2. Advanced
  3. Prestige
  4. Douche
  5. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Male
  2. Female
Genres
Fantasy is my #1; I will give almost anything a chance if it has strong fantasy elements. Post apocalyptic, superhero, alternate history, science fantasy, some supernatural, romance, and a few fandoms (especially Game of Thrones) are also likely to catch my eye.
GET FUCKIN HYPED, FINAL SEASON BEGINS ON APRIL 14TH!

For every season of Game of Thrones (since I've joined the site at least, no idea about back in the day), here in General Chatting we've had a big ole megathread for talking about the show. I'm gonna continue the tradition for the final season, because fuck it I want somewhere to babble that isn't a total cesspool like Reddit.

Simple ground rule: this is a full spoiler zone, read at your own risk if you're not caught up. People may choose to be nice and throw things in spoiler tags, but it's meant to be a thread for talking about episodes as they air, so don't be dumb and read the thread on a Sunday night or Monday morning before you have a chance to watch the latest episode yourself.

Until the final season actually starts though, feel free to use this thread for talking about pretty much whatever related to Game of Thrones. I'll rattle off a bunch of questions for funsies to get the ball rolling, and I'll probably answer them myself at some point because why not.

Did you rewatch anything in preparation? Planning to do any rewatching if you haven't yet?
Anything you hope or dread happening in these last six episodes?
Who do you think will live and die?
Who's gonna end up on the Iron Throne?
Finally, and most importantly, are we gonna get FUCKING CLEGANEBOWL GET HYPE in this final season or has all the hype been for nothing?

Look at this nerd being all excited while there are still approximately two weeks. Even changed his avatar back to the infamous Littlefinger.

To answer your questions:

I will probably end up rewatching certain scenes/episodes through Youtube, but nothing like rewatching the whole series again.

I dread the last season because it is only going to be six episodes. Will they rush it? Will they leave us with questions unanswered??? I already heard that the epic fighting scene is going to be the longest in tv history, so does that mean half of the season will be about the fight? (It better include Cleganebowl as well.)

I'm pretty certain that the dragons will die. ;;;;;;;;;;;; the CGI costs to edit them into an epilogue was too much. Other than that, maybe half the cast as per usual. //shrugs. As for the Iron Throne. Maybe they will finally melt it down to be something more comfortable? They really should. All these swords up their asses, no wonder they went mad.

Reactions: PoetLore
You know I'm here for it! I live for this thread every year!

Did you rewatch anything in preparation? Planning to do any rewatching if you haven't yet?
I've seen some synopsis type videos to remind myself since its been like two years since it last aired but not actual full length episodes.

Look at my avatar! I am dreading her death. I know some people don't like her but I live for Khaleesi. I want her to sit on the iron throne though I'm pretty sure she isn't and will probably die this season then there will be a very depressed Reina on iwaku. Be warned all of you! If Khaleesi dies...Reina will need serious meds. Send in bulk.

I think Arya, Tyrion and Sam will live. I'm hoping Jon Snow will live but I think he might die with Khaleesi and most of the unsullied. Bran might die and I hope Sansa does too. Jaime will probably die and someone please kill Cersei. Dragons will probably die. Brienne should live so she can finally give in to poor Tormund. lol

I can hope for Khaleesi or Jon. Probably not likely though. Give it to Gendry as Robert's last living heir.

Finally, and most importantly, are we gonna get FUCKING CLEGANEBOWL GET HYPE in this final season or has all the hype been for nothing?
I hope so!! That fight would be amazing.

I ain't rewatchin' shit.

My death list includes but is not limited to: Daenarys, Jorah, Melisandre, Varys, Gregor, the dragons, Beric, Grey Worm, Theon, Euron, Cersei, Jaime.

Live: I'm fairly confident in Sansa, Bran, SamxGilly, Gendry, Brienne.

The two I'm most torn on are the Hound and Tyrion. Jon is also spared from my death list as my own kind of tame bet for winner, but I'm not confident enough to put him on the live list.

Betting odds, which are typically pretty damn good at things, put Bran in as the favorite for taking the Iron Throne. I've heard good, interesting theories that enable this, but I'm not especially sold. My own guesses would be Jon followed by Sansa.

Cleganebowl is a go.

My hubby and I have been watching a few of the major episodes, but we're not getting involved in watching every single season since neither of us really have the time. I've been debating what's going to happen this season with everyone at work, which has been fun. One of my coworkers came up with the ending of the dragons killing everyone and taking the throne which is now the way I want the series to end, even though realistically I know it won't happen.

Jon is the only one I see surviving. Everyone else is dead, although I'm holding out hope that Tyrion survives.

I'm not making any predictions, but I will say this. If Brieanne and Tormund do not get together I am going to cry. I don't mean a few sniffles, I mean flat out ugly cry.

• Haha
Reactions: Jorick
CAN'T WAIT FOR EVERYONE TO DIE.

D
I
E

Time to answer my own questions now. 8D

I rewatched the entire series thus far, as I have done with every season because I'm a little bit obsessed. The original idea there was to slow roll it and watch a couple episodes a day until like the 10th at the latest, but... oops I binge watched instead and finished on March 31st. A lot of those big emotional moments that I've long been inured to (because of all that rewatching) hit me again for the first time in years thanks to the added weight of "oh shit, the end is coming" plus being aware of all the fallout that came from such events (like the Red Wedding). It was pretty hype, most enjoyable rewatch yet despite being the longest and my like 9th time through the first season (from my personal rewatching plus watching along with family members when I got them into the show).

I'm really hoping for some major surprises from this final season. There are a few people I expect to live (see below), but I would be very pleased to see some of them die anyway. Some of the remaining villains of the series surviving would be pretty hype too.

Also, I have only one ship that care enough about to strongly want to see come true if both parties live to the end: Brienne and Jaime.

Short list of people I think have plot armor strong enough to carry them to the end of the show: Jon, Sam (and Gilly and baby Sam), Gendry, Tyrion, the Hound, Sansa, and Arya.

List of people who seem certain to die: Cersei, the Mountain, Qyburn, Beric, and Daenerys (yeah, sorry Reina, but like 95% sure that she's gonna die to take out the Night King, lol).

Everyone else is pretty up in the air for me.

Probably Jon, the last living Targaryen who can continue the bloodline. Second choice is Gendry to continue the Baratheon dynasty.

I FUCKING HOPE SO BECAUSE I HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR ALMOST A DECADE FOR THIS GODDAMNIT

sam is king

oh, what I really meant was John Bradley was king cause that was a heck of a performance, just could not for the life of me remember what the actor's name was

John Bradley (Sam's actor) definitely killed it in this episode. That scene with Daenerys telling him she torched his father and brother was so good, best performance of the episode imo. Even in the following scene with Jon, where he was playing information delivery boy rather than being the emotional focus of the scene, he still nailed it. That final line was made all the more heavy coming from the guy who just learned his family got roasted for refusing to bend the knee: "You gave up your crown to save your people. Would she do the same?" Oof.

On a related note, Bran is a creepy little opportunist, and I approve. I'm thinking it was no accident at all that it just so happened to be time to tell Jon the truth about his parents right after Sam got slammed hard with the info about his own dead relatives. Was it because Same was out of sorts enough to accept the duty of telling Jon when he otherwise would have said it should come from a Stark? Was it because the information needed to come from someone with a reason to be displeased with Daenerys? Whatever the reasoning there, the timing was just way too perfect to not be intentional on Bran's part.

One part of the episode that had me kind of annoyed was the whole Jon and Dany dragon ride thing. Like yeah, okay, it was neat, but I really don't care for either of the characters for various reasons and their romance is just so... predictable. George R.R. Martin talks a big game about subverting expectations in his books, and the showrunners have said similar things about the show, but this is the most painfully obvious storyline of the entire show. People who didn't even read the books were talking about wanting Jon and Dany to get together all the way back in the early seasons, including theories about Jon riding one of her dragons (sidenote: he rode Rhaegal, the dragon named after his real father, and this amuses me), talking about it like a destined pairing because going by normal fantasy tropes it totally is a destined pairing. I really fucking hope the subversion thing comes back into play here eventually, because these two dweebs ending up alive and happy and together would be the worst. >:[

I only have one other thing I feel like babbling briefly about right now: fuck that new opening sequence was amazing. I'd been wondering what the plan was for the new intro since they only realistically had a few locations to show where the action is taking place. Part of me was concerned that they were gonna pack in some stupid scenes elsewhere, like an update to how things are going in Slaver's Bay and something with Yara imprisoned on the Iron Islands... but nope, they just stuck to the important locales and did some hype shit of showing the tiles flipping over to look all frosty to show the advance of the army of the dead, then sweeping passes through Winterfell and King's Landing with the castles being put together. Coolest intro sequence of the show thus far, and a contender for coolest intro of any show I've seen.

Reactions: PoetLore
FFFFFFF AAAAHHHHH. So I got HBO on my hulu just for GOT. >___>

Man, I do not like Jon and Daenerys together. Maybe back at the beginning of the series, yes. But now I feel like she's gotten lost in becoming a conquerer, and has lost touch with all the peoples. >:[ And Sam's beautiful performance kinda drove that home. The poor poor man. T___T

That kid nailed to the wall fucking got me though. Despite me seeing his beady little blue eyes open. That shit was creepy as fuck. D:

• Sympathy & Compassion
Reactions: Spekkun
I really fucking hope the subversion thing comes back into play here eventually, because these two dweebs ending up alive and happy and together would be the worst. >:[

yeah, I agree with this. Jon is my gambler's pick for throne-winner, but I feel like he needs to die. The show's been predicated for most of its run on consequences - particularly of the fatal variety -, and ever since his resurrection, there's just been a debt to pay for both the character (who died because, quite frankly, he misplayed) and the show.

Dany is much the same, but I'm optimistic that Sam's part in the episode kicks that off.

whatelsewhatelse

Callback storytelling is always neat, especially with a show that's returning after so long. Is it just me or was the riding into Winterfell scene much cooler the first time around? I'd have to watch the first episode again to see if that's due to direction, or just nostalgia-vision.

Euron is a massive disappointment if you're a book-reader, imo, but his actor puts in a fantastic pirate performance. Cersei's disgust towards him balanced with her pragmatism is perfectly played. (Cersei the one true queen forever, please). It's unlikely the Euron character will ever be done justice in the show, but here's hoping Theon shoots him in the nuts (POETIC).

Gendry. *yawn*

wonder how the Jaime-Bran interaction is going to shake things up

ALSO SHOUTOUT TO JACOB ANDERSEN (GREY WORM) FOR FINALLY GETTING THAT MAIN CAST BILLING WOOP WOOP

Callback storytelling is always neat, especially with a show that's returning after so long. Is it just me or was the riding into Winterfell scene much cooler the first time around? I'd have to watch the first episode again to see if that's due to direction, or just nostalgia-vision.
The first one felt a lot more grand and majestic, despite the incoming group being smaller. The mix of Bran and Arya going and being hyped to see who was coming was a lot more interesting and charming than the one random kid who was a callback to their childlike wonder. That whole scene had an air of wonder and excitement to it, whereas this army riding into Winterfell was grim and foreboding. Very different scenes (minus the intentional callbacks), but I think you're right about the older one being cooler.

Euron is a massive disappointment if you're a book-reader, imo, but his actor puts in a fantastic pirate performance. Cersei's disgust towards him balanced with her pragmatism is perfectly played. (Cersei the one true queen forever, please). It's unlikely the Euron character will ever be done justice in the show, but here's hoping Theon shoots him in the nuts (POETIC).
As much as I do in fact enjoy his scummy outrageous pirate routine for the hamfest that it is, yeah, definitely a disappointment compared to the book version. On a related note, no Victarion Greyjoy in the show was a major disappointment for me too, because that dude was easily the coolest Greyjoy.

wonder how the Jaime-Bran interaction is going to shake things up
Probably not a ton tbh. It'll shake Jaime up a lot, but I'm pretty sure when everyone else is ready to throw down with the Kingslayer Bran will be like "yo, it's fine, I wouldn't have gotten my magic powers if he didn't yeet me off the tower and also this motherfucker saved hundreds of thousands of people when he shanked Dany's dad, so like... chill."

ALSO SHOUTOUT TO JACOB ANDERSEN (GREY WORM) FOR FINALLY GETTING THAT MAIN CAST BILLING WOOP WOOP
Ironic, given that he had basically no meaningful screen time this episode. :P

"You gave up your crown to save your people. Would she do the same?"
That was such a good line. I was like "mHmm."

On a related note, Bran is a creepy little opportunist, and I approve.
Bran was being plain creepy the whole episode. "I am not a Stark." Like ok, Bran. We get it. You're the three-eyed raven now but can you act normal.

Which is why I also think his interaction with Jaime won't be so exciting because it wouldn't be Bran interacting with Jaime, it would be this new Three-eyed raven. He has much bigger issues to deal with. I don't think he cares too much about Jaime.

I did like the line from Cersei from where she tells Euron if he wants a whore to go buy one but if he wants a queen he has to earn her. Granted...she slept with him like 3 minutes later but it was still a good line.

That kid nailed to the wall fucking got me though. Despite me seeing his beady little blue eyes open. That shit was creepy as fuck. D:
Yeah that was a little shocking but at the same time expected.
I didn't get the symbol they made him into. Did that have any meaning or was that just the Night King's signature?

Also, DANY AND JON FOREVER!
They'll probably both die or end up hating each other but let me enjoy this ship.

Which is why I also think his interaction with Jaime won't be so exciting because it wouldn't be Bran interacting with Jaime, it would be this new Three-eyed raven. He has much bigger issues to deal with. I don't think he cares too much about Jaime.
Well, he did tell Sam he was waiting for "an old friend" when asked why he was just lurking in the courtyard. I think that indicates some level of personal connection, but probably not anywhere near as negative as people might expect given the whole shove out the window thing. Since Bran has seen everything, and we know for a fact from some flashback things that he saw the Mad King screaming about burning them all, he's gotta know that Jaime becoming the Kingslayer was actually an act of good. All things put into three-eyed raven perspective, I figure saving a TON of people, some of whom might be vital in the fight against the army of the dead, outweighs crippling one kid. :P

I did like the line from Cersei from where she tells Euron if he wants a whore to go buy one but if he wants a queen he has to earn her. Granted...she slept with him like 3 minutes later but it was still a good line.
It was a good line, but fucking hell, it's going to be the new incarnation of that "If you can't handle me at my worst, you don't deserve me at my best" line. As with that line, this Cersei quote is going to be used by a bunch of vapid turds who are not in fact worthy of being called a queen.

I didn't get the symbol they made him into. Did that have any meaning or was that just the Night King's signature?
The symbol has been recurring throughout the series! That and also the one that looks like the Greek letter Phi. Some behind the scenes stuff from one of the showrunners explained that they were originally used by the Children of the Forest, who of course created the White Walkers, but we don't know any exact meaning to them. You can see both symbols in this image, from the obsidian cave on Dragonstone in season 7.

The Phi looking symbol was first seen in the prologue scene of the very first episode, when the ranger scouts a wildling camp and finds body parts arrayed in that formation. The spiral has been a bit more prevalent: horse parts on the Fist of the First Men were found in season 3, and in the vision Bran saw of the creation of the first White Walker there was an arrangement of stones spreading out from the weirwood tree in the same spiral pattern. There might be some more I'm missing, but they've both been present in the show from the first few seasons.

Well, he did tell Sam he was waiting for "an old friend" when asked why he was just lurking in the courtyard.
oooooh. Now this makes sense. I was like who could he be waiting for? It didn't dawn on me that it was Jaime.

It was a good line, but fucking hell, it's going to be the new incarnation of that "If you can't handle me at my worst, you don't deserve me at my best" line. As with that line, this Cersei quote is going to be used by a bunch of vapid turds who are not in fact worthy of being called a queen.
I fully agree with this.

The symbol has been recurring throughout the series! That and also the one that looks like the Greek letter Phi. Some behind the scenes stuff from one of the showrunners explained that they were originally used by the Children of the Forest, who of course created the White Walkers, but we don't know any exact meaning to them.
I thought I remembered something about the Children of the Forest. Bah. Its been two years. Can't remember it all. lol.

I thought I remembered something about the Children of the Forest. Bah. Its been two years. Can't remember it all. lol.
Haha, yep, fair enough. The only reason I had all that fresh in my mind was because I rewatched the whole series recently. 8D

I'm enjoying this read!! I'm (forgive me for this) a very new viewer of this series. In fact, I never saw one episode until Is tarted binge watching with friends about nine months ago. I almost quit watching when they killed Ned, but my friends ( who had seen all) begged me not to and I'm glad I kept going.

I feel wholly unworthy to comment on this because I don't feel even partly as invested as everyone else, but ...

I'd love to see Brienne and ANYONE get together because I adore her.

to live? Tyrion (PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE) and one...just one dragon...hopefully (though I realize that's wishing for ice in hell)

to die? Gracious they kill everyone..so maybe the throne will be vacant at the end..

On the throne? ANYONE but Bran, please

I can't really claim to have re-watched since this was my first time through, and I don't have HBO so I am going to be behind the whole season. Keep those spoilers comin, I totally don't mind.

it's all over twitter

mockery of the quote and its users is also all over twitter

it has TAKEN ON LIFE