Five Word Challenge #10

K

Kitti

Original poster
Five Word Challenge
Presented by: Kitti!

[bg=#C5E3BF]
This challenge is to help strengthen your vocabulary. You'll learn new words and how to use them in roleplay posts, stories, poems, etc!

Instructions:
1. Aim for a minimum of 1-3 paragraphs. If you'd like to write more than that, then go for it!
2. Make sure you use each word in your post. Be as creative as you'd like.
3. Style the writing like you would for a story. It can be describing a setting, or written from the perspective of a character. Whatever you feel would work the best.
4. Have fun with this, of course!

The Words:

• Brusque (adj.) - Short, abrupt, dismissive.
    [*] Connive (v.) - To plot, scheme.
    [*] Epigone (n.) - An undistinguished imitator, follower, or successor of an important writer, painter, etc..
    [*] Recondite (adj.) - Beyond ordinary knowledge or understanding.
    [*] Wholly (adv.) - Entirely; totally.

[/bg]

"You had better be wholly away by tomorrow night, wench, or I'll whip you so hard that it'll knock the nonsense out of you!" The older man yelled at his daughter, who stood solemnly before him. Harland Leighton was furious with his eighteen-year old daughter, because she had just informed him that she was in fact a lesbian - which shocked him enough - and also that she was running away to America with her...he shuddered at the word, girlfriend.

Marianne rolled her eyes. "Father, it's 1920 for heaven's sake, not the 1800's! I'm in love with Evelyn, and I want to be with her, in a place where we will be accepted." She placed her hands on her slim waist as she continued, "It was never my plan to connive against you, but I am in love, and you cannot stop us. She is an aspiring artist, and will someday become an epigone of a famous artist, following in their footsteps. I'm sorry you have been so recondite, but I cannot stay here any longer." She turned and walked out, her figure tall and erect, proud of who she was.

Harland was quiet for a moment, but then he yelled after her, his tone brusque, "Just don't bother coming back here, Marianne Leighton! You are no longer a part of this family!"

Kalli made a brusque gesture to Aaron who was standing close behind her. They were walking to her next class where they would be discussing a boring topic about epigones. Our new teacher thought it would be nice to study and appreciate the less important than the infamous painters and writers that most people know today. However, I was a person of recondite knowledge, so I connived and thought of a wholly way to get out of it. Well maybe not amazing, but it'll do the job. All I had to do was hand them the note, walk out the door of class and the school, and be gone before they realize that the signature was a forgery of my mother's.

((it's DEFINITELY not the best))

I thought I'd flitter in here briefly just to make one teensy note - otherwise the usages are correct (but I figure, this is a learning type challenge, so I might as well!).

Becca - epigone is typically a bit negative in connotation, a well-spoken equivalent to calling someone a poser, kind of. But otherwise, great! Thank you for participating.

Kami, don't be so hard on yourself. It's fine! The one note I'll make on yours is that wholly is an adverb, which means it should be modifying a verb. "I was wholly taken aback by her sudden outburst". Thanks for participating! I love reading what you guys come up with.

Looking gooooood, guys~

I never got the chance to see the Marquis in person. They say he was a brusque individual, full of charm and wit, and of course, sadistic intent. When the wine was all gone, and the women spent, he liked to connive grand schemes to further his own extremism. One day, he would be a writer, lost in the moment and stealing the words of another. The next, he would be the grand epigone of Artillay, Johnson, or perhaps Remain - all great artists from long ago, all ripe for the plundering in the modern age. Speaking about his deeds now wholly consumes me with the need to reach recondite intimations with his drive, reasoning, and style.

Why did he waste his life imitating the machinations of others?

Perhaps I'll never know.