Five Word Challenge #5

K

Kitti

Original poster
Five Word Challenge
Presented by: Kitti!

[bg=#C5E3BF]
This challenge is to help strengthen your vocabulary. You'll learn new words and how to use them in roleplay posts, stories, poems, etc!

Instructions:
1. Aim for a minimum of 1-3 paragraphs. If you'd like to write more than that, then go for it!
2. Make sure you use each word in your post. Be as creative as you'd like.
3. Style the writing like you would for a story. It can be describing a setting, or written from the perspective of a character. Whatever you feel would work the best.
4. Have fun with this, of course!

The Words:

• Impel (v.) - To drive or urge forward; press on; incite or constrain to action.
    [*] Agape (n.) - Unselfish love of one person for another without sexual implications.
    [*] Ambulate (v.) - To walk about or move from place to place.
    [*] Tawdry (adj.) - Gaudy; showy and cheap.
    [*] Keloid (n.) - An abnormal proliferation of scar tissue, as on the site of a surgical incision.

[/bg]

(Alright... those words really worked with a character I already have. Only did an excerpt from a scene he would be commonly found in.)

It was a cool night. Clouds covered the sky in an overcast with nothing to impel them. A lone male stripper in all his tawdry glory made his way across the street. He was on his way to his only home – if only for the night.

His name was Marlon and even the police knew him as a peaceful drifter. He chose on purpose to ambulate through the city for the remainder of his days. Or at least until he decided to settle down with a nice man.

But what most of the city didn't know about Marlon is that he was a psychology student who was in love with knowledge. She was his mistress and if there was any 'woman' to be agape with, he thought, it would be her. He lived a life on the edge – he had jagged keloid scar tissue to prove it – in an effort to finish his doctoral thesis.

Though the night was cold, he skipped and laughed to himself, his white teeth gleaming. Marlon enjoyed these kind of nights for they reminded him of his childhood when his father and he would blow smoke from imaginary cigarettes held between their fingers. His father would go one step further and after drinking some coffee would bellow smoke, through his mouth and nose, like a dragon. The thoughts always brought a smile to his almost always tired looking face.

After spending some of the extra energy he had stored, Marlon walked casually up to a predetermined door and knocked. He stood rocking back and forth on his heels, hands in his pockets. When the door opened, he raised his arms up in a hug, his smile returning. Bursting forth from the warmth of the small, single story home, was an older woman who was going grey slowly but surely. She embraced him for a long time and he returned the favor.

"I was beginning to get worried, hun," she said.

"Ah, don't worry 'bout me, mom."

"How long are you going to stay," she asked looking up at him.

He smiled. "Oh, probably just for the night. I've made a lot of progress and I need to type out some things before my notes get lost. I feel like I'm almost done."

Her smile was just as tired as his but she managed one. "I'll make some coffee and warm up the left overs."

"Thanks."

(Sorry, had to add dialogue. It felt weird leaving off at three paragraphs...)