Flaws

L

LogicfromLogic

Original poster
We live in a society where our flaws are made to be these horrible things, many times we feel bad because we have these. We are raised to believe that all we ever will be are our great qualities, but there's a quote that I'd love to bring to the light here:
There can be no stars without the darkness.​

Think about that quote for a minute; if we take the darkness away from the stars, their brightness would drown each other out, and thus it might be too much for our eyes to take. So why is it that our good qualities are looked at with such awe and our bad traits are scorned? To me, I adore my flaws because I have come to realize that they help make me just as much as my good traits.

If there's a trait that you cannot live with, try to do better by yourself. You have the ability to do so, though in many cases it might be hard. But it isn't impossible. Mistakes are made by creatures everywhere, just a couple days ago the cat that I am house sitting made the poor choice of taking a running leap into the cat door and got himself stuck. Everyone makes mistakes, don't beat yourself up for every single one that you've made, forgive yourself and move on. Do better. Don't just say sorry, act it by doing your best.

Game-of-the-Thrones8.jpg

That. Read that and remember it, because you should cherish your flaws as much as your qualities, you can't have one without the other and trying to pull out every flaw will result in a tireless quest for perfection you will never reach. Stop the war you have with yourself and accept yourself, in fact use those flaws. It is your armor, and it can never harm you.

Love it! (looked up the written quote)

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd love to watch that but my computer isn't letting me play videos.
I'll just put the important part here, then.

"The perfect being, huh? There is no such thing as perfect in this world. That may sound cliché, but it's the truth. The average person admires perfection and seeks to obtain it. But, what's the point of achieving perfection? There is none. Nothing. Not a single thing. I loathe perfection! If something is perfect, then there is nothing left. There is no room for imagination. No place left for a person to gain additional knowledge or abilities. Do you know what that means? For scientists such as ourselves, perfection only brings despair. It is our job to create things more wonderful than anything before them, but never to obtain perfection. A scientist must be a person who finds ecstasy while suffering from that antimony. In short, the moment that foolishness left your mouth and reached my ears, you had already lost. Of course, that's assuming you are a scientist"

• Love
Reactions: 1 person
I found it not too long ago (got my computer to finally work with me and look up the written) but now we have the video and the written. I adore that quote, though I have never watched the anime, thanks for sharing!

I think perfection is a noble goal. While it is healthy to be aware of your faults, to admire them is a tad excessive.

Just because you may never be the 'best' doesn't mean that you should become complacent and not get better.

I think perfection is a noble goal. While it is healthy to be aware of your faults, to admire them is a tad excessive.

Just because you may never be the 'best' doesn't mean that you should become complacent and not get better.
Perfection to me is something nobody should aspire to because it will tear someone apart. I think admiring your flaws is learning how to work with them, and if there are traits you don't like, change them then. true that there is always some room for improvement, but don't lose yourself doing it.

We are perfectly imperfect. Life is half choice and half chance: You're born with a set of characteristics and life will throw hard balls at you. Take those characteristics and random events and do your best with your choices.

Beyond that, there is nothing one can hope to achieve in the end except a long and well lived life upon which they can drift off into oblivion in happiness rather than regret.

I refer to the quote in my signature for all other things.

Well, Tyrion Lannister just gave me free reign to enjoy being an egotistical tower of manliness.

• Love
Here I am... A perfectionist... Should I cherish the flaws of that? I am never satisified, nothing is ever perfect for me. I get so worked up over it because nothing is ever "perfect" in the way I want it to be.

Think about that quote for a minute; if we take the darkness away from the stars, their brightness would drown each other out, and thus it might be too much for our eyes to take. So why is it that our good qualities are looked at with such awe and our bad traits are scorned?
Probably because if we looked at the flaws positively they'd all be turned into stars and now we'd be extra blind from all the brightness. :P
Trolling aside? I do actually agree with the message, this just seem to open/obvious to ignore giving the smart-ass answer with.

Flaws are the chink in the armor of the amazing machine that is the human being. We are the most sophisticated biological being on this planet, full of dreams, aspirations and goals. We can wield tools, make art, create things, build things, destroy things. Imagine us without flaws? Without anything that could bring us down. It's incomprehensible, its the closest you could come to the concept of a legit god. No, we all have flaws, that is just how it's going to be. Its about being able to play to our strengths while protecting and improving upon our flaws when it's possible.

One must suffer the darker recess' to better appreciate the magnificence of the sun.

• Love
Flaws are the chink in the armor of the amazing machine that is the human being. We are the most sophisticated biological being on this planet, full of dreams, aspirations and goals. We can wield tools, make art, create things, build things, destroy things. Imagine us without flaws? Without anything that could bring us down. It's incomprehensible, its the closest you could come to the concept of a legit god. No, we all have flaws, that is just how it's going to be. Its about being able to play to our strengths while protecting and improving upon our flaws when it's possible.
I'd just like to expand upon that and say that humanity is what it is because of its flaws - not in spite of them.
We are susceptible to disease - so we create medicine to heal. Our bodies are weak - so we create machines to work for us. We are weak by ourselves - so we band together despite our differences, and become a force unlike any on the planet. We humans, by our very nature, are flawed. But that's what drives humanity forward. If we were 'perfect,' we would grow stagnant. We would cease to move forward, covinced that the one single state we had achieved was as far as we could go.
Humans are change incarnate - we are not perfect, by any stretch of the imagination, but we are more than capable of being fantastic.

• Love

Little ditty aside, I sort of think that anyone who 'cherishes' his or her flaws is not thinking straight. Flaws are flaws: they're bad, they're things that stop you from doing the things you have to do, things that stop you from enjoying yourself or reaching our fullest potential. Would you cherish the alcoholism of, well, an abusive alcoholic? The real key is to actually know what your flaws are, and what they aren't. Real problems come when people fail to accept their flaws as flaws, thinking they're either blessings or something unbreakable like truths, or their blessings as actual blessings, thinking they're stuff they'd be better off without. It's discretion that counts, in short, not blind acceptance of everything around you.

Although, in a metaphysical sense, accepting the inevitability of fate and oblivion is a must; but taking that idea to general life is the loss of all hope and virtue.

Flaws are flaws: they're bad, they're things that stop you from doing the things you have to do, things that stop you from enjoying yourself or reaching our fullest potential.
Not in all cases. If there kis a flaw you just can't live with, then work on it. But flaws, as much as positive traits, are what make us. There can be no stars without the darkness and no light at the end of the tunnel. They stop you if you let them, aide you if you make them.

But flaws, as much as positive traits, are what make us.
There are also some flaws you cannot fix, and other flaws that are purely subjective. A man filled with pride in his works might be seen as egotistical. Another who is a works incredible hard might be considered a workaholic who ends up terminating relationships out of neglect. Flaws are an inevitable consequence of giving a shit about anything in yourself or in the outside world. "You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."

You can spend your whole life chasing perfection and never achieve it. That, in of itself, is flawed.

So all you can do is pick and choose your battles. Figure out which flaws you can live with and which ones you can't.

Then there's the flaws you have no choice in. Like being born handicapped in some manner: You have to live with those flaws. "Those aren't flaws!" Yes, not being able to walk is a flaw. It doesn't make you a lesser or inferior person by any stretch, but it is a flaw. So yeah. There you go.

The general message isn't a bad one though. Always try to better yourself where you can and where you feel you dislike your flaws: It makes sense. Just not quite the right wording. (S)he's a teenager though, so, the wording thing will come with age.

• Love
The general message isn't a bad one though. Always try to better yourself where you can and where you feel you dislike your flaws: It makes sense. Just not quite the right wording. (S)he's a teenager though, so, the wording thing will come with age.
I actually have not a problem with them at all ^.^ That's why we have the reply option is to give an opinion, an opinion I am grateful for.

Then there's the flaws you have no choice in. Like being born handicapped in some manner: You have to live with those flaws. "Those aren't flaws!" Yes, not being able to walk is a flaw. It doesn't make you a lesser or inferior person by any stretch, but it is a flaw. So yeah. There you go.
Yes, there are flaws. We will always have them, I just see the beauty in having flaws. It means that I am not perfect and still yet can accept my inner self without as much toil.

This reminds me of my SO. He tells me he loves me for all my flaws, and the rest is like a big bonus. It was worded more poetically than that, but I can't remember it word for word. Memory loss is one of my flaws. :P

I was raised with the expectation to be perfect. Anything less got me hurt in some way. You can imagine that a little girl wanting her step-dad's approval will do ANYTHING she can to get so much as a congratulatory handshake. The obsession with perfection is molded into my mind so well that I'll work myself to the bone until something's right, because I want to always be good enough. In doing this, I only became more flawed. So, I'm learning each day to improve on that. Learn to relax for once, don't stress about what's not worth stressing about...

Anyway. Thanks for this, Logic. <3 (And Tyrion, of course.) I've been dealing with a lot of shit lately and this has significantly brightened my world.

• Love