From The Ashes

Status
Not open for further replies.
8484568804_87e55a5937_b.jpg

An exterior of a rotting prison beneath the darkened skies of the doomed world, paint obviously peeling and concrete cracked. Roach skittered around the area, making the disgusting place their new home. The air was stagnant and filled with the odors of sweat, blood, as well as the pungent smells of urine and defecate. There were rows upon rows of cell doors, all of them full, starving slaves, tortured prisoners, forced breeding stock, and the cannibalized 'livestock'. Every last one of them trapped, a wolf sat in his cell alone, his cell mates now cracked bone, spattered blood painted the walls around, dried up to stay after weeks turned to years. Smears of blood caked his fur, staining it a crimson color, hunger did strange things to people but to insatiable wolf was nightmarish. So many years he had been a slave, normally thrown out to serve as a night guard to defend against the mutated beasts on the surface. Night was approaching once against, it was almost time again, he had never come into contact with the monsters of the surface and he hoped he'd never have to. "Come on now dog! It's time for you to protect your masters!" Spoke a thick puerto rican accent, as his cell was opened and a ketch pole quickly moved toward him, the flexible weaved wired wrapped around his neck as he was dragged from his cell. Every time, they always did this it was all so, demeaning for him, to pulled down the line of cells like a true dog, dragged up the steps and finally flung out of the reinforced steel door to await the approaching night.

It was nearing evening and though Minami hated being away from her shelter when it became late, today she had decided it was necessary to be here.

The compound she was told about was worse than she had expected and, for a pessimist like Minami, that said a lot. It smelled like fesces and decay, blood and rot and basically looked and smelled like the pits of hell all together.
The stories about the hybrids being kept here as slaves had surprisingly urged her to come see for herself. Usually matters like these were ignored, but being a hybrid herself she could not help but feel drawn towards the building.

It wasn't dark enough yet for her to hide in the shadows surrounding the building, so she remained perched on one of the corners of the rooftop for now, body flat against the stone.
She glanced along the edge curiously, only to see some kind of canine being thrown outside before the men retreated.

With the men inside and away from the entrances, obviously afraid of creatures that lurked outside, she prowled along the edge of the rooftop until she reached a small wall she could jump down to to look inside. Jumping to the ground would have been easier, but Minami refrained from it. Not that she would ever admit it, but being part feline made her skittish around dogs. She secretly feared them sniffing out her feline side and attacking her for it.

Satisfied with having a semi-high wall to sit on, which was in her eyes high enough to evade the "dog" she thought had been thrown outside, she perched on the stone ledge to peer inside the horrid building.

• Love
Reactions: Stryder
The wolf stood out, the dusk quickly morphed into night, shrouding the prison and the buildings surrounding it. He was by himself out here always, he could see what the humans couldn't, smell what they couldn't, hear what they couldn't, and more importantly to them, take pain like they couldn't. He brought his nose into the air, picking up an odd scent that made his fur stand on end and his nostrils flare slightly, his felt his claws subconsciously begin to protrude from his fingertips, his pupils contracting as he honed in on the scent. The canine's ears were at attention before he took off in the direction of a scent, he didn't know, this could have been a scout for a raid party, he had to see who it was before killing, maybe they'd make better food though. Through a quick series of movements he scaled up the wall, peeking his head over his eyes got wide, almost as if they'd pop out of his head from surprise, it was someone like him, different. He was merely inches away from whoever this was and he was just frozen, unable to move away or keep climbing.

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Drakel
"Hey! Ray you alright down there?!" Crimson took this as he had decided on trusting him. He took to the shadows to get closer and popped up about three feet from the man and drew his bow, pointing it toward the sound. "Glad to see you decided on trusting me. Now, shall we take a look at what they are guarding?" Looking at the man, he could tell that he was one of military, "Call me Crimson by the way, who might you be?" Hearing the steps get closer, he focused on the sound and waited to see if anyone would appear. Even with his bow being silent, he didn't know what kind of weapon the man was using, other than the knife he had used. Hoping that he could keep the forces back enough, he pulled several arrows and held them in his hand, with one on the string. The other three he had pulled were sitting in his left hand, more in his palm than anything, and he quickly made a check that his sword was within reach and able to slide easily.

Liz had just finished talking to the man in front of her. She didn't know why he wanted to know her story, but it was a nice reprieve from the silence, even if she hated him. She'd been captured by a group of slave traders while trying to raid their camp for supplies. The man in front of her laughed when she finished her story with a threat.

"Oh! I'm so worried." Liz felt like she could feel the sarcasm rolling off of him, or maybe it was the lack of water. He laid a hand on her knee. "We'll be rid of you soon, sweetie." His hand was sliding up her thigh, slowly making it's way further along. She was helpless to resist, being tied down.

Liz recoiled from the man, growling softly. "I'll reserve a special death for you."

He laughed again, leaning forwards. His hand began to travel up her side, reaching up to her face. He cupped her face in his hand. "To tell you the truth, I'm gonna miss ya. You were so much fun to play with." He leaned forwards more, his mouth against hers. His lips traveled across her cheek and down to her neck.

She opened her mouth and clamped her jaws onto his neck, her teeth tearing into the flesh. He screamed, wrenching his neck away from her teeth. He held a hand against the wound as blood pulsed out, gushing down his chest.

Liz smiled maliciously, spitting blood and skin onto the floor. "Still gonna miss me, sugar?" She put as much venom into this last word that she could.

With a yell, the man backhanded her, causing her head to snap to the side. "I'll make sure you're bought by someone who will make your life hell. You will regret this, wench!" He spun around and rushed from the room, slamming the door behind him. In his anger, he forgot to lock the door.

Liz watched as the door slowly swung itself back open. Using her claws, she went back to work on cutting through the ropes. She had been working on it for about a day, if her approximation of the time was correct.

I shall leave it off here until Liz is rescued.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Minarawr
The situation inside the building was about as bad as Minami had smelled earlier. She was gazing into an empty cell it seemed, but the splattered blood on the wall and carpet of fesces on the floor made it clear somebody had been housed here.
The putrid scents were so strong that they actually made her eyes water and it wasn't long until she had to cover her nose with the scarf around her neck.

She was about to leave, deciding she had seen enough for one day, when she heard a faint sound. Looking to the side she froze as she saw the "dog" from before staring at her from the side.
Only, it wasn't a dog.
She hadn't realized it before, but the dog was a hybrid, like herself, but on a much higher scale. Where she only had a tail, ears, sharp nails and the eyes of a feline, his body was completely covered in fur. He had a muzzle and everything. It was the first time Minami saw someone with so much animal traits.

She forced herself to lose interest in the hybrid's peculiar appearance and flipped back onto the rooftop, crouching down low and ready for an attack. She had found a knitting needle earlier and held it in her hand as a weapon.

The wolf climbed up as the unknown hybrid backed away, standing up at his full height, his massive body towering over her with ease. His eyes followed her motions, watching her retrieve something, what it was he didn't know but it looked as if was preparing to attack him. In reaction to her he bared his teeth, growling at her dangerously, as if to tell her to back off. "Why are you here?" He asked through a deep tone, his eyes fixed on her.

• Bucket of Rainbows
The male seemed able enough to climb up to her, she had hoped he would be unable to, but it seemed luck was not on her side. She backed away a bit more as he towered over her at his full height and repressed a hiss.

She blinked a bit when he spoke, having expected an attack right away. 'I was just looking... heard about this place a lot.' she answered as she straightened out.
'What will you do, rat me out to those men? Get me captured?' she asked defensively.

Around the time the stranger had linked up with Wilson was busy patting down his kill, quickly collecting any useful things that could be looted. There were simple things every survivor had; gas mask filters, some old food, and ammunition. What the ranger was interested in was those filters and rounds and a pair of eyes eyes shot up to the newly met ally who had stepped forward.

The ranger was silent at first, but then he stood up and nodded to the man, wiping off the blood on his blade with the jacket of his dead enemy. "The name's Wilson. I can explain more when we're not in danger." He didn't say much about himself other than a name, but his ranger token hung around his neck in plain sight. He was right though, the voices and sounds of debris crunching under the weight of shoes and boots were not far away. It wouldn't be long before the bodies or they were discovered. The time to act was now, and the ranger took up that demand with a nod to the stranger before putting his knife away to draw out his revolver, his left finger rising up to his lips to imitate a shush motion.

The small search party had sure covered ground while the two had their brief conversation. It seemed they were closing in on their location now, some on edge while others looked more laid back as if killing was apart of every day life. "I swear to god Ray if I find you sleeping again I will have your head!" The sounds of movement were getting closer, and the ranger had chosen to step into the shadows with the revolver ready to take a life.

The male seemed able enough to climb up to her, she had hoped he would be unable to, but it seemed luck was not on her side. She backed away a bit more as he towered over her at his full height and repressed a hiss.

She blinked a bit when he spoke, having expected an attack right away. 'I was just looking... heard about this place a lot.' she answered as she straightened out.
'What will you do, rat me out to those men? Get me captured?' she asked defensively.
He tilted his head slightly when she questioned him, he knew he would have to report this visitor to his 'masters'. He shuddered somewhat as memories flashed in his mind, constant interrogations and tortures for failing to do as he was told. He couldn't live with himself knowing that he put someone else in the hell he was going through now, maybe she could help him. An iron collar around his neck and shackles on his wrists, he couldn't spend another night in that glorified concentration camp. "No, you're going to help me. And just remember if you say no, I'm very hungry..." He said with a toothed grin, his claws sinking back into his fingers.

• Bucket of Rainbows
Minami stood silently as he seemed to think about what to do. She wasn't sure what he was thinking, so she kept the knitting needle near her in case he suddenly lashed at her.
She wasn't sure how mobile he was, but she wouldn't take any chances. For all she knew he was faster than she was.

His sudden statement made her blink and lift a brow, her defensive demeanor vanishing for a moment.
'Excuse me?' she asked, looking at him a bit surprised.
She snorted lightly at his threat and slowly walked over to him, assessing the chains. 'You look strong enough, couldn't you just break the chains?' she asked with a light, wary huff as she used her needle and a little pin to pick the lock.

Token. Ranger Token. He was with a Ranger. Paying attention to where the Ranger had disappeared to, he prepared himself. He used his torn cloak to provide hiding while he looked what he needed from the man, grabbing his weapons so that way he could hide them later. This next kill will be the second person I've killed since that day. They aren't much different than hunting deer and rabbits, you hit them in the throat and they go down. His slight insanity was starting to set in, and he was looking toward the fight that was bound to happen.

Within minutes after the two found cover and temporary safety the group of bandits arrived to find the bodies. The majority didn't seem to be emotionally effected by the loss, but there was a shift in mood. One of the targets, the one who had been shouting turned to the group and started shouting orders.

"Spread out and find the bastards. I want their bodies to be a canvas for my knife!" Their 'leader' barked, and the group began to spread out. It wasn't long until someone got too close to where the ranger was hiding and when that happened the anthro rose up from the shadows with the pistol raised above his head, and the sickening sound of a handgun bashing against the skull could be heard. That is when the crowd turned to who was standing, and that is when the fight officially began.

Guns rose and Wilson shot one of the bandits, but he wasnt quick enough to dispatch them all. A shot went off and a bullet pelted his vest, causing him to grunt and fall back from the velocity from the round. Fortunately there was a broken part of a cart to preserve the ranger, but the remainding opposition quickly closed in on him, to either capture or kill him.

Moving quickly, Crimson stood from his hiding place, and release the three arrows he had near him, killing three targets. He slung his bow across his back and drew his sword, slowly walking toward the guards that were moving in on the Ranger, "Here kitty kitty kitty, come find where I got my name...... here kitty kitty kitty" he said as he slowly walked to the guards, and as they noticed him talking, ran forward and began hacking away at them. "Ranger, my friend, learn quickly, for this is where my name was born." He called as he fought.

When the remaining were dispatched, he walked over and pulled the man up. "Did that bullet pierce?" Crimson had heard the gunshot and he realized that this ranger was no ordinary person. "Your vest I mean."

Wilson readied his weapon, yet he never had to shoot again as his unexpected comrade stepped forward and dealt with the threat. He could hear the man call out to him as he propped himself up on his elbows and took the time to catch his breath, recovering from the wind knocked out of him. Once Crimson finally went to him the ranger was in a fighting condition once more, unzipping his jacket to feel under his vest for any wounds. Fortunately he felt no blood, and the adrenaline pumping inside him spared him from the pain he would've experienced from applying pressure to a bruise and possibly fractured rib, but Wilson was confident no internal damage was done. "I.. I am fine." The ranger replied, holstering his revolver to grab his rifle. This encounter wasn't the end of it, and the gunfire has probably alerted the others. "Lets get going, shall we? And.. Thanks for the help." With that the anthro pushed on, trembling breaths escaping him with each two steps he made.

The blockade wasn't far, and shouting could be heard as shadows could be seen made by the light of a fire. There were possibly six hostiles ahead, and they were about to hit them with small numbers and limited ammunition.

L'Enfant station
-​
Selling the last bit of his ammunition, a sigh could be heard leaving Fillip's lips. He had been in the market and owed multiple people some valuable goods, the only way being to pay them was with his own ammunition. Slowly, Fillip made his way up and out of the metro station where he was greeted by a bullet flying past his head. Placing a hand on his face he brought his visor down and prepared for the worst. Upon seeing what seemed to be a ranger and citizen talking, he sighed and shook his head. Looking down at the dead bandits then back at the pair that were talking, he smiled. "It seems you two need help, am I correct? If not, ill be on my way." He was not one to just walk away from people that could possibly be in danger, even if that meant placing himself into the fray, and with no ammunition aswell... (Sorry for the short post.)​

"Don't mention it." As a new face walked up and asked about needing help, he looked him over. "I'd say sure, if you have ammo or have a blade of some kind." Upon saying this, he reached over his shoulder and felt for arrows, and he could only find two. "I don't have many arrows left, how is your ammo count Ranger?" He asked as he turned to look toward their objective. He didn't know what it was, but something about this gang of thugs seemed to be off, and no matter what he was going to get to the bottom of it.

The ranger lookes over his equipment as he listened to the two, one of the voices being new to him. Upon hearing the inquiry about weapons and ammunition Wilson glanced between the two then sighed. "Only what's in this rifle and a couple more rounds.. The revolver has a good reserve though." The anthro replied as he let go of his rifle, allowing it to hang by the strap as he went over and knelt down next to one of the men he had shot. He then proceeded to collect whatever the dead man had, knowing a dead man didn't need his bullets nor his equipment. Unfortunately none of the bullets were compatible for his weapons and his eyes shot around the fresh bodies. "These guys should have what we need, but time isn't on our side. Surely every minute we give them is another minute they have to prepare."

"Calm down, they are unlikely to pose much of a threat, you are a ranger after all. As for the dead, any rounds compatible for my weapon?" He asked and pushed his visor back up so he could get a clear look. Moving up to one of the bandits he picked up a bag and emptied it onto the ground, its contents being junk. "Nothing useful it seems. As for me, would you two care if I tagged along and provided support? I need a group, my last "friends" threw me aside after I payed them what I owed, and you of all people should know how dangerous the ruins are." Tilting his head waiting for an answer, he pushed his visor back down. "Before you say anything like, 'But we barely know you!' Let me say that I can provide plenty of things in the long run. With the proper equipment I can fix your weapons, and even add onto them."

"Then why don't you prove your helpfulness, tag along and get up some support as we clear this group out, then we can talk after." Crimson slung his bow over his shoulder again and drew his sword, pulling up his hood and moving toward the shadows. "I will follow you Ranger, as for you, I don't know what your close range capabilities are, but shall we?" He slid into the shadow and allowed it to engulf him, nearly concealing him from view. He looked ahead, Well, if we have three of us, and about six enemies, that would mean that we have a fifty-fifty chance of getting out. I like those odds.

Status
Not open for further replies.