Glowing Tree (The Roleplay!)

Well I don't know, Asmo. What do YOU think would be the appropriate reaction to bigass stone giants, when you got a daffy kid, a lady, an injured dude and one capable fighter? .___.

My holy water will make short work of them. >:|

Ok, yeah, that summary is fine for someone catching up to a story, but for trying to write the next part I'm still pretty confused.

I don't even know what's supposed to have happened to Rethil. He got swallowed by a shadow? 0K. I don't know what to do with that. I don't know how to handle these nebulous "spectral beasts" at all.

I mean, usually I can write by simply asking my characters what they would do and say in a given situation, but if the obvious course of action is "run" I can't narrate a half-decent-sized post of a person running. That's so bland someone else might as well write it for me, in under a sentence somewhere in their post. I need more to go on than that. If the course of action is "fight", I need to know about the enemy. The nature of these enemies is right in that place where it's too ambiguous to know how we're expected to fight them and how they're expected to react, and too specified to just improvise from scratch and expect anything consistent to come out. At least with the undead I had a general set of assumptions to work with, but what are these things? What does "Spectral" even indicate? Ghosts? Demons? Angels? If they're intangible, why are we so afraid of them? If they're tangible, why are they so hard to fight? If their tangibility is self-determined or selective, then obviously someone like Jair would just be punching air. URGH.

A person like me needs to at least have a list of the known traits of a given enemy when I start trying to write a character fighting them. I remember thinking the flying beasts were human-sized or something, and they're actually supposed to be just like large bats or something? Wait, maybe that's backwards, I don't even know.

Considering there's rarely enough time for more than one round of posting battle scenes before we're all carted off to the next chapter anyway, I don't even know why I'm fretting so much.

The real kicker is that none of this is why I haven't posted lately. I haven't posted lately because I've been swamped with schoolwork. Essays, reading, more essays on what I read. That kind of thing.

I think you're confusing Diana with me.

Diana doesn't expect anything. She just wants us to do what's most enjoyable for ourselves. Basically, we need an exciting escape from the cave - with whatever we think that entails.

I'm going to play the Giants like cave trolls and have a scrap with them. :|

Well, it does help when you post more than once a month, Xin. Then you can help add to the scene, developing the details with partners, and not getting lost when a GM has to move on. e_e I'm not going to stall the entire roleplay for one person who shows up to post once a month, when I have 5 other people who have been posting regularly, contributing to the story and are eager to move on.

I understand being busy with real life. I was busy enough that there was a ALMOST TWO MONTHS for players to post and develop this current chapter. This roleplay is not moving at the speed of light. There has been more than enough time to contribute and post.

So I'm not all that sympathetic to "I need more details about everything so I can post" when every other player has worked and BUILT on the basic descriptions since the start of the RP. Consistently. Without suggesting that there is not enough info for them to work with.

Outside of that very last post I made, which was admittedly confusing because I had to explain two different events at the same time. c___c

I'm sorry if I sound a little frustrated and ranty, but I posted in the OOC when this roleplay started that I expected multiple posts a week and stated right away that this roleplay would be moving forward with a schedule. And it hasn't even been doing that because I've been giving lots of extra time for posts because -I've- been busy. So I'm bound to get a little annoyed when someone that is too busy to keep up like the rest of the players wants to complain that things are going too fast. c___c

I'm going to play the Giants like cave trolls and have a scrap with them. :|

Cave trolls it is; let's keep some ass.

Xin, if you're finding that something hasn't been defined/explained enough to your liking, you can always just make it up yourself. Everyone else will run with it; that's the essence of what an RP is all about. Collaborative storytelling.

So, what I'm working with as far as the intangible beings go, is, first: RUNNING AWAY.
While they are not able to be hit, I am working under the assumption that they are sapping "life energy".
They are more soul-draining than bruise causing.
If anyone but Arothi has issue with this, go get yourself smushed by stone men.

The problem is not that things are moving too fast. The problem is that I read the posts describing the enemy and I still had no idea how to write them. (The following is in a completely sincere tone) It's obviously a deficiency on my part that I have no idea how to write "running away" in an exciting manner. I obviously have a problem of preferring to write battles that can be won, or at least fought with a hope of winning.

I have to admit that I'm lost here, and I don't really know why I'm lost. I can read every post that's been in this chapter in detail and still be completely lost as to what I can write next. When I look for reasons, things like the frustrations I listed in my last post are all that come to mind. I should probably make it clear that the point of my last post wasn't meant to complain about anyone else, but rather as an attempt to express the level and nature of frustration that's forming a constant feedback loop with my writer's block in this RP. I guess it shouldn't be surprising to me that I started out trying to say "I'm frustrated" and it came out as "it's everyone else's fault" even though it isn't.

The last time I felt like Jair was turning out to be completely useless, I channeled that feeling into the character and wrote a post about it. But I can only use that sort of thing for exactly one post, and now isn't exactly a good time to be reflective anyway.

Xin, you're an awesome GM and I've seen a heap of Grade A ideas from you. My advice is to carve a little roleplay corner for yourself here and let your imagination fly. I do the same with Darius - I've made this whole thing a story of his last quest, told retrospectively through diary entries. The monsters he fights are depicted in black and white terms of holy and unholy, and their threat is seen as both a spiritual and physical one.

I really want to see where Jair is coming from and how she views this quest and the perils upon it. All too often I've seen your roleplays fail before you've had the time to express your message as an artist. You're in a strong roleplay here with some very strong players, so I really want you to keep up and take some ownership of this thing.

Diana's giving you the freedom I never gave you in Legacy. Now show me what I was missing.

Reactions: 1 person