Games you once thought were hard (or still do)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Souls games weren't all that stressful really, Dark Souls 2 would get that way only because it was quantity over quality.

Certain bits of Dragon Age Origins pissed me off. *Cough*THEMOTHERFUCKINGFADE*Cough*

And I have a problem with the pre telltale Game of Thrones.
Boy is it bad...

And seriously, screw Legendary Souls mode in Soulcalibur V.

Oh, and don't even get me started on King's Field.

And here's one I'm surprised I forgot about...

Touhou.

Last edited by a moderator:
When I was a wee Nydanna and I got my first Nintendo system, I struggled with Castlevania (The very first one. Yes, I know my age is showing.) It took me forever to beat it. I think it took me like a year to finally finish the game.

I can't beat any FPS....like ever. My aim sucks, even though I swear I'm aiming straight at my target. Of course, having four eyes doesn't help much.

Reactions: Brovo
Any games that involve going into 'stealth mode.' I suck so bad at sneaking around in video games. Like Assassins Creed, and those ninja games I don't remember the names of, and Payday 2. I get so nervous too that I might spazz and just fuck everything up, so I generally avoid those kinds of games.

Also, the Armored Core video games. Eff those.

Reactions: Brovo and Windsong
Certain bits of Dragon Age Origins pissed me off. *Cough*THEMOTHERFUCKINGFADE*Cough*
This game was more exhausting than hard to play, but I enjoyed it anyway. At one point I did a run where the main protagonist did not once fall in combat on the highest setting. All you need...

Protagonist: Make em' a rogue. Bow rogue. Because bow DPS exceeds duel dagger rogue for sustained damage so long as the bow rogue is left standing with rapid fire. "But my origin story doesn't let me play a rogue!" First of all, why are you playing the mage origin it's the worst ever jesus. Second, make Leliana a bow rogue replacement then.

Party Members: Wynne, Morrigan, Whatever warrior guy you want to see get fucking chewed up by a dragon a lot. (So basically Alistair or Sten will do. You can also use the dog if you want to completely break the game in the most hilarious ways imaginable. Dog pinning humanoid boss monsters for 5-15 seconds is some of the funniest shit I have ever seen. "I am the big bad, fear me-- OH GOD A DOG MY ONLY WEAKNESS AHHHHHH!!!!") Use Wynne to spec Morrigan into spirit healer. Set up AI packages to have them stay the fuck back and do nothing but spam healing spells, and auto-drink mana potions if their mana is reduced to below 10/20/30% (depends how risky you want to play and how large their mana pool is). Spec your warrior guy into being a taunt whore. Set his AI package to constantly tease the enemy like a prostitute teases multimillionaires into letting her ride shotgun in their sports cars. Either disable the AI package for the protagonist, or set it up so it will never go off rapid fire and never engage in melee combat.

Items: Never sell healing or mana potions. Just whore all of them and have one of your mages do herbalism so you can make more of them. Make nothing else but mana and healing potions. (Preferably more mana than healing potions, because your warrior when disabled can't drink a potion, but your healers can heal pretty much constantly so long as they're not under threat.) Make sure tank guy has as many points dumped into strength and constitution as possible, ignore every other stat. I usually liked to do two CON for every one STR, except where armour requirements demanded I get higher STR before CON. Prioritize health, then armour for your warrior guys in terms of items. Mages should always get mana regen, heal buffs, and mana buffs in general. Bow rogue just needs damage and crit chance and nothing else. You can feel free to pimp your rogue out however you like, so long as it has lots of damage and crit chance.

Bonuses: If you can, get the ranger subclass for your bow rogue. It allows you to summon an animal companion, who we shall call "dumblefuck tankasaurus rex." Can you guess what his job is? If you must have a second subclass, assassin or duelist. The former will give you even moar sustained DPS for your bow rogue which will allow you to pretty much kill anything in 30 seconds or less, and the latter gives you more survivability in case you make a terrible mistake and go into melee range for some reason. When in the Fade, get every single stat buff you can. When interacting with merchants, sell all the garbage you collect on a regular basis (every time you do a mission, like a story mission or a side mission, go back to sell your shit) and buy stuff with this priority: Backpacks (so you can carry more garbage to sell), stat books (so you can break the game harder than you already will), gifts to make Morrigan stop whining about how you aren't a genocidal lunatic that wants to murder everyone for looking at you the wrong way. (Fucking cunt.)

Tactics: Did you set your AI packages up correctly? Good. Go get some popcorn and watch the game play itself 90% of the time. Against dragons, you may need to pause sometimes and control your mages so they don't try to stand right beside the durrgons. On the highest difficulty setting, everyone but your warrior is going to be a ten year old being thrashed by a professional boxer, so don't let them go into melee. The AI sometimes forgets this. Pat it on the head and remind them to get back in line before you send them to Siberia to work in Stalin's wonderful camps. It's the warrior's job to get prison raped every time a battle starts, not theirs.

Mission path: Kirkwall, Mages, Kirkwall, Side Missions, Urn of Sacred Ashes, Side Missions, Elves, Side Missions, Dwarves, Side Missions. Doesn't matter who you side with, it's mechanically 95% the same in the end, but it will affect how wonderful or shitty the world is story-wise. While you can do it in a different order, the side optional stuff you can do in each area is not scaled correctly to your level and will thus fuck you up. The game was designed with a proper order in mind but gives you the illusion of choice. This is the most efficient way. You can technically, say, do elves first, but you won't be able to beat all the side stuff there unless you leave, and backtrack later when you're stronger.

Awakening: Why are you playing this? I mean, it's okay, but seriously, why?

Morrigan's DLC: And this is the day the lore died.

Dragon Age 2: And this is the day that all that prison rape your warrior experienced comes back to haunt you as his PTSD-addled mind writes this shitty fan fiction for you. Also bugs.

Dragon Age Inquisition: Singleplayer MMO. Play it like you would any other MMO and you will win.

Dominions 4 is a nightmare when playing multiplayer, if that counts. The AI is complete and utter trash, so although you may lose your first game or two when learning the very basics, you'll win every game subsequently.

However, the game has an unmatched depth and complexity. There's about 70-80 different factions to pick, each with unique rosters of units and/or races, and an insane tactical depth with thousands of spells and summons. So, playing multiplayer is super hard as the ridiculous number of strategies viable mean there are sooo many things to keep track of.

As for singleplayer experiences, I'm not sure. I thought Pillars of Eternity was pretty difficult on higher difficulties. I'm sure it's easier if you read up on the internet on tactics and party combinations, but that's cheating as far as I'm concerned, so it doesn't count. The new XCOM games can be hard at times as well (I'm sure the old are too, but I was a little kid when I played those, and everything was hard back then).

"But my origin story doesn't let me play a rogue!" First of all, why are you playing the mage origin it's the worst ever jesus.
Probably to go three Mages. The DAO board community seems to regard Mages as the most OP Class ever, especially if you go Arcane Warrior.

Hell there are people who claim to solo the top difficulty with an Arcane Warrior.
Morrigan's DLC: And this is the day the lore died.
Having not played this DLC I'm curious as to how (cause this does still effect Keep choices).

I thought Pillars of Eternity was pretty difficult on higher difficulties.
I forgot about this one. XD

I find it's pretty easy though, until one of two things happen.

1) You choose story companions instead of custom (and don't use mod tools to balance Story One's as if they were custom made. Seriously, Story Companions have horrid stats).
2) You find the bit where you unlock the Bard Chanter, my party suddenly started dropping like flies there.

I ended up dual wielding rogue like an idiot the first time in DA:O . I managed to beat the game just fine after maybe 4-7 game overs. What I will never understand is why I can kill regular darkspawn in 1-3 hits but it takes a decent half minute to take out screeches or whatever they were called.

I'll admit, I made my first Hawke a Diplomatic, snarky, oddly defense heavy mage. Breezed through 2. Took three days at most.

Still have yet to actually buy Inquisition.
:\

Finished DA Origins originally as a Strength Dual Wield Rogue.
I wanted to be Warrior, but I wanted all the warrior allies, but that meant no chest, so I went strength Rogue for Armor & Chests.
Ended up being my three allies constantly dying and my main going practically solo (Cause Easy difficulty + All the 100+ gold gear)

DA2 I made a Mage, who I played exactly how I would respond to situations. It was fun as a first time, but it doesn't have the charm that origins did.

Inquisition I'm still in the middle of, but I'm going to restart soon as a Mage now that I've decided what followers to use (Iron Bull, Varric & Dorian).

Having not played this DLC I'm curious as to how (cause this does still effect Keep choices).
Because that was the day the dark nature of the universe was completely rendered null and void. What made Origins great was that no matter what you did, in the end, someone had to die. The only choice to invert this was letting Morrigan (the morally questionable party member) run off with a demon god baby. No matter your choice, there was a consequence, and it had actual weight to it. The only way you could cheat death was to allow Morrigan and her already proven to be extremely questionable decision making skills try to raise a god baby by taking a corrupted soul out of an Archdemon.

Pretty deep shit. All of your choices had consequences. The only way to save yourself or Alistair (or Loghain if you are running a complete monster run) was to allow Morrigan to potentially recreate the same horrifying problem some years later down the line. Because remember, even if Morrigan was trustworthy (which she demonstrated several times over she wasn't even when she liked you), she demonstrated a callous disregard for human lives in multiple instances, and might have been totally overwhelmed by the power she was trying to raise and/or control. In the end, the game states (if you choose Morrigan baby ending) that she runs off and abandons everyone she knew in the party no matter how much she might like or dislike them, telling everyone not to follower her.

This leaves uncertainty in the only ending that doesn't require the death of a major protagonist. This is how dark fantasy universes function at their core: All choices having consequences, whether known or unknown, that never allow a perfect world. You can have lighter or darker shades of grey, but it's always grey.

Morrigan's DLC changes that by allowing you to meet her and allowing you (the protagonist) to subvert that ending. Don't like it? Just murder her now. Think she can do it because the plot makes no indication that she can't? Go jump into the portal with her and be a baby daddy for the god baby. A baby daddy that, for some reason, Morrigan now suddenly wants to have along when she originally ditched them in the first place.

#1: It destroys Morrigan's character, in that she went out of her way to get as far away from everyone as possible to raise her God baby, and then suddenly changes her mind at the end and offers to take you along.
#2: It makes no sense from the perspective of the original ending. It was suggested that Morrigan had already long escaped before you could even start looking for her, but somehow, you find her anyway.
#3: It allows you to erase one of the most major consequences of the previous story. Which might not be so bad, if there was at least a negative consequence for it. Aside from guilt for murdering Morrigan, there... Really isn't any. If you're even slightly sane, you should choose to end her life and not risk the entire world on what is by every definition a mad gamble on her part.
#4: How do you even try to write for this in the future? The answer is you really can't, you've passed beyond the human power threshold. You can only retcon from here on out.

And then Dragon Age 2 appears, and repeatedly retcons things you did in the original game. The ending is also identical no matter the choices you make, rendering the consequences of your choices null and void. (Whether you side mage or templar, the mages always lose, and the templar commander turns into an evil power ranger.)

And then Dragon Age Inquisition appears, and has Leliana in it even if you directly murder her in Origins. Reasoning? "I got better." From death?! Are you kidding me?

The reason why the sequels keep coming across like shittily written fan fiction in terms of the plot (even if the characters are kind of interesting in their own right), is because they're all trying to follow in the footsteps of Origins. Which is a problem when Origin has so many decisions which do actually impact the world at large, that trying to account for all of those decisions is extremely hard. From the PoV of a writer, I can very safely say that I'm not proposing I'd do a better job. Au contraire: Nobody could fucking do this within the confines of a video game. I could only imagine doing something like this, ironically, with the liberties that I get from role playing, since nobody has to program my writing into the game, and I only ever have to follow one particular path the players choose and can disregard all the others.

Morrigan's DLC, however, is where the beginning of this problem appears. The writers attempt to give you a way to retcon the only consequence of the Morrigan baby ending, thus completely rendering null and void the dark nature of the world. Once that's gone, there is no more serious consequence or friction that can appear. In DA 2, mages and templar just start becoming more tense and angry at each other... Because they do. There's really no modus operandi for why the templar suddenly turn into major dickholes, they just do. There's heavy handed references to the Nazis (ex: "a final plan for the mages." Just replace "mages" with "jews" and there you go, have fun.) but there's no sense as to why the templar are nazis: Why are they doing this? Because they suddenly are paranoid of the mages they've essentially grown up with? For centuries? Why? The plot is incoherently written over an entire decade of history. In that decade you also have the Qunari, who... For some reason... Wait, like, what was? 6 or 7 years before they decide to enact their Qun-based city murdering blood bath? Any reason why it had to take that long? No? Cool. Red Lyrium which was once depicted as basically an instant death sentence for whoever touched it, can now suddenly be forged into a sword that power ranger lady can carry around for years before finally going mad? And... None of her subordinates questioned the whole "red lyrium sword" thing? The mages want freedom now? Why? All the mages in Origins (aside from the runaways) seemed perfectly fine with the way they lived and understood why: Because they could become demons at any time. But now suddenly, not only do most of the mages want freedom, but they're willing to go to the extreme of invoking demon blood magic and turning into this world's version of the IRA. (Fuck you, Anders.)

The reason why the fighting in DA 2 seems so ridiculous and stupid is because they have no reason to be fighting at all after the ending of Origins. Morrigan's DLC only compounds this problem because the one thing that could have caused an issue after between mages and templar (Morrigan) is now gone. Any potential conflict that could have arisen as a result of Morrigan's god baby, is also gone.

DAI also has this issue compounded because even with an open green portal invasion by horrifying monsters that are indiscriminately murdering everyone, mages and templar still feel the need to fight each other instead of... That. It totally wrecks the Grey Wardens mythos for no reason as well.

When your choices no longer have real lasting consequences and get rendered null by the plot, that's when the plot stops mattering. In a choice-based narrative, that's when the narrative stops working. That's why you might hear people talk about how much they liked certain characters in sequels after Origins, but pretty much none of them will really even remember the stupid plot. :ferret:

• Useful
Reactions: Gwazi Magnum
Because that was the day the dark nature of the universe was completely rendered null and void. What made Origins great was that no matter what you did, in the end, someone had to die. The only choice to invert this was letting Morrigan (the morally questionable party member) run off with a demon god baby. No matter your choice, there was a consequence, and it had actual weight to it. The only way you could cheat death was to allow Morrigan and her already proven to be extremely questionable decision making skills try to raise a god baby by taking a corrupted soul out of an Archdemon.

Pretty deep shit. All of your choices had consequences. The only way to save yourself or Alistair (or Loghain if you are running a complete monster run) was to allow Morrigan to potentially recreate the same horrifying problem some years later down the line. Because remember, even if Morrigan was trustworthy (which she demonstrated several times over she wasn't even when she liked you), she demonstrated a callous disregard for human lives in multiple instances, and might have been totally overwhelmed by the power she was trying to raise and/or control. In the end, the game states (if you choose Morrigan baby ending) that she runs off and abandons everyone she knew in the party no matter how much she might like or dislike them, telling everyone not to follower her.

This leaves uncertainty in the only ending that doesn't require the death of a major protagonist. This is how dark fantasy universes function at their core: All choices having consequences, whether known or unknown, that never allow a perfect world. You can have lighter or darker shades of grey, but it's always grey.

Morrigan's DLC changes that by allowing you to meet her and allowing you (the protagonist) to subvert that ending. Don't like it? Just murder her now. Think she can do it because the plot makes no indication that she can't? Go jump into the portal with her and be a baby daddy for the god baby. A baby daddy that, for some reason, Morrigan now suddenly wants to have along when she originally ditched them in the first place.

#1: It destroys Morrigan's character, in that she went out of her way to get as far away from everyone as possible to raise her God baby, and then suddenly changes her mind at the end and offers to take you along.
#2: It makes no sense from the perspective of the original ending. It was suggested that Morrigan had already long escaped before you could even start looking for her, but somehow, you find her anyway.
#3: It allows you to erase one of the most major consequences of the previous story. Which might not be so bad, if there was at least a negative consequence for it. Aside from guilt for murdering Morrigan, there... Really isn't any. If you're even slightly sane, you should choose to end her life and not risk the entire world on what is by every definition a mad gamble on her part.
#4: How do you even try to write for this in the future? The answer is you really can't, you've passed beyond the human power threshold. You can only retcon from here on out.

And then Dragon Age 2 appears, and repeatedly retcons things you did in the original game. The ending is also identical no matter the choices you make, rendering the consequences of your choices null and void. (Whether you side mage or templar, the mages always lose, and the templar commander turns into an evil power ranger.)

And then Dragon Age Inquisition appears, and has Leliana in it even if you directly murder her in Origins. Reasoning? "I got better." From death?! Are you kidding me?

The reason why the sequels keep coming across like shittily written fan fiction in terms of the plot (even if the characters are kind of interesting in their own right), is because they're all trying to follow in the footsteps of Origins. Which is a problem when Origin has so many decisions which do actually impact the world at large, that trying to account for all of those decisions is extremely hard. From the PoV of a writer, I can very safely say that I'm not proposing I'd do a better job. Au contraire: Nobody could fucking do this within the confines of a video game. I could only imagine doing something like this, ironically, with the liberties that I get from role playing, since nobody has to program my writing into the game, and I only ever have to follow one particular path the players choose and can disregard all the others.

Morrigan's DLC, however, is where the beginning of this problem appears. The writers attempt to give you a way to retcon the only consequence of the Morrigan baby ending, thus completely rendering null and void the dark nature of the world. Once that's gone, there is no more serious consequence or friction that can appear. In DA 2, mages and templar just start becoming more tense and angry at each other... Because they do. There's really no modus operandi for why the templar suddenly turn into major dickholes, they just do. There's heavy handed references to the Nazis (ex: "a final plan for the mages." Just replace "mages" with "jews" and there you go, have fun.) but there's no sense as to why the templar are nazis: Why are they doing this? Because they suddenly are paranoid of the mages they've essentially grown up with? For centuries? Why? The plot is incoherently written over an entire decade of history. In that decade you also have the Qunari, who... For some reason... Wait, like, what was? 6 or 7 years before they decide to enact their Qun-based city murdering blood bath? Any reason why it had to take that long? No? Cool. Red Lyrium which was once depicted as basically an instant death sentence for whoever touched it, can now suddenly be forged into a sword that power ranger lady can carry around for years before finally going mad? And... None of her subordinates questioned the whole "red lyrium sword" thing? The mages want freedom now? Why? All the mages in Origins (aside from the runaways) seemed perfectly fine with the way they lived and understood why: Because they could become demons at any time. But now suddenly, not only do most of the mages want freedom, but they're willing to go to the extreme of invoking demon blood magic and turning into this world's version of the IRA. (Fuck you, Anders.)

The reason why the fighting in DA 2 seems so ridiculous and stupid is because they have no reason to be fighting at all after the ending of Origins. Morrigan's DLC only compounds this problem because the one thing that could have caused an issue after between mages and templar (Morrigan) is now gone. Any potential conflict that could have arisen as a result of Morrigan's god baby, is also gone.

DAI also has this issue compounded because even with an open green portal invasion by horrifying monsters that are indiscriminately murdering everyone, mages and templar still feel the need to fight each other instead of... That. It totally wrecks the Grey Wardens mythos for no reason as well.

When your choices no longer have real lasting consequences and get rendered null by the plot, that's when the plot stops mattering. In a choice-based narrative, that's when the narrative stops working. That's why you might hear people talk about how much they liked certain characters in sequels after Origins, but pretty much none of them will really even remember the stupid plot. :ferret:
So basically I shouldn't be expecting my choices from DA:O or DA2 to mean much of anything in Inquisition, despite the Keep?
That... That's kind of expected after DA2, but disappointing none the less. :/

Reactions: Brovo
Sonic the Hedgehog 2.

That... final... goddamn... level. (And the second last one, as well)
For a game about a hedgehog that goes super fast, the level designs punish you so damn hard for doing so

Dark Souls

Oh wait.. wait no... no I still suck :|

I used to find mostly all racing games very hard because I could never stay on the track. I can now though ^^

Status
Not open for further replies.