Forest of the Dreaming

"I have done worse things in my time, beast. If that is all you wish for then it shall be done. Death is as familiar to me as the touch of a distant lover. We are kindred, Death and I. Like you it walks in my footsteps, uninvited but always near."

He stepped out into a small parting of trees and stretched his arms beside him, palms out. An unearthly shriek filled the air, as the barks of the trees ripped into gaping maws, disfigured faces without eyes nor mouth screaming for mercy. A black mist snaked out their woody lips, a fierce wind filling the air, stagnant and rancid.

"Observe." cried Raydon, his feet lifting off the ground, his hair whipping across his face, the black mist swirling round his palms and disappearing into them. From his back sprouted wings of midnight, though their fabric was not of feathers, but something unnatural and otherworldly.

"Even now death surrounds me; it is my tool and my servant. I feed off it for life is weak and fragile. You shall have your death, but I warn you - it multiplies in any place given room for it to grow. This is my warning, beast, for I know no limits."

He threw his arms down and the shrieking halted, the grass beneath his feel wilting in an ever-increasing circle around him. "Come, beast, let us make short work of this so I may return to my venture." And with that, he took flight, shadow in tow.

--

Illodran was off in his own thoughts, he turned his head slightly to look at her and she was staring at his forehead. Next thing he knew...
"oh, my, you are quite energetic, aren't you?" if Illodran was taken back, he didn't show it. She was right there, the vision of her face inches from his. He kept his expression steady, even though she was practically sitting on him, her hands inches from his face. Mercy... he thought, unaware he was holding his breath.

"Drats.. This is not Eloa as i had feared."[/COLOR] stated the Virago.

A long, slow exhale. Illodran turned his face away, a wry smile on his face. "ah, that explains it, you had me mistaken for someone else." Illodran hid his disappointment. Of course, there was no reason for her to approach him with such fervor otherwise. It was a case of mistaken identity, nothing more.

And, suddenly - perhaps he should of come to expect him by now - the pups were upon him, bounding around, sitting on him, yapping excitedly, talking of gods and returns and... he sighed. What he needed was a nice relaxing day off by the spring he had been dozing at this morning... Simpler times.

Still, these were his forests to protect, and the concerns of it's citizens were as important to him as the concerns of his people from his kingdom long ago.
Then she was at his face again, this time screaming, and this was more then he could deal with today.

"You call this a god? What could this creature possibly do?" She eyed."Unacceptable!

"Enough!" he stood, his voice was low and commanding, he had no reason to raise his voice. A prince had strength enough without needing to ever shout, except perhaps on the field of battle. He clenched and unclenched his hands, trying not to let his temper seep out. "You mock me. I came to visit you out of concern and curiosity. But do not think that because I am well-mannered that I am weak. I have been alive for far longer then you could possibly believe. I abhor violence, my dear, but never, never, imply that I am unskilled. "

He turned to the door. "Though perhaps I should take it as a compliment of my disposition. You would do well to learn to keep your anger to yourself, as well."

He could not stand to listen to her yatter on about how he needed her -her! - protection, his blood was beginning to boil, and he slipped outside into the cool air.

A scream. Crystal's voice? Illodran was running round the building, and stopped dead in his tracks to witness the scene ahead. A knight, by the looks, had defended her honour against a band of thugs. He would of been too late to come to her rescue. Illodran leaned back around the corner, out of sight from the pair, his hands clenched into fists.

Just what he'd been afraid of. To be watching the pups while Crystal was off by herself.

She could of been... could of been...

He whipped his head to the side, casting away the thought. No, the knight had saved her. A love interest, perhaps? ...

Really, it was none of his business.

He really should of stayed in the glen today.

--

The ruins were all but destroyed.

Plumes of black smoke rose into the air as Raydon cast the gargoyle in two. No one had been here to defend it, bar the elders, and they stood no chance against his unholy magic.

"Life always bows to death. It is the way of this world." he murmured to his companion. "Rest in peace, guardians. Frankly, you were weak and out of sorts. Had you grown placid in your years of peace? It is no matter."

He leaned back against a smoldering husk of a tree, his attention turning to his shadow.

"You showed me the shrine, beast, now who is it you want slain-?"

A pillar of blue light shot up into the sky, and Raydon's eyes grew wide, disbelief, hungry.

"There has been a development. Our bargain is on hold. But join me, beast, for I rarely go back on my word." He said coldly, his eyes drinking in the sky. His graze drifted down to the tree line, and he darted like a black arrow through the trees, seeking it's target with deadly accuracy.

The blue light ebbed away to nothing, the wind howled in his ears as if begging that he should go no further, tugging at his clothes, trying to push him back. He paid no head and suddenly the trees parted before him. Before him lay a girl of unearthly beauty, and Raydon couldn't help but hate her for that.

He hated how innocent - how benevolent, how pure, how heavenly - she looked, even in slumber. how she was the total antithesis of everything he knew about this bitter world, how she could not possibly have ever known the depths of darkness that plagued this world.

In the deepest, darkest, emptiness within his core, something black and evil writhed in utter revulsion at this creature of astounding light. It clawed at the chasm of his heart, it pumped a hatred through his veins as molten as the core of this world.

Raydon was searching for an angel, but he could not have conceived what one had looked like, and had fleetingly pondered once or twice if he had missed his chance.

Now he was sure. "Beast, I have found my angel." there was an icyness in his tone, the kind of coldness that threatened to burn.
He hated her. Hated hated hated her. He had no heart to hate her with, but he hated her anyway.

He walked forward, standing over her, peering down with soulless eyes. He reached out a hand, hesitated. For a fleeting moment, the smallest, smallest of moments, Raydon thought it unworthy of him to touch her.

The thought was strangled, killed and laid to rest.

He snaked an arm under her waist and another round her knees, holding her soft as silk.

"We will find the ruined castle and make it our own. Shadow, I have not forgotten our agreement. Join me, be of use to me, and you can become king of this broken world for all I care."

Johanna let out a small smile. "I suppose. Just don't expect me to be there to rescue you" she chuckled and watch Leone starting to walk. Johanna turned surprised towards Nexx. She never had any company on her journey before. No one ever asked to come along with her. "I.. guess so. But I got to be honest I don't know where I'm going..." Johanna said as she scratched the top of her head. "I'm just.. roaming around."

Once the shrine was distroyed Isaac's body was far darker. It was now like no light could touch the vile creature. Oh, how enteraining were this man's views of death! How unaware he was that one day Death will find him regardless of his was "immortality" or whatever he claimed to have. He would hold back for now, the might of this warrior was overwhelming. Still, the chosen would be able to fix the shrine and imprison him yet again. He could not let that happen. Suddenly he was pulled off yet again by the speeding anti-Prince Charming. He growled at the sight of the light girl, his hatred similar to that of his companion. He hoped that the knight would sink a blade into her thoat but noooo... he had to be boring didn't he? "I know not why I am needed for this but fine, so long as my side of our little deal is done."

"That's probably what I would do too. I just don't wanna be lonely." Nexx replied, scratching his chin and smiling awkwardly. He looked at the massive pillar of really bright stuff and pointed, "how about we go there?"

Everything happened in a blur. Right after her blood curdling scream, she felt the man's grip around her loosened. Did she scream too loud? She asked out of wonder, her eyes scanning around her surroundings. She then heard a sword unsheathe then a loud thud and a voice; Cassius voice as he threatened her violators with a low but deadly growl. Crystal watched the drunkards skedaddle away from them.

"T-thank you, Sir Cassius" she said breathlessly at her knight in shining armor, slightly trembling "How can I ever repay you?" she asked, rubbing her sore wrist.

This was not the first time she have become a damsel in distress, but for the sake of keeping her secret, she'll willing to become anything, even if it degrades her pride. How helpless I was again she thought to herself.

As she awaited his answer, she saw movement in the corner of her eye. "Illodran?" she asked out loud, hoping that who she saw was right. "Illodran, is that you?" she questioned, and began to walk in a corner.

"Oh, Illodran, what are you doing here hiding like a child!" she exclaimed, her voice a little bit playful and amused. "Where are Bethanie and Tomoe? Are they with Miss Atlanta?" she asked bombarding him question after question while slowly hiding her bruised wrist behind her, praying and hoping that he didn't see what happened earlier; that he didn't see how helpless and pathetic she was.

"You look a bit angered, are you alright? Did something happen?" she asked out of worry and concern, placing a perfectly soft hand on his cheek, looking into his eyes "Do you want me to prepare you some lavender tea? It helps to calm down nerves."

Cassius was about to tell her that she didn't need to repay him, but then she began assaulting this Illodran character with questions about people that she apparently knew. He walked over and stood behind her, simply observing the scene as it played out. when she started asking him about himself, Cassius felt the need to interject, "Crystal please, give him some space, bombarding him like this will only worsen his nerves."

wK3qdvI.png

@Lady Amalthea @Crono

As the intruders forced their way into Enoch's clearing, the trees did part ways, the malevolence radiating off of Raydon's form enough to wilt the very ground beneath his feet; however, as he and his companion entered, the trees closed around them, their monstrous trunks leaning forward, entangling their branches until it blocked out the very sun above their heads. The Forest gave a visible groan, as if to protest their being there, as if to say those black eyes were completely undeserving to gaze upon a being of such magnitude and purity. The wind gave another harsh blow, rushing over Raydon's form as if shouting a threat to him....as if to say that if he touched her, they would attack.

The faintest of glows were radiating from the trees as the last traces of stardust speckled over their twisting forms...stardust....It seemed that in Enoch's power rushed state, the dying Starlight had still managed to offer a layer of protection. This part of the forest...where the starlight had so carefully touched....was now alive and coherent. The moment Raydon touched Enoch, the Forest groaned in sudden protest and the wind hissed in fury, blowing passed the man's form as if trying to sweep Enoch away, but only managing to blow her white gown around Raydon's legs, and unraveling her wings from atop her heart-shaped head. Her slumber was far too deep...whatever attempts the wind was making to wake her was failing. Her head lulled, turning slightly to rest against Raydon's shoulder...This only caused the Forest's protest to rise more...the cries of the wind rising and rising until finally

RRRAAAAUUUUGGGHHHHH

The loud noise filled the area, the earth pulsating beneath the trio's feet as the ground gave a visible shift. The trees moved then, their bodies twisting as their large roots were suddenly forced from their earthy prison. The branches of a few started to unravel, moving like tentacles as they slammed into the ground, causing the ground to shake once more. The tree.....the trees were coming to life! Moving!...closing in...

The core of each was glowing bright blue, the power of the Starlight forcing them into action, nearly 12 of them, as they pushed themselves from their place in the woodline and stepped into the clearing. Their many roots were now their massive, octopus like legs, their branches twisting together to form arms, hands, and fingers...all reaching for the Intruder that dared to try to take their precious Starlight away from them. This would prove to not be as easy as the Intruders had thought...The forest would fight for Enoch's protection...

One of the tree's trunks ripped open, creating a ridged, crumbling gap as a deep roar erupted from the thing's throat. "BACKKKK!!! GIVE...BACKKK!!" The other walking trees followed suit, trunks erupting and spewing a chorus of chanting roars at the Intruders. Clearly, they would not be leaving without a fight.... The Trees' branches clawed at the earth, which shift again under their feet, clearly as angry and violent as the rest of the forest for the Intruder's theft. The Trees' screamed again, voices laced with pure venom. "BACK!....DIE..." They were closing in, the other trees in the clearing creating a clear barrier to prevent escape.

stardivider_zps0c01b101.png

Last edited:
Leone stared at the bright pillar of light that rose up over the forest. He glanced back at Johanna with her parting words. "I probably won't be the one who needs rescuing." He spoke simply before he began to walk in the direction that the light had shot up from. It was odd when both his dark self and his ordinary self agreed with anything, however, the two parts had very different ideas for heading that way.

Last edited:
"Uh... Well see ya loser!" Isaac the Editor gave a parting wave and a evil smirk as he pulled off the warrior's shadow. Since he was somewhat whole now he didn't need to be bonded to him anymore and the last thing he wanted was to be punished by the forest for something he didn't do. He dashed off, abandoning his former companion and searching for a new one. He found something, a creature with a horrible darkness hidden inside him, waiting to be released.

Leone had traveled out of sight of Johanna and Nexx, and out of earshot as well. His silent steps carried him deeper into the forest, where he heard something approach. He narrowed his eyes and his instincts told him that it wasn't a good idea to stick around as his eyes landed on the shadowed figure. He went to turn back, however he found that the darkness had taken control of his movements. That shadowed creature felt almost like a catalyst for the darkness. "Hello." The darkness spoke, his previously blue eyes shifting to a blood red color. His hand rested on the hilt of his sword and a smile was on his face.

Atalanta caught up with Illoran and Crystal. The pups in her arms as she eyed between the two."Here." She responded, putting the pups down. The woman looked around, feeling something rather bad happening and the pups did as well."Something feels wrong." she pointed out.

{ Sorry, not sure what to write. IM SO LOST OAO }

((Well in addition to Illodran and Crystal, Cassius is there as well, just read the past posts carefully))

Illodran's eyes grew wide. Hiding like a child? him? The amusement in her voice only stung all the more. He had been seriously worried about her! And now... she was mocking him, too. What was with the women in this forest? Did they all take him for a fool? "You are surely mistaken, my dear, such a thing is beneath me." He replied, looking up as Cassius approached. He drew himself up to his full height, his expression becoming stoic as he nodded with deep respect to the man.

"That was some fine fighting, knight. You are very skilled. I thank you for defending Miss Crystal's dignity."

And then Crystal was bombarding him with questions, and he took a step back, holding a hand up patiently as she spoke, and then Atlanta had come over to them with the pups in her arms. "Miss Crystal had just offered to make us all some lavender tea." He said dryly. Then, seeing Atlanta's concern, his expression softened and he turned to her.

"What's wrong?"

--​
"Coward." Mumbled Raydon as the forest burst into vengeful life around them. Still, he had no sense of loyalty or anger himself, just the dull ebb of emptiness, and he could not fault the strange shadow creature for leaving.

Raydon stood his ground as the earth beneath his feet rumbled and groaned. The roots of the trees pounded large grooves in the earth, but Raydon nimbly avoided their onslaught. Even the very earth gave a wanton cry and ripped open beneath his feet, but he catapulted himself into the air, looking down with empty eyes to see the large gorge that was carved like a ravine through the once beautiful field.
Branches reached for him, distorted maws gaped and cried out for the return of their angel, but Raydon just rose higher into the air where they could not reach him. He didn't want to risk dropping the pathetic, pale little thing, after all.

"No. Forest, hear me; I have claimed this girl's life and it will be forfeit. She is mine now. Be thankful you may never see her again, for she shall surely be changed should she ever return." Then he whisked through the sky on his monstrous wings, clouds anointing the pair in bitterly cold dew.

--​
castle_ruins_by_iidanmrak-d5o6ylv.jpg

It was some time before he found the ruins of the castle. Ancient, half buried, he trespassed through the halls with the skyborn girl in his arms. Ravens scattered overhead as he walked, no doubt many forest creatures had made this place home in the time this civilisation had fallen.

He lay her gently down on the cool flagstones, taking great care with her frail frame. She had come away from the battle of the glen with no bruise or scar to tell of it, of that he had been careful. Raydon stared at the girl for a long moment, his lps drawn to a thin line. What a perfectly dastardly creature to dare grace this earth with her presence. It was sickening.

He bit into his thumb, some infernal black liquid pouring out from his veins. With it he drew a pentagram on the floor, muttering harsh-sounding incantations that lit the room with red light. The shadows within the room began to crawl and move, hoarse voices whispering unintelligible things in the dark. Wiry hands with long fingers reached to clutch at the girl in the pentagram, but Raydon's presence held them back, and they slunk away back to the safety of their dark corners when he walked near.

Red bars stretched up from runes he had bled into the stone, sealing the girl in an infernal bird cage of sorts. He wandered over to what may once have been a throne, sitting himself down and peering over at the strange creature before him. Now, how did one capture a soul?

wK3qdvI.png

@Lady Amalthea

(Going to fastforward just a little bit for this)

How long had the angelic Enoch slept before large, forest brown eyes opened, blinking and causing speckles of glittering stardust to float free of her skin and float slowly up towards the ceiling... Only to touch the reddened bar of her strange cage and fizzle out with a shrill cry of agony. Those giant, peaceful eyes only widened in terror, confusion gracing thst perfect expression as her eyes her bombarded with the harsh red.

The fear that had climbed into her gentle heart only heightened as she felt the cruel cold upon her bare back...thr jagged flagstones rubbing against her porcelain skin and she slowly sat up. What was this place of blackness, the only light seeming to come from the red bars thst surrounded her, stretching all the way up to the vaulted, crumbed ceiling? It was cold...and she could feel the very evil radiating from it, slowly reaching to her like claws shadows...agent of darkness. She shrunk away from it, back up slightly as her wings flapped, causing white feather to fall free and burn to a crisp again the red bars, filling Enoch's nose with the smell of fire...

How had she gotten here? She remembered the starlight telling her of evil, and even now her chest was glowing vibrant blue, as a warning that evil was near...But she could hardly see anything...the shadows having grown so thick around her. She chirped, standing graceful as a dove as she eyed the unnatural cage around her...could it be that she was so easily captured...before her mission could even begin?...Why would the starlight warn her of danger...only to throw her into it moments later?...

Enoch reach out, delicate fingers wishing to touch the red, only the be drawn back as she heard the harsh cry of a raven, it wing flapping and scaring her, causing her wings to involuntarily open and press to the red bar...

A sheering pain errupted from her wing, causing her to jerk away with a loud cry, stumbling backward and catching herself on the icy flagstones once more. Her eings folded tight then, upon her elegant head, wound glowing blue as it quickly healed itself, but the trauma was still there...that was the first pain she had ever felt. She trembled, eyes watery with glowing tears as she stared around her, terrified of whatever was hidden in the darkness... yet there was a curiosity there, overpowering her fear as it always had...​

• Love
Reactions: LunarLavendula
Crystal watched Atalanta with the foo-pups, concern etched on the Virago's face. She then looked at Illoran with a frown, her brows furrowing with curiosity. "Is there something wrong?" she asked, her amused voice suddenly replaced with worry. Did I do something that could have upset him? She thought but shook her head lightly, a smile gracing her face "How about we all head back to the temple and have some tea?" she suggested cheerfully. "Oh you can come too if you want Sir Cassius. Think of it as a token of my gratitude"

Cassius smiled and nodded, then followed after her. He walked quickly to catch up with her and walk next to her. "I'm not really a knight you know, though I want to be, at the moment I am only a spellsword mercenary." He said to her honestly, he didn't want her to think that he was something that he was not, he wanted her to know at least part of the truth about him

Atalanta stared in the direction the temple would be and held a hand to her heart as she quivered, taking in a small breath."Temple..?" She muttered between her lips before running ahead with speed, what a virago was known for as well. The pups stopped their playing and froze. Atalanta was never one to react, so could it be that the magic happening affected the temple in a bad way? No, nothing can harm the temple. The pups whimpered almost immediately and ran after the rabbit woman."HEY WAIT UP! ATLANTA!" Called Bethanie. Tome seemed to be running more ahead of her sister only very slightly.

Atalanta took no chances. She didn't look back, she didn't even stop to catch her breath. She just kept running back to the shrine as the pups followed behind her some feet away. The forest was filled with lots of slightly thick smoke, and seemed more destroyed and a bit empty even. Atalanta let out a small breath. This would be where the gargoyle would be, and the elders on the walls. Then she heard flapping wings and looked over her head."What happened?" She asked blinking as she slowly and calmly caught her breath. The gargoyle had actually turned into flesh, for long it seemed. But he had long turned back to stone as he explained.

"Some thing wicked happened. Atalanta, you have to bring it back. The lady will not be pleased. To bring it back will be hard, and from here on out you will experience more hard times but will get through them. The seal and curse has been lifted from you. Your lady.... and the shrine has been destroyed by.."
"Seal? Curse? By?" Atalanta was confused. Her lady? Who exactly? The goddess left her behind and the gargoyle fell to the ground, turning back to stone and crumbling down. then, her ears had heard the kids voices.

"ATALANTA!"
"Woah, what happened?" Tome asked."This shouldn't be good." added the boy.

"Tch." Atalanta uttered looking back and resuming her run to the shrine. Eventually she made it.
piccit_the_ancient_tomb_by_li_shuxi_692507849.640x0.jpg

xM5iah81DSY.jpg

She passed the sacred centers which twisted and turned. Destroyed and yet it still held a sort of beauty. The woman then made it to where the throne was, 'throne'. Everything collapsed, yet the two chairs and stairs to it remained."Now how could this be.." She muttered. The pups also made it, and were surprised--shocked with tears as they trotted around the heart of the shrine."W..What--No!" Bethanie cried, running off to see how much was exactly destroyed as Tome ran after her .