For Country and Peace (Watase Yu x Eternalsinger13

Status
Not open for further replies.
Evelynne found herself pleasantly caught off guard by how similar in mindsets they were. She enjoyed it very much, but she was still a bit unsure as to what to think about it. "Anything is a possibility I suppose ..." She would say, smiling lightly to let him know she was teasing him a bit. As he chuckled at her blush and flustered reaction, Evelynne bit her bottom lip as she tried not to blush again. A grin would quickly tug at her lips as he laughed at her tease back. For a moment she had been afraid she would have offended him with her comment.

She was a bit surprised that she was letting her guard down as much as she was. However, the fact that he was willing to begin dropping his had been the push she needed. She worried what her brother would say if he saw them the way they were, beginning to become so comfortable with one another. She honestly couldn't imagine a better fate than Arikizo now that she was beginning to get to know him. His playful laugh made her blush gently again, a smile tugging at her lips. "Thank you." She managed with a nod, matching his soft chuckle. As he leaned in, she would listen intently, holding his gaze for a moment as he finished. The gesture meant quite a bit, but to be safe all she would do is nod her head gently.

Following his gaze down the hall, Evelynne would smile brightly. "Yes, please." She murmured as she followed after him. She appreciated the comfortable distance. She didn't mind his hand on her back. The fact that he left his hand away this time showed that he didn't have any alterior motives or intentions. She already been warned by her brother and father not to trust any of them. She now knew, at the very least, she could trust Arikizo. Which was certainly a blessing indeed, especially since she was to marry him. As he opened the door to the library, Evelynne would step inside, her smile growing as her eyes landed on all of the books. "Not expansive? Are you sure? It's incredible. And did I hear you call yourself bookish, Arikizo?" She found herself asking, her gaze drifting to him over her shoulder. "We might have a bit more in common than either of us realize ..." She murmured before her gaze drifted towards the books. At this rate, she was going to be telling him about her gift without even realizing.

Evelynne's reactions were endearing to say the least. She was playful, but honest. Optimistic, but not naive. Such a woman was a rare gem indeed among all of the snobby and self-absorbed nobility he had seen all his life. A welcome change of pace. Arikizo had never realized how truly lonely he was until he'd begun to interact with this princess. He'd always considered his isolation a necessary evil for the sake of his status. But meeting this thoughtful young woman had opened his eyes to a life that he'd been missing out on. Watching her look around the library in awe, the prince couldn't help but grin. "And did I hear you call yourself bookish, Arikizo?" The prince chuckled, having shut the door behind them to keep their conversations safe from prying ears. "You did indeed." He answered. "When you are stuck in a castle, left alone by your family and avoiding the company of the servants for fear of retribution, books are a great comfort." His smile widened a bit more. "Just don't tell anyone that I admit to that. I'll never hear the end of it." At her next comment his eyebrows quirked a bit. "Really. And how is that?" She'd made it clear about the obvious similarities, their mindsets, their enjoyment of the library and the stables, altogether their similar taste for peacefully hiding away.

As her eyes flitted over the books, Ari walked toward her standing at her side as she looked around. "Several of these you may not be able to understand." He murmured, pointing out a few. The titles were written in letters unlike that of the human language; they were written in an ancient text native to the dragon people. "By that, I mean that they are not in your tongue. Though there are many that are, often brought by servants from their homelands." He picked one up, running his fingers over the front cover to brush off any dust. While the library was a favorite retreat for the royal family, the books written in the human language were often left untouched. It was easier for them to read tales in their native tongue than try to comprehend a different one. There was a difference between being able to speak and understand spoken words in another tongue, and reading and writing in a foreign language. Several of these stories he remembered from his childhood, when he would ask the servants to read to him. Back before his parents decided that human companionship was disgraceful for him. He sighed, closing the book again and returning it to the shelf. "Is there anywhere else you would like to see?" He asked softly, trying to avoid the memories that were now pestering him.

As the prince chuckled, Evelynne would smile lightly. Now that he was opening up to her, she found his reactions rather endearing. By how he was looking at her, she had the feeling he felt the same. She would soon nod her head gently. "Very true, it is how I spent much of my own time as a child before they let me go to the marketplace." She would say, her fingers pausing on a book with strange letters that she didn't understand. "Not to worry, Arikizo. Your secret will be safe with me ..." She would say with a grin as she winked at him playfully. She soon bit her bottom lip, her gaze drifting back to the bookshelves for a moment. Her father and brother had told her not to tell anyone, but part of her knew she needed to tell Arikizo.

Stepping closer so she could lower her voice so only he would hear, Evelynne would clasp her hands nervously. "One of the reasons my father agreed to this marriage was that he felt I was better fit for a dragon spouse. I will not age like a normal human, but much more slowly. A gift, from my mother's side. She is much older than she appears. I am telling you this because ..." She paused, meeting his gaze finally. "I feel that I can trust you." She would finish before taking a step back and returning her focus on the books.

As he mentioned the books with the odd lettering, she would smile and nod. "I figured as much. Maybe some day you can try to teach me?" She asked, glancing back to the dragon prince before looking back to the books. "At least they know a piece of home is here and will be enjoyed." She would say as she watched him remove one of the books. As he dusted it off, she could tell he was thinking something, but she knew not to pry. It wasn't her place to do so. His focus was soon returned to her as he asked where else she wanted to go. Unfortunately, she couldn't think of anywhere. "Nothing is coming to mind. However, knowing where my quarters will be will eventually be needed sooner or later. And as much as I dread it, your parents and my brother will probably be wanting to speak with us soon about what they had decided ..." She murmured thoughtfully with a sigh.

"I'm glad to have someone I know I can trust." Arikizo murmured as Evelynne said she'd keep his secret to herself. Her playful little wink was quite sweet, but reminded him of someone he'd rather not remember; it was too painful to think about. She too had often taken up a very playful demeanor, and a fondness for reading. 'Leave the past in the past, and stop thinking about it.' He chastised himself, not wanting to seem troubled, lest he be questioned by his fiance. She stepped close to him, and his gaze turned away from the bookshelf. Her voice was quiet as she spoke, and his eyes widened at her words. A human that aged slowly? Was her mother a witch, or a half-ling of some kind? He wouldn't question it aloud, but he couldn't help but wonder where such a gift had come from.

"I am telling you this because ... I feel that I can trust you." So the princess had become more comfortable around him. Comfortable enough to trust a dragon, in a land of creatures that could hurt her. Arikizo was glad that she felt safe enough around him, as it would make all of this a lot less awkward and strained. "Your secret will be safe with me." He answered, echoing what she had said earlier. As she returned her focus back to the books, and asked if he might teach her to read in his language, a smile returned to his lips. "If that's what you want." He answered. "And perhaps you could teach me to read in your language as well?" It may have been assumed that, since dragons could speak English, they could also read it; but that was not the reality. Such was the reason that all treaties and declarations between the two kingdoms were read aloud, not simply put to paper.

"Finding which chamber will become yours would be an important detail." The dragon prince agreed, pulling himself away from the shelves. "Shall we continue then?"

((Sorry for cutting off without much happening, have to go do the dishes. Perhaps the king and queen and Isaiah could come across them while they leave the library?))

[[ OOC: Quite alright. ^.^ And that works for me. ]]

For a moment, she thought Arikizo seemed a bit troubled. However, the look was gone as quickly as it had appeared in the first place. Strange. She wanted to ask, but she didn't want to pry. Or assume that something had been wrong. She noticed his eyes widen in surprise. She knew he must have questions, but she appreciated that he didn't immediately question where it came from. It wasn't something she would want to discuss in the open like this. She was hoping she hadn't misplaced her trust in him. His verbal reassurance made her smile and nod. "Thank you." She would say in response.

Her grin would return as she nodded her head. "Of course. I have always been curious about the Dragon native tongue. It would be lovely to learn it so I may read some of your native tomes." She would say in response, her gaze drifting back Arikizo. "Of course. I would love too." She had suspected that they couldn't read English with how much dust were on those particular books, but she didn't want to assume. Reluctantly stepping away from the shelves, she would nod her head. "Yes, we probably should." She would say with a smile as she followed him from the library.

They were just stepping the through door, back into the hall when she saw them. His parents, accompanied by her brother as they conversed down the hall. Before she could do or say anything, her brother's green eyes fell onto her. "Ah! There you are little sister. I figured you would want to see where their library was ..." He teased as Evelynne straightened herself, managing a smile. She wasn't quite ready to see them just yet, not wanting to have the discussion of their wedding yet. She was just beginning to get comfortable with him. "Indeed, you know me so well. Isaiah. We were just about to go see where my chamber would be." Evelynne would say, hoping that it would be enough to get them away for a bit longer. "In due time, Evelynne. Let us go over all that we have discussed first." He would say, smiling as he looked to Arikizo before looking back to the King and Queen so they could say what all was decided for the timeline for the wedding.

Arikizo nodded at her thanks, though it seemed like an obvious thing. A gift such as that could attract a lot of unwanted attention, assumptions, rumors, otherwise a lot more trouble and danger than there already was facing Evelynne. On the topic of teaching her to understand the Draconian language, he smiled and nodded. "Then I will make sure to make time for that." He replied. They headed toward the doors of the library, and as they were walking out he caught sight of his parents, along with the human prince. His pleasant mood began to dull again. Back to business as usual. "Hiding away in the library again?" His father said, grinning as he heard that Evelynne also had a liking for the room as well. "So your wife enjoys books as well? How sweet." The queen added. "You two seem to have gotten over your awkward phase. Before you two could hardly stand to even look at each other." "Is it not customary that I would befriend my fiance?" The prince mumbled, the sarcasm dripping back into his voice. His parents looked somewhat surprised that he was acting fond of the human female; they'd probably expected him to spurn her. But he would fulfill their expectations.

"We do have much to discuss." The king said, cutting into the middle of the conversation again. "It has been decided that the wedding will take place in the middle of next week here at the castle." 'So late?' The prince thought. He would have expected that his parents would plan for the wedding to be sooner; much sooner. "We will host a ball afterward to commemorate your marriage." Arikizo gave a soft sigh, trying not to show his displeasure at the arrangement. He had always hated balls, believing that they were pretentious shows of wealth and an unnecessary occasion. Perhaps the planning on this occasion, and not the wedding itself, had been the reasoning behind the date. "So it shall be." He replied quietly, forcing a smile. "Is our attendance at this event required?" "But of course! It is for you, after all." He sighed, but nodded respectfully. "As you wish."

((OOC: Sorry it's so short, a bit of writers block))

[[ OOC: Quite alright. Feel free to time skip a couple days if you like, move the time line forward. ^.^ ]]

Evelynne would smile as Arikizo agreed to make time to teach her how to read the language. It gave her something to look forward too. And an excuse to spend more time with Arikizo, get to know him more. Looking to his parents, Evelynne would watch the banter lightly, careful to keep her features neutral as his father teased him. Looking to his mother, Evelynne would bite the inside of her cheek as she called her his wife. They weren't married yet. "Yes, your majesty. We have had some time to get to know each other a bit, which certainly helps." She murmured, trying not to laugh at Arikizo's extremely sarcastic response to his mother.

As before, his father quickly cut into the conversation, getting straight to business. Evelynne was a bit surprised by the choice in date. She would have expected all three of them to want it much sooner. Which made the knot in her stomach return. Did they have something planned? Or perhaps her brother was scheming for something? It concerned her, probably more than it should. At the mention of a ball, Evelynne would manage a smile. She didn't like balls very much. "As you wish. I am sure it will be a lovely occasion, your majesties." She would murmur before she would look to her brother. "Your dress, of course, came with you. Just a few final touches, which can be finished here. I will make sure all of the arrangements are made before I leave tomorrow morning."

Isaiah would smile at Evelynne, who would force a smile back. "But, of course. And do let us know if you need any help with any of the arrangements." She would say politely before looking to Arikizo. "If there was nothing else, Arikizo was in the middle of showing me where my quarters were located. It has been a long journey and a long day ..." She would say innocently with a smile. Hopefully they would let them be excused.

Arikizo noticed that Evelynne had fallen back into her neutral mask that she'd originally greeted the family with that morning. Her composed, almost distant look was a stark difference from the playful smile he'd gotten used to seeing on her face after the time he'd spent with her. He also saw the almost laugh that quirked her lips at his sarcastic comment, and couldn't help but smile ever so slightly himself. He'd tried very hard not to be sarcastic with her, not wanting to upset her; or worse, insult her. He paid more attention to her reactions than he did to the actual arrangements, knowing his parents would often remind him. It would be all the queen would talk about over dinners, no doubt. What color the decor will be, who is invited and who is 'most certainly not' invited. He could practically hear the conversations already.

As a nervous look crossed over Evelynne's face over the date of the wedding, he wondered what was going through her mind. Perhaps she was questioning the motive behind the late wedding too. And she didn't enjoy the idea of a ball either, by her uncomfortable smile. Having seen true ones, he could easily tell that it was forced. Her brother looked absolutely pleased; over the arrangements or his part in the set-up, he did not know. The prince remembered what Evelynne had said about her male relatives enjoying political games, and hoped there wasn't some underlying plot that they were unaware of. But no good would come from being paranoid, so he decided to let it go.

"If there was nothing else, Arikizo was in the middle of showing me where my quarters were located." "Why, of course." The queen responded, smiling. "We should best return to our duties anyways." She linked her arm with the king's and steered him away, striking up a conversation to keep him from hindering the younger couple further. Of the two parents, she was the one who was more agreeable toward Arikizo, whereas his father was more strict and seemingly obsessed with ridding him of any and all weakness that could be used against him. Just in case he ever became king, but some freak twist of fate, he supposed. He was glad to see that his mother was more or less on his side for this marriage. She had honestly been excited for him ever since it was announced.

"Now then, let us continue." Ari said a moment after the monarchs had left. He gave Evelynne's brother a respectful bow of the head. "Excuse us." He had no desire to make an enemy of the man, so acting as civil and polite as he could would keep him on their side. If he got on the human prince's bad side, who knows how he'd plot against them. If he did; but if he was anything like his brother, or his parents for that matter, political plotting wouldn't be that unexpected. He gently placed his hand on Evelynne's back, beginning to lead her past the other male and down the hall. 'Hopefully there is a room not far from here that could be hers.'

[[ OOC: My apologies for it being a bit short. Do feel free to time skip if you like. ^.^ ]]

Evelynne could feel Arikizo's eyes on her. Observing her facial reactions and such. She was a bit curious as to why he was watching her, but this wasn't the time to ask. She did, however, catch the ever so slight tug of a smile. He must of noticed her attempt to force down her laugh. She still couldn't help but wonder what role her brother had in all of this. Her focus would return to her brother, who seemed to be focusing on the King and Queen at the moment. What was going through that mind of his?

Looking to the Queen, Evelynne would smile as she bowed her head gently. "Thank you kindly ..." She would say in reply before watching the Queen not so subtly steer the King away before he could say or do anything else. She certainly seemed to be the more pleasant of the two. Time would only tell. Glancing to Arikizo, she would nod her head gently. "Yes, let's." She murmured, looking to her brother. "No problem at all. I should go see that the carriages are being unloaded. See you soon, little sister. Prince Arikizo." He was say, kissing his sister on the forehead before returning the polite bow of the head before he walked away after Ari's parents. Her brother was always difficult to read for Evelynne, making her frown gently.

Pushing her worries about the wedding and her brother aside, Evelynne looked to Arikizo as he placed his hand on Evelynne's back. It was much less forced than before. Almost second nature as the pair drifted down the hall to find her a room. "I am glad that is over for the time being ..." She thought, a worried look dancing over her features as she chewed on her bottom lip.

((OOC: Oops, completely forgot to do that last post XP probably would have given both of us more to write))

Evelynne looked as pleased as Arikizo felt when his parents took a quick departure from the conversation, glad to have that business out of the way. Hopefully, the path would be smoother from here on out. So long as there were no complications over the wedding arrangements, he didn't foresee any difficulties until after that point. His parents didn't seem to be in the middle of plotting. His mother definitely did not desire another war. It was always difficult for him to tell what his father wanted though. And then there was his brother, who had stayed out of their path surprisingly. Maybe kept busy with the king's duties while the monarchs were discussing the marriage.

Ari wasn't so sure what to think of Isaiah just yet. He appeared calm and unassuming, happy about this whole situation. He was as veiled in his expression as the dragon king was. That could be dangerous, as it was difficult to tell whether or not he was scheming or being honestly friendly; or any other emotion short of anger, really... well, that was how his father was. It was too soon to tell about the human prince. Once he headed off after the dragon king and queen, Arikizo sighed, noticing Evelynne's worried countenance. "Let's leave worrying about this wedding to our parents. Just relax, Evelynne. It'll work itself out." And so they continued down the hall to find a room for the princess.

. . . .

Days passed without incident, a couple new details on the wedding fleshed out. It was Sunday morning, the sky promising a warm, sunny day; and Arikizo had just finished getting fitted for his suit for the wedding. Exceptionally glad to be free of all the fuss, and actually being able to move freely for the first time in what had seemed to be forever, he headed toward the second floor of the castle. He knew Evelynne would either be in the library or her room at this point in the morning, as it was a bit nippy to be out in the barn. The two had been left alone for most of the time, allowing them to become even more accustomed to each other's company.

((OOC: Sorry the second bit is a little short. I didn't want to assume where Evelynne was))

Evelynne watched her brother go, a soft frown tugging at her lips. Generally she could read him, unless he was in politics-mode. Which here, he certainly was. And it concerned her a bit. She hoped he wasn't actually planning anything. He knew as well as their parents did that they couldn't afford another war. Not only were numbers down, but they still had much to rebuild. Progress had certainly been made, but it was slow. Looking to Arikizo, Evelynne would nod her head as they moved on. The fact that she couldn't read Arikizo's father, like her brother, also concerned her. His mother was different, she seemed readable enough and happy about the wedding. Only time will tell.

. . . .

As the days passed without incident, Evelynne found herself relaxing into the routines of the day. For the most part. She still kept her guard up with the others and she had only met the crown prince in passing once since she had arrived. Her brother had left onto the morning after her arrival, making all the arrangements for the tailors to come to her room each morning to work on the final touches of her dress. If she wasn't needed for wedding details or what not, Evelynne took advantage of her hiding spot in the stables. Arikizo had been right in that she would be left alone there. It was Sunday morning, the wedding only three days away, which was a bit frightening.

Evelynne had spent her morning on a makeshift pedestal in her room. The three seamstresses were here, wanting to finish the final touches on her wedding gown. Now that she was finished, Evelynne would change into a simple, yet elegant purple dress as the seamstresses put her dress away. It had simple silver embroidery and hugged her curves nicely. Her brunette locks were still pulled back into the bun from this morning, however a few stray shorter pieces had slipped free to frame her face. Once they had locked away her dress and returned the key to Evelynne, which slipped around her neck on a silver chain.

This had been her morning thus far, besides breakfast. Smiling, Evelynne would look to the three women."The dress looks stunning, ladies. Thank you, you may go. I will see you the day of the wedding ..." She murmured. Each woman would beam, curtsying as they thanked the princess before slipping out the door. As the door closed, Evelynne would sigh as she collapsed into a chair. She stretched out her legs, crossing them at her ankles as she let her head rest against the back of her chair. Her eyes would soon close as her left index finger rubbed her temple. "What a long morning ..." She would murmur to herself aloud.

Arikizo continued down the hall, passing by the library. Evelynne's room was not far beyond that point, relatively close to his bedchambers; not as close as he would like, as it was hidden from sight and he couldn't easily keep an eye out for her, but it would have to do. So long as it was away from the rest of his family for the time being, he would not complain. He recognized the seamstresses as they passed by him and gave them a small nod and smile. He'd seen them enough, as they'd been as busy with the wedding preparations on the princess's side as his servants were with his own. Arriving at her door, he would knock, awaiting a response before peeking in.

After Evelynne has responded, he quietly opened the door and stepped in only a few paces. It wasn't a normal custom to spend much time in one's bedchamber with another beyond romantic relations, so he tended to be quick to suggest a walk; lest the servants, or his family at the worst, start getting any improper rumors spreading through the castle. "I see you've been kept busy with your dress again." He said, grinning. "I hope it's more comfortable than the suit I'm being forced to endure." The outfit wasn't that uncomfortable, but it wasn't exactly meant for much movement either. "You look as exhausted as I feel, Evelynne." It had become much more common for him to address her by her name, and not her title, by this point. "If you're not too tired, might I suggest we take a stroll?" He offered, still staying close to the door. He would walk any further unless she approached him or bid him to move. Again, for the sake of avoiding rumors. The same reason he didn't dare to shut the door behind him either.

"If you are not feeling up to a long walk, perhaps we could relax in the library." Ari suggested after a moment. "It should be quiet for the time being. My parents are busy with a court meeting discussing the wedding, and my brother should be with them."

Hearing a knock at her door, Evelynne would sigh. Hopefully it was Arikizo and not someone else wanting her attention on another wedding matter. "Come in ..." She would call, straightening her legs and posture a bit in case it was someone else. Seeing that it was Arikizio, she would smile and relax into her chair again. She didn't have to worry about being to overly proper around him. "Busy, indeed. Thankfully the dress is complete, so I should be able to relax until the day of the wedding." She would reply before a giggle would escape her lips. "Not really. I have decided that wedding dresses are to make you look pretty only. Comfort is nonexistent." She would say as she dropped her hands into her lap.

He was always so careful when it came to her bedchamber. She appreciated it. The last thing either of them needed were rumors spreading about them and her bedchamber. At his suggestion for a stroll, Evelynne would smile. "A stroll would be lovely, let me just grab my shall. I am sure it is still a bit chilly out there." She would say as she stood. Retrieving the smooth silver colored shall, she would wrap it around her shoulders. "I would rather not chance it. Besides, it looks like it will be a nice day. We might as well take advantage of it, yes?" She would say as she closed the gap. Smiling up at him, she would step passed him and into the hall, her sapphire gaze drifting to him as she awaited for him to join her. Once he had done so, she would drift down the hall, heading towards the stairs. "How is your suit coming along anyway?" She would ask idly.

Evelynne had become much more relaxed in Arikizo's presence, and he was glad for that. The tension and awkwardness, artfully hidden by a composed expression she always wore when addressing his family, was sad to see when he'd gotten used to seeing her so happy in his presence. She always seemed to feel closed off from everyone else, mostly for her own safety. With that, he agreed; but still, it made him feel bad that she was forced to keep up a front. He, of all people, knew how exhausting that was. But it was times such as this, when the two of them were in the company of only themselves, that he could tell she wasn't truly grieved by this engagement. "I'm glad to hear that." He answered. "Perhaps your mornings will be more peaceful for the next few days at least." He couldn't help by laugh at her comment about wedding dresses. "I would assume so. Why can't clothing be formal and comfortable? You would look as lovely in a comfortable gown, such as the one you are wearing. It flatters you well enough." He quickly realized he'd complimented her, and a bit of blush, but he didn't exactly attempt to cover it. "But, then again, I supposed formality isn't meant to be relaxing."

Ari was glad to see that Evelynne was in good spirits, and seeing her so happy only enhanced his own mood. His lips remained quirked into a comfortable smile. "If that is what you wish." He responded as she spoke of wanting to go outside for a stroll, and not to the library. With his parents busy, at the very least, they wouldn't have to deal with any unpleasant and uncomfortable conversations regarding the upcoming event. And shouldn't the crown prince be expected to attend court meetings? He would, after all, have to lead them some day. He allowed the princess to walk out the room first before following suit, closing the door behind him. "My suit." He echoed. "There are still some minor adjustments to be made, according to the seamstress and my mother... but other than that, it is finished." He chuckled before adding: "And ready to be exceptionally uncomfortable."

They walked down the staircase and through the halls toward the back of the castle. As they neared the hall that lead out to their destination, Ravon intercepted them. "Why, good morning, Arikizo. Princess Evelynne." He said, smiling pleasantly. Ari gave him a wary look, but forced a small smile. "Good morning, Rovan." "And where are you two off to?" "We are just taking a stroll. The gardens most likely." He attempted to end the conversation there, but his sibling cut in again. This time his focus was on Evelynne. "I do hope your stay has been pleasant so far." He said. "It is not often that we have foreign visitors of your station." The younger prince stepped a bit between his brother and the princess. Rovan's tone of voice reminded him of an adult speaking to a child, and he did not approve of such treatment. His eyes narrowed a bit, and a frown beginning to form. "I would appreciate it if you didn't speak to her like that." He said coolly. The older male chuckled, grinning. "You don't have to act so defensive." He responded, putting his hands up as in surrender. "I am merely trying to be polite. You have been hiding her away. You never even bothered to introduce me. Where are your manners?"

Evelynne had certainly gotten use to keeping up the front with his family. She was beginning to become a bit more comfortable around his mother, who was genuinely excited about the upcoming nuptials. His father on the other hand, not so much. She could say much about Arikizo's brother since she had only ever seen him once for only several minutes since she had arrived. Returning her focus on Arikizo, she would smile gently. "I would like to hope so, we will have to see." She would respond before giggling. "Wouldn't that be nice? And thank you, this happens to be one of my favorites ..." She would murmur, a light blush coloring her cheeks as she grinned at his own blush.

As they began to drift down the hall and he spoke of his suit, Evelynne would grin. Apparently he still had at least another day before he was able to relax. Giggling as he mentioned the uncomfortableness again, Evelynne would nod her head. "Of course, we can't forget that important detail." She teased as they headed for the back of the castle. Before they could escape outside, Ravon appeared out of thin air. Not how she was hoping today was going to go. "Good morning, Prince Rovan." She would respond politely before she spared a glance at Arikizo.

She saw the wary look he had in regards to his brother, making a knot form in her stomach. As Rovan turned his focus on her, Evelynne would scowl lightly at his tone. She didn't appreciate being addressed as an incompetent child. Before she could say or do anything, Arikizo was already stepping between them and coming to her defense. More proof that she could trust him. "Your way of being polite is speaking down to me as if I am but a small child? I didn't know that was the true way to be polite. I will have to keep that in mind ..." She would respond before she could stop herself, though her tone was cool and neutral.

"I don't think it is his manners that are in question here, Prince Rovan." She would say, taking a step forward so that she was at Arikizo's side rather than behind him. "There was an opportunity just a day or two ago for introductions. However the moment you saw I was there, you left before I could make a proper introduction." She finished, her gaze and tone never faltering. "If lack of manners are in question here, it is yours. Not your brother's." Evelynne was hoping she wouldn't regret this later. She was keeping her tone and features as cool and neutral as possible throughout, but she wasn't going to just stand there like a defenseless little girl either.

From the moment Rovan had appeared in their path, the mood of the morning seemed to shift instantly. Arikizo's first thought had gone to keeping the meeting short to avoid any chance for conflict to sprout, but it didn't seem to be going as he planned. Evelynne didn't seem intimidated by Rovan, which the prince couldn't help but admire; nor did she show her annoyance, though he could see it through her facade. As she spoke the first time against Rovan, the younger male had to bite his tongue to keep from laughing. His gaze remained fixed on his sibling, ready to jump in if necessary. But Rovan smirked and laughed at her response. "You're as snarky as Arikizo." He said, amused by her outburst. "You two are perfect match. I congratulate you, brother."

Ari had assumed that Rovan would threaten her, try to hurt her even. On the contrary; the elder male found Evelynne's headstrong nature to be refreshing and interesting. To a certain point. Daring to insult him was beyond amusing. But a feisty woman was rare to see in the castle. The closest he'd come to such spirit was unruly servants who had been sold off from their home countries, refusing to believe that they were no longer free to do as they pleased. And this spunky princess was no serving girl.

As she continued, bringing criticism to the crown prince's manners, the older male began to fall silent. Ari began to worry that Evelynne might anger him, but the smirk that remained on Rovan's lips said otherwise. "Well, I apologize for being rude, then." Rovan responded once she had finished, giving her a small bow of the head. Very few people, other dragons included, would dare to speak against him. Perhaps he had misjudged the little princess. "You know how it is, though. Royalty is always busy with something." Arikizo could tell he was being condescending again, though this time less obvious about it, and glared. "What's wrong, 'Kizo? She speaks her mind, and you just stand there glaring." The look in the older prince's eyes burned with a challenge. "It's difficult to tell who the dragon is now." "Oh, so you're admitting that she is of our status?" Arikizo snapped back sarcastically. "How kind of you. Now why don't you leave us alone." "Now now, keep it down, little brother. You have such a temper. Besides, why shouldn't I get you know your fiance? She is going to be part of the family, after all."

Evelynne was hoping to avoid such conflicts. She didn't like causing problems, however Rovan seemed to be looking for it. She kept her focus on Rovan, who proceeded to laugh at her outburst. A blush would temporarily color her cheeks as he mused that they seemed to be a perfect match. She would quickly proceed to regain her composure, carefully keeping her features neutral. She feared that she had gone a bit to far and that Rovan would try something, but that seemed to be the opposite. Rovan almost seemed intrigued, which Evelynne thought may be worse.

Rovan's smirk made her want to shiver. That was not a look she wanted to see ever again, particularly aimed in her direction. As he bowed his head and apologized, she would hold her tongue, not wanting to make the situation any worse. "Except you at the time, I thought. I was under the impression that if it were anything of importance, your parents would have been involved. At the very least, your father. I believe we were getting ready for lunch at the time ..." She would muse, a forced smile gracing her lips as she tilted her head thoughtfully to the side in response to his slightly less condescending response.

As Rovan challenged Arikizo, Evelynne held her tongue. She knew it would not help Ari if she were to speak up for him. It was an intriguing show of the power balance at work between the two brothers. She hadn't realized how truly it tense it was. It also made her grateful that she had ended up being tied to Arikizo rather than Rovan. "Indeed, I will be. Though your mother seems to already count me as part of the family. There will be plenty of opportunities later to get to know me if you truly wish to do so ..." She would say, an innocent appearing smile gracing her lips. "However, I have had a rather trying morning thus far and was looking forward to a relaxing walk outside for a while. So, if you would please excuse us. We will be on our way." She would say with a light bow of her head. "Join us with your parents for dinner later, perhaps. You can begin to get to know me then ..." She finished, glancing to Arikizo.

'She's a tricky one.' Rovan thought as he observed how neutrally Evelynne remained throughout the entire conversation. Her words were bluntly honest, but carefully crafted. Her expression remained veiled for the most part. Every so often he would catch a glimpse of emotion for a moment, but it would quickly be hidden again. "Anything of importance would warrant my parent's presence?" He repeated curiously. "I suppose that would be reasonable assumption." "I believe we were getting ready for lunch at the time..." The prince couldn't help but chuckle. "Is a meal not important?" He answered jokingly. 'He's in an awfully good mood.' Arikizo thought. That could be a really good thing, or a really bad thing. "Besides," His sibling continued, turning his gaze back toward Ari. "It's customary in our culture for the male to introduce female companions."

Arikizo was about to respond when Evelynne jumped back in with her comments about becoming part of the family. Rovan narrowed his eyes a bit, as if he sensed some kind of trick. Was she honestly offering him chances to get to know her? Or was she just trying to get rid of him for the time being? He highly suspected the latter, but would take full advantage of the former. "I couldn't have said it better myself." The younger sibling said, gently placing his hand on Evelynne's back as usual. "Now then, Rovan, will you let us continue on our way? Or prove that you are just trying to be a pain in the ass?" "Mind your language in front of a lady." Rovan chastised before bowing his head to the couple. "I will see you two again later, then. Enjoy your stroll." And with that, he walked by his brother and back down the hallway away from them.

Once his sibling was out of sight, the younger one let of a sigh. "I apologize for his behavior. He's always like this." He murmured to Evelynne glancing back over his shoulder in the direction that his brother had gone. He had always been like this, though originally not as cruel. Always condescending and treating his younger brother like he was less just because he was younger. "I don't see what he has to gain from bullying me, other than the enjoyment of watching me lose my temper." Setting his gaze back on the princess, Arikizo let a smile begin to return to his face. "Now that that's over, shall we continue our walk?"

Evelynne would stay quiet as Rovan continued. She thought it best to not continue if she wanted this encounter to truly end any time soon. His nonchalentness about the whole thing was a tad irritating, but she didn't let it show. She had learned not to let excessive emotion show, it could be used against you. "I will keep that in mind ..." She would say in regards to what was considered customary introductions in Dragon culture.

As Arikizo placed a hand on her lower back, she tried not to give any her usual positive reactions. She had a feeling it would not help her here. At Arikizo's bluntness to his brother, she fought the urge to smile. She didn't mind at all that he swore. If anything she found it amusing. As soon as Rovan walked away, Evelynne would visibly relax. A sigh would soon escape her lips as she relaxed into Arikizo's touch.

Apparently Arikizo's mood towards his brother was the same to her own as she heard his own sigh. She couldn't help but smile a bit. At his apology, Evelynne would shake her head. "Not your fault your brother is a royal pain in the ass. And my apologies for my language, it isn't very lady like. I've dealt with my fair share like his type though ..." She murmured thoughtfully as she followed his gaze for a moment. "Some take enjoyment out of belittling others. Your brother seems to be one of them. I know it is easier said than done, but you shouldn't let him get to you. He is just getting what he wants from you by doing so." She murmured thoughtfully as she returned her focus to Arikizo.

"Yes, please. The air will do me good after that lovely encounter ..." She murmured, sarcasm dripping from her voice as she chuckled. "My apologies, by the way. I should have let you handle him. However, I didn't appreciate him talking to me like that. I know I am significantly younger than either of you, but still ..." She mused as the slid outside. As the cool morning air hit her, she would tighten her shall about her shoulders.

Arikizo was glad that the encounter with Rovan hadn't taken a turn for the worst. If either he or Evelynne had said something that had struck a nerve, the teasing easily could have turned into an all out fight. He wouldn't put it past his older brother. Although, as he thought that over, he couldn't remember a time that his sibling had ever physically harmed him. He grinned at the princess's comment, glad to see the smile back on her face. "No need to apologize. It's the truth." He replied, laughing. "I'm just upset that he was treating you like that. It was unnecessary and unwarranted." He nodded at her next comment. "I know I shouldn't react, but I can't help it. Perhaps I'm just hotblooded, like most dragons are. We do breath fire after all." It was his attempt at a joke, but he didn't think it was very funny; just true.

Ari grinned at her sarcastic comment, chuckling as he gently led her toward the back door of the castle. "No need to apologize. You didn't deserve to be treated that way. The only problem is that he seemed to enjoy your comments." He began to wonder what his brother could possibly want from the human princess. Why would he go out of his way to pick on her? Then again, maybe it was the same reason the brothers often came in conflict; because he felt she was lower than him, and therefore rightly deserving of his taunts. "He isn't used to having anyone speak up against him. My attempts at biting back at him don't phase him much. And no surprise that none of the servants would ever dare to back talk him for fear of his retaliation. Or my parents. Perhaps that is why he kept goading you." He sighed again. "What a pain."

"You may be younger than us, but you are far wiser than him." The dragon prince said as they made their way out into the open air. The gentle breeze was refreshing, especially since he'd been stuck inside all morning. And it was so quiet. Nothing but the rustle of the leaves in the trees, and the soft chirping of birds. "Ahh, it is nice out here. Much better than that stuffy castle." He stretched, removing his hand from Evelynne's back and folding them comfortably behind his head. "To think there's only three more days until all of this fuss is over with. Two, if you don't count today. Then the real fun begins."

Status
Not open for further replies.