Getting in Shape

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think it was the number that was the issue as much as the idea of pushing oneself way past their breaking point -- which is especially bad advice for someone recovering from an injury.
Once you reach your breaking point (Muscle failure?) there really is no continuing. When I said "collapse" I meant more along the lines of simply falling on your stomach, not passing out XP Once you fall on your stomach, it's more that your arms or stomach needs a break. So in the mean time, you do the less intense push ups on your knees. etc etc.

I didn't think that would need much explaining. When I was told to do intense work outs, I didn't even think about going all in at first. Some of them I was like "O.O That's impossible as I am now" but building my way to that point is what my focus is for the now. I assumed everyone would have shared that outlook DX

acting as if elementary school students should be expected to do that because, damn, what the fuck was up with your gym teacher?
Honestly, I didn't really like her DX But it was all I knew, so I assumed that's just how it was for everyone.

Soooooooooo
@Hunter of Shadows
A starting point that doesn't (Shouldn't) put any strain on your back is
For arms would be the air bench press (Standing up if you can) Primarily where you keep putting your arms up and down like you're lifting a bar (But not) How many? I'm not sure really. You'll start feeling your arms REALLY feeling the burn after a while, but if you keep going after that, you don't even feel the burn anymore. That's what I was forced to do, and at that point I felt like I coulda kept going till I was bored. So experiment a bit with that. Learn how it feels at the moment, afterwards, and the next day perhaps.

As for your core muscles. "Kinda sit ups" are sit ups where you just lift your head off the ground over and over (No need to move your back)
I feel it in my stomach, and maybe neck. I don't feel anything with my back when I do it so that should be good.

This is the Counseling section. We give advice, not debate, and we most-definitely do not mud-sling and fight amongst each other.

I'm leaving this open on the off chance we get more good, genuine health-care and workout advice. That said: Please, play nice.

@Hunter of Shadows Please take everything you've read here, and further explore it on your own. Google is your friend; find additional resources, and cross-reference anything and everything. If something sounds off to you, don't do it. If it hurts, don't do it. If you're uncomfortable with it, don't do it. Pain is gain, but there's a difference between working out and getting sore and strengthening your body, to just plain hurting yourself.

Knowledge is power, my friend.

I didn't say anything about 'I can't do it' Pharoah, I literally only said pushing yourself that hard is bad on the body

Bear in mind, anything I say here is from a decidedly amateur's position from what I've been researching, and from what makes logical sense to me

There's such a thing as over training, a lot of what I've been reading says exactly that, you don't do 50 sit ups or whatever in one go, you do them in sets, a number of repetitions, when you do a set, you rest briefly, then carry on.

What you're saying from what I understand from my research into being physically fit basically increases the risk of injury, you could hurt yourself doing that

If what you were suggesting was doing that, I apologize for my misunderstanding

That being said, I'm not here to debate it or pick a fight, I'm sure you know more then I do

Last edited:
@Hunter of Shadows
Well yes, but it takes quite a bit to truly injure yourself while excersising. 50 sit ups ain't gonna come close to that unless there's a different problem. (Also, I didn't say you said you can't do it, it was just an example on preferable mindset to get stronger DX it takes commintment. )

Regardless, I gave free easy back friendly methods (air bench presses and kinda sit ups. No strain on the back from what I can tell) and methods for when your back heals. If you don't want to use them, or a modified version of them, then very well, t'was just a few suggestions to get stronger without gyms ^^

I tend to agree vith Pharaoh on most points made here. Pushing to the limit is esential in a good workout. Only way to expand your limits is to push yorself until your body gives out, then take a break.

But I also agree that for the topic of this specific thread - geting back in shape after a back-injury - pushing to the limit is a bad idea, it wuld more then likely agravate the injury. Moderate workout is beter for recovery and rehabilitation purposes.

I want to work out as well, but the aftermath of it is going to be horrible. I haven't workout at all in three months.

I especially want to do Zumba, but I don't want to because of the aftermath of that. Oh Lord, imagine the pain my body will get :cryingeyesout:. ESPECIALLY MY LEGS.

An important aspect of health is your diet. Anyone who is trying to get into shape should evaluate their diet, but I think this would be an especially good place to start with your back injury. Evaluate your diet to make sure that you're getting the most vitamins, nutrients, and other essentials for the least amount of calories. Your calorie intake should vary depending on the amount and intensity of exercise that you do. Try to get away from plain grains like white rice, potatoes, white bread in favor of more healthy alternatives, brown rice, yams, and whole wheat bread. I was pesco-vegetarian for about 8 months and--this might have been placebo effect--I felt like I had more energy. I also tended weigh about 10 lbs. less than the times I ate meat other than fish. Also, cut out milk in favor of almond milk. Milk is fattening, and almond milk can give you twice the calcium without all the fat.

I want to work out as well, but the aftermath of it is going to be horrible. I haven't workout at all in three months.

I especially want to do Zumba, but I don't want to because of the aftermath of that. Oh Lord, imagine the pain my body will get :cryingeyesout:. ESPECIALLY MY LEGS.
No pain... no gain. :) If it dont hurt at the end, it means you havent pushed your limit. If its any consolation, vhen the pain dies-down, you'l feel AWESOME! Nothing like that electrifyed feel of having accomplished something you thoght imposible!

• Useful
Reactions: TheGreyWarden
So yea, I really just don't know what to do, any advice for me folks?
I actually workout every morning, and my dad is a workout nut who does P90X related shit all the time, so... Here's my two pence.
Recently, I've decided I really want to start exercising and get physically stronger after I recently hurt my back rather badly, with sprained muscles that kept me out of commission for several days.
Beware of this injury. Unlike certain other people posting here, I'm going to be very blunt with you: Pushing your limits on a previously injured area is one of the best ways to put yourself in a wheelchair for the rest of your life. Don't go completely crazy and if it hurts, slow down. There is a difference between "I feel sore" and "I feel like I'm going to vomit and my muscles are locking up." If you've hit the latter category, you are a fucking idiot, because that is your body physically commanding you to stop hurting yourself.

So, let's hammer out a few points, rapid-fire here.
  1. If you want to push your limits, workout until you are sore, not until you are in serious physical pain. Working out beyond being sore is a fairly pointless endeavour, as that's usually the point when your body is telling you that it's had enough. That's why we evolved a "sore" state between pain and comfort in the first place. :ferret:
  2. Do stretches. Simple stretches--think stuff like lunges--a few minutes every day, before a workout. Sometimes after a workout too. It feels good and it will help prevent physical injury from pushing your limits, because it releases tension in your muscles before you start putting them under pressure.
  3. Don't expect to be able to complete something like P90X Extreme on your first attempt if you haven't been working out much lately. However...
  4. Get a regiment. A workout regiment. A routine. Something, every day. Make sure to remember to take 1-2 days a week off from workouts other than stretches (to give your body recovery time to start with so you can ease yourself into a routine without murdering yourself), but don't be ashamed if you can't keep up with whatever regiment you find to begin with. Take your time. Push yourself to your limits, don't push yourself to the limits of someone with a six pack who makes a career out of educating you in how to workout. He will pretty much always be better than you. That's the entire point of a teacher: Is that he's better than you.
  5. Get a proper diet. No, not starving yourself like some anemic assclown or eating nothing but protein shakes, but an actual, healthy diet. Half of getting healthy is what you eat and how much you eat, not just workouts. Again, you don't need to be perfect, but get some protein in your diet. Protein is the chemical which muscles crave to grow. Don't eat too much fat (so cut back on foods that have a ton of fat), but don't be ashamed if you eat some fatty foods. Because your body actually needs some level of fat to survive, so, you don't have to throw away all those fatty hamburgers. Just eat them in moderation, like everything else in life.
So tl;dr: Find a home workout routine that best fits your personal needs, eat decently (don't have to be perfect, but have a decent diet with lots of protein and beware how much fat you consume), don't compare yourself to people who do workouts for a living--they will always be better than you and that is the entire point to their existence just focus on bettering yourself from your current point, stretches are the second best way to avoid workout related injuries, and the best way to avoid injuries is to workout until you are sore and then stop.

Otherwise, beyond this, go look up the advice of a health professional. Think like doctors, or workout instructors. There's hundreds of them all over the Internet. Everybody here (myself included) is just a guy or gal with an opinion. Nobody here has the credentials to speak with absolute authority, so be a smart consumer, and shop around. :ferret:

Stretching and proper warm-up is especially important when recovering from injury. Before you go test your limits and exercise till you're sore, try to build up slowly. Especially when starting out and you don't know your body very well, cramp and injury can sneak up on you. It's also probably wiser, for your goals, to work on lean muscle than hulking out. Set realistic goals and regular regiments. Routine is your new god. Just be very wary of what your body tells you and listen to it. Give yourself time to learn the language and have at least one day of rest in the week. Preferably two, all things considered. I know it's very tempting for people to push their limits, but if I learned anything; don't be an arrogant twat when it comes to your health. Don't run that one extra mile when your body is telling you to stop. Proving a point is cool for about ten seconds, being out of commission from it is shitty a lot longer.

Also eat well. 'cause. Y'know.

Everybody here (myself included) is just a guy or gal with an opinion.
In fact, I worked as a personal trainer for a year or so. And have been working out for close to 10 years, all-together, as part of my training in martial arts. So I do have kuite a bit of expirience on the topic.

Okay guys so...

Recently, I've decided I really want to start exercising and get physically stronger after I recently hurt my back rather badly, with sprained muscles that kept me out of commission for several days.

Deciding to myself, that the pain involved with hurting yourself due to being out of shape is BULLSHIT and simply not worth it(because seriously OWWWWWWW), and that also knowing that being in better physical shape will also just make me overall healthier and less prone to illness, I decided to change that.

Some problems face me

Affording a gym subscription is simply impossible for me for starters, and I do have family members who own training weights, and a nice treadmill, the ultimate problem that assails me is...

My lack of knowledge in general about the subject, how does an adult 24 male who's never seriously exercised in his life, go about doing so in a manner that will build your body up properly, and safely, find out about it?

Part of he issue is, the internet is in this case, rather unhelpful for me, because I don't know what sources of information are good, or even accurate, how do you find out? I don't know anyone to talk to, and as far as I know if I want to talk to a someone who professionally really knows this stuff, like a trainer or a physical therapist, in order to talk to them, I'd need to pay money.

So yea, I really just don't know what to do, any advice for me folks?

Now to offer a profesional recomendation for your specific situation Hunter Of Shadows, something I usualy dont like to do over the net, and vhen I dont meet you in person and see for myself, but the level of guessvork from varius people here maked me change my mind.

So, Hunter Of Shadows, rehab/workout regimen folowing a back-injury. First of all, your goal shuldnt even be to get physicaly stronger yet, your goal shuld be first and fore-most, to fully rehabilitate your back and get it back in working order. For that, I recomend certain yoga asanas (postures), simple ones, focusing on the proper spinal alignment, only sligtly augmented by low-intensity strength training.

First of all - the Staff posture. Sit vith your back to the wall, keeping them as straigt as you can, legs extended forvard, also straigt in the kness. The vhole surface of your back shuld be in contact with the wall, completly straigt and upright. Basicly a 90 degrees angle betwen your trunk and your extended legs, L shape.

Next - stand up from that posture, keeping your back straigt to the wall, relaxed if posible, until you enter a Equal standing posture. Feet right next to each-other, arms paralel to your body, palms tightened and splayed out-vard (something I sadly cant do vith my left hand, having nerve damage there that prevents me from splaying my fist fully), but the rest of the arm relaxed, and sligtly separated from your sides, not in contact vith them. Sholders loose, back straigt. Eyes front, gaze directly ahead.

Next - slyde back down the vall, back in-to the the Staff posture, and hold it for another 3 mins or so, then try a very simple set of Twists. Kneeling stance, toes pointed back (maybe have a training mat under, if its sore on the knees). Arms paralel to the sides, try to twist in your waist to the left and right, no more then 45 to 60 degres (normaly the twist shuld be a full 90 or even 120 degrees (for very flexy ppl), but vith your injured back I'd sugest toning it down). Use comon sense, see how far you can twist before it begins to hurt. Do it, say, 5 times left and 5 right, in one session. Hold each twist for 20 seconds, and stay relaxed in it.

Next - get completly down on the mat, lye on your back, in a Corpse posture. This is the "rest" period, at the end. Hold this one as long as you want, and stay completly relaxed, in your whole body.

So, that completes one session. After this yoga warm-up, so to speak, if you'r up to it, try doing a couple dozen sit-ups. Dont cheat and bend the knees vhen doing them, keep the pure L shape, legs straigt, back straigt. This wil put the focus on abs and hips/thighs, instead of further straining your spine by bending it, and at the same time keep the back straigt during the whole sit-up. Keep your hands paralel to your body, not behind the head, to make it a litle easyer then a normal sit-up, if you need.

Folowing that, you can do another Yoga set descrybed above, to "warm-down" after the exertion of the sit-ups. Or just spend some more time in a Corpse posture, relaxing. Up to you.

Now, this vhole session, shuld take about 15-20 minutes. Do it, say, 3 times a day, vhen you have time. After a week or so, you can start experimenting vith adding-in some more chalenging exercises, if your back start to feel beter.

Hope this helps! :)

Reactions: Kestrel
Status
Not open for further replies.