Fly With Me - A Story of Survival ((IC))

BookDragon

Moon-Drunk-Pupper
Original poster
FOLKLORE MEMBER
Invitation Status
  1. Look for groups
  2. Looking for partners
Posting Speed
  1. Speed of Light
  2. Multiple posts per day
  3. 1-3 posts per day
Writing Levels
  1. Intermediate
  2. Adept
  3. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Male
  2. Female
Genres
Fantasy, magical, furry, romantic
(( If you are not already a part of this RP, please visit : OPEN SIGNUPS Fly With Me - A Story of Survival to join))

Weak morning sunlight filtered through the old space in the Drer wall onto Ariéas's scales. The warmth sent a shiver through his spine and he opened his eyes barely into a slit to see it was dawn. He reluctantly pushed himself up onto his massive haunches and yawned, white fangs glistening against the peach light. Looking down he smiled slightly seeing his mate still asleep next to him, her beauty something of a blessing to his newly awakened eyes.

He exited the tower silently through the cracked ceiling and clawed his way up to his perching point, a single beam of rusted steel overhanging the side of the tower and allowing him to see the entire Drer as well as into the forest around them. The trees swayed lazily in the now strengthening light and he inhaled deeply. The scent on the wind was fresh and crisp, it was a cool morning and as the frost that dusted the shadowy places of the Drer began to melt away, Ariéas decided it was time to rouse the others. Their pack was small but it was time they knew the truth about the brood of eggs resting beneath Rya's breast. For months they had all been awaiting the sound of hatchlings breaking through their tough shells and scampering about for food, but despite the best efforts, the eggs failed to thrive. This was the second attempt to nest and Ariéas was beginning to feel like the gods had cursed him.

No matter, they would simply try again when Rya went into season again. Nesting is an incredible source of pride among dragons and shows an alpha's ability to support their pack, this was a stinging blow to his image but as alpha Ariéas's duty was to bring the truth to light to his pack.

A deep sigh escaped Ariéas's jaws, the time had come. Without leaving his perch, Ariéas threw back his great head and from deep within his chest let out a bellowing grumble. It was low pitched and rasping, loud enough even to shake a few Kalu from their bedding trees and into the lightening sky. He relaxed on the perch with his tail dropping over the side and his wings curled tightly to his back, awaiting the members of his pack to awaken and respond to his call for a gathering.

Despite this failure, the pack must go on and continue to function. They still desperately needed hunters and Ariéas was keeping a close eye out for a second in command.

The sun rose with all its glory above the plains where the pack lived. But high on the summit of the cliffs which bordered the plains with the marshland, sunlight hadn't yet broken the veil of darkness, nestled in a cave on the top was Azrael. He usually picked the highest spots in an area to camp out, so he could keep an eye out for anything.

He awoke to the soft touch of sunlight which gently stroked his face, something that made him wish he had a mother. As he rose up he smelled something peculiar, it was another dragon, then he heard Aireas call a gathering. Panicked with the sudden foreign presence and the call of Aireas he swooped down to the Drer where the pack rested, as he circled above them, he saw a new male and female among the pack, the male was about his size, with a proud face and healthy body. The female was a little one (probably a healer, he thought) but the fact remained that she was beautiful with a light purple shade and a nimble body. The sudden realization struck him, others were joining the pack, he was both happy and panicked about this. He had to make his move, and it had to be today, his stomach rumbled to second his opinion. Breakfast first he thought, with that he flew up on the cliff to the leftover brute Fen'zi he caught the day before.

With his stomach full, he made his way down taking a cautious approach as he didnt know what Aireas would take of this. As he glided down he noticed Aireas sitting on a perch, this is the time he thought, now or never. With this he let out a gentle grumble to let Aireas know of his presence. When Aireas looked up Azrael slowly made his way down, not making any fast movements, as respectable and humble as Aireas is, he was also a very powerful force, on which Azrael certainly didnt want to tussle with for no reason. With this thought he slowly landed. Ready for whatever may come. If this failed, he didnt know what he would do, he would probably move from this land.

Last edited:
As the motion of her mate brought Rya to consciousness she could only huff in disappointment. Lifting her red wings to check on the clutch she saw the same sight as the last time. Still, uncracked eggs. Well past the time of hatching she had been stubborn and even aggressive when Aireas tried to convince her they will not hatch. It isn't uncommon for a female with eggs to be aggressive even to her mate. But he had a point that she at the time wasn't ready to hear. Even as she refused to give up her mother's lessons rang in her ears. Growing up she had learned everything from her mother. From survival, magic, combat, to the vital role of a mother. And nothing was harder than that. Having listened to her every time she spoke Rya knew why they didn't hatch. Or rather the extreme difficulty it is for dragons to get viable eggs. It had been natures limit to them for having long lives. A way to prevent dragons from growing so wide spread to quickly. It had remembered when species bred to rapidly for their own good.

In the times since she hatched and when she left the pack her mother had only four other clutches of eggs that hatched. Not all of them even made it to their first decade. Even fewer survived to adolescence. It is tedious and grueling work. Having to pour your own magic into the eggs daily even if she remains weakened from it. To sacrifice hunting and most other activities so she can regain that magic by sleeping and resting. Only eating due to Aireas being more than capable as a provider. And even still she hadn't wanted to but knew what needed to be done. After putting all that magic into them. To give them the best chance of survival it didn't help this time. So she needed to regain that energy she used to make and support them. Standing up she moved around the nest and stood so her back was to her mate.

Leaning down she gave the eggs one last sniff as if to ensure what she already knew. Taking one in her jaws she began to devour them. Consuming their otherwise unused magic and energy. Instinct and logic telling her the best way to survive and try again is to remove them the most efficient way possible. After the last egg was consumed she cleaned her muzzle of any trace. The only thing remaining were a few shards of egg shells. A shiver went down her spine and body as her maternal bond to the now removed eggs was gone completely. However a swell of magic returned to her that was a welcomed boost. When she was doing this Arieas had called for the few other members of the pack to gather. But what was interesting was the unexpected visitor. Standing beside her mate the ruby alpha female let out a growl that seemed to deep for one her size. The unknown dragon not being familiar to her but not acting like a threat, yet.

Last edited:
Ariéas's head snapped away from the line of trees and up towards the sound of wings above him. Instantly he was on his feet, claws clicking against the metal beneath him. The silvery-white dragon landed in a small clearing just inside the forest and as he stood there, motionless, Ariéas fumed. Knowing that the clutch was not viable, Rya would soon return to being in season and any male dragon around her would stand as a threat, within the pack or not. This new male reeked of testosterone and young blood, something Ariéas knew all too well from once holding such a fresh scent himself.

Without waiting for the creature to even open his jaws to declare his name, Ariéas leapt from his perch and unfurled his wings, catching a small updraft and gliding effortlessly to the ground in seconds. His slightly larger frame bowled over into the other male pushing both off their feet and after quickly regaining his stance. Ariéas dropped instantly to a combat crouch, claws flexed, the large boney spikes on his shoulders aimed carefully towards the male to protect his underbelly. He swelled his chest and let the burning fire in his throat illuminate his skin briefly sending red sparks between his clenched teeth.

"You dare come as close to my pack as nearly within my grasp? I have known of your presence since you began trailing us near the Great Falls. You have not posed a threat until now...and you are alive still only because I am allowing it...." His voice was deep and menacing. He had no particular personal fight with this dragon, he only had his mind set on protecting his territory, and his lineage from this potential rival male.

He continued, "Speak before I decide that your tongue looks better in my claws rather than attached to your maw...." Slowly, Ariéas began to circle the white dragon. He felt his scales stiffen along the ridge of his back, the flames sizzling just below his jaw ached to be let out but he swallowed and simply growled instead. He felt the weight of his steps around the slightly smaller male, sizing it up carefully.

There was a sudden rush of adrenaline within his wings knowing that Rya was watching (and judging) every move he made. As his female, her duty was to do so, but it still made him slightly nervous of her piercing gaze on his back.

He shook the feeling and bared his fangs once more.

With no hatchlings to take care of, Zendyr had volunteered to help Arieas with foraging for food in whatever way he could. The blind dragon didn't really completely know, but he had a feeling that the zu'rs were experiencing the same hardships as any bonded draconic pair. Since Zendyr had been accepted into the pack, he had eagerly awaited the arrival of the pair's hatchlings, but to no avail. If anything, the failure to procure the next generation was definitely a blow to the pair's pride and dignity as the alphas of the pack. It was often these droughts of fertility which sparked countless battles and challenges which could very well shatter a dragonflight's unity. When ambitious betas caught wind of the alpha's inability to produce offsprings, they challenged them under the notion of being unfit to rule. To an extent, it was quite fortunate that Arieas' pack was still small, and with the few members, none of them had any intentions of usurping the leadership. There were no threats to overthrowing the Alpha, and for Zendyr, he would patiently prod and support them along their difficult times.

It was the least he could do for them accepting him into the fold, though he was blind. It was irrational, really. Smaller packs tend to avoid weaker dragons in favor of building their group on the backs of strong ones. To invite weak individuals was acceptable of a large family, but not necessarily a mistake the Drer could afford. And, still, Arieas persisted. He saw something in him, something that not even Zendyr could see. And, for that, he had earned Zendyr's undying loyalty.

He was so loyal at this point that he was willing to hunt without his eyes. For him, for her, and for those who relied on the Drer to survive.

The sounds of a small pride of Horned fen'zi were easily distinguishable. A cacophony of murmurs, the rhythmic trotting of cloven hooves, and the distinguishable skittering of their horns as they gnashed it against one another-- it was a sound that Zendyr carved into his mind the moment he was able to hunt during his days as a fledgling. Even now, perched in the shadows as his mist wafted in the direction of his prey, Zendyr knew he didn't have to see to catch them. All he needed to do was attract the fen'zi using his scent, and once they sounded near, he would immediately manipulate his mist to become toxic enough to paralyze them. Fen'zi were more easily susceptible to his poison, much so that the lethal dose for them was far from a harmful dose to dragons. So, he was easily able to attract, paralyze, and bring back his food without much struggle. Thus, as the group approached his direction, he listened. And, listened.

Clip, clop. Clip, clop. Clip, clop.

There it is.

In a split second, the mists darkened, the fen'zis panicking for a second before the paralysis gripped their muscles. They fell one after another, and when the mists cleared back into its whitish haze, Zendyr had caught more than enough to feed their small pack. He was definitely way slower than a regular hunter (so slow that he often has to do his hunts in the night, so, he could have something to bring in the morning), but he caught a higher amount from time to time.

However, as he busied himself with grabbing the paralyzed prey with his jaws, the sound of Arieas' roar caused Zendyr's neck to snap in the direction of the alpha's tower. Gripping his numerous catch in his mouth, Zendyr flapped his wings before taking to the skies, guided only by pure instinct, memory, and the fading sounds of his alpha's roar to make his way back to the tower. His flight was clumsy and ungraceful, but once he finally found the tower, Arieas' voice was loud enough for him to hear to aid his descent. More disturbing, however, was the scent of a tradu'r. A lingering presence, like the chill in the air, even Zendyr felt back at the Great Falls.

As such, Zendyr hovered above the tower, descending slowly until he found purchase behind the intruder, guided by its scent and its growl earlier.

The Mistwalker unhinged his jaw, dropping the mound of prey at his feet before he turned his nostrils up, fiercely sniffing at the air as he finally pinpointed the direction of the trespasser. He had no doubts that Arieas would be more than enough to deal with this draconic intruder, but without his sight, he could never fully gauge the abilities of a foe. He had to be ready for anything.

"Maybe this is the reason why there was a marked drop in the quantity of prey in our domain," Zendyr spoke, his voice a silvery pitch laced with a misty baritone. "A tradu'r hunting here as well."

Zendyr had little intention to fight (he wanted to avoid it entirely), but he had to be prepared. Slowly, the white mists surrounding him began to darken, wisps of light and dark haze wafting around him in preparation to engage this foe should the need arise.

Unexpected was an understatement, one could guess it was instinct, something that Azrael had only when he wanted it (which was for hunting). The sudden aggression of Aireas was surely a surprise, but nothing extraordinarily surprising, he was experienced in fighting dragons bigger and physically stronger than him, after all it wasnt the size of an anrik in a fight that mattered it was the size of the fight in an anrik that mattered most, and Azrael knew that Aireas was not a professional that he was acting in pure instinct to protect his pack. So he didnt fight, perhaps that would elude that he was not a threat because that's not why he came. He came to speak. But even before he could open his mouth, Aireas lunged at him, with his superior physical strength he knocked Azrael of his feet and in the process lost his own footing and fell. It's too early in the morning to fight Azrael thought to himself. Seconds after he fell Aireas was back on his legs crouched and growling, Azrael decided against all his will to start a fight with the leader. So he got up slowly, and carefully. Aireas spoke, You dare come as close to my pack as nearly in my grasp ? Azrael wanted to answer but rebuked himself, anything that came out of him now would make things worse, Aireas continued, I have known your presence since you started trailing us near great falls. This was a surprise to Azrael, maybe he underestimated Aireas and his skills. Aireas continued, You have not posed a threat until now...and you are alive still only because I am allowing it. The typical dialogue of any dragon he met before, maybe I didnt underestimate Aireas after all Azrael thought. Aireas was now in full battle stance showing his muscle and his mouth fluttered under the red electric element inside him waiting to burst out and tear through Azrael. Aireas told him to speak, followed by a threat which Azrael didnt notice, because he was looking inside the drer where Rya, Aireas's mate stood watching. Azrael quickly came to realization, I must be smelly that's why Aireas's instincts kicked in. So before the situation got any worse Azrael did something that he never did before in his life, something that he thought he would never ever do. Azrael stood straight up and dipped his head, comming as far away yet close enough as possible to a bow, (not of submission Azrael thought to fight his ego, a bow of respect). After he highered his head he looked at the drer again to see not of Rya anymore. Phew that got out of claw. Then he looked at Aireas, who still held a crouched position but his eyes changed from fury to something else which Azrael couldnt pinpoint. With that Azrael began to speak. Hello Aireas, the name is Azrael you saw what I did, and you can clearly see that your mate has lost interest in my case. So you can cut the fight, I'm not in a mood for that. Azrael caught himself, ( what was I thinking, that sounded like I was making a joke of him ). He expected to get jumped again but he never did. After a few seconds of standing still Aireas stood up from his stance, before he could speak Azrael piped in. I was travelling, when I saw your pack I never really stay in on place for too long sort of a loner, so I've lost most of my instincts about mating and heated females, over the course of 3000 years that is. I've not come to fight you, that's the last thing on my to do list, this doesn't mean that I will not defend myself. Azrael controlled his ego and pride to the best of his abilities but some leaked through anyway. Azrael looked at the ground for a bit, sort of waiting for a response, after he didnt get any. He looked back up at Aireas and saw him standing up, so he wouldn't fight ( Azrael knew the dragon had wisdom, for a wise dragon doesnt rely on the power of a fight, he relied on the power of peace, his masters voice bounced through him). Azrael started again, I don't have a pack because i havent trusted anyone to be close to them. But you seemed different, you seemed to know what you are doing when you're leading, not like most others whom I've seen. I saw something special in you and your mate Aireas, so I thought maybe I could talk to you. Besides your pack is few in numbers, so you could only benefit from me. With this he drew close to Aireas, as close as he dared anyways, so he could whisper. I have never had to be loyal to anyone, and I've never sworn loyalty to anyone, my life taught me why I shouldn't, Azrael trailed if but quickly found himself and came back to the subject. I came here to tell you that I Azrael in the name of all the gods in the world hereby swear my undying loyalty to you, in the hope's that are just, and kind. There he had done it, there was no going back now, he would either be accepted as a brother, or rejected as a scum, which would ofcourse mean a life time of shame. After he finished his oath he raised his claws and gently cut the place where his blast organ would be and drew blood, he then took some in his claws and stamped that onto the sand which they stood on. Without knowing his eyes watered and he shed tears, when Aireas looked at him he hid his face, not wanting to give out any weakness yet. He then quickly fumed his face so the tears are removed and rose his head to face the leader. His future is for Aireas to decided, and he waited.

Last edited:
Reactions: Equusheart
Deirdre laid under the open sky, the sun shining on her making her smile in her sleep. Despite her element being the quite opposite she still enjoyed the light and even sought it. She deep down wished that she could sleep all day but of course hearing the low growl of her Alpha Aireas made her eyes slowly open. Her piercing blue eyes stared up at the sky before the sun made her close them again. She stood up her wings stretching out as she let out a low growl. She wish she could just stay in this lovely spot forever but duty calls. She shook her body before making her way where Aireas and his mate Rya laid. As she got closer she noticed the tension in the air.

Soon she spotted the two male dragons staring each other down. This made Deirdre a bit nervous as she did not think anyone would try to challenge Aireas for the pack. They were small and not as strong as some other packs so she didn't think there would be any challenge. She slowly approached the two of them listening to their conversation. She was surprised to hear that this dragon wanted to join their pack. She tilted her head hoping she wasn't causing any disrespect by speaking up. "You want to join the pack?" she said softly. "Aireas, if I may speak my own opinion I think that would be a good idea. We need more hunters and with Zendyr going out on his own I'm afraid for his safety not because he is blind but because how little there is of us" she said. She really hope she didn't cross the line by speaking up but she just thought she should.

Strange creature....
Ariéas blinked and watched the event unfold before him almost as if he were not involved. The one called Azrael bobbed up and down when he spoke and after babbling about loyalty, cut his chest and stamped the ground, a pledge Ariéas had not seen done in ages. This was a dragon who had studied the ways of old, the clans of the Far North and seemingly took it upon himself to reinstate.

The blood stamp originated in the Battle of The R'lkun, or "Red Sun" as it is translated now. There had been two mighty princes, who were brothers, that battled over a small bit of territory in the high northern mountains. They squabbled for years about who the territory would fall to when their father died and when he did, they went to war. Never had blood been spilled as it had that day and more magical presence resides in the forests there than anywhere else in the world because of it. At the end of the battle, all of their weapons and magics depleted, the two brothers saw the blindness of their pride and vowed, a blood vow, never to be foolish again. They stamped their marks into the earth and it is rumored a great pine tree, greater than any other in the world, grew from the deep magic of the bond.

Ariéas pondered this story for a moment and when he regained his presence in reality, he found himself staring down at the mark in the sand.
The smallish frame of the healer dragon danced on his peripherals and despite her otherwise disrespectful outburst, she had a valid point. With the severe injury to his pride from the lack of hatchings and proper ranks it took everything in Ariéas not to snap at her to mind her place. But, he knew she was right so he opted instead to nod once and acknowledge her point. He would deal with her outburst later.

Before him lay powerful statement of loyalty and coming from a dragon so unknown, Ariéas would be a fool to take it lightly. "I do not discount your act of loyalty. I do not wish for you to feel as though you cannot earn a keep within a dragonflight such as this one," He stood proudly from his crouch and felt his scales relax, "However, I will not pledge my own blood to answer your vow. I do not know your heart or where your true intensions lie. For the meantime, I will allow you to remain within the territory, even within this very Drer. I will confer with my counterpart and she will decide your fate. But, be wared, do not mistake my grace for weakness." He bared his fangs once more and scored the soft earth with his great claws.

Ariéas swiped his tail across the sand near Azrael's blood stamp and dusted a few bits of sand overtop, a gesture meaning that the pledge was pending. Swiftly he bounded back to the tower and leapt with ease up the side of the structure to the mouth of the den. Before entering his gaze caught the sightless stare of Zendyr, the lethal mists of his being inching their way into the air. Smirking at the intense loyalty of such a formidable yet humble dragon, Ariéas simply said, "Keep an eye on him...and be nice..." Despite Zendyr's lack of sight, the alpha smiled slightly at him anyways and made his way into the den without looking back again.

He knew Azrael would not leave the pledge area if he truly meant it until a decision was reached. They did not need another hot head dragon nor did they need anyone willing to challenge him. This Azrael could be an incredible ally....or a future downfall. The risk was great but the decision was not to be made alone.

"Rya? I feel so much sorrow in my breast for our failure. I am moved to emotions I cannot endure alone but now we cannot grieve. We have decisions to make and the pack needs us strong. This new dragon, Azrael as he calls himself, has pledged his allegiance to me, I have half a mind to accept his offer. We need a hunting party, we need Deirdre to focus on our nesting rather than helping Zendyr hunt." He closed his jaws and waited for her reply.

@Iyashi @KnightsCalatrava @Soverign @NatureG9

Last edited:
"Keep an eye on him?" Zendyr chuckled as he shook his head. He wasn't really offended, and at this point, jokes about his blindness were far beyond the point of being a sore spot. He embraced his disability, a solemn reminder of what happens when he lets his pride get in the way of his life. The blindness taught him that he had so much to learn, and that, in the darkness of his penance, he could see more than his eyes ever could. "Lady Rya is definitely lucky to have you. But, I'll do what I can, lord Arieas."

At this point, Zendyr turned towards the general direction of the intruder, Azrael. The black mists vanished, leaving only the white haze to permeate around him before he cleared his throat.

"Azrael," Zendyr began with a fanged grin. "I commend for you for your bravery at invading an alpha's domain without prior preparations. Or, even an offering of peace. Not sure if that was the smartest move, but," The Mistwalker chuckled before speaking again. "You seem to have a peaceful heart from your words. You seek a home, a family, and that is what you will find here. In time." Zendyr spoke before dropping one of his prey at Azrael's feet as an offering of peace. "My name is Zendyr. We do not have much, but it is in having so little that one realizes that they actually have so much to share."

The sightless dragon nodded at Azrael before turning to Deirdre with a smile.

"Thank you for your concern for my safety, Deirdre," he grinned at the female dragon. "Mayhap, you could accompany me next time should your duties as a healer not be so burdensome? With you at my side, I do admit it makes me feel safer. To have eyes which I do not possess." However, Zendyr knew he had to voice out his concern towards the ice dragon's outburst earlier. "Still, it is better to refrain from speaking in heightened situations such as this one. Lord Arieas is just and kind, but he is still proud of his position as an Alpha. For someone else to talk in a situation where an Alpha has the jurisdiction may be misconstrued as an insult and a sign of weakness on the alpha's part for not being able to instill discipline in his ranks."

However, in an effort not to make the healer feel too bad, he chuckled to lighten the situation.

"But, hearing you argue for my safety shows how much you care for the pack. You're amazing."

The blind dragon nodded at her before turning his attention back to Azrael.

"You know the pledges of the olden days," Zendyr remarked with an admiring tone. "You must have seen a lot of the world, especially, in how broken it currently is."

Rya had moved back into the Drer as they spoke and she sat back on her haunches. Being a strong dragoness she took pride in her appearance like many females and took pride in her abilities. With care she had taken started to clean her scales wanting to appear as vibrant as she did before the caring for the eggs. It wasn't something uncommon especially with no eggs to care for. Her season would start and even if she was only going to be with Arieas, she wanted to look her best. As the displays and conversations outside the Drer got quieter but she had already built an annoyance to the male "Perhaps i am mellowing, well time will tell" She said to herself aloud.

Not long after her mate had entered. Half of her wanted to run up and use his size as a shield from the sorrow. The other half wanted to snap at him and remind him they may have to endure many failures before hatchlings grace their nest. Almost ignoring his statement she groomed her wing cleaning it of anything bothering to her or her scales. Having a sudden perfectionist persistence. Once she was done did she turn and look at him. Her scarlet eyes studied him with a caring yet critical way. Taking each step slowly and when she stopped in front of him she looked up to meet his gaze almost like she would snap at his jaw. Her face being unemotional for a moment. But instead she nuzzled into his chest lovingly letting out a soft rumble "We may mourn another time. And we must grow stronger. Strong enough to push past this pain. Though this stings our pride we must accept that it may take several tries to get a nest of hatchlings. But we can discuss that later" She said in a soft and kind voice. Meeting his gaze again she sat on her haunches relaxed by him before returning to the subject at hand.

Looking out the Drer she couldn't see him. But smelling him was another thing entirely "Trusting him blindly will end with one of us dead or taken from the other. But for such a dragon to just show up when we are in need is curious no? So i propose this my dear Arieas. Let him pledge to you his loyalty. And give him time to earn your true trust. Pledges are one thing, but trust of the pack is quite another. Let him earn his keep and then we can begin growing the next generation" As she finished her statement her voice lowering down to a more intimate tone. A smile gracing her face as her tail curled up and rubbed his bottom jaw. Not stopping however she walked to the edge of the den and dropped down gracefully. Any evidence of a decision in there conversation her face showed no signs of it. Once she hit the ground her eyes went over her pack happily but once they reached the newcomer she studied him. Her eyes searching for the soul worn on his scales. Waiting for Aireas she walked closer showing no fear at all even if he was larger. Taking in his scent she rumbled "I am Rya, Sa'Zur of the pack" Keeping her words few but her voice powerful as she stopped beside where her mate was before

Last edited:
So much went through Azrael's head, so many emotions, so many thoughts, too much for him to bear. He had pledged his loyalty and sealed it with his blood, not only his blood but blood from his blast organ. He did the oath of the olden days to make sure Aireas knew he was truthful. Was this how loyalty was treated like. For him to be put on pending, this was worse than being rejected. The fury ran through his veins, ( oh no, I cant loose control now Azrael thought. I would hurt someone). Zendyr the supposedly blind dragon spoke to him, his voice wise and proud, and then Rya herself came over and addressed herself powerfuly but Azrael couldn't understand anything he couldn't hear anything. His body started radiating with fire, and electricity, the air around him started to feel as cold as ice. His scale started turning black, with red streaks. He was loosing control, and he absolutely couldn't hurt anyone. This has not happened in over 2000 years ever since his admission to the alliance, he has learned to keep himself straight. But this was not just any situation, this was a direct neglect to his loyalty, this was worse than a rejection. His body started to radiate with the imbalance of elements.

He needed to let them know that he wishes not to hurt them. Even Aireas with his powerful self wont be able to take on Azrael at this time without at least severely injuring himself. Gathering everything his masters had taught him, he turned his gaze towards Rya and said "sssSorrrry AAabouttt TTHis, bbButtt I wwil lleavee for AA Bbit, TTtelll Aireas thaat I mean nNoo Hharmmm". Before she could even reply, he began to pass out, his scales returning to white and blue. His power depleted, shame overwhelming him to the point he wanted to leave the land and never return. But before he fully passed out he saw reason in the alpha's decision. He was a newcomer, an outsider there is no reason for the alpha to trust him especially with the power he wields, all he could wish for is that the pack understands him too.

As he slipped into unconsciousness, he saw images of 2 proud dragons standing over him, chaos behind them. The male smiled at him, and called him, SON. The scene quickly shifted to the morning when he was drifting over the pack, and saw them peacefully asleep. Something in his mind said that he is here to stay. With this his mind went blank.

Last edited:
Deirdre felt relieved when Arieas simply acknowledged her. She knew she was out of line but she felt as though she needed to speak up. It was clear this strange dragon was immature and quite inexperienced being with a pack. She felt as though she should help him anyways. She listened to what her Alpha had to say and turned her head to look at Rya who would speak up as well. Deirdre always admired Rya and her beauty, she was always so proud and strong. Deirdre hoped that one day she could stand that tall.

Soon Zendyr appeared and a smile appeared on her own face. She was glad to see him come back safe and unharmed. She didn't like mending the wounds of those close to her. it always hurt her heart when she had to but with her ability it was her destiny to do so. Deirdre bowed her head towards Zendyr appreciating his statement. "Of course Zendyr, I will be your eyes" she said looking back up at him. When he began to voice his concern about her speaking out of line. She bowed her head again nodding slightly. It was wrong of her to have spoken out of line and she was ready to take any punishment given to her. "Please forgive me Arieas I did not want to insult you nor the pack" she said. She looked back up when Zendyr chuckled at her. It was nice to hear his laughter as it made her feel more at ease. She blushed at his complement smiling some more. "It's not me who is amazing but thank you. I alway care for everyone as I don't want to lose anyone" she said.

Looking at Azrael when he started to reacted negatively to the pending decision did she feel her nerves tense up. She crouched a bit digging her claws into the sand. It would be dangerous for him to start to fight as he was outnumbered and if a threat would be killed. She didn't want to fight and barely knew how to fight but she would gladly put her life down for her pack. She watched his movement, he seemed unable to control his anger which was a dangerous thing. To her, he seem to react like a child something that they didn't need at the moment. They all had to be strong so that the pack could become stronger. It was only then did she see him collapsed relaxing herself again. "Is he alright?" Shall I check him?" she asked Arieas and Rya.

Last edited:
Ariéas took a deep shuddering breath at his mates words. She was so fierce and strong, one of the many things that drew him to her in the first place. And, she was right. It would be foolish to trust him blindly but at the same time they could use this dragons strength and ability to further their pack.

Without saying another word Ariéas followed Rya out of the tower and back towards the clearing. Both Zendyr and Deirdre were there talking quietly but Azrael was no where to be seen. Large scorch marks in the sand gave away his outburst as well as deep scores in the earth from frantic claw movements. Only after searching the area briefly did he find the creature collapsed to the earth, breathing heavily.

What is the meaning of this?” Ariéas remained calm and nudged Azrael’s sleeping frame with a claw. He turned his gaze to the healer dragon, “Well? Aren’t you going to revive him?” His tone was firm and slightly annoyed. He knew that this was a very unstable male as far as balancing his power and controlling his emotions, not unlike how Ariéas himself has been as a younger dragon. Azrael needed guidance but held a lot of potential to be an asset.

Ariéas stepped away from Azraels motionless body and back towards Rya, standing proudly beside her as he waited for Deirdre to revive him. He leaned Towards her and whispered in a hushed tone only Rya could hear, “I hope he didn’t over-exert himself since upon his waking he must be challenged...”

It may not have seemed fair but pack rules are rules. As a new potential member of the dragonflihht, he must be tested for his abilities. He would run a gauntlet of tasks leading up a final acceptance ceremony, but only if he succeeded and surpassed the expectations of both alphas. The tests would include: Finding and killing a male Brute Fen’zi, retrieving water from the base of the Great Falls (and avoiding the easily angered water spirits there), and showcasing breath and flight abilities in hand to hand combat with another member of the pack.

Ariéas slowly laid down and pressed his belly to the warming sand, crossed his front legs, and pushed his wings slightly open to take in the sun’s warmth. Despite not fully trusting this dragon, he did leave a memorable first impression.

"It is pride, lord Arieas," Zendyr calmly spoke as he approached. "I believe he came here fully expecting to be accepted without much of a debate. For a small dragonflight such as ours to test him may have been, well," The sightless dragon chuckled. "Quite a shock. Even I had to undergo the same test even with my... impairment."

Zendyr recalled the test he performed upon asking to be made a member of the pack. Hunting a brute fen'zi was more than just a simple challenge. The fen'zi's tough armor was providing quite a barrier against Zendyr's poison, and no matter how much he blasted his target with streams of the black mist, the fen'zi was not going down. Zendyr could also not overdo his poison lest he damage his surroundings and Arieas and Rya. Thus, the only way he won over his prey was the fact that he allowed the brute to bite through his scales, thereby poisoning the fen'zi from within-- a place not even its armor could shield it. The hardest part was definitely having to spar with lord Arieas who was superior to him in every way. Zendyr swore that the fire dragon was not unleashing his full might against him (was it out of respect for his blindess? Zendyr didn't know). But, though battered, bruised, and scorched, the blind dragon was accepted and he could not be more proud.

"An inability to control his powers, coupled with a mound of pride and entitlement," Zendyr shook his head, reminding him of his fledgling days. "He has much to learn, I believe. I hope he learns what he needs to learn during the gauntlet. Let me help him along the way."

The blind dragon extended his neck, gathering a burst of white mist into his jaws before spewing it softly at the unconscious dragonflight aspirant. His white mist, while less effective than Deirdre's healing, still possessed the ability to mend and repair cells and bruises. It aided in the recovery of others, but more so, was the secret of Zendyr's strength. Still, he bore no ill-will against Azrael. He only wished that this aspirant would be able to control his powers. If not for himself, then, for the pack. Especially, with lady Rya about to go into season in a few more journeys of the sun. He was worried for how he would act around the pack, and he could only hope that he wouldn't become like the ghost of Zendyr's past.

"Your turn, Deirdre," Zendyr grinned at the empty space to the healer's left. "He needs to see that a flight of dragons isn't built on a single dragon alone," Zendyr mused as he finished his mists. "It's built on its alphas, and the dragons who support them. No matter how small they stand or how little they can see. A lesson well-seared into my skin, lord Arieas and lady Rya, during my own gauntlet. No doubt he'll learn it. In time."

When her mate had found the collapsed Azrael and she had thought him dead for a moment. Until a large breath of air filled his lungs and just as quickly went back out. Warrior wise and a hunter he had potential but when it came to the pack if one were to lose control so easily they could bring harm rather than skill. As her mate whispered to her she nuzzled him and she responded in a similar hushed tone "He will need to be tested yes. And with his power i need to see if he has the ability to push past emotions like this. When the time comes you test his body and might. I will test his mind and magic" Though not uncommon for Zur's to test their new recruits they do however test certain aspects they may see as valuable. It can vary from pack to pack but in the end it is to strengthen them. As leaders Zur's are to teach and grow the pack as well as defend them.

As the healers did their work Rya closed her eyes and did a gentle meditation. Her mind branched out and she entered a mild combat state. Having learned to master every aspect of magic she used unseeable tendrils of magic moved and sensed the world around her. The bright light of magic being her mate shown beside her. The unique magic of Zandyr was easily recognizable. Even healing magic like Deirdre was something she could detect. When the tendrils reached the downed dragon she sensed its instability. Making it more like the dreaded storms that occasionally come through the land. Powerful yes but unstable at best. Opening her eyes she gently recalled her magic and whispered to her mate once again "After he finishes the other steps we should test him immediately after. Find the limits even he may not know" It was a grueling test under normal situations. Painful and above all necessary. Even taking the step further to not allow rest was a gamble. But if he was to be truly understood his limits needed to be found. And once his faults lay bare to them could they be improved upon.

Deirdre heard the annoyed tone that Arieas had. She knew that once this was over she was really gonna get an earful. She really needed to watch her mouth. She had no idea why she was so mouthy today. She usually stayed silent and did as she was told but maybe it was because of the newcomer. She was curious about him and where did he come from. “R-Right away” she said walking over to the fallen dragon. Looking at him, she couldn’t really see what was wrong with him. He might have over exhausted his power which in turn made him collapsed. Closing her eyes she laid her head on top of his focusing her healing to his mind and slowly spreading throughout his body to heal any little wound he had or hurt.

Deirdre continued to use her energy to give him more strength. As her powers courses through him, she found some unknown condition in him. She couldn’t figure it out and her abilities could not heal it. About five minutes later she drew back feeling a bit exhausted and having to step back and laid on her stomach. “There” she said softly. “He should be awake soon” she said closing her eyes for a second. She was quite exhausted and needed to rest for a bit. She just hoped that the young dragon would be alright. She wanted the best for this pack and to her, they were all misfits in some shape or form. Maybe that was just her being naive but still she had faith that they could all be together and be stronger. She loved her family and didn’t want to lose them.

Azrael came to conciousness when a claw nudged his snout. But he didnt dare open his eyes or lift his chin, partly because he was exhausted. He lay there, ashamed, the pack probably thought of him as a child by now and he had earned it. It was common for young males to have an inability to balance their power, this caused them to rage easier, which was also an ancient evolutionary technique which gave young males the mindset to challenge in order to mate. His situation was different, and a surprise. Never had he thought his old past would creep up on him again.

Normally dragons have one given set of element, wether fire, electricity, ice/water, or acid. But there are certain special cases where they are given something different, lava, rock, mindcontrol, healing, and one of the rarest of them all, mist. But his wasnt a gift, it was a curse. His body was exposed to the magic infused blood of ice, fire, and electric dragons before he was 10 days old, which caused him to be forever cursed with this assortment of elements which he could use, but could also use him.

He knew the alphas decision was just, and wise. Aireas was also kind enough to add that he didnt see Azraels vow as meaningless. It was maybe that he was travelling a lot, and that he stepped out of his needed meditation and practice that his masters insisted upon him.

Whatever it was he had failed their expectations. Acting like a petulant child who threw a meltdown. This was not something a fledgling pack needed or even wanted. Although he didnt smell them, he probably reckoned they had hatchlings whom they needed to care for, and him being in the middle of it like this was not good. He began loosing the trust that he put on himself

But then, something incredible happened. Someone was healing him !!! He wanted to look up soo bad but he couldnt. It felt like a mist that covered him. And it rid of his I'll feelings and thoughts. It felt like when he was meditating back with his grand master. A moment after that, he felt a close presence on his head, whatever it was he never experienced it, it was such a feeling that he thought he was probably in heaven. He was never healed by a healer before, his grand master was a mist dragon and that's all he needed his entire life, but this was different, it gave him energy the energy he needed soo badly. He decided to slaughter his remaining pride, and with the small boost of confidence he got from the heals he slowly stood up, stretching his aching muscles.

This time not bowing with respect but bowing with gratitude, for not killing him when he was passed out and also not attacking him at once when he woke up. There really was something peculiar about this pack, Azrael thought. His bow was genuine, and the feathery scales at the back of his neck stood up as he lifted his head. Before him sat the alpha, with the sunlight shining on his back, and as Azrael looked around he saw Rya the Sa'zur, the pretty little dragon, and the blind one Aireas called Zendyr. Seeing them this close with his now relaxed mind he felt even more ashamed.

With this he spoke, " before all of you say or do anything, please understand something important, I have a curse that was brought upon me, one that I have never seen anywhere else in my days around this world thankfully, and you saw what it did to me. I bileave that I have been stripped of my pride, and now I can see that what I saw was wrong. I am not fit for this pack, I am not fit for any pack. So Aireas, if you will nobly breath upon my stamp to invalidate it, I will take my leave and never return to bother any of you. I had faith in myself, but it died the moment my scale turned from white to black, I only came to you because I saw something special in this pack and I would hate myself the most if I cause mayhem here, but I would like to thank whomever healed me, he said looking at Deirdre, and then Zendyr," Azrael knew it had to be the blind dragon who was the mist, "you have a rare power, one that could help this pack, not like me."

Then he turned to Deirdre, " thank you healer, your act was greatly appreciated, and more over needed" he chuckled. After saying this he turned to the Alpha. Azrael stretched his body and flexed his wings, showing his full wingspan, an act which meant he trusted them. Then he stocked his wings and waited.

He waited, to hear any of them say anything.

Last edited:
Ariéas knew that this was an inexperienced dragon when it came to being a part of a pack. He knew that this creature could do with some gentle coaching and guidance to transform into a powerful ally. Ariéas's tail twitched across Rya's scales and twisted briefly around the end of hers, an act they had done since courtship as a sign of their lifebond. He lifted his head and watched carefully, Azrael stood, stretched and spoke. The words were heartfelt and from the deepest part of his feeling. Nevertheless Ariéas nodded once at Rya and stood on his great legs, stretching out his wingspan far above him and dipped his head slightly towards Azrael.

"I, Ariéas accept your pledge of loyalty and welcome you into our humble dragonflight, despite what you have stated I believe you have everything that it takes to be a valuable member of this family." He quickly lifted his head and folded his wings tightly against his back. Without waiting for Azrael's reply, the alpha swiped his tail across the sand, scoring the earth directly across the blood stamp thus signaling the acceptance of the pledge. His golden eyes narrowed and his breath rumbled quietly in his chest, he knew this was going to be a challenge but this was a step that needed to be taken for the sake and safety of the pack's future.

"The trails will begin tomorrow to formally accept you into the pack and set your rank among us. For now, accompany Deirdre on a hunt for the morning feeding. The sun does not wait for us so you must chase it to get back lost time in the day. There are many tasks to complete in this new area of our territory and as you are hunting, Zendyr I expect your assistance here." With that he nodded at Azrael and Deirdre and trotted slowly back over to the center of the Drer and waited for Rya and Zendyr to join him. There was much clearing to do of brush and debris if they truly expected to live here full time and they needed to get started.

Storm clouds began to gather on the eastern horizon and a damp scent blew across his nostrils on the morning breeze. The rain was much needed in this area of their territory but the danger of mudslides and structure collapses rose with each rainfall. Ariéas sighed deeply and closed his eyes...

All will be fine....I pray to the gods...

As she watched the male Rya found herself smiling as Arieas's tail rubbed against her. The subtle action was something they adopted that held great significance yet needed little energy to do. Once her mate had given the verdict on the newcomers fate she had agreed especially on the act to hunt tonight. Best to see how he could act under pressure. Turning with her mate to the Drer she walked beside him. Though the smell of rain put her mind on edge slightly she pushed it away for later. Once entering the den she brushed her side against his chest chuckling to him as she went looking around the Drer. Skulls and bones of past eaten meals scatter the floor. She had waited a month or two in the Drer and Arieas provided meal after meal. In particular a rather large skull of a bull brute Fen'zi resides in close proximity to the once used nest.

Looking around she started to get into a similar mindset females would get into once a mate was found. They are very particular and when it came to a home and a place to nest in they got damn near perfectionist in their criteria. Picking up many of the small and cluttered bones she tossed them out and worked to clean the nest site. Even though crafting the nest was important she quickly tossed away the used nesting material and made sure the place she had made the nest was completely clean of anything she used before. Looking around she looked towards her mate and placed the skull of the brute Fen'zi at his feet
"I would like to keep this. Reminds me how good you are to me" After nuzzling him sweetly she kept cleaning but there was a section that was of very large and heavy beams and struts. Several of whom had cracked and bent down near falling off almost. When they had first claimed the Drer and territory they were not as damaged. But multiple dragons living here and a storm or two they would need to be removed.

Looking back at Arieas she motioned towards the potential danger and of the heavy struts and debris already on the floor "Could you two move the heavy pieces hanging or have fallen off of the Drer? I would rather remove a possible danger now than have a storm come through and have it fall upon us" She said calmly. A smile gracing her face as she continued to work. Enjoying the task she gathered dozens of bones and skulls and group by group she tossed them out. But saving the most impressive of Arieas's hunts. Now focusing on her nest she gathered materials either from the Drer or from the surrounding area. Even as dragons were large apex predators. Her tenderness and attention to detail were critical. She was entirely focused in her task and wanted the nest to be perfect.

Last edited:
Today clearly was a unique day, he lost control after a 2000 year break, he had lost his pride in front of the new pack, and when he thought he will be rejected he was accepted. Aireas stood up and slightly bowed to Azrael, and then marked his stamp as accepted. Azrael stood there dumbfounded, but a smile creeped up his face, he had a home now!! Aireas then talked about a test which will begin tomorrow, but at the moment he was not worried about whatever that will be. Aireas then said that Azrael had to hunt today.

He smelled the coming rain which was a problem, even brute fen'zi's smell are masked if a rain was hard enough, and that was a hard deed. But inside he jumped in joy, "finally something that he could do exceptional in". He looked at Deirdre who was sitting on the floor, catching her breath after healing him. After Aireas and Rya left, he turned to Deirdre, " so your name is Deirdre ? Fun fact that means touch of God in ancient Wyvernian. You are tired and I can see that I'm the reason, I will go ahead and try to find some brutes, you catch up to me when you are ready.

With this he blasted of into the sky toward his last hunt site, just over the cliff where his cave was. But first he needed to mask his scent, he went to the border of the marshlands, and jumped into the muddy swamp to coat his scales with mud so he wont be smelled. When he got out, he tuned into his hunting instincts. He smelled the air to see if there are any Fen'zis around then he lifted of once again. After about 2 minutes, he spotted a herd of Armored Fen'zis, "well they are not brute, but they should be enough" he thought. To any dragon Armors are the hard prey, some dragons have even fallen prey to armors. But Azrael had a secret.

Armored Fen'zis armored hide was one of the best in the world, even lightning beams from a dragon wouldn't be able to penetrate its hide. But their armor had an exploitation point. Fire made their hide brittle and susceptible to critical damage, but only by electricity to the best of his knowledge.

So first he went straight up into the sky and came up directly on top of them to be unseen. Armored Fen'zis have binocular vision, which meant they had exemplary depth perception, but their thick necks meant that they could not look straight up. So he descended as slowly and quietly as possible, his wings using all of their stealth capabilities to maximize his chances. When he reached about 40 feet over them, he unleashed his desired element, out of his blast organ came obsidian flame, which fell upon his chosen 2 Fen'zis, aiming it directly where their spinal cord meet their skull. After about 3 seconds the prey started running, his ambush worked.

His eyes locked on to the 2 targeted Fen'zis as he started herding them away from the rest of the herd, using his vocals to guide them. When they were separate enough, he concentrated his mind into a combat state, and using techniques which his masters thought he switched his blast elements. He swooped down onto his first target and took a deep breath, then he let go, and out of his blast organ came a white hot beam of electricity which pierced straight through the brutes armor and into its spinal cord and out of its mouth. He didn't stop to see the Fen'zi, because he still had another one to kill, he went into full scout mode as he went into the tree line but before long rain started to pour as hard as ever, and it was impossible to find the second one in the swamp at this time, this also meant that their hide has regained its impermiability. Azrael hoped that Deirdre would probably come across it, he had not tried it before but ice could most possibly have the same effect to their hide after a hit of fire.

He went back to the downed Armor as it lay paralyzed, Azrael liked hitting the Fen'zis in their spinal cord because it seemed to cut their nerves of feeling pain, and he didn't want his prey to suffer because he had to eat. He landed, softly beside the Fen'zi and laid his front right claw on its head. Shutting his eyes he prayed that his prey shall safely find its way into afterlife. After giving thanks, he shot his second blast of electricity, this time straight to the middle of his forehead, killing it swiftly. Armors were heavy animals and Azrael had to strain innorder to get the carcass airborne, passing out earlier hadn't helped the situation either, but because of Zendyr, and Deirdre's healing he took of with the Fen'zi. He had to return to the Drer before the sun went down, but before that he searched for Deirdre, he didn't see here when he flew but the rain was hard and it impaired vision, he headed to the direction of the cliffs keeping a watching eye for the little dragon.

Last edited: