Galleon of the Black Mast [COMPLETED RP]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Galleon of the Black Mast

[SIZE=+1][/SIZE]
Blue bellowed a laugh always trying to brighten the captain's day even amidst a hard fought battle. Some crew members may call Blue crazy for giving the captain such jest, that sooner or later, Blue's head may be on a platter for ruffling his feathers every now and again, but to Blue, the captain was not just a captain, 9lives was his friend, his family, his brother in arms. They seemed to have much in common, and both have plenty of experience over the sea, this is what Blue liked about 9lives, they could talk about anything and make it seem like the most interesting muttering in the entire great north! And most importantly, when it came to getting something done, or the essence of war itself, Blue got right down to business, and turned on a stern face for his captain and crew, he may slack off sometimes by mistake, but he certainly had a passion for his duties, and he knows deep down the captain see's that. "Cap'em, if we reach whatever destination it is that we be goin to, and I could give a damn what it is or where it is, you promise to buy me a keg affer' this is all said and done? Cuz' ya know I'd go through hell and high water for you and this ship I would. And I want ya ta' promise me I won't lose ya as my mate alrighty?"

A look of worry had been stricken across Blue's face, it seems this battle and this journey to the north has opened his eyes to what life would be like without a crew, without 9lives to man it, and without a ship to sail. He'd be in some nursing home biting his nails and blaspheming to children about the dangers of the sea. He didn't want to be THAT guy. He wanted to be the man he is now, proud, brave, rambunctious, and eager. Hell, he couldn't think of a better way to live his life.

He didn't know what the captain was gonna say in response, and frankly he didn't care. Blue just wanted some kind of tick, or nod, or any kind of recognition that 9lives would never turn Blue into an old man without a purpose, ever. Blue needed this ship and he needed this life of constant danger and tension to keep him excited. Without it, Blue was just the blind leading the blind.

As the footsteps drew closer, Rhorie caught the Captain's eye. "Hold fast, Little one." He said. Rhorie nodded before turning to face the door again. Suddenly a loud screech of pain broke the wary silence in the prison chamber. Eyes widening, Rhorie hoped that she wouldn't have to kill again. She felt sick to the stomach about it as it was. Then, as she was pondering, old Blue entered. Blue was a gunner, one of Deadeye's lot, and considered senile by quite a portion of the Cutlass' crew. Rhorie didn't think so though. In fact, she was quite fond of the old seadog, and the stories he told! They were some of her favourites! She grinned at his and the Captain's conversation. Though she wasn't sure what history the two shared, it was clear as glass that they had a lot of it.
"Shall we go up on deck?" Rhorie asked after a moment. No further sounds of battle had echoed down to the cells and no wayward Northerners had stumbled into the jail, so she assumed it would be a good idea.

Karel's body was covered with a sheen of light sweat, the air thick with smoke from the cannon below and blood that greased the deck. The battle was nearly done, a handful of the enemy left, already haggard as they were. The numbers of the dead easily were mostly the Northern Pirates, though a few were their own men, cut down by the surprise attack like the guard had been. However, now that the northern ship was now sailing for Davy Jones' locker, these pirates had no where to run to. Bracing themselves for a fight to the death, they managed a war rally and charged at the nearest opponent to them.

Karel had covered his blade with plenty of blood that day, and had already started thinking of the work that needed to be done after the battle. He was momentarily interrupted from his train of thought by an assailant, having to bring up his sword the desperate swing by his foe. Karel looked into the man's eyes, seeing nothing but fear and adrenaline as fought for his life. Karel's eyes reflected a bit of sorrow for the man as he foresaw the man's next swing, stepping to the side and letting him stumble over from momentum before cutting him down.

Karel looked around for more, but it seemed that the rest had also been killed, marking the end of the attack. A few cheers rose up as the crew of Cuttlass realized that the battle had been won overwhelmingly in their favor. Karel wiped the blood on his trouser pants, sheathing it and sighing as he realized that the real work was about to truly start. Calling out in a loud voice, he yelled, "Quit yer cheering! If you start drinking and celebrating now, we'll end up sinking to the bottom of the sea. If you're injured, go get fixed up. If not, let's start repairin the ship and cleaning up these dead bodies. Let's get a move on!"

As the crew groaned and began to move around and heave bodies overboard while putting slain crew members aside for a proper burial, Karel went to the Captain quarters only to find that he was not there. A bit puzzled, Karel talked to a few crew members before learning that the Captain was last seen heading down below to the prison quarters. Figuring that the Captain had gone to check on the prisoner, he headed over and indeed found the Captain there, along with Rhorie and Blue. "Everything alright?" Asked Karel, more asking about the prisoner rather than whether any of them were ok, obviously so by the way the Captain and Blue were joking around.

Well the purpose of the voyage wasn't so bad, just returning the princess for some cash, which is pretty much what Amilio first expected. It was some what a relief but he still had a feeling there was something else to what they were doing up here. Suddenly the hairs on the back of Amilio's neck stood up and one of the crew burst into the room with blood pouring from a laceration in his throat "¡Dios!" It was time for battle.

The first one out was
el Destello Carmesí, then pretty much everyone else was out. Amilio dove in between two of the invaders, causing himself to be surrounded by four, two facing away. Amilio rolled to his feet and pulled out his swords at the same time, spinning around twice, slicing the tendons in the knees and ankles, rising upward and slicing them open along the way. He spun through the battle ground parrying then slashing a stomach open, continuing his momentum to slash open a throat, parry again, and slash once more. He was a whirlwind of death, spinning blades, and bodies fell where ever he moved maimed or dead.

The battle continued for less than an hour. The enemy boat was sinking and many lay dead on their deck, blood was everywhere. There were some Northerner's left. Amilio wiped off his blades and sheathed them, looking around at the members of the crew that had fallen. He bowed his head, crossed himself, and said a prayer for their souls before starting to gather them up and bring the injured into the infirmary. He himself had several nicks and cuts but nothing that would hinder him from helping out. Noticing damage to the deck, Amilio kept an eye out for Jawbone and his fellow apprentice.

As the battle came to a close and the adrenaline faded from her system, Charlotte became increasingly aware of a dull throb in her hand; it intensified as she calmed. She grimaced in irritation, already knowing why it hurt. Common sense would dictate that in a duel of blades one should keep their hands out of the line of fire, lest ye end up with hooks for hands. Charlotte didn't adhere to common sense at the best of times - it went entirely out the window when she fought, and her left hand would consistently move alongside her blade to block incoming slashes and swipes, although her cutlass usually took the brunt of the impact. A brand new lattice of slices and scrapes, varying from deep, red and painful-looking to barely more than scrapes, had been carved across the palm of her hand. The decimated black glove hung uselessly from her wrist as blood oozed idly from a few of the worse cuts.

Charlotte regarded her hand cooly for a few seconds, watching as the first few droplets of blood trickled down her fingers. There were others with far worse injuries to be seen to, doubtless, and this was hardly severe enough to stop her working. It wasn't even her dominant hand, thus in her eyes it was by far less urgent on the list of things that needed done. She would deal with it properly later. For now she raised her hand to her face and licked the worst of the blood away, the metallic tang exploding over her tongue. It was hardly hygienic, but at least this way she wasn't dripping blood. The idea didn't appeal to her. Karel's voice washed over her as he yelled instructions for the crew, already presumably on his way to find the Captain. Charlotte snapped back to attention.

The floor was littered with what her mind now identified as corpses. Her nose scrunched up in disgust. She bent low to the ground and curled the fingers of her dominant hand into the collar of the nearest body's clothing. She yanked it off towards the side of the ship, mentally noting that this could indeed take a while. She slung the dead weight across the side, hearing the sickening splat seconds later as the body hit the water. The sound didn't improve her mood much, and even though she worked as methodically as she could, soon all she could think of was washing this night off her hands.

View attachment 3439

As the slow but steady clean up of the Cutlass began, the sun pushed up through the fog, melting it and giving way to a clear, cold day. All that remained of their once fierce enemy was broken pieces of the ship and sea foam and blood that floated indifferently behind them. The Cutlass, although suffering some serious cosmetic damage, was resilient as ever and riding high on a fresh wind from the north, her sails full and proud in the mid mornings sky. In the confusion and chaos, breakfast would be skipped and the crew would have to make due with whatever rations they had on hand, at least until the Cutlass was back to semi-decent order.

Under the main deck

"Aye, Blue. After this whole mess is over." Said 9lives with a jerk of his neck towards the Princess, indicating that she was at fault for the crews voyage through the desolate northern seas. " I'll make sure you get your fill of the best Rum in the south islands." His face giving nothing away about his future plans, but any sea-faring fool would gather that they would be heading south as soon as possible. "I imagine Deadeye is looking for you, tell him that I was with ya and not to serve up any unnecessary punishment."

He turned next to Rhorie "I imagine you and the other nail-pounders will have your handful today. However spread the word to the others. Extra portions of Rum for all." He shook the now empty bottle of Rum
"As for me, I shall retire to my quarters"

"Karel, you and I should go over some coordinates and make sure we didn't get thrown off course. If you would be so kind" He asked in that way that Captains always ask of their crew. It's in a way that says "Would you please? But really means 'On the double, no time to waste!'

He turned one last time to the Princess " I'll be dealing with ye, soon enough." His feelings of fascination had died, but he couldn't help the fact that she was royalty and may deserve a little better than this. He had a plan to send for her after dinner bell tonight, let her dine in his Quarters on the eve of her return to Helsink.

9lives walked side by side with Karel, across the main deck, marred with blood and gore. It was a hard sight to see, but one that had to be accepted in this life they all lived. A good portion of the slain men were his own, although he knew less than half of them by name, they were still like brothers to him. He got up the entrance of his Quarters and turned to face the crew.

"Crew of the Cutlass."
He removed his hat and took as much of a bow as his wooden appendages would allow him " Today my hat is off to you all. In the face of danger you showed stunning initiative and bravery, as well as the savagery that makes us Pirates." Without waiting for response. he turned and entered his quarters.

9Lives went straight to his rum, pouring first himself then his faithful navigator a drink. He wanted nothing more than to be alone right now, but duty always came first.

"I'll be needed a full report, Karel. And if it be so, any necessary adjustments to course should be made."

Deadeye had been walking around topside for a while as he helped get rid of the dead bodies. While he was throwing them overboard though he was lining his pockets with their equipment and valuables, after all, he was a pirate. One day he wanted to have his OWN ship and his OWN pile of treasure with a massive bounty on his head but he knew he had to start somewhere and that princess would be his major bankroll. Once all the dead bodies were thrown overboard he looked at the massive pile of weapons ranging from guns, cutlass, brass knuckles, daggers and all other sorts before a grin spread from ear to ear. He then waved over to one of the crew that was under his command and then instructed him to take the weapons to his room for cleaning and the such before he would relinquish it over if asked to.

Once his business on the main deck was over he decided to mozy on over towards the brig where he had seen blue and a few others wander off before he himself had vanished into the bellows of the ship. As he approached the brig he saw the captain walking out and heading towards the wheel of the ship giving him a congratulatory nod and smile before following after him and whispering something so that only he could hear. "Excuse me captain, i know its not mah place to suggest these matters but.... What say we give the princess a tad more freedom before we permanently clip her wings eh? Nothing too much just letting her stay in a room with one o the other mates. After all she is rather weak and frail at tah moment. I myself personally wouldn't mind having the fine lil beauty in mah room and it seems that my lil companion took a shine to her in the cells, it'd be nice to have someone keep em company while im busy being tanked."

Deadeye waited a few seconds in the silence giving a small unsure laugh before nodding his head and walking off towards the brig as he said a few last words. "Just think bout it if ya would, if not then don't even bother haha." After those last words he dipped into the brig and heard the captains announcements towards the crew. The first person he saw downstairs was Blue, then Rhorie and the boy Karel, his first instinct was to give Ol' Blue a piece of his mind but he decided not to since he seemed to have been with the captain. "Well Blue, ya seem to have been having a bit o the fun down here in the brig, Capin finally put ya away for your incessant jabbering? Ahahahah and i see you two been keepin the lass company during the battle, my you guys had it easy, i had to deal with the damn cannons flying left and right next ta me! Anywho i'll be off in the mess hall, im starving, Ill talk to tha lass in a lil while. See ya'll in the mess."

With that Deadeye was off again, it was obvious he wanted to see the princess alone rather than with a bunch of other people around.

[SIZE=+1]

[/SIZE]
Happy the captain seemed to be in a good mood after the victory and not a total prick after Blue was late to the battle, Blue decided to go to the mess hall with Deadeye and talk with the lad for a little bit about not only his own actions lately, but the current state of mind the whole gun crew seemed to have as of late. Blue knew everyone always liked to poke fun at him because of his veteran age, but he also knew that emotions had to be swept aside, even the sight of dead bodies from their fellow crewmen had to be ignored, while deep inside, Blue cared for each and every one of these people. There was a time for jokes, and then there was a time to mourn, hanging with a rough cut crew like the crew he was in, emotions were never allowed to get in the way of business and duty, and he was shameful because of this philosophy. Eventually he makes his way to the mess hall and sits side by side with Deadeye. Deadeye seemed like a jokester, but Blue knew there was a soft side in that stubborn mule somewhere.

"Now I know you ain't seem phased by all the dead chaps around the ship still being thrown overboard by the crew here, and I understand that our feelings on this here ship need ta' be bottled up, but you can't tell me it all ends with a slow ride in a bloody hearse!"

Blue bangs his fist into the table he is sitting at shaking it wildly. He cared too much for his fallen comrades to keep quiet and pretend death is natural, he was tired of crew members and their tough masks they put on to ignore the death all around them.

"I care about our crew, and I wish we could openly discuss all the fears we all hide around ere', cuz' we all have em'! But we gotta be tougher an' dirt for the captain and for the morale, and because this ideal, we can't properly remember our brethren that died in arms. Now tell me Deadeye, my matey, what the bloody shit, do you think the captain hopes to achieve in the north? I'm his good bud but even he won't tell me! Your young, your smart, and you prolly got more brains in that there head of yours than this old man ahead of his years does!"

Blue wasn't trying to be an annoyance to Deadeye, he was simply trying to make conversation, to try and make him understand that Blue wanted to know his real purpose on this ship, he wanted to know that he wasn't just a hired hand, but a trusted friend.

"Before ya' answer, I'd like ta' giff' my apologies again for not bein there on time for the gun show up deck, you know me mate, an earthquake made of fire and brimstone can't wake this old coot up! HAHA!"

Blue made his moment of laughter short and sweet. He was trying to have a serious conversation after all, but at times he can sometimes get carried away. He truly did want Deadeye to trust him, to know that he will try harder to be there in battle the very moment it begins, not just be an old slacker under the decks.[SIZE=+1]
[/SIZE]

Eben Renmar

As the adrenaline that had been surging through his veins, like a flood ripping through a low altitude town, slowed to a weak trickle, Eben took a deep breath. Blood dripped from his face, neck, chest and hands, but this didn't bother him. The dead bodies, foe and allies alike, lay scattered around like carcasses at a slaughter house, but this didn't bother him. The Nautica's Cutlass was suffering from what looked like multiple 10-20 pound cannon fire, and the work that Eben had lying ahead would be very tedious, but this did not bother him either. The only thing that was on his mind right now, was the bone on bone pain that came from his jaw, it was sending waves of squinting agony to his eyes and head. It felt like he had received a direct, cannonball shot to the face. Now, more than ever, he needed to See the Surgeon. He wasn't sure what she could do, but unless he got this taken care of he would be of little use to his fellow carpenters today.

Eben went to a near by basin and quickly washed his face and hands, watching as the pinkish water flowed from his blood soaked skin. He gave himself a good scrubbing, then dried off. Next he walked back up on deck and saw his loyal apprentices, Rohrie and Amilio.

"I received quite a beating mates, I'll be needin' to get a one on one with Leech." However, the state of his dislodged jaw had the words coming out more like 'I rereived 'ite o eating, I eeding a get un an un ith eeeech'.

As the exploding pain swam in and out of his head, he didn't know, or for that matter care, if either of them could understand him, he headed towards the Surgeons quarters. Honestly, if he wasn't in such great pain he would have put it off, Leech gave him the creeps.

The wounded weren't as many as Eben had imagined, and at least half those waiting to see Cybele had minor injuries and looked as if they were just ducking out of the work. Standing in front on him was one of the men that was under his command in the Carpenter's crew. He was holding his hand up in the air in a dramatic display. It appeared that he had a light abrasion above his wrist. Eben knew this man well, and knew that while he was a carpenter, his true forte lied within getting out of work.

"What the hells a matter with you, yer wrist be fine." It came out like 'waa t heelsmatter ooo, erst b finn'

The man stared, gap mouthed, at Eben who was staring sternly back at him. Eben didn't care so much that the man was being a lazy whore and not working, but he did care that he would get to see the Surgeon first when there was obviously little to nothing wrong with him. Eben made a gesture with his hand that said 'Get the hell out of here' The low ranked carpenter reluctantly did as he was instructed.

Eben pulled out a small flask of rum and put it to his lips, however he was unable to make the proper seal with his mouth around the bottle, so half the rum spilled out on his shirt and bloomers. He was discouraged, but never one to give up so quickly, he tilted his head back, fighting the urge to pass out cause by the sudden and intense waves of pain, and poured the strong drink down his throat. Perfect.

Rhorie hesitantly sheathed her sword. She sensed that there was no longer a battle aboard the Cutlass, and relaxed considerably. After a few deep breaths, she became vaguely aware of a dull throbbing pain in her right ankle. Shifting her weight onto it, testing, and concluded that it most definitely wasn't broken. Twisting it in a slow circle, Rhorie received a momentary sharp shock of pain, but nothing more serious. Looking closer at the offending joint, she decided it wasn't dislocated either, so by process of elimination she figured that it must be merely sprained. There would be some bruising soon, she guessed. Suddenly she realised the Captain had turned to her.

"I imagine you and the other nail-pounders will have your handful today. However spread the word to the others. Extra portions of Rum for all." Was his announcement to her. At once Rhorie felt a surge of excitement and importance. She was to give out the orders, straight from the Captain! She grinned at him and nodded an affirmative. Then, taking her leave, she half-walked, half-limped back up to the main deck, assuming her ankle had twisted oddly when she had... killed that Northerner. She took another fortifying deep breath. He would have done the same to her. She was a pirate now, it's only right she learnt how to deal with causing death, destruction, rage and general unhappiness.

Looking around, Rhorie noted the utter destruction on the surface of the ship. Massive holes had been made in the railings around the deck, as well as several risky-looking chunks missing from the masts. The deck itself, including the new planks Rhorie had put down only earlier, was soaked in blood and gore, as well as littered with corpses waiting to be thrown overboard. Luckily, no cannonballs had managed to actually penetrate the deck, so it seemed as if the damage to lower levels would be a minimum, but Rhorie needed to see for herself at some point. Cannonballs still could have entered the side of the ship and caused considerable damage to the seasoned wood, so she didn't count herself as free of work. She wondered where Jawbone, her fellow Apprentice El Torbellino and the other Apprentices were. Probably getting wounds checked or helping with the cleanup, she answered herself. Suddenly, she noticed the Master Carpenter himself, who gave her a rather garbled explanation as to where he was going, complete with pained expressions and elaborate gestures to his jaw, which looked dislocated at the very least. She nodded in assent, then moved to the edge of the deck to inspect the railings. They were smashed to almost complete smithereens, though some were whole and undamaged. A couple had their upper sections hanging from their lower with a string of wood grain. Rhorie pulled one off and inspected the damage. The break was jagged, the wood shattered upon impact from the ball. She sighed heavily. There was an awful lot of work to do.

Tabitha did not pay much attention to the captain or the other two pirates after she laid back. She'd rather not be reminded that her situation was not improving at all. She looked up at the ceiling and just started to pray for the best that she could get at this point in time. After a bit the fight above them came to an end and it seemed the the ship she was on was the victor. She glanced to the captain silently as he spoke to her before leaving but she made no move to respond, there was no point when she was stuck like she was now. She just hoped that the ship didn't fall prey to its damage at this point and was repaired before it started to sink.

Karel followed behind the Captain, being silent while the Captain gave his brief comments on the current situation before retiring to his cabin, Karel entering behind and then closing the door behind them. At this point, only Karel needed an immediate audience with the Captain to make sure they were going in the right direction, but from the look on the Captain's face he wanted it done as fast as possible. Taking the glass of rum offered to him by the captain, he sipped at it before pulling out a map of the area.

Circling an area on the map with his finger, he broke the silence between the two men, "I figure we were around here when we were attacked. I'll have to cross check our direction with the sun and then double check with the stars to make sure we're going the right way, but I can't imagine we were knocked any considerable amount off course, at least no more than what would have already happened with the fog. Fog is tricky, you can be sailing in a circle and never notice." Karel gulped down the rest of the rum before rolling up the map and storing it back to its place.

"The way I see it, the most we'll lose is half a day in our travels, maybe nothing if we were lucky. But I won't know that until I actually look at where we are. While I tend to that, how about you get some rest Captain? You seem awfully drained and pale, make sure you keep yourself steady. The crew needs you a lot more than you think and aye, I need you as well. Can't have the man who bested me on the seas getting soft before I do." Karel wouldn't say that he was particularly close with the Captain, but there was a definite level of respect between the two, given that they had duked it out on the seas.

Karel went to the door, their conversation all but done and saluted to the captain before grabbing the door and heading out. He had a lot of work to tend to, not only his own work but making sure that the crew ran smoothly. It would do greatly to ease the Captain's nerves knowing that the crew wasn't falling about. Then again, with the discipline officer who was greatly feared aboard, the crew generally behaved itself anyways.

In the Captain's Quarters

Captain Claudius 9lives often felt a lingering presents of guilt in his heart. It wasn't because of the life he lived, the pillaging, the robbing, the over all dastardliness , none of that really bothered the old sea dog. The one thing that crawled and burrowed under his skin like a summer tick, was the fact that he would never be respected beyond the ranks of his own ship. No one of any great importance would ever have anything more than fear for 9Lives. This bothered him, secretly, not so much because he wanted or needed the respect of the rich and powerful, but more so because he knew how people would remember him after he died. It sickened the old Captain.

"Aye, some rest is just what me old bones need." 9lives saw Karel to the door, before poring himself another jigger of rum. He sipped the drink, letting it linger in his mouth, relishing it's smooth, island flavor. It sent a mild flush up throughout his body, one that seemed to reach all the way from his toes (The ones he still had) to the tips of the hair on his head. Ha stood now, by the window on the port side. His quarters were grand, in a sense, the view was spectacular in the warmer months. And although this particular day was colder than well diggers backside, the view was clear and sharp. So clear, in fact, that the sea looked like a glass basin filled with the salty gray water
. Not a land mass in sight. 9Lives knew this would change soon, as the approaching Kingdom of Helsink weighed heavy on his mind.

He opened the doors to his inner chambers and addressed the two guards that stood at an ever present watch at the entrance.

"Send a man to the cell. Bring me the prisoner at once."

The Guard stood gape jaw for a moment, the Captain thought he was having a fit, with his mouth hanging askew and his eye's bulging like two over stuffed bags of booty.

"At once, need I repeat myself again?"

The Guard snapped to attention.

"Yes, sir. At once!"

Deadeye had been listening to what Blue had to say and sat there for a moment silently. After he let the silence surround his mind he chose his next words very carefully since he didnt want to offend or even make the others think lower of himself. Either way it was quite difficult for him to say it out loud rather than in his mind.

"Blue, i dont mind that you were asleep during the battle, hell i wouldn't mind if ya slept through a war. The only thing i really know about you is that your reliable and damn strong. Id rather have you with me then any twenty of the other sad sacks on board. As for the trust part, well id say i trust ya as far as i can throw ya but your damn too heavy for that amount o trust and id probably throw out my back and be like you haha. Regardless of jokes an all, i trust you and i wish i could tell you our plans but it be classified. Im sure id be privy to a life without talking if i did gab a secret to ya that ol 9lives told me to keep under the tarps if ya know what i mean..... But.... Perhaps i can convince the cap'n to allow you to join us, after all you are a valuable comrade."

It had seemed that Deadeye had been dodging the part about the dead allies with his talk of the mission while he remained silent once more. For a while all he did was drink his rum and look over at the women flirting with one or two or even giving out a small drunk induced wink or smile but at the end of his little show he turned back to Blue while finishing his rum and lowered his voice.

"Our mates that went down with the ship knew what they were getting into. We all gotta die someday Blue, surely you agree, the only difference is when we see our mateys kick it before us. It's a terrible thing to watch someone get gutted or eviscerated but it cant be helped. If i started to show compassion in the heat of battle an broke down what d'ya think the others would do? They would prolly break down too an panic. I've seen my share of death and plenty o blood be covering my hands but it'll never come off and all we can do is stay strong, doesn't mean that it don't hurt me inside. I'm sure we all do our fair share o cryin in the privacy of our cabins or elsewhere. As my pop once told me "There aint no rest for us wicked ol pirates".

With that Deadeye got up and walked out of the mess hall and went towards his room, he had been quite tired from all the battling and needed his rest for the upcoming days.

Tabitha sat alone as everything settled down and the ship was returned to it's former condition, or as close as they could get before the cold night kicked in. She knew that Helsink was just over the horizon and soon she would be back in the hands of her cruel father and his twisted way of gaining more power. She would have to think fast if she wanted to get away from the marriage again but it wouldn't be such an easy task like before. She continued to sit in silence and wait until she heard the sound of footsteps approaching her cell. She stood up for a moment and looked toward the stairs that kept her from seeing her knew company right away. It was a guard it seemed, but he had no food with him which was strange. Her usual visitors were only there to deliver food and nothing else. She took a step back form the cold metal bars and watched the man cautiously.

One of the two guards sent to fetch the prisoner stood watch, while the other inserted a rusty key into the old jail door. The long iron bars of the cell were actually cemented directly into the floor and ceiling. 9Lives had them especially designed this way to prevent any chance of escape. The ship was huge and the last thing he needed was a loose prisoner running around.

"Alright, on your feet. You're coming with us." Said one of the guards, who was really little more than an above averagely large man, chosen for the job for that very reason, with a double barrel flintlock holstered in his trousers. He grabbed Tabitha with a rough hand that was about the size of a eight pound cannon ball. "Let's go, Captain 9 lives be waitn' on you! Move!" Yelled the oaf of a man, totally unaware that he was manhandling the Princess of Helsink. He walked Tabitha out of the cell and up onto the main deck.

Eben, who was still waiting, painfully, to see the Surgeon, saw her being escorted towards the upper deck and couldn't help but laugh, even though it sent fiery waves of hurt into his head. For a lowly seafaring man like Eben, it was entertaining to see royalty being treated the same way as a commoner.

They escorted her up to the outer chamber of the Captains quarters then knocked on the large, oak door.

"We brung her jus' like you said, sir" Said the other guard, speaking for the first time. He was an equally huge man, but obviously the weaker of the two, mentally. He also had a mouth that looked like it had seen better days. The three teeth he had left stood proudly at attention, crocked and yellow, in the front of his mouth.
"Isn' there anythin' else, sir?"

The door to Captain 9lives chamber swung open.

"No, that will be all."

Captain 9Lives eyed Tabitha with the look of someone who has just opened the cage to a wild beast and was now having second thoughts. After the door was firmly shut and the guards had left, Captain 9Lives turned his back to the Princess and stared out into the open sea. All the wooden blinds were drawn and the panoramic view inside his quarters was breathtaking to say the least.

"I have always loved the sea. It has been my home for as long as I can recall, not that I had much choice, but this is indeed the life I would choose had I been granted one."

He had his hands behind his back and was holding his wooden stub with his left hand, the same way a two handed man might clasp his hands together behind his back.

"Would you like a drink, your Highness?"

For the first time, there was no sarcasm in The Captains voice. He was sincere in his words, as well as his offer.

Tabitha didn't have much of a choice as the two giants appeared and grabbed her roughly, pulling from her cell and guiding her to the deck above. For the first time in a long while she was able to see the sun, even if it was on the horizon as it set...or rose? She had not bed informed of the time of day and it was even harder to tell since there was always somebody up at every hour. She looked around the deck and took noticed of the damage, or bloodstains really. The sight of unmoving bodies made her a little uneasy but she was not new to the site of death, one must do what they must to survive after all.

The sight of death and blood did not last long as she was dragged across the deck and taken to a large door. For a moment she figured they were moving her to a different place of imprisonment as they fixed the damage that happened below but when the captain opened the door she knew she was in for something completely different. Glared at the old as she was shoved inside and the door was closed behind her, leaving her stuck with the very man who had ruined her chance at freedom. She stood still near the door, making no move to enter in further or try to escape. Her eyes looked toward the sea almost instantly as she was able to relax and see something other than the wood and metal of a cage.

When the captain spoke she looked to him curiously, wondering what he planned to do with her in his private quarters. She certainly wasn't exactly attractive enough to get his attention. She was far to young for the old fool and extremely dirty from spend such a long time in a nasty cell. She probably didn't even attract a rat at this point. When he was done she looked at him for a moment longer before look back to the see.

"I would...Thank you." She said simply as she stood there.

9lives poured her a drink, again reaching for his best Caribbean rum. You had to hand it those islanders, thought 9lives, off in their own world, detached from the main contents, and still making some of the best booze around. Privateers, like 9lives, would gladly go well out of their way to obtain some of the delicious spirits, and by hook or by crook ( Usually a bit of both) he would have his rum!

He let the light brown liquid fill the glass, giving the bottle a slight twist as he lifted it back up. He offered her a seat by waving his wooden arm towards the leather chair that sat just in front of his desk/liquor cabinet. Then he sat himself, sipping his own glass of rum as the boat rocked and swayed defiantly against the afternoons tide.

He studied her for a moment, like a naturalist studying a new breed of bird, choosing his words at the same time admiring her. The show of defiant attitude she had displayed during the battle, while locked away no less, had opened up the Captains eyes. It seemed that being born into power and riches did not always make a person weak, as he had previously believed.

He shifted his gave now, again staring out at the ocean.

"This is not a pretty life. We are a reckless bunch; nomads, thieves and some, if not all of us murders. If our..... relationship."

9lives put heavy emphasis on the word relationship, drawing it out, given it the laughable respect it deserved

"Isn't enough proof of how underhanded I am, personally, I don't know what is. I know that you don't want to return to Helsink, but there is no life for you out in the world on your own. Please don't think to badly of me for making the choices I had to make."

The captain was referring to taking her captive under false pretenses.

Tabitha watched as he poured her a glass of something, the brown liquid giving off a look to be on the potent side. She accepted it anyway however, she had barely gotten anything to drink since she boarded the Cutlass so something to fill her dry throat was heaven sent in her eyes, even if a devil of sorts was pouring it. She walked slowly toward the seat that he offered and sat down quietly, taking her own drink and sipping it slowly. She was not one for alcohol but at a time like this she could not afford to be picky. She sat silently as he spoke, his words having no effect on her. She looked up at him as she set her drink to the side and sat up straighter.

"Captain, though I wish I could think better of you you haven't exactly given me a reason to do so. I was perfectly fine in the south as well, I had a job and a place to stay, there was even a chance that I would have been promoted, so don't tell me that there is not life for me in the world because before you came along I had one." She said calmly, though her gaze showed that she would rather rip him a new one if she could. "Now did you have anything else you wanted from me? Certainly you didn't pull me from my cell to try and apologize."

She took another sip from her glass, a little greatful now that it was alcohol. She wasn't sure if she could keep her temper if she was sober...

9lives nodded, seeing as he was getting nowhere with his words alone, decided to take a different approach. The road less traveled, especially to a dominating captain who was used to getting his way. He understood the awkward state of their conversation, and nothing he could say would redeem him. He also realized the impact of what he was doing, taking a very large risk, as captain, by appearing weak in the eye's of an outsider, but sometimes certain things inside a person control him to act in a way that will suit his own immediate needs. Everything else takes second place, for a short time, as things are set straight. The Captain, old and wise, knew this to be True. He gestured towards the door.

"If you wish to go, go. You're no longer behind a cell door. If you wish to go back to your cement floor and gruel, be my guest."

He slugged down the last of his Rum, like a man might do at a bar just before closing time.

"The guards are just outside the door, they will be happy to take you back to your 'quarters'."

A hint of sarcasm was slicing back into his voice, strong and fierce as it had been in the underbelly of the ship the night of the battle.

"However, let me offer you the option of having an early supper here with me. And believe me, Princess of Helsink, Grule will NOT be on the menu. The choice is yours."

Status
Not open for further replies.