Good reasons to not delete my profile?

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Spoilers

Original poster
I'm on the fence, I feel like I've been doxxed, and so I have to leave, but this is my favorite RP site. I mean I like the community so I also want to stay.

What are some good reasons for staying?

Why do you want to leave in the first place?

(Apologies if you mentioned somewhere. I haven't been able to peruse to forum much in the last one week.)

(Apologies if you mentioned somewhere. I haven't been able to peruse to forum much in the last one week.)
I really, really hate sharing personal details of my life. So another user, who was just trying to help, and whom I don't want to see get in trouble, kind of said who a relative user of mine is, and now it just feels weird. If I wanted people to know he was my cousin I'd have said "Hey guys this is my cousin!" when he first signed up. We barely even talk to each other.

To me it's like saying; "You live at 1234, Made Up, Avenue right?" Like...I don't want people knowing where I live, and I don't want them knowing who my family is. Things I say, or do should not reflect on the people I care about, so I keep my relations secret, so if I ever do or say something really crazy, they won't be punished for it.

Reactions: Greenie

In short hand, I feel like my privacy has been invaded.

Reactions: Greenie
What are some good reasons for staying?
I can understand the need for privacy. However, since you asked for good reasons to stay...

I've been on many forums, not all role-playing ones, but other topics, genres etc. Nowhere I've found a community so welcoming and friendly and accepting. I suppose it's not much coming from someone with a red name, but this was my broken record speech from even before I joined the team.

Edit because I clicked post by accident.

Anyway, I haven't spent so much time on a single forum than anywhere else. By this time at other places, well, I wouldn't even be there, honestly.

The forum, in my opinion, has everything to make it a home away from home. Roleplays, fun topics to just chat about, nice people to meet.

Ultimately it's up to you :) but I would say think about it, as you are.

I can understand the need for privacy. However, since you asked for good reasons to stay...

I've been on many forums, not all role-playing ones, but other topics, genres etc. Nowhere I've found a community so welcoming and friendly and accepting. I suppose it's not much coming from someone with a red name, but this was my broken record speech from even before I joined the team.

Edit because I clicked post by accident.

Anyway, I haven't spent so much time on a single forum than anywhere else. By this time at other places, well, I wouldn't even be there, honestly.

The forum, in my opinion, has everything to make it a home away from home. Roleplays, fun topics to just chat about, nice people to meet.

Ultimately it's up to you :) but I would say think about it, as you are.
I don't understand how my personal information was even found.

Well if a random user can find out who I'm related to, they probably have my address, place of work, and phone number too...I can't take any chances. The one RP site I actually like, and I have to leave.

I recommend reporting whoever shared your personal info (including AirQuest, if necessary), and letting the Security team do their thing, by deleting any posts that contained any mentions of your personal info...

I'm sorry that you feel unsafe here, but it's the Security team's job to make the site as safe as possible. And whenever you feel unsafe, reporting the people responsible is the best course of action.

It's certainly better than deleting your profile, which means letting the other side win, and forces you to leave the community... which sounds like a lose-lose deal to me. :<

Perhaps the other user mentioned that the two of you were related and they don't actually know that much detail on your life? If you really feel that they found your personal information through means other than the voluntary sharing of information, however, that's definitely a reason to report. Report doesn't ensure automatic ban or anything and I understand your desire to protect your friend, but if they found your information without your consent, that definitely means they have other ways of tracking people down, and that kind of thing is dangerous. I know for sure I'd be extremely scared if anyone found any piece of information on me I know I hadn't shared.

It sounds like you really love it here and in that case I would really really encourage you to stay, because we care a lot about the safety of our members and for the most part do our best to make sure your information, and others', stays secure. I wouldn't want one member finding out too much to take you away from a place that you love.

Apparently AirQuest when he joined up, due to the whole shared IP address had to state who he shared a household computer with, and at the time I was staying with him, and that info is still on his profile.

Hey folks ^^' I already apologized to you @Spoilers, but I wanted to say in public that I am sincerely sorry for making you feel unsafe. I only know that you two are cousins because of the profile thing, and that's it. I've already explained why I know that, which I won't state here because that may be violating privacy, but do know that I will never hunt down your personal information unless you want me to and are okay with it. Again, I'm really sorry for making you feel unsafe and for stating that information in public in the first place ^^'

Status
Not open for further replies.