Fly With Me - A Story of Survival ((IC))

Zendyr let a rush of air escape between his fangs as he supported Deirdre who leaned against him, immense worry for Azrael lacing her voice. The slight trembles caused the golden dragon to purr in comfort as he trained his attention on the general direction of the ongoing fights. Earth cracked, scales splintered, and the winds howled in their union of fury as the battle raged between abandonment and belongingness, between a life of isolated and a life spent in the hearth of a dragonflight. If what Lith said was true, then, this was a literal battle of life and death. Cast to the darkness alone, no one would ever survive the darkness that his sapphire storm heralded. He knew that Deirdre understood these stakes, and as the crackling tempest of lightning bolts filled the air, even Zendyr could not hide his worry. However, he needed to be strong.

For Deirdre. For Azrael. For Lith.

"Storm and shadow will soar with our flight today, Deirdre," Zendyr replied, steeling his voice as an anchor for both of their sanities. "They are strong. Their scales will be bloodied, their fangs cracked but, I promise you, when the tempest quiets, they will be unbowed and unbroken."

As the fight raged, Zendyr noticed his fellow toxin dragon acknowledge him and the golden healer returned his greeting in kind. Zendyr wasn't too sure how Valos felt about him as a packmate but anyone would be a fool to think that the spined dragon did not care for the flight. Thorny personality aside, Valos silently protected their flight in his own ways. And, Zendyr had taken notice of these with just his hearing alone. Even now, as the distinct flapping of his wings serenaded the area around them, Zendyr lifted his head to turn in Valos' general direction before his friend (he wasn't entirely sure if Valos felt the same) could fully take flight.

"Valos," Zendyr called out with a fanged grin. "Thank you for always watching our backs. I would have offered to take the watch but I suppose I would be too good at it. I know it sounds weird but I appreciate you and your efforts." The blind dragon said with a chipper tone in his voice. "Oh, and I'm not old! I do not become an ancient for another few thousand years, you know!" Zendyr playfully berated his comrade-in-arms before he turned his head in the direction of the other flight members who had joined in on the sacred rite of passage for their flight.

He could recognize Malok's voice as well as another familiar yet strangely unique cheery tone of a younger dragon. And, if Valos was here, it definitely wasn't a surprise that Mara would also be present. With each distinct wingbeat that signaled a unique member, Zendyr felt his heart swell with joy at the growth of their flight. It was definitely a good omen even though the darkness loomed upon them like an avalanche just waiting to cascade.

"Malok, my friend," Zendyr called out to the nearby wyvern. "I believe it has been a while since we have witnessed Arieas' fighting prowess. I reckon he still has that snarl and uncanny preference for a preemptive strike at the neck. Classic but efficient. I still remember when he nearly beat me to a bloody pulp, scales and all. Wasn't a pleasant sight for you, I suppose, seeing me getting pounded into the ground."

The barbed end of Marahuté's tail twitched nervously as she settled herself off to the side to watch as the last trial began. She winced as Arieas and Azrael squared off and began their violent duel. A soft worried croone rose from her throat as first blood was made, but the younger male seemed to hold his own against the Sa'Zur, showing no intention of retreating. That was good. Hopefully Azrael's strength would last.

Marahuté's gaze shifted from the males to Rya and Syril'th as they began their battle. She hummed a soft tone of encouragement to her adopted mother as well as the other female. Someone nudging her brought Marahuté's attention away from the trial and she looked to see Aise beside her.

"Oh, hi Aise," she replied. She cast a glance towards Valos before continuing. "He's okay. Grumpy as usual."

Aise lifted her head up over her sister's back to look at her 'tutor', but knew in the back of her mind she wouldn't see him as her teacher until she earned her respect. Respect is a huge thing. She tilted her head to the side to contemplate his question, her eyes darting towards the fights happening. "Spines?...OH! Do you mean my spikes? To be honest..." She paused and tensed her back muscles, making the spikes stand on end, their sharp edges glittering like the steel of the old world. Pretty, but deadly if needed. She relaxed, the spikes clicking softly together, and tilted her head to the side.

"They're weapons...I think? My Egg Parents were Water dragons, so they naturally abandoned me. Being able to defend myself was pretty easy with my spikes."
Her tone was light and cheerful, despite the sadness the words carried. She closed her eyes and tilted her head up. "An old Ice dragon found me many moons ago, and taught me a bit about our element. From what I remember, he said 'The spikes are used as a defense mechanism. Their edges are sharper then your claws at times, and can be released and shot at enemies if needed. Don't just go shooting them willy-nilly though, for they take a long time to grow back. They're a part of your body and the more spikes you have, the more dangerous you are.'" Aise's voice took on a odd lilt, her voice becoming the old dragon's before becoming her own again. She opened her eyes and looked at the wyvern over her sisters back, amusment dancing in her eyes as she watched him look between her and Azrael.

"Watch him fight. It's not everyday a new dragon comes into the flight. Especially one you seem to know. Plus if he joins, then I have someone new to play with!" She laughed and grinned at Malok, her eyes closing for a second before opening again and turning her head back to the fights happening. The young Ice dragon's watchful gaze hadn't missed the two males talking like they knew each other long before now. She nodded towards the fights happening and settled onto her stomach, stretching her front legs out in front of her and folding her back ones under her. Aise yawned, putting up a bored facade. Her head turned at Melty moving off to a different perch, but ignored it and glanced at her sister, smirking at her answer. "When isn't he grumpy? Melty's gonna be Melty." She said and stood up, trotting into the shadows to cool herself off.

Malok was intrigued by the spikes lining Aise, he examined over them as she spoke looking up to witness any events of the fight. Once the ice dragon had finished explaining the purpose them he gave more intent to the battle in a subtle agreement to her suggestion. The sound and pull in the air gave a small grin to his lips, "I agree Zendyr," he flared out his frill to expose the scarred tissue hidden underneath "But you weren't the only one who had felt the sharp fang of that dragon." He watched on took note of Azreal's use of his opponents larger bulk, and became more watchful as he used he head of the Sa'Zur to unbalance him The boy remembered, he must remember that to blend the style of a dragon and a wyvern would be the best course as Ariéas knows each as an individual. The wyvern almost stirred as he watched intently

Malok bellowed out softly to stir the fight more "Az-re-al Az-re-al Az-re-al" followed with another roar

Arieas patrolled around the initiate he fought. Blood was evident all over his body. From minor wounds and several good strikes he had gotten when he left an opening. The pair had started off at a fast and bloody battle. And at this rate he hoped it wouldn't slow down. They clashed over and over and each time Aireas felt his blood spike with the closest thing he knew to a drug. Combat made his spirit rise higher and higher. He loved the battle, especially those worthy to fight. He had his doubts of Azreal when he arrived. But fighting him made the Ka'Zur grow respect. They backed away from a bloody scrap giving Arieas a second to inspect his wounds. More than he could say he has had in a while. Yet no anger grew from witnessing his blood trickle down his scales. In fact he grinned looking at his opponent. His jaws chattered as if the muscles were begging to close the jaws around something. But pausing he planned his new strategy. Once sure of his plan he charged the Ka'Zur used his tail to smack Azreal's head to the side giving him a brief moment to start a very risky attack. As his head was pushed to the side keeping motion with his turn Aireas opened his maw and it connected with the throat of the initiate. Though he only wanted to give the feeling of life or death he quickly changed his bite location. Biting his horns on the left side he effectively controlled his head. But his goal was more than just control.

Clawing at the initiate he slammed his head into the ground even dragging his head through the dirt. Though in gentler flights this may seem as over the required. Both he and Rya fight to test themselves just as much as the initiates. Placing a clawed paw on Azreal's head the alpha heating his teeth until the horns grew weaker then with one fluid motion snapped them just up from the base. Tossing the horns away he moved away from his target. Roaring loudly in a challenging tone. His teeth having an orange glow as fire shot from his maw in small bursts.

Rya loved these games. Displays and roaring. It was a fun thing indeed. But she knew this dragoness to be a skilled user of magic. Her display at immobilizing her and Aireas even momentarily was a testament to that. Bringing her magic to bare "Let us begin" Opening her maw Rya unleashed a bolt of lighting at Syr'lith. However before it reached the initiate it broke like waves upon a rock splitting into nearly a dozen different smaller bolts. They returned to Rya continuing this process until there was near fifty all smaller than the last split but many more than before. Rya then made them surround her target and all rushed towards her sizzling on contact. The rapid thudding announcing a successful hit and a small cloud of dirt on a miss. Before she was to make her attack again she snarled as they were interrupted. Two rolling and battling males got in the way and she snarled loudly. Her mate got the clue a bit to late "You interrupt my battle. Out of my WAY!" as using sheer magic she flung the two battling dragons away tumbling to the dirt away from her an lith.

She glanced over the crowed of individuals looking over the faces then to see who is watching over this time. She made eye contact with Valos for but a second making sure then returned. Looking at Lith she gave a slight bow
"Males being so obnoxious. Please let us continue. Now lith. I want you to use all the magic you can. If you hold back i will punish you for it" More electrical power than before. The power of two thunder storms being brought to bare. And this time nobody would stop her. This time........it was going to be very fun.

--

Deidre watched and even though she knew the fights were to be difficult this was something else. She had never seen Aireas so riled up before. Or at the very least to into the fight. Enjoying it for sure but every time he roared she moved closer to Zandyr for comfort. Every injury she saw on Azreal she winced or wished to rush towards him and heal him. She knew her concern and emotions could be felt by the other healer but this time she was so focused on her Heartlight. Hoping he will be okay. Hoping beyond hope he will do his best.

Azrael's eyes widened in surprise as his horn was ripped off of his head, blood began to flow down his face, and along with it anger started to bubble in him, better yet anger started to explode in him, Airease retreated, tossing the horn aside, as Azrael lunged at him. He slashed at Airease, ripping open three lines on Airese's face. Azrael began to vibrate with electricity, his anger amplifying his powers. Before Airease could recover from the stun Azrael bashed into him, electrocuting him in the process. He followed by biting down on Airease's front left leg, his long fangs digging deep into Airease's fore paw, slicing through his muscles. His mouth began to cool, dropping in temperature as ice won over the electricity and fire in him, he breathed out, freezing Airease's paw. Still keeping his grip on Airease's paw, with his new strength Azrael yanked Airease's bigger bulk, tossing him to a side, Airease landed with a thud and sliding to a stop, he quickly got up, but Azrael smiled as Airease struggled to balance his front left paw that was numb from reduced blood flow due to the freezing bite. He flashed his fangs dripping with blood, which now was Airease's, " you see this is the type of blood I like".

Azrael, began to side step, circling around Airease. Catching his breath and also trying to tame his anger. "Anger is power, but it is also loss of control for you, you should always be the one in control Az, not you're anger", his grand master's voice resonated in his mind.
"I'm in control, pheeewwwww, I'm in control". As he tried to calm down, Airease lunged at him having thawed his paw. He rammed into Azrael using his greater bulk to knock the Vak off his feet. Azrael now started to feel like he was loosing strength, his little show although doing considerable damage had also weakened himself. Azrael quickly jumped into his feet, dodging Airease's hook, and took some steps back. His black scales reflected the sunlight like obsidian.

The Vak brought his wings up, and brought them down with such force that it blasted his off the ground, he shot straight up into the sky, just out of viewing distance and did a quick and curved backflip diving back down, straight down. Azrael built blinding speed as he neared the ground, he could see Airease, eyeing him with preparedness. Azrael straightened his wings slowly, arcing his dive. His smaller frame meant he could not beat Airease in a head to head clash but Azrael's speed evened that odd. Azrael headed straight towards Airease, dust flying as he flew low. Airease dodged the impact itself, but Azrael got ahold of his horn, pulling it with the force of his speed, tossing himself and his opponent off balance. Azrael jumped back to his feet just as Airease stood up, carefully placing his front paw. Azrael could see the pain, in Airease's eyes, just as he knew the alpha could see it through his.

Azrael suddenly felt his scales beginning to flash from black to red, to a light shade of green, changing between these colors quickly. As Airease got back up, he looked at Azrael confused by this show, but as quickly as he began to do it, the show ended, and his scales returned to its generic silvery white and blue. Airease shot a plume of flame straight at him, and it hit him, straight at his head, although his horns blocked most of the blast from hitting his back, his face took a menacing scorch, and without his black scales he was more vulnerable to the element.

Azrael, let out a yelp as the blast hit him. His energy had now started to deplete. Azrael was an assasin, he was used to killing his target within a small amount of time, and this fight proved to be anything but short. They went at it again, over and over. Hitting, clawing, biting, as hours passed. The gentle touch of the morning sun changed to a harsher impact as afternoon assumed power. The alpha, and the Vak had lost a lot of blood by now, adrenaline kicking in to keep them up. Azrael, eyed the alpha,
" this fight has been going on for quite some time now, heh. I do have to say, you are one worthy opponent, so let us find an end to this fight, shall we ?". They ran at eachother again, whatever may happen, it was not going to be a pretty scene.

The afternoon sun began to burn down upon the trial grounds, bringing writhing waves of heat from the exposed metal of the Drer and from the baked earth. Valos remained motionless in his silent vigil of the battle. He observed every movement. Every tactic, technique, positioning, every detail being consumed as rabidly as fen'zi meat. Airease was proving his dominance, as usual. Azrael had talent, that was obvious, yet as the fight drew on the Vak began to tire swiftly.
He's gassing, Valos remarked as he growled quietly. And it was true to behold. His control was waning; The colorful scale display seemed to be evidence supporting this thought. Whether it was from fatigue, aggression, or a mix of both was yet to be completely seen, but it was a detail to note nonetheless.
A volatile flightmate incapable of controlling themselves is a risk, the pale thorn deduced as he continued to absorb the spectacle. Patient as ever. Waiting.

Waiting for just the right moment.

One slip of the foot.

One off timed strike.

Tunnel vision.

Complete lack of spacial awareness in favor of direct attention to one opponent. Leaving himself wide open.

Valos' pupils dilated as he postured up on his perch.

"Time to play."

Silent as the night the pale thorn leapt from the overlook, tucking his limbs to streamline his body, only to just open his wings in time to land in a sprint as he closed the distance to Azrael. No warning; No roar or growl in approach. The Vak wouldn't know what hit him until it was too late. But, then again, he left himself open to this.

The first strike landed on Azrael's right hind leg. Valos' scythe-like claws made short work of cutting scale, flesh, and tendon. He felt the chalky grate of claw sliding over bone as he drug his talons from the back of the leg, around, and forward into a sharp sidestepping turn. Valos was now coming directly towards Azrael's side. He ducked, passing under the Vak and swept the now wounded, crippled leg with his tail, digging his thorns into Azrael's flesh as the Vak toppled.

Another swift turn and Valos pushed off with his hind legs, wrapping his front limbs around Azrael to roll them both over. Slithering like a giant serpent, Valos wove between flailing limbs and positioned himself to pin Azrael down; One clawed limb against the Vak's throat, the other at the joint of his left wing.
Even now Valos remained silent as he dug his claws into the wing joint and twisted, wrench the limb out of socket with a sickening crunch. The pale thorn growled, his voice flanged with blood lust and black amusement as he launched himself off of Azrael's body, landing the opposite of Airease. Only now did his thorns rattle in mocking excitement at the smell of blood and heart pumping joy of battle.
Oh, this will end soon Azrael. I'll make sure of that.

The ongoing duels raged on with Azrael and Arieas breaking scale and bone in an attempt to subdue the other. The sudden onslaught of the thrumming of electricity and the biting cold of frost alerted the golden healer that this flight initiate possessed the rare gift of having multiple magical abilities. It was a rare talent found in dragons, and the ones that possessed them were easily recruited into stronger flights in a desire to keep their pack strong. For one of these rare specimens to come gliding toward their group was a blessing in of itself. Still, what Azrael demonstrated in talent as he managed to stave off their liege's assault was challenged with the amount of stamina he lacked. Already, he could hear the heightened breathing, the frantic beating of a heart pushed beyond its common limitations.

It was now or never. Zendyr reckoned that the vak had to end it quickly. In a battle of attrition, Arieas was sure to win. Their liege's experience and training far surpassed that of the multielement dragon's, and if he could not end it in one fell swoop, his wings would decorate the line of those who failed the last test.

However, a sudden smell pervaded the arena as the fresh scent of blood filled Zendyr's nostrils. The vak's blood stained the familiar stench of his fellow toxin dragon's spines, and in a fit of panic, Zendyr rose with wild abandon. His golden wings unfurled to their full size, blinded eyes gleaming in the sunlight as alarm forced its way through his features. White mists flooded his body as his hindlegs tensed in preparation to leap into Azrael's aid.

"Why do I smell Valos in there?!" Zendyr gritted his fangs, his crests twitching in agitation. "Only the alphas are supposed to fight the initiates!" He turned in the direction of his other flightmates, wanting to hear their reactions to this strange turn of events.

It all happened at once. Lady Rya began her onslaught of magic by releasing currents of electricity towards Syril'th. She braced herself as she watched the bolts split off into infinite branches around her, returning back to their caster, only to be sent out in a wave again and strike anything in their path, including Syril'th. Usually, electricity would charger her own power, but this was different. Lady Rya's magic burned. She felt every muscle twitch and tense with this new sensation of pain. But she was determined. Holding steady, Syril'th grounded her claws into the Earth knuckle deep. The dirt absorbed some of the incoming electricity, but not all. She grunted as she withstood every bolt, her claw tips sizzling underneath the ground, blackening, perhaps permanently. Smoke started to leech from under her.

In the corner of her eye, she noticed the two fighting males entering their battle space. Heading right for her opponent, Syril'th saw an opportunity. Raising her wings, she timed the interruption just right. Lady Rya began to recover from the scuffle, and turned to Syril'th to speak. But her words we not heard. Syril'th took to the sky in the blink of an eye. She didn't travel far, just enough to hover over her opponent with her mighty sapphire wings.

"I do not mean to offend you with my comment Lady Rya, but you speak too much for my type of fighting." A smirk slid across Syril'th's face like a snake who had stolen eggs from under a bird's eye. With a sharp inhale, she charged her power, her chest glowing bright blue, and released electricity so hot it melted the soil around her opponent, trapping her in a cage of glass as it rapidly cooled. With a quick dive, she sped towards the ground and landed with a thunder clap.

Glass shattered and flew into Rya's face. Before she could recover, Syril'th pounced, her paws and feet blackened all the way to the first joints as if she had dipped them in darkness, and struck her opponent's back legs letting Rya's weight be her enemy. From there, she swung her tail behind her striking Rya's back just above her hip. Sweet blood scent filled her nostrils making her pupils dilate from slits to large black holes. Before Syril'th could strike again, her opponent swung her head back, connecting with her jaw, knocking her off her momentum and ripping her from her blood daze. Sharp pain ran up her face and into her left eye. She could see red magic flowing behind Rya's eyelids, a smile appearing on her own face. It was intimidating, but it made Syril'th angry. She did not fight her way through life over the past centuries to be mocked by someone who could see her with closed eyes. Growling in defiance, she waited for her to respond. She kept her defense active by flowing an aura of electricity around her body. A shield of lightning. If only Zendyr could see the sparkling terror she was at the moment.

Syril'th waited for Rya's retaliation. She could not stun this dragon as she did the first day she arrived either. Rya would most likely be expecting that display again. She had something up her scales she would have to save for the very end if it came to it.

Marahuté continued to watch anxiously as the battles went on, her attention shifting back and forth between the males and the females. As much as she hated this part of the trials, she found herself growing more optimistic as time went on. Both Azrael and Syril'th seemed to holding their own quite well and both proving to be skilled fighters. Marahuté smiled as she hummed her approval. Perhaps she had been worrying over nothing.

Suddenly, a pale streak of movement leapt into the battlefield and before Marahuté knew what was happening, Valos had lunged himself at Azrael.

"Valos!" Marahuté shouted in a mixture of surprise and confusion. Zendyr shifted beside her in growing agitation. She had no reply for the Omega's question as she didn't really understand it herself.

"Damnit, Valos," she grumbled. "I thought we talked about this. This isn't your fight!"

Last edited:
Aise's head shot up as she noticed a new presence in the arena. Shaking her head, she rolled off her back and dropped out of the tree she had clawed her way up. Bracing her spikes, she almost launched herself at Valos, but stopped and circled around to Zendyr, touching his wing briefly. "Calm down, Goldie. I gots him." She grinned and crouched down beside Zendyr, her eyes even more alert then before, and her entire body tensed in anticipation of jumping in and tearing Melty out of the fight.

Spotting a slight opening, she whipped her tail over her back and shot out three spikes, catching him in the wings, and one in his back, one narrowly missing Arieas, but she was already jumping forward and latching her jaws around Melty's neck, tearing him off the Birdy, rolling and tucking her body around him, effictivly dragging him out of the fight. He struggled under her, but she pressed her entire body weight into him, slamming one of her front legs onto his maw, keeping it shut and pressed to the ground, growling as he clawed her stomach.

"Stop fighting you idiot! These fights are for Alpha's only! NO outside interference from the flight. Interfere again, and I will freeze your wings together and leave you to unable to fly. Don't. Interfere." She shot out her wings and looked over her shoulder at her father. "SORRY DAD! I GOT HIM, SO HAVE FUN WITH THE FIGHT!!! WANT ME TO MAKE IT SO HE CAN'T FLY? OR MOVE, I CAN DO THAT TOO." Aise shouted, growling again as Melty tore the scales on her stomach with his scratching. She whipped her head around and hissed out a thick stream of ice, freezing his head to the ground, but leaving his nose and eyes alone so he could see and breathe still.

"Freaking idiot. I told you to stop. And that hurt." Her eyes hardened and all traces of her normal cheerfulness was gone, replaced with cold fury and pain. "That really freaking hurt. I'm going to make you pay for that once this is over. And don't go melty on my scales." Her claws pressed into his neck, drawing blood and making it run down his scales, staining them. She drew her claws back slightly, but kept her body weight on Melty to keep him down. She coughed and a large ice chunk came out of her throat, dropping on Melty's head. She winced and brushed it off. She didn't say sorry, cause he had already hurt her.

"Dang it Melty. Now I have to regrow my spikes. My poooor spikiesss-" She groaned, plopping her head on top of Melty's frozen one, turning back to the fights happening, and totally ignoring his personal space.

Last edited:
Malok's wings unfurled at the suddenness of attacks on the Azreal, "Valos, Aise, ENOUGH." The large wyvern quickly galloped using his wings as secondary limbs, til he reached the end of the arena. He lifted his head high and looked down glaring at the younger dragon, "You've gotten stronger visibly, however I will put you in your place again boy" the male kept to the edge and turned to Aise "He's twice your size and at least twice your age, out"

Arieas approached and watched as his flight went into action. He found himself amused at their quick action and his daughter Aise's response. Always good spirit or willing to help in any way "No young one please release him. It was planned from the beginning" He said letting his voice calm the flight even as Rya and Lith battle could be heard "Though i appreciate your assistance i would prefer he be released and blame be placed on me and Rya. Though this trial to test Azreal, and is traditionally only Zur and initiate Valos himself needs training. And to learn restraint. This was to see if he could restrain his magic and venom but inflict desired wounds. He meant no lethal intent. And did well" He said looking at the pinned male dragon. Looking to his challenger Aireas smiled "Apologies for the deception Azreal. As the physically stronger of the initiates you were the best candidate. But also Valos was teaching you a lesson as well. Before you trust completely trust must be earned. If you had attempted to enter a few other flights they may have killed you for being so friendly. Thinking it a deception. Trust in battle is something i earn trust through. And you are earning mine. I hope you still have the energy for one last bout. Show me Azreal....show me everything you have. And as an honorable token of thanks i will stay on the ground. As your wing limits your flight" The Zur moved along the ground as the initiate returned to his feet. This was going to be a battle he remembered for some time. He could feel it in his bones.

The Sa'Zur was in an impressive daze of battle lust and respect of the initiate she faced. Though normally battle was for her mate she could not hide the fact she loved the thrill. The rush of battle filled her veins with fire and magic. She did not need to see Syril'ith to know she summoned large amounts of magic to protect her. But in a way she was giving Rya what she needed. Though talking in a fight was not in her Initiates normal fighting style Rya knew better than to use her energy when she could simply use an enemies against them. Rya focused a small orb in front of her. It took visibly more effort than she would have liked to give off but the small orb was nearly invisible to the eye floated a few feet in front of her. The orb was no bigger than a claw on her paw and held a similar texture to a bubble. Except a tint of red and the waves of magic coming from the two poles of the sphere collided in the middle. Once colliding they returned to the pole on either side then repeating the dance of waves again and again. But as beautiful as it could be the main use was far more deadly. Breathing in Rya forced all magical presence int he orb to leave. And like a black hole it absorbed magic in the individual she desire. In this case, one who was shrouded in it. It didn't occur all at once. A strand of lighting here connected to the orb then dissipated. Two more a second later. But like a greedy beast it began to devour the energy that was on the target. Soon all that remained was a few arcs of lightning while inside was an unbalanced storm. Rya opened her eyes surveying her work "Power is good initiate. Power in one's self is better. But knowing when to use yours and using your enemies is something i will have to teach you" She then commanded the orb without words and the side facing Syril'ith opened. All that energy and some Rya added as it vacated the confining space raced to their target. She had to work and keep the energy focused on her target otherwise it would strike out randomly. Creating a possibly problematic situation. As magic met scales their was a thunder clap as if a storm had been born then was unmade in the seconds of silence and large dust cloud. Rya stood waiting. Hoping in the very least she was still standing.

Last edited:
Azrael stood up, putting low pressure on his hind leg which were rather torn apart in the sudden ambush. At first anger bubbled in him, he wanted to tear each talons off Valos' feet, and shove it down his throat, but after seeing what little Aise did to him, and what the Ka'zur had to say, he thought not, he turned to Valos " That was a good one, acid dragon. I see youre not as bad as i thought you are". He turned to the alpha again. His vision started to blur as the Ka'zur started talking. " You know Airease, I think Rya's magic golems did something to me, I'm loosing too much energy, and i am having to rely heavily in places where i don't want to rely on just yet." Just as he finished speaking his scales started to shift, just as it had done before, fluctuating between black, green, orange, and gold. He began to feel less pain as a small tornado started around him, he was startled as he was not casting the magic. Azrael felt the harsh afternoon heat cool down around him, as he felt his legs, he discovered he could move it again. Azrael felt a surge of confidence rush into him as the tornado quickly dissipated, and Azrael's scales were not white anymore, and it was not black either, instead his scales transformed into a dark shade of blue with semi glowing purple streaks where his usual blue was. A small smile crept up to his face again as he felt more powerful than ever. " Surely Airease, I have a feeling that I won't forget this fight anytime soon either." Azrael wasted no time and pounced, but the alpha had anticipated his move and dodged the attack, but the he had other ideas, he slammed his claws into the ground, sending out a shock wave and stunning his opponent. He went straight at Airease, slashing his face, and quickly maneuvering his maw onto the back of Airease's neck. Azrael locked his jaws, aggressively shaking his head to deny Airease proper footing, he began to channel Ice in his mouth, breathing it out, slowing the alpha's blood flow to his brain, and hindering his neural signals. Being a dragon of Airease's power, he could easily survive hours brain frozen, and him being a fire dragon made it especially hard to push him into unconsciousness, but slowly Airease's body started to go limp, his struggle loosening. Azrael unfurled his wings, yanking the much heavier alpha up into the air and slamming his down into the ground. He slowly warmed his maw, gently reigniting the frozen blood, and spun around tossing Airease to the side, the alpha landed with a thud and slid to a stop.

As the Alpha got up, Azrael started fanning his tail, kicking up the dust and blurring the Alpha's vision. The dust started to revolve faster around him, compacting itself into a think ball. Azrael planted his foot down and roared, exploding the dust, and send millions upon millions of small sand pellets flying everywhere. They began to circle again,
" Even if i loose this fight, you have taught me much Airease, and your mate has shown me parts even i didn't know I had. " With a roar, he lunged again, efficiently slipping past the alpha's grab, and catching his hind legs. Azrael tore through the muscles, feeling his claws scrapping against the alpha's bones. As he tried to topple the fire dragon he was hit with AIrease's tail, sending him off balance and right into a slash. The alpha dug his claws into Azrael's shoulder, the vak could see the sudden surprise as Airease yanked his claws out, yelping at the electrocution. They got down again, circling each other, and waiting for a sign. " It has been a bit since I had a worthy fight. I'm truly honored by your might and efficiency, and as a gesture of respect, I am going to stop woging. Let us fight fairly, without the intervention of abnormalities such as mine." The Vak stood up, closing his eyes and focusing on himself. It took way too much effort but he suddenly felt a flash of pain as all the injuries that happened to him today returned with vengeance. As he opened his eyes he saw his scales the silvery white and blue that was him. " Let us do this Airease, let us find and end to this trial." With that he let out a bloodcurdling roar, laced with pain, and the now resurfacing loss of stamina.

One by one, Syril'th noticed each bolt of electricity leave her body. She began to feel a pull at her magic. At first it felt as if a small thread was being tugged in her body, then a yank, and then a fight. Gravity seemed to be fixated at the point where Lady Rya stood. She looked up and noticed a faint red bubble where her electricity began to funnel. Her lips curled back, teeth exposed. Dangerous arcs of blue lightning fought to stay with it's master. Thunder echoed in the area as the bolts protested against the pull. Flashes of white light blinded the space around them as the females' powers collided.

"I thought you better than to steal another's magic, mighty alpha!" Syril'th retorted to Rya. She was quickly becoming angered with how powerless she felt.

"Power is good initiate. Power in one's self is better. But knowing when to use yours and using your enemies is something I will have to teach you"

Faster than she could blink, the bubble opened towards Syril'th and released its destruction. All she saw was white. She felt every current run through her veins. She let out a scream, blood-curdling, high pitched. A scream of pure pain. Her body felt as if a hundred dragons were burning her alive. Syril'th dropped to her elbows as she absorbed the electricity. Would her sapphire scales continue to be marred black by this magical assault? Blood dripped from her mouth as she bit down on her tongue. Unsure how much more she could take, she lowered her head so her horns could take the brunt of the impact, her muzzle in the dirt, blowing sand with each breath. They began to glow hot as more electricity ran through her. For a moment her vision went dark and she could see nothing. She heard hushed voices in her mind, although, she could not discern them. Her only thought was Zendyr. He brought the hope of a potential future. She held on to that beautiful thought. No other dragon mattered but him. Her mind began to question whether or not she would make it out of this and just when the sliver of doubt crept into her heart, Syril'th beat it back. She had to remember how far she came to warn this flight and how badly she needed them as mush as they needed her. The darkness still lingered in the night. Those twisted, corrupt shadows of dragons were still out there. They could be heading right to this pack, and they wouldn't even know. These dragons must be prepared for victory. But first, she must win this battle.

Dust billowed around her as the silence left by a drum of thunder hung in the arena. Syril'th felt weightless, almost as if she was suspended in water. Slowly, she flexed her hands, still grasping earth. Joint by joint she rose. Her wings hung limp like a moth emerging from its cocoon. She struggled to open her eyes. Blurs of a red figure swept into her gaze. To her left she saw a rainbow of scales fly to a mess of gold and silver. White, gold, blue, black, orange. Syril'th could not process what ensued off in the distance. Her body now felt overloaded. She was drunk with electricity, her posture staggered and clumsy. She swung her head slowly back to the red figure. Fury and magic rose to the surface, clearing her vision. Her pupils were no longer visible, completely engulfed in electric power. The tips of her spines and claws glowed that same blue. Even in the afternoon of day, her power was blinding and pulsing in rhythm with her heart. Panting, she felt a surge of emotion. She let out a roar so great it shook the teeth in her own skull. With her roar, she released the pent up lightning into the sky, and it spoke of revenge, anguish, and determination. The clouds sparkled with absorbed electricity, resembling the beginning of a storm, and a deadly one at that. Slowly, she lifted her head to that stoic figure. Her muzzle sensed a heart beat strong like hers. Lady Rya. Two more pulses were fast and heavy in close proximity. Syril'th's senses could not have been more clear. Pressing her back feet into the earth, she prepared herself for an attack. Syril'th felt her wings take on a life of their own. They rose in protest and quivered with anticipation. Her body was pure implulse, not thinking much at the moment but to strike. With a mighty push, she lunged at the other female. Rya lunged back. Claws dug into flesh, tails whipped, and blood was drawn. Syril'th dug her teeth into Rya's shoulder, crushing the joint under her wing. Electricty ran down with every bite, but her onslaught was returned. She felt her right flank being torn open, hide hanging in some places. Pain made her bite down harder. She wanted to kill. She wanted to bathe in the seeping life force of her opponent. But magic could only do so much. She wrapped her tail around Rya's waist, keeping them inseparable. With each bite she suffered, her tail constricted tighter. She would not let go if it meant she would live. More blood spilled around them, wetting the earth with warmth. Her mind raced as she thought to herself. Only one goal made her fight with such intensity. And she knew without a doubt he would fight the same for her.

Hold on.

Valos felt it stirring in his chest even as Airease explained the situation to the flight. It rolled there, boiled and burned underneath his ribs. He could feel his blast organ opening, could feel the warm fluid rising towards his mouth and diverting from it's usual course. Valos closed his eyes and airways as acid began to flow out of his nostrils to slid down over his frozen mouth. By the time Azrael and Airease were back at each other's throats the restraining ice holding him down had withered.

In a flash of movement Valos curled in upon himself, tearing his head free and trapping Aise in his grasp. He rolled over and pinned her beneath the entirety of his weight; One claw against her throat, two others pinning her lower body. Valos clenched his jaws before striking his muzzle against the ground, shattering what was left of the ice that muzzled him. Blood from his neck mingled with water, acid, and spit to drip from his teeth and nose as two pitch black eyes focused on the younger, smaller dragon pinned beneath him.
"You want your spikes back?", Valos growled as he twisted, contorted his body to pull the spikes from his back and wings before turning back to Aise with malicious intent written across his face.
"Fine. Take them."

Valos raised his claw and buried each spike in the dirt, each one mere inches away from Aise's head and neck. Valos growled as he dug the tips of his talons under the scales of Aise's throat and into the soft skin beneath. Blood welled up and flowed from around the scythe-like talons as putrid saliva dripped onto Aise's nose and face.
"You get this one warning, Aise. Blood for blood," he growled as he pulled his talons out of Aise's skin. "Next time, your life is mine."

With a final snort, blowing any excess blood, mucus, and water from his muzzle and into Aise's face, Valos walked off of the younger dragons body, skirted the continuing battles, and made his way back towards his perch. Instead of flying and risking a tear in his wing membrane Valos simply dug his claws into the stone and earth and climbed his way back up to the top. As he settled into a comfortable position he unfurled each wing to evaluate the injuries, taking time to lick at the wounds before spitting just enough acid into them to close them.

"Scale rot take them all," he growled before crossing his legs and laying his head down over them.​

Relief coursed through his body as his liege explained the surprise attack, mulling in sudden embarrassment that he had not been more... reflective. Still, he wished that Arieas would have been more transparent with them because as it stood, Azrael was at an unfair disadvantage. If he had wanted to train Valos, he could have assigned another one of the pack members to train with the toxin dragon. Heck, Zendyr would have gladly trained with his fellow poison-user. Zendyr rarely disagreed with his alphas but it was in these moments of rash decisions that he would always butt heads with them. Such... a lack of planning may have even caused a rift between the cheery dragon and Valos which could have been avoided if Arieas had just told them ahead. Zendyr supposed he had some apologizing to do to Valos as well. However, he kept his tongue behind his fangs as he settled back just in time to smell Lith's blood staining the air.

His head twitched in her direction like an animal does when sensing danger. And, it was dangerous. Though their interactions had been quite limited, there was no point in denying that Zendyr didn't feel some special spark between the two of them. Her calming presence had been more than enough to keep the coiling shadows away from his neck instead of those same choking feelings overwhelming the golden dragon as his past slammed against his mind again. She was a storm, bringing with it new life and a chance at survival. Her bravery had drawn him to her, and he refused the thought of being parted from a brave, wonderful sapphire storm as her.

He wanted to encourage both of their flight aspirants, his wings unfurling to their full width as he released a rallying roar to, at the very least, let Lith and Azrael know that he wanted them to stay and be a part of their family. He didn't know if his flightmates would join his rallying cry but it mattered little to the golden healer who had seen so much death already. If the coming darkness was real, neither Lith nor Azrael would survive on their own. There was no honor in leaving a dragon behind in these times when their kind is already so rare and so wounded by the senseless wars that erupted across the world.

The heralds of destruction have cried and the only answer that could have a chance at beating the doom of their time is to rage against the dying of the light together.

Aiseith yelped, and squirmed under Melty's grasp, gasping as his acid burned into her scales on her head. "Ouchie. Ouchie, ouchie, OW! LET GO OF ME!" She squirmed under him and once he 'gave' her spikes back, she flinched as he walked over her. "HEY! MELTY! Look! I'm sorry, okay? Just-ow." She hissed as she struggled up and after him. Her claws brushed her neck and she winced, her expression full of pain as she called after him.

"If Father had told us, this wouldn't have happened. Again, I'm sorry. Giving my spikes back doesn't work like that. They have to grow back after time, and it hurts. I'll be back later after my scales stop hurting, and bring you some prey or whatever. Byee!" She yelled at him, and snapped out her wings, beating them hard to get away from there, and to the lake.

As she flew, she kept her claws wrapped around her throat to stop the bleeding. Her eyes darted behind her, and made sure no one followed her. If anyone did, she darted around a tree and went around a different way. Once at the lake, she dove in and twisted in the cool water, getting all the blood and mucus off of her body, biting at her scales to get everything off. Aise snorted out a cloud of bubbles and settled on the bottom of the lake, closing her eyes and letting the cool water surround her body. Being under the water for too long didn't matter to her, as her lungs were bigger then a usual dragons, but even so, the young ice dragon twisted her head up and stared at the surface of the water, and created a small funnel, creating a way for her to breath if she needed, and also making a way for others to detect her if they followed her. She muttered a curse under her breath, and sighed, drawing her wings over her head to block out the light and endured the pain radiating from her tail and throat.

Malok watched Valos intently as Airease spoke, the dragon would be wise not to dig himself a deeper grave than he has with the wyvern. His head held firmly raised up to meet him as he passed "Your tongue must learn humility as much as you do boy" He turned to see where Aise had went off to but she was long gone. Treacherous behavior was something that Malok was not fond of and to break rank in a trial of all things, Airease was mighty but seemingly cruel for this unsavory act. He needed to fine where Aise went and check on her to make sure she was okay, Azreal was back to how he remembered him in training undeterred by even the largest of short comings. Malok Moved over to Marahuté and stood tall still looking about "The young one, you seemed to have had a connection with her. Do you have any idea where she went? I worry" His head as high as his neck would allow without his wings sweeping out from under his body.

Azreal is used to beatings he was far from a runt when I took him under my wing, the strong headed thing could have fooled anyone into believing he was of a royal grade if they only seen his gusto. But Aiseith she seems confident to a fault. Airease you self titled litt..... Why me? How am I to train a creature who doesn't realize their own strength. She did hold off the creature with a well placed shot but she wasn't ready for that large of an opponent. I wasn't fast enough.... Damn. He turned to Marahute and urged on "I must know, Mara anything will help"

Arieas only found pride in himself and his initiate as their battle raged. Blood coated the field chosen for this battle. But not nearly enough to cause serious concern with healers close by. But the Ka'Zur found himself fighting with an ever more present ferocity than he had intended. Yes these tests were meant to see if he was fit to lead. But he had underestimated his initiate in some respects. He had dodged and returned several strikes when he slowed his breathing. Focusing on the fight he had been happy to continue if it weren't for a tingle in his mind. He pushed it away and ran forward tackling his opponent. The thrill of battle being an ever alluring pull to him.

As both Zurs and initiates battled the group still kept their places and Deidre had become relaxed more. Still on her claws in case Azreal called for her but now knowing that Arieas believed in him that much. To test him further than normal showed promise indeed. However the healer paused as there was a loud THUD echoing across the field. Almost like a still image only one stopped. Only one felt what had transpired.

Rya stood stock still and though Syrl'ith went in for an attack she forced the initiate away with power she normally wouldn't have used. She snarled in anger and looked behind here. THUD THUD. She hissed as the trees swayed under her spell traps small shock waves. She looked at the trees and opened her wings gaining a few meters above the trees. She watched, listened, and felt everything she could. As if answering her mind's questions a small light glinted from within the trees. And before she fell into unconsciousness she felt burning heat, and the sickening laughter she wished she could not hear.

Arieas was tackling Azreal when he felt his mate jolt with alarm. But what stopped him dead in his tracks was the explosive clap as Rya was blown out of the skies. He watched with absolute horror as her body fell to the ground with smoke trailing from the charred scales "Rya!" He abandoned his trial and ran to her. Her body itself was whole but her scales along the left side of her chest were charred black. He could barely hear her breathing. Standing over her he roared his orders taking command "Flight heed me! my new flight sister and brother go to the healers now! Malok get Aise and secure here. Go Now!" he then looked to the remaining members of his flight "Valos, Mara hold up defenses till they are healed enough to fly" Arieas was dragging his love with one clawed paw back as the trees shook as the rest of Rya's traps went off. Having tested one himself it was beyond painful. Having such force come down on you.

He snarled as a figure matching the general size of a young dragon strode out. It being a cruel decaying cacophony of what a dragon was. The frame of the beast was similar to him as well. Four legs and two wings made up the limbs. But that was where the similarities ended. The face of the creature that had once been a dragon was decaying and nearly all to the bone else for some sinew and rotten flesh hanging onto the lower jaw and nose ridge. He heard it wheeze as it drew breath and gave a sickening gurgle like hiss he could only hold a shudder back. Two more figures approached from the trees one in a similar state. Except this one's torso was cleaved open not functioning and even barely working organs moved and bulged like a hideous mockery of the once graceful creature it had once been. A black liquid seemed to be oozing out of unsealing wounds making a putrid trail of entrails and the black liquid. It took everything he had to force himself to remain assertive and not gag or even turn away from the abominations.

Jaws twitched shut as muscles that weren't fully decayed tried to remember how to work. A tongue on one of them having fallen through the softened and decayed throat muscles and skin making it hand limply through his bottom jaw. As he looked he only spotted more horrors. More freakish things that made them wretched to look at.

The middle one between the hideous horrors was different to them. He was clean black scales. However unlike his fowl compatriots his eyes were a magic fueled green while theirs were a black void. Standing tall he smiled slowly as he stepped closer. Every movement from him seemed slower than any normal dragon. It was.......calculated. His voice met the level of disturbing his body did not as the cacophony of growling and hacking made up most of his speech "Prey......oh such prey. She was a beacon in the foodless void" His voice was unfeeling. Emotion blank from his face "I hunger for the blood of the red crown. Give me my prey. And you will have a head start" Arieas snarled and looked back at the healers. He knew Zandyr could not see him but the others could. His eyes saying everything needed if his words were not enough "Quickly" Ariease then stood in front of Rya's limp form having pulled her closer to the healers he needed to by time if possible. If they had any left.