Getting By

Status
Not open for further replies.
Huddled in for the night, the first thing John looked for in the Karaoke bar was the bar, and the potential booze that may be there with it. Much to his disappointment, there was nothing to drink and he grumbled as he sat with the others.

"Nothing," he reported when he came back. "Not like I was expecting to find anything, but still." John turned to Alexia, with the kid by her side, and tried to continue the conversation from earlier.

"I know it's a bad idea for me to go in there alone, but having you guys come is even worse. I can't shoot, yeah, but with Luke that's not gonna matter," he began. "I just don't want to see you get hurt. You or Nyla. I care about you girls too much. Now if I have to take someone with me I'd like it to be Guns Mc'Foodpack over here," he gestured to Miles. "He might be as good a shot as you, and unlike you I won't be as torn-up if he dies. I think we can both agree Elijah stays here. I don't want to take the kid back somewhere he can get hurt, and I know you don't either. That means someone has to stay and look after him. And he seems to like you."

John thought he was putting together a really good reason for her not to come along. He sat back and waited for the coming argument.

Alexia had truged along quietly as they made their way back to the Karoke bar. She didn't say much, except to warn Elijah if there was some obstacle coming up on them. And even then, it was quiet, just loud enough for the youngling to hear. When the had ducked into the bar, she had immediately checked in on the redhead. Yep, she was still in the corner, half hidden where she had left her. Without a word, the brunette had shrugged her jacket off and laid it across her sister's smaller frame. Alexia had never minded the cold as much as Nyla had.

Now she sat on the floor, leaning up against one of the walls near the set up tables, Elijah apparently had decided to stick to her, but she didn't mind. He was just a kid and she could keep a better eye on him if he just went along with her willingly. lavender eyes were caught when Miles began to take apart his guns. What the hell? She frowned at the larger man. Guns couldn't shoot if they were in pieces. Why did he take it apart?

She was pulled out of her thoughts as John spoke though. Her attention refocused on him, eyes getting narrower by the second the more he defended his move to go investigate Luke's camp. By the time he finished his argument she was glaring at him full on again, anger spiking as she kept her lips firmly closed. Her mind reached for reasons for him NOT to go. She glanced over at the redhead then back down at the kid.

"We need supplies first." She decided was one of her better arguments. "If we stick to the outskirts, we'll probably be less noticeable than if we decide to head further in." She locked eyes with John. "Its not all that cold now." Hell, sometime it was freaking hot. "But Fall is going to come back, we need to stock up what we lost in the truck." The brunette rolled her shoulders some before she gave him a pointed look then let her eyes flicker over at Nyla than again towards Elijah, trying to convey her point. "Luke can wait, can't he?" She tried. "If we keep a low enough profile, we can just grab a couple things and move on." Seattle had too many snakes anyways. "maybe head back out towards the mountains if we can find some form of shelter. or we could double back and head back towards the settlement before the last one."

Miles Dyson

"I know it's a bad idea for me to go in there alone, but having you guys come is even worse. I can't shoot, yeah, but with Luke that's not gonna matter," John had said. "I just don't want to see you get hurt. You or Nyla. I care about you girls too much. Now if I have to take someone with me I'd like it to be Guns Mc'Foodpack over here,"

"Fuck you." Miles spouted, abruptly. from a table over. He didn't even look up from his three disassembled guns to do so. He either wasn't that offended, or simply, wasn't that interested in starting an argument. Either way, he wasn't afraid to say what was on his mind, this was certain.

"We need supplies first." Finally, someone else acknowledged the threat facing them at this moment. "If we stick to the outskirts, we'll probably be less noticeable than if we decide to head further in." This was certain: to get anywhere in this world, they needed to food, shelter and weapons procurement. Not to single handedly barge into hostile territory. . "Its not all that cold now." Hell, sometime it was freaking hot. "But Fall is going to come back, we need to stock up what we lost in the truck."

"I agree with the lady here. If you're so damn hard on protecting her, then running into the enemy camp--regardless of how many bullets you can take--is not tactically sound. We lost a lot of equipment and stored away food back there. Now I'M going to a spot where I think we can procure more weaponry, and possibly more ammunition. We'll need more weapons should any one come after us in the meantime. Those pistols will only help so much, but they don't stop heavily armed opponents. And I've only built so many flechettes to fire from my combat rifle. Now, I can modify your pistols to fire flechette rounds which are heavier than standard ammunition and I can even teach you how to make a flechette--but that takes time. Time we don't have. Dark is setting in soon, and with as many buildings as there are around us, there's simply no telling who can come from where."

"What is this?"Elijah asked, holding up a piece of the P37 9MM that Miles had hand built from scratch. Miles turned to look, taking the piece from the child and inspecting it.

"That is what is called a firing pin--please put it back exactly where you found it kid. Last thing I need is to go into a gun fight with a gun that won't fire." He handed it back to Elijah, promptly giving him the order and thereby making him feel needed.

"Now, if you'll excuse me--"Guns Mcfoodpack" here has to return to what he was doing so he can actually be productive rather than get us all killed by running straight into enemy territory." Miles eyed John as he turned and stepped back over to his table, sitting down. He had taken a few more items out of the rucksack. Items to clean and care fore the parts inside a gun.

He retrieved the following:

• Lubricant
  • A bore brush
  • A patch holder and patches
  • Cleaning rod
  • A nylon cleaning brush
  • Flashlight
  • Cotton swabs
  • Microfiber cloths for polishing
He also took out a rope with with a wire brush attached on a feed line. This was for the disassembled shotgun which fired various specialty rounds. Which usually meant a ton a fouling in the barrel. Unless of course you were Miles, and cleaned your guns any chance you got.

Step two involved always taking the time to properly unload your gun and double-checking to make sure that it's unloaded every time you pick it up to clean it. Remembering that the gun may still have a round ready to fire after you remove the magazine, so checking and removing this round. After opening the chamber, he looked through the barrel from back to front. Confirming that no round remains inside, either in the chamber or stuck in the barrel.

No gun can be considered unloaded until you have looked through the barrel.

Step three. The step he was already at to begin with. Disassembling the firearm.

Semi-automatic pistols and rifles will generally be stripped into their major components: barrel, slide, guide rod, frame and magazine. Revolvers, shotguns, and most other sorts of guns will not need to be stripped to clean them.

Field stripping is not necessary to clean the gun thoroughly. One shouldn't take apart their gun more than they have to unless it requires repair. Likewise, some guns can't be stripped at all and it won't be necessary to do anything but open the chamber to clean it.

Part two of cleaning one's gun.

At this point, Miles had resettled himself back down at his table with an eager little one looker sitting across from him. Elijah was, needless to say, in awe of this man's knowledge and skill. He seemed to know so much, so much that Elijah himself was curious about. Such as what it truly meant to own a gun and how to take care of it.

Noting he had an audience, he payed attention to the boy.

"Clean out the barrel with cleaning rod and patches." He said to Elijah, holding up each for Elijah to see and nod to.

"Soak the bore, or inside of the barrel, using a cleaning rod, patch holder and the right size cotton patches for your gun. Work from the back of the bore if you can. If not, use a muzzle guard. The muzzle guard keeps the cleaning rod from banging against the muzzle, which can cause your gun to malfunction."

Last edited by a moderator:
John sighed. Yes, supplies were important. He couldn't argue with everybody's basic needs. But he also doubted if he went into Luke's little stronghold with a pack of stuff he'd be able to keep it. And he had to get in there. For the people inside. For kids like Elijah. For Veronica.

"Luke can wait, yeah," he said. "The people in that village can't. I tried explaining Luke to you before, Alexia, and you're still not getting it. When you're told you can't die anymore, you start to believe it. People like Luke - he started thinking it made him better than everybody else. Like a god. We all developed kind of god-complexes after the nano med experiment. We think we can do things others can't or shouldn't, and I know I've done it too.

"I want to go so bad because I feel responsible for him, for what he does," John continued. He stared at the fire. "I knew him longer than I knew you and Nyla. I was his opposing force, the one who always argued when he wanted to do something...crazy. Half the group saw things my way, the other half saw things his. When I left, and you girls found me, I upset that balance, and now who knows what he's been able to do unchecked? All of you, just ask yourselves what you would do if nobody told you to stop once in a while."

He holstered the gun Miles had gotten for him in his pocket and stood up. He wasn't going just yet. He hadn't completely ignored the conversation.

"I'll stick around and help with supplies. I'll wait, and even - if I have to - take you in with me," he said. Then he turned a hard glare at Alexia, a look he'd never given her before to let her know how dead serious he was. "But I am going there, whether you like it or not. I don't want to, that's why I was so keen on letting us go the other way at first. But now I feel like I have to, and nothing you say can change my mind."

Alexias eyes had flickered over to Miles as the other man spoke, her eyes again catch on the dismantled guns in front of him. Her eyebrow twitched as she started at the different pieces. Why the hell was his gun in pieces?! She couldn't get over it. Shoving her hands into the pockets of her jeans and fisting them there, she purposefully turned away from the table. Instead, opting to watch john as Miles continued to say his piece. Lavender orbs bounced back over to the other man when he mentioned "procuring more weaponry." Where was he going to do that at? She shook her head a bit before deciding to tune him out for a minute to refocus on John. She's buzz the man with questions after her conversation with John.

She moved a bit closer to him as he started to speak. And she did listen, she always listened to what was being said to her. She just didn't always do what was asked.

"...just ask yourselves what you would do if nobody told you to stop once in a while." She wasn't sure whether to flinch or defend herself, again, she opted for quiet, turning her head sharply away from the man. She did what she did to for a reason. It wasn't like she shot people on sight, and even then, she had nightmares constantly about it. Not that she'd ever admit to that of course. She gritted her teeth a little bit and tightened her hands in her pocket before her eyes bounced back to John's face, in time to catch the look he threw at her. A shiver shot down her spine. What was THAT look for? The brunette shifted her feet a little bit, letting her eyes drop to the side and away from his face for a brief second.

"...and nothing you say can change my mind." A small smirk, grim and sharp like grimace, crossed over her lips as she thought to herself. Nothing, huh? The brunette pushed the expression off of her face, even as the scene from a week and a few days ago passed behind her minds eye. John laying in the middle of a torn up corn field with a bullet hole in his head. All of the blood that surrounded him. She cleared her throat.

"We'll see." That was all the man was getting from her at that moment in time. She didn't want him to get himself shot. She hated the idea of it. Lavender eyes bounced over to Miles's table of dissected guns. She found herself much more irritated at their not togetherness. perhaps she was redirecting and rechanneling the emotions swirling in her mind, perhaps she just didn't like to see guns in pieces.

"Why the HE-'" damnit, there was a kid still, "-ECK did you take those apart?" She all but snarled at the man. "Guns can't fire if they're in pieces." She yanked her hands from her pockets and crossed her arms, digging her nails into her sides under the guise. Cool it. You're starting to act irrational. He said you could go with him. You can keep him safe. She soothed at herself as she tried to reign in the temper that wanted to bust out. How was she supposed to cool it? her sister was fucking unconscious, they'd lost the truck (the closest thing she'd had to a home since everything went to hell), all of their supplies were gone, there had just been one hell of a roller coaster ride of a week, she lost her dad's precious gun, she'd ran into snakes earlier, and now John wanted to charge into hostile territory. She wanted to go for a walk. All of the emotions she'd been bottling up recently were starting to hit their bursting point. She hated it. She hated everything. inhale. She snarled at herself and she forced herself to take a shallow breath in. exhale. the inner voice prompted.

Miles Dyson

"Luke can wait, yeah," he said. "The people in that village can't. I tried explaining Luke to you before, Alexia, and you're still not getting it. When you're told you can't die anymore, you start to believe it. People like Luke - he started thinking it made him better than everybody else. Like a god. We all developed kind of god-complexes after the nano med experiment. We think we can do things others can't or shouldn't, and I know I've done it too." John had continued to argue.
"I want to go so bad because I feel responsible for him, for what he does," He insisted. "I knew him longer than I knew you and Nyla. I was his opposing force, the one who always argued when he wanted to do something...crazy. Half the group saw things my way, the other half saw things his. When I left, and you girls found me, I upset that balance, and now who knows what he's been able to do unchecked? All of you, just ask yourselves what you would do if nobody told you to stop once in a while."

"I'll stick around and help with supplies. I'll wait, and even - if I have to - take you in with me," He then declared.

"Greaaat. We have a vigilante on our hands." Miles began mockingly clapping his hands together. "Bravo sir, bravo. And maybe while you're there they'll bow down and call you the pope. There are a number of things wrong with that idea of yours. Refraining from the obvious fact that THEY can't regenerate like you and this old friend of yours. So its basically suicide for them. What do you think he's going to do exactly? Let you walk in on his operation and say stop and that'll be the end of it? No, he's going to take you hostage by using what you want against you. Not only that--we don't know how many men he has for 1. For 2, Nor do we have the means to fight them. And for 3, we don't know the layout of the area he's controlling--if the runt here is on the outskirts, there's probably a pretty good reason why."
Miles didn't even bother look up, his hands were busy scrubbing the slide of his hand gun down.
"Suffice it to say, you're only going to get people hurt worse, or even killed. Until we get better information--AND- better weaponry for which to defend ourselves let alone go stirring up a god damn hornet's nest--It's best to stay put. And that's me telling you to "stop" if you didn't catch the hint."

There was silence in the room, with Alexia and John glaring back and forth at each other. That was abruptly changed when Alexia stormed over to his table.

"Why the HE-'" She paused looking at Elijah. "-ECK did you take those apart?" She was a viper coiled and ready to strike, but Miles was rock steady, looking up at her carefree as he scrubbed wire brush in and out of the dissembled barrel. "Guns can't fire if they're in pieces."

"No, that they can't." He retorted sarcastically before blowing down the barrel. " But they also can't fire if they aren't properly maintained either."

He continued to show Elijah how to properly clean a gun.

"You want to alternate the bore brush and patches to thoroughly scrub the barrel." He told the youngster, who nodded and looked closer.

"
Remove the patch holder and attach the bore brush. Run the bore brush back and forth along the full length of the bore 3 or 4 times to loosen any debris. Next, you reattach the patch holder and run solvent-soaked cotton patches through the bore. Remove them when they exit the front. Repeat this process until a patch comes out clean. Then, run one more dry patch through to dry it out and inspect it closely for any build-up you may have missed." He spoke as he performed the function with his own two hands producing a seemingly untouched patch of cotton.
"Step three: Lubricate the barrel. We attach the cotton mop to the cleaning rod. Apply a few drops of gun conditioner or lubricant to the cotton mop and run it through the bore to leave a light coating of gun oil on the inside. Step four, we clean and lubricate the action with solvent. Apply solvent to the gun brush and brush all parts of the action. Wipe them dry with a clean cloth.

"Next, lubricate the moving parts of the action lightly. A light coating helps prevent rust. A heavy coating gets gummy and attracts debris, so only use a small amount.
Alternate the bore brush and patches to thoroughly scrub the barrel; lubricate the barrel. Attaching the cotton mop to your cleaning rod. Apply a few drops of gun conditioner or lubricant to the cotton mop and run it through the bore to leave a light coating of gun oil on the inside."

"What's an action? And why do you need to clean it?" Elijah asked looking up at Miles he simply loved over at him.

Miles sighed. "This is starting to feel like I'm doing a seminar. Okay," Miles lifted up the frame with a detached slide and tilted a bit forwards so the kid culd see the inner workings.

"The physical mechanism that manipulates cartridges and/or seals the breech. The term refers to the method in which cartridges are loaded, locked, and extracted from the mechanism. " He pointed out the pieces he was specifically referring to with a wire brush, cleaning the gun wile explaining, in a s simple a way as possible.

When all was said and done, and he had his guns well oiled, he put them back together like they were pieces of a jigsaw puzzle he'd had too much time with--that was to say, they went together very fluidly. Stowing them away in his holsters he stood up.

"I found a police station that's down in in a recess, I'll have to repel down in. It may house some left over munitions."

John grimaced at Miles mocking, but sat through it until he was done. "I know I can die, Miles. I'm running low on meds. It'll probably cost you every bullet, but I know you can kill me. Luke's message made it sound like he's found some kind of nano med motherload. It'll be very different with him. He's the one who isn't being told to stop, and unlike me, even if he was told he wouldn't listen.

"I also have no intention of going in there and shooting," he continued. "I'm not a big fan of guns or fights or most anything that usually ends with someone dead. He won't hold me hostage if I walk in like a guest instead of a liberator. Luke's radio announcement said any nano med patient was welcome, and if there's others there already, it'll seem pretty hypocritical if he turns me away. You were a soldier. Consider it like reconnaissance."

He watched Miles clean his weapon, and explain it to Alexia and the Elijah. "And I doubt if we all go in together he'll let us keep those guns, too. Immortal or not, that would piss him off. They'll probably be confiscated, so it might be best to just not go in with 'em at all. And I'd need at least one person out here in case the shit hits the fan. That's why I didn't want anyone with me. Backup."

He sighed and sat back as the talk continued around guns. "Whatever, though. I've said my piece and I'm sure it will be ignored, but if you need help getting into that crevasse you're talking about, Triggerman, I'll give you a hand. I used to do a little climbing before I signed up for the meds."

William found himself wandering the back allies what was left of an old ruined town, the air was cool and had a strange calmness to it. "Maybe I can find a few things worth selling at the town armory.... or what is left of it. Yeah good guns are hard to come by now a days, right William? Oh that is right William but we've been lucky in finding food and water though, those last bodies we looted had a few bottles of water and protein bars on them." The merchant talked to himself as he often did to fend off the loneliness. He stalked the alleyways moving from shadow to shadow when he happened across the back entrance to a karaoke bar, the neon sign busted and cracked. "Hey maybe there is some boos I can sell in there". Quietly and gracefully he pressed his ear to the door and listened for voices. He could hear a few, a woman and a few men. "Oh boy customers!" he clapped his hands. He reached into his bag and pulled out his gas mask and put it on "Better same than sorry." he thought. William pulled out a white handkerchief and opened the door slowly raising the Handkerchief up slowly along with his other hand to show that he meant no harm. "Just your rut of the mill traveling merchant here." he said nervously from behind his mask.

Alexia listened to Miles mutely as he explained the gun to the kid, forcing even breaths in and out as she did so. She tuned most of the conversation going on around her catching only snippets. Her eyes were fastened on the gun pieces, but she watched them without noticing. inhale. She'd breathe in and count to five exhale . Why did John have to be so persistent about going in there? What would she do if he didn't come back out? She felt the corners of her eyes burn. She counted to ten, holding her breath and shoving the thoughts away. What would she do if Nyla never woke up? She'd hit her head pretty hard. Her chest felt tight, she backed away from the guys, starting to pace a bit as she continually tried to shove the raging emotions away. After a few minutes, she froze and let out one loud explosive breath and felt herself relax. In time to tune into the tail end of what the guys were talking about. Well, it's not exactly a walk, but it sounds like a goo deal of exertion, it'll be a chance to work aggression out.

"Then you need to stay top level." She told John. "In case something goes wrong, ya know. Back up." She tossed back at him with a wry grin. She rolled her shoulders a bit. "Besides, I think there's a better chance that you can pull me up then me pulling you up." She added. She would've said more, but sound at the door caused her to spin around and she had the gun Miles had just given her, up and pointing at the door. Her eyes caught on the bit of white and a slender eyebrow rose before she remembered what a white flag even meant. She hesitated, but lowered the gun, keeping it out, but pointed at the floor.

When Alexia grinned at him John smiled back. He was pretty sure he'd get to go and see what Luke was up to. As he'd said, whether Alexia was with him or not on the decision he was going to go. But he was comforted by the knowledge she just didn't want to see him get hurt. And he wasn't exactly expecting things to go smoothly with Luke. Having help inside with him was probably better than having help outside waiting.

So he'd wait like she wanted for them to resupply, and maybe then head in. He nodded to her, at least partly agreeing with the sentiment, when the door opened. John had his hand on his gun in an instant, but didn't raise it. Alexia of course was armed and ready like that. But the uninvited guest waved a white flag - sort of - and he calmed down when he said he was a merchant. That was good. Businessmen were unlikely to kill their customers. The gas mask covering his features was a little suspicious, though.

"If you're just a merchant let us see your face," he said to him. Turning to Alexia he added in a quieter tone, "We're not going to have a repeat of all the crazy that happened in the woods, are we?"

William tensed as the woman pointed a gun at him "White flag!" he said voice shaking. She put down her gun and he relaxed a little bit. "If you're just a merchant let us see your face," William's attention was turned to a man a few feet away from the women. "Oh sorry, you can never be to careful when it comes who you are selling to." William put his mask back in his backpack. "So you folks interested in trading? I've got a good amount of ammunition." he smiled. He casually pulled out a homemade bomb and placed it next to him and grabbed a lighter from inside his pocket "This is just to make sure I don't get screwed over. Play fair and I won't blow us all to bits." his voice serious. Then he took out a folded piece of paper and tossed it on the table between them "Thats a list of everything I have for sale." the grin returned to his face.

The list: A half empty clip of 9mm ammo, 6 shot gun shells, 7 sniper bullets, a half rusted hunting knife, 1 bottle of water, a sniper scope, 3 arrows, a half empty rifle clip, and very rare parts to a new sniper gun (let over from his past).

John went up and grabbed the slip, looking over the list of things offered. It wasn't much. Helpful yes, but the few things he had wouldn't get them much further than they were already. In his opinion they were better off raiding the place Miles was talking about down in the crevasse. He gave the list to Alexia as he picked up and examined the bomb.

"You make this yourself?" he asked as he handled with absolutely no regard for safety. He still had enough meds in his system that if the bomb went off it wouldn't kill him. "Does it even work or is it a bluffing dud?"

John set the bomb back down within the stranger's reach and went back to the fire. The bomb, he was starting to think, might come in handy if they went into Luke's camp. The man too.

William was surprised to see the man just casually pick up the bomb "Yeah it works, I've been making them for years..... but parts have been hard to find. Finding anything this past month has been hard."he sighed. He could feel it another rejected sale, it had been happening a lot these past couple of week. He needed to find more weapons if he wanted to start selling more. "So where are you guys headed? If you don't mind me asking of course." he asked politely. The guys on the table caught William's eye and it was hard for him to look away.

Miles Dyson

"I know I can die, Miles. I'm running low on meds. It'll probably cost you every bullet, but I know you can kill me. Luke's message made it sound like he's found some kind of nano med motherload. It'll be very different with him. He's the one who isn't being told to stop, and unlike me, even if he was told he wouldn't listen." John said.
"Tch, you nano med guys are real pieces of work, you know that?" Miles muttered, slipping the slide on, drawing the slide over the frame of the pistol, mounting it and then racking the slide several times to ensure it was in proper working order.

"World gives you limitless chances--a clean bill of health and the first thing ya do ya guys go ego maniacal when the worlds clusterfucked as is." He shoved the clip in.

Despite the clip, and the overall silhouette of the firearm, the P37 was NOT your standard sidearm. For one, he had built in an LCD ammo counter at the rear and top of the gun. The pistol featured a laser dot sight, and fired substantially heavier flechette rounds--not bullets. It also had a palm identifier that he had built in himself as well, meaning no one except him could use it. This easily did away with the scenario of someone taking his gun.
The pistol was a complete invention on his part.
"I also have no intention of going in there and shooting," he continued. "I'm not a big fan of guns or fights or most anything that usually ends with someone dead. He won't hold me hostage if I walk in like a guest instead of a liberator. Luke's radio announcement said any nano med patient was welcome, and if there's others there already, it'll seem pretty hypocritical if he turns me away. You were a soldier. Consider it like reconnaissance."
That was one they were in dire need of--information. Information could prove more useful than bullets, and, at times, more valuable than even the smallest bread crumbs. John was right. He was a soldier. Right now those instincts were telling him he felt out gunned, and out sourced. If they were to make it here, they needed to rectify the situation. They needed weaponry, they needed food and water, and they needed information on the surrounding areas.

What areas did Luke control versus what areas he did not. If he didn't control them, why? He obviously couldn't maintain a complete city--that wasn't in Miles' assumptions. But were the areas he didn't maintain stripped of their resources, or were they too inaccessible for even someone like Luke to get to? That was partially why he was so eager to get to that police station.

"Alright, but no heroics. You see Luke or his men shitting on anyone--you leave them alone. You wanna be recon, I'll let you be recon. But recon ain't anyone's cavalry. You keep cool. You go losing your head, you put everyone in danger."

"Whatever, though. I've said my piece and I'm sure it will be ignored, but if you need help getting into that crevasse you're talking about, Triggerman, I'll give you a hand. I used to do a little climbing before I signed up for the meds."

"Then you need to stay top level." Alexia responded. "In case something goes wrong, ya know. Back up." She tossed back at him with a wry grin. She rolled her shoulders a bit. "Besides, I think there's a better chance that you can pull me up then me pulling you up."
That's when Mile's heard the door open, and rather than take aim, he grabbed his switch axe and with a flick of the wrist it was unfolded and ready to split a man's skull like a melon. The axe head was honed to an incredible edge. Sharper than twisted metal. There were a number of reasons why he chose this weapon above a handgun, most simply because it wouldn't make as much noise and send any would-be back up from rushing them.

"White flag!" The man hollered. It honestly looked like a napkin to him Miles thought, but to each their own. "Oh sorry, you can never be to careful when it comes who you are selling to."

"So you folks interested in trading? I've got a good amount of ammunition." The man asked, he probably didn't see the technological marvel that was Miles reconstituted body holding a highly modified tomahawk, ready to split his head open.

"If you're just a merchant let us see your face,"Good thinking. He didn't want another gung-ho mercenary to deal with. "We're not going to have a repeat of all the crazy that happened in the woods, are we?" How many times did he have to say it?--the merc shot first.

"Just your rut of the mill traveling merchant here." He heard the man say from behind his gas mask. Miles had thought he was the only one with one one these days.
"This is just to make sure I don't get screwed over. Play fair and I won't blow us all to bits." This had Miles tightening his grip on the hatchet. He didn't respond well to threats.

"You make this yourself?" John inquired, causing Miles to glance over--twice. Did he really need to say Don't just pick up an IED? He thought that was universal knowledge. "Does it even work or is it a bluffing dud?" Great, now he's baiting a lunatic with a bomb.

"Yeah it works, I've been making them for years..... but parts have been hard to find. Finding anything this past month has been hard."

Batteries were hard to come by, but not impossible. Some you could even recharge. Though those weren't the type you'd just put together to make a bomb. But Miles could make bombs from scratch, sure. Some foil, rubber bands, C cell battery, some wires, gun powder, pipping, nails and some paper clips inside a cardboard-box could do the the trick.

"So where are you guys headed? If you don't mind me asking of course." Back to being jolly is he?
Miles stepped up to the man, obviously towering over him by at least a foot. Miles was still donned in full combat gear with many pouches layering the solid metal chest plates in the woven body armor once mass produced for soldiers like him. He then brought to the man's attention the glimmering axe in one metal hand.

"I'm going out. You touch my stuff--I touch you." He warned, before stepping past and grabbing the lengthy bit of nylon rope well suited for repelling. He holstered his handgun and the heavily modified shotgun but left his heavy pack in the corner. He then turned to Alexia.

"If you are coming, lets go. We don't need to be out later than we are going to be as it is." Miles slung the rope over one shoulder. The movement was second nature, even if the action wasn't as tedious as it looked for him. His metal frame could hold a lot more than anyone elses. He started for the door.

Alexias lips had twitched up into a smirk as John mentioned the woods incident again. Now that it was over, she could find some semblance of humor in it. Some. The brunettes shoulders had tensed and her gun had twitched up as the man pulled out a bomb and set it on the table with a threat. lavender eyes had glanced over at Elijah to see how the kid was taking this, or she was going to until John stepped up and picked the bomb up. Alexias lips parted a bit. Seriously?! The brunette felt sick for a moment as she became concerned for the safety, and sanity, of the man. He's trying to give me a heart attack! She thought, even as her adrenaline spiked and she began to hear her heartbeat in her ears. She missed most of the conversation as it flowed around her. But she got the basic gist of it...Or, she thought she did. Miles didn't kill the dude, and John was still alive and in one spot.

"yea, coming?" It came out more as a question as she moved to follow Miles out the door slowly, eyes flickering between John and the merchant. Would it be safe to leave them together? Sure, John could regenerate to a degree...But...Alexia glanced over at her sister and the kid in the building, giving them one last concerned look before she ducked out of the building and jogged to catch up with Miles.

"So, how do we do this/" She asked the man hesitantly. She'd never been much of an outdoors person before the world went to hell. She'd always been quite content to curl up with a book.

John watched the two leave, ending up with him stuck alone with the stranger and the sleeping Nyla. He was personally surprised she hadn't woken up long enough to tell him off for thinking of something so stupid, but at least this meant only one sister had confronted him on it.

With a gesture John offered the stranger one of the now empty seats. Businessmen were a bit of a grey area for him. At least with most people you knew where they stood - give me your shit, or I'll kill you and take your shit. That was simple, easy to remember. But with a merchant they liked to make you think you were getting a deal when in fact they were robbing you blind. That kind of sneakiness...could actually come in handy.

"If you want to know where we're headed I'm sure the other two won't that pissed at me for telling you," he said. "We're trying to resupply, and I think we should head into the town not far from here. I know the guy who sort of runs that place, and that should keep us from getting shot.

"Can't gaurantee good business for you, though," he added with a frown. "No offense, but you don't have much of value to trade. Miles found a cache of weapons they're going for, but I don't see us leaving with any more than we can carry. You could probably have the rest."

John shook his head and laughed at the crazy idea forming in his head. William might be just what they need to get into Luke's city. "Of course, we're going to have a hard time with all of us getting into that town I mentioned. Can't really say we'll be allowed to keep our weapons unless we pretend to be selling them. If you want to come and try your luck in the town, you could teach us a thing or two about being travelling merchants."

z0Lqc-Imgur_zps8a203703.jpg

Miles Dyson
"So, how do we do this?" Alexia had asked Miles who had left their 'sanctuary' behind and began a long march to the auspicious crater he had found.

He knew it wasn't a place for the feint of heart. Not a place for a girl afraid of...snakes. He understood very well there were things that slithered and sneaked, that had a more potent bite and could be more cold-blooded than any reptile. Incidentally, it happened to be a particular species of warm-blooded mammals.

"We do it carefully," he told her without even looking. There was something, something about his eyes that would seem weary.

Like he was tired, but not just from walking from place to place, state to state--it was more than that. His disposition spoke of a man that, had been wandering for so long nowhere seemed familiar even if he had walked the same roads a thousand times before. It wasn't just that terrain had been inconceivably altered by raining fire. The glossy gaze of his eyes spoke of a man who'd traversed worlds, cultures and had gotten lost, like the war never really ended.

Every day was a day to be fought for. Time was an unforgiving mistress.

The sight of a massive crater in a place where a bustling city used to be was nothing new. No doubt, it was one of many the blemished the city's landscape. That being said, his hatred for the city was turning to guilt. But he couldn't show it. They didn't know, they wouldn't understand--places like these were home for him even if only for a little while. How could they? They weren't the ones transported across worlds to fight enemies with strange faces but all remarkably similar to his own.

Bombs fell on everyone. Not just soldiers. War was a disease, pestilence that mankind had been searching for the cure for since the first cave man bashed in another's head in with a rock. It was a perpetuated form of slow suicide. Genocide at its worst times--like those atrocities of the war. Sometimes, when it would rain, instead of the clear droplets of water falling from darkened skies...all he'd see is blood.

Blood everywhere; pooling in streets, washing empty silent houses. Running down playground slides or pouring over abandoned hospitals. And he, he would simply stand their while it poured down all around him, soaking his hands and feet to the bone but constantly reminding him of how many lives he had taken for a cause that was lost to him now. And sometimes, he would hold out his hands as if accepting something and watch, watch as this 'blood' drew down his calloused and bandaged fingers--staring vacantly as he clung to the last bit of humanity in him that was called "shame".

Time was standing still for him. To him, people's shadows were burned into the very asphalt and concrete that made up a city. If one looked carefully, they'd see them too. Creeping, poking out in the most unexpected of places. A little girl holding her doll in one hand and her mother's hand in the other; a young man out leisurely walking his dog, an old man sitting on a park bench enjoying a game of chess though his mind really wasn't up to it. All these images, these images and more were made at a single second when everything that made them up was burned into the ground around them as it was burned into his memory.

A million voices were screaming out "save us" and a force one thousand degrees hotter than the surface of the sun later--were quieted in their hell fire and brimstone rapture; some eight thousand and two hundred degrees Celsius. That was fourteen thousand, seven hundred and ninety-two degrees Fahrenheit. Hot enough to burn away anything over three mile radius reached up to the sky in a fireball that towered over man-made structures, like a harbinger it brought death and wrought destruction on a scale too large to even conceive.

The sun was going down fast. If they didn't hurry there really was no telling what psychopaths may come out. The last thing they really needed was to have a firefight in the pitch black of night with multiple vantage points to keep them from being able to hide. They were basically sitting ducks. However, that said, Miles doubted anyone associated with Luke's faction would be out wandering this far from the core of the city for many of the same reasons.

Just because they ruled the people through fear didn't mean someone wouldn't get ballsy enough to do something stupid. After all, a beaten dog may fear you, but the second you show you're back it was going to attack--guaranteed. It was one of those hidden laws that you either learned--or died failing to do so.

When they reached the crater, it was twilight. That once so magical hour when daylight shifted, transitioning into night. Light blue skies overcome by a black velvet sea. One with trillions of glistening suns like diamond dust glittering their depths and radiating with abundance throughout. Mankind's crowning achievements, one among them: the ability to signal the heavens. To ask that age old question: Are we alone? A question that stood on the precipice for the better part of centuries, now abandoned and humanity's 'voice' lost in the collapsing world from which heralded it to begin with.

To start with, he made a few good pass arounds. To Alexia, it would more than likely seem as though he were dawdling. In truth, he was searching for something to act as an anchor. Not for her of course, she was a light weight. She was a twig. He could' have barely pushed on her and shoved her over. No, he was looking for a suitable anchor for himself, not that it wouldn't help ease her mind from him telling her to jump down into a fifty foot black hole.

However, being that he was more machine than man anymore, he was a lot heavier than a flesh and blood human--it didn't matter how light weight or compact the materials to craft his body were. Besides, he didn't have deep gouges and scrapes on his black armored limbs because they were 'fleshy' or 'supple'. He had them because he'd been through more firefights than someone should have to endure and as long as he breathed--he'd keep fighting through them.

They were his scars, the memoirs that told everyone of what had done or what he had experienced. In truth, it was all he had left of himself except the darker, more lonely parts of himself that he felt too vulnerable to show, or too ignorant to express fully and comprehensively--as Alexia soon to find out. Miles had little in the way of people skills. He'd been fighting "people" since the war began many years ago, and well after it had concluded with no clear victor.

He had enough people skills to discern rather or not to shoot on sight or not. That was about it. Wars took a heavy toll on the conscious. It was said a person's humanity was the first casualty in war. In fact he himself had said in passing just before placing a well aimed shot right between the brows of a pleading man that sat cowering on his knees. Except that he was less than what he would become.

Tying three ropes of tight and secure, all three were similarly thick and wide, favorable in this situation one might say. But not all three were alike. Two were. The two he planed for them to use to repel down. However, the third was heavier in appearance,though all three looked quite thick. Once fastened securely; binding the three lengths of rope reinforced with Kevlar t strengthen the strands-- he turned to Alexia.

His eyes went from her red hair to the pointed toes of her boots, head bending as his gaze lowered itself. Finally, he lifted his head about mid way, staring at her pelvis--though one could mistakenly take him for checking her out. He then unbuckled something from around his waist, and just like ordinary clothes, the stepped out of the harness. Moving towards her, he finally began to discuss how they were to descend into the depths of oblivion.

"This is how this is going to play out," he said sternly, setting the harness down, then one-by-one, guided her legs to the spaces. "I'm going to go down first," He moved her other leg into the the opening of the harness. His robotic hands would have a vague familiarity to them.

But like her eyes--they would be remarkable achievements of human propensity; he was the ideal model for what humanity could marvelously do. They take away in an instant, but also reach out with ingenuity and make a world of difference.

"Once I am down there, I will give you a tug on the rope and you will then turn around, walk backwards slowly and begin your descent." He instructed her, his scared bearded face no more than inches from her own as he pulled the harness up her legs and pulled it taut against her groin.

Opening one of the many pouches on his bullet proof vest, and retrieved what was called a
figure-8 ring. Pinching one of the ropes until it looked like a bent 'knuckle', he pulled it through the larger of two holes, over and around the smaller of the two that was attached by a slimming 'neck'. He then took was was called a carabiner, essentially a metal 'loop' with a spring loaded gate and clipping it onto the smaller hole before fastening it.

"You are not to move until then--I don't care if a hundred foot snake crawls over top your foot--your ass better stay put or so help me you are gonna want to hope that I can't crawl out of this hole cause if I do, you're gonna have a lot more to worry about then some damn snake." Miles growled. He gave her rope a firm tug to test it, finding it suitable he then turned back to Alexia.

" When it's your turn. Go slow. I ain't going nowhere." He assured her, though it it was in his own rugged way. That was to say the ' I feel uncomfortable with things like this' kinda way. "Anyway, hold the rope at your hip--not too loosely, I can carry you but your hands aren't going to like the friction burns. When you step off--think of it like having a certain 'spring' to your step, almost like you are hopping down the wall, just don't jump too high or you'll get unbalanced the first time." He then advised before stepping away grabbing the second rope and twin to her own.

His eyes looked out into the night quite focused. Though the sensory program that would eventually allow him to see in many spectrums including X-ray and infrared wasn't yet activated--it would almost seem like he were deadlocked on something in the distance. Taking a head start sprint, his mechanical legs activating their speed booster protocol.

The Quicksilver Reflex Booster was essentially a supercharger for the human nervous system, boosting reflex speed and the firing of nerve clusters throughout the body. The direct effect of this means that the user was capable of reacting far faster than a 'normal' person in a dangerous situation, enabling him or her to move quickly with split focus to engage more than one adversary.

The Quicksilver Reflex Booster is a decentralized augmentation connected to nerve bundles in the legs, to a distributed set of disc implants in the spinal column, and to other elements of the body's vestibular system (which controlled balance and agility).

Working in concert, these elements sent and received digital pressure signals to a series of implanted integrated circuits, granting increased agility and corporeal control.

He leaped out into the air; arms and legs spreading as though wings of a mighty bird as the spool of rope unwound. As he descended, he spiraled in a very controlled manner, tucking his arms inward towards the core of his body while clutching the nylon thread which had begun to heat the surface of his black armored hands. While it was true the Icarus System implanted in his lower vertebra; essentially a safety device to prevent death or serious injury when falling from extreme heights, the Icarus Landing System was an automated system-only a triggered augmentation that allowed users to drop from heights above ten meters (32 feet) without incurring physical damage.

Implanted discreetly in the user's lower back, slightly above the coccyx at the base of the vertebral column. The device has an accelerative descent sensor built in; in free-fall, the unit will automatically activate the patented High-Fall Safeguard System, an EMF decelerator generating a fixed-focus electromagnetic lensing field, projected downward along the plane of the drop. This field pushes against the Earth's magnetosphere and slows the user's descent to a manageable velocity, allowing him to fall from almost any height (within reason).

This meant even without the rope, he'd have been just fine when he landed. However, it wasn't landing that was to be their problem--it was getting back up the fifty foot cavern of unknown horrors--that was to be the truer culprit of disdain here. As he descended, flickers of golden light circulated around him creating the field from his mechanized legs. By he the rope he had be holding onto had been smoking quite heavily from the friction his smooth black hand lightly holding on to a certain point until finally, he just dropped.

When his boots hit the clay and wet sand, he gave a jerk on the rope.

"we do it carefully.' Alexia would have rolled her eyes at that response. well no shit, Sherlock. She grumbled from the safety of her thoughts. She let her mind wander as the silence stretched between them while they walked. She didn't let her mind wander to far though, keeping it firmly rooted in the present and the nearby future. She'd learned a long time ago not to let the past keep and catch her. No, the sweet aspiring librarian that she had been once upon a time was long and far gone, buried beneath the need to survive. The only thing that looking back on her past did to the brunette was throw her off her game. The snakes had already taken fairly good care of that, she didn't need to be any further off.

As the approached the crater, Miles seemed to be doing something that Alexia didn't pay much mind to. Instead, she walked up to the edge and looked down into the depths and gulped a bit. Sure, it wasn't as bad as a snake, but damnit, that was still a good ways down. She backtracked. Glancing around, she came to a stand still and watched Miles finish whatever he was doing patiently as she watched him mess with the ropes. She didn't even mind when eh turned to look at her, it was when his eyes began to rove her body that her shoulders started to stiffen and she had to repress the urge to back up, or turn away from the look. However, she couldn't halt the shifting of her feet as the nervousness set in with his gaze.

She prided herself on not flinching back when he began to stalk towards her, some kind of strapping in his hands. When he knelt at her feet and began to move her body as if she were nothing more than a doll, her temper flared slightly, enough to knock the need to flinch away back. Instead, she caught herself on his shoulders to balance and tried to stiffen her body up to make it harder for him. Something, she realized very quickly, didn't work. at all. Bastard. she grumbled in her mind, sulking slightly while he began to talk to her again. She let herself nod a bit, not that the man was paying any attention as he secured the strapping around her legs. Then there was a tightens in an area there was NOT supposed to be a tightness in and then the mans face was FAR too close for her. A scarlet blush spread across her cheeks as she swallowed a squeak, her nails digging into his shoulders that, if they had been flesh, would have drawn blood easily as she went ramrod stiff. Too close! back off! She yelled at him in her mind, her mouth refused to open though, instead she stood frozen until he continued to speak, she managed to unfurl the death grip she had on his shoulders, pulling her hands back down to her sides stiffly.

She tossed a glare at him as he mentioned snakes again. anger sparked as she begin to wonder if she should just shoot the man every time he brought up a snake. He didn't have to be an ass about it, why did he keep bringing them up? She managed to cross her arms in front of her chest as she finally shifted her stance. She gave a quick curt nod to show that she understood his words, nose flared lightly and eyes narrowed, she watched him take a running start then leap into the darkness below. As he instructed, she didn't move. No, lavender orbs just watched his form get swallowed by the depths of the hole before she finally, begrudgingly mad her way towards the chasm. Looking down, the brunette shoved her hands through her hair, pushing it back and away from her face as she exhaled. Great. She was going down into a dark hole with a man she'd only known for a week.

"This is going to end so well." She grumbled to herself somewhat sarcastic and under her breath before he turned and following Miles instructions, began her decent.

Status
Not open for further replies.