Getting Better

"What are you going to do to prove that?" He strictly replied, his brow furrowing in his attempt to seem stern. In reality, he was one of the most passive people in all of London most likely. He snorted in embarrassment as proof of his soft nature. Sitting up a tad, he looked around before shrugging.

"To think positively, this is like a sleepover. I mean, I was only ever able to bring Chris over so this is weird for me, aha..." he admitted, his cheeks reddening.

"...Because I'm fed up of being institutionalised, maybe? Because I fucking overdosed and that's actually pretty scary? I laugh and smile about it, but of course it scared me. I don't want to go through that again, or scare my mother again, or... anything. Isn't that enough? I'm pretty serious. It's not easy but I'm fucking fed up of being a waste of space, so... you're kind of the only chance I have?" He shrugged, trying not to be desperate but the fact of the matter was that he was incredibly desperate for the chance to live with him. Jacob was the sort of person he needed to be around. Without him, he'd end up in his old crowd of people and start to get high again to fill the time.

"...I mean, I'll try really hard to... get better, I think. I'll work and clean myself up and I'll only smoke cigarettes-- hell, maybe I'll quit smoking if I really get my act together."

Last edited:
Reactions: saturnia pavonia
"They have those e-cigarettes now, I guess. I have asthma so every time I tried to smoke, I would just get sick," he admitted in an attempt to at least distract from the other's genuine stress. "I was a nerd, to be honest - like, when Chris and I would go out I always felt lame so I'd try and be cool but it always failed. The only thing I'm a little good at is drinking, but it still doesn't take much for me to get wasted. I'm... no fun, I guess."

Shrugging at the admission, he smiled nonetheless before deciding to fully sit up. "That being said, don't expect a rush of strangers coming in. It's... quiet, you know? I'm a sucker for domestic living."

Even though he was sure the offer was a genuine one, Colby was smart enough to realise that the idea of them living together wasn't going to happen. They were far too different to co-exist outside of the hospital and they moved in completely different circles. That wasn't to say they couldn't be friends, because Colby already found himself liking Jacob a great deal, but living together seemed an impossibility. He didn't think the offer would materialise, and even if, by some miracle, it did, he didn't think it was the best choice for him. Jake was someone he needed in his life, someone who wasn't peddling him drugs, and he didn't want to ever force him into situations with those who did. There was a chance he would only get back on drugs whenever he did leave the hospital, and like hell did he want his dealers to ever meet Jake and intimidate him.

The likelihood of that was slim if he didn't move in with him, so on that basis alone, he was already refuting the idea in his mind, even if he openly agreed to it out loud just to prevent upsetting the already emotional Jacob.

"...I dunno, I don't have a ton of friends either, pal," he grinned, resting his hands behind his head to stare up at the ceiling. "It's just my mum and... my dealers, but they ain't really friends, I guess-- nah, we're friends now, so I have you at least. You're real good for me, I need friends like you who aren't snorting cocaine every day of the week, so... this is good for me."

"Hey, maybe this might sound bad but I need you too because you're adventurous. You seem like the type of person who would be fun and want to go out late at night, you know?" He babbled before leaning back as well to close his eyes. His anxiety had softened a tad and, as a result, he was utterly exhausted. He wanted to sleep the rest of the day but he probably couldn't. The nurses might get concerned, right?

"Look, it... doesn't matter. We'll be here for awhile, right? Who knows what's going to happen in the next few months? I mean, I imagine that's how long we'll be here at minimum," he admitted before grabbing his pillow and pressing it to his chest. "... I would love to bring you to the cafe I work at. It's real cute."

"You think I'd fit into a cute cafe setting looking like I do? Man, I'm all for attention, but I ain't into being gawked at. Maybe when I clean myself up, pal," he replied with on of his signature winks, just to cover up how freaked out he suddenly was. He wasn't so naive that he didn't know he would be institutionalised for a long time. He knew this would be one of the longer stints at the hospital, but only when Jake mentioned it did it seem to really, fully sink in.

The place was going to help him and already it had made him come to terms with how badly he was living his life, but it was impossible not to feel claustrophobic in the environment when he realised how long he would have to stay. Hell, it could be a year or two before he saw outside the boundary of the hospital, before he could start doing the things he really wanted to do with real freedom. That, understandably, terrified him... and he wasn't going to sit around and wait for years before he was told he could leave.

"...You don't want to be here, right? I don't either," he began slowly, his eyes peeking over at his roommate. "...We should leave. I reckon we could escape if we tried it."

"... escape?" He replied slowly, his smile dipping immediately as he stared up at the ceiling. "Is that really a good idea? They... have our best interest in mind here and isn't that good for recovery? I mean, I... want to get better and I don't know that I won't try to kill myself one night, you know?" He admitted, though did falter in his voice.

".... maybe? I don't know. Like, sure, we'll be here for a while but is that such a bad thing? Maybe being away from others is a good idea?" He proposed despite mulling over the idea himself.

The hesitation, however slight, was just enough to convince Colby that the idea was idiotic. If he tried to escape, he figured that they'd only keep him in longer. It wasn't a prison, granted, but the people who worked at the hospital were people he was familiar with; who he had grown close to during his frequent visits over the years. If he tried to leave, they would only be more desperate to help him to stop the escape attempts being repeated in the future, and he hardly wanted to extend his visit, however much he liked them. He wanted his freedom and, ironically, escaping (and inevitably being caught) would only make that more difficult.

However, something did push him over the edge and force him to attempt (and eventually succeed in) escaping, albeit not for very long. During the night, before he had to sleep, he often borrowed one of the nurse's phones to absently scroll through his social media; not posting anything, simply browsing. It was almost impossible to fight the temptation to scroll through his ex-boyfriend's Instagram or Twitter. It upset him on most nights to see how happy Foster was... but seeing him in the arms of a new boyfriend instantly angered and upset him. Deciding he needed to see Foster in the flesh was the catalyst that caused him to pick the lock to the office, steal a pair of keys and head out.

Inevitably, he didn't find Foster; the boy had moved out of his apartment and further into central London with the rest of the band in order to help along their music careers. With the only reason he escaped now pointless, but not wanting to return to the hospital, Colby did what he knew best when he felt things he didn't want to feel - he contacted his dealer and got his hands on some drugs. It was far from wise, but when he was as emotionally distraught as he was about his ex, getting high didn't seem to be the problem; it seemed like the only solution he had.

Even though he had made an escape from the hospital -a fact they discovered around breakfast time the next morning-, Colby was found hunched up on the steps just outside it, shivering and murmuring incoherently under his breath. Within the hour, he was taken in, checked over, given a bath and then forced into something warm and comfortable after walking around in the freezing night with no warm clothing on. It was that that made him sick, which left him coughing hard and sneezing when he was finally allowed back to his room.

"...Don't fucking talk to me about it, I ain't in the mood for be patronised, Jacob," he muttered as he collapsed onto his bed, absently rubbing his arm where he had shot up just hours ago. The reminder of what he did only caused him to audibly groan... especially when he had no recollection of what he had done, only that he'd gotten high. He vaguely remembered almost getting into a fight with some drunken party-goers, but everything else was a blur, and that was beyond scary.

"I'm an idiot," he eventually grimaced, holding his pillow to his chest as his still bloodshot eyes took in Jake. "...It was only a-a little heroin, it wasn't... I... I guess that's still bad, but... I needed it; I fucking needed it. They shouldn't keep me off it if I need it to cope, right? Like, that's just fucking cruel."

Since Colby was Jake's only friend at the moment, he woke up terrified. To see him eventually returned to their shared room only caused him to frown deeply, his eyes reddened and his cheeks stained with tears as he pressed Chris' pillow close to his chest for comfort. For all he knew, his only friend could have escaped and get killed on the street or overdosed again and he'd just be alone again. The thought was scary. To see him again caused a conflicting amount of emotions of both anger and glee.

"Why? Why did you escape? What did that help with?" He questioned after a pause. "They're keeping you 'off of it' because it's the reason you're in this situation. If you hadn't overdosed, you wouldn't be put here... but you can't overdose on nothing," he reminded before sighing deeply. "Look, I'm not... mad, but I'm certainly not okay. I told you it was better if you stayed."

Reactions: potassiumboron
"You're not my fucking mother, you don't need to be mad at me for anything. I went out because I fucking wanted to, I don't need to give you any more information than that, Jake," he mumbled in reply, turning his back on the other just to avoid seeing the upset expression. He didn't like making anyone upset or feeling like he'd let them down, so seeing Jake only reminded him how royally he had fucked things up. He could have explained the reasoning behind his impromptu escape and the desire to take away how he felt, but he didn't really want to do that either. Perhaps Jake would be more sympathetic if he explained, but talking about Foster wasn't the best way to ensure his calmness at the moment, and like hell did he want Jake to see the angry side of him.

"...I just wanted to take the edge off, you don't get it. You aren't a drug addict, Jake. It... was eating me up, I needed something to help," he heavily sighed, glancing over his shoulder at the other. "I'm alright, okay? I... I'm alright. I'm just an idiot. I won't do that again, promise-- were you worried about me? That's cute-- I guess I'd be worried about you if you escaped too, so... sorry. Look, I'm really sorry. I'll make it up to 'ya."