Flynn Investigation & Co [A1 - THE ITCH]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Avoiding the blows from either side, Edward found himself retreating as Cyrus was advancing. Finding himself outside he brushed off a crease in his hat, donned it and looked over into the cabin to see what happened next. Doctor Berkeley knew that people often needed a few seconds to re-cooperate after waking up in an unknown place. Edward figured it was something to do with the diagnostic systems inside the brain overreacting, trying to make up for the lack of information.

Doctor Berkeley was trying to think up of what to say to stop the conflict. Sticky situations like this was never his strong suit. Then again, Edward wasn't sure if she was friend or foe. Reminding him of how his own functions might have a lack of information.

Ruko turned her head slightly to project her voice to the two people standing outside the carriage, however, not enough that she would have had to take her eyes off the girl. "Don't worry. If she answers my question and I decide that the likelihood of it happening again is low, then she will remain unharmed. If however, there is a chance of such a thing happening again, I have no choice but to destroy her." She turned again to look the girl in the eyes. Both of them were unarmed, but Ruko had several advantages over her victim, so there was very little possibility of success should she try to escape. For one, she was on top, meaning she was able to pin down limbs should she need to. She was also in a position from which a solid movement would render an arm permanently useless. She had also had 6 months training in what to do should you need to kill someone but you lack a weapon. "So. Why did you attack me?"

Still a bit disoriented, frightened, and on-guard Arabella answered shakily, "Who are you people?". A puzzled look spread across her face. She squirmed underneath the stern grip of this foreign woman. "Last I remembered I was on the streets and then blank...." Goosebumps riddled her body as she remembered why she was running, her body became rigid. 'I have to get out of here' she quickly thought. "I don't know who you are, but unless you want me to shake a flannin, would be so kind as to release me and let us go our separate wa-," The situation was too much; her legs gave out from under her, and Arabella collapsed on her knees once more. The carriage was spinning, the figures all around her began to blur. Images and colors danced around her vision, it become almost indistinguishable what was illusion and what was not. Arabella pressed at her temples and shut her eyes, her blood ran with a fiery heat, and sweat broke out from all of her pores. 'I need my next dose' she thought to herself as she doubled over as the waves of pain swept her body onto the shores of internal turmoil.

Ruko released her grip when she realised that the girl was probably never going to be a threat to anyone. She already regretted the kind of honing her instincts had had. She had wanted to try and stand out as little as possible in this place, a task already made different by her rare appearance, accent and fashion sense, and now she had gone and almost killed someone without even thinking about it. Now that she looked closely, the girl seemed as if she was in intense pain, hunched up in a very defensive position. In an attempt to right her wrong, she knelt down beside her. "Are you all right?"

"I-I..." Words became difficult form. 'I need another squirt' the words rebounded and echoed over and over in Arabella's head. The pain was nearing unbearable, and the calling of the drug beckoned her attention, it's call raising in decibels every moment away from the terrible fiend. The words of the woman knelt beside her were drowned out and faded into white noise. Arabella could feel the presence of the young man drawing nearer and nearer to her slight frame, but she no longer had the added strength of adrenaline to become her crutch for another round of protest.

[Everyone]

After a long while, Henry was confused as to what was taking everyone so long. He waited patiently behind the door, but no one came through. Then, Henry heard some rustling and some yelling from out side. After a moment of waiting, he went back out through the door and was presented with a strange scene. The girl they had picked up was on the ground writing in pain. Ruko stood over her. Edward was off to the side watching the whole scene play out, and Cyrus was not too far away watching Ruko intently.

"Oh what on Earth is going on out here? Oh my Tol! Help me get her inside before she croaks!" Henry walked over completely breaking his posture and carefully picked up the girl. "You, Cyrus, help me!"

((Taking controll, have permission.))

Cyrus nodded, and picked up the girl's legs. They lifted her off the ground with a quick heave. She squirmed in their grip, but he held on carefully and walked to the door, which opened automatically to reveal a very cozy, quant decor.

The room smelled of candles, and it dimly lit by lights on the walls. An orange glow colored the room and it's interrior. On the walls were countless trophies, medals, and news paper clips. "FLYNN INVESTIGATION SAVES THE DAY AGAIN!" One of them said above a black and white photo of a group wearing older clothing. Last season most definitely. Along with shelves that held all sorts of trinkets and oddities. Clocks of all shapes and sizes lined the walls. Gears spinning in them visibly. A small table was in the middle of the room, and right above was a large pipe that opened up. On the table there were numerous papers and writing utensils.

"Come in, everyone!" Henry said as he pulled the girl in and placed her on the couch. "Careful now..." He said to Cyrus as he lowered her gently, and then he slid a red pillow under her head. She fit snug on the red, patterened couch. To the right of it was a small night stand with a lame surrouned in brass coils. It's orange light glowed over the sleeping girls face. Henry let out a sigh of relief and then turned around and faced the group.

"Now, what the hell happened out there?" He asked removing his hat and placing it on a stand along with his coat. He wore a white button up underneath which was as white as snow and as spotless as most of his gear. He hung it up properly and mumbled to himself. "I left you all alone for a few minutes..." Henry walked over to a bookshelf and pushed a side a few books and slid out a bottle of brandy. On his tiptoes, he reached for the shot glasses on the very top of the bookshelf. He got them down and sat them down on the table and he poured himself a very generous glass shot.

Last edited by a moderator:
"Well, we were all preparing to get out. The young woman there on the couch woke up in a fit of rage and fear. Kicked Ruko, and Ruko pinned her to the cabin." Edward cleared his throat. "Then she spasmed and freaked out. I have never seen anything like it."

"Despite these misgivings, we should go see Mister Flynn. There is no reason to try his patience, am I correct?" Doctor Berkeley locked eyes with Henry, Cyrus, and Ruko.

[Dr. Berkeley/Everyone]

Henry listened carefully as he lifted the shot glass above his mouth and gulped it down. He sat it down and put his hand on the table. Henry turned his head over and looked at Berkeley. "Yes, we must speak with Mr. Flynn, but, did the girl... say anything. Anything odd? Well, maybe perhaps you should tell that to Flynn..." He turned the glass around on the table and he bit his lip. "FLYNN! We're here! Ruko, Cyrus, and Dr. Berkeley. We also have a girl with us who seems to be under some sort of ailment. Which is a bit of an under exaggeration." Henry spoke loudly and clearly. A few moments of silent, and then a voice came through the pipe above the table.

"Oh! Hello! Can everyone hear me? I'm Flynn!" The pipe shook visibly as the voice spoke through it. The voice sounded enthusiastic and cheerful. Also very firm. Every word felt like cement. "I'm glad that everyone is finally here! I've been waiting for quite some time. It's been worth it, though."

Cyrus was genuinely worried for this girl. Perhaps she is a narcoleptic. Cyrus pondered, but than he remembered, usually narcoleptic's only fall asleep when they're not doing anything. Saying she was not doing anything, the two times she passed out, is a very big understatement. Cyrus decided to just let the girl sleep, and he will perhaps talk to her when she wakes up. He just hopes she does not kick anyone, so we can avoid killing each other.

Cyrus than heard Henry yell for Flynn's name. Are we really going to see Flynn? Cyrus got very excited. No one is able to see Flynn in person. Than Cyrus heard a voice coming from the pipes stating to be Flynn. Cyrus was slightly disappointed, but still wanted to make a good impression on his new boss, before anyone else does. Cyrus fixed his posture, into a perfect line, and put his right hand on his forehead into saluting stance. "Cyrus special task force operative, reporting for duty Flynn sir!" Cyrus said in a firm, and loud voice, he than saluted. A sudden surge of stupidity came over Cyrus, did I really just say special task force? He had hoped his comrades did not notice. Cyrus still kept his perfect posture waiting for Flynn to speak again.

[Cyrus]

Flynn laughed audibly. "It's good to meet you, Cyrus. Well, kind of meet you. It seems you've already ruined the surprise on your real job here, but we can go more into detail about that soon." There was a rustling of papers and the sound of scribbling. "Why don't you all come over here to the table. I'd love you all to introtudce yourself to each other and to me if you haven't done so already. After that, we can get right to business. Time is crime solving, after all."

Henry piped in, "Uh, what of the girl, Flynn?" He asked looking back to her. He pulled out a chair and sat down.

"She'll have to wait for a moment. There's some things we have to adress first." Flynn said reassuringly. Henry nodded and started pulling the papers on the table together into a stack, and put it to the side and out of the way.

When Cyrus jumped up proudly announcing his titles, Doctor Edward smiled. The mans enthusiasm was almost inspiring. When Flynn asked them to move to the table, Edward did so. Doctor Berkeley took off his hat and made himself comfortable. Henry seemed odd to Edward, he had the power to speak up to him, almost as if he was his equal. Maybe it was more of a 49-51 deal, but it seemed to Edward that Henry wasn't simply just a driver.

"Well I suppose I'll go first." Doctor Edward was slightly put off by not seeing the real Flynn, it's as if he was afraid of something. Not knowing exactly what to say, he started off simply. "I'm Doctor Edward Berkeley. I came all the way from London, and I'm here as the Lead Investigator."

Ruko understood, or at least, she thought she understood, why Flynn had not appeared in person. When you are just a title, reputation is all you have, so suddenly doing anything to drastically alter that could put you out of business for good. "I am Mizore Ruko, from Sorakyo. I would state my job description, but as far as I can tell, your language lacks the words to do so." She had listened to the people who spoke before her, and although her english was good, there were several words she had not encountered before, so she assumed that it was probably more that she didn't know how to describe herself than that the language didn't allow for it. "We were told to bring nothing. When is that explained?"

[Cyrus, Berkeley & Ruko]

Flynn cleared his throat and addressed Dr. Berkeley. "It's good to have you on the team, Doctor. You're very renowned for your work, and I'm glad you've taken the opportunity to join the team. I understand that psychology is your major, which will be very helpful with the upcoming cases and trials you will all face. I'm sure the rest of you have been informed that Dr. Berkeley will be your lead investigator. I trust that you all will listen to him and follow his directions as he is the driving force of this team. I also hope that he can count on anyone of you to get the job done and assist. As investigators working for the good Doctor and I, be sure to protect him with you life. I know we're a simple investigation team, but we're also the only one and we're tasked to bring justice to a country with about two million people. It gets pretty hectic."

"Ruko, I chose you for a few reasons. I've been watching you for a long time now, I mean, I've been watching all of you. I have my ways of doing so. I know a lot about you and everyone else here in the room." Henry was about to pour another shot of brandy, but stopped halfway through after what Flynn said and he sat the bottle back down. "I hope you don't mind, Ruko, but I feel it is important I let the team on a secret of yours." The sound of movement came from the pipe. "Ruko is a Spark user from Sorakyo. Since she can't really describe her job here, I'll put it into simple terms. She's an assassin. A good one too. It may seem a bit extreme to have someone so dangerous on the team, but rest assured crime doesn't play fair, so we have to be able to block their cheats. However, just because I brought you in for your killing capabilities, that's not what I want you to do. If we were to kill every criminal, what information would we have on their plots and schemes? None. Your job here is to be stealthy, get information, disarm and disable. Plus, the less blood we have on our hands the better we look."

"Try not to take the fact she's a spark user as a surprise. I understand that it is forbidden here in New Victoria, Tol, even talking about it is enough to get you lynched after the great war, but Spark will come in handy for the tasks ahead." Flynn chuckled. "Plus, they're not the only one here with that capability. Cyrus is also a Spark user. Their 'job' here is Interrogator, however, the head in Tol had me bring him to the team. He's a special task force operative from Tol who is trained in Spark. With the mistakes we've made in the past, they figure the best way to recover from them is to have some stronger people on the team. I legally can't give you my view on the matter, but just know that your powers are dangerous, and being caught using them here could bring you down and the entire company. Keep that in mind. Spark is one of the best ways we can keep everyone here safe, but it's also what can be our ultimate downfall. I've never had a Spark user on the team before, so this is a new thing for you and I."

Flynn paused for a moment. "As for why I didn't want you to bring much with you is simply because you'll blend in better if you start to adapt to the customs and style of New Victoria. Luckily the press has no idea we have new investigators, so this is a good time to close a case without interference from the media. This will help you blend in better, get more information. However, this probably won't last long. By the time we solve our first case everyone will know who you are. In the meantime though, I have some Flynnz to spare to all of you to buy some equipment. I've also packed suitcases full of new clothing for you inside of your rooms, which are just right down the hall. I also decorated them to feel a bit more like home. Hopefully you like it."

"That's about all I have for you. Anymore questions?" Flynn asked.

"No sir! Thank you sir!" Cyrus slightly yelled, in a firm voice, with a hint of admiration. Cyrus was quite embarrassed that he said his job description in front of everyone, before Flynn told him to, better be more careful about my secret from now on. He thought deeply to himself. Cyrus glanced at Ruko, now knowing that she is a spark user, he did not feel as alone as he did. Cyrus had hoped to become her friend, although, she did not seem like the friendliest person ever. Cyrus thought he probably should apologize for somewhat threatening her, but it's probably better to do it later.

Cyrus remembered he has not yet introduced himself thoroughly to his new teammates, he than looked at his new co workers with a friendly smile, "I guess I have not formally introduced my true self yet. My name is Cyrus, I was assigned as a special forces operative, a group who uses spark power. I mainly use water power type spark. I am also an interrogator, as a cover up job, but that does not mean I have no skill in that area." Cyrus tried to seem as friendly as possible. He wanted to be on all of their good sides. "As for where I come from? I come from..." Cyrus paused mid sentence, and received a slight headache. He put his right hand on his forehead trying to remember. "Umm...Huh...Oh somewhere in North America, but enough about me! I am just wasting all of your time! I should be heading to my room sorry!" Cyrus said very quickly. He than made haste, and went to go find his room.

Cyrus felt slightly dumb, Great first impressions eh? Cyrus noticed the currency that he has received. It was different than what he has used in the past. He stuffed the money into his pocket, and looked for his room. Hopefully that little show I put on does not happen again...He repeated in his head over, and over.

Cyrus reached his room, and proceeded inside. The room was simple, yet everything Cyrus could want. The room was big enough for one person, The walls were a light blue, a cleanly made bed with red sheets was up against a corner on the right side of the room, a big dresser made out of clockwork material was at the feet of bed facing forward, A candle with some matches were next to the bed, a desk probably used for work sat on the left side of the room, and above the desk a map of New Victoria is hung on the wall.

Cyrus than opened up his bag, and looked inside. It seemed to be his new cloths. It consisted of a white long sleeve shirt underneath a light brown vest with golden buttons, the pants reached all the way down his legs and were the color brown, his shoes were big brown boots with white laces that reached up about half way to his knee, and lastly it came with some tan gloves. Cyrus put it all on than decided to go back to the briefing room, before he missed anything.

Last edited by a moderator:
"I have one question for you Mister Flynn." Edward said. "When can we expect to be assigned the case? I want to take a stroll in New Victoria, and I was wondering if I had enough time."

Doctor Berkeley was earnest, he had really wanted to view the city. Most of all, see if one of those fancy hydro-hats would fit him. It had been a long time since the ex-professor had been anywhere but London. With plenty of money, Doctor Berkeley was sure he could find a way to spend it around the city. 'If I learned anything from my time working as a detective. It's to have money for bribes.' Doctor Berkeley would figure that he set aside an amount of money for such expenditure.

[Dr. Berkeley]

The sound of paper rustling was heard, and then suddenly numerous papers fell out from the pipe. "Unfortunately, I already have something for you! There's a little problem in our streets right now. It's called 'Itch', a street drug that originated in Reprieve but managed to make popularity outside of there. However, we're not here to bust the drug, that's an impossible task with the four of you. There is something worse about it..." Flynn paused and there was more paper shuffling. A news paper article slid out from the pipe.

[BCOLOR=#ffffff]'ITCH' TONIC, OR AIRBORN?[/BCOLOR]
[BCOLOR=#ffffff]People claim that they are having Itch symptoms without even having tried the infamous drug...[/BCOLOR]
"Recently there has been an outbreak of this. People who haven't ever tried the drug, or so they claim, are recieving symptoms of it. However, they're not getting high off of whatever this is, they seem to only be experiancing the withdrawl side of it."

"Interesting. I heard a theory once... Oh what was it?" Doctor Edward flipped through the paper, "Someone did a study, it didn't have any scientific rigor but someone reported that they could patients with fake medicine." Doctor Edward sighed. "Though it might just fabricated it would be an interesting aspect to turn into."

Doctor Berkeley put the paper down. "Do we have anywhere to start?" The worst cases always started with a no to that question. Edward almost found himself praying that it wouldn't be one of those cases.

[Dr. Berkeley]

"No. There aren't a lot of places to turn to about this, and getting people suffering from this are hard to find our even get to talk about. I suppose it would make more sense if I told you what Itch does in the first place.... Itch is tonic, usually an ointment that you apply to your head. The properties in it vary on how the drug will affect you. I don't know much about the composition of these drugs, but I know that the effects can vary from feeling lighter than air to halucinations and black outs. One go at Itch will give you the worst of withdrawls. The most common thing that happens on a withdrawl is scratching or pulling out your hair. Your scalp burns and itches so intensely that the only way to recieve relief is to scratch at it til you bleed or clumps of hair fall out. That or take another dose. Since this is on the top of your head, it can easily be hidden from the eye by wearing a hat. Which is why it's hard to spot on the average user, or in this case, the victim. However, people with long term use suffer from blackouts, weakness, and other issues." Flynn sighed and fiddled with some more papers audibly. "Henry will take you to town to buy some goods. Weapons and tools, mostly. Hopefully you can catch some clues or hints there. I'm afraid I don't have much else to tell you.

"Did...did you say the Itch" The weak girl inquired as she slowly rose from her position on the chic victorian settee. She happened to be alert enough to be able to eaves-drop into the debriefing, from whence realization blossomed in her cerebral cortex. Her face paled and her eyes lit like an invigorated inferno as she the name of the product rolled off her lips and was introduced into the air. Arabella's eyes spanned the room of the dimly lit foyer and den space, then trailed over to the figures of the strange beings around her. "This is Flynn Co. isn't it?...My, where the many places fate puppets me toward.." She mumbled the last part to herself as she dragged her hands across her weary expression as she paced back and forth for a bit.

She studied the dirtied carpet for a moment trying to piece together the unexpected predicament she found herself in and what move to maneuver next. Her brows furrowed in concentration, "If..if you guys are truly the infamous Flynn Co., then it is to my understanding that you are investigating on the Itch case." She spoke with a new found clarity and assertion, "I know we started off from a rocky muck, but if you people are who I can assume you to be then perhaps I can initiate a contract based upon the principles of 'Quid pro quo'"

She searched the faces of the individuals, carefully calculating their expressions then continued, "My name is Arabella and my past matters not for this moment of distilled clockwork ticking. Although you may not feel comfortable in my presence, however if you seek additional help on this case from the perspective of one who has become so accustomed to the street as if it were an extension of their being, then I may just be the bricky associate you need to take down TUF and discover the underworking webs of the Itch distribution." Having said that, with new found confidence, Arabella cautiously approached the pipe on the wall and imitating Cyrus's actions as a way to assert her seriousness on the matter, "Good eve Sir Flynn, hope you're mad as hops to induct me into your fine establishment." she projected with a tinge of her teenage slang and sarcasm, allowing a sly half grin let loose a snippet of her hope and excitement toward this new opportunity and chapter in her life.

[Arabelle]

Henry laughed hartily at the girl and poured himself another shot. "Oh please, 'induct' you? Some woman off the streets who knows about 'Itch' enough to probably be addicted to it? Hardly." Henry gulped down the shot, and laughed once more. "Oh Tol... You do realize who you're in company with? Flynn! You know, the guy who the money is named after. Do you think he'd let someone the likes of you in?" Henry shook his head and jestured to the peopel around. "These people are highly trained, wise people. You're just some ill girl. I appologize for you ignorance." Henry turned himself away.

Flynn remained silent for a moment. "While I don't disagree with Henry, you're simply not qualified in anyway to be here, you're the only person I know of who has some sort of insight into the Itch."

"Don't tell me, Flynn. Don't..." Henry turned to the pipe.

"Yes, Henry. I think we're going to need her on this case whether we like it or not." Flynn stated simply.

Henry scoffed and turned away. "Pishposh."

"What do you know exactly, Arabelle? I know we're not looking for distributions of the Itch, but finding out where it comes from could lead us to figure out how it's tampering with people who haven't even tried it. This many cases of it are too frequent to be coincidental."

Status
Not open for further replies.