1. Intermediate
  2. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Male
  2. Female
  3. Primarily Prefer Female
Genres
Modern, Romance, Action, Dark
And here YOU go again, linking and spreading this article so more people can be exposed to one random bigot and his outdated views on life.

Seriously, you will never get rid of people with ideas like this, but if we stop giving them the media coverage they want and just ignore them, they'll generally bugger off. People like this exist, but they are the outspoken minority.

And here YOU go again, linking and spreading this article so more people can be exposed to one random bigot and his outdated views on life.

Seriously, you will never get rid of people with ideas like this, but if we stop giving them the media coverage they want and just ignore them, they'll generally bugger off. People like this exist, but they are the outspoken minority.
Unfortunately, the 'outspoken minority' seems to have several people in positions of power that can do more harm than good. You read about many government officials spouting nonsense like this, and pushing laws against body autonomy for women.

There are also a lot more of these people than you seem to think there are, especially in the Southern states. Even up here in Canada (especially where I live...), you'll find many people humming and hawing about 'real rape' and 'well, if she wasn't doing ___...'

• Thank You
Reactions: Astaroth

The thing is it is a goddamn chief of police. Its not just a random idiot. Its a random idiot in a position of real power. Please don't react in kneejerk fashion like that "Oh, not all people think that way!". That is not what is going on here. It is a person in serius power, whos policies and way of thinking has the real possibility to affect a whole lot of people. People like this NEED to be ousted. Just like you should oust dirty corrupt officials.

"Do not turn a blind eye to the fault of those in power, lest they end up gauging your seeing one to ensure your ignorance"

He may or may not be talking about the incidents where women do wake up feeling regret, regardless of it being consensual the night before, and then call it rape. That's terrifyingly common, you know. And he didn't exactly outright say "women are stupid". He said "That's just being stupid". The article is, in all honesty, making it out to seem as if he said that to rile people up. That's media for you.

There's something of a problem with women falsely accusing their partners of rape, and it sometimes smothers the real rape cases. That's why people are so hesitant to believe it sometimes.

I'm just very, very against getting news from a very obviously biased site, or getting news from only one site at all. Gather sources, don't rely on just one.

He may or may not be talking about the incidents where women do wake up feeling regret, regardless of it being consensual the night before, and then calling it rape. That's terrifyingly common, you know. And he didn't exactly outright say "women are stupid". He said "That's just being stupid". The article is, in all honesty, making it out to seem as if he said that to rile people up. That's media, for you.

There's something of a problem with women falsely accusing their partners of rape, and it sometimes smothers the real rape cases. That's why people are so hesitant to believe it sometimes.

I'm just very, very against getting news from a very obviously biased site, or getting news from only one site at all. Gather sources, don't rely on just one.
Those cases rarely happen compared to actual rape cases. Just look at the statistics and you'll see what I mean. If he meant that, then he should've made his point clearer instead of sounding like a jackass. The reason why rapes and molestation often go unreported is because of victim blaming WHICH NEEDS TO FUCKING STOP!

• Useful
Reactions: Torsty
He may or may not be talking about the incidents where women do wake up feeling regret, regardless of it being consensual the night before, and then call it rape. That's terrifyingly common, you know. And he didn't exactly outright say "women are stupid". He said "That's just being stupid". The article is, in all honesty, making it out to seem as if he said that to rile people up. That's media for you.

They really really are not.

Keep in mind that many women are pressured to withdraw their accusations, even if they were true. The world is not kind to rape victims, both male and female. People are very quick to dismiss accusations of rape, because 'oh, he/she couldn't have done that, they're such a good person,' or 'well, you were drinking,' or 'did you lead them on?' Also consider that only 6% of sexual assaults are even reported! It's so hard to get definitive data on this sort of thing, truly, but it's super harmful to propagate the myth that 'it's common for women to cry "rape" after consensual sex." Does it happen? It does, and it's beyond a doubt a horrible thing to do to someone and should be punished accordingly. But it is not 'terrifyingly common.'

The thing is it is a goddamn chief of police. Its not just a random idiot. Its a random idiot in a position of real power. Please don't react in kneejerk fashion like that "Oh, not all people think that way!". That is not what is going on here. It is a person in serius power, whos policies and way of thinking has the real possibility to affect a whole lot of people. People like this NEED to be ousted. Just like you should oust dirty corrupt officials.

"Do not turn a blind eye to the fault of those in power, lest they end up gauging your seeing one to ensure your ignorance"
Unfortunately, the 'outspoken minority' seems to have several people in positions of power that can do more harm than good. You read about many government officials spouting nonsense like this, and pushing laws against body autonomy for women.

There are also a lot more of these people than you seem to think there are, especially in the Southern states. Even up here in Canada (especially where I live...), you'll find many people humming and hawing about 'real rape' and 'well, if she wasn't doing ___...'
^Ignoring the point.

Yes, I agree with you, people like this shouldn't hold the positions of power they do. And yes, people like this exist and are common, I never said they were not. Regardless, what I tried to say and will say again, is that this is sensationalism. Allow me to counter Hellis's quote with another;

"The worst insult an enemy can suffer is to be ignored."

We expose these kind of people as the loonies they are, by refusing to give them media attention. The kind of reactions this news will cause, will only further strengthen the beliefs of people who think the same way as this guy. You press against an idea and it's supporters will band together. But let it die quietly, and you'll find that people are much more flexible.

Regardless, this is not a debate thread. And if any of you would like to tell me how I'm wrong, I welcome taking this to PMs.

My state, ladies and gentlemen.

Additionally: Tifton, GA? Yeah, sounds about right. Anything outside of the Greater Metro Atlanta area is Hicksville. Hell, even some places INSIDE. And this from the city that has been regarded as one of the most liberally minded and LGBT Friendly in the country.

^Ignoring the point.

Yes, I agree with you, people like this shouldn't hold the positions of power they do. And yes, people like this exist and are common, I never said they were not. Regardless, what I tried to say and will say again, is that this is sensationalism. Allow me to counter Hellis's quote with another;

"The worst insult an enemy can suffer is to be ignored."

We expose these kind of people as the loonies they are, by refusing to give them media attention. The kind of reactions this news will cause, will only further strengthen the beliefs of people who think the same way as this guy. You press against an idea and it's supporters will band together. But let it die quietly, and you'll find that people are much more flexible.

Regardless, this is not a debate thread. And if any of you would like to tell me how I'm wrong, I welcome taking this to PMs.

While I see your point, it is when people are in power you shouldn't ignore them. People ignoring or being apathetic towards people in power are giving them pretty much free reign. And don't pull the "Debate" card on me when you outright attacked Paladin for posting the link and making a statement. But agreed, it isn't a debate.

Those cases rarely happen compared to actual rape cases. Just look at the statistics and you'll see what I mean. If he meant that, then he should've made his point clearer instead of sounding like a jackass. The reason why rapes and molestation often go unreported is because of victim blaming WHICH NEEDS TO FUCKING STOP!
Doesn't sound like a jackass to me, just uninformed or ignorant. Probably shouldn't be chief if that's the case. But you can't go writing angry news articles because you want to rile folks up, thus giving him the very attention he wants. He ought to be taken out of his job but otherwise ignored, or informed. I don't know, I don't live in Georgia.

They really really are not.

Keep in mind that many women are pressured to withdraw their accusations, even if they were true. The world is not kind to rape victims, both male and female. People are very quick to dismiss accusations of rape, because 'oh, he/she couldn't have done that, they're such a good person,' or 'well, you were drinking,' or 'did you lead them on?' Also consider that only 6% of sexual assaults are even reported! It's so hard to get definitive data on this sort of thing, truly, but it's super harmful to propagate the myth that 'it's common for women to cry "rape" after consensual sex." Does it happen? It does, and it's beyond a doubt a horrible thing to do to someone and should be punished accordingly. But it is not 'terrifyingly common.'
Oh, I know a lot aren't reported, and that's bad. I also know of those who cry rape when it's not true, and that's equally awful. I've seen both sides of the coin and have known their victims personally, as friends. I'm not making anything up when I say this. I get anxious when it comes to false accusations, and while I know it's not as numerous, it still bothers me. It feels awfully common when two people you're close to have faced these accusations themselves.

If only victims (male and female) were comfortable enough reporting this, so that people would be less likely to claim it as a false accusation.

Everything is terrible.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gwazi Magnum
My state, ladies and gentlemen.

Additionally: Tifton, GA? Yeah, sounds about right. Anything outside of the Greater Metro Atlanta area is Hicksville. Hell, even some places INSIDE. And this from the city that has been regarded as one of the most liberally minded and LGBT Friendly in the country.
I thought that title belonged to Atlanta.

Are ya'll gonna have a statecontest in ignorance. Can the winner take in 14% of the swedish populace?

Sorry, but I'm not going to quietly idle when something is directly affecting me. I'm a sexual assault survivor (which was repeatedly dismissed because 'oh you were both just children') and a woman. These ideas are held by people in power, and if no one challenges them, do you really think that they're just going to let it drop? No. No they are not. You can't just ignore shit and hope it stops happening.

hair.gif

Can we just... stop posting threads like this? All it does is serve to divide people of this community. Seriously, they got rid of the debate tag for a reason. It was for the best.

Sorry, but I'm not going to quietly idle when something is directly affecting me. I'm a sexual assault survivor (which was repeatedly dismissed because 'oh you were both just children') and a woman. These ideas are held by people in power, and if no one challenges them, do you really think that they're just going to let it drop? No. No they are not. You can't just ignore shit and hope it stops happening.

hair.gif
tumblr_n0663m5jZR1qd8ezvo3_500.gif

I'm sorry that happened to you :(

• Love
Reactions: Sidhe
It's all been said before, but just so we all know it's not a minority thinking process:

When people in positions of power hold ignorant views and/or express them, they need to be held accountable to them, particularly if these views are harmful. For a Police Chief to express the above thoughts not only makes him look extremely ignorant, but it makes his entire department and city look brutish and callous towards the very issue of women's rights and sexual assault.

Look at it this way: when the Police Chief himself is so dismissive of sexual assault, what would the lowliest of Rookie officers think? Why, then, would you even bother going to the police if your report is going to get hand waived?

And in places like Tifton, there's a good ol' boys thought process going on, so Li'l Johnny on the football team who allegedly raped someone most-definitely isn't going to get dragged into the police station on a rape allegation. There's gonna be a lot of back-door talking before anything is done.

Unfortunately, the 'outspoken minority' seems to have several people in positions of power that can do more harm than good.
You mean like how a literal hate mob got someone fired for a crime they did not commit via attempting to shut down and guilt trip as many parts of university as was humanly possible? In spite of said person they got fired having been on their side the entire damn time?

You mean like how, not even 48 hours ago, literal terrorists who represented ISIS (who represents Islam by extension) went right ahead and murdered over a hundred people?

Look, I agree, this chief of police is a fucking piece of shit. He really is. Except that, in the grand scheme of things, the worst crime he committed was having a shitty opinion. He's in no place to define or change the law and if he refuses to execute the law because of his personal beliefs, he can be summarily charged and disbarred for doing so. He cannot refuse to do his job properly, no matter how stupid he thinks some cases may be. Versus, say, getting someone completely innocent summarily terminated from their job because of a raebic hate mob, or murdering people in cold blood because they refuse to conform to your psychotic beliefs.

In terms of the "sliding scale", this should not be given much attention. The only attention this man should be receiving is a reprimand from their superior for espousing a belief that is wildly inappropriate for someone of his position to hold. All highlighting this does is create a massive echo chamber of self-righteous idiots who will make the overly obvious proclamation that this guy is an asshole.

Yes, he is an asshole. And he should get reprimanded by his superiors.

He is also an asshole who still abides by--and is ultimately bound to--the rule of law, doesn't try to get people summarily fired from their jobs, and doesn't murder people in cold blood.

So, you know. Use your common sense. Don't stir a shitpot, don't create or feed into an echo chamber that will spiral off into yet another aimless hate mob that will prosecute people on thought crimes. If you really care, go mail his superiors about this unprofessional conduct or something. Use the force of common sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.