Writing Levels
  1. Advanced
  2. Prestige
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Male
  2. Nonbinary
  3. Primarily Prefer Female
Genres
I'm open to a wide range of genres. Obscenely wide. It's harder for me to list all I do like than all I don't like.

My favorite settings are fantasy combined with something else, multiverse, post-apoc, historical (mixed with something else), and futuristic. I'm not limited to those, but it's a good start.

My favorite genres include mystery, adventure, action, drama, tragedy (must be mixed with something else and kept balanced), romance (again must be mixed, and more.

I'm happy to include elements of slice-of-life and romance, but doing them on their own doesn't hold my interest indefinitely.
Five-Point Speed-Writing Exercise
Inspired by the lovely Ravenfrost.

Write or draft a story using the below story elements without pausing and trying to not take over 20 minutes (you can rewrite or edit afterwards, if you want).

Who:
Who is involved? They don't have to be a main character.
  • An oblivious private investigator.

What:
Include the below so that they're instrumental to the story.
  • Loss and a kitten.

When:
When does the story take place?
  • In the near future, during the evening.

Where:
Where is this happening?
  • In a night club.

How:
How does it end? Include this in the ending/resolution.
  • An old brass key.

• Love
Reactions: 1 person
(Wheeee! Here's my draft. Thanks so much for the work out! )

Exercise Response:

It was Thursday, raining hard, and growing close to midnight. The veil between the living and dead was said to grow thin on November 2nd. All Souls' Day, he had heard it called. When the dead would return to visit the living.

Private detective Potate Finkbuttum nursed his drink (ignoring the glare of the bartender) and blearily wondered if that was really true. It was 2017 and people still believed these things. He hoped to hell to never see any ghosts!

He absent-mindedly shook his glass to distribute the dregs of the whiskey over the melting, stale-tasting ice cubes as if that would renew it and make it palatable. (He absolutely hated the taste of alcohol. But he had to blend in.)

He straightened up and threw his shoulders back a little as he surveyed the bustling nightclub with what he hoped was a jaded knowing expression. He was a detective. A private dick. A gumshoe! Crafty, sophisticated, slick. Sure, he'd had some bad luck in the past, but that could happen to anyone. He was headed for success.

A gorgeous doll with a figure that would put a man's eyes out had come to the office in his basement that afternoon. A damsel in distress! His very first!

She had hired Potate to get back her missing kitten, whom she claimed her ex-boyfriend stole from her out of revenge because he caught her kissing his younger brother in the men's restroom of the bowling alley one night. Weeping into a bag of McDumbo's take-out, she told the tragic story of how this villain would take her kitten to nightclubs and make it perform unnatural acts, crimes against nature.

"Say no more," puffed Potate potently. "I'll take care of it for you, sweetheart."

And so he had trolled the clubs. And waited. And watched. And tonight, tonight was the jackpot! Some big, flashy young blood was swinging a kitten around the dance floor while his cronies laughed and hooted.

Potate couldn't contain himself. Patting his concealed weapon surreptitiously, he raced over to the scene of vice.

"Hold it right there, scumbag!" he shouted over the roar of music and babbling of the crowd. "That kitten doesn't belong to you. Hand it over!"

"Who the hell are you?" retorted the kitten-dancer with a sneer.

Potate pulled out his ASPCA card and flashed it in the lout's face, watching it fall.

"Awww," his opponent groaned. "Can't a guy have a little fun? Tell you what, you can have the kitten if you can guess what's in this pocket." He pointed to his right pant's pocket while holding the squirming kitten motionless with his other hand. "Otherwise you'll have to fight me AND my buddies for it."

Potate was 5'2" and this nasty piece of goods was well over six feet. He wavered momentarily, caught between self-preservation and the drive to solve the case. His anxiety spiked. The room seemed to grow gray and everyone faded into the shadows.

A familiar voice spoke into his left ear, "An old brass key. And tie your shoelaces for the love of God!"

"Ma? Ma, is that you?" Potate swiveled, but no one was there. A ghost?

He turned and faced his opponent, the room and its inhabitants once more in focus.

"An old brass key," he said authoritatively. He had no idea if that was right, but when bluffing, bluff with style!

A few minutes later, a diminutive gray-haired woman at the bar watched the oblivious private investigator walk off with a yowling orange kitten who was intent on tearing his jacket to shreds with its sharp little claws.

"Bless the boy, he was born with half-a-brain, I swear. If I didn't watch over him…" The aged woman sighed and motioned for the bartender to pour her another. She definitely deserved it. It was getting harder and harder to take care of him, now that Potate had crossed to the other side.

Barney was locking up the office for the night. It had been a long week and he needed a bit of down time. He got in his car and drove the few miles to his favorite nightclub and parked on the street, since there was an open space for once. he got out and went inside. He ordered a scotch neat and downed it in one long swallow. He tapped the bar and another took its place only for it to disapear just as quickly. He pulled out a cigarette and was told there was no smoking inside, so he shook his head and went outside to add his other vice to his relaxation routine for the night. He took a long heavy drag on the cigarette and was just releasing the smoke from his lungs when he felt a tug on his pants leg. Looking down he saw a mass of yellow curls and big blues eyes staring up at him. "Ya need somthin' Little One?' he asked.

"Misser...I loss my kiddy kad an'..." Bit tears welled up in her eyes and fell down her cheeks and her lower lip pooched out like she was about to fall into a full blown sobbing fit. Oh no, tears. It was ALWAYS the tears.

He crouched down and brushed them away, "it's ok.....I find stuff fer a livin' I"ll help ya find yer kitty."

Her eyes widened and lit up and a huge smile exploded on her face, "YOU WIW??? I KNEWed you lookeded like a nice growed up."

He grinned, "Where'd ya last see yer Kitty?"

"Ova der..." she said pointing to the cemetery. "She runded ri' in der." She huffed a bit and stomped her little foot. "She a bad kiddy kad."

"Maybe she got scared," he offered trying to get the cat off the hook for some reason or another. "I have a flash light in ma car. We can go look fer her tagether if ya want."

Her curled bounced as she nodded her head to his question and held up her hand. He took it and the two walked to his car and he grabbed the flashlight off the front seat, locked it and proceeded across the street to the cemetery, with the little blond imp at his side.

He never suspected for a moment that he was being lured into a well crafted trap. "What's yer Kitty look like?"

"She awl bwack...acep a widda whi' spot ri' on hew widda head."

All black, of course it's all black. It was growing dark now, and there was very little light in the cemetery making their task that much more difficult. "Mebbe ya should try an call yer Kitty..."

She nodded and took a big breath and yelled as loud as she could, "KIDDY....KIDDY KAD!!" A soft 'meow' was heard off to their right.

He smiled, "I heard a meow...mebbe it was her..." he said encouragingly as he moved toward the soft sound. He heard it again and it was a little louder that time so he was sure they were just about to have success. It seemed to be echoing though and he stopped and turned and realized the cat had gotten into one of the larger vault type graves. His boot kicked something and a soft tinkle of metal skipping across stones was heard. He pointed the flashlight and saw a large old brass key. it was green from exposure but he bent to pick it up.

Again the meow was heard and this time he was sure it came from just beyond the metal gates of the crypt right in front of them. "Mebbe this key will fit and we can git yer kitty...wanna try?" That bounce of glistening curls was his answer so he tried the key and sure enough it fit and the old iron gate screeched as he pushed it open. They went down a narrow staircase and to his surprise there was a large open room at the bottom with a very large black cat in the center of it. When he turned to look at the little girl, he was surprised to see she was gone.

She was standing by the Cat now and those once blue eyes were now red and menacing. No one heard his screams or solved the mystery of his disappearance.

((Cheated a bit...doesn't happen in the nightclub but ya know...stuff happens.))