God Is On His Knees (IC/Still Accepting)

• Thread starter GoodEveningClarice
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Arren Graesson

Arren turned to face Duke Tristan as he called for his attention. He dipped his head in a slight bow. "Sir, I fare well, thank you. It is a pleasure to see you, your Lordship." Arren said, smiling to the Duke. He was silent as Robert came and stood by them, speaking to Lord Tristan. In the back of his mind, he was secretly trying to decipher where Princess Lilith had run off too. He tried to think of every place her guards had found her hiding over the past few years.

Before he could make effort to leave, she re-appeared at his side, addressing the three off them. He saw that she had changed her outift - her hair draped her shoulders, she now wore a black silk dress, and she also wore shoes (her preference to bare feet was a secret to none). From those details, he'd concluded that she probably ventured somewhere outside, and ruined her expensive dress. He could see a small smear of mud peeking above her shoe on her heel.

He did not react when she climbed Duke Tristan's back - his lordship didn't seem to care much. When Lilith departed, Arren returned his attention to the Duke. "Your Lordship, how do you fare, this night?"

Reactions: VengefulPeanut
Tristan couldn't help but frown a bit when Arren responded to him. "Sir, I fare well, thank you. It is a pleasure to see you, your Lordship." His response was so formal it was almost off putting.
“Arren you needn’t speak to me like I’m some Lord from the land of Prissy-dom, You have known me long enough to have earned first name basis, I would believe, wouldn't you?” He replied with a grin as he wrapped his arms around him. "It is a pleasure to see you too friend." He said softly before letting go and turning when he felt someone near them turning to see Robert he smiled and bite his lip. Mostly to stop himself from saying something stupid...

"Duke Tristan, I hope you are enjoying the festivities," He heard Robert say as he bowed his head. Tristan couldn’t help but smile at him. He had always fancied himself a lover of the Blondes.. “ Just Tristan, Robert, unless you feel you must…..I am enjoying them thus far, how are you tonight dear Robert, that is you isn’t it?...you look so….more ...than last time I arrived.. Have you grown taller?” He asked a soft tease in his voice as he purposely played the pronoun game.
Looking up he smiled softly to Rikhen as he approached and spoke to them. "Hello brothers, And hello to you Duke Tristan, it is a pleasure to see you here."
“Greetings Rikhen, how are you tonight..I would assume you are well…considering?” He asked before looking over as he saw someone move towards them.

"Hello Tristan, Robert, Rikhen, and Arren~." He heard Lilith speak as she joined them..He looked from Robert to her and smiled. “Hello Lilith dear, how are you tonight, a change of clothing?” He asked a puzzling tone in his voice as he pondered her smirk… “What is on your…ah I see..” He spoke as she placed her hands on his shoulder before fixing herself to his back with her legs around his waist…
"Ha! I'm taller than all of you" He heard her say as he turned his head to see her. She appeared as though she had won the summer race..”That’ you are …” He said as he applauded a smile on his face. Lilith most certainly knew how to make him laugh. Not that it was heard to make the young Duke laugh, but her wild antics reminded him of him and his sister. “Wonder what she’s doing…” He thought to himself as Lilith ran off to go on some sort of Quest..Probably to entertain herself...Most of these events were overly dull…

"Your Lordship, how do you fare, this night?" Arren’s words brought him out of his thoughts. “Oh I am fine...hopeful that Robert might show me his sword.” “In a spar sometime..I do miss practicing with you all.” He said hopefully to cover the first comment he had made. In his mind he was slowly roasting himself...

-Robert Bowman-

"Just Tristan, Robert, unless you feel you must…..I am enjoying them thus far, how are you tonight dear Robert, that is you isn’t it?...you look so….more ...than last time I arrived.. Have you grown taller?"

Robert smiled warmly, slipping into more of a relaxed stance as he scanned the room. His eyes fixed back to Tristan, his mind remembering the king instructing them to relax, "I can't say I've noticed it myself. Although, beating Arren so frequently in practice must be doing wonders for my physique." A cheeky grin appeared across his lips as a result of his comment but before Arren could offer retort they were joined by Rikhen, to whose greeting Robert bowed his head respectfully. Not longer after Rikhen's arrival, Princess Lillith too made a show of her face. She waved to Robert who folded his arms politely at his belly and lower back before bowing at the waist.

"Hello Tristan, Robert, Rikhen, and Arren~."

"Good evening, M'Lady," Robert replied in a polite and softened voice. She was considerably smaller than the four of them so he had to look down slightly to make eye contact with her, a fact that seemed to warrant a frown on her brow. As if from nowhere, however, the frown softened into a devilish smirk not too different to the one Robert had wore a moment ago. She moved over to Tristan before volleying herself onto his back, declaring herself to be taller in some sort of childish, blissful gesture. Thankfully, Tristan's personality afforded only a warm smile and a warm response in return. Many nobles would have shrieked at having contact being made with them. The event didn't last for long as Lillith dismounted and continued merrily along her way, endlessly searching for entertainment. All of the men appeared to watch her leave, all with a mixed look of innocent concern and curiosity on their faces.

Breaking the silence, Rikhen politely inquired into the well being of Tristan, affording a response Robert was not quite expecting. "Oh I am fine...hopeful that Robert might show me his sword." Robert's face contorted into a scrunched up maze of worry. He knew what Tristan's tendencies were and he couldn't sigh loud enough with relief when the continued response came along, "In a spar sometime..I do miss practicing with you all." The swiftness of the follow up eased Robert's concern who waved it off as a slip of the tongue and a bad choice of words.

"Of course, Tristan. We'd be honoured to have you train with us once more. You should join us in the morning, our practice grounds are just off from the outer bailey," Robert responded, delivering an encouraging smile with his explanation. He thought it would be nice having someone so experienced to train against. The word was that he was a fine swordsman with a knack for the more nimble combat arts, something the Knights rarely got to train against. A grand opportunity, indeed.

tumblr_m8sa3rEcf41rupz5v.gif

(OOC: Once more a perfect gif to sum up Robert's reaction to Tristan's sword comment)

Last edited:
"Because they are men Little Flower," Serah answered the child. "And all men have a little boy inside of them, especially when they are together in large numbers." Her smile faltered at the child's next question. Her prince? What exactly had her father told her?
But before she could answer the man himself was there. She look at him curiously, wondering what exactly he was telling people about her relationship with her husband. Of course it was probably a good thing for people to think she had been in love with him.

Had she ever really been in love with him? She supposed at one time she liked him well enough. Before he had struck her that first, and only, time he had been quite civil with her. He hadn't kissed her that much or even held her hand, but he had never raised his voice to her or spoken to her harshly or in a demeaning way. Their marriage had been very... lukewarm. And that had been... boring.

Serah didn't indulge in delusions. She knew what was real and what was fantasy. To have a marriage filled with hot passion was a fantasy, something only found in books. Love was an illuison that people believed in to keep themselves content. There had been a time, when she was a child, that she had imagined falling in love and marrying a man who was strong and harsh with his enemies, but with her was gentle and sweet, who could use the same arm to hack a man to pieces on the battlefield before cradling her in warmth and safety at night.

But life had taught her that such things were naught but dreams and fluff, filling the head of young girls to give them hope that was ultimately proved false.
Even her wedding night had been a disappointment. After years of reading tales of the passion and great pleasure and love that was involved in mating with a man she had been bitterly disappointed to have what was supposed to have been a magical night consist of his pushing up her skirt, using her quickly and rolling away afterewards. And her childhood dreams were killed by pain and heartache. By the morning her heart had already begun to petrify against the empty fantasy of love.

Serah realized John had spoken to her and smiled. It was a false smile to anyone who truly knew her well, a smile of grace and politeness. "Thank you sir. I appreciate the compliment."
She had heard such things before, about her beauty, but such things were usually said by men who wanted to sweet talk their way into her bed, now the bed of a wealthy widow. Not that she thought such things about John, he was honorable to her knowledge, but it taught her to not trust such compliments as genuine.

Then she noticed some commotion. The arrival of another lord. She sighed inwardly, hiding her wince. Lord Rolfe Endoril was not someone she relished seeing. He was forever looking down on others, as though everyone around him was beneath him and he should not be forced to converse with such refuse. It made him highly unpopular with many.
But her duty as lady of the keep called and she had been raised and taught that manners were everything. So she stood and made her way to the small group.
"Lord Endoril," she said, curtseying gracefully. "I am glad you have made the journey safely. I appreciate your presence here, as I am sure others do as well."

Rolfe Endoril
Rolfe watched the great beast called Bjarke clean himself with the tablecloth. How disrespectful of him. If it was up to Rolfe, the 'Grey Wolf' would have been beheaded long ago. He and his band of wildlings were a disgrace for the North. Lucky for the brute, Duke Elric believed they could be of some use. Rolfe surely hoped that the duke was correct of his own sake, but a part of him secretly begged to say 'I told you so.' His cold eyes followed Bjarke as the man came to a stop at his side. The stench was unbearable, but Rolfe maintained eye-contact, his glare masterfully hidden beneath a playful smirk. He had learned long ago to not let his emotions and thoughts betray his face.

"Of course. It's such a shame your presence will no longer be accompanying me. Always sad to have a meaningful conversation go to waste over a fine meal and ale." The venom of his voice was sharp and he desperately hoped that it stung. Rolfe cleared his throat as the beast left the room and turned to another voice that had addressed him. A smile brightened his face, though it barely reached his eyes.

"Ah, John! How have you been?" He clasped the man's hand firmly and clapped the Clayburn on the shoulder. John was the one Clayburn that Rolfe especially liked. It helped that the man held himself up well and didn't resort to the toxic fumes of drunkenness that the rest of his family seemed to expel.

A softer voice clouded his emotions, however. Lady Clad. Maintaining a pleasant look, he turned to the woman and simply bowed, folding his arm in front of his stomach but keeping his other arm to his side. The woman didn't deserve the compete bow that Elric often felt was respectful. Rolfe's lips curled into a small smile. "Save your kind words. You and I both know that they are empty. I am simply here to serve in Elric's place and then back to Pinecliff I will go. It will all go much more smoothly the quicker that I can exit this cursed castle." He meant what he had said. Aside from being a place for the Northern Lords to convene, it was also a place of death. He had spent three WinterNachts within its stone walls and never would he get use to it. Every inch of his being hated being inside. The younglings would never understand.

JanMan-tumblr_lstztbcb9z1ql7cdto1_500.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Elric Massur: Duke of Pinecliff
Elric kept himself composed when the servant came to "relieve" him of his dance. It wasn't that the Princess wasn't beautiful. Oh no, she very much was. But he knew that he wasn't ready to dance. Sir Tekkan and the people of Pinecliff would just have to keep waiting. He was not, however, excited to meet with the King. 'What could he possibly want him me,' the Duke though, nodding his response to the servant.

"Of course. You will have to lead me there, it has been many years since I have been within these walls." He turned to the Princess, smiling gently. "Forgive me, Princess. It seems-" Evelyn gave him her permission, and he returned his nod of farewell. His dark eyes wandered to Tekkan who was leading away the drunk Franis. The man had always been a noble friend. Never questioned unless he absolutely felt it was needed.

The servant bowed to Elric and turned on his heel. The Duke began to follow suit only to be interrupted by none other than Elizabeth. "No need to explain, dear Eliza. If you truly feel the need to talk, send for me later this evening." He gave her a warm smile and went after the servant, ducking around people as he passed.

Tekkan called out to him, having released Francis to Elizabeth on her orders. He walked briskly to the man's side. "My Lord Duke, shall I follow you?"

"The King and I have some business to discuss. What exactly, I'm not sure. Feel free to wait outside the drawing room."

"But, Elric, I would much rather-"

"No need, friend. The King does not wish to harm me. Staying outside the door will suffice."

"Of course."

They followed the servant to the drawing room and Tekkan took his place beside the door, his hand on the hilt of his sword. As the servant opened the door, Elric went inside.

"Your Grace, Duke Massur of Pinecliff," the servant announced.

The door closed behind them and Elric dropped to a knee. It was an old custom, but one that he stuck with. In the presence of the King himself, it would be considered treason for a Northerner to fail to comply. "You wish to speak with me, Your Grace?" Elric asked, raising his head to look at the pristine man. His face was much cleaner than it had been in the ballroom, the specks of enemy blood were no longer apparent.

Maximus looked up from his drink when the servant announced Elric, nodding at his traditional bow. “A pleasure as always, please, come and sit.” He gestured at the twin to the plush chair he currently resided in that held a small table between them. He looked at his servant, who was staring off into space. “Get the man a drink.” He snapped and the man jumped slightly and hurried to do so, pouring a generous helping into a fine goblet for the Duke. He served it, then scurried from the room. Maximus rolled his eyes. “A son of a noble. Supposed to be my squire but the boy is too stupid to pour drinks let alone carry my sword.” He smiled around the joke and took another sip of his wine. “To business then.” He pushed the missive across the table. “Have a look at that for me.”

He folded his legs while the larger man read, watching him as he did so. When he’d appeared to have finished and gestured towards it. “A strange thing, that is. Normally this sort of thing would be sent to her father as it is his responsibility to look after his girl. I’ve met Serah once or twice, she’s a beautiful, elegant thing. Initially I thought her too frail a thing for the North, but after reading of her husband’s ‘training’ accident, I think I was wrong to think she was not a she-wolf.” He smiled to show it as a compliment. “Never cared much for the man, my late wife always said he reminded her of an eel.” He drummed his fingers on the arm of the chair.

“As a man of the North and the only representative it has tonight outside of the Clayburns, which my servant informed me were both drunk or close to it, I’m curious about what you think could be done. I’m half tempted to forward the damn thing on to Bjarke as a show of good faith, but he’d likely kill half the household of Serah’s husband and start a civil war over it. My strategic mind tells me to give her to someone close, so I could keep her in my pocket if I ever had need.” He leaned over to fill both of their goblets again. “And then again, the safest thing to do is to offer her to another Northman. One of the Clayburns or someone else.” He licked his lips and picked up the missive. “And still another option remains, marry the girl myself.” He smirked. “I’m old, but I see little chance for conflict. Who would protest such a match? Bjarke perhaps, but if he did anything aggressive it would be pure treason to protest a marriage to the King. But I’ve talked enough, tell me, what would you do in my place?” He settled back in the chair to listen. Some would call it unwise to share so much with Elric, but Maximus knew the other man had no taste for drama and thus wouldn’t cause any if he could avoid it.

tumblr_m4omgjGd0r1qewsw4o1_500.gif

"Of course, Tristan. We'd be honoured to have you train with us once more. You should join us in the morning, our practice grounds are just off from the outer bailey," Robert responded, the smile on his face was encouraging... His reaction however to Tristan's comment had caused a wide grin to appear on the Duke's face as he tried his hardest not to laugh....

"Why thank you Robert. I would be honoured to train with you....anytime.." He said softly his last words was slower then the rest...but it might of been because as he spoke a cloaked figure had came and grabbed his shoulder. Causing the small Duke to turn his head as he spoke before going silent.. A gentle whisper came from the cloaked figure.."I should be fine....It's not like anyone here is going to attack me, plus These fine men here wont let that happen.. it will be fine, go ahead. Plus even if you four leave, That still leaves four of you here, no? Just promise either Sypher or Maehel will remain here with me and you have a deal."

"Are you sure my Lord?" The large figure replied looking over the Knights that Tristan was standing with.. "They look......Sselesu..." He said bluntly and it was obviously an insult. For Tristan without warning punched his guard in the chest causing a deep cough to erupt from the man as he struggled to gain his breath..

"Yes, I am sure, I trust these men...now.... Seig olopa." Tristan replied his face slightly scrunched and the tone of his voice were very unlike the small Duke. This slight outburst had caused the other members of Tristan's guard to turn and face towards Tristan, each of their hands resting on their weapons only to relax when they realized what had just happened.

Maehel~~~~~
She held up the wall with a quite lean her features hidden under the large black cloak she wore. Her green eyes locked on the motions of her Lord. She thought nothing of the fact he had vanished with the King. After all They were family and it normal for family to go off and speak to one another. She trusted Tristan in the guard of the King. The man had been kind to Tristan ever since his first visit to the realm.

When he returned aloe she was unmoved. Thinking the King had remained to tend to other concerns that were not hers. So she dropped the thought. When Tristan interacted with the Knights of the Court she could not help but chuckle as she watched Tristan's lips to hear his words. When Tristan made the comment about Roberts Sword..she couldn't help but let out a soft chuckle... How like Tristan to make a fool of himself in front of those he had his eyes one.
Seeing that he had saved himself from a potentially horrible incident of embarrassment she let out a soft sigh.

She continued to watch the young man with a careful eye her hands constantly under her cloak as she held on to her daggers. Her brow raised a bit when Tristan punched one of his guards... "Damnit Talion...." She hissed as she hopped off the wall and walked over to Tristan and the others. It was near impossible to tell her gender as she walked over to them. "Problems M'Lord?" She said in a very UN-amused tone. "None...." Was her reply from Tristan. "Very well, Talion go do what ever it is you have to..." She calmly as she looked over the group around Tristan. "Forgive him....he's new to be outside of Gethenwood." She said sweetly as she bowed her hooded head.

"Sir Maehel, Sir Robert and the others have invited me to practice with them would you like to join me in the morning?" Tristan asked, his happy tone returning swiftly to the young man.
"Practice, their sword skills?" She asked her tone revealing she had heard his comment.
"Mhm.." Tristan returned as he broke out into a smile. "OH, this is Sir Maehel, she is a member of my personal guard.." He said softly gesturing between the Group and Maehel.
Maehel smiled under her hood as she bowed her head. "Greetings, pleasure to meet you all." She said softly as she held out her hand to grasp the hands of the men.

Evelyn watched the retreating figure of the Duke, soon after doing the same for Tekkan, Elizabeth and Francis. Suddenly alone, the princess took another glass of wine for herself and collected her thoughts. So Elizabeth had a child out of wedlock and Francis was only just finding out. Perhaps the North was not so unified as she and her Father had feared. She smoothed her gown and looked around. The party was dying down as it became apparent that the King would likely not be making an appearance. Evelyn was rather grateful. She loved parties but this one was only the first of many and all of this drama had worn her out. She was considering slipping away herself, leave them all wondering where she was, when she spotted her sister reappearing…in a different gown. She narrowed her eyes. Black was hardly a color appropriate for such a gathering and the simplicity of the dress…She scowled. The other one was ruined, she was sure.

As she made her way towards the gathering loop of knights, she witnessed Lilith leap onto Tristan’s back. Her ankles and calves were revealed and my god her body was all over their ‘cousin’ of sorts! The princess felt angry heat rising in her face as she approached, forgoing her cordial smile, her knights did not need it. “What precisely, do you think you’re doing?” She hissed at her sister, eyes dark and ‘unholy’ as their grandmother oft described her eldest granddaughter. “You’re behaving like a child, and all the court is here to see that.” Her arm snatched out and gripped the other girl roughly. “Excuse us, Sir Knights. Tristan.” She spat his name, clearly seeing his part in this lunacy. She drug Lilith forcibly half the up the stairs to their private tower. “What, pray tell, did you think to gain from this? Do you like embarrassing our family? Do want the both of us spinsters and all father’s achievements over shadowed by your wild behavior?” She roughly released Lilth’s arms and sneered at her.

Evelyn knew, she knew very well, that all the Knights and Tristan would think her so cruel and awful for treating sweet, wild, Lilith so harshly. But she cared not. Someone had to look after them, someone had to ensure they didn’t defame their father or their passed mother. “I don’t care what people say about us or Father, we will not give them more reasons to talk. We will be perfect so that the rumors only sound wilder. If you do not wish to behave like a lady, I will arrange a marriage for you to a hound or a horse and you can go to the Summer House and I will never have to see your face again. Such a day would come too soon!” She looked her over and felt her chin quiver with the coming of angry tears. “Could you stop being selfish for just the Summer? Everything you do reflects back on me! I want a husband! I want to rule and do things right! Don’t ruin that for me with your idiotic behavior!”

She shook her head and stormed away, mounting the steps to her quarters. “I don’t know why I bother, you don’t care about anyone but yourself.” She slammed the door behind her when she reached it, and flung herself on her massive bed, sobbing into the fine material and tugging it close to her.

city-of-bones-clarissa-fray-clary-fray-gif-Favim.com-1211427.gif

Lilith Monroe Fairway- "I am young, yes, but what I have learned is that love, the beauty of it, the joy of it, and yes, even the pain of it, is the most incredible gift to give and to receive as a human being. And we deserve to experience love fully, equally, without shame and without compromise."

The angered voice of her sister reached Lilith's ears, before her arm was forcefully grabbed and pulled out of the Room full of Guests, she let out a few cries of protest. Then she was pulled into their own small private tower. Before being pulled, all she was doing was talking to the Marketer from the Kingdom, talking about just how well he was doing. Now, alone with her sister, she looked calm, without a care. Of course, curiosity didn't come, she already knew what was going to happen.

But it was much worse.

Evelyn looked so angry, so absolutely furious at Lilith. The girl, from her ears, to the brink of her neckline, all Lilith could see was red. She knew what she did to make her sister mad, but she didn't think anything like this exactly would happen. It had seemed to scare the young girl, just a wee bit, having never seen her sister so angry.

Then came the yelling, causing Lilith to flinch. But luckily she kept her lips closed, wanting to listen to what her sister had to say. After being called selfish and that her actions were idiotic, she literally snapped. Something inside had shifted, changed, fell, realigned. Anger coursed through her veins, the only thing she could see was red once her sister left. Yes, Evelyn may be true, but to say it like that? What does the women think she's gonna get? The perfect little sister? No. Lilith couldn't stop who she was, couldn't control more than half of her decisions/actions. She wasn't trying to be selfish, nor ruin anything for Evelyn. All she wanted, was for the best for Evelyn. Everything that could have possibly kept Lilith calm, had gone.

She stomped after Evelyn, opening the door roughly and almost breaking the door by how hard it hit the wall. "I don't care about anyone but myself? You're the one to talk! I'm trying to be nice, I'm trying not to supposedly Ruin everything for the dear 'Queen' Evelyn. No. We're never going to be perfect while I'm in the family, and I'm not going to stop who I am. If you want a Husband, then go get yourself one! I can see the looks you give to the men in the Court, you don't even try to give any of them a single chance! I was hoping that Elric and you would possibly get along, and maybe even get married! I want the best for you." Lilith spat, she had never raised her voice before, had never had such a look of distaste on her face. But being yelled at by Evelyn just made her snap, it broke her.

"If I'm that much of a problem, then I'll be out of your hair. You'll be the only princess, the only queen. You'll get everything. A husband, a child. But you won't have a sister anymore. I'm done." She shrugged her shoulders before walking out of the room calmly, walking back down to the room full of people, and walked right out the front door.

Lilith didn't care, she didn't want to be such a large problem within the Royal family anymore. Her feet carried her to the stables, walking inside and walking towards her Horse. Her Horse's name was Midnight, and honestly, she lived up to that name. Midnight had pitch black fur, besides a small patch of white on the middle of her back, which almost looks like a moon- But a bit more deformed. Lilith pulled herself onto her horse and quickly kicked off, causing Midnight to let out a loud whine before beginning to run, her hooves pounding against the floor loudly. Her hair flew with the wind as she made her way farther and further away from her home. Following Lilith's demands, Midnight and Lilith were now both inside of the forest just outside the village, wandering around so she, herself, could think about what she should do next. She of course, didn't plan to return back to the Kingdom- Nor castle, for a little while. She'd let Evelyn try to get a Husband without her in the way. Of course, the young girl may come back within two- Three days, but she was.. Embarrassed, to be honest. Raising her voice, acting like a child, it was all honestly her part. She just didn't want to take the blame, didn't want to act like a 'Lady' when that wasn't really who she was.

Not once did she cry though, not a single tear was shed from her. Everything but anger had left her body, and honestly that was what mostly she was going to thrive on for a little while until she finally cooled it.

xfB8yNi.gif

-Robert Bowman, Knight of the Kings Guard-

As Tristan introduced Sir Maehel, Robert noticed Evelyn tightly grasp Lillith's forearm, yanking her from the crowd. Keeping his eye on the growing developments, Robert bowed his head politely before looking back to his new acquaintance, "Greetings, Sir Maehel. My name is Robert Bowman, Knight of the King's Guard. I hope the capital is treating you well." The pleasantries continued for sometime as the group engaged in idle chatter. The hubbub of the party seemed to be dying down slightly and Robert breathed a sigh of relief. It was no surprise. After all, all of the royals had quit the main chamber and many of the nobles of influence were otherwise engaged. There was about a two minute gap between the disappearance of the princesses and the re-emergence of Lillith. Robert was quite taken aback, expecting her to simply remain in her chambers after what was no doubt a rough fight with her sister. However, it came as no surprise to him when she stopped for nobody and stormed out of the main doors. "Oh no," he cursed under his breath as he watched her leave, turning at the hip to follow after her. "I'm sorry to cut this short but I must leave. That girl will get herself killed one of these days." After excusing himself as politely as he could, Robert turned fully on his heel and set off after her. She had moved at quite some speed and by the time he had reached the outer bailey, Lillith was already saddled up and careering out of the main gate, away from the castle and the capital. Mounting his horse, Robert dashed forth, trying to guess the path that she would have taken the best he could. He knew she would go outside of the city walls, that much was for certain, but the route she would have taken was not. The city was dead, also, so asking passers-by was not an option as was so often the method when retrieving the young princess from her flights of fancy. Robert was simply left with no choice but to follow his gut instinct. So, careering through the streets, he darted head on towards the forest, taking the quickest route he knew of.

When Robert reached the woods, the whole area seemed dead. There was no sound apart from the ones that the wind conjured - the rustling of tree leaves and the moaning of concentrated breeze, for example. Robert dismounted and tied his horse to the nearby try, stepping forward into the dark of the forest. The branches under his foot cracked over the metallic thudding of his ceremonial armour. Venturing no more than a hundred metres into the treeline, he finally spied Lillith's horse. Got you, he thought to himself proudly. Creeping up so as not to disturb her, he leaned against the tree behind her and craned his head around the side. There was complete silence as she paced up and down with a thousand thoughts per second racing through her head. "You know, one of these days you should really start letting people know you're going for a stroll. You can't rely on my watchful eye to catch you every time..." he spoke all of a sudden, his tone very mellow and understanding. It was a tease aimed at maybe making her smile, maybe cheering her up slightly. He knew she would seldom return to the castle in a bad mood and even with him in her company the woods were very dangerous at night. He stepped out from behind the tree and positioned himself in front of it instead, leaning his back against it and his left hand on the pommel of his blade which sat in its sheath. It was quite strange, but, outside of the castle and the city, away from external eyes, he didn't feel the need to be so formal with her. Be it the fact that reprimand for his inexcusable behaviour was unlikely or be it that Lillith just gave off a relaxed aura, he acted a lot more cool, collected and more like an actual person than a servant. Who knows? He may have come to regret it. However, given the atmosphere and the events that had just transpired, demanding that she return to the castle at once would have felt tactless and cruel. Being open with her just felt right.

tumblr_static_arthur1.gif

Last edited:
Garlen Mattowick, Houndmaster
2327958444_6f3428a950_z.jpg

The forest stood still and eerily quiet despite the usual thrum of activity between the woodland fauna, a silence of which was abruptly disturbed as Mattowick hastily marched through the brush, stopping for but a moment. The baron, clad in a grandiose plate harness fastened with rivets of gold and a hound-skull bascinet placed a foot atop of a stump and stared out in the path in front of him, unremittingly.

Behind him, two men quickly padded up the path, catching up to Mattowick. They were equipped with the same armaments of, more or less but lacked the famous helm that he donned, and each carried a leash that harnessed an eager and proud hunting hound. The hounds fidgetted and sniffed the air without end, it was obvious they were hunting something. As the houndkeepers caught up with him, Garlen spoke.

"We are gaining on him, squire...these tracks are much more fresher, I am sure we will find him within the hour..."

"That is if he isn't dead already, milord. His blood trail has gone too thin..too thin, it's almost not there." The squire pulled back the harness, restraining his overly ecstatic hound as he addressed him.

"I'll be the judge of that, squire. Now, where do the hounds point to?"

The men loosened their grip on the leashes, and allowed the hounds to roam more freely, in but a moment, they caught the trail once more, raising a leg and lurching their noses forward left of the path.

"A few clicks east they says...But thats in the direction of the village.."

"He's trying to throw us off.. I suppose he thought that we would not expect him to go in that direction...Of course, he did not account for the fact that he was running from me..Lets move."

With that, they strided off, as they neared the village the densely packed trees of the forest became thinner, and the sunlight more clear. Garlen would glance every now and then to little bits of sky that would peep through the diminishing canopy as they ran, and he thought of the days of his youth as he padded through the forests as a young lad in the summer afternoon.

"There he is milord!"

He came to abruptly from his miniature daydream and saw his prey no more than 40 yards away; A worn and beaten man. He wore the scraps of a suit that was slashed and tattered by branches and the foliage of the forest. His pants around the right thigh was drenched in blood; a wound from a hound's bite. The man looked back at the sound of his squire's call, and he began to run...run with whatever scraps of strength he had left within him, his eyes were stricken by fear, and his hounds had picked up on it, thrashing ravenously as they chased.

The man was a blackmailer of Garlen's one who had escaped him once, but not this time. Garlen and his men doubled their pace immediately, when they had emerged to a small clearing, he shouted with a deafening call that could be heard well throughout the forest.

"RELEASE THE HOUNDS!"

His men quickly severed their leashes to the hound's harnesses, freeing them. The hounds, unrestrained, took off after the man faster than one could say "Blade". At this point it was only a matter of time, what little there was. Garlen and his men slowed down to a jog as they watched the hounds close distance, their paws vigorously padding against the leaves and branches of the ground: Thirty yards, twenty yards, ten yards...The man was tackled to the ground as they went to work, tearing and biting and gnawing. Garlen and his men caught up with them, and his keepers promptly re-leashed them. The baron went through his tattered pocket and found just what he had been looking for, the very secret a man had not so long died to protect. This man was no ordinary blackmailer, he had many contacts, and carried many secrets on nobles; dark secrets, those of which required them to seek a man capable of tracking him down, a Houndmaster.

Garlen, rather satisfied, up and stated,

"I believe our work here is done, my boys, all we need to do is bury this fellow here and we'll be off." He grumbled to himself remembering that this errand of his had made him miss the party the king had held for his two daughters. He thought back of all the wine, food and socialization that he had missed, but it was no matter, better to show up late than not at all, he would say, of course, he did plan to go.

As his men just finished digging a shallow grave by a patch of tall grass, Garlen noticed something admist the trees.

It was a girl, a particularly fair, but vaguely familiar one with curly brown hair, wandering the forests. She rode atop a well-kept, black horse. By her appearance she was a noblewoman no doubt, one that he vaguely remembers..though from where, he cannot say. She had a stern look on her face, one of strong contemplation. At that same time he noticed another man approaching her from behind, possibly an escort, all nobles tend to have those nowadays, the thought crossed his head as he glanced back at his houndkeepers, coincidentally.

"You know, one of these days you should really start letting people know you're going for a stroll. You can't rely on my watchful eye to catch you every time..."

The baron was not one for pursuing topics of little relevance, especially after an errand like his, however he was particularly curious of those two. Could they have seen them while they took him down? Do they pose a threat to him? Garlen and his men approached the two, with a silver tongue.

"A lovely lady atop an ebony horse and a knight in shining armor out here in the woods? Do tell why they would come to this edge of the forest?"

He treaded calmly, but cautiously, his bascinet concealing his face. Above him, the trees swayed under the summer sun, little shafts of light peeped down below.

• Love
Reactions: 1 person
Lilith Monroe Fairway- "I am young, yes, but what I have learned is that love, the beauty of it, the joy of it, and yes, even the pain of it, is the most incredible gift to give and to receive as a human being. And we deserve to experience love fully, equally, without shame and without compromise."

Pacing, branches crushing under soft fabricated shoes, no less, thousands of thoughts corrupted the young girls mind. She could barely hear another person walking behind her, the voice barely registered in her mind as someone recognizable. It just screamed Danger and she quickly grabbed a shoe and threw it at the person behind her. Turning around, blonde hair and armor was the only thing she could see due to the light of the moon. She knew him- Robert, which caused her to have heat rise up to her cheeks. ".. You're watchful eye?" She asked, letting out a soft sigh before a small 'I'm sorry' was muttered.

A yell was heard not to far, causing her gaze to turn towards the commotion, only to see a few Hounds chase after a very bloodied man. Her eyes widened and she wanted to go over there, wanted to see if he was alright. They weren't too deep in the forest- Robert and her, so that's why she could see the whole thing clearly. Hell, Lilith almost began to feel her feet try to move, but abruptly stopped when men surrounded the now.. Supposed dead man.

The sight was gruesome, and she removed her gaze from the scene and returned to Robert. Alas, one of the men hovering over the body had noticed the two, and had strode towards both of them. She looked over at him, a blank face showing nothing. The man spoke, with only ease, but a hint a cautiousness. "Ah, we're terribly sorry if this your claimed land." She apologizes, her voice held what was said, but.. Only a hint of fear could be noticed if anyone had paid enough attention. Lilith hadn't answered the question, she didn't want to. She just stared down at the man curiously, wondering why exactly he had killed the other. Of course, she wouldn't ask- Although it was very tempting, due to her bluntness that she had gotten from her Mother.

Lilith's gaze moved to Robert, a small frown setting place on her lips. "You don't need to be here Robert, Maximus and quite possibly Evelyn would most likely need you right about now. It seems that you were busy talking to someone important, I suppose. So please head back home." Her voice came out quiet, but still able to hear. She was still angry, and it was quite apparent to others if they looked close enough.

Not even a second had passed before she raised her leg over her stead, before jumping off Midnight.

Curiosity got the best of her, as she stepped forward, towards the unknown man. "And who might you be? and your.. Other men." She spoke, peaking her head out from behind the other man to look at the group behind whom were now a bit dirty, rather than before when they were somewhat clean, yet only a few specks of blood could be seen on them. The dirt covered it up now, so she couldn't necessarily ask about that. "Are you here for the court? I don't quite recognize you." Lilith stated, looking up at the rather tall man.

He was.. Interesting, Lilith wanted to know more. Her care-free, calm self now hidden away. She wouldn't show anymore weakness, only a possibly small sense of curiosity. She would keep her face blank, and she wouldn't act so childish anymore.

Lilith wouldn't last long as this 'New' person.

tumblr_m2d8xkj47n1qkpcapo1_500.gif

• Thank You
Tristan's face said it all.. That look of how the hell dare you. His posture had changed from angry to happy and back to angry. How dare Evelyn talk to him or Lilith like that. Who was she to talk to Tristan or Lilith as if they had done something wrong. They were family and if Lilith jumping on his back was such a big deal to Evelyn. He was about to go after Evelyn and Lilith and give Eve a piece of his mind...when Maehel's hand on his shoulder stopped him. She knew why he was upset. But it didn't matter now was not the time or place for this her grip said firmly as Tristan shifted due to discomfort.

"Greetings, Sir Maehel. My name is Robert Bowman, Knight of the King's Guard. I hope the capital is treating you well." They heard Robert say. She replied with the same casual courtesy as they discussed something off little importance Maehel's hand not leaving Tristan's shoulder as she held him in place.
Seeing Lilith storm out of the Castle doors and Robert turn to follow after excusing himself. They watched him go after Lilith....

The two looked at one another. Tristan's eyes filled with both worry and anger.. and without a word they separated Maehel walking out of the castle after Robert and Lilith and Tristan walking off towards Evelyn's room. He knew the castle and and she knew the way...

His attention turned to Maehel hopeful she would keep a watchful eye not only on Lilith but on Robert as well. Part of Tristan couldn't help but worry over the young knight. Especially in the forests around the castle. Who knew what they could run into there, and what if they were outnumbered....Tristan had no doubt of Robert's skill but even the best warrior could only do so much when faced with to many foes...But he would have to put those concerns aside as he reached Evelyn's room and looked at the state of the door.. "Well...." He started softly as he entered the room. "What could possibly upset you enough to spit my name and treat Lilith like that?" He asked his concern was obvious in his voice.. His anger had been slapped away by the sounds of Evelyn sobbing into her bed. Without thinking he sighed softly and sat on the foot of her bed. His eyes locked on the door as he awaited her reply.

Maehel's black stead raced out of the staples as she went after Lilith and Robert.. Her mind calm as she went on her mission. She knew why Tristan had sent her after the two but what she was not expecting was Sypher to appear on her side.
"Come I know were they are.." He called out to her as they darted down the forest's path.. Maehel only nodded as Sypher took the lead.
The long loose black cloaks they wore, rippled in the wind tell they came to a stop....Sypher and Maehel dismounting without a sound as their horses trotted to a stop away from them. The two landed in a crouch both of their hands rested on their bows as they crouched forward...

Maehel looked over to find Sypher had vanished into the dark of the night....Knowing him he had moved to find a better vantage point. She shook her head softly as she crept behind a tree and saw both Robert and Lilith being approached by a group of men...Her body hidden among

"A lovely lady atop an ebony horse and a knight in shining armor out here in the woods? Do tell why they would come to this edge of the forest?"

She looked out of her cover as she notched and arrow in her bow.. "Who are they.." She thought to herself before looking off to see Sypher with a well trained arrow locked on the man..When their eyes met she shook her head to which Sypher nodded. "Of course...lets shoot first then ask questions later..." She thought to herself as she turned back to the men and their dogs as Lilith dismissed Robert before she hoped off her horse and walked over to the group...This was very unsettling.....and nether Maehel or Sypher knew what to expect.....But they were ready, arrows notched and ready, and should it come to it...they both had other tricks up their woodland sleeves.

• Love
Reactions: VengefulPeanut
Garlen Mattowick
ULF-HM-03dx.jpg

His hounds paced slowly around the two, they watched over them like steadfast judges, ready to decide whether life or death be best suited to them, and if death was to be chosen for them, how would they go about it? Break their ankles and gnaw at their crippled foes? Or tear at their exposed bits of flesh, draining their blood? Of course this isn't exactly what went through the hounds mind's but it was certainly something close to it. They would move the moment their master had made the call, but he did not...And so they kept a sizeable distance between them and the two as the girl began speak. The forest was almost utterly silent, you could hear a pin drop in a bed leaves, which only served to unsettle the baron's houndkeepers, the Baron however-

"Ah, we're terribly sorry if this your claimed land."

She spoke cautiously and without show of emotion, though there was a hint of something else...Anticipation? Fear? Even more, she had not answered his question. Garlen responded poignantly.

"I suppose you could say that, Dear Lady, I could very much buy out this village if I find it suitable to my needs."

Mattowick knew naught about this person other than subtle familiarity, but he listened more closely this time as she dismounted her ebony horse, and continued. His hounds grew anxious as she approached them and daintily looked over his shoulder, but her question proved even more peculiar.

"And who might you be? and your.. Other men...Are you here for the court? I don't quite recognize you."

He rose an eyebrow beneath his helm at her question. Could she not see his coat of arms, splayed beautifully out on his chestplate? He was sure almost every noble knew of him at the very least. Or perhaps he was not as influential as he seemed...He responded nonetheless, in a quaint, but steadfast manner.

"Well, Dear Lady,You may know me as Garlen Mattowick, Houndmaster and Baron of these lands, I believe that is enough to jog your memory, but yes, I did intend to partake in the court after I had finished but a small errand."

He spoke considerably quieter on his last statement, It was likely that she had seen them do it, and she spoke out of fear, who wouldn't in such a situation? If she was a noblewoman, then her getting word out of this would most certainly diminish his popularity and influence throughout Maximus' court. The Baron spoke once more, this time much more slowly and carefully, the air grew tense as if the whole forest was leaning in on him, listening.

"Now bids the question: Who are you? And why are you here?"

Before she could respond, his hounds began barking fiercely. But it was not at the two, they had picked another scent...and they were very close..the Houndkeepers knew this.

His squire turned to him "Milord, we're-!

"ITS AN AMBUSH" He shouted

Mattowick and his men drew their swords in a flourish of steel, his men covered his flanks, holding on tightly to their leashes. The dogs were eager.

"Show yourselves! Lest my hounds make a meal out of you!"

He shouted out into the brush from where the scent came, his men stood anxiously, ready to sever the hound's leashes. They knew not how many there could be, for all they knew it could be a roaming bear. The houndmaster was not one to take chances.

• Love
Arren Graesson

Arren sighed, watching Tristan's guards go after Robert and Lilith. "Your lordship - I am afraid the presence of your guard will merely unsettle her highness." He bowed and stepped out. Of course, too many people would anger Lilith, especially if they were guard's of Tristan's watch and not of her father's. He checked - there were plenty of guard's in the room. This was a ball for the princesses, and it would be rather unfit if one of her highnesses were not present... He weighed his options, but he was already yards out of the ballroom when he decided in stone. He ran to the stables, almost knocking down a servant boy.

When he reached the stables, he saw that Midnight was gone. He mounted his dark brown horse, and spurred her from the stables. He pulled the horse to an expert stop at the gates - he could see Maehel and her comrade's figures down the road - about fifty yards. "Who came through here?" he bellowed to the gateskeeper. The man looked at him, innocently.

"The Princess, Sir Bowman, and them two right 'ere." He said.

"No they didn't." He said, drawing 10 coins from his coin purse. The gateskeeper nodded, understandingly. Arren kept himself an ample distance from Maehel. He'd been on enough of the king's hunts to recognize the next sound he heard - the barking of hounds. He spurred his horse and took a blast of speed. When he arrived - he found it was just in time. He was almost 20 yards away from the group when he heard - "Ambush!"

"Halt!" He barked. He barely gave his horse time to stop before he jumped the side, throwing himself in front of the houndmaster - whose face he recognized. He well known in the king's reach. He drew his sword, much to the distate of the houndmaster's men. Instead of swinging an attack, he drove his sword into the ground and knelt. "Good, sir, I humbly present myself - Sir Arren Graesson of the King's Guard." HE said, leaving his head bowed. "I hope you would allow to beg pardon for such dramatics, great houndmaster. We, of her majesty Princess Lilith's company, mean you no ill-bidding."

HE stood, leaving his sword in the ground. "Bring yourself forth!" He said to Maehal, who looked ready to fire her shot. "I, a knight of the King's Court, wish to humble myself before thee. We wouldn't dream of ill bearings towards you and your men." He said returning his gaze to the houndmaster.

• Love
Reactions: 2 people
Tristan looked back at Arren and nodded. "I understand that, but one can never be too sure of what they may find in the forests around the palace...." He said softly the hint of worry in his voice was obvious as was his calm eyes as he looked back at Arren before continuing his way to Evelyn's room.

"Show yourselves! Lest my hounds make a meal out of you!"

Nothing came but Sypher's booming voice. "Let the hounds loose and you will fall before they fall upon us." His voice seeming to come from everywhere as the leaves in the trees began to rustle as though people where in them.

Meahel looked back..as she heard ..."Halt! ..Arren had followed them..but his actions caused both Meahel and Sypher to tilt their heads in disbelief...

"Good, sir, I humbly present myself - Sir Arren Graesson of the King's Guard. I hope you would allow to beg pardon for such dramatics, great hound-master. We, of her majesty Princess Lilith's company, mean you no ill-bidding."
"Bring yourself forth!" He said to Maehal, who looked ready to fire her shot. "I, a knight of the King's Court, wish to humble myself before thee. We wouldn't dream of ill bearings towards you and your men." He said returning his gaze to the hound-master... Sypher looked down to Meahel who sighed softly and walked into the clearing her Bow locked on the Hounds-men and his company. She un-notched her arrow and raised her hand as though signaling for others.

"Sir Arren stand up, and please escort Lady Lilith and Sir Robert home...." She said calmly. She knew this could go either way and knew that no matter what happened Sypher had her back.

Meahel said little else as she eyed the men before her. She cared little about who's land they were one, or who this man was. All she cared about was making sure Robert and Lilith were safe...as well now Arren.

"Meht nopu nwod sworra niar ew llahs? Sypher called out from his vantage point. His voice once again booming through the clearing. Meahel shook her head and held her hand up. "Ydaer.."She replied her gaze not leaving the man or his group...

"As good as a man can be when he's raising two little ones and having to travel across all the Gods lands to do his brother's dirty work." John said this with a chuckle as he looked at the older man. He had always respected Rolfe and say him as a decent human being, but he knew that the man strongly disliked the Clads. John had never seen where his dislike truly stemmed from, but just from watching the few scenes unfold in front of him, well he could come up with a few strong reasons.

Looking to one of his men who was watching them, he motioned for him to take his daughter to bed. Lady Clad needn't be distracted during their meeting. John signed as his daughter began pitching a fit and knew that he was the same when he was her age. It was like karma or something. Giving a stern look at his daughter, she quieted down as the guard led her away. Once Amelia was out of sight, he turned his attention back to Sir Rolfe, asking, "How have you been?"

John couldn't remember the last time that he had seen the man, perhaps it was during the summer tournaments or something of that sort in the previous year. It was hard for John to believe that another year had gone by, which meant another year that he had to lie to his kids about their mother's whereabouts. When they were old enough they would know the truth, but what would they think? Little Amelia would be on her way to France to find her mother, John knew that much and that knowledge terrified him. As for his son, well he wasn't sure. He could never be too sure of his son's actions.

As a servant passed with a tray of some type of alcohol, for all John knew it could be poison, he grabbed a glass and gulped it down. It was a way to calm his nerves and that would be the only glass he allowed himself. He couldn't go stumbling back to his room where his sleeping children were. What kind of parent would he appear to be? Rubbing the back of his neck awkwardly, he pulled himself from his thoughts and said a small apology. He highly doubted Sir Rolfe had understood anything he said, after all he had chosen to speak in the old mountain language. It was the language of his ancestors and his people, but it was dead as far as the rest of the country was concerned. He found it amusing how easily he could slip in and out of the ancient tongue, but once again he pulled himself from his thoughts, focusing on the task in front of him.
tumblr_njq8hpdpG51tqob8bo2_r1_500.gif

Garlen Mattowick, Houndmaster
Pigface-Bascinet-Helmet_250x250.jpg

"Let the hounds loose and you will fall before they fall upon us."

The Baron grit his teeth at such impunity occuring in front of him, to him, it was an empty threat trying to get him to submit in his own territory. And so he spoke, carefully, but tersely. He pointed his sword towards the direction where the voice likely came from.

"You do not sound like an ordinary brigand or bandit, but rather an overzealous noble with misdirected suspicions..."

He chuckled to himself

"I suppose you think what are you are doing is awfully just... Raising arms at me, threatening a baron in his own lands, Hm? You hide away and simper in the trees like the petty bandit who waits for the honest trader to cross his path before robbing him with threats and a blunted knife, tell me..What say you?"

His words rung out loudly and coldly so however many of the could hear it. At that point he realized he was still in front of the the lady and his escort's presence, he turned towards them and spoke in a much more reserved tone

"Do you perhaps know of these people, Dear Lady? I apologize for this-

"Halt!"

Out of nowhere another man in armor burst through the brush on a steed with shattering haste. He leapt of his horse and in front of Garlen. He and his men quickly shuffled backwards, pulling the hounds back as well, who were barking and growling ravenously. Suddenly, the man drew his sword and plunged into the earth in front of him; A sign of respect, was it?

"Good, sir, I humbly present myself - Sir Arren Graesson of the King's Guard."

He said, leaving his head bowed.

"I hope you would allow to beg pardon for such dramatics, great Houndmaster. We, of her majesty Princess Lilith's company, mean you no ill-bidding."

His eyes widened, this was rather much to take in. If his words were true, the girl in front of him would be the princess herself, and these bumbling fools (Exempting Arren) are her royal guard. If that were true, then if she had seen what he had done not a few minutes ago, years of work would be undone..He would do something about this in time..

He fondly remembers Arren, an ardent knight of his God and King, he would see him every time the King hosted an event, or when he had a political address for Maximus. They did not converse much beyond a nod or a greeting as he passed him, he was a good lad though.

He stood still for a moment, gathering his thoughts. Somewhere, a bird called to its mother.

He stood, leaving his sword in the ground. "Bring yourself forth!" He said to Maehal, who looked ready to fire her shot. "I, a knight of the King's Court, wish to humble myself before thee. We wouldn't dream of ill bearings towards you and your men." He said returning his gaze to the Houndmaster.

Mattowick made a mental note to reward that Arren fellow when he got a chance, but for now..

The Houndmaster and his men sheathed their swords, the baron responding with more ease.

"At least one of you is capable of resolving issues peacefully. Thank you, lad...but that bids another question; Why have you all come here?"

He would say so, stretching his hands to his left and right, as a gesture to his estate behind him. His men tightened their leashes on the hounds, and looked at princesses escort anxiously.

-Robert Bowman, Knight of the Kings Guard-

As Robert awaited her response, he could see Lillith running his words over and over again in her head. He couldn't tell whether the cherry in her cheeks was fury or embarrassment - or both. So, he merely awaited her response, which when it came caused a stabbing feeling in his gut. "I'm sorry," she muttered lowly. He let out a deep sigh, vollying himself from the side of the tree using his hands. Before he could get close enough to look her directly in the eyes and tell her it was okay, alas, a loud yell was heard alongside a carnival of aggressive noises - hounds bark, dirt being churned under hoof, a man panting in desperation for his life. As Robert turned to observe, his eyes were treated to the gruesome sight of a man being ripped limb from limb by a pack of hunting dogs who slobbered and growled in ecstasy as they tore the man's flesh from his bones. Following the hounds as they returned to their master with his eyes, Robert saw an armour-clad man approaching, his demeanour threatening as he approached with the backing of his men and bloodthirsty hounds.

"A lovely lady atop an ebony horse and a knight in shining armor out here in the woods? Do tell why they would come to this edge of the forest?" the man asked, his voice tinny and muffled under the protection of his metal face-mask. Robert's eyes narrowed to slits as he instinctively placed himself between Lillith and the man. If he'd had time to think about what he was doing it might have worried him that he was so eager to potentially throw his life away. However, that was his duty. To be the sword and the shield of the Royal family - he had no other calling. Drawing his blade from its sheath he stood in a rather arrogant stance in the hopes of levelling the negotiating playing field.

"I am Sir Robert Bowman of the King's Guard. Do tell why our business is any concern of yours," he responded resolutely and firmly, his grip on his blade becoming tighter. However, before the man could respond and the standoff could continue, Lillith stepped forward and out of safety. Robert let out a shocked gasp. "M'Lady..." he protested before letting his tone fall off as she began to speak.

"Ah, we're terribly sorry if this your claimed land." Her whole aura was confident and she didn't show the level of fear one would expect when facing down potential death. Whether it was her arrogance as a noble in thinking that none would dare harm her or whether she was just an incredibly brave girl, Robert couldn't be sure. "You don't need to be here Robert, Maximus and quite possibly Evelyn would most likely need you right about now. It seems that you were busy talking to someone important, I suppose. So please head back home," she said, once more in a quiet and diminished tone as she looked straight at him.

"I am not moving anywhere, my lady. You can hate me for it all you will but I am not an oathbreaker," he answered, strictly, turning his attention back to the houndmaster. She didn't seem to acknowledge his response as she stepped closer towards the man, causing Robert to assume a ready position. Though he didn't want to undermine her, he wasn't about to let herself get killed. The two shared an exchange of back and forths, both trying to discern the purpose and the identity of the other. At least Robert knew who he was dealing with as a result of the proceedings. Garlen Mattowick. A trouble making noble with a sort of bitter, back door rivalry with the king. His name had crossed through Robert's ears before and he knew to be cautious of the fellow.

"Now bids the question: Who are you? And why are you here?" he asked. Robert stepped forward in protest.

"That is none of your concern-!" his defence of Lillith was cut short as his men started screaming of an ambush. Settling into a combat stance, Robert grabbed Lillith's forearm with his free hand and pulled her back behind him, ready to defend her at a moment's notice. Voices rang from beyond the nearby shrubbery, one voice in particular that Robert seemed to recognise though he couldn't place it. They engaged in some back-and-forth with the houndmaster, both parties trying to reign superior over the other, coercing a forced stand down. As the tension escalated to a pinnacle, another familiar voice sliced through the thick atmosphere.

"Halt!"

Stepping from the treeline was Arren. "Good, sir, I humbly present myself - Sir Arren Graesson of the King's Guard. I hope you would allow to beg pardon for such dramatics, great Houndmaster. We, of her majesty Princess Lilith's company, mean you no ill-bidding."

Arren, what are you doing you fool? Robert cursed to himself in his mind. They all knew the tenacity and the intrigue that surrounded the Baron and yet he still openly declared that Princess Lillith was among them when they were so vulnerable. His next move was to command the other two to step from concealment, playing away their last wildcard in an all or nothing move. Thankfully, the Baron seemed pleased with the draw-down and all of his men sheathed their blades. Following suit, Robert did the same and looked to Arren as Maheal commanded him to return him and Lillith to the castle. Robert grumbled angrily as the situation was pried from his hands and consequently from the hands of the King's Guard, Tristen's men were taking the lead now. Resorting to casting his bitterness at the scenario aside, Robert turned his attention back to Lillith. "My lady, please return to the castle with myself and Sir Arren. This clearly isn't an isolated place for quiet contemplation anymore. If you must find solace for some time then the Knight's quarters or the battlements will more than adequately suit your needs while all of the attention turns to the party. Please," Robert requested, his tone almost sounding as if he was pleading. The truth was, the longer they were away the more and more danger grew around them and the more and more angry the king would be if he were to find out. It was a sudden switch from his previous approach with her. The fact that other people of official stature were around meant he had to show all formalities and no colloquial behaviour could be afforded. Even still, his eyes told stories on how much he needed her to return.

Status
Not open for further replies.