Gender Selection in preferences

Status
Not open for further replies.
ALSO STRAWBERRY IS BEST, SHUN THE HEATHENS

But I can be the smooth and rich chocolate to your sweet and refreshing strawberry? ;^)

Don't shun the flavours. We make wonderful combos. Let's be one big wonderful sorbet~

• Love
Reactions: Joan and Pahn
Welp. My avi has tits, so I imagine most people will assume she/her on me. -gives an awkward thumbs up-

The ice cream question is pretty cute, I think. I actually like vanilla the most, because it's like cold creamy marshmallows!

Chocolate is best as a topping to me, because chocolate-flavored ice cream doesn't "taste" cold, if that makes sense.

Finally, strawberry... I love it, but it's not always made well, and that makes a sad Moody. ToT It's not a reliable choice if I don't know a brand or shop!

• Love
  • Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Joan and Greenie
What bothers me the most about this is that iwaku is putting itself in pace as a parent here.

It is one's own choice to disclose their gender, a choice that does bear consequences. It should be my choice to say "this is me" and it is also my choice on how I wish to deal with the odd PMs that are going to occur as a result for ticking female.
I don't need iwaku to take this responsibility for myself away from me and removing it won't truly change a thing, it won't change the fact that this kind of stuff happens.

Now these people would simply look through the threads and look what the pronounce is that is used for an individual. It would only make them require to put more time and effort into it but I can't see how it would truly change a thing.
Demographically, I guess that teenage girls would be the biggest target to this kind of stuff and will continue to be so.

Are you going to remove age next? When are our names going to be removed? Are we going to become identityless robots meant to write and write forever more? To be reduced to a serial number just so nobody gets offended? And if we get offended for having a 0 in our serial number then?

About Me section

@Astaroth You mean this?

i5p9UPd.png

Well, have fun trying to access that on my profile as a regular user. Before you could see gender, such a simple information on the small profile window when clicking my name, without needing access to my profile, which I will continue to not provide.
Why not simply add a default None then or to make entering it purely optional? Or give us the option to hide it, if it was not there before?

Due to all the confusion and silliness about the favorite ice cream thing, it has now been removed. If you want people to be able to see your ice cream preference on your profile then you'll have to add it to your About Me section. 8D

I concur. It's terrible how people might have to scroll further down a page in order to get info.

I HAVE BEEN INCONVENIENCED.

Their profile is limited to friends only, dude.

I guess we'll never know what their favourite ice cream is.

It is a sad day for us all.

Due to all the confusion and silliness about the favorite ice cream thing, it has now been removed. If you want people to be able to see your ice cream preference on your profile then you'll have to add it to your About Me section. 8D
Now the choices are limitless! 8D

• Nice Execution!
Reactions: Greenie and Jorick
What bothers me the most about this is that iwaku is putting itself in pace as a parent here.

It is one's own choice to disclose their gender, a choice that does bear consequences. It should be my choice to say "this is me" and it is also my choice on how I wish to deal with the odd PMs that are going to occur as a result for ticking female.
I don't need iwaku to take this responsibility for myself away from me and removing it won't truly change a thing, it won't change the fact that this kind of stuff happens.

Now these people would simply look through the threads and look what the pronounce is that is used for an individual. It would only make them require to put more time and effort into it but I can't see how it would truly change a thing.
Demographically, I guess that teenage girls would be the biggest target to this kind of stuff and will continue to be so.

Uhm... noooo? A site has to make rules and adjustments in order to take care of members and the staff. That's not taking the role of being a parent, that's just running a public space. Some policies are going to seem pointless to some people because it's not going to affect them directly, but that doesn't mean it's not an issue that requires attention.

In this case, all they did was take away a drop-down menu of gender selection and are telling people to post that info elsewhere on their profile if it's THAT important. The only thing that has been taken away has been a convenience. There are TONS of situations where an easy convenience has to be removed because of weird situations, whether it is bugs, safety, money, or whatever. And obviously not all solutions are going to be absolutely perfect for 100% of the population. But little things like this can and often do make a difference.

Are you going to remove age next? When are our names going to be removed? Are we going to become identityless robots meant to write and write forever more? To be reduced to a serial number just so nobody gets offended? And if we get offended for having a 0 in our serial number then?
And this is just a silly over reaction, for ice cream's sake! No one's right to throw up their gender was taken away! Put it in your resume! Your custom title! Your name! Your signature! On every post you write! You just don't get a list of pre-made genders or a specific box to put it in. I mean seriously, this is not the Iwaku Police State Apocalypse where first goes your gender, and then everyone is forced to wear Bunny avatars and not allowed to have the word FUCK in their siggy because someone is offended. D: There is no reason to jump to dramatic conclusions.

A few people in this thread have a misunderstanding of the kind of creeps this change was meant to stop. Being the head Security nerd of the site, I've seen plenty of them and can explain how they tend to operate and why we chose to remove the gender field to dissuade them.

There's one simple thing that all the lazy mass messaging creepers have in common: they look at the list of people online and message everyone who fits whatever trait they're looking for. Most of the time it appears to be stuff that is visible when you click a name to get the mini profile preview, not the full profile. These people are lazy in their creepiness, a totally different class of harasser than the type who would go scouring profiles and posts to find someone to creep on.

Most of the time it's real easy to see what links all the people who have been messaged. Most of the time they message everyone online who has their gender listed as female (though there have been some who went for all the males). I think in my time working Security I've only seen one person who sent mass creep messages that weren't gender targeted, and they were lazy and sent crap to everyone online who had a female in their avatar, which included a few messages to guys with anime girl avatars, funnily enough.

The mass messaging creeps are extremely lazy. This change may seem silly as a harassment prevention measure, but I can almost guarantee it's going to mean a few dozen fewer people get random creeper PMs over the course of the rest of the summer, and I have to say that's plenty enough of a benefit to outweigh the minor inconvenience in my opinion.

Waitwaitwaitwaitwait- What? That was a thing? I had no idea.

I mean, I guess, now I'll just have to add some information to my signature!

As for ice cream, Coconut Mango Smooze is simply a delight!

Reactions: Greenie
People outside of Australia will have no idea how delicious this is:

img_3605.jpg

I mean technically you could export them from Australia. Or shanghai them or something:

gfbFvkz.gif

*shrugs*

But no one is paying attention to what's really important here...

I STILL want ice cream, Gdangit.

A few people in this thread have a misunderstanding of the kind of creeps this change was meant to stop. Being the head Security nerd of the site, I've seen plenty of them and can explain how they tend to operate and why we chose to remove the gender field to dissuade them.

There's one simple thing that all the lazy mass messaging creepers have in common: they look at the list of people online and message everyone who fits whatever trait they're looking for. Most of the time it appears to be stuff that is visible when you click a name to get the mini profile preview, not the full profile. These people are lazy in their creepiness, a totally different class of harasser than the type who would go scouring profiles and posts to find someone to creep on.

Most of the time it's real easy to see what links all the people who have been messaged. Most of the time they message everyone online who has their gender listed as female (though there have been some who went for all the males). I think in my time working Security I've only seen one person who sent mass creep messages that weren't gender targeted, and they were lazy and sent crap to everyone online who had a female in their avatar, which included a few messages to guys with anime girl avatars, funnily enough.

The mass messaging creeps are extremely lazy. This change may seem silly as a harassment prevention measure, but I can almost guarantee it's going to mean a few dozen fewer people get random creeper PMs over the course of the rest of the summer, and I have to say that's plenty enough of a benefit to outweigh the minor inconvenience in my opinion.
I had no idea that was such a problem. :o That makes a lot of sense, actually.

I had no idea that was such a problem. :o

It really has been at points.

People who've had bad experiences with administration on previous sites might not be willing to report it. Or some folks have worried that they're overreacting and that they shouldn't make a big deal out of it cos they don't want to bother others. The net result is their experience on Iwaku is ruined, and it's led to us losing members cos someone dickhead tried to use the site as their personal bootycall list and the gender field gave them the means of doing so.

I'll take a minor inconvenience over even a handful of people having the forum spoiled for them, thanks.

• Thank You
  • Nice Execution!
Reactions: rissa and Greenie
they were lazy and sent crap to everyone online who had a female in their avatar, which included a few messages to guys with anime girl avatars, funnily enough.

Haha. :D

image.png

P.S: This happened around month ago.

And it still doesn't really address the issue of how awkward it can be to ask someone else for their gender pronouns if they don't take the extra effort.
Nor the anxiety some of us feel about calling someone the wrong gender.

And I don't have anxiety disorders, but this is still an issue for me.

Can just as easily be responded with by this:

If you can't be adult enough for that, then you shouldn't be on the internet.

You can't condemn and insult people for their issues in using the report/ignore/privacy features, belittle THEIR issues with being able to do so, and then turn around and use your own awkwardness and anxiety as an excuse to for not being able to handle talking to people about their gender. If something like that makes or break a site for you, you've really got to work on some things.

Status
Not open for further replies.