Role: Secretary
Properties: Loses energy in sunlight.
Hairstyle: Bob-cut
Player: Shiz

no-lightbox

Moonstone
(Mohs 6.0)

Role: Architect
Properties: Gains energy from full + mostly full moons.
Hairstyle: Long, segmented ponytail
Player: Herzi

no-lightbox

Painite
(Mohs 8.0)

Role: Patrol
Properties: None.
Hairstyle: Afro
Player: Herzi
no-lightbox

Apatite
(Mohs 5.0)

Role: Patrol
Properties: None.
Hairstyle: Long braid
Player: Shiz​

I'll get to additional characters eventually

Last edited:
Anything that's not a drag, please…

There was something foreboding about Blue Larimar's gaze, the secretary's eyes beaming some imperceptible ray of contempt from over a rigidly held clipboard. A gaze that was like a question, only the question was rhetorical, and mostly meant as an insult. It hurt, somewhat. That was a problem with those of Larimar's ilk - so well put-together, so organized, so matter-of-fact that their unspoken aspersions may as well have been completely true.

"Apatite,"

Apa cringed, hair - a long braided tail of blue - noticeably swaying as their upper body recoiled.

"Are you ready to make yourself useful?"

By now it had been… over a hundred years since they had been plucked from the Shore? Apa had been primarily involved in odd-jobs; gathering, mostly, whether it be parts of fragmented compatriots, or some plant to harvest for resin. The assignment has always been largely an afterthought, however, some way to keep them occupied instead of loafing about; Apa had always come up with precious little, in comparison to the real gatherers.

And now, all these years later, that one true calling, as dictated by a stuck-up secretary.

That had been the dream, hadn't it? All those years of doing random something-or-anothers passed, so that now Apa could be set upon the task that they would be bound to for the foreseeable future - which was either forever or until the Lunarians finally plucked them away.

"Yes, Lari, definitely ready." said Apa, definitively not ready.

Apatite followed Larimar, blade in tow, across the School, almost entirely empty at this time of day save for a few essential regulars; Seraphinite the doctor, Blue Corundum the heavy-hitter, and, of course, Larimar, the secretary -ever eager to chastise a lazy straggler.

They made their way past the lines of sloping pillars that overlooked the serene pool, out into the green, made vibrant by the shimmering sun. The open horizon of possibility suddenly became a closing door, curtains cast over a good chunk of future prospects. We're not… really discounting the possibility of an indoor job, right…?

"Pick up the pace, Apatite. We currently have Painite doing a patrol shift alone, which could be very problematic."

P-patrol?

A figure loomed from amongst the horizon.

Painite turned as they heard others approaching, putting the sun behind them. Blinking the sun out of their eyes, Painite was able to make out Blue Larimar and Apatite, and began to walk forward to meet them.

As they drew to a stop, Painite reminded themself to give Apatite a small, reassuring smile. They remembered how nervous they had been, when they were first matched with Chrysoprase for a patrol. It was an inexplicable, deep rooted fear that rose up from within. A fear somehow not present when simple wandering the island or when gathering, but always present when doing the same on patrol. Painite had been nearly overwhelmed by that fear, at the beginning, but Chrys had been there to reassure them. To comfort.

The memory of their lost partner brought a sharp pain of grief, still raw, still fresh, and Painite briefly turned to look over their shoulder in order to hide the expression of loss from the others. No need to burden them with her mourning. Once their face was back under control and smile back in place, Painite looked back to Apatite and gave a small wave in greeting. "Hello Apatite, Larimar. The morning treating you two well so far?"

Don't bring up Chrysoprase, don't bring up Chrysoprase, don't bring up Chrysoprase…

"Yes." Blue Larimar had replied less than genially, albeit with more dispassion than scathing sarcasm. The days were seldom kind to the secretary; the sheen of her perfectly symmetrical bob-cut had been diminished by the morning sun. Her powdered limbs moved sluggishly as well, gingerly pressing a spare blade into Apa's hands.

Don't bring up Chrysoprase, don't bring up Chrysoprase, don't bring up Chrysoprase…

"As you know, Chryosprase's replacemen-"

"Great!" Apa spoke, hurriedly interjecting, "The morning is treating us great. I'm fantastical… fantastic. It's an honor to be on patrol with you and…"

The Secretary had turned and made to walk away at this point, Apa had noticed. That was somewhat cruel, they felt, bringing new partners together with precious little in the way of an encouraging pep-talk. Desperately, they searched for some words to further fill the void, lest it consume them entirely in a crippling dome of-

"D-do you like blades?"

???

Reactions: HerziQuerzi
This time, when Blue Larimar mentioned Chrysoprase, Painite didn't need to look away to keep their mood from infecting the others. Their face was already schooled, mind already kept carefully blank. They simply gave Apatite a smile in response to their flustered outburst, and gave Blue Larimar a polite wave as they left.

"I've never had a strong opinion about blades," Painite answered with a small laugh. "I understand that you're nervous, but don't worry; for this first patrol I made sure to get us a route where we're always in sight of the school. If a sunspot appears - if - Blue Corundum will be right there to deal with it. A nice and easy first day for you."

Adjusting the belt carrying their blade, Painite set off further into the grass. "And you don't need to avoid bringing... them up. I'll be fine," they said, sounding unconvinced even to themself. "I'd rather remember Chrys fondly than not at all. The concern was nice, though. Chrys was also always considerate like that."

"... Everyone says they were great."

Apatite had replied, after a small while, with a part-lie; Apatite had never really broached or paid much attention to the subject. And in any case, Painite's lack of concern was a trap. Not one set with any intent, obviously, but surely nothing good could come out of pursuing the subject, now or in the future? With a suddenness that risked whiplash, they diverted.

"I don't really have a strong opinion on blades either, but I did try to steal Cor's once, when they were sleeping." They spoke in animated fashion, braid swaying like a pendulum with each word, hoping levity would cause them to stray far, far away from the matter of Chrysoprase. "Everyone told me it would be way too heavy for me to carry, but - they all looked the same - how heavy could it be? Well, I fell flat on my face and chipped the paint off my cheek. So, well, that heavy."

They were talking too much, they knew. Painite was going to think they were such a closeted blade fanatic.