Goodbye Everyone, Thanks for the Memories.

D

Dunruffle

Original poster
So...I figured it was finally time to admit that I probably wont be coming back to Iwaku. I joined Iwaku when I was in college, and this forum gave me a sense of community and belonging I had never experienced before. I made many friends, a few enemies, and met many amazing people. I was a chatbox bum for awhile, simply content to interact with a few faceless usernames I had built up a friendship with. I posted my share of cringy stuff, as well as a few RPs I will always look back on fondly. But like everyone, I got older. My new adult responsibilities slowly grew in number, and before I realized it, years had passed since I had lost logged in.

Iwaku was the place that helped me discover my love for writing stories. Being an introverted nerd, having people to collaborate with, and create entire worlds full of characters, gave me a whole new perspective on life. I learned time management skills, how to solve disputes, mediate discussions, and many more skills that would be important later in life.

Sitting here, looking at the words I am typing, part of me wants to delete it all and keep pretending that one day I will come back to this amazing place. Like a bird returning to its old nest. But part of growing up is learning when to say goodbye. To know when to close a chapter of your life and move on to find new adventures. With tears in my eyes, the best I thing I can compare this feeling to is putting a beloved pet to sleep. You could keep them alive a little longer, in the desperate hope that they may recover, but you know deep down it is time for them to go.

Goddamn, I am going to miss this place.

To any of my old friends who might see this, I thank you from the bottom of my heart for being with me through both good times and bad. We might never see each other again, but even if I know you just as a username and profile picture, I will always consider you a friend. It hurts to say goodbye, but know that I wish you all the best of luck in your future endeavors.

To the next generation of writers getting their start here, I offer some advice. Learn new things, make some friends, take risks, get hurt. I promise that one day you will wish you could experience it all one more time.

To the admins, mods, and volunteers who keep this site running. I want to let you know that your hard work will always be appreciated. Keeping a place like this working is something I could never imagine doing, but you all manage to do it with class and grace that I one day hope to achieve.

To this day I am still writing. I have moved on from RPs, and have stepped into the world of original stories and fanfiction. Part of me wants to leave a way for you all to find me on other sites, but I think ending this journey where it all started is the right thing to do.

So, I think I have dragged this on long enough. I will not delete my account, but that is simply so that I might save some of my old RPs and messages. I am moving on, and letting the next generation of writers take my place.

It was quite a ride, and this site will always have a special place in my heart.

Goodbye everyone. Don't be sad that the journey is over, be happy that you were able to experience it for yourself

Sincerely,

Dunruffle.

:)

;~; I didn't know you, but this got me all teary-eyed. It happens, as life goes on we start to drift away from the things we once held dear, and new hobbies and desires emerge. It'll probably happen to most of us, but that's okay. IT's natural! I wish you the best of luck, Dunruffle! God speed, and thank you for being a part of Iwaku!