Gaming: Then and Now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok fine I retract that dumb statement :P BUT remember what I said about the all DLC re-releases. Sometimes they re-release games with some of the DLC included but give the ability for all of your DLC to carry over so you don't have to buy it again. What about those practices? I see those a lot
Are you talking about Game of the year editions?
That's part of what people mean when they mention waiting a while before buying games.
And sometimes they'll wait for said game of the year edition to hit a steam sale.
So it's already a package deal, and 75% off to boot.

Reactions: LunaValentine
Are you talking about Game of the year editions?
That's part of what people mean when they mention waiting a while before buying games.
And sometimes they'll wait for said game of the year edition to hit a steam sale.
So it's already a package deal, and 75% off to boot.
Yeah pretty much. Some games are also being re-released onto the PS4 and X1 with all DLC included (Saints Row 4 WILL BE MINE!! Again since I already own the PS3 version). I usually tend to wait a while myself before buying games but sometimes those pre-order bonuses are too damn good to pass up! I'm just glad I no longer see fix-it games being released.

Well I have heard about DLC being on the game at release cause developers couldn't find time to put the content into the game to begin with. And there are companies like Namco who release free DLC. Plus consumer demand can also play a part in DLC as well. Multiple disk games aren't really a thing anymore because of blu-ray technology being used for physical copies nowadays. Unless the game has an assload of content like GTAV, you won't see multi-disk releases much anymore. You can't blame the developers for wanting to make more money. That's how more and more games are made and how they provide for themselves. Especially since they've gotten much more expensive to make which is why the cost of games has gone up. What's wrong with cosmetics? Nothing wrong with wanting characters to look good or wanting to buy a new character. Like it or not, that kind of DLC is what's most popular. The DLC also depends on what genre or games you enjoy playing so that's not always the case. There are also DLC sales to consider and sometimes developers will even re-release the game with all DLC included at a discounted price at that. I don't like buying expansion packs because I usually don't want all of the content being offered. It's not as terrible as some people make it out to be. It all depends on preference in the end and honestly, I'm all for DLC as long as it's marketed correctly which happens more often than most people think.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/bungie-explains-why-some-destiny-dlc-is-already-on/1100-6423327/

This is not the first time, nor will it be the last, that DLC was put on the disc only to activate later and "download" after purchased separately.

Just try to even pretend DLC isn't used maliciously by companies after this.

kh3ytAg.jpg

gHNH0wQ.jpg

Train Simulator 2015, with graphics straight from 2009. If we're being generous.

DLC, as it presently stands, is primarily used to gouge the customer. Not all DLC is bad, and the concept in and of itself is no different to an expansion pack or even a sequel. Then of course there's the troubling definition of value: It's purely subjective. There are people I know who will buy cars five times more expensive than ones I'd consider to be within my price range that make less money than I do. There's nothing immoral or particularly wrong about it.

All I know is that, personally, I'll always consider a DLC pack which adds no mechanical content to the game, generally, a ripoff. If you seriously pay ten dollars for a pre-order pistol for some first person shooter, you are getting ripped off. If you're buying a faction pack for Rome 2 or Attila to access a faction that already exists in the game, you're getting ripped off. DLC's are primarily used to nickel and dime you, and it's disgusting business practice perverting what should otherwise be a generally awesome idea.

And now they're starting to monetize mods. Wheeeeeeee~

Yeah pretty much. Some games are also being re-released onto the PS4 and X1 with all DLC included (Saints Row 4 WILL BE MINE!! Again since I already own the PS3 version). I usually tend to wait a while myself before buying games but sometimes those pre-order bonuses are too damn good to pass up! I'm just glad I no longer see fix-it games being released.
I just own a PC.
I don't need to wait for some company to release higher specs in order to play a game on better hardware (or have to buy it again for the ability to).
God damn it Bungie! >.<
I liked you guys back when you did Halo (unlike those 343 bastards now).
Why do you gotta do everything to make me not like you guys anymore!? ;A;

• Love
I just own a PC.
I don't need to wait for some company to release higher specs in order to play a game on better hardware (or have to buy it again for the ability to).

God damn it Bungie! >.<
I liked you guys back when you did Halo (unlike those 343 bastards now).
Why do you gotta do everything to make me not like you guys anymore!? ;A;
The only reason I'm buying Saints Row 4 again is so I can access all the DLC and the standalone called Gat Out Of Hell. Other than that, I'm not buying of those dumb PS3 re-releases. I don't give a rat's ass about specs and hardware. I just wanna game and be a gamer

The only reason I'm buying Saints Row 4 again is so I can access all the DLC and the standalone called Gat Out Of Hell. Other than that, I'm not buying of those dumb PS3 re-releases. I don't give a rat's ass about specs and hardware. I just wanna game and be a gamer
I wasn't referring to Master editions, those are software improvements.
I was talking about buying the game again to work on better hardware (next-gen consoles), which is exactly what a re-release for PS4 is.

Though honestly I only care about specs because it helps the game run more smoothly.
And in Skyrims case, allows more Mods to be used before it starts crashing.

I wasn't referring to Master editions, those are software improvements.
I was talking about buying the game again to work on better hardware (next-gen consoles), which is exactly what a re-release for PS4 is.

Though honestly I only care about specs because it helps the game run more smoothly.
And in Skyrims case, allows more Mods to be used before it starts crashing.
Yeah I do care about games running smoothly which shouldn't be an issue in this day and age. Saints Row IV on the PS4 is BOTH of those things you mentioned! I honestly would much rather see exclusive, new stuff and if it means having cross-gen releases, so be it. It'll be best of both worlds for me since I can play the games on PS3 and PS4. God knows developers can't develop games on next-gen consoles well enough *glares at Assassin's Creed Unity*

Yeah I do care about games running smoothly which shouldn't be an issue in this day and age.
You mean other than artificially limiting frame rate (assassins creed) or player size (battlefront) to be fair to consoles?
Console's only run smoothly because they game will be butchered to compensate.

Dragon Age Origins is an exception, but that came with the downside of corpses taking forever to be lootable. >.<
Saints Row IV on the PS4 is BOTH of those things you mentioned! I honestly would much rather see exclusive, new stuff and if it means having cross-gen releases, so be it. It'll be best of both worlds for me since I can play the games on PS3 and PS4. God knows developers can't develop games on next-gen consoles well enough *glares at Assassin's Creed Unity*
That's still paying twice for majority the same content though.
That's even worse than paying for expensive DLC, because at least the DLC is something news.

You mean other than artificially limiting frame rate (assassins creed) or player size (battlefront) to be fair to consoles?

Dragon Age Origins is an exception, but that came with the downside of corpses taking forever to be lootable. >.<

That's even worse than paying for expensive DLC, because at least the DLC is something news.
As long as the frame rate isn't as slow as molasses, then the game is playable. Not always. Most people just pick one version and go with it. It's not always paying twice. Sometimes you might get lucky and get one version for free. Dead or Alive 5: Last Round is a great example. I owned Ultimate and got the PS3 version of LR for free. To top it off, I got Ultimate for free thanks to an eBay coupon. So technically I'm only paying once for DOA5. As for Saints Row IV, I also got it for free due to an eBay coupon so I'm also only paying for it once. Plus the developers are giving us an assload of new content at a discounted price might I add. I probably may just get the PS4 version of most cross-gen games instead of just both.

Unless primarily released on that platform, or, you know, it's stated otherwise.

It's already been said but I'll say it again.
Steam sales ftw.
Not to be one of those people, but PC takes the cake in most situations.

Oh what am I saying.
*hugs his consoles*
I love my consoles and PC equally.

Once again (already said) DLC expands on games. If anything, I'd say much of the gaming community has spoiled themselves. I mean, shit. Look at the base game for Skyrim. It's huge, amazing, lavish and full of life. . . and tremendous glitches which have all been patched over time. The DLC was like icing on the cake. Problem is, that's where you find that line between console and PC and modding comes into the picture. Oh hell, I put in nearly 200 hours on my console for Skyrim and have repeated that amount (and some) on PC. The same goes for other games when it comes to various platforms.

A visual.

Dzmg7Xk.jpg
And that is just a cynical description which is untrue for most games which ARE GOOD GAMES. Never, I repeated never believe hype on any game. In doing so you've only let yourself down and forced yourself to view the world of gaming in such a simplistic cynical way.

Edit: Here's something for those of you who have Steam and/or Origin.

Look up the games Alpha Centauri (Origin), Deus Ex GotY Edition and Age of Wonders. All of which were AAA games of their time. Also look for any FPS games (an easy medium to compare).

Now look up Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth, Deus Ex: Human Revolution and the latest installment of Age of Wonders. While at it the entirety of the Call of Duty franchise makes it easier to compare graphics, game play, story and other elements such as acting and cinematic scenes. Considering games up to about 2004-05 cost a rough $40 to $50 USD and have only been bumped ten more dollars for base games, that's fairly acceptable.

As a note I use the title Age of Wonders as it isn't as widely known but has shown it's own advancements despite not being a top shelf game.

Think about how much actually goes into making a AAA game these days? Who the hell would pay $140 USD for a CoD game on day one? Nobody. But what if you spent that initial price and then the other $80 over the course of a year or two, that seems more reasonable. The developers time cost money and no sane dev (with the exception of Valve) would spend four years developing a game which would cost an enormous amounts to turn a profit when instead release a game every year?

Now this of course hasn't always been the case. But these days its not longer a few hundred million who will be on the fan base. No we're pushing into the lower billions for big AAA games released world wide. That's staggering if you ask me to make a game which will appeal to a more global audience while keeping up with the (now) yearly advances in computer technology while keeping it affordable to the common man.
I'm going to stop typing now and walk away. This could go on for a while.

Last edited by a moderator:
A huge problem I'm having with the directions of games now is we're starting to go into the whole online only requirement, even for single player games. I shouldn't be told I can't play my single-player campaign when my internet's down because that's a fucking rip off and I want no part in it.

I also tend to dislike the vast flood of DLC and basically being forced to buy it for games if I want to play multiplayer. With all these overpriced map packs, you kind of have to buy them because most of the community does and good luck finding a server after a while when DLC comes out. All it takes is one DLC map on a rotation to necessitate you to buy a the DLC to play on the server. No thanks.

The season pass shit has to go, too. You don't know what you're getting or the quality of it, and more and more publishers are pushing it on us... and the worst part is, it doesn't cover all the DLC a game's going to have.

Remember when everyone was pissed at Microsoft for the Xbox One always having to be online when it was announced? Who's to say the next generation, or the one after, won't try that again?

Blegh. Games industry makes me sad now.
The top of the thread and this here quote I wholeheartedly agree.

The games industry is in the business of "do we fuck you, and how?" type model where they milk every penny they can out of you for a game they promised you only to give you some half-assed crap. There is no honor or ethics in completing a game before it's put onto the shelves anymore. We are being told one thing and given another. At least back then they'll give you a damn patch instead of half the game and make you wait and practically buy the game again before it is completed.

I miss the old days of expansion packs. This DLC business is more ways to screw you out of your cash.

However this problem will only persist as long as there are enough stupid people being dooped into buying halfassed products and empty promises.

Status
Not open for further replies.