Wendy Palin
Elderidge
The Loren House

Wendy frowned. It was all she could do, met as she was with pleas from Jacob and chiding from Merek. Her brother's response to the harsh work that she was expecting to have to do she anticipated, more or less; for all the month they'd spent together in the woods, surviving however they could, this was something odd and different. Colder. More violent. If she were honest with herself, a rare event when such introspection involved weakness, the youngest Palin had much the same reaction the first time she'd been required by necessity to pull information from another human. It was dirty work, and not everyone had the stomach for it.

Including Merek, it seemed. As if expecting his friend to mind his instruction, the man had bandaged her prisoner's wounds as best he might. For all the good it did them; Merek himself said that the soldier would likely die trying to get back, so what was the point? There wasn't any. It was spitting in the wind; a wasted effort. And more importantly, it robbed them of potential information.

So when Merek gave his dismissal to the Palins, as well as to the injured man at Wendy's feet, she scoffed.

"You bury your troubles, if you have to. The world isn't so kind as you seem to think it is; good deeds rarely go unpunished. Tend to the dead if you must. But if you haven't noticed, someone has killed your brother. It was likely the same people who just tried to kill you. And if you think I'm going to let them get away with trying to harm a friend of mi-"

Comprehension dawned on her like a lightning bolt, and she turned to her brother quickly. The cold and calculating predator had been replaced by a worried sibling, and springing for her pack, Wendy began digging through it to find gauze, needle and thread, or any other sort of materials with which to tend Jacob's wounds. Her attention was entirely focused, her prisoner for the moment forgotten.

And that fact was not lost on the man. Threatened as he was by a maniac with an axe in a cloak the color of blood, yet having been ostensibly set free by the man whom he'd just attempted to kill, the soldier made the best judgement he could and bolted, moving as quickly as he might for the slowness of pace his injury demanded.

@Elle Joyner @CloudyBlueDay

• Love
Reactions: Elle Joyner
Jack Corville

With haggard breaths, Jack followed Fi down the small walkway, completely trusting the acquaintance with whom he'd forged an unlikely friendship over the course of only five hours. He had no doubt that Fi -- who was no doubt much more intelligent than Jack -- knew where she was going, or that she would at least figure it out, and they would leave. He ignored his sopping wet clothes, or the smell coming up from the moat, and he doggedly followed the ledge on Fi's heels.

However, as they began to run out of room along the moat's edge, he began to wonder whether or not there was an end. Would they continue walking in circles, the guards following them? He had heard a man splash into the water after them, and he feared that maybe someone would be on their tail. After all, there had been a man who was wearing the same armor as them, dead on the floor in the castle. Perhaps they were mad at them for what had happened to him.

Then, Fi tugged on him and he saw the bridge across the moat -- incredibly slim, but enough that it would afford escape. Without a word, Jack slung Fi over his shoulder and sprinted off towards the forest, lithe body managing the cobblestones well. Overhead, Goose continued to guide them out of the castle grounds and into the trees, and Jack only stopped when he was fully within the forest, looking back at the castle.

"You think they'll follow?" Jack asked as he huffed, still holding Fi over his shoulder.
@Elle Joyner @Bear Enthusiast

Uther arrived on horseback in Bright Hedge in the dark of night. He wanted to keep his arrival as low-key as possible. Even he was surprised how quiet the city had become. Judging from the significant guard presence, the old knight surmised that a curfew was in place. It had been some time since he had enforced such an order. With the military presence, Uther didn't want to head straight for the castle and startle the guards. He would wait until morning to find Rickard. Though they weren't supposed to meet here or this early, his former squire needed to know of Lady Aladria and her knowledge of the queen's plot.

Shrouded in a beggar's robe he obtained on the road, Uther looked for an inn to rest in. He wondered if the Weathered Warden was still around. As he looked for safe haven, his attention was taken by the flash of a mirror. From where he was, he spotted a child waving him to an alley. The old knight knew well enough not to go blindly into an alley, even at the behest of a child. If lawful citizens obeyed the curfew, then the only people on the streets (that weren't soldiers) would be unlawful. Uther wasn't expecting anyone to meet him, nor did he tell anyone where he was headed. His hand reached for the sword under his robes, ready to draw in case of an ambush.

"It's late for you to be out, young one," Uther said in a low tone, careful not to attract too much attention. He did not immediately follow her into the alley. His eyes scanned the area for any assailants hidden in the shadows.

• Nice Execution!
Reactions: rissa

Anhlan Ai

There was no comment she could conjure in response to Declan's words, and she took to just filling her lack of response with the act of continuing their arduous burial. Her thoughts shifted to what once was home and the bodies she rid of in the name of her king. They had always felt at war in Kyxia either with others or themselves. She began to wonder if she was bringing that curse with her to Mulgrave. These two men they killed felt like only the beginning to a bigger picture.

"Where are you headed?" Anhlan asked after she felt enough time had passed to politely change the subject.

"With the cart?" Rising, Declan brushed off his hands before rubbing his shoulder, prying out a kink, "The armory. New shipment of supp--" His hand dropped to his side and swearing, he turned, "If anyone else comes up from the Grave Road... They'll find the cart."

"We should probably tend to that," she suggested, and then pointed off into the woods. "The axel isn't too far from here. Just in that brush."

Nodding, Declan gestured to the road, "Let's head out, then." Starting off, he made for the path, glancing over to her, "Thank you... For all your help. In hope when this is over you'll allow me to compensate you... accordingly"

"If you would give it in the name of Johan," she said simply with a nod, "then I will accept. I have no need for compensation that would not end up in their hands anyway. I am their tenant. But they will need to replenish the supplies lost this day at my expense."

Smiling faintly, Declan nodded, "Very well. I'll see to it, then. But I would like to give you something... Just you. Whatever you want or require. Just name it."

Anhlan was adept at silences. She was a thinker, and contemplated with focus before speaking. Such an offer was not something she knew how to respond to. There was nothing she wanted apart from forgiveness from her king. That was not something Declan of Mulgrave could provide, but dismissing the offer would surely be rude.

"I do not know," she admitted. Her head shook slightly, and she curled a loose lock of hair behind her ear to keep it from wisping on her cheek. "Perhaps... Perhaps legal documents. To declare myself as a legal citizen of Mulgrave would allow me to buy my own place for business. I appreciate the Johans for all they have provided me, but I am a burden. Especially in a winter such as this."

"Done." Where Anhlan was skilled in silence, Declan was a man who thought very little when it wasn't necessary. As far as he was concerned, the woman had saved his life and had done so at risk of her own. She had then patched his wounds and assisted him in the miry task of grave digger. If what she wanted was a citizenship, then he would see it happen.

"You've my word, as soon as I am able, I'll set it in motion." Bending down, he plucked up the axel where he had displaced it, hefting it over her shoulder, cautious of his side, "It's a few miles to the cart. You're alright to walk?"

She held out her hands from her sides as if to present herself, a small smile lifting her lips. "I look to be in better condition than you," she stated. "Lead the way. I will help you install it."

Grinning, Declan shook his head, "I think that much was true before I got myself stabbed. I'll be lucky if I can feel my legs, tomorrow. Onward, then." With a nod, he started along the road, again. He walked for a while in silence, but after about a mile or so, glanced over to Anhlan again, shifting the axel to his opposite shoulder, "I noticed a few farms along the road... Look to be abandoned. You should look there, when you've got your documents. With your skillset, you'd be able to build them up in no time, I'm sure."

The empty farms. Anhlan's gaze flecked over to the fields of tall grass of land so long untouched. They were neighbors once far and away that had moved on from their Mulgrave farm. Perhaps they had lost it to economic decline. Or perhaps they found better lives elsewhere.

"I will consider it," she said. "I do like it out here. It's quiet and out of the way. How far is it to the nearest city?"

NPCS: Aelynn

Aelynn frowned at the man as he spoke, a light brow rising into a crease of her forehead as she took a few steps into the light, "I ain't that young. Be seventeen in a few weeks… Older'n both my sisters and my cousin, Margey. Besides, it's old people what got to bed early, anyhow."

Her eyes darting from Uther to the empty streets, she shrugged, "I ain't come to argue semantics on curfew with some dodgy old knight, anyhow. Mum sent me to collect. You're Uther, right? You and mum, you got a friend in common, what needs help with a certain… conversation you need to be havin'?"

Shifting, moving a little closer, the girl pulled the mirror from her pocket again and held it out for his inspection, "Gave ya one of these, she did? Well, pretty lady, old like you, she popped up on this thing… Called for Mum and gave her instructions. Anyway. Some bad goings went down, back at the palace and Mum had me come, urgent like, to stop you from headin' straight there. Captain's dead. Mum wants me to take you to our house, so's you can talk to your friend safe, there."

@Toogee

NPCS: Declan Martel || Lilianna Gentry | Alfeus Swann

Glancing over at her again, Declan shrugged, "It's a couple miles to Mulgrave central. I've walked it more times than I'd like to say. But it stays pretty quiet. The king doesn't have much to do with it out here. He feels like there's no point getting in the way, so long as taxes get paid."

Shifting the axle again, he shrugged, "Used to be men like me would retire out here… Start up a farm when they got too old or broken for soldiering. I suppose it makes sense - One would still feel of use, at least. Won't be far, now... "

The last mile or so, Declan fell quiet again. His side ached and his back and shoulders were beginning to follow suit, sweat clinging to the nape of his neck and he bounced the axle back and forth. But it was a quiet anxiety, clawing at his stomach that was most uncomfortable. Somehow, the idea that anyone from the Grave Road would come this far inland was unnerving… but knowing that they might have come specifically because of the route to the barracks.

As they slowed, he spotted the cart at a distance and swore, softly, "...Someone's been through it. Stay here, I'm going to have a look…"

Tags: @Effervescent

Climbing down was easy. Even with his sack and armor the way back down to the earth was quicker, more satisfying. Or perhaps it was just the adrenaline coursing through his veins. The outer wall was pitted with hand and feet holes everywhere you stepped and Alfeus was less than two yards from solid ground when he heard a soft cry and an impact from down below.

He finished his climb quickly, realizing what that fall entailed. He landed on the balls of his feet and without thinking, swooped Liliana off her feet and poised himself to run. He waited for the other prisoner and then glanced down at the woman in his arms.

"Just breathe. We'll check yer back later. I know a spot off the Grave Road, just gotta' get there Lili." He turned, eyes scanning the top of the wall for more arrows. "Let's go dammit!"

With expert swiftness, Katze scrambled down the rock and jumped the last few feet. He landed on the dirt with a 'thump,' and upon glancing back, he heard the squeal. "Did you just call her Lili?" he snorted, "You're getting awfully comfortable and cozy."

He cared little if the woman was hurt or not. If anything, her injury just ensured his freedom. The guard has his hands full with a woman, leaving Katze to try and dart off if he so chose. He held his ground for the time being. Once they escaped the threat, he assured himself he'd be off.

As breath returned to her lungs, Lilianna opened her eye to find the guard swooping down to lift her up.
She was on the smaller side but he still scooped her up as though she were weightless.

Her vision cleared and she met his gaze with a soft, self conscious frown. She wasn't accustomed to being coddled... Even by those few she considered friends, she didn't expect it, and certainly not someone who had regarded her as a thing one caught in crowded places.

For a moment she couldn't think of anything to say, then Katze found a way to fill the silence and Lilianna narrowed her eyes at the man before bracing a hand against Alfeus's chest to swing legs down to the ground.

"It's alright." She nodded, with surprising softness, "I think I can walk... We should keep moving."

"Fine," Alfeus said dismissively, eyes tearing away from the woman's face to scan the perimeter of the Wall. As he did, he took the longer of the ropes from within his cloak pocket and knotted a complex weave.

"You have an option." Alfie said quickly, "Give me a wrist, each of ya. Then we're off."

God damnit.

Katze couldn't help it when he internally cursed himself. The woman disregarding the guards advances put him back in the same position he had been before: caught. He could try and run, but it was a risk... too risky, even for Katze. With a huff, he jutted out his hand towards the guard when he asked. "Sure thing, guardo."

But Lilianna hesitated, her eyes flickering from Katze, to the guard, then back down as she held out her wrists. She flinched at the streaks of red, up and down each forearm, where they had scraped against the solid stone. Splintered bits of fragmented stone were embedded into the scratches and beads of blood welled from the designs.

"...That... might be a bit of a problem."

He struggled with two separate halves of himself. Briefly, at least, because they had no time. Cursing under his breath and feeling a weight settle upon his chest, Alfeus shredded the bottom of his cloak, grabbed Lili by her upper arm and wrapped her wrist with the bit of cloak before tying her up. It wouldn't serve much, but at least the rope wouldn't chafe against raw skin. He turned and repeated the process with Katze, sans the cloak.

"Let's go." He said with a grunt, running towards the Grave Road, towards freedom.

Towards freedom, not so much.

Katze realized he was like a cow heading to the slaughterhouse-- a bit blind, confused, unwilling, but being dragged along in every direction he didn't want to go. "Great, let's go. I'll click my heels all the way."

Looking from her wrists, crudely bandaged, to the guard, the to the prisoner she was tied to, Lilianna rolled her eyes.

"Smart ass..." She muttered to Katze, but started forward, swiftly, rope held between her palms to keep it from dragging.

"The both of ya can keep yer mouths shut." Alfie spat out as he ran, tugging hard on the rope to make sure they kept his pace. He wanted away from Mulgrave as fast as he could make it happen and to return to the Grave Road -- a place of banishment turned bliss -- was all he wanted.

So when he ran bodily into someone, tripping himself and probably the two behind him in the process, his heart dropped into his stomach as he reached for his blade, not intent on following his two prisoners to the stocks.

Katze was painfully annoyed and it showed in every feature on his semi-handsome face. His lips curled back a ways, especially when the oaf in front of him tripped and pulled violently on the ropes, causing Katze to stumble forward in suit. As quick and as swift as a cat, he got his feet underneath himself again to prevent from falling.

"Smooth, genius."

Lilianna, however, was decidedly less fortunate and as Katze stumbled forward, so too did she, barely able to catch herself before her face collided with the impacted earth of the road.

The man Alfeus collided with stumbled back, swearing, but he managed his feet rather swiftly and for a moment, reached for the hilt at his side before eyeing the guard, his gaze widening, "Ralph! Ah. In a bit of a hurry there, aren't we, boy? Where are you headed?"

The man twisted his gaze first to Lilianna, who was righting herself with some effort, then Katze, lip twisting into a frown, "Prisoner transfer? Hmm..." Meeting Alfeus's eye again, he smirked, "How much you want for the pair?"

"Don't want nothin', friend." Alfeus said smoothly, picking himself up to his full height, eyes burning with suspicion and paranoia. Albeit he made no move to conceal his blade, the guard lowered it slightly, taking a slightly friendlier stance. His grip on the rope tightened however and almost subconsciously Alfie stepped in front of the woman, doing his best to shield her from his view.

"Oi…" The guard frowned, and stepping forward again, resting his hand on his own hilt, "...That's not very polite. C'mon. You know how this works. I could use a man, strong like that, for the new roof… and well," His eyes traveled to Lilianna and the tip of his tongue pinched between his teeth, "I've always got uses for a pretty bitch. Now step out of the way, or we might have a problem."

Tags: Collab with @rissa & @Nav

The Following Afternoon || NPCS: Remis Halifax

It was a funny thing. Remis had come out of Nemco on his lonesome, relatively sure that he was done for. He had no money or prospects and was entirely without a friend that he had not, to some degree broken the trust of.

Running into the funny man and his beautiful lady was happenstance - Leaving the little home by the roadside with only the woman was not. How a letter had found Beo there, Remis could not say. Stranger things, he gathered, had happened, and he had not questioned it when the man said he needed to depart immediately due to an emergency at his home.

The woman, incidentally, did not leave with her companion. Whatever lay behind her, she seemed content to leave it there for now, and Remis would not begrudge her the chance to start over. It would be decent, at any rate, not to have to travel on his own, anymore.

So that morning, bidding Beo farewell and good luck, they left in the opposite direction, headed towards the ruins on the steeds they had been provided. Remis traveled for a while, before looking over to Briar, a brow quirked as he spoke, "So… Running from, or running to?"
Tags: @BearEnthusiast (Briar)

NPCS: Merek Loren

"It's a mistake to think that I'm doing this out of respect for the dead, Wendy. And that rash way of thinking is going to wind you up in trouble, some day, if you aren't careful. These woods are full of all manner of foul beast, and I would rather not have my home ransacked, whilst they hunt for corpses."
Turning to the door, he shook his head, watching as she moved swiftly to attend to her brother, "But you are too quick to kill. To want to kill." His eyes narrowing ever so slightly, he frowned in thought, "Your family was slaughtered by a monster. Don't be in such a rush to become that very thing, yourself, seeking vengeance and answers. Your father would not be proud of that."

Falling silent, he moved for the door and slipped out into the coolness of the night, returning only for the other bodies. It would be a few hours yet, before sunup and already he had exhausted himself on diving graves. But it was done - swiftly, and without ceremony or circumstances - A mass hole far from where Tom had been laid to rest, the three corpses deposited, then covered over.

He entered again, when he was finished, back to the house, exhaustion stretching itself through every limb and ligament of his body. Closing the door after himself, he pinched the bridge of his nose with a sigh, but a knock a moment later had him straightening upright, and this time, he reached for the axe before he opened it.

The man that stood outside stood but a few inches shorter than Merrick, with a thinner build, but strong shoulders and arms. Hands on his hips, he eyed Merrick, his lips twisting into a frown as a brow rose in the opposite direction, "Hell, Mer. You look like--"

"Travis." Dropping the axe, Merrick reached out and grabbed the man by the shoulders, yanking him into a crushing hug.

"...Erhm. Did… did I miss something?"

@Red Thunder, @CloudyBlueDay

NPCS: Fiora Rimel | Eirlys Vance

There had been a moment where Fiora was positive death was coming for her… a prolonged moment, that seemed to stretch on for eternity - though in truth it was mere seconds. Jack, for all he might have thought himself an idiot, was quick thinking and as he propelled them upwards and out of the murk, Fiora unleashed a gasping breath, clinging to him like a clawed cat. He pushed her forward, towards the small stone wall and she kicked as he instructed, but only released him when he had pulled her from the moat, up onto the step.

Fi didn't stop. Didn't pause... Not to think, or breathe, or answer. She held fast to Jack's hand and followed that maddening goose until they hit the tree line and then further still... Into the depth of the darkened woods and away from whatever fresh horrors the castle and it's guards held.

She wasn't at all sure where they were or what direction they were headed, but what she did understad was the implications of all that had transpired. For whatever reason, they had been held prisoner by the queen, but now, having come upon a dead man... a dead soldier, it seemed they were fugitives for a whole different and far more frightening reason.

It was believed that they had killed the man. The atrocity would be their deaths if they were caught. No doubt.

Tears stung now, blurring her vision but Fi pushed with all her limits, until her lungs burned and her chest hurt and her feet swelled in her shoes. Finally, they broke through the blackened forestry and Fi, tripping over root and limb of those last few trees collasped to her hands and knees, sucking in a gasp and releasing a sob.

For a moment she could do nothing, each sunsequent breath agony to draw, but as the tears slowed and her pounding heart eased against her ribs she sank back, turning her eyes to Jack. It was then that she saw them... Floating in the midnight sky like spectres, silver-white in the lightof the moon. Standing swiftly, afraid she has deluded herself into seeing them, she braced herself on Jack's arm, fingers curled in her sleeve...

Graceful and smooth, the birds decended. Six perfect swans, landing feather soft in the field. Releasing Jack, Fi ran to them and dropped into their center and silent as she... the birds surrounded her, nuzzling her neck and shoulders.

@Doctor Jax @BearEnthusiast (Harrison)

Next update 5/16

Jack Corville

Slowly the two made their way into the forest, deeper and deeper with every step. Every step felt like a boulder strapped to the bottoms of his feet, a boulder that grew for each footfall forward. Jack was tired, bone-tired, and even with Goose overhead to guide him and the lady who stuck by his side, Jack could not deny that he wished he were back home again with Ma and Pa, with the griping village people, with the scary mountain looming overhead. At the least, he wouldn't be chased by men in armor or traipsing dark woods (that weren't his own anyways) or sopping wet or hungry or tired. Sure, people had shaken their heads at him with pursed lips. Yeah, the girls there didn't like him either. So what if he had no friends even among his brothers. Surely this was worse?

But how would he know?

Jack saw too late that Fi had tripped and fell on a root in the darkening forest, and the young man raced towards her, only to fall flat on his face himself. Goose waddled right over him, uncaring to his master's discomfort or foibles, stepping right on his spine in a bid to continue forward. With weariness in every fiber, Jack lifted himself up to go to Fi's side and knelt by her.

"You alright? You're crying. You didn't hurt yourself, did.... you....?" Jack said, realizing after a few moments that she was no longer looking at him, but rather over him.

He turned his gaze to what she was staring at, and he ducked in surprise as a whole flock of-of-of.... of Gooses touched down into the clearing, a whole ream of them. He stared at them, luminous in the moonlight, and he stared, mouth agape. Fi had grabbed his sleeve, but he paid no mind, mesmerized by the sight of their grace, frozen with childish wonder. For a few moments, he forgot his creaking bones and aching stomach.

Fi rushed towards them, and they nuzzled her neck, shoulders, and back, closing around her happily.

Jack laughed with a great smile, walking forward slowly. Goose honked at them, though not in his usual meanspirited away, as if to hail fellow brethren.

"You've got a Goose too! I mean, you have Gooses. There are so many!" Jack said. Forgetting his manners, the boy bowed to the geese (for obviously they must be Gooses -- what else could a white bird with a long neck be?) and said, "My name's Jack. My parents call me 'Dullard!' And this here, he's Goose."

He pointed back at his friend the fowl, and Goose honked once more, as if in affirmation that he was, indeed, Goose as spoken of, flapping his wings once for emphasis before stowing them and waggling his tail.
@Elle Joyner

BRIAR ROSE & REMIS HALIFAX A collaboration with @Elle Joyner
To think that a few days ago she was living relatively comfortable in Mulgrave. Over the course of a few weeks Briar found herself cast from the only world she knew, with only an old friend to help guide her. But now that friend, like many others before him, had abandoned her. There was something funny to make of it, but right now she couldn't find it. She was travelling with a man who she knew nothing about, in a land she knew nothing about. It seemed like life would never allow her to taste normality. They had rode in silence since the morning and Briar wasn't sure what she expected when he finally spoke up.

"Running from." She looked over to him, a smile on her lips but questions of her own on her tongue. "You?"

Chuckling, Remis turned his eyes forward again, but smiled brilliantly, "A little of both, Love. I thought maybe the Ruins would be a good last ditch effort to find a place to stay where I don't owe more than I got... But now I'm not so sure."

Eyes twitching briefly in her direction again, he quirked a brow, "What is it that you're running from? If you wanna say... if not, I won't trouble you."

Briar Rose smiled and shook her head. For a moment she mirrored him, light blue eyes looking forward at the long road stretched out before them.

"But now I'm not so sure..." She repeated. Briar looked back at him as well, her expression almost mischievous while she opted to keep her secrets, for now. "Why do you say that?"

His expression shifting, he frowned in thought, "It's not a place friendly to uh... To normal folk." Pointing to his amulet, he shrugged, "This belonged to my mother. It's the only reason they let me in."

"Normal folk? Briar laughed lightly. "Consider me intrigued. What about a person makes them abnormal enough for this ruin then? Don't tell me you come from a line of fiercely dedicated court jesters."

Clearing his throat, Remi smirked, "More like I am the family jester. You... you've not heard the rumors then? No... I don't suppose they'd travel far past Remoria. Magic users... Word is they've holed up in the ruins. It's a protected place... And usually the rumors are enough to keep people out. But just in case, they've got symbols like this.. So they'll know their own kind from regular folk. Course... I don't know a lick of it, but the charm works as safe passage for family, too."

She knew very little about the world and its politics beyond Mulgrave but she knew something about magic. It was evil. Her eyes trailed downwards before resting on her gloved hand holding onto the reigns. Just mentioning it was enough to send her throat spiraling down into her stomach. But of course, he couldn't have known that. Nobody knew of the pain magic has caused her.

Her smile faded but she kept her tone light. "But will the charm work for me? Or are we supposed to convince them we are family once we arrive?"

"I'm not even sure at this rate it'll work for me. If I said we were married..." Chuckling, he raised a hand to the back of his neck, "Dunno that they'll buy it for long... But it's somewhere to hide out till you can figure out where you wanna head?"

"One day and you're already proposing? I know I'm pretty Remi, but at least wait until you see my bad side before you go making a decision like that." She shot him another mischievous grin.

Laughing, Remis shook his head, "Not exactly the marrying type... No worries."

It wasn't much of a plan, but it would have to do for now, "It's not far, yet. You want to stop to eat?"

Well your more or less my guide at this point. If you think its a good idea then let's do it." Briar replied, shrugging. "Though somehow I doubt there's a nice hearty tavern just around the bend."

Grinning, Remis shook his head again, "Pretty much just us and the road from here on out. You wanna set up camp and I'll see if I can wrangle a rabbit or two?"

From red wine and finely cut beef to hoping she'd have some rabbit in her stomach by the end of the night. That's a fall from grace if she's ever seen one. Still, glancing over at her companion and approving the idea with a nod, there were worse positions to be in.

"You don't look much like the hunter gathering type, if I'm honest." Briar teased, laughing as she lulled her mount to a stop. "But I'm willing to be surprised."

• Nice Execution!
Reactions: Doctor Jax
Jacob Palin

How Wendy could snap from psycho-killer to worried sister was beyond Jacob, but at least she'd managed to pull herself out of it. He was having to fend her off now, as she waved around a thread and needle and gauze. "Stitch me up later," he hissed, grabbing her wrist and making her put down the med kit. He didn't need to be seen as any more vulnerable in front of this stranger, and the soldier, but the soldier was currently whimpering away, after Merek so interestingly.. bandaged him up.

Felt like five minutes ago they'd just been in the forest, now there was blood and guts all over the floor. His name on all of it. If he squinted, it could've been the Palin family disaster all over again. The horrifying scene, the pieces of his family members scattered on the floor. Why was he doing this? Had he become numb to this? If this was the kinda shit that Wendy dragged him into, did he really need to --

No, what was he saying? He'd never leave Wendy. No matter what she dragged him into. This wasn't their family disaster. It was another one, that they didn't need a part of.

Another man stepped into the house, leaving Jacob readying his axe again, just in case. But Merek embraced this one tightly. His brother. It occurred to Jacob that Merek hadn't quite realized that Wendy was his sister. Well. They didn't really need to stick around for that family reunion.

He grabbed her wrist once more, nodding towards the back door. "I think it's time we leave, Red." He whispered angrily, his tone hush but firm.

@Elle Joyner @Red Thunder

• Love
Reactions: Doctor Jax
Wendy Palin
Elderidge
The Loren House

"What my father wanted doesn't matter anymore, Merek; he's dead. The only thing that matters now is what I want." Wendy's brow furrowed in frustration as Jacob tried to prevent her ministrations. "And what I want right now is to get you stitched up."

At her brother's complaints, she growled. Merek had already left to bury the bodies, so the young woman focused her attention on tending to Jacob's injury. "No, I'm stitching you up
now. I don't want you to faint on me from blood loss." Besides, their host had stepped out, and despite both his and her brother's vehement insistent otherwise, Wendy had resolved to go with Merek to Bright Hedge, or wherever he was going. She'd been up and down the woods for years and found nothing in her search; maybe rumor of the Beast could be found there.

As Merek reentered, she was finishing up the last of the stitching. It hadn't required much, needing only six stitches to hold the skin together, but Jacob would need to take it easy for the next week or so, lest he aggravate the wound and tear the flesh at the stitches. She was in the middle of packing the supplies when she jumped, the knock bringing animalistic panic to her mind, and she reached for an axe.

But no, it was no enemy. A man stood in the doorway, perhaps a few years older than her and very obviously related to Merek. It was a touching reunion, if tinged by the tragedy of their brother's loss, and it reminded her of finding Jacob.

Jacob. He was pulling at her arm insistently, urging them to leave. Why? Why was he so determined to not get involved? Wendy gave his a cold look.

"So we can stumble through the woods for years yet, finding nothing for our troubles except the odd fool to free from troubles self-inflicted? No," she shook her head, prying her wrist from his grip so as to finish packing. "If our prey is still alive, it isn't in the woods in Elderidge any more. Maybe we can learn something in Bright Hedge."

Why did Jacob insist on them leaving Merek? Was he a coward? No; the month they'd been back together had shown he wasn't. But he seemed determined. Fine.

"Go, if you wanna. I'm not going to stop you. But I'm staying."

Wendy didn't want Jacob to go. Despite the awkwardness of trying to be a sister to a brother again and the conflict heir clash of wills brought, it was so good to have him back. But she had her own goals in mind, and would accomplish them her way. What Jacob did was up to him.

Last edited:
  • Love
Any other night, Uther would have absolutely argued the semantics on curfew, not to mention manners and respect for elders. The young were far too arrogant these days. But there were far more important matters. The girl knew of Aladria: she had the same mirror as he. How she got around unseen this whole time, Uther could only guess. Rickard, his only contact, his squire, was dead. His theory may have had legs after all, enough to kill over. He looked up to the sky and shook his head.

"Too damn rash," Uther mumbled a short memorial to his fallen student. The old knight then dismounted and led his horse by the reins.

"Lead the way," Uther said to Aelynn. He followed her in silence, regretting not being more forveful in his warnings to Rickard.

Anhlan Ai
a collab with @Elle Joyner

At Declan's command, Anhlan obeyed and lowered herself to a crouch in the grass. "Leave the axle here," she suggested. "I can check the perimeter."

Lowering the axle to the ground, Declan nodded and moved to inspect the cart, "Lock's been damaged... Be careful, Anhlan. If you see anyone, give a shout."

She gave a short nod and headed off into the brush, low and quiet in step. It was difficult to be completely silent in the crunch of the leaves and so she had to take on the pattern of a foraging critter. Declan had been gone from his cart for quite some time due to the burial. It wasn't all too surprising someone decided to help themselves to a seemingly abandoned cart, but since they had run into two rather unsavory twins it was wise to be cautious.

Looking through the cart, Declan frowned, running his fingers through his hair. Most of the equipment was still in place, but at least one barrel of power was missing, and several short arms.

Swearing, he closed the doors again, leaning against them to await Anhlan's return.

The earth was moist and soft from the morning frost that had since melted from the rising morning sun as it climbed further towards its peak. Tracking pilferers would be easy work as they tended to be people whose focus was everywhere but covering their tracks. Anhlan found the traces of brush bent from pressure made by a hefty force and footprints to match. She followed them to trace the footsteps of the possible culprit.

The prints led further down the path, eventually fading away into the darker, more compressed earth, but their destination was apparent for anyone who knew Mulgrave's layout. The Grave Road lay a few miles north, the thief or thieves headed in the only direction that made sense...

Now knowing the threat was long gone, Anhlan made her way back to the cart. "They headed North," she said, and then walked back over to pick up the axle from where they had last left it. "What will happen now?"

"I've got to report this... If they've gotten ahold of powder." Scratching the back of his neck, he sighed, "First things first, though, I need to get the rest of these supplies to the garrison, before someone else comes along looking for a handout from the supply shed. Damn..." Hands rubbing over his face, he fell silent for a moment, "Something very strange is going on. They've never been this bold..."

"Who are 'they' exactly?" Anhlan asked as she set the axle down and peered at the damage done to the previous one. "The same people the twins were involved in?"

Nodding, Declan straightened, "Are you familiar with the Grave Road, Anhlan? With the people who make their home there?"

"I am not," she said, and straightened herself to look over at Declan. "We're going to need to unload the cart for this installation."

Nodding, Declan opened the doors again, pulling himself up inside, "I'll hand the supplies down to you... Just mind the weapons." As he began handing them out, he spoke, a frown finding his expression, "The Grave Road is a den of thieves.... Scum of every kind. They made their homes in the caves years ago and formed something of their own society. We've done what we can to ensure the safety of the city... to patrol - to keep them under control, but they've grown, and they've branched out into more than theft. The king, he... He sympathizes, and so our hands are tied, unless they breach our walls. But they're dangerous, and it seems getting worse..."

She took each object handed to her and carefully set them upon the ground in neat stacks or rows. "How much powder did they steal?" she asked.

"There were six barrels... I'm counting five. A few of the weapons. It's not enough for a siege of any kind, but... but it would do some damage to the wall, if it were placed properly. I don't understand why they would try to attack Mulgrave, though. The king's all but pardoned them..."

The matter did seem concerning, but she knew so little of Mulgrave's politics she felt she could barely even speculate. It was strange a king allowed a band of miscreants to thrive and build when they seemed to always be a potential threat. "All it takes is one note to change a chord," she said. "Perhaps they want their new song to be heard."

"...But if this is how they intend to reach the king's ear, Anhlan?" Shaking his head, he grabbed the last of the barrels and carefully hefted it down, before climbing out, pressing a hand to his side with a frown, "I will have to speak to His Majesty on this matter... Once the cart is fixed, of course."

"I can fix the cart on my own if you need to take the horse and go," she offered as she swiveled the barrel off to the side. The powder kegs were the heaviest of the bunch, and while putting them back in the cart would be a terrible ordeal, it made it easier to address the broken axle. "I am not excusing their methods. I was merely suggesting that they could have had a change in leadership. One that wished anarchy or retaliation. I've seen it before."

"Those are my concerns, exactly. No... I'll stay. If anyone returns for more of the supplies, I wouldn't leave you on your own. I don't doubt you're capable of taking care of yourself, but this situation...It's dangerous. Highly..."

She used large rocks to carefully prop the cart up as she removed the broken axle and replaced it with the new. It was a far easier task with someone there to aid her. "The bolts seem to fit in well enough," she said as she secured the final wheel. "I wouldn't take the roads too quickly, though. Not until you get something properly fitted."

Meet The Goslings Though Actually Their Last Name Is Rimel[/size]

a collab between @Elle Joyner and @DoctorJax

From her position in the fray of white, Fiora looked up and hiccuped a laugh, her eyes, rimmed red, finding Jack as she nodded. The nearest swan was stroked across the bridge of his neck as Fi sank back.

There was no way to explain it quickly... No way that she felt Jack would be able to grasp after such an intense evening. Instead, she leaned forward and in the dirt began to carve letters into the dirt.

Names... Six of them. There was Miles, Thad, Henry, Pippin, Charles and Graham.

To each name, she gestured to the proper swan, then looked up to Jack and mouthed the word 'brothers'.

Of course, true to his nature, Jack had a hard time reading the names. He often had to sound things out to himself, and he typically grew frustrated with the task of reading. However, these seemed rather important, as Fi -- for her own reasons -- couldn't talk. He managed to get to "Henry" before merely looking at the first letters of names instead. M, T, H, P, C, G....

At seeing Fi mouth a word, he frowned.

"Mothers?"

That was odd. Usually people only had one mother, not six. And besides, how does a goose make a gal?

"Oh! Brothers!" Jack finally caught on. "But...."

He frowned.

"They're birds. Is your mother a goose?"

The swan nearest picked at Fi's skirt and reaching into her pocket she tossed out a small handful of grain, repeating the gesture six more times for the others, and then Goose.

When she had finished, she looked up to Jack again, her mouth moving silently, forming the word 'spell',then again to form,'magic'.

Jack definitely understood that! He had grown up hearing about magic, and he nodded his head in understanding.

"Where I'm from, over by the Mountain, some says there's a witch up there," Jack stated mysteriously. " 'N so magic gets thick 'round that way. Your brothers got turned into geese? That's a pity. They look like nice folk."

He crouched down next to one -- G! -- and said, "What's it like being a goose? I tried asking Goose, but he won't answer me much."

Goose honked raucously at that statement of abuse, before quickly going back to his pecking at the ground.

Laughing softly, Fi shook her head, gesturing to the swans, before holding a finger to her lips. They couldn't speak... And with her own silence, it made for an exceptionally lonely life.

Finally straightening, dusting herself off, she nodded to the path ahead of them, steepling her hands like a pitched roof as she mouthed 'home', then waved him along.

For the distance they had come, it wasn't far yet to her small hovel. About a mile later, made slightly longer with their parade of water fowl, the mud hut came into view. It was barely big enough for Fiora, possessing no solid door, no windows, and a straw bed on the floor with a few scattered pots here and there the only belongings. Behind the hut, a pond, man made, it seemed, which her kin made for, gliding smoothly into the murky surface. Gesturing Jack to a small flat stone by an unlit fire, Fiora moved into the hut, emerging a minute later with her arms full. A loaf of bread, stale but fresh, two apples, parchment and charcoal. She sank down into the dirt and handing Jack the food, began to sketch across tbe parchment as much of her miserable story as she could convey through pictures.

Jack took the food and ate with gusto. He was absolutely starved, his stomach little more than a flat sack of meat. He heartily tore into the food, despite the bread's staleness and the fact he hated apples. There was no dislike for food when one was this hungry.
He waited patiently for her to stop....whatever it was she was doing, instead appreciating her tiny abode. He'd seen many like it as a child. His mother once told him he might end up with one of his own one day if he "didn't straighten out and fly right!" He'd been awfully excited.

Finally, Fiora completed the images. They were crude, but she anticipated that he might have an easier time with less detail anyhow - depicting her stepmother's curse, the poisoned broth, her brother's transforming. She also drew the images of the nettles and the shirt she was meant to sew for each swan. Lastly, she drew an image of the swan, wearing this shirt, and returning to a man... To this image, she gestured to her throat. Though whether or not he would understand any of it, she couldn't be sure.

As she held the drawings out to him, she grabbed an apple and sat back to eat.

Jack pored over the drawings for a good long time. They were good drawings -- he knew that this was a goose and this a woman and this a pot -- but the meaning was sometimes lost on him. Somehow a lady turned Fi's brothers into birds, and now Fi had to put shirts of something on them to make them men again.

"Oh.....so someone made them gooses," Jack said sagely, as if understanding a deep, abiding truth. "What's this thing here though?"

He didn't recognize the plant she'd drawn. He didn't know if they had any where he came from, and besides, all plants looked the same to Jack.

'Thistles', Fiora mouthed with a frown and for punctuation, held out hands, still raw and red beneath the bandages. Then holding up a finger, she rose and entered the hut, returning a minute later with a woven basket full of the prickly burrs.

Jack cocked his head to the side in his attempt to understand what she meant, but she seemed to pick up on his confusion and instead came back with the plant thus described.

He winced in sympathy as he picked up one of the spiny plants gingerly.

"That's awful!" Jack stated incredulously. "You've got such nice hands too... Ah, that's why you need that plant we got! For your hands, because of the thistles. But... you can't make a shirt out of this. Can you?"

After all, it was so... so horribly prickly. It would make for an awful shirt. Maybe it was better to remain a goose.

She nodded, but it wasn't entirely enthusiastic, and with a small frown, she held up two fingers. She had nearly forgotten how much time had passed since she had begun her quest to break the curse, but only two shirts had been made... and with four to go, it was going to be a very long time before she could speak again.

Sinking down onto her rock, she pulled a thistle from the basket and held it, gingerly, the little needles sticking to the bandages. Dropping it back in with the others, she plucked the needles from the cloth and looked back up to Jack.

With another frown, she shook her head, then gestured to him, mouthing for him to tell her about himself, instead.

Jack felt a spike of pity as he watched her pick up one of the spiny plants from the basket. He would help if he could, but he was not a master at weaving. In fact, he'd tried his hand at it, and his mother had had to buy a new loom afterwards. He'd had no dinner for three days after...

However, Fi seemed to insist that he tell her about himself, and he sat there open-mouthed and dumbstruck. If he was honest.... no one had ever asked him about himself. Not a single person had ever wanted to know what Jack the Dullard thought, though that was a fair assessment, as it was typically nothing at all.

Jack finally said, "I, uh... Well, I, um, I don't have six brothers. And my family isn't cursed. We just live next to a big mountain, is all. I come from someplace far south, and it's a nice place, if you don't mind tall trees with slimy moss and lots of cold and damp. I had two brothers, but one of 'em went missin'. My other brother, he went lookin' for him, and... well, he went missin' for a li'l while, but then came back! And when I went to go looking for my brother, I found Goose!"

He pointed to the mentioned fowl, who only flapped his wings.

"But Goose weren't well behaved, so he got kicked out, and I couldn't bare to leave him on his own. So I went with him," Jack said with a dope-ish smile.
[/hr]

Noticing his expression, some of the young girl's hubris seemed to crumble at little and awkwardly, she lowered her gaze, fiddling with the gilded edge of the magical mirror, her bare foot shuffling in the dirty of the path. As he moved, she did, heading in the direction she had come from, and for a moment she was silent, but when she spoke it was with a significantly less challenging tone.

"Mum and I… we ain't from around these parts. Come up from the east, when Mum needed work. Back there, we lived in the slums… and I guess it's the sort of place you get used to people dyin'. It's not that we take it lightly, but it's just expected. Try not to get attached to folks… cause somethin'll rip them away. It's better here, but only just…"

Tucking the mirror into her pocket, she rubbed her arms, looking over at Uther, "Anyway… Long way to say I'm sorry if I dropped the news a bit harder than intended. I didn't know him, the Captain, but Mum was rivers about it… so if it got her that shook, I can't think he was a bad guy. I'm Aelynn, by the way… Here we are."

Gesturing, she paused beside a small wooden door, neatly tucked into an alleyway. She pushed the door open and allowed him to pass through, before stepping into the small hovel. It was one room, with a bed tucked into the corner, a rickety chair that looked to be well used beside a stove, a few odds and ends hanging from hooks on the ceiling or suspended on shelves. A woman paced before the stove, ringing her hands, but she stopped as the pair entered.

Without a word, she crossed the floor and reaching, took hold of Uther's hands in her own calloused grasp, "Aladria works quickly, thank God. Please, come in… Sit. I'm Cath. Did Aelynn explain?"

@Toogee

While she worked, Declan paced, silently, trapped in thought. It was only when she spoke a good while later that he glanced over at her, smiling gingerly as he shook his head, "Hell... I'll be lucky if I don't lose my job for this, Anhlan. I'm in no rush to get back."

The rocks were removed to allow the cart to rest its weight upon the new axel. "Back in Kyxia soldiers were executed for supplying enemies with weapons," Anhlan stated and pushed back the stray wisps of hair from her face. The winter chill no longer nipped at her exposed skin now that she felt the heat of labor. "But that was only if they came back empty handed."

Chuckling dryly, Declan raked his fingers through his hair, before he got to work loading the supplies back inside, "That's not exactly encouraging..."

She smiled back at him in a moment of amusement. "Luckily for you," she said," this is not Kyxia. But you could always still try the route of stealing your supplies back. That is what the soldiers of Kyxia did if they truly desired to please their king. If they got all of their supplies back they never had to report them missing in the first place. Instead they got to report taking out miscreants on their own accord. A better report."

He fell quiet for a moment, considering the option, before shaking his head, "I realize I'm beginning to repeat myself, but you are certainly not what one expects from a woman, Ana. Either way, I'll need to get the wagon off the road, or I'll be hunting down the rest of these supplies, later."

A small laugh escaped her, quiet and lofty. "Only a few more to go," she said as she continued to load the cart with his supplies. "And then we part ways."

Hefting another barrel in, Declan watched her in thought, then spoke, "...Unless you'd like to help?"

Anhlan shifted the barrel to rest against the side of the cart and looked over at Declan curiously. "Are you going after the lost supplies, then?" she asked.

"Once I've hidden away the cart, it seems the best option to pursue. Not just to save my job, but because it's the right thing... I can't risk them using those materials on Mulgrave citizens. Or anyone, for that matter."

She wiped off her palms and nodded to Declan. "If you had left I would have done it myself," Anhlan admitted. "We can use one of the abandoned farms to hide the cart for the time being. They're likely overlooked by passersby unless someone's looking for a place to stay for the night."

Smirking, Declan shook his head, "...You are remarkable..." And closing the doors, he secured the lock, before heading to the front, "Climb on up."

Anhlan hoisted herself onto the bench. "If it's not too much trouble, may I borrow your horse once we reach the nearest farm?" she asked. "Just to pick up something from the Johan's before we head out."

"Of course..." Declan nodded, and he gave the reins a small snap to start the cart horse forward. It wasn't as long a journey back to the abandoned farms and before long, Declan had the cart stashed away, hidden in a barn behind a large stack of dried hay. He unhitched the horse and leading it over to Anhlan, held the leather binds out to her, "...I'll wait here. Be careful, hm?"

His trust in her was evident, to which she had no plans to sully. Her head bowed in thanks to him before mounting the horse and heading off towards the Johan's farmstead. It was still quiet as they were away, and so she quickly headed for the barn. The family horse whinnied at the sight of a newcomer, to which Declan's horse returned the gesture. "Don't tell anyone what you see," she playfully told the horse as she removed a long box from behind the slats of a partition.

Gold as bright as the sun gleamed without need of a light source as Anhlan removed her sword from within. It carried the marks of many battles and was still kept sharp and clean. She secured the sheathe to her belt and gave a pat to the horse before leaving and closing the barn once again. It felt a relief to be able to wear her sword once again and not have to hide away her past.

Once this was over, of course, she would have to return to a carpenter's life. She was content in that, but she still couldn't shake the feeling of purpose that welled within her the closer she came to returning to Declan and their coming endeavor. Anhlan was sure to make her return obvious as she approached the abandoned farmstead and dismounted.

"Declan?" she called out.

Declan appeared not a moment later from out of the barn. While she had been away, he had padded the wound in his side with supplies from the cart, and walked now with significantly less challenge.
He approached Anhlan, and a brow quirked as he looked her over, eyes shifting to the blade on her belt, but they returned to her gaze and the curiosity was relinquished, "Ready, then?"

"I'm ready," she said with a nod. "How far is it to the Grave road?"

"Few miles..." He nodded, as he took the reins and let the horse into the barn. He'd managed to free a bit of hay for the beast, and tied him to a post before he gestured ahead of them, "Won't take much more than an hour to get there... I'd take the horse, but it's honestly best to walk. Less noticeable. Do you think you can track the footprints you found?"

"Yes," she confirmed with a nod. "There was a distinct imprint the boot had. We'll be looking for one with a defined heel and an outward rolling gait. The outward line of the footprint digs deep into the earth. Likely a bow-legged man."

Nodding, Declan started for the path, his eyes briefly flickering down to her sword again. He walked in silence for a few minutes, before clearing his throat, "That's some nice craftmanship. Something from your home, I suppose?"

She nodded her head in response, somewhat unable to conjure words in the matter. All this time and the emotional wound of her banishment still felt fresh. Why did love have to be so abhorrent? Once again, she repressed her feelings in the matter before anger could grip her heart. "It is the only possession I have from home," she said.

Another nod followed, as Declan returned his eyes to the road, "You didn't leave well, did you?"

She carefully chose her next words after his observation hit the nail squarely. "I am not a criminal," she assured. "I was exiled for getting a man killed."

"I didn't think..." But perhaps that wasn't entirely true. It had crossed his mind that not all who were good with a weapon were soldiers, "It doesn't matter. Mulgrave is your home, and we are not so quick to judge. At least, I'm not."

Pausing, he considered his words, before continuing, "Did you know him? The man...?"

"I did," she said softly, and kept her eyes to the road. "Many did. He was an important man who got caught up in my mistake. The king was merciful in allowing me to live that day."

"Sometimes..." Declain proceeded, his gaze suddenly guarded, "Our mistakes harm those we care about more than we'd ever intend. But that doesn't make them any less mistakes. I'm sorry for what happened, and for your loss. Truly, I know how you feel."

Her head darted over to look at Declan almost unsure if she heard him. It never crossed her mind that she would not be the only one to suffer such an ordeal, but which parts? "I am sorry as well," she said in kind. "I consider it a well learned lesson despite it all."

Nodding, Declan forced a smile, "And sometimes those mistakes, no matter the consequences, can still lead to better paths. I hope for your sake, Ana, that's the case."

Tags: @Effervescent

Alfeus shrugged lazily, eyes glinting hard in the afternoon sun. His body was relaxed, even, strong. For a moment he stood there, eyeing the man in front of him while keeping both prisoners in his peripherals. Alfie didn't neglect the tone in his voice, nor the toying of his blade's hilt.

"Looks like we got a problem, then, friend." Alfeus said calmly, the grip on his blade growing comfortable. "Whatever shall we do?"

The man's eyes narrowed, and he stepped forward, his gaze challenging, "You really don't understand how this works... Do you? No wonder you were demoted to that cesspool Grave Road. Insubordinate little sh-"

"I know you." Lilianna finally muttered and behind the fear in her voice there was a note of anger, "Your the son of a bitch who.."

"Goldie... Ho. This is a prize indeed." Pulling his blade free, he pointed the tip towards Alfeus, "Run back to the caves, Boy. I'm taking them.."

"Uhm, yea..." Katze muttered, "I'd really rather you didn't take either of us, personally. You seem awfully-- oh, how do I put this politely? You seem awfully crude, mister."

Of course, Katze wasn't exactly thrilled with the development. The idea of being sold off to someone other than that measly little guard meant certain death for Katze-- either for sport or by labour. He would certainly have a better fate than whatever one the woman met, but still.

There was little time to think. Little time to act. So he acted on instinct. And, like always, it would probably come back and bite 'em on arse.

He reached out with his leg, kicking the wrist and handle of the blade nearest him and then with a sidelong slash, brought his own blade down upon the male prisoner's knotted ties. His blade was sharp, kept clean and honed every night... but he'd specifically chosen this strand of rope. It had sliced through a good amount but he'd need to work it free himself if he wanted to be free of it.

"Wanna dance, fat boy?" Alfeus taunted to the man in front of him, bouncing on the balls of his feet.

A disgraced and demoted man he was, and though they could take his honor, they couldn't take his skill. There was a reason his demotion had caused such a stir... he was the best after all.

Without attracting too much attention, he threw his end of the rope to Lil, hoping with all his might she'd catch it and run.

But Lilianna didn't run. As the man squared off against Alfeus, large and slightly beleaguered by the unexpected display, but nevertheless well trained, Lil did something both potentially stupid and intensely satisfying. As the man met Alfeus with a defiant glare, tip of his sword glancing against the younger guard's blade, he muttered an angry threat of, "You'll regret this..."

And that was the precise moment Lilianna's foot swung upwards, to clip the ignorant man between the legs.

He wheezed and stumbled back, clutching his most precious jewels whilst, to some pitiful credit, clutching his sword, that had begun to shake from lack of concentration.

"You are the worst criminal I've ever seen!" Katze exclaimed when Lilianna lashed forward with grit and determination, catching the guard off-guard, which was kind of funny when Katze thought about it, but he was too busy wrestling his hands from the partially sliced ropes. It took him a few moments, nearly skinning his wrists, before he wrangled the ropes free.

Taking Lilianna's lead, Katze took the rope and looped it around the man's fat neck, pulling it just tight enough to keep him wheezing. "You're awfully lucky I don't like being in debt," he mentioned pointedly to Alfeus.

He wasn't gone long, for while Remis was a lot of things, he tried, when he could, to be something of a gentleman. Whatever Briar had left behind, it had been enough to scare her into Remoria, which spoke lengths as to the risk she had been willing to take to escape.

Her former companion might have been more comfortable abandoning her to her journey, but Remis wasn't going to do the same. There was also, slightly less to the credit of his character, a significant chance that she had some monetary fortune, given her obvious ladylike nature, and if that was indeed the case, it was further benefit to him to stick around.

He wasn't outrightly a selfish man, but he was certainly practical.

And so he returned with as much swiftness as he could, carting with him two rabbits that he'd managed to wrangle in a trap. It was a skill he had learned as a soldier and perhaps one of the few useful traits he had retained after all this time.

Sinking onto a stone by the fire, he pulled a knife from his boot and set to work cleaning the first rabbit, "Food's pretty scarce in these parts, these days… I'll cook both of these up, so we can take some with us." Smiling faintly, he shrugged, "I apologize ahead of time. I'm not the best cook there is, but it's food, anyway."

"What... what are you doing here, Travis??"

Stepping away from his brother, Merek frowned. As far as timing was considered, it was perhaps not the worst possible, but it was certainly notable. Travis's smile faded as his brother eyed him and looking up at the others, he rubbed the back of his neck, giving the pair a tentative nod.

"Didn't realize you had company. Got word back in town someone had seen Tom wandering this way, figured I'd see… What?"

"Tom's dead." Merek concluded, making his way to the table, where he plucked up the letter.

"He's d… He…" Paling, Travis sank back against the doorframe, rubbing his hands over his face. He swore, softly, then a little louder, "What happened, Mer?"
Handing over the letter, Merek shook his head, "Gets worse. We were attacked, not a few hours after it happened. By Elderidge guards I don't know what's going on, Travis. But… but I need to find out. I'm headed for Bright Hedge."

"I'm coming with you…"

"You can't. You've got the forge.. Margo."

"Margo left." Frowning, Travis looked down at the parchment, his eyes dancing over the page, "A few months ago."

"I'm sorry. I… I didn't know."

"Yeah, well. It's been a while, hasn't it? Doesn't matter, Mer. I'm coming with you."

His eyes danced from his brother, back to Wendy and Jacob and with a small frown, he shook his head, "...The lot of you… Mad. And you'll drive me there, too. Fine. If you're coming, we need to leave, now. I'll pack a bag of supplies."

As he wandered off to his bureau, Travis pushed off the doorframe, moving closer to the fire, a honey-brown gaze drifting down to the dying embers, "...Hell, Tom. What did you do…?" Straightening up again, he turned towards the other two with a curious glance "Sorry… Um. I'm Travis… Merek's brother. I don't think we've met."

NPCS: Fiora Rimel | Eirlys Vance

When he finished, Fi stared at him for a long, quiet minute, blinking slowly as she took in his story. She knew what people might say... that he was a fool - and maybe by some degree or another, they weren't wrong. But she didn't see it.

She saw something in Jack that she had never seen in anyone before. A simple, rooted kindness... One that could not be taught or learned. It was ingrained within him - and it made him so lovely.

Breathing out, Fiora looked over at the swans, gliding like white clouds across the surface of the pond. She had given up everything for them... Her entire life dedicated to making them whole. Jack had given up his own home to follow after a goose with poor manners. In a lot of ways, people would think they were mad.

But all Fiora saw was someone who understood that not everything made sense, but you couldn't always do what the world expected of you, if you wanted to do the right thing.

Rising a little, she leaned across the span between her and Jack and as she had in the palace, she pressed a kiss to the apple of his cheek.

Jack sat perfectly still as Fiora leaned towards him wondering what it was that she was doing. After all, when he told that story to people, they typically gave him a look that was blank, empty, completely devoid of anything before saying something along the lines of "That's nice" or "Well." And it was there usually that the conversation died, and Jack had no idea why.

Fi, however, could not speak a word, for reasons he still didn't understand, but he did know that he liked Fi, and he hoped that her leaning towards him was not to give him a hard stare. While he hadn't understood why the conversations he took part in died, he did understand that something he'd said earned him that dead look. He should have learned by now not to tell his story, but alas -- he was a fool.

Instead, however, Fi leaned close and gave him a kiss to the cheek, the second in a day. His eyebrows rose and he sat there, shell-shocked. She smelled sweet -- almost like fresh bread or hay. Her hair brushed his face momentarily, a tickle of the ends on his hands and face. The moment was quickly over, but it seemed to resonate for quite a while longer to Jack, who sat there with a dumbstruck expression.

"Y-you keep doing that," Jack finally stated.

Smiling gingerly, giving a shrug, she sank back. It was one of those moments where she would have liked the opportunity to talk... To explain herself.

To explain that he was the first person she had ever met who didn't treat her as though she were completely mad. He was sweet and kind and simple... And in a world where there was so much conflict, he was refreshing.

She wanted to explain that his story was so encouraging... To know someone possessed such compassion.

She'd have liked to tell him that she just plain liked him... That she enjoyed his company...

But she couldn't voice any of that. Instead, she reached for his hand and gave it a squeeze, then pointed to the leftover bread and apples.

"Oh! No, I'm not hungry," said Jack with a smile, still quite over the moon about the whole peck thing. He'd already eaten quite a lot of bread as it was.

"But.... I am sort of sleepy. Is there anywhere to sleep?" he asked.

Nodding, Fiora gestured to the small hut, to the straw bed inside. It had been a long day, and exhaustion was beginning to creep over her, as well, but after all Jack had done for her, it seemed only fair he should get the more comfortable spot - if it could be called comfortable...

Settling back on her stone, she pulled the basket of thistles close to her and fished out the twine she used to sew the burrs together, and began to work.

"Are....are you not gonna sleep? How're you gonna be making shirts if you're so tired you can't see?" Jack asked as he realized -- belatedly - that Fi wasn't coming to take the comfy spot on the hay.

Jack himself had taken up a spot on the floor. He'd slept on his share of flags and at least this hut had another person and less angry boot tips.

Looking over, Fi frowned softly. She was behind on her work... Behind on gathering, on sewing. And however tired she might have been, for truly she was nearly spent, she also had a renewed desire to finish the clothes for her brothers... She had a friend, now. One whom she desperately wanted to speak to.

Managing a smile, she nodded and mouthed the word, 'soon'.

While Jack was hardly satisfied with that answer, he tucked his head head down on his elbow. Not long after, Goose slowly waddled in as well-- and made himself at home on Fi's bed. Before long both were fast asleep.

While Jack slept, Fi set a fire in the small pit and got to work sewing. Tirelessly, she worked, nettles sticking into the bandages, into her fingers until her hands were raw again. But she didn't feel it like she normally did... not the same way, anyway.

Sometime, a few hours before daybreak, she drifted off to sleep, not of her own volition, arms curled beneath her head, and half a thistle-sewn shirt beside her in the dirt.

It was shortly before sunrise, the sky a sullen, murky grey, that the figure entered the small hut. Bending down, she pressed a cool, soft hand over Jack's mouth, a finger to her lips.

@Doctor Jax @BearEnthusiast (Harrison)

Next update 5/31

• Love
Wendy Palin
Elderidge
the Loren Home

"We haven't." Wendy's tone was flat, if polite. "I knew Merek when I was a kid, before, uh-" It was impossible to know how much Travis knew, from Merek or otherwise, about her family's tragedy.

She shrugged, closing her supplies within her pack and hoisting it onto her shoulders. Frowning, it dawned on her that her second hatchet still lay somewhere about the place. She turned her attention to it, giving her name without looking up. Great; another body to feed. And to keep safe. Travis couldn't really be faulted; he only wanted what Jacob himself wanted, in his way. Each wanted their sibling safe, and the only way they'd feel comfortable about that is if they came along.

"I'm Wendy. This here is my brother, Jacob."

Ah. Brother. Oops. Wendy shot Travis a glance, gauging his reaction. Considering the suddenness of it, he'd taken the news of Tom's death well, focusing instead on action. She smiled. Maybe he wouldn't be such a baggage. Grief was worthless, save that it moved limbs. And vengeance was an excellent outlet for it. Merek wanted it; Wendy could feel it. And Travis almost certainly did, too. If only Jacob would be so forthright about his own desire.m, instead of trying to get her to sneak back into the woods with him, sulking in eternal inaction.

Ah, the second hatchet. She picked it up and gave it a toss before shoving it back into its sheath.

"So. Lets go, then."

As Aelynn explained life in the slums, Uther was focused on planning his next move. There would be time to mourn Rickard later; he had to make sure he didn't lose the king in the same night. If the perpetrators found Rickard out, they may be forced to accelerate their plans. For all Uther knew, the king could be throttled in his sleep while he was walking through the alley. It was imperative that he get to the house and secure communication with Aladria.

Soon enough, they had arrived. Uther was greeted by a very relieved woman. It was good to have new allies when he seemed to be losing them just as quickly.

"Yes, your daughter filled me in," Uther replied. "Now, I'll need to update Aladria on what has occurred. Before I do, do you know of anyone from the castle that was a friend of Rickard? I fear there are more in danger."

Uther tried to keep the details vague; he wasn't sure what Aladria had shared.

• Love
BRIAR ROSE tags: @Elle Joyner
Briar Rose watched him curiously as he disappeared into the forest in search of their dinner. He was a man who she knew very little about yet she felt an undeniable easiness speaking to him. There were more layers to him than she had originally thought and for a moment she considered trying her hand at peeling them back.

It would be something for them to do out on the open road, a challenge for her, and most importantly--something to fill up the quietness of the countryside she found incredibly uncomfortable. Yes... the more she thought on the idea the more appealing it became. Briar decided that she wouldn't be satisfied until she learned something new about him at the end of each and every day.

The only thing she'd have to look out for as she sought out his secrets, of course, was to make sure she kept her own just as guarded.

Never the type to simply sit and wait, the red haired woman dismounted and tied her horse onto a sturdy tree. Starting a fire was her first priority and so she quickly set out for dry wood and kindling. When she returned she wasted no time and knelt down, getting to work with furrowed eyebrows and a little sweat.

While they certainly were some of the worse years of her life, Briar managed to learn some things from the men who paid to lay with her. In the aftermath, Briar remembered constantly feigning an innocent sort of wanderlust. With her head lying on their chest and her arms wrapped around their neck she'd ask them about the world and what it required to survive it. Most men offered little more than a proposition to take her out for an evening but there were an occasional few who told her of something practical.

The fire had just grown to a comfortable size when Remi finally returned. She smiled lightly when she caught sight of the rabbits but didn't express much... at least until she realized he seemed intent on doing all the work. A small frown found her rosy lips and quickly she drew her own blade and moved towards him.

"I'm sleeping by the side of the road Remi. I don't exactly expect some kind of feast." She scoffed, though her tone was more playful than anything. Briar picked up the other rabbit, settled down close to him, and after taking a moment to observe the process, she began mimicking his movements. "Just tell me if I'm doing something wrong..."

HARRISON tags: @Elle Joyner
The water was not nearly as liquid as a dive like his required. A practiced athlete, his form on the way down was practical but it mattered little when his body was consumed by the thick, muddied waters.

Fiercely determined, he gave himself little time to recover and began the arduous task of carving a pathway for himself. A combined effort of all his limbs he maneuvered the slosh the best he could, but by the time Harrison found solid footing, the trio were right at the tree line. His clothes soaked in brown water and the heels of his boots caked in mud, he took off after them as relentless as ever.

From castle grounds to a blackened woods, Harrison cursed silently as his chase led him through hell and back. In the end however, the tracks of his marks disappeared among the entangled roots and brittle leaves. Whatever drying the sprint had done for his clothes was for naught as it was soon replaced by his own sweat.

Finally he stopped and allowed himself a moment to heave. Deep, strained breaths came from the retainer as his heart--along with the rest of his body, slowed to a lull. The woman, the man, and his feathered companion had escaped and he had failed.

A wave of shame washed over him at the thought and dejected, he turned and began back on the path towards Bright Hedge.

It was only when he swore he passed by the same hollowed tree for the third time did Harrison finally realize... he had no idea what was the path back to the castle. It did not help that exhaustion had fully settled in and that daylight was fading away.

As night came so did thoughts of his demise. He wandered the darkened woods for hours but found no way out or in. Every turn seemed to bring him back to the same opening, until finally something different occurred. Harrison was certain he never walked down a hill so when the sudden decline caught him off guard, he found himself of balance and tumbling downwards.

Thorns and roots alike hit him all the way down, tearing at his shirt and flesh until finally rest came in the form of the bottom. A series of groans and coughs came from him. He was tired, too tired to move even an inch. His cheek throbbed in pain and the warmth of his blood trailing down his face was the last sensation he felt before consciousness left him

Last edited by a moderator:
Jacob Palin

Jacob kept his teeth gritted as she stitched him up. Why wouldn't she listen? Why did she have to get herself tangled into every mess she came across? It was like she had this hunger to snap someone's neck. Sometimes he wondered if this was even his sister, but then he reminded himself that she was currently bandaging his wounds. God, that hurt.

"Go, if you wanna. I'm not going to stop you. But I'm staying."

A look of hurt crossed his face at her words, and not the physical type, though that was there too. What drove Wendy so fiercely to leave her last piece of family just to help a stranger?

Jacob couldn't understand. Hadn't she been searching for redemption? Here he was! He was her redemption, wasn't he? Her last piece of family? What more did she need? He certainly didn't need anything else.

But he stayed quiet, listening to the new person speak. Merek's brother. Or, his other brother. This guy had a lot of brothers. Apparently his wife left? No forge? Another person for their mystical adventure? Great. Great! Absolutely fantastic. His cheeks reddened with anger but still he said nothing to his sister or to the brothers.

At Wendy's introduction he gave a meager wave, glaring at her, bushy eyebrows furrowed. He stepped up to her, shoulder to shoulder, hand on his recently stitched wound.

"I'll come." His voice was dropped low to a whisper, so only she could hear.

"But please, Wendy. Think about what you're throwing yourself into. You're not alone anymore, alright?"

Every word she spoke, and every word he spoke too, made her feel more and more like a stranger. Had she already been one since they'd found each other?

@Elle Joyner @Red Thunder

Noticing his expression, some of the young girl's hubris seemed to crumble at little and awkwardly, she lowered her gaze, fiddling with the gilded edge of the magical mirror, her bare foot shuffling in the dirty of the path. As he moved, she did, heading in the direction she had come from, and for a moment she was silent, but when she spoke it was with a significantly less challenging tone.

"Friends?" Frowning, Cath shrugged and moving to the small stove in the corner, she stirred the contents of a large copper pot, "Rick always seemed too busy for friends. Allies, sure. Most of his men would stand by him, through anything. But why would they be in danger?" Frowning, she looked over her shoulder at the former knight.

"You feel it, too, then? Rumor's already runnin' 'round the palace sayin' he was killed by some guests of the queen, but it don't make sense up or down to me. Rick's no fool. Wouldn't put himself at risk unless there was good cause to."

With a sigh, she pushed the pot off the flames and turned to her daughter, "Seems to me only one we need to worry about right now is you. Best you stay clear of the palace. At least clear of the queen and her guards. Aelynn knows all the servant entrances… She could sneak you in if it's a matter what can't be passed on. What's Aladria have you in Bright Hedge for?"

@Toogee

"Then maybe we can work together." Alfeus replied back, a bit too snarky. After all, the question was quite sincere.

With the swamp-wood hilt of his dagger, he brought it down upon the man's temple. Hard enough to draw blood. He motioned Katze forward with his blade. "While we're all being cooperative, why don't we get this rope off and run."
As the pair moved in tandem to immobilize the vile soldier, the pommel of Alfeus's weapon came down on his temple and the man crumpled with a groan. Lilianna stepped back, glaring down at him with a small shake of her head.

How many others had not been so lucky? How many others had been handed over without a thought.

Shuddering, she looked up and gave a nod as Alfeus suggested the run, holding out her wrists, "...Sounds like the best plan you've had all day."

Katze wasn't thrilled he was being motioned with a blade of all things, but he stepped forward reluctantly and jutted his hands out towards the man. He had managed to get the ropes apart, but still, one of the knots had dug in deep and his right wrist was still tied off badly. His fingers of that hand were beginning to purple with lack of blood flow. "Together is fine," he agreed, deciding that perhaps he could stick around with the two if he was doing so under his own free will and not the guard's demands for shackles.

He sawed through the rope of Katze's rope bondage and motioned Lilianna forward so he could do the same.

"Quickly." Alfie snapped. "Save the rope if you can but we gotta' go -- like now."

When her wrists were free, Lilianna rubbed them with a frown. Even with the scraps of cloth beneath them, the ropes had not been king to the striations on her skin from her tumble off the wall. Decidedly, their escape was not going as well as it could have.

Still... It could have been worse, she supposed. Nodding at Alfie's words, she started forward again, glancing over at the guard after a moment of silence, "...Thank you. For not... Hm. Most of your comrades would not have done the same."

Running seemed like a keen idea. He didn't, after all, believe the woman had any form of information that was any bit valuable. Even if it had been valuable at one time, it was likely now too out of date. Furthermore, Katze cared little for finding a stolen away princess. He had only pretended to care to earn his freedom, and freedom he had earned.

Still, he felt a certain level of agreement with the woman and the guard and he decided to stick with them a little longer. There could be safety in numbers and he didn't know this area well. Following a stride behind Lilianna, "Mmm, yea, perhaps you aren't complete boot scum."

Alfeus cracked a smile but didn't spare his breath for a reply. Lengthening his stride, he motioned for them to run quicker... if they could get to the tree line they had a chance of making it to the Grave Road without being seen.

The silence was rounded as the trio made their way towards the treeline, the only sound the swiftness of their footfall. Only when they reached the sanctuary of the forest did Lilianna slow, bending over to catch her breath. Her arms her, her chest hurt... Her back was achey and her head ringing from the fall... But they had made it. Somehow... They had made it.

Katze, athletic and mostly unharmed, bounded into the forest-line and below the cover of trees with lungs full of air and a steady beat of heart. His eyes very nearly shone with equal parts amusement and annoyance, glancing back to Lilianna, who had doubled over, and the guard. "Guess that makes you a criminal now, mate," Katze mused with a slinky half-smile.

"Wouldn't be the first time, mate." Alfeus replied with a smirk.

Glancing around, Alfeus took in the canopied safety and nodded once... twice... A third time. Fishing the half-coiled rope from his wrist, he looped it up and shoved it deep into his pack. Neither were trustworthy, they were criminals after all...

But not every criminal was inherently evil.

"I have clean linen in my satchel," Alfeus said to Lilianna. "But we need to get deeper within the swamp before we stop running." He turned to Katze and thought for a moment. "You could have left," Alfeus said. "But you didn't." He outstretched his palm slowly.

"Thanks."

A brow quirked as Lilianna looked between the pair. Her curiosity was peeked, to put it mildly, by Alfeus's admission of previous criminal activity, but then... with the way most of the soldiers in Mulgrave behaved, it wasn't so shocking.

Straightening upright, she took in their surroundings with a small frown, rubbing her wrists, gingerly, "Sure it's wise... going in deeper? Not friendly grounds 'round here."

"I am not your mate," Katze remarked cooly, turning his eyes briskly, "I have no mates or kin, but you're a sufficient enough ally, I guess." He shrugged, still jogging loosely. His broad chest, nearly too broad for his frame as it was, rose and fell with deep breaths that kept him fit in his jog.

It was the turn of a hand that caused his eyes to narrow suspiciously. His mind went immediately to it being a trap of some sort, but against his better judgment, he reached to the side and shook the man's hand. "You could have left me to die. A favor for a favor, I guess."

He seemed completely unperturbed by the idea of going deeper into the woodland. "Unfriendly?" he scoffed with a laugh, "I would have thought a little deviant elf like you would feel right at home."

"We can bicker later." Alfeus said with a soft grunt, sufficiently satisfied with the recent dealings. He didn't need to be a mate or kin or even an acquaintance, they just needed to get along until they were safe. Unfortunately...

"Only a fool would be unafraid of the swamp." He shrugged slightly, not intending his comment to come out as condescending as it did. "If the guards don't kill you, then the animals will."

He looked back at Lilianna consolingly, "I'd bet my life on the fact that I know the swamp better than anyone else out here, but I kinda already did, hm?"

He took point and at a steady but acceptable pace, strode off into the green swamp, wondering if the hell he'd put himself in was in fact truly worth it.

Her eyes snapped over to Katze as he spoke and narrowed, their hue darkening with her frown, "Not everyone who turns to crime does it because they have a choice in the matter... And sometimes, people do bad things for the right reason." Dropping her arms to her side, she shook her head, as she followed after Alfeus, "Real deviants wear armor and hide behind the law..."

Katze flashed a grin-- a devious, Cheshire grin to both comments of man and woman. "That is real poetic. You know, whatever helps you sleep at night."

He moved through the thick forest and swamp with expert precision.

The nature of her physical beauty was little mystery to the former knight of Remoria. Remis had noticed it upon first glance, but often times women who were as beautiful as Briar had a tendency to lack certain other qualities, internally.

Namely, they were dull as dirt and had a condescending air, thick as fog. He had enjoyed her company thus far, but in truth had thought very little of her emotional depth, and perhaps that was simply because she was guarded… but all the same, as she reached forward and plucked up the second rabbit, beginning the cleaning process, a brow lifted in genuine surprise, followed by the warmth of a rare, genuine smile.

"I reckon I'm meant to tell you, you ought not sully your delicate hands or something, but I'll be perfectly honest… I'm glad for the help. Just watch you don't cut yourself, hm?" But he had a feeling, given her lack of sensitive nature to the task, that she wasn't unaccustomed to using a blade. There was a lot, it seemed, that she hit behind that remarkable face…

"You, Briar… are making it very difficult to pretend I'm not intensely curious who you are..." He remarked, before setting the first rabbit onto the spit. His eyes traveled upwards and a frown caught his lips as he spied a pair of figured in the distance, moving swiftly towards them.

Rising, he gestured for her to stay put, resting a hand on the blade at his side, as casual a posture as he dared exhibit. The sound of hooves against the earth pounded closer, and with a whistle, the first of the two men slowed to a halt, leaning forward as he look down at the pair.

"Eventide, Gentlemen. Can I help--"

"Hell if it isn't Remis Halifax…"

"Ah." Frowning softly, Remis craned his eyes to the man, "Jarith. Long way from Remoria."

"Patrol's been extended. All sorts of trouble in this neck of the woods." Smirking, he looked to his companion, who had leveled even with him, "So how've you been, Remi?"

"Yeah… How's life for the disgraced soldier?"

Eyes snapping to the other man, Remis smirked, but it was cold, holding very little humor, "I don't know, you tell me."

Their expressions shifted, each to a measured level of anger, the first man's cheeks reddening through his beard, "I'd watch what you say, if I were you."

"Come on now, Jarith… You know I'm not a very good at listening." Smiling, this time with a knowing glint in his eyes, he shrugged, "How else you think I got to sleep in the barracks with you and Moretz here, playing Mommy and Da--" The strike came with unexpected speed and velocity, Jarith's foot connecting hard with Remis's jaw and as he staggered back he cupped his hands over his mouth, blood pouring through his fingertips. Lowering his hands, he spit a mouthful of blood to the dirt and laughed, "C'mon Jar… I know you like a fighter, but Moretz'll get jealous."

"You son of a--"

"Jarith! Look…" Pausing, the man tipped his head in the direction Moretz gestured and as his gaze fell upon Briar, his face shifted, a smirk twisting up the corners of his mouth.

"Well, well, well… What have we here."

"You've a very dangerous woman on your hands, Remis." They were both smiling, now, and Remis could see Moretz reaching for his blade. Swearing, he bent and swiftly as he could, he grabbed one of the logs from the fire and without a thought it at the closest of the two horses. There was a terrible sound, like a shriek and the horse bucked upwards, sending Jarith to the ground, but Remis did not stop to contemplate the move, instead, he turned and grabbed Briar's hand.

"Run." He muttered, before taking off.

A sigh escaped Merek and he moved for the small chest in the corner of the room, "None of you should be coming, and I've half a mind to insist. What madness gets into your heads, making you think this is your battle to fight?"

"He was my brother, too, Mer…" Travis interjected, frowning at his brother.

"And I've already lost him, Travis. I don't need to lose you, too…" Grabbing a bag, he began to fill it with items from the cabinet, but paused as he looked to Wendy and Jacob. The words revolved for a moment in the silence, before, shaking his head, he straightened, "Brother? Slipped your mind, did it? They were my friends, Wendy. I had a right to know it wasn't just you out there…"

With a quiet scoff, he slung his bag over his shoulder and took a step towards the door, but wavered on his feet as the room began to spin around him. Travis moved forward and caught hold of his shoulders and wordlessly, eased Merek into a chair. Stepping back, he looked down at his brother with a grimace.

"When did you eat, last?"

"Doesn't matter. I need to go, Trav."

"Won't get far if you kill yourself, in the trying... " Looking to the other pair, siblings, apparently, he shrugged, "...You two hungry?"

NPCS: Fiora Rimel | Nicolette Rey
Jack woke with a start at the hand over his mouth. He stared up at the woman who had a finger to her lips. She was an older lady -- regal -- smelled nice, too -- and he sat up against the wall, his hands pulled up against his chest as if he held a blanket.

"Who are you?" he breathlessly asked, his eyes flicking over to Fi. She was asleep, and she didn't seem to have noticed the woman who had come in. And what of her brothers?

Suddenly, Goose honked raucously, loud enough that Jack jumped in his spot.

Straightening, her eyes moved swiftly from the boy to the bird and narrowed, "Oh, stop all that noise, Erigor. You'll wake the poor girl."

Turning back to Jack, the woman smiled gently, with a shake of her head, "I'm not here to harm you, Jack. My name is Aladria... and I need your help."

Jack perked up at the mention of needing help. Yes, so many people needed his help these days, and he was more than happy to give it! Jack nodded emphatically, putting his entire trust in the woman.

Goose, however, seemed less impressed, making a hissing noise that could have been mistaken for a hiss. He fluffed his wings and stuck his golden bill under his wing, going back to sleep -- though he kept an eye open.

Crouching down again, the smile softening a little, Aladria looked out of the hut at the girl, still fast asleep on the ground, "She's a very special girl, Jack. I think you might have guessed as much. Uncommonly kind... Like her mother. The woman who did this to her brothers, she was a horrid creature, twisted by bitterness and jealousy. Fiora has done so much to try and break the curse, but I'm afraid she'll find it much more difficult now that my step daughter knows of her existence. I can help you... I can help her, but first I need you to convince Fiora to come to the mountain. Fool's Mountain. You cannot tell her why... She must come of her own accord. Do you understand, Jack?"

Jack frowned, trying to process the instructions he'd been given. He wasn't particularly good at instructions, if he was honest, and sometimes it took a couple times for him to get it.

"W...What?" he finally said. "But... why? Shouldn't I just tell her you just want her to come over to the Fool's Mountain 'n she'll come with? Why's she not got to know?"

Jack scratched his face with perplexity.

"How do I explain all 'at to her?"

"Because, understandably, Fiora doesn't trust magic. But she does trust you, Jack. She's quite fond of you... And if you tell her that's where you need to go, she'll follow."

Shaking her head, she smiled pleasantly, if not a bit dryly, "I realize I'm a stranger, and I've given you no cause to trust me, either... But I need your help and I believe you can do this. And if it makes things any easier... Your dear Goose friend knows well enough who I am..."

Jack whipped his head to look at Goose, who was still fast asleep on Fi's bed. Just as Jack looked back Aladria, the gander's tail wagged every so slightly as an eye opened to stare at the woman before closing.

"I... I guess I could do that... But why? Ain't no one followed us. We're safe here, aren't we?" Jack asked, still quite befuddled. He would have never thought to move from this place, not if it seemed safe. If it weren't for Goose's needling, Jack would have long ago stopped at one of the many towns they'd spent the night at to while his days away playing his lute and trying to get a hold of people's apples out their orchards.

"If the queen knows who Fiora is... If she even suspects, then no. She isn't safe. Not remotely. You need to move quickly, Jack. As soon as I'm gone... wake her and leave. Promise me you'll do this... Please?"

Jack hesitated but finally he nodded. That was right. The queen had seen them and then there had been that moment where Fi had wanted to leave so badly, and now look where they were?

"But what's the queen gotta do with Fi?" Jack asked, still full of questions. "I mean-- I'll do what you say! I just... I wanna know. And I wanna tell Fi if she asks, cuz I'm kind of..."

Jack knocked on his head with a chagrined look to indicate his wooden head.

"Like hell you are, young man. Perhaps you're not bright like some people... But I would bet my left arm you're still smarter than most in very many ways. All the ways that count..."

Looking to Fi, she considered silently for a moment, then nodded, "Very well. I suppose I can give you the short of it. Fiora is my niece, Jack... And poses a very real threat to usurp Eirlys's rule...Now you understand why we must keep her safe, Dear Heart?"

Jack stared, open-mouthed, before shaking his head numbly. Eirlys? Rule? Usurp? These were words not particularly well used in Jack's vocabulary, and it was perhaps apparent. While he was flattered that she thought him smart in the ways that counted -- whatever those ways were -- but he definitely was not in the loop here.

"But I... understand that Fi is important. And this queen lady doesn't like her. Will she... hurt Fi?" Jack asked, lowering his voice to a whisper as he looked over to the sleeping girl.

"If she can, Jack... she'll kill her." Shaking her head, Aladria moved closer to the entrace, "I must go... I can't risk being seen. Please, be careful. Goose knows the way..."

Jack's eyes widened and he hissed, "Wait!"

He grabbed a hold of her hand for a moment, and his eyes seemed to plead silently to the woman who was leaving such a burden on his shoulders. He was just a fool from Renloth. How could he protect a girl from an entire kingdom?

"...Is there nothing you can give us to help us? I... I have no weapons, and I... I'm not clever or-or-or bold or good at much."

Covering his hand, Aladria nodded, "Yes... I do suppose it's a bit of a burden I've given you. Fair enough." Stepping back, she pulled a chain from around her neck, at the end of which was a round amulet. Slipping it off, she held it out to Jack.

"It's old magic... And it won't work for long on an ordinary man, but it will protect you long enough to reach the mountain ... If you leave today. You cannot tarry, Jack."

Cupping his chin, she leaned down to kiss his forehead, "You are so much better more than you realize. Remember that and take care not to lose heart. Goodbye." There was a snap, like leather slapping hide and with a small burst of wind, Aladria vanished.

Jack jolted at the sudden sound as the woman -- Aladdin? A Lad? Aldia? -- disappeared without a trace, leaving him with just the amulet in hand. He stared at the amulet, the piece of jewelry glinting in the newborn morning light.

If they were in danger, they needed to leave. He jostled Goose awake, barely avoiding a peck, before going over to Fi.

She looked so much more relaxed in sleep, and he hated to wake her. There was a part of him that realized that she was more than just beautiful -- her heart was full of selflessness, but it was also tired, broken by the world around her. Had he been a wiser man, he would have noted that she seemed so much more herself now because she was no longer thinking of the worries life had burdened her with. Alas, he was not a wise man, and so he merely wondered.

Finally, he shook her shoulder gently, saying, "Fi... Fi. We've got to get up and go. There was a lady here who gave me this to protect us and said we've got to make a way to Renloth. It...It isn't safe here. She told me that Goose knows how to get back."

Fi woke with a start at the sudden jostling, Jack's flurried speech entering her foggy mind like a lead weight. As she tried to disect it into anything that made sense, she sat up, running her hands over her face.

Finally, giving it up for loss, but trusting it was all important nonetheless, she nodded and made to her feet.

"Oh! Here. You should probably wear this," Jack said, putting the amulet around her neck. "Goose, where are we going?"

The foul fowl honked and threw it's head back before taking off into the air.

"Is there anything you gotta take with you? I don't....I lost it all," Jack said, shrugging his shoulders.

Blinking, Fiora looked to the hut, to a small patch of grass by the lake, where her brothers lay sleeping. Her life, in one small, simple hovel.

And there was a chance she'd never see it again.

As Jack slid the necklace over her head she turned back to him with a small start, catching his hands, her head shaking in protest.

'You...' she mouthed.

"What about me? I was asking you! Silly," Jack laughed as Fi held his hands.

He looked over his shoulder to the lake and hut, frowning.

"Too bad we gotta leave. This is a nice place."

Shaking her head again, Fiora gestured to the necklace, then to Jack. It had been given to him. To protect him... That much she had understood, in all his wild explaining. That much was clear, even if nothing else made much sense.

"Are you sure? I'm getting tired..." Jack sighed, exaggeratedly leaning forward. He looked ahead to the cart that was about to pass them by, but he obediently let it go. The farmer with the cart waved to them congenially, and Jack waved back.

Frowning softly, she watched the cart go by. If she were wrong... if she made the wrong decision...

But he had been traveling with her for so long, without complaint, and if the just rested for a while.

Biting her lip, she gave the cart a glance again, the man waving to them, and nodded, she gestured to it.

Jack smiled and bounded back towards the man, and there was a wild gesticulation of gestures. The man shrugged his shoulders and patted his cart.

"He says he's headed towards Renloth! Maybe we'll get to see my family!" Jack said excitedly as he ran back to Fi. "He said he can take us as far as Derryworth, seeing as he was originally headed to Brighthedge, but he told me it's not too out of the way."

She considered it, for a moment, and the twisting sensation in her stomach made the decision all the more difficult to make, but after a breath, and a glance at Jack's hopeful expression she managed a small smile and nodded, following the boy to the cart.

Jack happily hopped onto the cart, scootching over to give the girl a seat. The driver smiled at them, and Jack smiled back.

"Long way to walk, Renloth. Anywhere in particular?" the driver asked curiously after starting up the cart.

As she settled beside him, Fiora looked to Jack with a weary shrug. There was no sense in keeping their destination from the driver - though he was sure to find them both mad. Fool's Mountain was so named for a reason...

"Fool's Mountain," Jack said after seeing a nod from Fi.

The driver looked over at the two with surprise. His eyebrows flew to the brim of his wide hat, and he looked back forward with several nods.

"Well... bold, are you?"

"Nah, I've family there," Jack said brightly, oblivious to the fact he'd actually provided a real alibi for their trek.

"Oh! You two married then?" the man asked with a glint in his eye and a jab, and Jack professed, "Oh! No, no, no, no, I'm not, sir, she's too good for me, you know, I'm just a... just visiting family. And she's coming along. We're--"

What to say? What to say? Jack was no liar.

"--friends. Good friends," Jack said glancing at her with a smile.

Her skin tinged pink, Fiora's expression brightened as she shook her head. Too good. He was the absolite epitome of too good... and he had absolutely no idea how charming he was.

'good friends', her mouth moved, confidently confirming his suggestion.

The farmer nodded his head sagely, with a knowing smile at Fi, raising his eyebrows. Jack remained oblivious though, instead considering the farmer quite polite for not pressing any further and in fact nodding along with them.

The rest of the ride was pleasant, and rather quiet, though Jack managed to keep a mostly one-sided conversation with the farmer, who seemed to be quickly losing steam the longer Jack talked. In these conversations Jack had thus stated that roads were actually built by fairies (because Tegan told him so) and that the moon was indeed a massive cheese wheel launched into the sky (because his mother told him so) and that ganders can lay eggs (because Goose sat on an egg once).

@Doctor Jax

The cart came to a rest outside of the small cottage, and from the doorway, Elerton Rey poked out his head, his expression rolling into a frown at the sight of his daughter, rumpled and dirty, her own face bearing a look of concern that spoke of trouble, "I couldn't leave him, Papa…"

A brow lifted and Elerton stopped in his tracks, but as he did, Nicolette Rey pulled back the blankets in the cart behind her to reveal the prone form of an unconscious man. Looking him over, even at a distance, Elerton felt his chest tightened, "He's a soldier, Nicolette. One of hers, from the looks of it. What were you thinking, bringing him here??"

Slipping down from the cart, Nicolette shook her head, moving to the back of the cart, "He's hurt! Pretty badly… Papa.I know the risk, but he... he would have died."

Making a face, somewhere between amusement and reservation, he sidled up beside her, "Nick… You are too good for this world. And someday, I worry it will lead you to more trouble than you'll know what to do with. How did you even get him into the cart?"

"Amos helped." Nicolette confessed, her cheeks tinged pink.

Elerton shook his head, "Of course, he did. Come on, then. Let's get him into the house."

It was a project, certainly, for Elerton was more advanced in years than Amos Brigsby, and Nicolette was a wisp of a thing, but after roughly ten minutes, they managed to situation the man on a bed and get him out of his armor and shift. As Elerton saw to cleaning up the cart, Nicolette set to work cleaning up the most visible wounds. It wasn't deep, but he was covered in other scrapes and bruises, and it was a painstaking process, removing all of the thorns that had stuck into his skin.

He was handsome… Easily more handsome than any man she had met before, even marred the way he was, but he was a soldier, and that… that made him considerably more dangerous than she had initially thought.

Frowning, she reached out and brushed the hair from his brow, "Who are you, I wonder…"

@BearEnthusiast (Harrison)

Next update 6/17

Wendy Palin
Elderidge

At Jacob's private words, Wendy snorted softly.

"I realize that. But Merek helped me when I was in a really bad way, after- It happened. Gotta pay that debt back. Besides," she muttered, brow furrowed, "Four years haven't turned up anything about the Beast. It's time we look elsewhere. Bright Hedge is as good a place as any."

Travis' offer drew her attention, and she turned to where he was standing protectively near his brother.

"Hungry, yeah. Tried to make something to eat, too, before those murderers broke in."

Wendy took a hard look at Merek, her attempt at quick assessment somewhat colored by the chastisement he'd just given her. Did it slip her mind? Maybe. Or maybe it didn't seem to her that someone who so proudly claimed the Palins as friends would need reminding of the family members na-! She huffed; an angry response would do no good, so she drowned it in a few drops of blood that biting her tongue in restraint created.

Travis was right; his brother should most certainly eat, and as soon as possible. Yet who was to say what reinforcements those soldiers had? The fool that Merek had stupidly released, injured to close incapacitation though he was, might make it far enough to report an attack on the royal guard, or whatever nonsense they claimed for justification. Merek was right; they needed to leave. Travis and Jacob needed to understand this: that leaving immediately, and together, was their best chance of survival at this point. She just wished she had the words to persuade them of that.

"Yeah, we're hungry. 'Least, I am. And I'd bet ol' Wolfie is. Didn't get that nickname for no reason." Her cheek pulled up in a half smile of fond remembrance. "But there's a good bet there's reinforcements not too far off. And since someone insisted on freeing the one man left alive to rat on us, we'd better leave fast.

"But we'd better leave together." Wendy turned to Jacob, the impatience and frustration in her face from having in her mind to suddenly care for so many others not quite hiding the regret at the rocky sibling relationship they'd had since finding each other again. "We can talk about what happens and who goes where later. Right now, that isn't important. What is important is that we all stay alive. And our odds of doing that are loads better as a group than they are split up."

Oi. Being so...articulate was giving her a headache. Wendy hadn't had to give such a diatribe since- well, ever, and it was exhausting. She made an open gesture, encompassing the three men. Men, she thought ruefully. Jacob wasn't a boy any longer.

"If you two can make sure Merek doesn't stumble, I'll keep any threats at bay, if we come across any. And I'll find us a path. How about it? Can you manage?"

Last edited:
  • Nice Execution!
BRIAR ROSE AND REMI HALIFAX a collaboration with @Elle Joyner
She never expected to be recognized here of all places.Unfortunately for the soldier, Briar could not the say the same. The two were complete strangers but if he and his partner had spent sometime in Mulgrave she supposed it was a possibility. Ultimately it did not matter--there was no time to be properly reintroduced.

One moment she sat by the fire, blade in one hand and a bunny in the other. The next, she was running hand in hand with Remi deeper into the night. Briar did not dare waste time to look over her shoulder but the more distance they put between themselves and the camp, the darker it became... until finally the only thing above them was moonlight.

His hand still firmly grasped in her's, she tugged and spoke between labored breaths. "Are they...are they still chasing us?"

Remis doubled over as they came to a stop, his breath coming in waves, chest aching with every pounding beat of his heart. Behind him, he could hear the faint sound of hooves, but his body rejected the idea of running again, almost violently. They had come far, but where and in what direction, he couldn't know. Ahead of them, however, he could see it... the tree line and he knew, grimly, what to do.

Without answering, he pulled he forward, towards the forest. Only when they were inside, in deep enough that the plains faded from view did he stop, with a small grimace of pain.

"...That'll do it..." He hissed, and he dropped down onto a log, one hand reaching up to wipe blood from his face, the other held out so he could inspect the damage from the burning log, "Damn..."

Briar was grateful to finally stop running but her expression quickly shifted from relief to concern as the sight of Remi. It had all happened so fast, she hadn't noticed just how hard he had been hit. Without hesitation Briar tore the fabric of her drenched white tunic and knelt down in front of him.

Without a word she began to help him clean the blood from his face, her eyebrows furrowed while her mind began to deal with troubling thoughts. Briar hoped that her being called a dangerous woman had been forgotten amidst the chaos.

"We're gonna need to get someone to look at that no doubt." Her eyes shifted towards his hand and quietly she aimed to shift the coming dialogue away from her. "What did you do that had the two of them so fired up? I mean, besides pointing out their uh...inclinations."

Reaching up, Remi cupped her hand for a moment, a brow quirked at her ministrations. He wasn't sure, entirely, why it felt so alien to have someone taking care of him - perhaps because it had been a great deal of time...

Releasing her, he smirked, shrugging his shoulders at her question, "I was one of them. There was... there was an incident. I suppose I can't say I wasn't to blame, but well, let's just say it was easier to lay all the blame on me, and it resulted in my dismissal." Curling his fingers, with a small flinch, he looked up from his hand to Briar, "What about you? Feel like explaining to me why we just needed to run for our lives, like that?"

The touch of his calloused hand against her's anything but expected and for a split second Briar faltered, allowing him to see a genuine surprise in her eyes. She hadn't noticed how close their faces had grown until after he let her go. Briar stood and put some distance between them. "Because...you threw a log at their horse?"

She knew that wasn't the answer he was looking for.

"I...I'm sorry. I just can't bring myself to tell you of such things." Briar admitted quietly with the shake of her head. She looked back at him over her shoulder, the motion of her red hair whipping about still apparent in the dim light. He probably couldn't see, but an earnest frown had assumed her lips. "Though I suppose you deserve to know that what the guard said of me isn't completely untrue."

Steeling herself, Briar turned back fully and offered Remi the strongest expression she could manage. Whatever curiosity she had about him, Briar decided it was best to cast them away. "I wished it wasn't so but to continue travelling with me...it's only asking for more trouble. It'd be best for the both of us if we parted ways at the next village.

Smiling gingerly, grimacing at the split in his lip, the bruise forming across the bridge of his nose, "Good thing I'm rubbish at doing what's best for me, then."

Rising, glancing at his hand again, and shaking his head before turning his eyes to Briar, "You're entitled to your secrets, Lovely... But you'll have to forgive me if I'm not terribly afraid of you... Now come on. This here... This is the Teldavi Swamp. I'm sure if you know anything about it, you know standing in place isn't a smart move."

"I..." Briar let out a breath as once again she found herself caught off guard by Remi. Considering the short time span between both instances she came to terms with the fact that for now, it wouldn't be the last.

Still...to think her reputation had allowed her to be recognized as far as Remoria, it was troubling. Would Remi still be as accepting of her if he knew what horrors she had committed? Would he still be as accepting if he knew what pride she held in her accomplishments?

"...Shit." Briar shook her head, still frowning. "Well the name hardly sounds welcoming but I'm afraid I've much to learn about the world."

Nodding, Remis looked around, the frown deepening. In the dark, it would be impossible to tell where they were headed, and while he wasn't keen on staying in one place too long, the idea of wandering into a bog... or worse didn't sit well with him, either.

"We'll need to be slow, and watch where you put your feet. Avoid the higher grassy areas, and try to stay right behind me. We won't go far, tonight, but I don't want to stick around and wait to see how much you're worth to those morons out there..."

Reaching behind him, he held out his hand to her, "Ready?"

She looked at his offer and back up at him, swallowed, and hoped that he couldn't see the hesitation in her eyes. Was it too late to turn and run now? Biting her lip, she considered doing just that. In the end it didn't matter if he could see her hesitancy, the few seconds of inaction that followed was enough to send the message across.

Finally, Briar sighed. She reached out and intertwined her fingers in his, giving him a firm grip when they locked. She shot a smile through the dark and shook her head once more. "I really need to work on making you afraid of me, Remi... let's go."

• Love