Forever 17

"So how the hell do I change it then?" Connor asked suddenly, his head tilted to the side. "I thought that fate was like set in stone or something like that." Despite the dark and grave mood, Connor's lips curved up slightly when the other boy told him that Connor was smarter. "Thanks for the compliment," he said, not being able to resist it even with the grim situation.

Connor sat up straight again, his smile replaced with a frown as he thought. So if him and Gabriel were to stop his death, how were they to do that? A thought popped into Connor's mind. "Wait, you have visions, so if visions exist that means that other things could exist, right? And if I'm right, then maybe there's another force at play other then fate that wants me dead? But if that was the case, what could it even be?" Connor thought aloud once again, deciding it was best, especially if it meant Gabriel getting an idea or something as well. "Could it have anything to do with genetics or something?"

Gabriel shook his head at Connor. "Nothing is set in stone. There's several roads to take when you're dealing with Fate." He bit his lip slightly before going on. "Like with my visions, there's always several ways things can play out." In the end, every road lead to the same result. "Destiny is set in stone. If it's your destiny that you're going to die before you're eighteen, there must be some reason for it."

Gabriel chose to ignore the part about the compliment, it wasn't important, though it was nice to see Connor smiling again. "There's always the possibility that there could be something else playing at this game. It has to be something pretty big to interfere with your death. There were several incidents related to today that you've escaped so far." He shrugged a little. "My grandmother was a seer, able to see the future in visions and in other mediums. She used to tell me legends of curses that can be placed on families for centuries. Ones that will be dormant for several centuries before becoming active." He thought for a moment before he continued again, making sure that he remembered correctly. "A lot of curses had to do with the first born son and his eighteenth birthday." He looked over at Connor curiously.

Connor was slightly surprised to hear that nothing was set in stone. He had assumed that no matter what, a person's fate was going to end up one way. "Huh, I always thought that we only had one road and that everything happened for a reason. Not only did I think it happened for a reason, but I also thought that the choices we made were predetermined or something like that," he admitted. It was odd to be sitting in his car, discussing these things with the person he had always considered his enemy, a person he really didn't know much about. Fate, destiny, or whatever the hell it is sure is interesting and has a funny way of playing out, he thought to himself.

Silence fell over Connor for a moment, and gears started to turn in his head. Connor started the car again and pulled out of the parking lot, waiting to speak until he was on the road. "Not that long ago, I was curious about my family geneology and started to look it up. I didn't go back very far because I lost interest, but maybe all f this could have to do with that. I hope you don't mind, but I'm dragging you back to my house because I have some things about my family printed out and plus there are some more heilooms and stuff in our attic and basement. Maybe going through that stuff will help?" He fell silent for a moment once again. "I'm really sorry that you're dragged into the shit, Gabriel."

((OCC: Sorry that this is late and short. I'm on my laptop right now and it doesn't really like this site for some reason.)) Gabriel absently watched their surroundings as Connor drove, not sure of where they were going until the other boy spoke up. He gave a small rueful laugh. "Oh, I would be in this shit anyways. It was my vision after all." Though he was wishing that it was someone else's at the moment, someone who liked Connor as a friend and who Connor trusted more. But of course not. It had to be Gabriel Harris who was stuck with the boy's death vision. Who was stuck with visions of death and tragedy enough as it was, why did it have to be someone that he knew? Why now? He sighed slightly. "If you think it might help us come up with something that could be causing this or a way to stop it, I don't mind."

((OOC: It's fine.))

As Connor drove he let out a sigh. "Yeah, but in a way, it's my fault because we know each other and therefor you felt compelled to tell me and now help me out. If you don't want to be helping me or anything, it's totally fine. I already know that you still hold a grudge against me for the sancastle thing and Gemma, so if you would rather have me drop you off someplace, I understand," he said, his words holded the slightest hint of melancholy. Gabriel may have been his enemy, but in a way, Connor was happy that he had stuck around for as long as he had so far and offered the advice and wisdom that he had. It meant a lot to Connor.

"By the way, if you don't mind my asking, why have you continued to hate me for those two small incedents that happened years ago?"

"It's not your fault." Gabriel shook his head. "You don't give me the visions and you're not dying on purpose. I'm just as curious as you are. I'm sticking to it until we find the answers for what and why." Gabriel fell silent at the next sentences. Yeah, he was pretty petty. It was stupid and childish, but he'd refused to let it go for some reason. What reason? He wasn't sure, exactly. He shook his head and looked out the window, watching the trees go by. He sighed as he caught a glance of himself in the mirror. He looked older to himself, like some stranger with his face and eyes. He looked worn and tired, probably from all the talk about Fate and Destiny.

"I don't know, Connor," he admitted after a moment. "I really don't know. Something inside wouldn't let me let it go. I can't even tell you what or why."

Connor smiled slightly when Gabriel said he was sticking around until they found out answers. It made Connor happy because he didn't have to trudge down this dark road himself, he at least had someone else with him. Granted a friend might be better, but maybe the two could become friends before Connor kicked the bucket, especially after all the years of hatred between the two. It would definitely be a pleasant change from being enemies. "Thanks, it honestly means a lot that you're sticking around until then. It's nice to have someone with me on this dark and kind of terrifing road," he admitted.

As Connor turned onto his street, the slight sense of dread becam worse. He wasn't sure he wanted to be seeing his sister and his mom right after hearing all this news, but when he pulled into the drive he was happy to see his mom's car gone. It was then he remembered that his sister and his mom had gone to a spa hotel thing overnight.

"I have an idea of why you held the grudge for so long, but you might want to kill me when I say this... Oh well, if you want to go ahead and kill me after I say this. Maybe you held the grudge for so long because you secretly had a crush on me and you're madly in love with me," he joked, a smile on his face as he cut the engine. "Also, we'll have the house to ourselves so we don't have to worry about anyone overhearing anything and thinking we've gone mad."

Gabriel was glad to have not abandoned Connor. He himself felt lost and somehow not being around Connor would make that worse, something Gabriel wasn't prepared for. He wasn't sure how to deal with this situation so he figured sticking with the one person in the same boat, but on the worst end of the stick would be his best bet. Gabriel nodded to Connor's words. "It's nice to have someone know about my visions for once. I was kind of tired of it being a secret. If I told anyone, I was scared to be called crazy. For a while, I believed I was." He smiled crookedly, turning to look at Connor as they pulled into the drive. He knew where Connor lived, of course. They didn't live in a very big town.

He grimaced at Connor's deduction of his deep seated hatred. Yeah, right. "Yeah, sure, man. I am so freaking in love with you, how did I not see this before?" He went on with the joke before he got out of the car. The truth? He was scared that maybe Connor was right. "Maybe we are mad. Going crazy together. Isn't that how people in love die? Crazy, old, and together?" He laughed.

Connor smiled as he climbed out of the car and headed toward the door, starting to feel better a bit with Gabriel's joking and just the fact that Gabriel was sticking around. He knew that even though just earlier that day they had been enemies, now gabriel was trusting Connor with his biggest secret. Hell, of Connor had wanted to, he could just have had Gabriel commited. However, he wasn't that cruel and he had never really had much of a problem with the other boy. Really the only reason he continued with the childish feud the two had was because it tended to amuse him at times and because he enjoyed getting payback for any of the times that Gabriel had calle dhim names or worse. "If I was in your shoes, I probably would have thought the same... or maybe not since I think I've read one too many horror novels and seen one too many horror movies. Actually if I had been in your shoes, I probably would have curled under my covers and had wanted to just stay there forever," he said as he stood on the porch and glanced back toward Gabriel, offering him a crooked grin.

A deep chuckle left Connor's throat when Gabriel went along with his joke and he had to actually stop and breathe before he could even attempt to unlock the door and actually open it. "Yeah, sure, maybe we are going mad. You know, out of all the shit they have on the interenet, they should so have a test to tell whether or not you're going crazy he joked," as he went inside. "So, do think we can agree to at least an uneas friendship with all that's been said and done?"

Gabriel waited for Connor to open the door rather patiently. He wasn't the asshole he made himself out to be, at least not all the time. He could be one if he wanted to, hence everything at school. That didn't mean he wanted to be an asshole all the time, though. He had a more patient and reasonable side that he was willing to show with the world if it was ready enough for him. "You don't think I did? After the first two, I considered telling my parents, especially after they came true, but they'd never believe me. They'd lock me up rather than hear me out any day." He shook his head to himself. His parents were just those types of people. The one's that would rather ignore the fact that they have a child than attend to any needs or desires that said child had. For most of his life, Gabriel had just lived with his Grandma Barb. His parents ignored him and had never changed their attitude towards their son as he aged. He practically lived on his own, having raised himself since his grandmother passed away when he was ten. "I just learned to deal with it as get on with life. Whatever happened or didn't happened wasn't relevant to me."

Gabriel smiled crookedly at the other male as he laughed and went inside without a word after the door was unlocked. He didn't say anything in response to Connor's questions for a little while, just taking in his house. It was in a much nicer state of being than his own, that was for sure. He took a moment to soak it all in before looking at Connor, ready to answer the hard question.

"I think we could make this a working relationship. We team up against whatever it is that wants you dead and destroy it." Gabriel shrugged lightly. "Sane or not, that's the plan I had in mind." At least for now. If they became friends of a different type, he'd burn that bridge when they got there. He stuck out his hand for Connor to shake. "Sound like a deal?" He asked, eyes raising to meet Connor's again.

Connor frowned the slightest, knowing that if he had visions and told his mom and sister, they would at least try to believe him or think of a rational reason. He honestly couldn't have imagined how it must have felt to not have had his parents there for him with all of that. When he got down to thinking about it, Connor thought it would be awful to have those horrific dreams where the things he dreamt came true. It was horrying. "That'd be awful to not be able to tell your parents and to just not have them be there for you. If I had visions and told my mum and sister, they'd at least hear me out or try to think of something rational. Well, it's good that you at least had your grandmother there for you," he said.

Connor nodded at Gabriel's deal, thinking it sounded fair at the very least. He took Gabriel's hand in his own and shook on their deal. "Sounds fair to me," he said, his eyes on Gabriels. Once he had dropped Gabriel's hand, he started to think about where they would search first, the basement or the attic, but decided he would give the choice to Gabriel.

"So the basement has some junk in it, some old family photos and things, although it doesn't have many and the attic has dust, and a shitload of old family things. So where would you prefer we search first? If we go up to the attic though, I'm going to have to grab a couple of flashlights," he said.

Gabriel listened carefully to Connor's words, being courteous to his old enemy. He paid attention to the way that Connor spoke, the way his words formed in his mouth before falling from between his lips. The look in his eyes as he spoke about different things, the slight sadness for Gabriel's situation. After a moment, Gabriel nodded, looking away from Connor. "Yeah, it's not the greatest situation, but I would rather protect them from this anyways. No need for them to know that their only son is going insane." He quirked a small smile, shaking his head. "My grandmother was a lunitic, in a good way. She was there for me while she could be, though, something I've always been thankful. If I hadn't had her, I would be far worse off than I am now."

Connor's hand was smooth, the digits not overly long, but a nicely proportioned size. It was something else that Gabriel paid attention to. He lost himself in those eyes again, those perfectly shaped eyes of light blue hues. It was like looking into a sand bar where the water was so nice and perfect that it was see-through. He nodded as they shook hands, letting his fall away a second after Connor released his. "Good," he said quietly, looking away from those eyes before he got too wrapped up in those thoughts. He didn't want to think of them for fear that they had really been his thoughts.

"I think that we should start with the basement and spend the rest of the time looking upstairs." If the basement was going to be something that was done quickly then they could spend the rest of their time sorting through the attic and all of those heirlooms and such. Maybe, hopefully, something had answers waiting for them. "I second the flashlights when exploring the attic, though. They're pretty darn creepy."

Connor nodded, thinking it rather brave and in a way kind to say that he would prefer to protect his parents from it all. With the way things were working out, he was slwoly gaining some respect for Gabriel, and starting to understand him just a little better. It was easy to see that Gabriel might not have had the best life so far, and in a way, it made Connor appreciate what he had. "I'm sure you're not going insane, and by the sounds of everything you've told me so far, your grandmother seems like she would have been a wonderful woman," he said.

Once Gabriel said that they should check the basement first, Connor nodded. "You do realize that basements can be pretty damn creeoy, right?" he said and then started to lead Gabriel through the kitchen, to a closed door that led to the basement. Connor opened the door and reached around the corner to flick the stairwell light on, but almost tripped when a black blur sped by. "Dammit." He glanced toward the direction that Sppoks, his black cat, had taken off to. "Hey, Gabriel, perhaps sometime, if I'm not dead too soon, you can help me plan a prank on my sister, Kate? I need to get revenge on her since she dislikes Spooks and is constantly locking him in the basement," he said lightly, trying the mood lighter and calmer as he started down the stairs.

Gabriel smiled at the other boy's kind words. His grandmother had been the greatest. She had her moments of slightly questionable morality and sanity, but she'd been all he had for a long while. Her kindness towards him when he started to admit to his visions, telling him about how he wasn't crazy. She'd been there through the first few that he had, other than that he'd been on his own through them. For so long, Gabriel though that he'd have to take his visions as a secret to his grave, forever thinking that anyone else would believe him insane. It was nice to know that at least someone else knew and he wouldn't go crazy with his secret. "She was," he agreed after a moment.

Gabriel followed after Connor carefully, nodding to his words. "Yeah, but attics creak more than basements do. Most basements just make dripping noises. I find attics more creepy." When Connor almost fell, Gabriel grabbed his elbow on instinct, releasing it the moment Connor was safe. It took a moment for his words to break through Gabriel's mind. He laughed as he followed Connor downstairs. "Sure, we'll have to talk details." He'd never admit to the fact that he almost screamed when the black shadow of a cat ran passed them. He was almost too easy to scare.

A soft chuckle escaped Connor's lips when Gabriel kind of agreed about the prank, saying they'd have to talk about the details. It made a smile slide across his face, and it seemed like whenever one of them turned the conversation into something light, Connor could mostly forget about the impendding doom that could happen to him at any moment. "Okay, you have a bit of a point about basements just being damp, but who knows what could lurk in the shadows of a dark and damp basement? After all, there may be some monster or dead body down here for you know. In fact, watch out for Deloris, she's a swamp monster and she rather enjoys eating people," he said, unaware of the fact that the other boy scares easily and that it probably didn't help the mood, especially when the light that Connor had just turned on burnt out. A long sighed past through his lips. "Damn, looks like Deloris has forgotten to replace the lightbulb again," he added.

To Connor, the one burnt out light was no big deal, and he simply walked near the wall, feeling his way, until he felt the second light switch that was in the basement. Once switched on, this light stayed on. "Let there be light!" he exclaimed a goofy grin on his face.

"Ooookay, getting down to actual buisness type shit, I think there's a couple boxes over here and a couple in the storage area over under the stairs," Connor paused to point toward the built in storage space. "Can you look under the stairs? If there's anything that has family stuff in it, whether old or newer, it should say something along the lines of 'throw away and die' since my mom doesn't want me or my sister to accidently throw away family stuff. In fact, most of the boxes or other things are marked."

Gabriel followed after the other boy, walking in Connor's footsteps. He swallowed a little uneasily as Connor spoke about a swamp monster and dead bodies. He bit his lip to keep from whimpering or screaming, although he was visibly shaken. It was unnerving to talk about these things while in a dark, damp, scary basement. He lifted a hand to his mouth and chewed on his nails anxiously as he waited for Connor to turn on the light. When the light bulb burnt out, he let out a squeak of fear. He hoped that the other boy hadn't heard because in the next moment there was a light on, one that stayed on. He let out a nervous chuckle and edged his way to Connor, not wanting to be left in the dark alone if this light turned off, too.

He nodded to Connor's words, looking around the basement nervously. He tried to reign in the shaking, but his body seemed determined to keep moving without his consent. Instead, he started looking around for boxes with said labels, hoping that Connor wouldn't notice the shaking if he kept moving on. He took in a few deep breaths, trying to calm down. "Here's one," he said from behind a stack of other boxes. He cleared his throat to keep his voice from shaking. "You want me to open it?"