Good, Neutral, or Evil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
V

Viceroy

Original poster
In every roleplay our characters usually have to choose an alignment, and yes, I know there's far more alignments than just those three. I'm limiting it to those so it wont be as confusing for some.
So, what kind of character do you play most?

Evil characters are always super fun characters to play as. But really, I love playing as any of the three

(love the profile picture, by the way.)

Good- The one who struggles, horrible past, feels as though they must do it alone...unwilling to die until their job is done.

Neutral- Toys and plays with both sides of conflicts. Never really picks a side, nor do they want to. When force to make a decision, it's for them and they simply don't wish to see the bigger picture, they just try to ignore it all which is why they don't pick a side.

Evil-corrupt, wrong, horrible to many and all people. Such cruelty is inhuman. Always taking charge, wanting to remain in control. Can they be saved? Can they go back to that light that once filled their hearts? Possibly, but sometimes they are simply to lost.

I never truly stick to one kind of character type, but when I pick a side this is how I have them at the core for the most part.

It's important to expand your horizons by playing all three, depending on what the role-play itself asks for. Sometimes, by playing an evil aligned character you actually learn more about how to better play a good aligned character.

And remember- characters can be dynamic.

Well I really play all three. Usually all at the same time. :D That's what happens when you're a GM.

I enjoy it the most when I play good or neutral. Evil's fun sometimes, but for me it gets really boring after a while.

It's been many years since I've played a character who could be easily put into a category like that.

When I play a villain or troublemaker, I make sure they have a good reason for their actions; I hate when characters are evil for no better reason then that the story needs a villain. My antagonists may be mean, but they usually believe their ends justify their means, or that it's ultimately for the best.

Likewise, I hate playing shining angels of righteousness for heroes. I think it's interesting when heroes and villains can relate to each other to a certain degree, and we all know no character is perfect. Heroes especially are under a lot of pressure, the NPCs and random citizens are always looking to them to uphold the good. A hero may have violence control issues, trust issues, or take out their stress on others. It's generally way easier to serve yourself than others, I like to write characters with darker elements which reflect the strain of this constant expectation.

So I guess, while the character may be a 'good guy' or 'bad guy' so far as the story's concerned, they usually end up with neutral alignments.

• Love
Reactions: 3 people
Honestly, only a few of my character fit into the traditional tri-classification system. XD For those that it works on, though, I think I have a good number of good and neutral, along with a handful of evils.

I would say my characters are balanced, between good and evil. There are rare instances where some fall into neutral. I don't really like to have one without the other especially in plot-driven stories. I will say, it is fun to play villains at times, when they do the oh-so-not-normal things.

Very neutral, and self serving...

I agree with Minibit, limiting yourself to such easily defined roles as good,neutral, or evil is slightly boring or limits character development. I actually avoid roleplays that try to shoehorn characters into these stereotypical archetypes. Mostly because its way too unoriginal to be the shining knight or the evil dark lord or even the self serving type. If I want that I'll watch something made by Disney. I believe a good character is first and foremost 'human' as it were, yes even nonhuman characters. There has to be a degree of realism in even your most fantasy driven character. And reality is not black and white nor even grey. It is a collage of those colours.

Reactions: Lady Sabine
...I think I have one character who could definitively be considered evil. Maybe. The rest kinda move through all three. They may be generally good through most of their life, or at least believe that what they're doing is right, but they have their moments where they can be incredibly selfish and self-serving, sometimes downright cruel. Or reversely, they may be characters that look out only for themselves, hardened by circumstances in their life, but have their weak-spots for saving children in distress, or maybe find themselves coming to care about those thrown into the adventure with them.

Characters should be fluid and malleable, changing in believable ways with the events that happen around and to them.

Most of my characters are in some kind of moral grey area because human beings are weird talking apes and very little of what we do can fall into true good or evil.

I like playing Goodie Goodies. O_O

Reactions: 2 people
Hmmmm Mine generally tend to be Good aligned. On rare occasion I've played evil. I like playing extremes a lot of times.

When I'm good, I'm good. When I'm bad, I'm better.

...reality is not black and white nor even grey. It is a collage of those colours.

Characters should be fluid and malleable, changing in believable ways with the events that happen around and to them.

Most of my characters are in some kind of moral grey area because human beings are weird talking apes and very little of what we do can fall into true good or evil.

Everyone has really good points. I think that the problem isn't so much having characters on any point in the spectrum, but creating a character specifically to fit a stereotype. Making characters to be real people, to be the products of their situation and interactions and part of the plot, is what really matters. If you set out to make an unabashedly evil character who wants to destroy the world, it's hard to make things seem believable. But if you have a character who, through whatever twists of fate, has come to believe that the world is a terrible place and better off destroyed, it's much easier to pull off. Letting your characters be people, be mosaics of different shades of grey, who act in logical and meaningful ways, is the key to making a story proceed naturally. ^^ They should do things that make subjective sense and just happen to be objectively good or evil- not set out to do a rescue the innocent or sow destruction.

All kinds really, depending on what the roleplay calls for.

Status
Not open for further replies.