cafeteria to head towards class.

Eliza glanced behind her and saw that Ty walked away.
"What was that about?" Eliza asked him. Caleb shrugged his shoulders and followed her glance.
"I don't know, Eliza. But, something is going on with a good friend of mine. What about you, Eliza? You okay?"
"I'm...uhh....I'm completely fine."

Ty went to class wondering what had possessed him to ask Caleb about Eliza. He barely noticed her as anything other than the school newspaper photographer. He saw her around, sure, but that was all. If he had to guess, Ty figured it changed when he actually spoke to her after the game.

"Well, isn't that just interesting."

Eliza sighed as she walked into class. She didn't even cast a glance at any of her peers and slowly walked over to her own desk. Placing her books on the edge of her desk, she laid her head on the table and sighed again. Lack of sleep wasn't a good thing to have.

Ty barely managed to focus in his classes, his mind was so befuddled. But he managed to take notes that made sense and somewhat learned what was going on in his lessons. It was until lunch that he came out of his stupor.

Eliza flopped her head against the plastic table and sighed heavily. Caleb chuckled.
"Late night?"
Eliza nodded. "You don't even know. Three AP papers, two worksheets, three chapters of reading, and the article."
Caleb nodded and whistled a low whistle.
"You're not working yourself to death, are you?"
"I hope not." Eliza muttered.

Ty bee lined for Caleb until he saw Eliza and froze a second before choosing instead to go sit with a couple of the others from his team. He had hoped to grill the guy some more, but... not with the object of the conversation there.

He managed to keep up with the conversation though, his thoughts only vaguely occupied.

What was he thinking?

Caleb smirked as he patted Eliza's head. Since she was left handed, her head was facing to the left and she didn't see Ty walking into the cafeteria and then walking to his fellow team mates after seeing Eliza. She sat up straight and then put her head in her right hand.
"Here," she muttered after a minute. "Read the article and tell me how it is."
Caleb nodded. She watched as his eyes flitted from right to left and when he set down the rough draft, she waited anxiously fpr his opinion.
"Not bad." He simply said.
"That's it?" Eliza asked, her hands dropping onto the table
"No." Caleb said, chuckling. "It's actually really well done."

Goofing off with his teammates was a nice distraction for Ty. They were all teasing one of the guys who got himself a girlfriend earlier in the week, and who was now blushing like a fool. After a while, conversation moved to soccer, and Ty started participating more fully. Until his eyes moved to the other side of the cafeteria. Caleb and Eliza were still talking to each other.

Eliza smiled.
"You can be so mean sometimes."
Her friend shrugged and handed it back to her.
"Don't worry about it, you're a badass writer, okay?"
"Fine." Eliza looked down at her watch and her eyes widened. "Shit!"
Caleb looked at her. "What?"
"This was due at the end of lunch and I have three minutes left."
"Why did you give it to me?"
"I forgot!" Eliza shouted. Heads turned and then went quickly back to their own conversations. Eliza quickly gathered her things and rushed out of the cafeteria before Caleb can say "goodbye".