Friends of Harmonica Town

He looked at her curiously, adding, "Oh...Should I tell you about the seeds I brought? I brought turnips this time, but I can get you different types...I just figured turnips tend to be easy for beginners. They grow quickly in any type of soil, and it's the right season for them." He looked at her as she took a look at the book, looking over her shoulder. "Ah, that's a good one. It can be pretty useful and interesting."

Kieara smiled. "That sounds like a great idea." She said and listened. "Thanks. I'm glad I can start with something easy." She said to him. She feared she had no green thumb.

He chuckled, smiling a bit to her. "Starting small is the best way to go with it. After you're used to it, you can go to harder things. If you want something different, potatoes aren't too hard either...But I think you should wait a while before going to, say, strawberries."

Kieara smiled and nodded before falling silent. She wasn't sure what else to say. She was content happy, but didn't know what he wanted to do from here.

Rory was a bit uncertain as well, but the awkward silence wasn't really his cup of tea. "Oh! I almost forgot...We didn't decide a pick up time yet for the shipping bin, right? Ah...And if there's anything you need me to get for you, just leave me a letter in there with the shipment. I'll come every day at the time you choose...I'm gonna say late is probably better. Farm work, especially at the start, takes a lot of time. I can probably take care of it towards the end of the night." He smiled to her, walking towards the bare kitchen. "It's not good that you don't have much to do here yet...I'll try to bring you something to eat later. It's bad to work too hard without eating properly..." That was when he was reminded. "Ah, right! You haven't met most of the town yet- just a few people, right? Should we go around the area? What you've seen was only the main town area and your farm area. There's the church too, and of course the mining district and the fields, which have two other farms too. You'll go there a lot for farming supplies."

Kieara smiled and stood. "that sounds like a good plan." she said to him, but kept her distance as she did before.

Rory didn't fully notice her distance, and instead held a hand out. "C'mon, it's better we don't get separated. It's a big area. Where should we go first? Flute Fields is where the two farms, Marimba Farm and Horn Ranch, are...The forest is also there, if you want to find lumber. Over in the Garmon Mine district, you'll find the general store, carpenter's, the blacksmith...Oh, and there's an accessory shop there too. And, as you'd expect from the name, the mine. They're in opposite directions, so we should go to one first and then turn back to the other."

She came over to him at him offering his hand. She took it. She then smiled and blushed. "Either one is fine."

He smiled easily, grasping her hand easily. Leading her to the door, he held it open for her. "We'll start with the fields then first. I'll take you to the mine district afterwards...But it might be more helpful to know where to get crop seeds and such. The other will be important, but...Starting off usually takes time, so you might not be rushing to the other shops right away."

Kieara nodded to him. She smiled but as they stepped outside the sky was dark and grey. Something felt different about the land. It was all too still. And the ocean was perfectly still. No wind either. The bells had been lost and there was no wind to sail away from their island and ship things.

Rory was surprised to find that there was something strange going on. "It's almost like nature...is in a standstill..." He didn't quite know what was going on, but there was something that bothered him distinctly. Rory wasn't known for much about himself, however there was a time he'd claimed able to see nature's spirits, the harvest sprites. He was a strong believer in the harvest goddess- and by golly, this was a time he needed to talk to her. "On second thought...Let's go to the mining district. I want to check Goddess Pond." His face held a clear distinction from usual- he normally didn't properly show his emotions, but his distraught expression was clear. "Something's wrong. Something's badly wrong here...I'm sure the Harvest Goddess will have an idea of what's going on."

Kieara frowned. "What's going on rory?" she asked as she followed him. "I'm scared." she said seeing his face.

He held her hand slightly tighter out of natural instinct, smiling to her. "It'll be fine. I'm sure the Harvest Goddess can tell us what's wrong." He looked over at her curiously. "Do you know much about the Harvest Goddess and the power of nature? I don't know what it's like where you come from." He began walking, meanwhile, trying to have her follow him carefully. "They say there are five elements in nature...Fire, water, earth, wind and spirit. The Harvest Goddess and the Harvest Sprites are said to help keep nature's power at bay, and balanced."

Kieara listened to him and nodded feeling reassured by him tightening his hand. She held onto him and followed. "No, i've never heard of it." she waited. "Is she real?"

He listened carefully, thinking it over as he lead her to the mine district. So wherever she was from, she hadn't heard of the Harvest Goddess- that was an interesting fact, but what was more interesting was when they got to the suspension bridge that held the farm district and the mine district together. "Goddess...Please tell me my eyes are fooling me and the bridge isn't broken..."

Kieara frowned when she saw the bridge. "What do we do now?" She looked down the chasm at the trecherous cliffs and deep water at the bottom. It wasn't moving, just deep. She didn't know what was going on, but she didn't like it.

He paled slightly from her response- so it wasn't his imagination? It was at times like this he wished that a harvest sprite would stay near him, like they'd supposedly done in his past. He shook his head, looking at her. "I'll take you back to the farm for now...I should talk to the Mayor to see about getting the bridge fixed. Unless I can find Bo first-"

As if on cue, a young man entered the scene and saw the broken suspension bridge. His hair was blond, and he had bright eyes, and seemed a bit on the younger side. He had a utility belt, and seemed very much like a carpenter- however, he was missing a toolbox. "Oh no...This is bad. I can't get back to the shop. And I can't find my toolbox..." He turned to see Rory and Kieara. "Oh, Rory! And...Who's this?"

"This is Kieara. She's taking over the farm near here." Rory replied. He looked at Kieara. "This is Bo. He's one of the apprentices at the Carpenter's." Looking back at Bo, he smiled. "I'll find your toolbox so we can get the bridge fixed." His glance returned to Kieara yet again. "Want me to bring you home first?"

Kieara frowned. His panic was seeping into her as well. She spoke. "That's alright, I will help you look." she said not wanting to leave Rory now that she was scared, but also wanting to avert this crisis.

Rory's discomfort seemed to soften, much to his own surprise. The fact was, he was actually a bit too nervous to be alone at the time- his worry of course was a bit hard to decipher to him even, but the fact was that her offer to help seemed to ease his fear. He was able to give a soft smile at that point, holding her hand again. "Well then, let's go look for it. I bet the mayor will have a clue."

"I'm kind of hungry, too. Can you get me a snack?"

Rory shook his head with a laugh, smiling and agreeing to it before looking to Kieara. "Let's start by going to the two farms to introduce you- I know what Bo wants already. We'll need to buy it from both...Then we'll go check in with the mayor and come back. A triangle. Sound good?"

"That sounds okay." she nodded to him. Bo's favorite snack was strawberries and milk. Kieara wasn't aware of this though. She was rather shy when meeting people, so she didn't know how this would work with all of these people, but she'd try.