Flynn Investigation & Co [A1 - THE ITCH]

Status
Not open for further replies.
[Dr. Berkeley]

"Oh, did I refer to myself as so? Oh Tol, I'm even more scattered than I thought. It's been an interesting morning. Pardon my miscommunication, I'm Henry. Your chaperone for the evening, and probably most other nights." Henry put a hand to his face and sighed heavily. His bushy cheeks grew red, as he felt more and more flustered. "I really must get some rest. The storm had me up all night. I digress, sorry Doctor." He apologized looking up to the man. "Could you help me get her inside the carriage?" He asked as he started to lift her limp body off the cold ground.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cyrus let his guard down seeing the woman collapsed. What is her problem? He thought in his head. whatever the matter he did not want to leave her just lying in the middle of the streets. Cyrus officially greeted himself to Ruko, and Dr. Berkeley. "My name is Cyrus! Pleased to meet both of you, I hope we can work well together." Cyrus said with a big smile. Cyrus wanted to seem as kind, as possible so he can get on his new comrades good side. Cyrus than saw Henry picking up the body, and rushed over to help. After a few minutes they got her in the carriage, and Cyrus took a seat inside, signaling others to come in. Although Cyrus could not help, but feel slightly scared for when they would get to their destination. He did not want his new comrades to learn his secret.

Ruko listened to her new colleagues' introductions, before introducing herself as Mizore Ruko, from Sorakyo, one of the world's most prominent trading cities. She went no further, seeing as other than the carriage driver, no one else seemed to have introduced themselves beyond names. She didn't really have any prejudices against any of them; they all seemed like intelligent people who would make good companions. She ofcourse excluded the unconscious girl from this, as she held a strong hatred of weaklings. In her opinion, which was probably developed by her isolated upbringing and foreign culture, people who are so weak that they faint from simply falling on someone are not worthy of life.

[Everyone]

Henry made sure the girl sat up comfortably in the back seat. "Okay, I think we'll have enough room for everyone!" He brushed off his hands and made his way to the operator's seat. "Everyone inside, we mustn't waste anymore time. I'm sure Flynn is waiting ever so anxiously for our arrival." Henry flipped on some switches and the mechanical horses released some steam and the sound of turning gears hummed over his voice. "Everyone get in and buckle up. The ride might be a tad bumpy..." He put his hand through the window and gestured to everyone outside to step in.

After taking a cautious look at the mechanical monstrosity, Ruko reluctantly clambered into the wheeled box, taking a seat that would allow her to see forwards if she were to look out of the window. She didn't trust the machine-beast one bit. It was an abomination, a perversion of nature. Not to mention that it was probably not even half as effective as the real thing. Despite this though, she was still curious as to how it worked. She realised there were many peculiar customs in this abhorrent civilisation that were completely alien to her own principals. She had read a hand book on the flight here, and almost every word she read only forced her opinion of this place to grow worse. She still didn't understand why use of the spark was outlawed here. Where she came from, the ability to manipulate energy with thought alone was a prized and worshipped skill, because it allowed one to access efficiency levels that cannot be matched by normal man or machine.

Stepping into the vehicle Edward took a seat next to Ruko. Taking off his hat he asked. "So what do you do Miss... Ruka was it?" Edward frowned and spoke again before she had a chance to correct him. "Sorry I'm terrible with Polish names. Never could get them right."

In the midst of all of this, the Doctor was thinking. The ability to keep two conversations at once was something he learned while working as a detective of London, one with himself, and the other with another being. Edward was thinking of how young his companions were. Doctor Berkeley felt like he had mis-interpreted the mission, but he figured that he himself was in their position one day. The Captain of the Guard probably looked at him all of those years ago and wondered the same things Edward was thinking now.

[Everyone]

Henry pressed the pedal, and the mechanical horses began to ride down the street. Their movement was riged and aided by wheels, though the legs still moved up and down to simulate the movement of their legs. Steam exhausted from them every so often, and turning street corners made the gears inside tick louder. As the mechanical carriage made it's way around Civil and closer to the HQ, a light drizzle started up. People on the street held their bronze umbrellas high over their head's, or ducked under the onnings in front of shops and various antique stores. On the drive, the team passed by a corner store that was exceptionally busy with a line running out of the door. A poster on the window read: The New & Elegant Hydro-Hat! Followed by a picture of a cap with the usual clockwork decoration, but there was a small twist. A little tube ran around the curves that held a blue liquid that glowed prominantely. Some people stepped out of the shop with this new decor on. The function or purpose of it was some what obscure.

Ruko tried to ignore what the doctor had said, going to great extents to control her frustration, but alas, it was not to be. Ruko now had 2 people on her list of people she felt she may struggle to work with. "Ruko" she corrected him. "And I have no idea how you managed to get the impression I was Polish. I even said that I was from Sorakyo. Surely someone as obviously highborn as yourself would know of the location of one of the greatest trade hubs in the world." She wanted to continue, but unfortunately, the suited man had not given her any more ammunition. Instead, she stared out of the window. Her judgement of the mechanical horse was correct. She hated it. It was noisy and it was obnoxious, much like everything else in the forsaken city. As if to prove her point, a crowd of people promptly came into view, each wearing a ridiculous piece of headgear that looked to be a mechanical helmet decorated with blue tubes. She genuinely had no idea how that could possibly class as fashionable. With the blatant addiction to gears they had in this place, it was a wonder she hadn't seen someone walking around wearing only gears bent into all sorts of stupendously heavy designs.

Cyrus was very intrigued when they started moving in the carriage. It was a whole new experience. Although all the sound coming from the carriage was a tad annoying Cyrus thought, but he did not care much because it was a very intriguing experience. Cyrus noticed the drizzle, and stuck his hand of the window to feel the rain. It always gave him comfort. He never really knew why, but it just did. Cyrus kept looking at the unconscious girl, he had a slight worry. He knew that she was in some kind of trouble while she was running. Eventually Cyrus noticed the odd hydro hat. He was not necessarily intrigued with the hat itself, more of what was that liquid. He decided to try, and ask Henry, hoping he would hear Cyrus. "Hey Henry! What is that hydro hat?" He slightly yelled hoping Henry could hear him.

"Sorry, Ruko. I must have missed you saying that, the name sounded Polish to my ears." The Doctor stayed silent for a bit. After eying the colorful hats, he spoke up again. "Sorakyo? That's the gateway of trade? Something like that. Are you one of their infamous spark users? I've heard 'spark' seems to manifest quite powerfully around that area."

'Those hats seemed interesting. If I have free time I should go see if they have extra.' Edward always liked hats, and things that glowed. He was reminded of his favorite watch, a little device where the hands and minute marks glowed. It was using this material imported from half-way across the world. When it seemed to stop, Edward's Uncle brought it to him, and Edward figured out how to repair it. The young boy became fascinated with clockwork, and his Uncle assumed that, just like himself, the boy would grow up to design and make clocks, so he promised to fund Edward's education. 'Uncle Richard paid for my education personally, was never pleased when I took psychology in school. Oh I remember him saying that the mind was all confusing and never fit. So I took logic, and dynamic mathematics to please him. I'm glad I did, he was quite astonished when I was able to combine the two.'

Shrugging off old memories Doctor Berkeley focused on the present shaking off his mental conversation with himself.

[Henry]

"Huh? Oh, a Hydro-Hat?" Henry slowed his pace down a bit and turned a nozzle. "Well, it's a 'new' design by the Baren Bo Co. It's recieved a lot of press as of recent, though I can't really recall what it does. If you ask me, it's probably more for design than any actual function. New Victoria is more about looks than actually practicality." The carriage emmitted more steam, and coughed a little. Henry flipped a few more switches as banged on the hood of the carriage's interrior. "I kind of like it like that, though. Everyone looks so 'modern' and fancy. It's a wonderful time that we live in. Eh?" Henry turned his head around and smiled, but noticed the not so pleasant looking Ruko, and he turned right back around.

The word 'Spark' hit Henry's ears, and he glanced back at the Doctor. Did he not know about how dangerous it was to talk about that in New Victoria? He shrugged it off, and sped up the carriage a little. Hopefully the Doctor wouldn't mention it again. Not a topic that could be tossed so lightly. In New Victoria, at least. That talk was better for in doors.

Ruko heard the doctor's question, however, even though she was able to use the spark, she decided it was best to hide that for now, given that not only was use of the spark apparently illegal here, but also she wasn't particularly good with the language yet, so worming her way out of difficult situations was something she'd like to have to avoid for now. "No. I cannot use the spark." Her response was brief. She didn't really feel like elaborating. It was probable that she was trying not to mention her hometown as much as possible, to hide her identity as the infamous Midnight Fox from her coworkers.

Cyrus could not help, but to just feel so intrigued by the hats, even though Henry says they serve mostly for design. He wanted to try to buy one sometime, and see if the water inside could be used somehow. That could really help him with his spark abilities, but for now he decided to ignore it. Cyrus than heard the doctor mention something about spark. Cyrus stiffened up, and felt very uncomfortable. Cyrus wondered what Ruko's answer. Am I not the only spark user? He wondered, and he got somewhat excited. Ruko than declined the question, and Cyrus felt somewhat disappointed. Although he thought Ruko may be hiding it like he is. Cyrus really hoped that was the case, he did not want to be the only one.

Cyrus than noticed Henry glance back after the doctor used the word spark. "Uh...So doctor tell us something about yourself? Like what job were you assigned?" Cyrus asked with a friendly tone. Cyrus wanted the doctor to stop badgering Ruko, on inspection of her tone when she was talking, she was not having a good time. As well Cyrus could tell the topic of spark, was not appropriate here.

Seeing an option out of the awkward abyss Edward found himself in, he cleared his throat and spoke, "Well Cyrus. There's a lot to tell. I was picked to be the lead investigator. Which will probably be a role very similar to my work with the police department in London." Doctor Berkeley knew he could tattle on for ages about his experience in the police, but decided against taking such a cumbersome path. "Why do you think Mister Flynn picked you?"

Edward smiled, from what he has seen of the kid, he's an eastern sun, always there with a smile and trying to brighten the day. Edward wondered if once long ago he had been similar, Doctor Berkeley figured it was not so. 'When I was his age, it was all justice, snow, and intense studying.' Doctor Berkeley looked out the window, as he started another conversation with himself. Edward thought about the rain, time seemed slower when it was raining, so Edward had plenty of time to think, as well as wait for what Cyrus would say next.

"Lead investigator eh? It seems like you will be somewhat leading us in our investigations together." Cyrus said with a slight smile, and a tone of admiration. Cyrus liked this man, he was kind, smart, experienced and pretty wise. Cyrus could see himself working hard for this man. Although the question Edward asked slightly unsettled Cyrus. Cyrus knew the answer right off the bat, but knew he could not mention it here. "Well...I think it is because I am talented when it comes to talking to people, so I was hired as an interrogator. As well I have some experience with working for special company's in the past." Cyrus tried to tell as much truth as possible, and did not want to keep up the lies, but it was the best he could do for now. Cyrus could feel like this man is trustworthy. He did not seem the type to judge someone. Hopefully, Cyrus's instincts were right. Cyrus desperately needed more allies.

Without changing his expression, Edward said, "It's excellent that we will have someone with your skill set. I've worked with plenty of interrogators before. Those who can do it right are extremely useful." Then as if about to tell a joke, he smiled slightly and raised his eyebrows. "Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if it were you here or my mother."

Doctor Berkeley chuckled at his joke, "Not to say that you aren't well suited to the job. I'm sure if Mister Flynn wanted you, you were the best he could find." Edward reached for his bag, where he pulled out a small little object. It was a cylinder, both sides with glass and seemingly a lot of clockwork, not as a decoration.

"This is a kaleidoscope. I was building it with the workshop director at the University of London. All you have to do is fill it up with a little water." Edward stuck it outside the window to catch some rainfall, and then pull it back again. "Then hold this side to your eye. Close your other, and observe the world through the eyes of someone sick between the eye and the brain. With the disease called. Oh, what was it? Oculorbatio. It causes redness, dizziness, and false perceptions of the world."

"The device mechanical in nature, just simple painted glass with facets, but they are cut in such a way that the clockwork inside can spin the glass, so that it creates an effect of blur and color loss." Doctor Edward handed it to Cyrus. "We were making it for the medical professor, John. John wanted to be able to demonstrate to his students the extent of modern simulation with medicine. So he had us help him create an Oculorbatio simulator. Just press the little button on the side to get it started."

[Everyone]

The carriage pulled to a stop. "We're here!" Henry said all bright and cheery as he flipped off switches, and the mechanical horses seemed to die and slow to a crawl, and then a total stop. He parked right in front of a very peculiar building. Red brick lay on top of each other with pipes running up the sides. A small spout at the top trickled water on the side of the building into an alley way. It was small, not very big, but at the very top was some very interesting architecture.

In bold letters the words FLYNN INVESTIGATION & CO was plastered on the very front. Decorated and spelt out in pipes and various ornaments. Some widows peered out right below the sign, but the very top of the building was what was interesting. A giant gear spun around slowly, parallel to a few other gears that circled around a pipe leading upwards. The gears didn't seem attached to anything, and they had the illusion that they were floating in the air. At the very top was a small globe, but it only had the country of New Victoria on it, which also spun slowly.

Not nearly as fancy or as popular looking as the papers made it look, but none the less, it had a nice atmosphere to it. However, the building next to it had a good space between them, and the building seemed a bit run down, shotty, even. Boarded up windows, withering bricks, the area around looked much like it was dying.

Henry removed himself from the car and opened up the door facing the building. "Come on now, I'm sure he's expecting you any moment. Oh, and as for the girl, do be careful. There's a couch inside you can lay her on. I'll go get the fireplace heated." Henry left and walked over to the building as proper as always. He pulled out some keys from his pocket and unlocked an ungodly amount of locks on the front. After, he stepped back and the door opened automatically. He stepped inside.

Arabella was floating between the realms of consciousness and unconsciousness. In what seemed like the far distance, she could here the huffs and puffs of steam from the mechanical devices she had grown so accustomed to hearing. The sound of hooves trotting and whir of gears followed. 'Wait, where am I?' she thought to herself. 'Oh no, have I been captured? Did they find me?! What's happening?! Where am I?!!'. In a moment of panic and frustration, Arabella's eyes snapped open wide. She began to suddenly thrash about violently, "GET AWAY FROM ME!!! WHERE THE TOL AM I??! WHO ARE YOU PEOPLE" She screamed. Her time on the streets taught her to trust no one and to believe in no lies. In her still dreary and blurred vision due to the after affects of her sudden black-out, she could make out the figure of the woman sitting across from her. The strange woman's sullen aura and sadistic vibe rose red flags and rang sirens in panicked Arabella's instinctual defensive maneuvers. 'Perhaps this is the deceitful muck snipe who'd be so much of a meater to deal with me.' Arabella sprung up from her hands using the momentum to connect a cruel kick to the startled woman in front of her. Full of adrenaline and boost of energy from fear, the young mechanic quickly spun around her heels to survey her surroundings. She recognized this location as the inner holdings of a Model T-42 Carriage, a bit dated yet still considered fashionable and quite efficient. The teenager realized she was in the prescence of three other people, two still sitting in the horse-box and the other opening the door to a mysterious building.

The attack had taken Ruko by surprise. She hadn't expected someone to recover from unconsciousness so quickly. However, the kick, while proportionally powerful, was not well placed, so she managed to get off unwinded. Within a second, she had leapt across and positioned herself directly above her assailant. With one arm, she found the pressure point she was looking for, leaving the other arm free to defend herself. She began to apply force to her finger, which in a few seconds would begin to cause intense pain to radiate from the pressure point directly under the shoulder blade. Soon after that, it would become very easy to paralyse her arm all together. "I guess no one must have told you why I am here, otherwise you would have not so readily attacked me."

As Cyrus was getting out of the carriage he heard rustling inside of it. He looked back in, and noticed the unconscious girl awoken! She flew her leg forward at Ruko, and struck her with force. Cyrus could not help, but chuckle slightly. It was pretty funny. Ruko than proceeded to position herself strategically above the unconscious girl. The position that Ruko was in did not look like just some normal hold, but more of a technique to perhaps cause harm to someones body. Cyrus could not just sit on the side lines, he needed to do something. Cyrus took a few steps away from Ruko, he did not want her to jump on him. "Get off her now Ruko. I do not wish to use force." Cyrus said with a sincere tone. He would hate to have to use force against a comrade, but if it is the only way to save this helpless girl, he will.

Status
Not open for further replies.