Games that pleasantly surprised you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Spoilers

Original poster
Have you ever had doubts on a game, for any reason, and then you actually played it, and felt happy that you did?

I recently played Mass Effect Andromeda, and after only hearing negativity, I'm happy I gave it a chance. It does have its weaknesses I admit that, but overall I thought it was pretty good.

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Greenie
The new Doom actually had a decent campaign, which you would have never guessed since the multiplayer was complete ass.

Usually not overly big on JRPGs but I unexpectedly got hooked on Tales of Symphonia a month ago and will probably get around to other games in the series later on, most notably Zestiria and Berseria since those are on Steam

Reactions: Lea
Andromeda. It was bad, but not as bad as I was expecting. Which is nice. I don't like expecting bad things to come out of once great developers.

Kingdom Hearts, I guess. I got it because at the time I was really into Square Enix. I had no draw to the disney characters. I thought it was going to be pretty crappy. Turns out the games are still going strong. Pleasantly surprised..

When I started Metal Gear Solid I did not think I would really get into it as much as I have. I don't really play a lot of stealth-heavy games so I was pretty certain I was going to fail and not pick up the game again. Turns out I'm good enough to play Metal Gear all the way through and you can shoot your way to victory if you need to. Well...unless the Sorrow is in the game. >.> Spoils all the fun.

Terraria - I used to hate games like Terraria, but I began to love it after playing with my boyfriend and his brother. I still think it's quite overrated, though, even after I began to like it.

World of Warcraft - Unlike many people, I was never a part of vanilla/early expansions, so when I began playing in 2015 albeit WoD was bad in many people's opinion, I got an obsession. It was short lived, though, as I started recognising bad habits starting to evolve and forced myself to quit recently. Needless to say, I loved the endless amount of content and I still do. I was, of course, a part of the roleplaying community, but it was/is a bit toxic.

Paladins - I was introduced by my best friend. Admittedly I began playing just for her to start off with, but I absolutely love it now. Don't kill me, but I find it to be better than Overwatch.

The Binding of Isaac - My college friend used to play it during our Chinese lessons, and I decided to get it on steam myself. I did. I played it. I loved it.

League of Legends. I expected it to be an awful and unwieldy pile of crap because screenshots looked lame, but then I ended up putting hundreds of hours and dollars into it.

Dark Souls. I expected it to be a rage fiesta that would make me quit because fuck it, but the challenge was the perfect balance of frustrating and skill-based and it ended up becoming one of my favorite games.

Hard West, fairly good turn based western RPG. It has a whole evil supernatural west theme going for it.

Minecraft
I was rather lame about it, scoffing at my friend, thinking he was obsessed. Then I decided to try the demo and... well... I bought it when I could no longer play. I just like the idea of being able to run around punching trees (sorry Intrusive ;D), building huts, finding precious ores and gems, taming wolves, ocelots and horsies! And hm... I like the idea of building whatever I want to (even though I suck so badly at building T.T).

Undertale
Okay, the first and only thing I knew about this game was that my character would go on a date with a skeleton. That made me raise my eyebrow a little. However, once I started playing, I realized that there was so much more. It was charming, fun, a little rage inducing at times, but ultimately way better than I had thought!

Status
Not open for further replies.