Genre Check!

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Random

Original poster
Well, this is a little weird, but I need to check the genre of the most unnecessarily complicated thing ever.

If it's set a decade in the future and the laws of physics are in full effect, is an RP still Modern Fantasy? I'd normally say it's just science fantasy and be done with it, but there are so few actual sci-fi elements as opposed to fantasy elements. Spaceships? Nope. Demons and fairies? Check. Lasers? Only realistic ones. Gods? Numerous. Other planets? N... Oh, actually, yes, we do have them.

You get the point. Does it still go under science fiction if only a tiny fraction is sci-fi?

If the only sci-fi elements are that it's set in the pretty near future and lasers have undergone some development, I'd call it modern fantasy. If the multiple planets you mention are traveled to, though, I'd say you're in sci-fi territory.

• Thank You
Reactions: Random
It's a bit more complicated than that. A single character can literally be on all three worlds at the same time; and the mythical races, like the faeries and daemons, are technically aliens. Lasers are still just focused beams of light. Unless they're magical lasers, in which case they're more cut-through-anything.

I think that sounds like Science Fiction. Yet the original sounded more like Modern Fantasy.

In either case, I can't see anyone getting too worked up about where it gets posted between the two genres. It obviously straddles the two genres, so if it's just a case of picking one, then flip a coin and get posting. There are plenty of modern or fantasy roleplays with strong horror elements that aren't in the horror section because they're between the two genres, so don't get too bogged down in pigeon-holing your idea.

Reactions: FiliaFlammae
Good god, I hadn't thought of that. You, madam, are a genius.

Guess I'd better set up the Interest Check!

Erm, what that person said. ^

If you're outright calling things aliens, I'd lean on the sci-fi side, but I don't think it's a big deal if the story is something so boundary-straddling. I look forward to reading about this world of yours!

Status
Not open for further replies.