Freedom of Speech

Status
Not open for further replies.
There was actually a discussion for this in my constitutional law class. Everyone agreed that freedom of speech has changed these days. You can say whatever you want, but there's also a limit to what you do when you say it. Just don't be a dick when expressing what you say by involving vandalism like most people nowadays do.

I fully support freedom of speech, and I am extremely tired of people calling for their variety of tactics to try to silence it in a vain attempt to 'not offend' people. Guess what? Offensive shit happens, get the hell over it! And even if you do succeed you'll soon just get offended by most offensive speech now legal, and the cycle will never end.

That being said though, Brovo's big point on it conflicting with other rights is also true. And from a legal perspective I would have to back that stance completely. From a personal/bias perspective though? I'd have to look at that stuff on a case by case basis, and decide if people are right to be valuing another law or not (on average, I'll value freedom of speech more). But, laws can't operate on such specifics (it's why you get 18 year old idiots driving, and 14 year old savants not able to even if the 14 year old is better suited. We gotta go by averages), so our current system works fine.

However, I definitely think we need some legal restrictions on hiring practice's when it enters the picture. Because it's nice to say "People are right to refuse hiring people who give hate speech" and such, but it often won't work out that way. For a personal example? My Mom works as a Manager as a Michaels store, she deals with the hiring of new people constantly. And she has outright told me before that someone like me wouldn't ever get hired there because of stuff I say or think from looking through something like my facebook feed (fun fact, she never gives specifics. So I have no idea if she's talking about general bluntness, offensive humour, my stance on religion etc).

And stuff like that? I really don't think that sort of stuff should be tolerated, I mean it's one thing to not want specifically toxic views representing your company. But when you turn people down, people who could be well qualified just because you personally disagree with them? I really have a hard time seeing how that differs much from people being able to fire others over differing views (granted, in this case you don't have a job to lose. But the end result of no employment for a simple disagreement is still rather serious in my mind).

As for specific and/or practical laws to try to prevent such abuse? I really can't say, because it can VERY easily cross the line to violating privacy, or simply becoming way too expensive to feasibly maintain. But idealistically speaking, it's one common abuse that bugs the hell out of me, and even with other rights in consideration it's something I feel very strongly should be eliminated.

Last edited:
tl;dr: Yes, I support Freedom of Speech as a human right, equal to other human rights, and abridged whenever it would seem most appropriate to enable a greater sum total of individual human rights.
This basically comes closest to my perspective. Though it goes without saying these are muddy waters.

Reactions: Windsong
Freedom of Speech is good yo

Just don't be a fucking cock about it and abuse that right to hurt anyone.

USE COMMON SENSE WITH FREEDOM OF SPEECH Y'ALL

(Lookin' at you hate groups, sjws, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.