Timur

Edgebabby
Original poster
FOLKLORE MEMBER
Writing Levels
  1. Intermediate
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Male
Do any of you ever feel as though you cannot replicate the ecstatic feeling brought upon your oldest roleplays/writing endeavors? For the longest time I've been wondering whether it is I who's been looking at the past through rose-tinted glasses, or if this is a more prominent phenomenon among my fellow roleplaying breathren.

I definitely experience lulls in my enthusiasm. Sometimes it just doesn't feel as fun anymore, but for me, it only lasts a few months at most before I'm back to enjoying what I write :O

I dunno, maybe trying something new would help? Sometimes I just need to start with a clean slate to enjoy what I'm doing again, which means dropping the stuff that I'm not enjoying, even if I wanted to enjoy it.

I think that I am always ecstatic whenever I plot roleplays. But, I agree with the sentiment when it comes to a similar roleplays. For example, I don't think any other demigod roleplay can invoke the same excitement as when I participated in one particular Percy Jackson roleplay that caught me hook, line and sinker. The worldbuilding, the quests they made, nothing could replicate that feeling. It was such a large scale roleplay with so many different quests and trainings happening, anyone can make a mark and find their place.

I am always ecstatic when someone messages me and wants to plot and potentially write with me. Even more excited whenever our story gets off the ground and actually develops. I get a little overjoyed when I see someone reply too.

I definitely get the lull of excitement fading away! Just that I have that with everything. What helps me regain my excitement is to talk about it or to change things up. Throw in a plot twist, throw in something new, talk about taking a different angle, throw a new challenge, etc...

I think I feel it to some extent. I miss the excitement I'd get for new RPs but now I just hope that it lasts longer than a week or actually gets to the RP now.

I do possibly feel similar to you, friend. (If I'm understanding the topic here correctly, heh.) When I reflect on the roleplaying I did in the past, I refer to those memories as my "good old days." Because in those days, I had more energy, more time, more fire in me... After a bunch of stuff happened in real life, the flame of my creative passions kinda died. I also find myself very disconnected with the roleplay community these days because I'm kinda old news and a lot has changed and I'm more socially anxious than I used to was~ Oops.
I can make a few sparks of magic happen now and then, but it's hard! The roleplays I'm writing for currently take so long to make even 1 reply for. But when I do get into those creative modes, I sometimes feel myself accessing those old feelings, too. In rare instances of like "Ah yeah, I remember this feeling, this felt so good back then, feels good now too while it's still here."

I definitely get the lull of excitement fading away! Just that I have that with everything. What helps me regain my excitement is to talk about it or to change things up. Throw in a plot twist, throw in something new, talk about taking a different angle, throw a new challenge, etc...
The excitement is certainly somewhere in there, buried beneath heaps of other emotions/worries. I've noticed that I enjoy roleplaying less now that I'm more critical of my own writing. There's something special and carefree in the way one can approach roleplaying when their mind isn't preoccupied with trying to make every response as good as possible.

That, and age. Age definitely plays a part in it. Teens and kids tend to be more excitable and people are likely to develop a better grip on their emotions as they age.