Fragments of Dreams

"If you know your student ID number, you can look your schedule up online. I can show you, if you want," he offered, checking the water. It hadn't started boiling yet. "It's a little confusing to maneuver at first, bit you'll get the hang of it," he offered an assuring smile to her. He leaned against the counter, his arms crossed over his chest as he stared into the pot. Normally, he would will the pot to boil, but he didn't want to freak out their gusts.

Noticing it was much quieter than normal, Zach looked outside the window above the sink. He saw the shadows he normally talked to, but it appeared that they were behind a barrier. He frowned; he only let "good" shadows into the house. He himself had adjusted the barrier to allow that to happen. How? He had no idea. He just kind of willed it. The only way he knew the barrier was there in the first place was when he saw shadows with bad auras on the other side of it, unable to come in. He was protecting the "good" shadows from those other kinds of shadows. He shot a glance at Jane, and over towards where the adults were talking. That big guy had been the last one in. Maybe he'd done something..?

Miria stifled a sob. Her beloved husband... "We will go back with you," she whispered after swallowing, a few tears leaking to her cheeks. She wiped them away and nodded with more confidence. "Yes. We will go back with you. Give me enough time to tell Zach." Regardless of her fear that her son would run away, her people needed her now more than ever, and she would not let them down.

"On what line?" Edrea was curious. But she was even more curious about the shadows he seemed to be looking for. Was he aware of his powers? Did he know he was the Prince of a kingdom that has loved for him long before he was even born? "The identification number they gave me is 102975 although I'm not really sure how that's going to help."

Fenris looked at the Princess of the Fire-bringers and the Queen of the Shadowlands. "Of course, Your Highness. But I'm afraid we can't take too much time, or the whole cause will be lost. The Sun King and the Queen of the Silver Moon has sent their Avatars in the Orian to buy us some time. They are handling everything regarding the war. Also, the girl with us... she is the daughter of the King and the Queen of the Orian. Roughly about the same age as the Prince."

Molrim remained stationed at the side, feeling around the barrier. There were things that seems to be testing it but they felt benevolent enough. However, they could not risk anything specially when it came to Princess Edrea.

"It would be great if they became friends," at this Fenris looked at the kitchen and saw that the two children seems to be having a pleasant conversation. "Perhaps he could help her get around." Fenris once again took hold of Miria's hands. "Your Highness, we'll all be home soon."

Zach looked at her curiously. She must not be that into computers, he guessed. "If you've got an e-mail address, you can log into the site with that and your student ID number, and it will show your schedule and grades," he told her. And 'on what line'? Who said that? Definitely not from around here, his thoughts concluded. "If you don't have an e-mail address, it's easy to set up. I'll show you on my laptop after the food's ready, if you want."

Miria looked at the girl talking to her son in the kitchen. "I am sure they will be friends. Zach is friendly with everyone. Just like his father," she said with a hint of a smile at the memory of her beloved husband. "Yes. I know he'll be fine," she nodded to reassure herself of her son. "And I think it is her who would be showing him around," she corrected him. She offered him a smile of thanks and squeezed his hands gently before finally going over to her son.

"Hey," Zach offered her a smile. "Get it all figured out?"

"Yes. Oh, would you all like to stay for dinner as well," she asked, smiling. She looked at Edrea with a knowing look in her eye. It was rude to not at least offer dinner to company and a good time in between meals.

Zach looked at his mom curiously and glanced over at Molrim before looking out the window to his poor shadows. Just a little longer, guys. I'll let you in as soon as I can, he thought, not sure if they could read his thoughts or not. He did look concerned, however, which would hint at what he was thinking.

She stared at him with a confused face. Edrea was not familiar with any of these. What's a laptop? Or an e-mail address? What does it mean to 'log into the site'? She looked over at Fenris, badly needing help. But before she could respond his mother has come to the kitchen. She looked over at Fenris from her offer. It is not allowed to deny a request from a Queen or a Princess. But she could see the uneasiness Zach felt for the shadows, which was strange and endearing.

"We wouldn't want to impose, ma'am." Edrea answered. Then she looked at Zach. "And I'd be grateful for any help you can offer. Perhaps after our meal we could attend the school together? Or are we not allowed to do that anymore?"

Fenris stood from his chair too and joined them. "Mo--Your Uncle John will bring you there. If, of course, this young man is alright with that."

Zack saw the clear confusion that was written all over the girl's face. "Yeah, sure. Classes will be over, but the school will still be open. You can pick up your schedule and I can show you around. Some clubs might be going on, so we won't be in the building alone. You might get to meet some other students," Zach said.

Miria smiled in agreement with the plan. "I can pick you up afterwards, Zach. Just send a text when you're ready." It'd give her enough time to figure out how to talk to him about it. They needed to go back to their home Plane, whether he wanted to or not. She figured he'd at least want to see where it was he was supposed to grow up. She knew it'd be completely different for him; he'd grown up in this very house and knew little else. She hadn't even taken him outside of the city, for fear that something would happen.

"Alright, Mom," he nodded in agreement. Finally, the water started to boil. He put the noodles in and stirred them around every now and again, and put the sauce in a separate pot to heat it up to put on top of the noodles. Once it was all ready, he got the plates out and put normal serving sizes of noodles on the plates. "You guys can put however much sauce you want on there," he told their guests. There's plenty to go around."

All the three of them stared at their meals. Edrea first started to poke it around, watching Zach and Miria, trying to figure out how to eat it. Fenris easily started eating like Zach and Miria, only with a slight difficulty due to the noodles slipping. Molrim just engulfed it. Edrea struggled to try to eat it, but it kept on falling off her utensil. She was getting impatient until she figured out how to make it hold. She smiled in triumph and took her first bite. She's never tasted anything like it before. And she liked it.

"What was this dish called again? Sparoti?"

Molrim has already finished his and stood up to get some more. "This is really good, kid. I like it." He grinned at the boy. Hopefully Zach doesn't get upset that he's keeping his playmates away for awhile. You just can't ever be too careful with Edrea around.

Miria slowly twirled her sauce-covered noodles around her fork, to show the others how it was done. She found amusement at Molrim practically inhaling his. "Close- spaghetti," she corrected the Princess with a smile.

Zach still thought it was weird that they didn't even know what spaghetti was. Forget "from out of town", they were from a different country, or something. Or did they have spaghetti in other countries? Hmm... He blinked up at the big guy as he complimented the dish. "Thanks," he smiled back at him. "So, where are you guys from," he asked, glancing over back at Jane and her other uncle.

Edrea almost choked on her food. She nervously glanced Fenris who was then struggling to formulate words. "We're from uhm..." Fenris' hands were doing weird gestures, his eyes wildly looking around for answers. Thankfully, a place popped up in his head. "Gibraltar. Small island, very far away." Edrea exhaled in relief. She thought they were done for!

"I really like this uhm... spaghetti. It's... different. Perhaps we could bring back some at home. Think you not, Uncle John?" Edrea hoped Fenris would say yes. She really liked it. Perhaps her even the King and the Queen would enjoy it. If only they'd visit the Plane, but that wasn't allowed lest they won't be able to go back to the Realm of Spirits where the true Gods live.

"Of course, of course. But, we won't be going anywhere for awhile, my dear." The disappointment was visible in Edrea's facade. She missed home. She missed Ilana, her pet saber-tooth tiger. "Patience, little dove." Fenris touched her hand that was resting on the table and she smiled at him. She then looked up at Miria with an apologetic smile. She knew she should never rush things like this. She just slipped a bit.

"I'll wait for you kids outside." Molrim said as he took his clean plate and placed it on the sink. Everybody looked up in awe because he finished two plates before anyone ever finished theirs. When he finally went out the door it was Fenris who offered an explanation. "He was in the military. You know how they are, they always like to do things fast."

Zach raised his brow. They were too pale to be from the tropics. It must be a more northern island, or maybe somewhere off the South coast of Australia. But their accents didn't match... Hmm... Weird... He shrugged it off. He turned to Jane. "I'm glad you like it. And if you guys have microwaves, it tastes fine when it's heated back up," he told her. "Are you guys just staying here for a long business trip," he asked curiously. His school wasn't so great to move all the way from... Wherever Gibraltar was... to a spread-out suburb like Fulton.

Miria smiled sympathetically at the girl. She knew what it was like to miss home. She hoped she could go back soon. The urgency to go back to her people was strong, but she couldn't rush her son. She got up to put her dishes away and went out to see Molrim. "The small ones won't hurt anyone," she informed him. "Zach manipulated the barrier to keep the harmful ones out. I'm surprised he hasn't asked me how he's able to do that yet..." she looked to where the little shadows were gathered, all begging to come into the barrier.

Fenris answered him."Oh, we're just here to fix some things. We should be heading back home soon. We just didn't want Ed--Jane to get bored at home." Edrea smiled reassuringly at Zach. "I quite enjoy it here. It's very... different. I like different."

Molrim gave a short bow to the Queen. It was killing him not to show respect. "With due all your respect, Your Majesty, I do think they're harmless but we never know. You are a Queen, the Shadow Prince is inside and so is the Princess. We can never be sure enough. The Dawn-treaders are powerful creatures. We don't know anymore how powerful they've become after all those years."

Zach looked at the uncle curiously. "Seems like a lot of work to put her in a different school for a few weeks or so, just to go back home. That's a lot of paperwork," he said curiously, though his friendly smile never faded. "I guess I can't judge, though," he chuckled.

Miria smiled at the big guy. "You're a good soldier," she nodded, knowing where he was coming from. Her smile faltered into a look of concern, though, as her gaze returned to the shadows on the other side of the barrier. The warrior was right - she would need to hurry to get both the kids back home. "I will talk to Zach about it tonight. Fenris has my phone number, should you need me."

"Edr--Jane, has never been to a school. She insisted that she must try one while she's still here." Fenris has finished his food and so has Edrea. "Once you kids are finished, you should head back to school."

Edrea smiled at Zach. "I'm prepared to leave any time you are ready." And, just to take away the suspicious look on Zach's eyes, she added, "I've only ever had private tutors and trainers. The people from my country attended early training schools for the vocations they wanted to master in. Usually the children followed their families lineage seeing as how their abilities were ingrained in their blood."

"What she means is that they learn very early on what their business of trades are. Every family does their own part in our community." Fenris said this as he took away his and Edrea's plates. He wasn't sure if Zach was already done.

Molrim looked at the sun, figuring out the time. "I will be with them the whole time they are at school. I will be guarding the perimeter, making sure there would be no anomalies. Serving the Orian has been the only duty I've known my whole life. My father was a Guardian of the Light and so was his father. I'm certain that my children will also be Guardians. You, yourself, Your Majesty, know what loyalty and duty means to us Guardians. The Shadow Guardians fought well and brave until their last breath for their King."

Zach looked at them curiously, though the look dissipated once Jane offered her explination. "Ohhh, okay," he smiled. Must be a rich island, he thought. He also wondered why her uncle kept starting her name with "Edr-". Maybe he was thinking of someone else. Who knew? Oh well. "I'll get the plates, if you're done," he smiled, standing as he reached his hand out to take the plates from Fenris.

She smiled at him. "You bring honor to us," she told him with a sincere pat to his shoulder. "Truly, you do. All of you have. I grieve for those who we have lost." She looked up at Molrim. "Are their families doing alright? Are they safe," she asked, also worried about the ones who were left to grieve their Guardians.

"We'll wait outside," Fenris said, taking Edrea with him. Edrea looked at his back while heading out. She looked over to the shadows still around the barrier's perimeter and once again felt bad. She could talk to Molrim about it, but she knew he won't take any chances.

Edrea sat at the living room while Fenris joined the others outside.

"As of right now the people of the Shadowlands have been taken in by the Fire-bringers and the Orian. The Silvermoon is sending in more soldiers to defend the Light Barriers we have installed. However, we cannot fully take back the Shadowlands without your help." He then looked up, watching the shadows at the barrier. His expression turned grim. "I'm afraid the Princess and the Prince will have to fight side by side."

"The Princess is an excellent warrior. She will never back down from a fight. It upsets her deeply that her people are fighting and she is not there to fight with them." Fenris stood beside Molrim, the same grim expression on his face. "The warrior blood of your people in the Prince's veins shall be awakened soon, Your Majesty."

Zach put the dishes in the sink after rinsing the sauce off of them so they wouldn't sick. His mom normally did the dishes since he was the one who usually cooked. Once those were done, he looked over at Jane. "Are you ready to go," he asked, smiling at her.

Miria nodded, her expression also grim and worried. "We will all be home soon," she promised. "And we will all fight together. But before Zach is able to go out onto the battlefield, he must be trained. He will catch up quickly, but no matter what he orders of you, do not let him on the battlefield until he is ready," she told them.

Zach walked out, looking at them curiously. "What's goin' on," he asked, seeing his mom's expression.

Miria looked at her son, her only child, and smiled. "Nothing of any concern. You two go with her uncle. I'll do the dishes. Have fun," she said cheerfully.

Zach blinked at her, but did as she said. "Bye, Mom." She was acting weird... Not herself. Like she was trying to hide something. He'd figure it out later.

Edrea stood up to follow Zach outside.

"It would be an honor for me to train him, Your Majesty." Molrim bowed, offering his services. He was the one who trained Edrea after-all. "However, a Fire-bringer warrior must help him control his powers." He added on the remembrance of how the Princess' powers had often fluctuated and did more damage than necessary or that she had wanted to. She was still a child then, barely 5 years old. But still, the damages had been massive.

Zach and Edrea has stepped outside before Miria could respond. Molrim lead the two to the car. "I shall see you later Uncle John." Edrea smiled back at Fenris who simply stood there, watching them.

"Take care," My Princess. Fenris bowed his head in the smallest fraction, just to show his respect for the Princess. Molrim will let no harm come to them, and for that he was thankful.

Zach got into the back seat furthest away from them, letting Jane sit wherever she wanted, whether it be the more convenient seat or the "shotgun" seat next to the driver. He buckled his seat belt and waited patiently. Once Jane got in the car, he asked her, "So, did you get to choose some of your classes, or did they choose them for you?"

"Do you have any advice on how to tell him," Miria asked Fenris once Zach was in the car. Even still, she spoke quietly. As the Queen, she knew she had to tell her son. And she would. But as the boy's mother... He was very precious to her, and she didn't want to lose him.

Edrea wasn't allowed to sit in the front so she sat beside Zach, fastening her seatbelt as Molrim got in the driver's seat and they pulled away from the curb. "I think Fenris was the one who chose my classes for me, but I can't really be sure. I'm terribly sorry. I lack the knowledge about matters such as these." When Fenris' name slipped from Edrea's tongue, Molrim immediately shot her a look from the rearview mirror which made Edrea uneasy. "Fenris... I mean my Uncle John. It's his last name, you see and they frequently used it back home."

"We must head back inside, Your Majesty." After they got inside the house Fenris took out a small thing wrapped in fabric. "This might help," he said as he unwrapped it to reveal silver necklace with a crystal moon pendant. "This is the Shadow King's Dream Crystal. It holds his memories which could be accessed by the wearer while dreaming. The Dream-Weavers have sent it with us to present it to you and the Prince. We only hope it could serve its purpose."

Zach looked at her with a look of obvious confusion as she called the other guy Fenris. "Oh," he chuckled when she offered the explanation that they called him by his last name. "No, it's fine. Just confused me was all." Once they arrived at the school, Zach got out and waved to a classmate of his. He was just leaving, and came on over to say hello.

"Hey, Zach, what's up," the dark-haired guy with glasses asked, stopping in front of Zach, who smiled. "Not a lot. A new student ran into me and I thought I'd show her around," he said with a chuckle at how literal it was.

His friend laughed. "Always the guy to help out. You ran into the right guy," he smiled at the girl. "Hey, he's single-" he was cut off by Zach elbowing him in the ribs to shut him up. "Don't you gotta be somewhere," he asked, his ears pink in his embarrassment. "Alright, alright," his friend snickered through his wince. "My name's Brad," he introduced himself.

"Brad, Jane. Jane, Brad. Bye, Brad," Zach said, pushing his friend towards his car. "Bye, Jane," the nerd-looking guy winked back over his shoulder at her, mainly just to get on Zach's nerves, before he got in his car two rows down.

"Sorry about him," Zach apologized, clearly embarrassed. "Uh... Let's get inside to the office. Your schedule will be there," he said, changing the subject.

Zach got out of the car first giving Molrim a chance to talk to Edrea. "Your Majesty, all the wards has been set up. I shall be around the perimeter in case anything unnatural happens." Edrea chuckled. "Molrim, we are unnatural to their world." She got out of the car and saw Zach talking to another boy.

She could see that they seemed to be good friends and she found it humorous. He winked at her and she waved back. "Goodbye, Brad." She was still smiling when she noticed Zach's face turned a shade of pink. "He seems pleasant." Edrea commented as they walked towards the school.