Freedom's Tribe

Momma sighed and ran her fingers through his hair, as she sipped her beer. "One of these days, Ralphie, you'll learn to start off slow. You know the bad situation these girls have come from. Sometimes the best thing to say is nothing at all, and just, you know, be there for them," she counseled gently.

In all the years he'd been a member of the tribe, Ralphie had grown a lot in some ways, but still struggled to keep up in others. He was known as a loner and socially awkward with just about everyone but Momma. She'd taken the time to really get to know him and to help bring him out of his shell. He still had a long way to go in growing up, but Momma almost wished he'd stay being her little boy. They all seemed to grow up and move on, and while she was glad for them, she couldn't ignore the fact that it made her wish for a child of her own again.

Her thoughts drifted as she continued to play her finger through his hair. But at her age, there just weren't any men in the group she was attracted to, and she couldn't afford the time to be pregnant and have a baby in these times, with her work. Momma sighed again.

"Come on, it's a nice night, let's take these drinks outside and relax a bit..."

"Cut off? Me? Oh noes. How will I ever sleep tonight?" She asked with a devilish grin of her own as she slipped the bar tender an extra Fiver, gripping the bottle of Whiskey tighter in one arm, and chuckling. "Well, in order to cut me off, Sebastian, you'll just have to catch me before I get to my room. See you later!" She was a blur of speed just then, only her dark hair flying behind her could be noticed as she headed with purpose towards her room, which happened to be close to the bar, upon request.

She pitied Sebastian then, for thinking he could catch her -and- pry the bottle of whiskey out of her hands! Men! They were slower than snails sometimes!

Fast hands! That woman had damn fast hands, taking the bottle back before Sebastian had a chance to use height to his advantage and hold it out of her reach. Away Reyanna scooted, no doubt heading for her room to try and hide. Sebastian sighed and rolled his eyes at the bartender, who simply laughed and shook his head.

...seven, eight, nine...

Sebastian counted to ten, giving Reyanna a head start before slipping off the bar stool and heading in the direction of that woman's room. Residence for the adults was all along one lengthy hallway. As Seb strolled along, he remembered finding this bunker with Momma, and how the hallway had been just a bit shorter. It'd taken him and four other strong lads a good year to extend both the hallway and the amount of rooms. It was a lot of work but worth it if it meant more people could reside here within the Tribe.

Reyanna's room was one of the first doors upon entering the hallway. She had claimed it was to be closer to the bar but Seb figured it was because she didn't want to feel trapped on the other side of the deadend hallway. He tried the handle first, finding it locked of course. So he reached up and plucked a bobby pin from where it sat tucked into his hair behind his right ear, working the lock with it until he heard a click! and the door popped open.

Striding inside, Sebastian shut the door with his foot and crossed his arms over his chest. "You have one chance to hand that bottle over before I take it from you by force." The grin on his face clearly told Rey he wasn't in the slightest angry.

"Hold that thought, Seb." Reyanna said, as she downed the bottle until there was only an inch of alchohol left! Now she was definitely tipsy! "Okay. No need to use force sir, here's the bottle back." She rolled it with the lid on, towards hisfoot, giggling at him on occasion.

She definitely needed the alchohol tonight. It left her in a happy mood she rarely ever got to feel, and if that caused alchoholism, oh friggen well. There were worse things in life than getting slightly drunk, especially if it was just before bed, and she didn't like sleep in the first place. That was where Luca and several males from various brothels haunted her now.

The less dreams she had about them, the more she could mentally recover. But usually when she messed with Seb, she was just fine anyway. She loved to push that man's buttons! he had so many of them.

"Rey!"

Sebastian was momentarily stunned by the woman's actions, mouth agape as he watched her chug back the whiskey like it was nothing but harmless apple cider. He took a step foward but by then the bottle was already rolling clumsily toward his feet. Still with a look of disbelief on his face, he stooped and picked up the bottle, holding it by the neck as he inspected the remains. "You just drank, like, five shots in one go!"

He frowned, knowing that Reyanna was a bit of a light weight when it came to alcohol, despite what she tended to think, and the morning was going to be one hell of a time for her. Though he acted surprised by her actions, he really wasn't. Rey had been through a lot, just like him, and her way of escaping at times was to drown all of the bad memories inside her head. Seb would often workout in the small exercising room because his worries and memories often led to his frustration and anger.

Setting the bottle down on the floor by the door, Sebastian couldn't help but feel for Rey, even if he knew tomorrow was going to be spent holding that woman's hair while she clung to the toilet bowl. "You're such a brat, Rey. Punishing time!" Striding across the room, he pounced on top of her, struggling to put her in a headlock. "What will it be this time? Wedgie? Face in my armpit?" he teased with a cheesy villain's cackle.

"Neither, cause I'll bite you if you don't let go of my head you bully!" She snerked, sneaking her teeth towards his arm. She had really sharp teeth, and wasn't afraid to use them, even on poor Sebastian if she felt like it!

Really though, she was always glad for moments of just the two of them goofing off. It put happier memories in her mind, so she didn't have to wonder if her parents were still around, wondering if their only daughter was alive or not. Or a million other worries that plagued her conscience.

"Yes Momma." Ralph nodded at her advice. It was similar to what she had told her before. In fact, it was nearly exactly the same as the thing she told him last time.

"I'll remember it. Your advice that is." At the suggestion that they would go out to enjoy the night air, Ralph moved his beer bottle away and started to worm his way out from under his APC. It took him a minute to do so and he streached as he stood up, before bending over and picking up his beer bottle. "After you, Momma."

She smiled and headed out through the small door next to the huge rolling garage door. There were no chairs or benches outside, but there were plenty of smaller flat rocks for folks to lounge around on. Momma scaled up the closest one, using one hand to balance herself, careful not to spill her beer. She still had two more bottles in her cargo pockets, and she set them next to her on the rock. If Ralph didn't take a second, she'd drink them both. Three beer nights were that silent evidence that there was much more going on behind that flawless and encouraging smile. She only shared those darker thoughts and tears with Seb, and even then not often.

Tonight, she just felt worn out and tired. She couldn't remember the last time she'd had a day to relax, and it was starting to wear on her as she got older.

Leaning back against a higher part of the rock and stared up at the stars silently as she tipped the bottle up to her lips again.

Ralph followed Momma closely as she walked outside, leaving his APC for later. It would take a long time to get all the sand out. A very long time.

When Momma climbed up onto the rock, Ralph followed her, his long frame helping him up a bit. He did slip a few times on his sand covered shoes but he made it up safely. He sat down next to her, half empty beer bottle in hand. It helped him just to hold it. When he got more than one beer in him... Well, that was when bad things happened.

He leaned back with his Momma and looked at the stars, a childish question comming to him. "Momma, how many stars are there?"

"Bite me? Hah!" Sebastian laughed, though he loosened his grip on Reyanna enough to let her escape. "I'm immune to your bites, Rey. You've done it enough!"

Suddenly he flashed back to a time when Reyanna was still very wary of men. And although she had followed Seb around like a lost puppy, if he attempted to get too close to her... Well, she would bite and kick and scratch. He chuckled, remembering how he'd finally managed to give her a hug only to have his arm bitten so hard it ended up bruised. At that time, she was just like a cat who would roll onto its back and exposed its belly for a tummy rub, only to lure the human hand into a trap of teeth and claws.

Sebastian could only snicker as he lingered on the fond memory a second longer... And then he threw himself on top of Rey, squashing her as he flopped around and rolled. "Hmmm. This bed is lumpy, Rey!"

Squirm, squirm.

"Oww... it's cause you're hippo-butt is squishing me, Seb!" She screeched, struggling to throw him to the floor, but laughing. Any one else who'd have tried this move would have been stabbed multiple times with a sharp pointy dagger, in their eye! And she would have regretted nothing. But since it was Sebastian...

She made another evil move to get him off her, by finding every tickle spot on his body that she knew of, grinning like a devil. She'd teach this dork yet! "Shouldn't squish meee." She teased, squirming vainly to roll out from under him.~

Hearing Reyanna's reply, Sebastian burst out laughing! "Hippobutt?! Are you calling me fat?!" He stopped his squirming for a moment to pout cutely down at Reyanna. "That's not ve-very ni-ahaha!" He took to squirming again, attempting to wiggle away from Reyanna's fingers - a tough thing to accomplish when they were so knowledgeable about all of his ticklish places.

Each time he arched away from an attack, he left another spot open and Reyanna took advantage. This continued for a good minute before Sebastian retreated, rolling away from her and cowering against the wall. "I give! I give!" he cried, out of breath from laughing, holding his hands forward to shield himself from further torment. He settled down then and stretched out his long legs, smiling softly in Reyanna's direction.

"It's best if we get some sleep now," he said after a few minutes of silence though he made no effort to get to his feet just yet. He was comfortable right there, laying next to his closest friend. He felt both protective and safe and maybe that was a little contradicting in a way but it made perfect sense to him. No matter where they were, he watched Rey's back and she watched his.

"More than you could ever count in a lifetime, baby..." she answered softly, draining her beer. She was quiet as she opened the next, a sure sign that something was on her mind. She idly wondered if she'd ever find another little girl like her Alena. God, she missed her. Every time a new group came in, she found herself scanning over them, looking for her. In her mind, she was always that seven year old with big grey eyes and angelic face. Whenever a child was sick, she would stay up for days on end, tending to them, fearing they would die like she did. On the rare occasion that they lost a child, Momma was inconsolable for days. But she stayed strong. They needed her. They were all her children, and they needed her. But they weren't really. The one child she wanted, she couldn't have.

Blinking away the tears that threatened the back of her eyes, Momma chugged down half of her beer before sighing, leaning back and looking up at the vast sky. It seemed so empty, yet so full at the same time.

"It's been a long day..."

Ralph nodded and kept looking at the stars. "So there's one for every fool with a dream..." Ralph looked at the stars as if he was searching for something. That went on for a few minutes before he smiled. He seemed really happy now, his beer long out of mind.

"Momma, I think I found your star." He pointed at the sky towards the brightest star in the sky. "That's your star Momma. I know it 'cus you did so much good. You set up the Tribe, saved me and soo many others. Momma, don't feel bad. I don't want my Momma to feel sad." He leaned over and hugged the woman, trying to make her feel better.

Reyanna giggled at Seb squirming out from her tickling fingers. When they'd both lied back on the bed, he'd mentioned something about going to sleep. Sleep was that part of life necessary to keep the body refreshed, the mind alert in the morning. But she absolutely hated it. The nightmares. . .

the men haunting her even though she'd left them behind. Luca's promises of dragging her back. All of it made her want to run as far from sleep as she possibly could. She didn't want Sebastian thinking he could just up and leave her room to go to sleep that night, but at the same time, she wasn't trying to be demanding either.

Instead, she simply curled up on his arm, and rested her head on his shoulder, before replying. "Sleep is for wienies." Before yawning hugely, and promptly dozing on his arm, winding around him like a cat. She honestly slept better when he was close by, otherwise she'd probably scare someone if she slept alone: Sleepwalking, and screaming herself awake were what usually happened to her on a nightly basis.

Momma hugged him fiercely, kissing him on the head. "Thank you, baby..." she whispered hoarsely before clearing her throat. Petting his head and running her fingers through his hair, she turned her head and rested her cheek on his head, sighing softly.

"I don't mean to be sad, I'm just tired. Even Mommas get tired sometimes..."

She sat back then, still holding on to him as she finished off the second bottle, sighing as the alcohol forced her muscles to relax further.

"You should get to bed soon, baby. It's been a long day for everyone..." She decided she'd wait until he'd gone before she drank the third one. Or maybe she'd head inside with him and just set up in the bar. She never drank to get completely blitzed, but some nights, like tonight, she really wished she did. Instead, she just drank enough to keep the guilty dreams away.

Ralph smiled as he hugged his Momma back. He liked it when Momma held him, always did, always will. It was just a thing for him, a comforting thing. It really helped after a long day.

"Well Momma, if your tired then why don't you take a nap? It usually helps." Ralph hugged his Momma tighter before sliding away when she said it was bed time. He had slid off the rock and was on his feet when a thought him it. "Um... Momma. Do you mind if I go back to fixing my vehicle? You know, it being a sin to let your vehicle go to hell due to half-assed repair work and all..."

"Mhm. And you're my favorite weenie of them all..." How cute Reyanna was when she wasn't trying to pinch or bite him.

A sense of calm washed over Sebastian as for a few moments he simply watched the woman drift off into sleep. When he was sure she wouldn't wake, he shifted with great difficulty, because he was being used as a pillow, and drew the blankets up over the both of them. Reaching over the edge of the bed, he grabbed up one of Rey's boots and tossed it at the lightswitch with successful results. Then he settled back down, wrapping his arms around the sleeping 'kitten' clinging to him, and tried his best to let sleep take him. He just hoped she would have a peaceful slumber with him there. It pained him every time he heard her screaming, trapped in her nightmares.

Brushing aside some of her wild hair, Sebastian placed a gentle kiss on her temple. Leaning back again, a thought came to mind suddenly, one he really wasn't expecting. Actually, it was more of an urge than a thought; an urge to kiss her lips.

Probably not a good idea. She'd either murder him or shy away from him again, neither of which did he want. So, Sebastian dismissed the urge as weird, pushing it right out of his mind so he could finally get some sleep.

Reyanna wouldn't have minded, considering she was fully aware Sebastian was with her, and he was the only one she felt safe with. Though anything -more- than a kiss might be testing his luck.

As she drifted, she really didn't have a bad dream, which was nice, more like a sad one. It was about her parents. She couldn't help but wondering where they were now, and what had happened to them after she'd been carted away to a life of degrading humiliation. Were they still in the same house?

Had they moved to another state/country? She burrowed her face against Seb's shoulder, determined not to let the dream of her parents standing at their old house, then slowly disappearing, make her cry.~

"Alright, baby. Just don't stay up too late, kay? You have duties tomorrow..." she reminded him, slipping down off the rock with the empties in one pocket, his half one in her hand and the remaining full one in the other. Grabbing him in a one-armed hug around his neck, Momma gave him a kiss on the forehead and left him to finish his work.

Halfway back down the ramp she downed the rest of his beer. By the time she reached the bar again, looking around for Seb, she'd finished the fourth. Despite her bleary vision, she correctly deduced that Seb wasn't around and figured he was most likely keeping Reyanna's bad dreams away. She sighed, feeling guilt at the slight pang of jealousy that hit her. She wished she had someone to keep her bad dreams away. Stupid drunk emotions.

Momma decided against setting up shop in the bar tonight and handed the empty bottles back to the bartender for recycling and headed back to the nursery. She checked in with one of the other caretakers to make sure everyone was alright. Fortunately, they were. Seeing Momma's state, she promised to handle things tonight. Momma gave her a thankful hug and collapsed onto her bed in the corner, kicking off her shoes and wriggling under the covers. She hugged a tiny, worn, homemade cloth doll and passed out.

There would be no dreams tonight.

END OF SCENE.