Gear City: First Strike

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Princess of the Teacup; Okay, a scenario. This took me a while to come up with, but here it is.
Alistair is in combat with an untrained opponent. Neither of them have weapons, so he can't just be a flying smartass as usual and just shoot the guy.

Alistair would allow his opponent to move first, so they opt to punch him in the face (can't beat a classic, right?). Instead of blocking, Alistair evaluates his own bone structure. Due to housing the most important organ in the body, he concludes that the the skull is the strongest, and so headbutts his enemy in the fist. This is likely to break at least two knuckles.
He uses the pain as a momentary distraction to then counter with a punch to the solar plexus, which will both empty the lungs, lightening his enemy and so reducing their resistance to attacks, as well as applying pressure to their lower spine and forcing them to bend over.
This allows Alistair to attack his next target, so he applies a sharp jab to top of his adversary's rear neck, disrupting the electrical signals moving down their spine, paralysing them for around half a second.
The fact that his foe is paralysed prevents them from using the muscles from exerting any counterweighing force when he kicks them in the side of the chin with his heel, so they will likely end up a few feet away from where they started, as well as the leverage likely dislocating the jaw.

This takes place over the course of 1.6 seconds, and he'd have already incapacitated an untrained opponent without having to do so much as take the other hand out of his pocket. None of these blows were of exceptional force, but the combination was obviously crippling, and so they accomplished what a good strategist does best: make the other guy look like a total idiot.

Okay....so he headbutts an incoming punch and he is fine after that even though that actually would leave him disoriented as he adds to the force of the punch. That makes absolutely no sense.

Also, if this is copying Sherlock Holmes method of fighting note this, he studied boxing and some martial arts.

Your character would be a glorified brawler with some discipline yet could be overcome by those who master the discipline of something like judo.

@WitchChild
Since it's his forehead, as well as him planning out his next move in advance, the impact should be of minimal effect as long as he gets hit in the right place.

WHOOOOA SLOW DOWN THERE BUDDY. All I know about Sherlock Holmes is that he's a detective, and you're telling me he beats people up?

As for the judo thing... Well... Yes. An untrained opponent is simple work for him, but a well-trained one could probably beat him. It wouldn't be an easy task, considering if you take a certain martial art, it makes you easier to block ("Professional soldiers are predictable; the world is full of dangerous amateurs"), since you have to work in a certain way. But yes, a good unarmed fighter would be able to beat him in a fight. That's what he has a gun for.

@Random

Witch Child is right, getting punched in the head and not showing an symptoms of a concussion or at least a little dizziness is quite unbelievable. Keep in mind that you listed your strength as 5. That is completely average. Somebody with a nine or a ten might be good to go after a punch but unless they were wearing a helmet or they were some type of inhuman thing, they would still feel something other than a brief bought of pain in the middle of or after the fight.

Now then, on the subject of the sabre that you mentioned, how does that factor in to the fighting? Since Alistair doesn't use a fighting style how does he know how to use it? Or does he just swing it about willy nilly?

Oh, and let me make this clear. I am not trying to ridicule/patronize/target you, I'm just trying to make sure you can define the limits of your character.

And yes, Sherlock Holmes can fight.

Not showing signs of dizziness? Well, I never said that. Remember, he's a tactician, and he's in a fight with exactly one unarmed and untrained target, with no other immediate danger. Said fight, if you can even call it that, lasts a second-and-a-half. That's not nearly long enough for the effects of a head injury to affect his fighting ability so significantly that he can't finish the beatdown. His objective is to incapacitate his opponent, so his health after the fight, which will not affect his capability to beat the living daylight out of his target, is totally irrelevant to him. Doesn't mean to say it won't be affected, but he just doesn't take it into account when planning out the fight because it's not linked to the outcome of the fight. Now, if he were fighting multiple targets in enemy territory, he'd likely be a lot more cautious, but in this case, headbutting a punch is the most effective way to deal with it he can come up with on the fly.

As for the sword, Alistair tends to use precise cuts when attacking unarmed targets, aims for the general area of vital organs, and tends to move with the sabre to accentuate the damage done (along with the fact that it's more difficult to track a moving target, so it gives him an advantage there). When fighting armed targets, he tends to act more defensively, blocking attacks with his sabre in positions that make it easier to slide into ripostes. So basically tricking his enemy into attacking him, thereby making it easier to counterattack. Since he's obsessed with efficiency, he will practically never attack first, and swinging it around willy-nilly is "a pointless waste of some perfectly good energy", and so his movements are generally rather quick and subtle.

Wow, I am really bad at explaining things. XD

And I know you aren't singling me out, don't worry about it. It helps me understand where I haven't explained things in enough detail, so it's useful.

And I had no idea Sherlock Holmes could fight, I thought it was just a bunch of detective stories. Huh. Suddenly a detective seems a lot more awesome.

@WitchChild
Since it's his forehead, as well as him planning out his next move in advance, the impact should be of minimal effect as long as he gets hit in the right place.

WHOOOOA SLOW DOWN THERE BUDDY. All I know about Sherlock Holmes is that he's a detective, and you're telling me he beats people up?

As for the judo thing... Well... Yes. An untrained opponent is simple work for him, but a well-trained one could probably beat him. It wouldn't be an easy task, considering if you take a certain martial art, it makes you easier to block ("Professional soldiers are predictable; the world is full of dangerous amateurs"), since you have to work in a certain way. But yes, a good unarmed fighter would be able to beat him in a fight. That's what he has a gun for.

You don't block a punch by swinging the thing the enemy is targeting at and there for adding more force to his attack. Dodging or redirecting the attack is a far more preferable option like let's say his shoulder instead of HEAD!!! and that said force is hard enough to BREAK KNUCKLES he is going to be dizzy and staggering and even possibly be bleeding. This is a reckless way to fight

And why I mentioned

Yes, it is reckless, and probably fatal if he slips up even once, but all he cares about is how to get the job done quickest. The exact thoughts surrounding the decision would go like this:

"It's a high strike, at eye level, so aimed at the face. I can block this, but that opens me up for another attack. This means I need to immobilise them briefly so I can get in a strike myself. I have nothing in hand to use as a shield, but a solid enough object that they hit should briefly incapacitate them with the pain. The strongest thing I have would be a bone. The strongest bones I have would be the ones to house vital organs and teeth. Teeth will not block an attack, and the strike is too high to use my ribcage. Therefore I can use my skull. The widest surface area is my forehead, and if I actively slam that into their fist, it will hurt more, thus causing them to flinch for longer."

Note how he never once in that considered the potential damage to himself. He really doesn't care how much damage is done to him, he just cares about dishing out as much damage as possible as quickly as possible. In a fight with more than one target, it would go on for longer, and then he would consider his own health because if he gets incapacitated (which with more enemies there is a higher chance of), he obviously can't beat up the rest of them. But considering in this case there's that one guy, and his objective is to beat the snot out of him, he doesn't really care how much he damages himself in the process.

TL;DR: He has a "Glass Cannon" mindset and just wants to beat up as many people as he possibly can, without really caring about the state of himself after the fight.

Also, isn't the simplest thing to do in that video just to call out the Iron Man suit? :) Sorry, it had to be done.

@Random

So he's basically some type of berserker? Okay I'll accept you, but keep your limits in mind.

Don't worry, I've run berserkers before.

A telepathic berserker, okay, but still a berserker.

And I can remember limits, no sweat! Look no further than his Restraint score which just happens to be oh look a 1! Never saw that coming!

@Mimoza

That's cool, but I don't even think this rp is going to take off. I've only got a three people so far and those who have posted wips have yet to say anything else, so I dunno. >:

Nooooo this is too good to not take off no no no
But it'll just take me some time since I don't have a pc to use at all. :/

Also! Could I take the navigator/pilot? If the commander is also the pilot, can I take Navigator (co-pilot)?

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.