Giant amongst men.

• Thread starter The Fox and The Spider
  • Start date
T

The Fox and The Spider

Original poster

dzuzkg11_OrtonStyle_1-1.jpg

Part 1 "Giant in a small man's world."

"I remember the days of my youth, a time in which I was bred into a world of tradition. Tradition, something as intangible as it was defined, an abstract concept that much like religion, dictated the moral compass of all life. And much like religion, it served as a double edged sword, capable of cutting both ways. In some regards it can preserve a group of people during trying times, yet this very same tradition can grow, take a life of its own and become a form of Dogma.

<o:p></o:p>

Hampering one's own existence as it once strengthens it. Before my days walking amongst the world of the other races, a time in which I spent as one of the giant folk, I remember well our xenophobic and warring system of government. This type of rule served us well, during a time in which the land proved hostile, resources limited. An era of invasion from an unknown enemy; who wanted nothing more than our eradication, for the sole purpose of claiming this land as their own.

But such times have long since pass, yet still we clung to this approach, refusing trade or have any dealing with the new inhabitants of the valley. Instead of conforming, we sought to raid and wage war. Believing the old ways to be the only approach for survival, yet my time away from my tribe, my time spent amongst those we viewed as weak proved to me otherwise.

It is this old mentality that forever has painted an ill picture of my kind, casting us into war time and time again, birthing tragedies on both sides. Forever impeding the views other held toward me and robbing me of much, including something as simple yet necessary as friendship. In time perhaps my character can shine through, but I can't fault the others for how they see me. If the shoe were on the other foot, would I behave so differently? This much I am left to wonder…

If I could, if it were even possible, I would return to my tribe and home. Bringing with me a fresh outlook that may save my dying and dwindling people; however my lot is a proud one, far too stubborn in their ways to listen to one half born, such as I.

The only thing I can do is survive, try to find acceptance in a world that already has labeled me. A task that seems more and more impossible, with each passing day. Still my principles have led me this far, I will not fail them as they surely haven't failed me. Maybe one day, in the not so distant future, I can find the one thing I desire most in this world. Acceptance, acceptance that defies the traditions of others, and penetrates the presumptions of others.

Many years have passed since I first set off to find a home of my own, one designed just as much for me, as I for it. My travels through the harsh land brought me to small town resting comfortably along a lake by the neck of our world. A set of mountain ranges that mark the farthest northern civilizations. It is a land of outcast and vigilantes alike, a society built around one thing, personal gain and the delusion of order.

Here there was a place for one of my kind, a half giant, though it came in the most unusual of forms. Long ago I stumbled across a dwarf, a stubborn and prideful man despite his height, who reminded me more of an open minded giant than anything else. Whilst most looked at me as a beast, he saw me for what I was, a being defined not by appearance, rather by the contents of my character. And offered myself a place within society and work, for years I toiled away within the cramp spaces of his shop, slamming hammer against heated steel.

Taking what was once formless, and giving it purpose and design. I became a blacksmith, the art providing a much needed distraction from my woeful past and the bigotry rendered unto me by some of the locals. In time, through hard work and dedication I was able to ward off original conceptions, yet still I wasn't accepted, perhaps tolerated at best.

These years proved the simplest and best of my life thus far, days I would never give up no matter how tempting the offer."

Present day...

The hours had crept by, as Regnier (Name given to him by thue dwarf, since he seldom hands out his giant name) the half giant toiled away within the forge. A room composed of fine stone, and various fine instruments. Within this dimly lit room, the orange glow of a roaring furnace provided much needed light. The apprentice wore nothing save for some sack cloth trousers and a leather apron, the proved far too small for his stature and build.

His chiseled chest and arms were what you expected from one of his heritage, yet his endurance and grace defied the norms and expectations of those around him. His lung and heart pushed to their limits as he worked countless hours for a meager salary. His long brown hair dangled in front of his somewhat fair face for a half breed. Sweat ran down his face and dripped downward toward the glowing blade, releasing a hissing sound that was like music to Regnier's ears.

His muscles seemed to move with power and grace whenever the hammer clashed with the metal, sending spark flying every which direction. The grooves of his muscles seemed more pronounce as the black dirt of his trade stained his skin. Like that of a beast of burden, these sleek yet chiseled muscles moved with awe inspiring efficiency.

Though this seemed a simple life, one filled with tedious task and poverty beyond belief. Regnier seemed happy as a faint smile crept on the contorting arches of his lips. His Asian eyes narrowing as he paused to admire the aesthetic nature of his work, the fine and subtle details that eluded most. Feeling satisfied the man casted the long sword into a pool of water, though in his hands it appeared more like a short blade than anything else.

Removing his undersized apron, Regnier did cast it off to the side so that it hung over the anvil. Suddenly a voice reverberated from off the stone walls, a familiar one of his dear friend and mentor Bel'greush.
"Ye done yet boy?" Turning to face the 3 foot tall dwarf, the seven foot and some odd inch giant casted him a wide grin, taking amusement in the fact that he addressed one such as himself as "boy."

"Yes sir." He replied, his response causing the Dwarf to chuckle, finding his words to be quaint if nothing else. "Then I'll see you tomorrow. .." His words caught Regnier off guard, rarely did he get off early, and when he did never did the Dwarf spoke with such sincerity. "Go out an'enjoy the sights. I t'ink it is about time you met your neighbors." His words caused a frown to reside on the giants face.

For years he lived within this town, yet rarely did he venture outside of these walls, afraid of the reaction he might receive from the locals. Yet here the dwarf stood, certain it was time for him to introduce himself to the world. A bold notion as any…

"It will be all right, t'ough many have not accepted you, t'ey don't inherently hate you either. If you wish to become part of the community and not just tolerated, you need to step outside of t'ese doors sometime." Regnier could do little to deny the truth within the Dwarf's logic, yet still he seemed hesitant to reply. For many years he had spent his time wandering from town to town, only to be chased out by an angry mob. Would this place be any different? He mused to himself…

He could make out the angry features now resting on the dwarves face, so less he cause offense to his general host, he'd find himself being force to oblige this unusual request. Due to his abnormal height the half giant didn't have any clothes outside of a few ragged sack cloth pants and his leather apron. Obviously Giants were a rare breed, and never did they trade with merchants. And so he was forced to step out into the sun looking as if he had just crawled out of some sort of cave…which was partly true.

Slowly the giant closed the door behind him as the sun strained his eyes, it's warmth beating against his fair skin as he walked barefoot down the streets. This place was a haven for all manner of races, but none of which could stand equally next to him. He could sense the confused gazes of those he passed by, over towering them as if he were some sort of behemoth. The idle whispers of a few did little to ease the half giant; still it was better than pitch fork and fire.

Regnier made his way toward the towns square, staring up at a magnificent stature in the center of a brilliant fountain the glisten as the runs rays reflected off of the various coins tossed inside of it. This statue was the only thing that stood taller than him, albeit a few inches, it still brought him some measure of comfort. Frozen with admiration, the giant remained as he admired the detail and skill of the artist.

Lilian had lived in this town for ages. She was an elf, and had already lived nearly two hundred years. Despite living in this town of mixed races and outcasts for a long time, she had never seen anything like that. First she couldn't believe her eyes, as she saw a gigantic figure near the fountain. ´Almost as tall as that fountain! ´ was the only thought that came to her mind. ´Is he.... a giant? No wait, I heard some rumors of a half giant in this town, maybe that's the one?´ The giant supposedly worked as a smith for that dwarf, ´what was his name again?´ Lilian had bought her sword from that dwarf, so maybe that giant was the one who made it. That dwarf was the only merchant in this town that wouldn't give her a discount for her looks, but his shop was one of the best. Lilians raven black hair and sky blue eyes could usually charm any man of any race, but the dwarf was an abnormity. Maybe if she dazzled the `little helper`, she could get a dicount from him too. And a friend like that would be useful for a mercenary and asassin such as herself. He looked fairly strong, and having a smith as a friend could never be a bad thought. She unsheathed the beautiful long sword on her waist a little bit. The edge was sharp, and the blade was sturdy and reliable, she had already tested it in many situations. She glanced the half giant.

Sword back in its sheath Lilian approached the supposed half giant a bit. Her hand rested on the hilt of a jewelled dagger hanging from her belt on the opposite side than the sword. Just in case, as they say. It was bought from the dwarf too, and it was as well made as the sword. They had both costed a fairly large amount of money. Well that was about to change, she grinned coldly. She adjusted the bodice of her light blue dress a bit. The giant was so tall, that now he could see inside of the bodice. She arranged her dark lond hair so there wasn't a direct view. Lilian had lots of faith in her body, large breasts and thin waist, not to mention wide hips. It had never failed her before, all men except those who had heard of her before and knew her, dropped their guard in front of her. ´Giants are supposed to be slow and dull, so charming him should be easy.´ "Hey, you! Are you the half giant working as a smith in this town? I haven't seen you aruond here before, you propably don't go out very often do you? Is that dwarf over working you?" She had changed her voice to be friendly, and tried to speak as warmly and friendly as she could. She switched her weight from one leg to another, making the form-fitting dress tighter around the waist. She had time for a little chit-chat, the next time she would need a new sword was long tme ahead. It was just easier to take her time, and make sure he wouldn't suspect a thing. On the other hand, she had been asked to asassinate one of the nobels in the south, and fullfilling that mission could cost her the dagger. The payment was large as well, but she was still considering. She was famous in the underworld, and had enough of money for the rest of her life, if she lived economically. Maybe she should decline, and stay here for a litle longer to ensure the next dagger would be cheaper.

Regnier had learned to respect his place in this world, preferring the pale light of solitude, over the consequences often born through association. Though like all sentient creatures he often found himse3lf struggling with the duality of his simple existence, often pondering how the world would have been different, if events had played out through an opposing route. But long before his mind wandered deeply into such dangerous thoughts, the call of a woman echoed in his mind., Sluggishly the huge man turned to face the female elf.

<o:p> </o:p>

The first thing he noted like all men, was her picturesque face, dazzling pools and feminine figure. How her choice of attire clung to her body as if it were made for her, as if it were nothing more than another layer of skin.

However unlike most men he didn't drop his guard, for he once met a female Drow. Who had the prowess of any man, and demanded respect by those she viewed as lesser. So the concept of a female counter part being in a position of power or influence seldom shook his world. Through long brown strands of hair, his eyes carefully observed her.

Truthfully he found her approach to be odd, out of place compared to the rest of the locals. Still the notion of exchanging a few words with her did wonders for his socially depraved soul. Nevertheless he found something suspect about her, for she was far too ravishing to waste her time on him. A half giant who didn't even have clothes for his back, a man whose trade was hardly worth recognition…

A smile crept on his strikingly soft face as she mentioned the dwarf, who had become sort of a father figure for him. In truth her words were accurate; he had been working him tirelessly, either in the sparring room or in the forge. Either way he found both exercises to be enlightening for both his flesh and spirit. With chiseled bare chest puffed out, grooves still defined by the dirt associated with his trade, he fully pivoted to face her. As was the case with all giants, even a half giant, his physical stature and prowess were beyond compare.

"Aye, that I am." He paused, musing over the wisdom the dwarf had shown in letting him out of the shop for once. "Indeed he is, but he means well and the work is good." His words were followed by a firm nod. Undoubtedly the fluid nature in which his words were poised would strike this elven female as strange and in contrast compared with what most would expect. "My name is Regnier…" He cringed as his name parted from his lips. Regnier wasn't his birth name; however he had given up that identity long ago. So he supposed the name bestowed on him by the dwarf would suffice for now.

He often found it strange how the other races introduced themselves with just a name. Something empty without valiant deeds to be weighed beside it. It was at this time that he noticed the posture of one who danced with the ravens. A term of his tribe meant to describe one who was fluid and experienced with battle. Though clearly she was one who preferred the shadows, for her physique, and lack of scars stood in contrast to that of a war veteran.

<o:p>
</o:p>
For a half Giant Regnier was intelligent and could perceive much with little, this trait that damned him from his home, had been his star during the swarthy trial of the wilderness. "You are an elf no?" He had heard stories of their beauty, their elegance and aged deterring face. But aside from a few bloodied and roughed up carcasses, he had yet to see one up close.

Lilian noticed the half giants reaction was a bit different than the rest of the man. Yes, he certainly looked at her body but he didn't relax his. And his eyes were more intelligent than she had thought they would be. She noticed she was growing nervous. `What an odd feeling.` He even spoke more fluently she would have ever guessed. She frowned. Regnier didn't sound like a giant's name. Well, not that she had ever known a giant, not to mention talking to one. But she had met dozens of dwarf's, and Regnier sounded more like a dwarven name. "At least tell me he's paying you enough. Was that name given to you by that dwarf? I've known some dwarf's that were called that. My name is Lilian, nice to meet you." Quite lot of people were paying attention to their conversation. Even in here, seeing an elf talking to a half giant was a rare sight. Lilian smiled at her interlocutor."Yes I'm an elf. There are even some rumors of one of my ancestors being a drow. They say one of them got raped by a drow, and the result was my grandmother being born. It's weird both her mother and her survived, without drows or somebody else killing either of them." she shrugged. It was just an old story, interesting fact that might keep the conversation going and wake up his interest. That meant if he had ever heard of drows before. But even a giant would have heard of drows, no matter how stupid he was. Everyone had heard of drows.

Lilian looked the giant up and down. "That dwarf didn't bother in finding you better clothes? He could have at least make sure those...pants were clean. When was the last time you had a bath?" She couldn't help a shiver of disgust looking at those rags. She started feel a sort of motherly instinct just looking at him. Not to mention what being seen with anyone dressed like that would do to her reputation. "You can't keep walking around like that." she said while shaking her head. "There's got to be some shop in this town that has clothes big enough for you. I'll help you look" She quickly turned around and started walking away without making sure Regnier followed. He would follow, if he was anything like the other man.

Even now, the half giant could feel this strange woman sizing him up, those ever curious eyes scanning his physic and perhaps character. As a being of principle he often took greater pride in the state of his soul, as oppose to his physical appearance. And being locked away for so long Regnier seldom felt the need to vainly pretty himself up. Regnier's eyes did narrow, his ears twitch as her melodious words were strung together with a sense of wile, reminiscent of a fine tapestry beyond reproach.

Being one of his birth, he had scared away many fair maidens, this was the first time one talked to him without an angry mob wielding pitchfork and fire behind her back. A memory that surely evoked a chill down his spine, causing Goosebumps to form on his dirt ridden skin, and a subtle yet note worthy shiver.

So it was as he expected, she was an elf, and unlike many tales, their beauty had not been exaggerated. With a genuine sense of interest he clung to her every word, savoring it like one would a meal after a great famine. His soul digested and relished her company, feeling a hole within slowly becoming filled with life. Her ever observant nature proved of concern, she had deduced much in such little time. If he were a younger man he might accused her of weaving some ill spell that invaded his thoughts, but the stain and radiant warmth of the arcane arts did not flow through her. Instantly dispelling such notions…

As she mentioned his name, Regnier's face once more did cringe, as if one poured alcohol on an open and fresh wound. "The name is now my own, bestowed on me by my gracious host." He paused, reflecting over his words. That seemed drenched with a sense of respect and sincerity toward the old dwarf. "He pays me well enough, and has taught me much about this world." Truthfully he found the latter of the two statements more valuable.

In Regnier's eyes his appearance was hardly revolting, but he could tell by her words and expression that such appearances would not suffice. He had forgotten how unlike his people, the other races put much stock on aesthetic impressions. Quickly he averted his gaze, casting those jaded irises of his earthbound. Not daring to lock eyes with her, an act of embarrassment that would strike her as odd considering his monolithic stature and height.

"It is not easy finding clothes for one of my height, when all other males are three feet or so smaller than I." He replied, certain she couldn't refute the soundness of his logic. Still it had become abundantly clear that such pleas did fall on deafen ears. Sighing heavily Regnier found himself obligated to follow, for her gesture seemed sincere enough. And the last thing he desired to do was offend the first person to approach him.

"I have some coin and by the way…" A wide grin crept on his defined features. "I showered this morning; I just got finished with today's shift. Such dirt is the mark of my trade regrettably." He elaborated, doubting very much his reply would sit well with her.

What a spectacle they must have appeared, a beautiful elven girl willingly sharing company with a brute such as himself. Even now he could hear the idle gossiping and whispers of those around, the wandering a prying eyes of those too curious. This only confirmed his suspicion that this ravishing maiden's actions were in defiance with the norm. Why was she helping him, he pondered to himself? Surely she must have a reason other than pity?

For the moment he decided to follow her, one of his strides equaling two of her own. Keeping an ever vigilant eye on her, praying for some sort of clarification

Lilian walked down the street looking for a clothing store. "If ýou worked after the shower, it has no effect. It should be the other way around." she notifyed over her shoulder without turning around. Only places selling food, some random supplies, a shoemaker... `Could be useful. But clothes first.` The giant followed, which meaned he had fallen for her, at least partly. But he was also a bit suspicious. He was obviously more intelligent than she had realized. And he seroulsly liked that dwarf. Making him a useful ally could become a little difficult. If Regnier talked too much about her with that dwarf, it could prove dangerous. The dwarf was well familiar with her reputation ond occupation, and didn't think very highly of her. Lilian only now started thinking of Regniers words more deeply. `So it really was a name given by that dwarf. And if he has money, I don't have to invest my money on his clothes.` She could tell the half giant was following her from the murmuring of the crowd. Maybe she should have waited until everyone got used to him before talking to him. But she had waited, he could had found other friends, and he would have been more suspicious if she had suddently talked to him after just passing by him for a couple of days. On the other hand he was quite doubtful now too. He was obviously wondering the reason she had talked to him in the first place. `Well, let him wonder.` Lilian secretly glanced at Reigner. He had goog physics, his musceles were well formed, propably because of his work. Wearing only trousers showed the muscular arms and upperbody. Covered it sweat and dirt. Next stop after finding clothes would be shower. Before putting on those new clothes. `How can he just walk around like that feeling comfortable?` she shivered. Despite being a half giant she could tell from the way that he walked, that he was also agile. "Has the dwarf trained you in sword fighting? The way you move suggests that he did." Lilian asked distractibly. She had stopped really paying attention to what stores they passed but just then she noticed a tailors shop "There! It should have something in there that will fit you, at least maybe if it's fixed a little." not really paying attention to his answer. She could easily bring it back to her mind later.The shop looked kind of small, but outsides could be decieving. It was neat, and looked well-cared for, so whoever owned it propably cared about it. All of the clothes on the window looked quite ordinary, Bu whoever made them, was pretty crafty. And it was not like they were looking for fancy clothes after all. `Clean trousers and a suitable shirt or two. Some underwear? Let's hope he has some. Those trousers on him will pass until he has showered`she listed in her mind as she went in.

As they made their way down the marketplace, Regnier kept a vigil eye and open ear toward his surroundings. He had learned early on in life that complacency can kill, but so could paranoia. And so he had to find the perfect equilibrium between the two. The idle gossiping of the locals had faded from his mind, as he dwelt inward on recent events. Trying to build logic in a set of events that seemed chaotic, from the Dwarf to this stranger, quickly he noted the folly in such actions.As quickly as they had formed, they dissipated, as the voice of the beautiful woman pulled him from his deep thoughts. A grin now adorned his visage as he noted her ignorance of the Dwarf, he was a man who preferred something more direct, like an axe or hammer. As oppose to the cunning and grace of the swing of a blade. Still she was partly correct, the dwarf had trained him, though his prowess came from his blood and tribe. The dwarven smith only taught him patience and how to fine tune his skills, the former of which proved the most invaluable of the two lessons."He has taught me the way of combat, and much more…" He paused, his eyes making their way from her form toward the tailor's window. Regnier couldn't help but puff out his chest, feeling a sense of inferiority noting how unique and out of place he was. But his pride wouldn't let such dark perceptions too linger. "It would be a feat to make something for one such as I." He retorted not doubting the soundness in her logic, rather the disbelief that any human would dare get close to him. After all so far they kept their distance from him, out of some primal fear and misconception.Tightly Regnier flexed his muscles, their steel cording pulling tightly as he ducked and made his way through the tiny door, barely fitting within its mouth. "May I ask you something, never before has one so fair to behold offered me company, let alone guidance in customs…" he paused for a moment to ponder how to best continue this line of questioning."Why is it you help me? Truly I am grateful, but surely there must be a reason." Regnier had spent years on the run, living a solitary existence. He had learned to trust his might and cunning nature, over the stretched out arms of others. Like all being, Regnier longed for acceptance, but understood how one's wishes could be used against them.Standing within the shop he found himself in awe of all the fine clothing on display, none of which could suit one of his stature. A frown lingered on his face as he rang the bell. "I have been bred for combat, as a young lad like all giants, I beat one equal to my age to death as a rite to manhood. But it wasn't till I met the dwarf that I had a principle to guide my strikes." He concluded, looking downward.

Lilians eyes expanded. It was even better than she had imaginated. `Trained for combat, and combat only! Lovely.` But purportedly he didn't like it. And he wanted to know directly the reason she befriended him. And it didn't look like she could direct the conversation to other trails and make him forget the topic. He looked a bit like a gigantic puppy beeging for a cookie from it's master. `Damn it! He'll presumably notice if Ilie too evidently. A part of the truth prehaps?`"You look strong. And if you want to survive in a town like this, you need to have strong friends. You'll never know when having a half giant -that works for one of the most reputable blacksmith in this hole region- as a friend will be beneficial." She didn't mention that she was one of reasons the poeple in this town needed well trained company when walking in dark alleys at night. But there were always travellers and thieves, who reconed a slim and seemingly wealthy elf woman for an easy pray. Washing the clothes afterward was vexatious. "And trust me, I've witnessed far more grim deaths in this town you could ever imagine." `And the fact I was the one in charge of those deaths has nothing to do with this.`

After clearing his query for now Lilian applyed herself to finding some clothes for Regnier. She fiddeled some of the clothes on displey. The material was fairly rough. All of the better ones were almost always at the back of the shop. The sales clerk finally arrived. He leered at the half giant, but seemingly a customer is a customer. "Can I help you?" he ainguired, hoping they both would just leave him an his shop alone. "Yes, we need clothes for him." Se nodded in the direction of Regnier. Lilian couldn't care any less about the seller or his feelings. She wrinkeled her nose. If the sweaty half giant had stinked outside, in a little shop the stench was sickening. And the sales clerk was also starting to perspire as well. `Just wonderful`He apparently had some trubles breathing."Yes, madam." he panted "We currently don't have enything fitting his size, so I'm sorry but...." "What kind of a tailor are you? If you don't have anything now, you can always make something, can't you?" Lilian snapped. `Argh, this is way I dislike this town.` In any other town, that tailor would had already exhibited his cloths and asserted that he was the best tailor in the hole city. And of course, insisted a douple payment for `extra material`. But he solely stood there, doing nothing. "Well, aren't you doing anything?" she asked sinisterly. That smell was really geting on her nerves. Even the usual chatter from the outside seemed to be getting louder.

The elven woman's lie fooled the half giant, for they rang with a sense of unbridled sincerity. Being somewhat of an outcast he had little knowledge regarding the true extent of her claims, but failed to doubt them. Being as tall as he was, most ruffians would find themselves unwillingly to assault him. His sheer mass served as a buffer against needless conflict, as much as it had for beneficial communication. Slowly Regnier nodded, displaying his more gullible nature. Despite his strength and size the giant was a teddy bear compared to most, though when he fought, his fist often struck with an unparallel sense of tenacity."I see, if you desire protection than I suppose my fist can become your own. I will be more than willing to assist you in forging a blade." He boldly proclaim, his chiseled exposed chest sticking out with a sense of purpose and pride. Something about the notion seemed noble, even if this woman proved to be anything but. Regnier watched as the tailor stepped out from the back, his eyes casting the half giant a weary gaze. The look in his eyes was of disgust, which were in complete contrast with the false sense of social etiquette he put on display. It came as no shock when he mentioned his lack of appropriate attire for one so out of place. But what did come across as a surprise was the adamant, firm scorn of a woman. Those deep emerald irises of his locked on her as she protested, finding a wild strength in her that would put any giant to shame. Though he would not admit it, he respected her greatly for her direct approach. "I can wait, I am not going anywhere. I have lived within your town for almost a year now. And not once have I ever caused incident. There is no need to fear me, nor is there need to discriminate. You have my word that I will pay the steep price, for it is of small consequence for the services you provide the fair folk of this town." Regnier purred, his words posed with such grace. Offering the man a small bow, now standing at equal height with the fellow. Quickly he rose standing upright, looking over at the elven woman offering her a smile. Ignorant of how much his appearance sickened her. But he could sense something was amiss. "Is all well?" He asked, knowing that he was not a desirable man in his current state.

The elven woman's lie fooled the half giant, for they rang with a sense of unbridled sincerity. Being somewhat of an outcast he had little knowledge regarding the true extent of her claims, but failed to doubt them. Being as tall as he was, most ruffians would find themselves unwillingly to assault him. His sheer mass served as a buffer against needless conflict, as much as it had for beneficial communication. Slowly Regnier nodded, displaying his more gullible nature. Despite his strength and size the giant was a teddy bear compared to most, though when he fought, his fist often struck with an unparallel sense of tenacity."I see, if you desire protection than I suppose my fist can become your own. I will be more than willing to assist you in forging a blade." He boldly proclaim, his chiseled exposed chest sticking out with a sense of purpose and pride. Something about the notion seemed noble, even if this woman proved to be anything but. Regnier watched as the tailor stepped out from the back, his eyes casting the half giant a weary gaze. The look in his eyes was of disgust, which were in complete contrast with the false sense of social etiquette he put on display. It came as no shock when he mentioned his lack of appropriate attire for one so out of place. But what did come across as a surprise was the adamant, firm scorn of a woman. Those deep emerald irises of his locked on her as she protested, finding a wild strength in her that would put any giant to shame. Though he would not admit it, he respected her greatly for her direct approach. "I can wait, I am not going anywhere. I have lived within your town for almost a year now. And not once have I ever caused incident. There is no need to fear me, nor is there need to discriminate. You have my word that I will pay the steep price, for it is of small consequence for the services you provide the fair folk of this town." Regnier purred, his words posed with such grace. Offering the man a small bow, now standing at equal height with the fellow. Quickly he rose standing upright, looking over at the elven woman offering her a smile. Ignorant of how much his appearance sickened her. But he could sense something was amiss. "Is all well?" He asked, knowing that he was not a desirable man in his current state.

The lie had passed straight throuhg. The fact he was still inside that with her proved it. And he agreed so easily. Perfect. Lilian shaked her head and smiled a little to her self. The tailor still looked like he didn't want to have anything to do with them, but at least he agreed take Regnier's measurments. "Nice speech. He's a lot more cooperative now. You sure have gift of speeking in spite of your heritage." she grinned to the half giant. She ought to find a way make that into her advantage as well. As Regnier moved a bit, the sweaty stench hit her face like a fist. "I'm fine, just a bit of a headache. Just a bit of fresh air and I'll be fine. I'll go wait outside." smiling a little wanly she teetered out of the store. Right outside the shop Lilian sighed and leaned on the wall. Getting out of that stench instantly made her feel better. `A shower is next on the list. Wonder what's wrong with me? I'm usually not so sensitive to scents.` She looked up to the sky with her eyes half closed and let her mind wander. She frowned a little, it was unusual for her to not be aware of the enviroment. `Maybe I need a cold shower too`

Somehow she managed to focus o the street and people walking by her. Automaticly registering and categorizing all of those peolpe got easier every secong. A woman with a small child shopping, `not dangerous, could be useful if need a place to hide for a while.` An arrogant, wealthy looking young man with his friends, propably the only heir of a rich noble, `a possible customer, easy to manipulate`. It got easier and easier. New ruffian like man, big and brawny looking chap. He noticed the elf and smirked. As he stepped a bit closer, a cold smile appeared on Lilians face as she casually moved her hand to the hilt of her long sword. He'd learn soon. Though he was seemingly quite smart. He backed away a bit staring into her eyes. They promised him a slow and painful death if he even looked at her direction anymore. And they made clear that she would only enjoy doing it, daring him to step closer. He quikly averted her gaze and left, prehaps to a tavern to find more suitable company. Shame, it had been a while since the last time she a real fight with someone. Maybe she should ask for a practise combat with the half giant? `No, I'm supposed to be a weakling, remember? And I get too easily swept away in battles, even when I know it's real. I just hate losing.` Giving up the idea she let her head bend backward and her eyes close. The cool wind felt lovely, and even though the town smelt quite bad as well, it was nothing compared to the stecnh inside. Just the thought of it made her wrinkle her nose.

Her compliment struck a chord with the half giant, it seemed the unlike most, this woman was able to see past his people, focusing instead on the character the defined his soul. Still something about her didn't sit well with him, her stride, her demeanor though a well put together façade. Didn't match up with that of a helpless damsel, or that of a noble daughter. He could tell that she was well off, at least compared to the average folk, yet her stride was that of proficiency. Her hips, legs, and muscles as a whole worked in perfect unison, as if they were trained to work as one. This was not the walk of a lady; it was the walk of a fighter, perhaps even a callous killer. But before he could continue down this troublesome line of self questioning, the human tailor had begun his measurements. Something about having the man this close to his body made him feel vulnerable, though he could tell that the human was no more comfortable with the notion than himself."You're a big fellow aren't you?' The man half heartedly jested, hoping to shatter the feeling of uneasiness between them. Perhaps an olive branch of peace? "So they say, I still have some growing to do…" Regnier replied, more so referring toward the development of his being, as oppose to that of his stature or flesh. But as quickly as the man spoke, he had become stricken with silence. Undoubtedly losing interest in continuing the farce of intrigue, instead wishing to finish the appointed task as quickly as possible. As the man went to work, Regnier's eyes drifted toward the mouth of the shop. His mind once more drifting toward that of the elf. The bell of the shop rang, as three men entered the shop, looking up at the half giant. "I see…the rumors are true boys!" The leader of the strangers proclaimed, as each of them brandished a crudely built club. Regnier could tell that trouble awaited him, but would not avert his eyes from it. "Imagine the fame we could gain if we killed this giant?" One of them mused aloud, the tailor had finished his measurements and sped off behind his counter, seeking refuge behind it. "We should also teach the owner why ne shouldn't do business with one of his birth while we're at it!"The half giant said nothing, he knew engaging them would be bad, but could he really just take a beating? "I will not harm you…" He replied, as the men naturally tensed due to his words, filling with disbelief. "Well…I wish we could say the same!' The leader felt confident that they could take Regnier, if they landed a few good hit son him first, surely the odds would fall in their favor! "Now!" The man bellowed, as all three males charged at Regnier with club in hand. Blankly Regnier stared off into the distance as swing, after swing connected against his muscles. The clubs bouncing off, yet despite leaving some bruises and a gash or two, the half giants face remained unchanged. Quickly the inexperienced men grew tired, but not before one leapt and hit Regnier in the head. Leaving a decent gash as blood dripped down his face. After a minute or two he looked down at them, as they panted for air. "Please stop…I don't want to hurt you." Regnier replied, his confidence and resolve shattered their confidence. As quickly as they appeared the men fled, screaming monster all the way.