• No, but I really should!

• I wear glasses and contacts

• I got laser eyes surgery.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've needed glasses since I was little

I literally can't understand not needing glasses

Like, you just wake up, open your eyes, and can see whatever you want? Just like that?

Whaaaaaaaa??

O_O Well first of all, you shouldn't be using your fingernails at all!! I was taught how to use contacts by an actual eye doctor, but I didn't even consider that some people buy contacts for cosplay without that kind of instruction... I wouldn't recommend putting anything in your eyes until you know what you're doing with those things. O_O

At any rate, I wouldn't say you were just clumsy -- figuring out how to get contacts in is hard! It took me quite a while to get the hang of it. o_o

That said, taking them out was always an easier process, I think. It's a bit hard to verbally describe the whole process, but basically what you have to do is use the pads of your fingertips (not the nails!!) and just slide your thumb and index finger from the corners of your eye to the center of it, to sort of pluck the contact off the center of your eye. It's a bit tricky to get used to at first because, well, most people aren't used to touching their eyeballs like that -- I know I was always too gentle while I was still getting used to it which made it hard to do, and I didn't get better until I became more comfortable with doing it and wasn't as hesitant about it.

I think that getting them in is a lot harder because not only is it hard to get used to touching your eyes and not being too hesitant/gentle, but there's also the fact that eyes tend to not enjoy foreign objects being rammed inside them. o_o Like, sure, contacts are designed to be comfortable sitting on your eye once they're in, but, it's the process of getting them in that's hard. Everything that surrounds your eye is there to protect your eye and prevent things from touching it -- which means that you have to basically hold your eye open so that you don't blink or squint or even half-blink. And for me that was always one of the hardest parts -- keeping my eye held open well enough that my eyelids wouldn't try to bat the thing away before I got it on right. This is made even more difficult by the fact that your eyes will probably water at least a little, which means that it'll be harder to keep holding your eye open, because having wet fingers and eyelids makes keeping your grip nigh impossible. >_> I would definitely keep a towel on hand to wipe off your fingers/eyes if you run into that kind of problem.

Oh, and then there's also the problem of making sure the lens itself has enough contact solution on it to be comfortable on your eye, but also not too much solution so that it sticks to your finger... it can be tricky to get that balance down. Which is why, yeah, find someone who can teach you how to contact lens. o_o

The whole blinking/eye-watering thing is sort of present when taking them out, but it isn't nearly as much of an issue, because if you blink mid-way through taking it out, then it's a lot more likely that your eye will push the thing out rather than back in. Getting them in is a lot harder in that regard, because it's a lot easier to blink or half-blink and bat the thing away before it even gets near your eye. :/ There's also the problem of holding your eye open wide enough, which can also be hard to get used to, and also isn't much of a problem for getting them out just because getting a grip on it and slipping it off isn't as difficult as making sure you're giving your eye enough surface area so that the entire lens can make contact with it without letting the edges of it be blocked by your eyelids.

...But yeah. Hope that answers your question. XD
I kind of figured you don't actually grab it with the fingernail. But having your finger so close to your eye in general still holds the risk. :P

But basically what I'm getting is that I didn't practice enough at it, and/or my eye was way too twitchy?

Like, you just wake up, open your eyes, and can see whatever you want? Just like that?

Whaaaaaaaa??
Same. XD I'm pretty sure I didn't need glasses until around 4th grade or so, but, still, that was so long ago that I don't even remember what it was like to not have a vision problem. @_@

Reactions: Minibit

Whaaaaaaaa??
Yea, pretty much.

If it helps though, remember we are working with sub-optimal and damaged eyes too.
Since you know, they evolved for working under water and then one fish got the bright idea of "HEY! LET'S MOVE TO LAND! OH GOD MY EYES!!!".

• Love
Reactions: Minibit
I kind of figured you don't actually grab it with the fingernail. But having your finger so close to your eye in general still holds the risk. :P

But basically what I'm getting is that I didn't practice enough at it, and/or my eye was way too twitchy?
Yeah, that, and you may not have had the right technique to begin with. o.o Did someone actually teach you how to use contacts (even if that "someone" was an online tutorial)? Or did you just wing it? If it's the latter, then that's also probably a big reason why you couldn't get it in... :/ You can't control your eye wanting to blink and squint, but you can, to some extent, control being able to hold it open.

And all of that, yes, takes practice.

Yea, pretty much.

If it helps though, remember we are working with sub-optimal and damaged eyes too.
Since you know, they evolved for working under water and then one fish got the bright idea of "HEY! LET'S MOVE TO LAND! OH GOD MY EYES!!!".
????? So?? That's not the same??? Your vision is still clear??? You do not wake up to blurry-ville?????

Like I get that eyes are evolutionarily flawed. But Mini's point was that you can just wake up and still be able to clearly see the other side of the room -- which, for those of us who have had glasses for most of our lives, that's kind of hard to imagine. So don't be all "everyone's eyes are flawed!1" when you know it's not nearly the same thing. XD

Whaaaaaaaa??
To be honest? Dunno how it is with other people, but I wake up and my vision is a bit blurry and it's hard to remember what I had been looking at just 10 seconds ago.

It takes my brain a few minutes (or a sudden adrenaline shot) to wake up and seemingly use my eyes properly.

I wear glasses. When I was little I was very jealous of my brother for having glasses when I didn't, but ended up needing some by the time I was 13 or so. lol.

Yeah, that, and you may not have had the right technique to begin with. o.o Did someone actually teach you how to use contacts (even if that "someone" was an online tutorial)? Or did you just wing it? If it's the latter, then that's also probably a big reason why you couldn't get it in... :/ You can't control your eye wanting to blink and squint, but you can, to some extent, control being able to hold it open.

And all of that, yes, takes practice.
I bought them at the Convention itself and the guy selling them gave me a demonstration of how I was supposed to do it.

Not smart... But teenage me wasn't thinking about being smart, he was thinking about having red eyes.
????? So?? That's not the same??? Your vision is still clear??? You do not wake up to blurry-ville?????

Like I get that eyes are evolutionarily flawed. But Mini's point was that you can just wake up and still be able to clearly see the other side of the room -- which, for those of us who have had glasses for most of our lives, that's kind of hard to imagine. So don't be all "everyone's eyes are flawed!1" when you know it's not nearly the same thing. XD
Psst!

I was making a Science Joke! That's all! :P

I bought them at the Convention itself and the guy selling them gave me a demonstration of how I was supposed to do it.

Not smart... But teenage me wasn't thinking about being smart, he was thinking about having red eyes.
O_O Yeah no nooooot smart... I highly doubt you were given a thorough enough explanation of not just how to put them in, but also how to clean and care for your contacts. Like... not taking proper care of your contacts can lead to some serious eye infections, some of which I'm pretty sure can potentially blind you if they get bad enough.

You're probably not at nearly as much risk if you're just wearing them once and not regularly, but... even for only occasional use, I wouldn't take that kind of risk when it comes to your eyes, man. o_o

Teenage you may have wanted red eyes... but probably not the kind of red eyes that you could've had if things went badly for you...

Like... please tell me you didn't try wetting/cleaning them with tap water...

O_O Yeah no nooooot smart... I highly doubt you were given a thorough enough explanation of not just how to put them in, but also how to clean and care for your contacts. Like... not taking proper care of your contacts can lead to some serious eye infections, some of which I'm pretty sure can potentially blind you if they get bad enough.

You're probably not at nearly as much risk if you're just wearing them once and not regularly, but... even for only occasional use, I wouldn't take that kind of risk when it comes to your eyes, man. o_o

Teenage you may have wanted red eyes... but probably not the kind of red eyes that you could've had if things went badly for you...

Like... please tell me you didn't try wetting/cleaning them with tap water...
He explained the stuff like how even getting a contact in the wrong eye can cause issues, gave me special cleaning chemicals with the contacts, special casings etc.

So, it wasn't like I just got a completely half-assed explanation... But it wasn't from a Doctor either.

He explained the stuff like how even getting a contact in the wrong eye can cause issues, gave me special cleaning chemicals with the contacts, special casings etc.

So, it wasn't like I just got a completely half-assed explanation... But it wasn't from a Doctor either.
:/ Yeah... I still definitely wouldn't have tried to put contacts in for the first time in some public bathroom during a convention, as you had implied. >_> When it comes to sticking things in your eyes, you should probably really make sure you know what you'e doing first...

:/ Yeah... I still definitely wouldn't have tried to put contacts in for the first time in some public bathroom during a convention, as you had implied. >_> When it comes to sticking things in your eyes, you should probably really make sure you know what you'e doing first...
But I need my Red Eyes! ;A;
Curse you and your healthy sight saving logic...

But I need my Red Eyes! ;A;
Curse you and your healthy sight saving logic...
YOU'LL GET RED EYES ALRIGHT.

IT JUST WON'T BE THE FUN KIND OF RED EYES. @_@

Also, funny story related to contacts and cosplay...

Last summer I did a cosplay that called for glasses, which, as mentioned, meant that I was wearing non-prescription glasses (for the cosplay), and had contacts in (so that I wasn't blind).

There were quite a few instances in the day where I tried to look at something close-up -- something that I normally wouldn't be looking through my glasses for -- and so, without even thinking about it, I took my glasses off to try to get a better look at the thing -- which then made me feel pretty stupid when I realized why that wasn't helping any. XD

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Gwazi Magnum

Whaaaaaaaa??
In the same way, it's kind of hard for me to imagine not being able to see things clearly. For example yesterday, my Mister didn't have his glasses as they were getting made... the poor guy was squinting the whole day, apparently we were all blurs and blobs to him. He couldn't even understand half the things I said. I was extremely happy when he finally got his glasses.

I've worn glasses since I was ten. there was a small period of time where I had constants because of the sport I was in. However, once I quit I stopped getting contacts because they are expensive.

In the same way, it's kind of hard for me to imagine not being able to see things clearly. For example yesterday, my Mister didn't have his glasses as they were getting made... the poor guy was squinting the whole day, apparently we were all blurs and blobs to him. He couldn't even understand half the things I said. I was extremely happy when he finally got his glasses.
It's terrible to not have your glasses when your vision is bad. I can't see my hand at arm's length, in fact if I see someone without glasses, it's entirely possible I wouldn't recognize them if I saw them again with my glasses on.
When I'm without my glasses, it strains my eyes so much to make sense of everything more than about half a meter away, that I've got a headache inside twenty minutes. Not to mention that - obviously - it's extremely frustrating.

It's terrible to not have your glasses when your vision is bad. I can't see my hand at arm's length, in fact if I see someone without glasses, it's entirely possible I wouldn't recognize them if I saw them again with my glasses on.
When I'm without my glasses, it strains my eyes so much to make sense of everything more than about half a meter away, that I've got a headache inside twenty minutes. Not to mention that - obviously - it's extremely frustrating.
Same. Yeah, there's no way I'd recognize anyone at a distance without my glasses. I don't even try to go anywhere without my glasses, because, I just... can't see anything. @_@

Also, I took a shower while wearing contacts a couple weeks ago and it was so fucking trippy. Like... I was in the shower... and I could actually see shit. I could see my feet and my shampoo bottles and my towel and I could clearly see every stream of water going down the drain... crazy.

I was just not at all used to being able to see clearly while showering. @_@

Literally no votes for contacts but my own.

Had to begin wearing glasses around 5th grade. Didn't care. Liked being able to see. Near sighted, but able to function without details when not wearing.

Got contacts for high school. Never looking back. Ever.

And I still can't stand it if there's a single smudge or scratch on any sort of reflective or transparent surface.

They're just superior in the modern era right behind corrective surgery.

Last edited by a moderator:
Same. Yeah, there's no way I'd recognize anyone at a distance without my glasses. I don't even try to go anywhere without my glasses, because, I just... can't see anything. @_@

Also, I took a shower while wearing contacts a couple weeks ago and it was so fucking trippy. Like... I was in the shower... and I could actually see shit. I could see my feet and my shampoo bottles and my towel and I could clearly see every stream of water going down the drain... crazy.

I was just not at all used to being able to see clearly while showering. @_@
Woah, that sounds amazing dude

Like being able to see clearly and swim at the same time :o

Status
Not open for further replies.