Gender Selection in preferences

Status
Not open for further replies.
I meant like, with gender you could just click on someone's username, and have the little pop-up thing and it would show F/M :o
Really? :o I don't remember seeing that on the pop-up, only in the information tab. Hmm.. Maybe I never noticed it, Lol.

Reactions: Pahn Pizza
This... feels more confusing than necessary?

Because ... now people are just going to be confused about which flavor is which gender 0_o... Cause no matter what we -try- to do to make things more fair, people are still gonna be expecting it to mean something in line with genders... and ultimately, I feel like this just generates more uncertainty and potential issues. At least with the old option, you had 'person' as an option, and the majority of folks who didn't want to choose seemed fairly okay with that? But I kinda feel like this just ... makes things odd for people who DO want their gender noted?

I dunno...

I really just looked at it like which ice-cream flavour you prefer rather than associating it with any gender since I don't believe that was the point of changing it.

Kinda like how in the Newbie Care Package, there's that last question in the form about what's one's opinion on cinnamon raisin bagels.

Reactions: Gaia
Yeah - but unless everyone who joins the site reads that thread, it's pretty safe to assume folks are gonna assume it's just a clever way to dictate gender. I almost feel like there would be more sense in having it the way it was, with the option for writing a preferred pronoun in your info... The third option could even be 'ask me' or something along those lines. This just seems like it's gonna make people unsure what to call anyone XD and while that's not necessarily a HUGE issue, I feel like the idea was to alleviate some of the confusion?

• Thank You
Reactions: junebug
my gender is chocolate ice cream so really this change has no effect on me personally :/

There seems to be some confusion here. The ice cream question has nothing to do with gender. It was just a silly addition made for funsies. :|

I actually think people who didn't read this thread would be less likely to assume it's something to do with gender. The idea of it indicating sexual preference is actually more likely to be a mistake. XD

Adding a silly fun option was something we thought would be enjoyed, not something to explicitly replace the gender options. If people don't like the ice cream question, I see no reason we can't just remove it.

I was making a joke i am well aware that it was a silly fun preference

oh and chocolate is my favorite flavor though

I mean... I see no salted caramel gelato option, so... I'm furious.

C H O C O L A T E C H O C O L A T E C H O C O L A T E C H O C O L A T E C H O C O L A T E C H O C O L A T E C H O C O L A T E C H O C O L A T E C H O C O L A T E C H O C O L A T E C H O C O L A T E C H O C O L A T E C H O C O L A T E C H O C O L A T E C H O C O L A T E C H O C O L A T E C H O C O L A T E C H O C O L A T E C C H O C O L A T E C H O C O L A T E C H O C O L A T E C H O C O L A T E C H O C O L A T E C H O C O L A T E C H O C O L A T E C H O C O L A T E C H O C O L A T E C H O C O L A T E C H O C O L A T E C H O C O L A T E C H O C O L A T E H O C O L A T E C H O C O L A T E C H O C O L A T E C H O C O L A T E C H O C O L A T E C H O C O L A T E C H O C O L A T E C H O C O L A T E C H O C O L A T E C H O C O L A T E C H O C O L A T E C H O C O L A T E C H O C O L A T E C H O C O L A T E C H O C O L A T E C H O C O L A T E C H O C O L A T E C H O C O L A T E C H O C O L A T E C H O C O L A T E C H O C O L A T E C H O C O L A T E C H O C O L A T E C H O C O L A T E C H O C O L A T E C H O C O L A T E C H O C O L A T E C H O C O L A T E C H O C O L A T E C H O C O L A T E C H O C O L A T E C H O C O L A T E C H O C O L A T E C H O C O L A T E C H O C O L A T E C H O C O L A T E C H O C O L A T E C H O C O L A T E C H O C O L A T E C H O C O L A T E C H O C O L A T E C H O C O L A T E C H O C O L A T E C H O C O L A T E C H O C O L A T E C H O C O L A T E C H O C O L A T E C H O C O L A T E C H O C O L A T E C H O C O L A T E C H O C O L A T E C H O C O L A T E C H O C O L A T E C H O C O L A T E C H O C O L A T E C H O C O L A T E C H O C O L A T E C H O C O L A T E C H O C O L A T E C H O C O L A T E C H O C O L A T E C H O C O L A T E C H O C O L A T E C H O C O L A T E C H O C O L A T E C H O C O L A T E C H O C O L A T E C H O C O L A T E C H O C O L A T E C H O C O L A T E C H O C O L A T E C H O C O L A T E C H O C O L A T E C H O C O L A T E C H O C O L A T E C H O C O L A T E C H O C O L A T E C H O C O L A T E C H O C O L A T E C H O C O L A T E C H O C O L A T E C H O C O L A T E C H O C O L A T E C H O C O L A T E

Don't think of it as your favourite ice cream flavour-- think of it as your favourite of the options available.

Don't think of it as your favourite ice cream flavour-- think of it as your favourite of the options available.

Never. #gelatomasterrace

• Love
Reactions: firejay1 and Joan
To be honest, I'm not sure why people checked profiles for selected gender in order to use proper pronouns to begin with. If you're talking to that person, then you wouldn't be using the third person for them anyway, which is when pronouns really matter. And if you're talking about them to another person, which is when you would need a pronoun, I would just always use "they" since it's gender-neutral.

I like the fact that there's no longer a gender identity question. The question that really matters is what gender(s) you prefer to play, which is already there in the resume. If you want to know someone's pronouns, asking not only makes sure you get the right pronouns, but also shows the other person that you care enough to ask and not assume.

Yeah - but unless everyone who joins the site reads that thread, it's pretty safe to assume folks are gonna assume it's just a clever way to dictate gender.

Uhhh...

Do people normally associate ice cream flavors with genders? Is that a thing?

Like, wasn't the Ice/Fire/Water clan thing a replacement for an old set of gender options (or something along those lines)? And I never associated the clans with any gender.

And if I hadn't read this thread, it probably would've taken me a while to notice that the option was missing -- and even more time to figure out that the ice cream selection is now in its place.

New members will just see it as a silly little poll quesiton. Current members will probably see it as a new silly little poll question, which they may or may not realize is even in the same place as the old gender selection.

Really, I think the only reason anyone would connect the ice cream options to gender is because of this thread. :/

Last edited:
Reactions: Greenie
To be honest, I'm not sure why people checked profiles for selected gender in order to use proper pronouns to begin with. If you're talking to that person, then you wouldn't be using the third person for them anyway, which is when pronouns really matter.

"Hey, should I post in the IC or should I wait for [player name]? I posted on his/her/their profile asking what the holdup was but he/she/they hasn't replied to me yet."

"Oh, just go ahead and skip he/she/them for now."

You're right that you wouldn't need to know someone's pronouns if you aren't talking about them in third person. But there are plenty of contexts where you would need to address someone in the third person, so... yeah. :/

Status
Not open for further replies.