Forging New Paths

Evelyn fought back a flush at how amused he seemed, despite not taking any offense from it, and shook her head at him. "It's really not that bad, I just don't frequent these places. . . Maybe we can get takeout some time? It gets very crowded inside, and it's not very big, so I don't know how good it would be to go in."

Luca wasn't ready for that yet, if just the colors and people inside this place bothered him. When she received Garrett's text she glanced at it, then set it back down in her lap as she answered. He'll be a little worn down for a while, but to tell you the truth I think he's used to being tired. The cake might cheer him up. Not to mention, gifts from Garrett, one of his two favorite people.

She smiled gently at the idea of trying different restaurants. "That sounds like fun. We should try cooking together some time, too." They couldn't always eat out or they would all get fat.

"Take out sounds great. Besides, then we can pick our own spot to eat it - maybe have an Italian picnic in the park, or in the backyard," Garrett suggested. "Then Watson could join us! I bet I could order him some plain meatballs, as a treat."

Oh, I hope it does. I'm still learning different ways to cheer Luca up for when he doesn't want his powers turned off. You're lucky you can hug people without doing that, Garrett texted back.

Garrett's eyes glittered. He'd all but forgotten about cooking together with the pair. "Cooking together sounds even more fun than trying restaurants, actually. We could make a list of recipes to try tonight, maybe. I've been eyeing this one recipe for a Shepherd's pie that looks so easy."

Evelyn grimaced when the message popped up on her phone, but gave it a little flick away hands-free before Luca could really see it. He would like it if we were home. She sent back, wanting to comfort him but hoping he would get the hint to let it go for now while Luca had the device in his hands.

"A picnic sounds great," she said softly, glancing at Luca when she noticed him glance at her. She let it go without questioning him, but filed it away for later that he liked the idea, and that his interest in the outside world might be returning. "I can't say I've ever had Shepherd's pie." She said, with a confused little frown. "Can't say I remember what it is, either. What's in it? It's not an actual pie, right?"

Garrett hadn't seen an issue with the particular message; it seemed fairly matter of fact. It was only when Evelyn flicked it away and replied with a change of subject that he realized there was a slight chance the topic might bring Luca straight back around into a panic attack. He mouthed a silent "Oh," nodded gingerly, and put his phone away.

"Yeah, picnics are always a good time," Garrett agreed with a smile. "But no, Shepherd's Pie isn't technically a pie. Although you can make it in a crust. It's is a savoury dish of cooked minced meat, topped with mashed potatoes, and baked. Absolutely delicious," he added. His stomach growled, and he chuckled as he spotted a server approaching with a tray of food. "Whew, just in time! I was just considering eating the paper menu," he joked.

The server beamed and set the tray of food down. "Far be it from me to let that happen. Can I get you all anything else?" he asked.

It wasn't so much that Evelyn worried about Luca spiraling again, but more that she worried his feelings might be hurt if he knew they were talking about him behind his back. She was half convinced he knew what they were doing anyway, and didn't truly seem to mind, but as he regained his own autonomy she wondered if that would change.

"Hmm, sounds indulgent," She said when he explained the dish, but with a small smile on her face. "I'd love to try it. Does it look hard to make?" She glanced aside when the door to the restaurant opened, and did chuckle a little at Garrett's penchant for jokes. Some day, she thought, Luca may just feel well enough to laugh at them, too.

"Thank you," she said politely, sitting back a bit to make room for the server to place down their plates, her fingers curled a bit tighter around Luca's arm in a silent message to stay still. "Just a glass of water, if you don't mind." Milkshakes were all well and good, but she wanted to be sure Luca wasn't dehydrated after hanging around in the park for a few hours.

"Make that three glasses of water, if you please," Garrett added with a smile. "Thank you kindly." The server headed off again, and Garrett passed out the meals and shakes before picking up his burger and taking a huge bite. "No, it looks pretty easy. And the nice thing is it's filling. Makes for good leftovers, and a nice full belly each time."

He swallowed a bite of his burger and reached for his shake. "Say, Luca," he began slowly. "Theoretically, if there was going to be a party . . . would you like going to a surprise party more, where people jump out and yell surprise, or a regular party, where you're just invited?" If it was the latter, then he could tell Luca about the party later that night so the young man had a chance to mentally prepare for it if he needed to.

Luca was quiet, waiting for the server to leave before picking up his milkshake and poking at it a bit with the straw before taking a sip. His mouth twisted a bit, uncomfortable and maybe a little worried, and he looked down at the cup. ". . . I don't like yelling. . ."

Evelyn thought, for a moment, that she could have explained that one, but it was good for Luca to answer things for himself. "That's all right. I don't really like surprises either." She laughed a little, gently patting his back even as she reached to get him a few napkins. "I think I screamed, the last time people jumped out and yelled 'surprise' at me." It had been a long time ago, and had caught her completely off guard when her Insight hadn't warned her.

"Duly noted," Garrett said, and he mentally crossed "amusement park" off the list of things Luca might want to try. "In that case, Luca, I would like to invite you to a belated birthday party for you tonight! Or tomorrow, depending on how tired you are. Evelyn and I planned for some cake and some balloons as decorations, and also some presents. How does that sound?" he asked hopefully.

There was no explanation needed as to why Luca didn't like yelling. Garrett was pretty sure he'd been yelled at in the past, most likely for no good reason.

He took another bite of his burger and smiled gently. "The party's for you, so we don't mind changing the date at all. I do have one surprise, though." Evelyn's insight might tell her that his surprise was a little mini birthday hat he'd found for Watson to wear - but no hats for the humans, knowing Luca's past with the motorcycle helmet and dislike for things on his head.

Luca paused, confused at first and then beginning to slowly warm up to the idea that all of these things were meant for him. "I . . . I like cake. . . And balloons. . ." Presents, too? He hadn't gotten presents in a long time. Not ones that weren't said with air quotes and were actually bad things, at least.

Evelyn smiled a little for him, even as reached over quietly to cut his burger in half so it would be easier to eat, and did the same to hers while she was at it. "Do you want to help make the cake?" She asked, knowing Garrett had wanted to do it, but also that he liked to involve Luca in things. She didn't think they would be too tired to do it today, since it was still only early afternoon. "We can do it together, if you'd like to help." She would just oversee and make sure nothing went wrong.

Luca was silent for a moment again, looking at her, and then at Garrett, and then down at his plate. Finally, he gave a little nod, too shy and overwhelmed still to say out loud that he wanted to do things with them. The bad feelings were going away, but slowly, and he was always hesitant to say yes to wanting things. Most things he wanted had been taken away from him, before.

Garrett could practically hear the warm delight that filled Luca's voice, and he was delighted he'd asked Luca face to face about the party. "Good!" he replied, and he took a few long drinks of his milkshake. He couldn't wait to see the look on Luca's face when he opened his presents.

He beamed when Evelyn practically read his mind and asked if Luca wanted to help make the cake, and he was even happier when Luca nodded that, yes, he wanted to help. "I'm glad you'd like to help. We could make today your official birthday, if you want. Then we can be sure to celebrate it every year on the same day."

On instinct, he very nearly reached over to hug Luca, but he remembered himself and only put his hands together instead. "We're so glad you're with us."

We're so glad you're with us. They were warm words that filled his chest with pleasant, fuzzy feelings, but he couldn't find the words to reciprocate. Evelyn and Garrett were nice to him, and gave him things, and kept him safe. He didn't know how to tell them how much it all meant, the sentiment too overwhelmingly big, too big for words. One day, if he learned how to say things better, he promised himself he would tell them.

"I'm so glad you found me," Evelyn agreed gently, scooting Luca's plate just a little bit closer and deciding it was best not to say too much just yet, lest he get overwhelmed. "Try to eat, if your stomach feels okay. You must be hungry." It was a safe bet at any time to say that Luca was hungry. His gifts were constantly burning energy.

It was a relief, for her, when he finally nodded and set his milkshake aside to take a few bites of his fries first and start taking in more real food. Despite earlier struggles, he was starting to look a little brighter already.

It was hard to focus on the food when he knew Luca's party was just around the corner. But Garrett managed to polish off his meal and carefully stacked the tray in the center of the table. And when the server returned with their check, he added a generous tip. Still, he didn't want Luca or Evelyn to feel rushed, so after that was done he leaned back and relaxed on the chair.

At long last everyone had finished eating. The detective chatted happily on the way home, gesturing with his hands as they all walked to the car. "All right. So, the surprise I have won't take very long," he began. "I'm thinking we could do it in between eating cake and opening presents. How does that sound?" he asked.

He reached the car first and pulled open the back door once it was unlocked, hopping inside and buckling up. All at once he realized that, depending on how late the party went, he might have a chance to stay over again. And he still had enough case files to work on while at Evelyn's house. Maybe she'd let him sleep over a second time.

Their lunch passed quietly, with the only conversation coming from Evelyn and Garrett, but it was peaceful and, for her, the silence didn't stretch in ways that were uncomfortable. Luca ate quietly, at a slow and steady pace, as Evelyn had been trying to teach him not to go too fast or his stomach would hurt. She only ate half of her own burger, quietly giving Luca the other half when he had finished his because she knew he was always hungry and for her just half and her fries would be enough, especially with a milkshake on top of it. If Garrett thought anything of how much Luca ate, she was sure he didn't say anything. She was sure he had probably figured it out by now, but he also hadn't seen Luca eat too many times.

"Between cake and presents sounds good to me," She said on their way back to the car, silently grateful to Garrett for letting Luca sit up front so he could see out more windows at a time. He was more comfortable, she had found, when he could see where they were going. "But all of that comes after giving Watson his cuddles. I think he'll be missing you a lot when you're back."

Luca looked pleased at the thought, though he didn't quite smile, and seemed relaxed on the drive home. Evelyn was able to breathe a sigh of relief, at that. She had hoped it wouldn't take him the rest of the day to stop feeling terrible.

Garrett hadn't quite made the connection between Luca's appetite and his powers. He just figured Luca had a higher metabolism, and in any case, he was happy Luca was eating without hesitation. He listened quietly to the conversations and occasionally joined in, nearly dozing off once or twice from how relaxed he was.

Once he was in the car, he quickly woke up in anticipation of the birthday party. "He'll ne missing all of us. I can't wait to see the little run and meow he does when we open the door," Garrett agreed.

Sure enough, once the group arrived home, the click of the lock alerted Watson of their presence. He meowed loudly and ran over with his tail held high, rubbing against everyone's legs and purring. Then he tried to jump up onto Luca's shoulder.

Garrett strolled into the kitchen to take out the cake supplies - and to slip another surprise gift into Luca's present. "All right! Once you all are ready, we can wash our hands and get started with that cake."

Evelyn ushered Luca and Garrett inside so she could close the door before Watson got any ideas, but needn't have worried. He was more intent on saying hello, and then trying to climb what was clearly his favorite person. Maybe he sensed that Luca needed him, still, she thought, and only smiled when Luca stooped to help the cat up and onto his shoulders.

"Why don't you give Watson some love for a few minutes while we get the ingredients ready, all right?" Evelyn prompted, and nudged Luca off towards the living room. "We can give him his toys when you open your presents." It would, at least, give her time to be sure everything they would need was out of the cabinets and within easy reach, so no one had to struggle to find them.

"It's that," she explained to Garrett with a little smile as she took out a mixing bowl, "Or we'll have a cake topped with cat hair."

Watson rubbed his head gently in the crook of Luca's neck, purring loudly. Then he settled in against him for some snuggles.

Garrett chuckled a bit and began pulling out flour, sugar, and a few other ingredients. "I have to admit I've found cat hair in my cocoa more than once," he told her. "Probably because I can't help myself from petting him while I cook. I just can't say no to those sweet eyes." He glanced over his shoulder at Luca. "Come on into the kitchen once Watson runs off, Luca! Then you can help us make the cake. Usually after zoomies he likes a nap."

Sure enough, only two minutes later, Watson jumped off Luca's shoulder and began racing around the room, his paws thudding against the floor. Then he hopped up into a corner of the couch, curled up, and gave a wide yawn.

Evelyn laughed softly at the idea of Garrett drinking cat hair, and was glad she'd sent Luca out of the kitchen for a moment. "I wouldn't be surprised if Watson's fur was on every little thing in your house." That was just how pet fur was, which was half the reason she had been against Watson living at her own house. But he made Luca and Garrett happy, so what was she going to do? Say no?

Luca jumped a little when Watson hopped off of him, then just sat watching with clear, though muted, amusement as the cat ran frantically around the room for a while. When he was done and settled in, Luca gave him a few gentle pets, then went to see what Evelyn and Garrett were doing with things set out all over the counter.

"He's napping now," he said quietly, looking a bit hesitantly at the sink and carefully making his way over to wash his hands. "I can help now?"

Evelyn smiled for him and nodded, patting him gently on the back as he passed her. "Of course. Did you have a recipe in mind, Garrett, or should we look one up?"

"It sort of is. Even with all the vacuuming," Garrett admitted with a laugh. He glanced over when Luca arrived, smiling brightly. "Ah! That's the beauty of this." He reached into the plastic bag and pulled out a container of frosting. "This brand of frosting comes with a cake recipe on the back. Even step by step instructions. It's foolproof! Which is good news for me."

He turned the container over and read the instructions. "First up, three cups of flour. Easy enough." He grabbed a measuring cup and held it towards Luca. "See the little three on the line there? Just fill the cup up with flour until it reaches that line, and then dump it into the bowl. Easy peasy."

The recipe seemed plenty easy to follow. And hopefully with Evelyn's help, he and Luca could complete it correctly without making a mess of the kitchen.

Luca glanced over at the frosting when Garrett held it up, and looked at the measuring cup when it was in his hands, wondering what he was supposed to use to scoop it out of the container, if anything. Evelyn had thought she would be mostly content to watch, but seeing Garrett pick up the larger measuring cup meant for liquids in order to measure flour made her think she would develop a twitch if she didn't help.

"Ah, if I may. . ." She put a hand on the measuring cup Luca held, and very gently took it from him to set it on the table, picking up the set of dry measure cups and handing him the one that measured only one cup. "The big one with the pour spout is meant for liquids," she instructed in a carefully measured, soft voice she hoped would convince them both not to be offended. "It's a little easier to scoop with this one. Just fill it up and push the excess off with the back of a knife, or your hands if you want to, and drop in three scoops' worth."

Luca blinked at the new cup, eyeballing the size of the cup and the container and determining it would fit better. "Okay. . ." He murmured a little unsurely, and flinched a little when he first put the scoop into the flour because he'd forgotten how it felt. "It's soft." And if he moved too quickly it poofed flour into the air. He solved to be very careful as he scooped it out, so he wouldn't accidentally make a big mess.

Garrett blinked, blushing a bit in embarrassment. ". . . Ah. That cup would work a bit better, yes. I wonder if that's why the muffins I made the other day turned out liquidy."

He watched Luca happily as the boy carefully scooped out flour. He nodded his approval and smiled. "You're doing far better with your first attempt at flour than I did. When I tried to scoop it, I got too excited and went too fast. It got all over my entire face," he explained with a chuckle.

He scooped up the frosting can to look over the recipe again. "All right, sugar's up next. Do we use the same measuring cup for sugar, Evelyn?"