Forging New Paths

Luca blinked and looked at the way Garrett held his arm out at first, distracted by how different it felt - with Garrett, and with Evelyn, it felt less like instructions he couldn't ignore, and more like a warm invitation. As he settled in against Garrett's side with his head resting against the older man's shoulder, Luca gave a faint, barely audible sigh and relaxed gradually into the embrace. When Evelyn joined them not long later, settling in on his other side and going so far as to pull her legs up onto the couch, lean against him with her head pillowed on his arm, and let her arm rest around his stomach, he went all but liquid, as relaxed as he had ever been. Far from feeling trapped, knowing he could ask to get up if he wanted to, he found that being surrounded by them only made him feel warm, and safe. And with Watson purring his lap, as well, he thought he could maybe stay there forever.

"Cozy?" Evelyn asked, and gave a soft, good-natured laugh when Luca could hardly be bothered to tense up enough to nod. "Good. Try not to fall asleep or you'll miss the story."

• Sweet
Reactions: FaithLeafCat
"But don't worry," Garrett added, patting Luca's shoulder. "If you do fall asleep, we can ready the story another day. Oh! That reminds me - if you do fall asleep, would you like me to turn your night light on after we carry you to bed?" he offered.

Once Luca had replied, he smiled and nodded. "Excellent. Now that we've got all our bases covered, we can start the story." He cracked the book open and began to read. His deep, gentle voice filled the space around the group, much like the way sunlight would. And while he read, he took several short breaks to check whether Luca was still awake.

He wasn't sure what it was, but something about all of them gathered together on the couch made him even more fond of the group, if that was even possible.

Luca looked up at Garrett with just his eyes and gave a faint little smile at the reassurance. ". . . yes, please."

He didn't like to sleep without some sort of light on, and his new star light was perfect. That was something that would go on Evelyn's list when it was finished, something more mundane than murder and somewhat easily guessed. Evelyn was always sure to leave his door cracked and a light on somewhere.

Wanting to hear Garrett's voice, and to stay awake and enjoy being smooshed between them, Luca held on for a long time before finally drifting off, unable to resist the pull of sleep with his Shadow gone and feeling so warm and safe. Evelyn was quiet but awake, petting Watson occasionally and just thinking about how nice it was to sit there together. Eventually, once Luca had been asleep for a little while, she reached out and gently touched Garrett's hand to stop him from reading.

"Shhh," she murmured softly, a small, content smile on her face. "The baby's sleeping. . . Let's let him rest for a little while?" She wasn't sure if he was serious about carrying Luca to bed or not, given that the younger man wasn't exactly light despite being a bit underweight, but it would be all right to sit there for a little while longer to let him sleep just in case.

Garrett had carried on reading for a few minutes even after he thought Luca was asleep, just to be sure. But he couldn't help chuckling slightly when Evelyn confirmed it. "I'll admit I view him almost as a kid sometimes. But a baby, not so much," he teased. "Babies are easy to carry. In any case, though - do you think I should carry him to bed now, or let him get into REM sleep first so I'll be less likely to wake him up?"

Adults were certainly more difficult to carry than babies. But after years of working in the detective field, Garrett had built up the strength to do so for short periods. Bringing Luca to his bedroom would be no problem.

Getting off the couch would be, though. He was already so comfortable. And Luca was sleeping, Watson was purring, Evelyn was relaxed . . . Garrett couldn't help but stifle a yawn of his own.

Evelyn tried not to laugh, not wanting to move too much and wake Luca up, but couldn't help smiling. It was easy to relax and to let herself feel happy more freely, when they were all together. If she tried hard enough, she was sure she could think of a few things that were easier to do when they were all together. But thinking about it too much felt like daring fate to take it away.

"Mm, let's stay here for a little while," she murmured finally, snuggling in a bit more against Luca's side as if to emphasize her point. "It's warm here, and Watson's sleeping too." Though she had a feeling if they stayed much longer she was going to have to wake up Garret and Luca. "We should have just pulled the couch out before we sat down." Luca would just as comfortably sleep curled up against Garrett, she thought, if they let him. She just didn't want him getting used to it, so he wouldn't be disappointed when he had to sleep by himself again.

The detective nodded sleepily and rubbed his eyes. "Mhm. I won't argue that point. Hell, even if I do end up falling asleep - no need to wake me up. I'll be plenty comfy on the couch. And I don't mind if Luca stays." He leaned his head back on the couch, letting out a deep, contented sigh. "Mmm. I haven't felt this relaxed in a long time."

He glanced over at Evelyn and smiled. "Want to see the pictures Anthony sent of the carnival? I asked him for a sneak peek so you and I could make sure it would be okay for Luca." He turned his phone on and passed it over to her.

The carnival had several main attractions. The office table had been partitioned into several concession stands - drinks, cotton candy, popcorn, and corn dogs - with different puppets as the stand workers. There was a plastic duck pond in one corner of the room with a tub of prizes next to it. One wall had different large pieces of wobbly foil on it to make a hall of mirrors. The rest of the walls were covered in red and white streamers with balloons hanging from the ceiling. A television had been set up with carnival footage playing in the background to mimic the sounds of a real fair.

There was even a circus animal tent. Anthony had spread a blanket from the back of the couch to the floor, with various stuffed animals inside and soft lights lining the couch.

And then there was the "roller coaster." Anthony had spread Saran Wrap and tape in a path along the floor to make it slippery. A large laundry basket had been decorated with streamers and balloons, and had a rope attached so it could be pulled along the pathway, with one person at a time riding in it. Or two, if they were holding Watson.

"What do you think?" Garrett asked warmly. "Looks pretty inviting to me."

"Won't that hurt your neck?" Evelyn murmured softly, but she couldn't blame him. Laying there, quiet and warm, with the sound of Watson's purring and Luca's soft, sleeping breaths, it was very peaceful. But practicality, for her, most often won out, and she would not be joining him if he decided to stay.

When Garrett showed her the pictures, she made a soft, impressed sound despite herself, reaching out to steady the phone in his hand and swipe from one picture to the next. "Oh, it's so precious. He's very inventive, your Anthony." It was, frankly, adorable, and despite thinking that he was only making it because he had so much time on her hands, she also couldn't help letting herself believe that at least some of it had been for Luca, and for Garrett.

"I will still pass on the 'roller coaster'," she said after a moment of looking at it all, but when she tilted her head enough to see him there was a little smile on her face, "but I think it will be nice. I don't know if Luca's ever been to the real thing. I'm sure he'll like it."

Garrett chuckled. "Nah. I'll pull out the couch partway once Luca's in a deeper sleep, and then I'll just lay down. No worries," he told her. He very nearly offered to invite her to stay as well - but he thought better of it. It probably would have been a little awkward for her.

Then his gaze softened when Evelyn began showering praise on Anthony. "I'll have to pass on your reaction," he told her warmly. "Anthony would be so proud. It's just as well you're passing on the roller coaster, though - maybe you could snap a few pictures of the rest of us taking turns riding it," he offered. He giggled. "What I'm most excited for is the concessions, though. Anthony turned some oven mitts into puppets to serve the food with. And I haven't had corn dogs in quite some time. Which space do you think you and Luca will like the best?"

Evelyn only gave a soft, acknowledging hum, not insisting that he get Luca to bed or not to let the younger man have his way by sleeping next to someone. It was all right, for just one night. She wanted them to be happy, and Luca obviously felt safe enough to drift off despite having Garrett nullify his gifts. They deserved some time to do what they wanted, rather than what she told them to do.

"Me?" She said thoughtfully, amused and considering for a moment, then finally deciding to give an actual answer rather than say she didn't know. "I think I'll like the circus animals. These are the kind that don't live in cages. And I promise to take pictures." It was cute to think of Anthony collecting them all for the carnival. "But Luca. . . I think we'll just have to wait and see." There was no telling what he might like, despite their best educated guesses. They were both in the business of solving puzzles and knowing things, but for something so low stakes perhaps it was best they both just let it be a mystery until it happened.

"Plus you'll be able to pick up and hug all the animals, too," Garrett pointed out with a smile. "Even better than real animals out of their cages."

Eventually he realized Luca had drifted into a deeper sleep. He smiled and carefully got up so he could pull the couch out, making sure not to jostle Luca too much. Then he immediately laid back down and pulled up the blanket he often used when he slept over, leaving the blanket looser on Luca's side in case he didn't want the extra warmth and kicked it off later. Finally he yawned and pulled a pillow over to lay his head on. He set a pillow next to Luca as well.

Hopefully if Luca woke up during the night, the extra pillow and the blanket over him would signal to him he was welcome to stay.

"I'm looking forward to Luca's reaction especially. Want any help with breakfast tomorrow?" Garrett asked Evelyn with a sleepy smile.

Evelyn only chuckled softly at Garrett's take on the circus animals. "Very true. I have no desire to be mauled by a real lion, but a stuffed one I'll take."

When he was ready to move, she shifted over to help, keeping Luca from falling over when Garrett moved and then helping get him to lay down once there was more of a bed in place. Luca only stirred a bit, turning onto his side to chase after the body heat he'd lost when Garrett moved but otherwise staying asleep. Evelyn petted gently at his hair until he was settled, then finally got up to move away after making sure they had any pillows and blankets they needed. It would be okay for Luca to sleep in his day clothes, just this once.

"Only if you're up and feel like helping," she said with a little shake of her head as she started to walk away. "I don't mind cooking. Goodnight, Garrett. Wake me if you two need anything."

Garrett smiled and snuggled down beneath the blanket, sighing happily and closing his eyes. "Good night, Evelyn. Sleep well," he called softly. "We'll make sure to wake you if anything happens."

It didn't take long for Garrett to drift off to sleep. He stayed comfortably in one position for most of the night, breathing deeply. Watson eventually settled himself right between Garrett and Luca.

By morning, the pair were still fast asleep, sprawled out on the couch while sun poured in from a nearby window.

Evelyn left to get ready for bed, but didn't sleep for hours after. As she'd promised, she worked on completing the 'list' of Luca's past, going in a mostly chronological order at a loss for how else to organize it, more 'mundane' things mixed in with everything terrible. The first people he'd been used to kill were his parents. He had almost escaped several times as a child, but after his mind was taken from him so many times he had stopped trying rather than face the continual loss of autonomy. He was afraid of obvious things - handcuffs, loud noises, guns - and perhaps less obvious - pills, dark rooms, dogs like the ones he'd been forced to kill in the middle of 'jobs'. He had always been conscious of what was happening, when his gifts were taken from his control, but unable to stop it, like watching his own body from afar. The list went on and on, and she wondered if it would be as difficult to read as it was to write down, but she would stick to her promise and only send it to Garrett at the time that he had requested. Eventually, she let herself try and sleep.

Luca woke several times during the night, as was his usual, but with Watson next to him, and Garrett within reach, the blanket warm with their combined body heat, he drifted back to sleep shortly after waking every time. By the time he started to wake, Evelyn was already awake and in the kitchen making breakfast, dressed and made-up as always.

Garrett woke up about the same time as Luca did, mostly because of the sounds and smells coming from the kitchen. Some part of him knew it was breakfast time. He yawned and stretched, smiling when he found Luca and Watson beside him. "Morning, fellas. Sleep well?" he asked.

Watson yawned and meowed as though to reply yes, he'd slept quite well. Then the cat hopped gingerly off the bed and trotted towards the kitchen.

"Thanks for making breakfast, Evelyn," Garrett said, stumbling after the cat. "It smells delicious. You want any help serving it?" He headed for Watson's special chair and took his cat food out of a nearby cupboard. "Luca, you want to give Watson his breakfast?"

The tiny black cat meowed louder and hopped up into his chair. He purred quietly and gave everyone soft winks, waiting to see who would procure his food. He'd gotten quite spoiled living amongst the three.

Luca blinked sleepily at Garrett when the man stirred, but even if he did manage a nod for a moment he didn't get up. It was nice and warm under the blanket, and though it felt strange he did also find that he liked waking up next to someone. Watson and Garrett getting up finally convinced him to sit up and start working on getting himself moving, until he was sitting at the edge of the bed with his feet on the ground and staring groggily at the floor.

"Oh," he murmured quietly when asked if he wanted to feed Watson, rubbing his eyes and finally pushing himself up to his feet. "Yes. . . I can do it. . ." He was hungry, but Watson was hungry too, and Luca was used to the gnawing feeling of an empty stomach. He could feed Watson first.

"If I'm awake I figure I may as well be doing something," Evelyn said with just a short, small smile for Garrett when he came to the kitchen, unused to making conversation so early still. "Good morning. You can grab a couple plates if you'd like. Let me know if you want anything else."

For Luca, as usual, she made a simple but filling breakfast, with eggs, sausage, and toast just about ready to be plated, and an apple waiting on a cutting board nearby. Sometimes she thought she made too much, but it was better, to her, to waste a little rather than not have enough for her ravenous housemate. After a long night, whether he had slept or not, Luca was always hungry.

Watson put his paws up on the edge of the chair when he watched Luca approach with the food, purring so loudly Garrett was pretty sure he'd shake the chair. Then the cat gently bumped his head against Luca's arm to thank him for the delicious breakfast.

Garrett got out the group's usual breakfast plates and set the table, whistling quietly. Then he noticed the apple on the nearby cutting board. "I can slice up the apple while you're plating other stuff, if you like," Garrett offered. "It'll be more fun to eat with all of us at the same time."

Eventually, once everyone had been given their food and settled in, the detective sat down at the table and sank into his chair with a deep hum. "Everything looks delicious. Thanks again for breakfast, Evelyn!" He dug into the eggs first and mixed in a bit of sausage with each bite. "You both ready to head to Anthony's carnival today? I know he's been looking forward to sharing it with all of us."

Luca held still when Watson bumped him, then just gave him a few little pets before getting out of the way, happy and content to have fed his little friend. He liked to try and help in the kitchen, but Garrett was already there and he was always slow in the morning, so he just sat at the table with Watson to wait.

"Thank you," Evelyn said when Garrett offered to slice the apple, content enough to let him help despite being used to doing things herself. Having him there was a more welcome feeling than she had thought having someone else in her kitchen would be. She had always thought someone else would simply be in her way - but she supposed after being on her own for so long that she thought that about everything.

When the table was all set, she watched for a moment as Luca very carefully put just a little salt and pepper on his eggs, to be sure he would start eating, then finally gave Garrett a little smile. "He's been hard at work. I'm sure it will be fun."

Luca made a quizzical face, in the middle of poking at the bits of eggs with his fork. "It's today?"

Evelyn nodded, waiting to chew and swallow a bite of her own food before answering. "Don't worry. Take your time to get ready after breakfast. The carnival will wait for you."

Garrett went straight for the apple and sliced it up, eager to show off the culinary skills he'd been slowly building. He smiled at Evelyn and carefully plated the apple slices in an overlapping circle on a plate. "Happy to help," he replied before bringing the slices to the table.

He smiled at Luca and nodded when the young man asked about the carnival. "Sure is! And the nice thing is, it's just for all of us. So we can show up when we want, and go home when we want, too." He took another bite of food and hummed. "I'm very excited. Especially for the corn dog concession stand. I haven't had corndogs in forever."

Then he took a drink of milk before leaning back in his chair. "Anthony's been working really hard to set it up, so he's probably sleeping in this morning. Should we text him or call him to see if he's ready?" he added. The more choices he could give Luca, the better.

Evelyn was grateful for Garrett's help, and grateful that she didn't need to feel like she had to watch over him with the knife. He had been practicing when they were apart, it seemed, though she wasn't sure when he'd found the time. It had snuck up on her, lately, just how much time they spent together.

Luca took a bite or two of food while Garrett talked, only to blink and sit a bit more upright when he realized the question was aimed at him. He wasn't usually asked what to do when it involved other people, and for a long moment wasn't sure how to answer.

"He doesn't . . . have to wake up. . ." He managed finally, a bit shyly. Evelyn kept telling him sleep was important, and he knew he felt less bad when he got to sleep at night, so if Anthony was resting, he should keep resting, shouldn't he?

Evelyn had her own opinions, but had stayed quiet for him to answer. "Why don't we wait until you've taken your time getting ready, all right?" Offering a solution that hopefully wouldn't feel so much like virtually shaking Anthony awake. "When you're done, we can send him a text to see if he's awake, and if he doesn't answer we can take a little walk."

Luca seemed to think about it for a few seconds, then finally gave a little nod to agree. It seemed like the way to bother Anthony the least.

All at once, Garrett realized it hadn't come across he'd meant to wait until after getting ready to text or call Anthony. But it worked out. His mistake gave Luca a chance to turn down both answers, very politely, too, and the detective beamed. "Oh. Good point, Luca. You're right, if he's sleeping, even a text could wake him up. I like Evelyn's plan, too."

He sliced into one of his pancakes and popped the fluffy pieces into his mouth. "Not to worry, though. By the time we're all finished eating and getting ready for the day, Anthony will probably be awake. He might even text us first."

And sure enough, a short while after breakfast, Garrett's phone lit up. Garrett chuckled and held the phone out so Luca and Evelyn could see it. "He's definitely awake. Look, he made virtual tickets for us to pretend to use at the carnival entrance. What do you think, Luca?"

The tickets were the same red and white striped design as the streamers, and Garrett was hoping they'd be a good indication of whether the walls might be a bit overwhelming for him.