23rd day of Zoi - 8 Days after the fall of Thalia
Eshil, 10 miles North-East of Abelsol
@Falcon @Verran @TheSly @Nomad-22 @Takumi @Conway @Jessica2477

"Alrevis Azurian... retired Stanislav tactician officer," he spoke as Gavril was asked who his sudden allies were that jumped into the fray so willingly to aid Gavril. To be fair this group had been rushed together, and thrown through the ringer without much warning. Yet even Alrevis had to admit this sudden grouping of fighters, and nobles... was right out of a story book.

"The goddess works in mysterious way... which brings me to why I am here," Alrevis spoke walking over to Reina Sitting next to her... no doubt with those eyes.. she was a noble of Thalia thee Thalian noble. How Gavril had gotten into this was no shocker, but yet the rest was much a story to hear no doubt.

"First off let me catch you up on the current goings of Thalia. Your mother is alright the scourge attack upon your land was in fact a rouge unit in the Stanislav military that had been armed via the pillaged bordering defenses between our two countries. Your land has been returned to thalian hands with Stanislav military helping the council of Thalia mend its wounds... the attackers have also all been executed. However... your brother is missing... and I know even with all this information you will not be returning to Thalian borders," Alrevis spoke stopping a moment to let all that information settle in especially among the people he didn't know in the group... they had a right to know after all, and it would give Alrevis to see if anyone acted on upon his words. Especially with where this conversation was going to take itself alone.

"At the same time I know why, and why you can't say aloud. I don't know how much you are aware of your situation, but you are being chased not only Stanislav military looking to place you in the seat of power for your land, but by a hidden group... looking to make sure neither you make it to your destination... or back to Thalia alive," Alrevis looked at Gavril... how much did his old friend know? Was he in the dark as well to everything... was everyone around Reina in the dark? Even so now would be the moment to see if any nasty elements were indeed hidden among this odd cast.

"Just like your current retainers I to plan to see you through this safe. Knowing much the cost if you are to fail your venture," The tactician said taking a knee before Reina as a knight would a king.

"I Alrevis Azurian will see you through your quest, and until the day you may be done of it I will guard you with my life."

@Nomad-22 @Verran @Takumi @TheSly @Conway @Jessica2477 @Azurian Dream

Nightfall

"A rouge unit?" Reina answered barely suppressing a laugh, "I'm sorry but that rumor is false. I've already had that truth from... someone who was present for those events... Still, it's good to know what story they are telling." She couldn't help but sigh as she looked over those with her. "I'm guessing most of us were affected in one way or another." Was her brother really missing? or were the rumors mixed up with those searching for her? that perhaps could be used to her advantage.. if only she could figure out how. This sort of political subterfuge had never been her strongest skill. She was much better versed in negotiation and mediation.

"And I don't recall ever meeting you before. You say you know my parents?"

It bothered her that he was so quick to guess at her identity, unless he knew for certain. That would be an entirely different problem. Still, even if he thought he was certain as to her identity, there was a heavy clue there that they should at least try to pretend otherwise. As long as they were in the open anyway. And they were very in the open. Reina was sure she'd seen "Agato" as he was called checking over their campsite for that very reason.

"If you truly are an ally, as I hope any who claim to serve the goddess are, then I welcome your aid. However, I cannot pay you."

There. At least if he was some mercenary after money his reaction to that might tell her. Reina was also fairly sure everyone was watching everyone. She herself had kept an eye on Martha to see how she was handling the news of home. And Jebei as well. He of all of them had been dragged into this mess with not much say. Reina resolved then to find some means of making that debt right at least.

Gavril Daulfern
Mentions - @Falcon @Azurian Dream

Before Gavril could answer his charge, his friend answered her first. Alrevis introduced himself truthfully, though with a little bit more "flair" than Gavril expected; particularly taking a knee to her.

It made him smile to see his friend, a former Stanislavian tactician, show respect to the (technically) mediator of Thalia.

Hopefully, things can remain peaceful between the two of them. Otherwise, Gavril would be forced to make another tough choice.

The last thing he needed right now was to make more tough decisions.

"My liege," Gavril spoke up, "I would not worry of payment. If my memory of Alrevis serves true, he is a man of his word. And his word is that he plans to act as one of your retainers. If he betrays you, I will handle it swiftly." He added the last part with a playful smirk towards his old friend, but his words would prove true if Alrevis dared raise a weapon at Reina.

"For input, he is an old friend of mine since before I began training for the Stanislavian military." He told Reina just so she had an idea of who this man who seemed to appear from nowhere was.

Ludivine Daulfern
Mentions -

The young woman thought to herself as she stood behind one of the trees close to the group that carried her target as well as all of her companions. This had been the closest to the girl Ludivine had been in a while, and one of the most dangerous parts. If her brother's or the archer's horse could alert the group of her whereabouts, Ludivine would have to make a quick getaway for an open space for Fosc to take her away.

She clutched her cloak tightly to keep it from fluttering, listening intently to the details that Alrevis was sharing with Reina.

The information he shared had been useless to her up until Alrevis pointed out that another mysterious group had been after her as well. This group she was uncertain. She would certainly take note of this.

For now, she controlled her breathing and quietly listened for more interesting details. The more she could report back to her superior, the better.

Suraya of Farrokhzad

The following morning, Suraya awoke with a loud yawn and a bedhead that only rivaled a sewer's nest. A small trail of drool had dried at the side of her mouth and the Sandman's seduction was still present within her eyes. She, well, looked far less graceful than her introductions to her new comrades.

At the moment, she could care less.

She yawned loudly again, taking a second to figure out where she was before quickly working on her appearance.

Suraya barely heard Esmail's question about their next destination. Where the wind blew, she would travel. So long as it was not "home."

Thankfully, Esmail had chosen the path further from Ufral. New places, new locations! She couldn't wait~

After she fixed herself to look presentable, she got up from her previous sleeping spot and looked to Esmail.

"Does it matter? Let us just continue our journey towards the south and see what interesting events our travels hold for us!" She answered with a big smile. "The longer we stay here, the longer I stay bored, my dear sweet bodyguard."

With that, their path had been chosen and they were on their way. Suraya walked-well frolicked really- as they progressed onward.

Denzin san Viago
Time -
8 Days after the Fall of Thalia, 23rd Day of Zoi, Nightfall.
Location - Eshil, 10 miles north-east of Ablesol.
Mentions - @Falcon, @Verran, @Nomad-22, @Azurian Dream, @Conway, @Jessica2477, @Takumi

Denzin could not help it. As the pale-haired male introduced himself a smile grew ever wider and wider on his lips. A former tactician of Stainslav? How very interesting. But what was even more intriguing were the words that left his lips. A lot of his former suspicions were practically proven right by what this man was so foolishly saying. "Her country", maybe that it was just his choice of words, but between the attack and this wording, Denzin was more than ready to take a shot in the dark and assume that the blue-haired woman was of a high rank, with the mention of her mother he could narrow it down even further, she must be the daughter of someone in a high position in Thalia, the title they hold then gets passed down to the ancestors of the one who had had it before them, which made these ancestors, in this case, the blue-haired one, important as well. It was only precision guesswork, but that was enough for Denzin at the time.

At the rate these people are giving away free information about themselves, I won't even have to ask anyone's name, birthdate, or, gods know, their entire history. They're just going to tell me, without me even asking! Brilliant! Denzin thought to himself, keeping his laughter contained in his head.

He did have to stifle a silent chuckle when the man pointed out he knew what he should and should not say aloud. Either he was a complete fool, or he was way in above his head. The information he had just given could tell anyone, that possessed just a modicum of intellect, of the importance of the girl, and through running into the wrong circles and being an ... annoyance ... to even more of the wrong people, Denzin knew for certain that heads of important people could fetch quite some amount of money or favors, maybe even both, at least if you knew who to talk to. For one or two seconds Denzin was tempted to snatch the girl during the night, who knew, she might've been able to resolve one or another issue he had caused. But he quickly ditched the idea, he had not fallen that far... not yet, anyway.

Toward the end of the strategist's little display, Denzin had already grown tired of it. He did not need to hear another vow of allegiance, if his experience was anything to go by, those never lasted long. So, instead, he snuck his way over to the girl that had asked who these strange people surrounding her were in the first place. As he approached he lifted the hood of his cloak a little from his face so that it was easier to see, however, not taking it off, so that his animal-like ears were still hidden within the hood. He positioned himself a little to the side, behind the woman. Then he put a hand on her shoulder, slowly and without any force at all.

"The name is Denzin san Viago. Diviner, magician and occasional dabbler in the dark arts. Pleased to make your acquaintance, love." Denzin spoke silently and tried to make his voice, that sounded rather soothing anyways, sound even more calming, leaning a little closer to her so that she could hear her more easily than the others could and so that he could look her in the eyes as he spoke, the eyes are the gate to the soul, after all. The woman had dark brown hair, clear blue eyes and a small mole underneath her lip on the left side. She, in Denzin's opinion, had a face that was a little too pretty to hide underneath the hood of a coat, but to each their own. He also could not help but notice a quite nice smell coming off her.

Denzin decided right there that she too would find a place on his list of intriguing people within the group.

Levi Callaghan
Time - 8 days after the Fall of Thalia, 23rd day of Zoi, morning.
Location - Eshil, several miles away from the Ufral Border
Mentions - @Falcon, @Jessica2477, @Fyrra, @Conway

Levi had awoken quite early, a few minutes before sunrise. He had tried to return to sleep, but no such luck. So he simply sat himself down a few feet away from the other four. There was nothing he would have needed to do to get prepared. He had the luck to have hair that was always rather fluffy and pillow-like, which effectively turned his bed head into his everyday hairstyle, he did not even have to brush it that much, because it never really began forming knots. The only thing that really needed any attention were his clothes. He simply switched from his dark purple shirt into one that had a light pink color.

He stretched, yawning loudly, hearing the bones in his spine crack as a result of the stretching. For a while, Levi just sat there wondering about the people that he had slept alongside with. His thoughts and eyes quickly landed on the pale magician and his companion. He did not know what to make of them yet, what he did know was that he did not trust them, not one bit. Although this distrust was more focused toward magician, in Levi's mind the rider was just a guy paying his dues, probably simply repaying a favor to the dark mage. The magician had him on edge though, for some strange reason that he could not quite explain to himself. One thing he knew for sure, he was going to have an eye on him and if necessary, he was going to put an arrow into the mage before he could even think to finish his incantations.

His eyes then wandered over to the two women. They seemed to him, like polar opposites. The green-haired one, Naira, was much more serene and calm, while Suraya seemed jumpy, eccentric and way too carefree. He let his thoughts wander and lost himself in them, at the same time studying the two sleeping women. He was more than sure that when they woke up and saw him staring he would look rather creepy, but he was willing to accept that. He couldn't explain it to himself, but he had this feeling that he should stick around the two, despite knowing well that he had no business with royalty. It may have been the nature of Suraya that just seemed a little helpless and naive, whether she really was or not Levi couldn't tell, that awakened some sort of protective vein in him, but he knew for sure he would stick around and make sure that the two were alright.

Levi also couldn't help but notice that someone who was essentially a princess drooled in her sleep. Levi had to stifle his laughter.

"So even the people above us commoners do that. Who knows if that's seemly in higher circles." Levi chuckled a little again, remembering that he was staring at two young women in their sleep, "Well, not like I'm one to talk about seemly behavior."

A few minutes later, he pulled a small scabbard with a dagger from his belt. His old man gave it to him after he was given his bow. He told him that the dagger was for protection, but not for protecting him, rather for protecting those he felt he wanted to protect. Of course, this was more metaphorical than anything else, and Levi was aware of that, but for some reason, he felt as if the dagger finally had a purpose now.

He sat there for a while, watching, twirling the dagger in his fingers and letting his thoughts drift off until the others finally awoke. Esmail was the first to wake up. Levi did not stand up from where he was sitting but he immediately felt the grip around the hilt of his dagger tightening, he also quickly tore his eyes off of the two women, no need for the dark mage of all people to see him staring at two sleeping people he claimed to be paid to protect, with a dagger in hand.

A route was quickly chosen that Suraya seemed to be happy about. Levi had no qualms about going deeper into Eshil, adventure waits around every corner anyways, which excited Levi and at least he knew what was edible in Eshil, which meant that he was at least able to properly cook once again.

"I suppose it's as good a time as any to ask. Do any of you have any preferences in foods? According to the people I have cooked for, I am a quite formidable cook and people seem to enjoy my cooking, so if we are going to travel together I might as well take up that duty if there are no objections of course." Levi asked the group as they had just begun making their way in the chosen direction.

Arell McCain
Levitum

Choir boy? Did he really look like a choir boy? He couldn't help but flush at the fond look he was given, and couldn't stop himself from flushing even darker at the suggestion that the three of them would end up flirting with any of the women here in this building. Glancing to the others present, his brows furrowed a bit before he moved forward to walk beside the elderly woman and tried to speak with her.

"Excuse me, ma'am, while we would love to join you for tea, we wish to take a look at any tomes and scrolls you may have stored in a library, if possible?" He asked, grasping her hand and giving her an almost pleading look. He really wanted to take a look at whatever scroll or tome he could get his hands on.

@Verran @Thundermage

Martha Fabre/Gertrude
Eshil Plains

Martha winced as Veran's eyes met her as he spoke, before she avoided eye contact, crossing her arms momentarily as she hugged out a quiet, almost guilty, 'it won't happen again, promise' from her. She was relieved when Reina healed him, though, and gave her friend a nod in thanks on the Stanislavian man's behalf.

Martha blinked as Alvrevis spoke and took a knee for Reina. While she believed it was the respect Reina deserved, doing so under such conditions seemed a bit odd to her. She made a mental note to keep an eye on Reina while they traveled, not because she didn't trust this Alvres fellow, but in case she couldn't trust anyone else in this odd band of misfits.

Gertrude had dismounted for the time being, stating beside her charge as Toma remained nearby grazing without a care in the world, the Midorian woman took a look at those surrounding the two Thalian nobles and found it almost amusing how Reina seemed to be gathering an army of individuals from a multitude of backgrounds.

@Falcon @Jessica2477 @Azurian Dream @Nomad-22 @Conway @Verran

Eshil, 23rd day of Zoi in the Season of Growing 1012 ADW.
8 Days after the fall of Thalia.
Eshil, 10 miles North-East of
Abelsol
@Falcon @Jessica2477 @Azurian Dream @Nomad-22 @Conway @Takumi

Sadia squeaked, practically leaping from her seat as Denzin placed his hand with utmost gentleness upon her shoulder. A crimson flush shot up her face as sudden as a Spring bloom. With as much dignity that she could muster, which, given her role, wasn't much, Sadia gave him a glare that couldn't even curdle an ounce of milk. Made worse by how she covered her mouth with her hands.

"Don't do that...." Sadia's eyes crinkled as she rummaged around in her mind, trying to recover from her shock, "Denzin!" Swatting his hand away and pulling her hood back up to better hide her embarrassment. The woman knew, however, that his gaze would have afforded him little beyond the continued starry-eyed wonder that she had thus far displayed being suddenly slashed, though not removed, with maiden surprise from a mysterious stranger suddenly sneaking up upon her.

"And a pleasure to meet you too," she continued, beginning to recover her proper maid-mask demeanor. Though her flush still remained, likely imagining what fortunes the man could see for their party and the glory they would all obtain. Though deep within her head, she rolled her eyes. Acting foolish was all well and fun, but she wished there was a better ocaission fo it. Like a declaration of undying love. Supposing she'd have to settle for this display of chivalry, she returned to staring joyously upon Alrevis's declaration of loyalty.

Seeming to shake herself, she turned her eyes of wonder at last upon Martha, Veran, and Gertrude, "but who are you all?"

Islas de Abaroa, 26th day of Zoi in the Season of Growing 1012 ADW.
11 Days after the fall of Thalia.
Port City of
Levitum
@Takumi @Thundermage

"Oh! A lettered lad, are ye? Of course, of course! Makes it easier to remember the hymns I expect. And we'll get you a goodly book while we have some tea and prepare for the next sermon," she chimed as, in an incredibly fluid manner, the Mother Superior twisted, looping Arell's arm around her own and clasping it in her hand. As if he were a gentleman escort. Such was a falsehood as she simply began to strong arm him off towards a side door.

Rendan considered trying to slink off, but had the sneaking suspicion that the none too subtle Ms. Ellani, was sharper than she claimed her memory to be. Resigning himself to teatime in a nunnery, he followed her lead. Up a narrow creaking flight of stairs they went until they entered a small cafeteria that overlooked the pews of the church. Sounds of song became obvious on the way up and was revealed to be a small practice as several nuns and one gruff looking man warmed their voices above the pews.

Mother Telma led them to one of the small tables before wheeling poor Arell into the seat before finally releasing him and striding off. She spun back around and swept back, wracking her head. "There's my mind going again, tell me what book are ye wanting to read?"

Last edited:
23rd day of Zoi
Eshil, 10 miles north of Abelsol

The deception was foiled real quick for Veran. The healing ability, the special staff she carried, the clear status of nobility, the draw and devotion of those around her, Gavril especially; it was all too clear now. How that man became a tactician in the Stanislavian military, spilling secrets so valuable like that so easily, Veran had no Idea. Perhaps he was some spoiled kid who got the position handed to him on a silver platter by his father. Before all the pomp and mentions of "her mother" and "her brother" and "her country" Veran had only had a strong suspicion that she was a very important Thalian noble in hiding, but now, all the disguise work: the died hair, the complete change of clothes, the restyling; everything now was little more effective than a pair of glasses and a fake nose. It was clear to see that this was the missing princess standing before them. Veran looked about and decided to feign ignorance, and focus instead on the lies spilling from the tactician's mouth.

"So it is clear that either you are a complete buffoon who is blind to the truth, or you are a snake who is trying to lie his way into a new group of friends," Veran took a step forward, placing himself between Martha and Alveris, glaring at him with his no nonsense look. "You know the truth.You know that the incursion was orchestrated and supported by Stanislav. You know that Thalia is not in the hands of Thalians. Ha! The 'Stanislav military helping the council of Thalia mend its wounds', if you call the creation of a puppet state 'mending its wounds' then sure, maybe... You, a tactician, of all people should know what state Thalia is in. So either you are a snake who is trying to slither his way into your friend's good graces," Veran glanced over to Gavril, then returned his glare to Alveris, "Or you are a дурак, a fool," Veran repeated for those who did not know his mother tongue.

@Takumi @Falcon @Azurian Dream @Verran @TheSly @Jessica2477 @Nomad-22

________________________________________________________________________________________

23 day of Zoi
Eshil, several miles south of the Ufral border

Joris saddled and bridled Fjord as Suraya awoke, he smiled in her direction. "Well it appears someone slept quite soundly hear in these grassy plains." Joris enjoyed the presence of the carefree noblewoman. It was a welcome change from the very quiet and routine nature of Esmail, not that he disliked the man. The carefree happy woman reminded him of his younger days when he played soldier and king of the hill with his young friends. It helped him block out the pain and loss of true war.

He mounted Fjord as their route was chosen, and trotted near the group. He still only donned his breastplate for the moment, leaving him with better visibility and mobility while also making the ride more comfortable for him and his mount. Joris did not at all notice Levi's wary gaze for him and Esmail, and regarded the man with a smile and a nod as he strode forth towards Esmail, "I am going to Go ahead for a little bit to scout the area and see if there is anything of interest in our path." He then drove forward and charged ahead. The long open fields of Eshil were perfect for riding and Joris could see almost all the way to the horizon. A strong breeze blew over the plains ruffling Joris' hair and Fjord's mane as they rode. It was relaxing, serene, far from the stress and chaos of the battlefield.

Joris scanned the horizon, and saw a long winding strip of discolor in the distance. upon closer inspection, it appeared to be a major road headed in a south-easterly direction. It was not too far off their current trajectory, and roads lead to villages and towns. With these vast and mostly uninhabited plains, they could wander for months and not find a trace of civilization, and following a traveled path seemed to be a far better option. He memorized the direction of the road, then spurred his steed back towards his other companions. "There appears to be a major road, no more than four leagues or so over there. I'd wager that it is better following it, than wandering aimlessly through the plains," he mainly addressed Esmail, but also directed it towards the party, as a suggestion of where they should head next.

@TheSly @Jessica2477 @Falcon @Fyrra

Last edited by a moderator:
Alone in the Grasslands
Naira
, troubadour
23 Zoi, eight days post-Thalian coup
Several km southof the Ufral-Eshil border
Relevance: @Falcon @Jessica2477 @TheSly @Conway

Naira shivered, pouring a drought of water on her face to alert her senses. She'd been tossing and turning in the night, unaccustomed to sleeping out in the open winds, yet not entirely out of her element. Even as the girl had stirred in the night, she bundled up in her violet cloak, almost instinctively covering up her face as she slept.

She glanced back in the direction of the makeshift camp, the memory of the sight that greeted her upon waking lingering every time she closed her eyes, another chill running down her spine. It was unusual: not just anyone, but an Atrean staring her down as she slept, dagger in hand... but the expression he wore was not one of malice, which may have been the only thing to keep her from throwing a boot at the archer. In any case, the group appeared little different from any other group of admirers or irregulars swept up in Lady Suraya's path, but Naira kept her distance all the same, thankful that they either respected one's need for privacy, or simply didn't notice her absence.

The girl strayed further, until she could no longer hear or see the entourage. Then, out came the leather-bound tome from the night before, its arcane script not magical in nature, but still difficult to make sense of. For roughly an hour she pored over page after page, frowning, until a sudden touch brought her back to reality: a russet horse, nudging at her face. Without a word, the girl closed her tome and stood back up, covering up her mouth as she yawned... and withdrew a pair of brushes from her satchel.

By the time she returned to the encampment, the knight had returned from his scouting with sightings of a road. Naira tapped at her forehead a moment, trying to pinpoint their location. "The Red-Gold Passage. Caravanners from across the mountains had it built to aid in trading with the grassland tribes, but the tribes have no need of roads to guide their path, so one either expects a traveling caravan with an armed escort, or the thieves in search of an easy target. The road itself passes by several settled tribes, but turns into more of a trail the further into the plains one travels. I imagine one could follow it all the way to Thalia, but I could be mistaken on that front." That left them with a choice: risk visibility, or trudge through the plains? A few thieves would be unlikely to strike, but travelers gossip with one another. It could be another fortnight before word reached any lingering parties to cease attempts to drag Suraya back home, but if they were to be found, it would likely be on the open road.

In any case, the girl had no preference of her own. Her gaze drifted from Joris, to Esmail, to... Esmail's map? He had a map? Well, that would certainly make traveling easier than navigating by starlight. Meanwhile, she opted for distance from the archer: there must have been something he'd seen, for him to have his dagger out in the night, but she wasn't ready to drag that conversation into the open.

Arell McCain
Levitum

Arell blinked as Mother Telma twisted and took his arm captive in her's, momentarily surprised by the old woman's sudden strength and fluidity, how agile she seemed. Not only was she seemingly sly, she had a way of getting what she wanted in the end it seemed. He let her lead him along, regaining his composure and falling in step with her as she left the way to their destination.

"Well, something relating to the goddess Miha and Jack Rogers will do, if you have anything of the sort. Even if you do not, anything on the goddess Miha is enough to put a smile on my face." Arell spoke. It was the truth, yet he hoped to find out more than what he's already learned. They had to be bound to at least find anything else on Miha at the very least.

@Verran @Thundermage

Martha Fabre/Gertrude
Eshil Plains

Martha blinked as Veran stood in front of her in an almost protective manner. Why he decided to do so, she wasn't completely sure, but her eyes landed on the back of his head for a moment in thought as he spoke, practically keeping Reina's cover under wraps best he could in that moment.

While her charge was distracted and Veran was talking to other people, Gertrude turned her head to address the young woman who decided to pick them out. Resisting the urge to sigh, she considered keeping things simple for Martha's sake, seeing as she wasn't sure if Martha wanted to bother with last names at the moment-besides they were in the open and... really, Gertrude didn't particularly trust anyone other than those she traveled with, Reina, and Gavril in this gathering. Saying she trusted Veran in itself was a bit if a stretch given she only known him a short while, but so far he was doing good on his word and that's what mattered at the moment.

"I am Gertrude, and this is Martha. Our friend here can introduce himself when he's ready, I'm sure." She stated simply, deciding that last names and any titles and such would come later, much much later. She didn't bother even looking to Veran as he spoke, though did take note of how he moved with a slight tilt of her head and a brief glance and nothing more before her attention went back to the young woman.

"I don't believe I caught your name." She hummed, sure that so far the young woman hadn't introduced herself or used any aliases so far. Whether she chose to or not, Gertrude didn't necessarily care.

@Falcon @Conway @Verran @Nomad-22 @Jessica2477 @Azurian Dream @TheSly

Last edited:

@TheSly @Jessica2477 @Falcon @Takumi @Conway @Verran

"AHHAHAHAHAHAHA," Alrevis started to laugh rather boisterously given his frame, bu tin a estranged marry way that only a Stanislavian could in that eerie battle cry like way. As his laughing subsided he had used the moment to account for those that seemed to react oddly to that diversion of her identity... not in the "normal" way though... in par to who already knew, and who had unhealthy thoughts. From a mere glance Alrevis was able to read the crowd frighteningly fast. Positive... most were good reactions yet the negative was there were a few concerning seeds among the unusual orchid. For a moment the wind of caution seemed to mire in Alrevis eyes as his thoughts past through all those around the girl... their was a cautious nature of quite around them.

"Hm, if any war dog could put me under you would be one of the few old friend," Alrevis smirked at Gavril tapping his own sword hilt playfully as if to challenge the man yet the two were clearly close as Alrevis allowed his arm to go limb near his blade, and spell book. As he stood up he lightly chuckled tapping Reina's shoulders like a father would to their daughter.

"I doubt you could pay my actual wages earned from my rank little one besides I will be the one funding your travels, but don't expect a free allowance," Alrevis had half joked being rather serious on funding her venture. He had prepared for this quite awhile back as he gave her space to figure out her next move for a moment he headed oddly towards Denzin, and Sadia.

"If information seems to good to be true might be wise not to gorge so much on it that you make your nasty attention noticeable. Please don't make me pay you dues for a bad idea trying to play the part of a wolf," Alrevis smiled rather devilishly at Denzin with a look that could send a cold chill down a warlords back if taken off guard by the sudden change of nature. He doubted Denzin was actually up to ill will, but the look he had given when Alrevis was talking spoke that potential was there for a sour day. That, and with how easily Denzin had fell for the trick spoke to the mans defense to... he had no idea who Reina was prior. Though that in itself could be worrisome down the road. Martha, and Gertrude were clear thus no words were needed and from what he heard the two were very noble in cause. However he turned back to Sadia with a more silent look.

"And do keep your sheep skin on tight," Alrevis cryptically spoke in a quite voice. This one he would keep a close eye on... her mannerisms, actions, behavior... they were unnatural yet flawless, but their was that strange sense that how she was acting wasn't who she was. However he didn't stop in his steps as he past the two in a simply motion as he walked towards the most well ironically clean record word with a rather unclean set of words for Alrevis. The tactician halted a few steps from Veran looking directly at the man with no ill will or even anger for the insults he threw his way.

"Thalia is in the same state as Stanislav in fact just like the rest of the land together... all have been infiltrated by a very dangerous "disease". To ask those to follow you must be started with truth for if its deceitful lies the ending result can end with more blood spill upon you by your own ally rather then your foe. Risk is not without reward... I now know which of you to keep a eye on. Besides Master Myrmidon can you say for certain you know what the actually enemy that is at play here is," Alrevis asked giving Veran a chance to counter him disrespectfully again if he needed before adding.

"Cause trust me if you did you would know no state is at fault here. Just a very acidic idea that can take form rather monstrously," Alrevis spoke very emotionless as he glared into Veran's eyes.

"My loyalty to her grace is as willed to the steel Stanislav melds into its armor is life bound. As much as she will wish it not blood will be spilled. I will not chance her safety even if it seems like I have for even if i cannot cut down a enemy Gavril will. So tell me master Myrmidon will you do the same as me, and my brother in arms will, or is all that anger puff just a side effect of ignorant adrenaline thinking it knows how this game will be played?"

Last edited:
Reactions: Falcon and Verran
Islas de Abaroa, 26th day of Zoi in the Season of Growing 1012 ADW.
11 Days after the fall of Thalia.
Port City of
Levitum
@Thundermage @Takumi

"Why of course we have plenty of tomes about our Goddess Miha. Afterall, we could hardly have worship without knowledge now could we. Faith ought to be based upon reason as much as belief and let neither outstrip the other. We could begin with the Holy Book, or perhaps with the accounts of the priests across the stretching centuries," Mother Telma flashed him one of her brightest smiles, as if the knowledge of such long lasting lineage and the raw amount of material filled her with joy.

"But of course," she continued, "if ye wanted knowledge of our Goddess and the gallant terror of the seas, seducer of many, friend of animals, and hoarder of treasure Jack Rogers? Why, any child could give a better answer than even I could. Sister Ystra! Sister Ystra! Oh, you're right there. I apologize for shoutin', but would you give an old woman's joints a break and fetch young Brendol. An' if he's not there, grab Gordoa. Both have that flashy spark of imagination for a good story, but Brendol has a sweeter voice. Thank you."

With a whirl of her gown, Mother Telma faced the party of pirates and admonished Rendan, "now dear, stop shiftily looking around as if for an exit. We aren't like those kung-fu nuns ye have up North in Midori. We're good, simple folk here."

Rendan started slightly, for he had been appraising the room and situation if a battle were to break out. Not at all trusting the matron's maternal air. As far as he could tell, the only ways out were down the stairs they had come up, over the edge of the parapet and into the pews, or out one of the small windows behind them. Though, he bet only Arell could fit through those. And he'd have to lose the coat too. The Midori man had hoped that he hadn't been too obvious. Clearly not. He did note, however, that not a single nun nor the only man actively in the choir looked ready to spring into action. Either they were all quite good at hiding their readiness, or they didn't expect any trouble. Or they actually were normal folk.

In short order, Sister Ystra returned with a young, blonde lad, clean but a bit too lean to be getting three square meals a day, "Matron, here is Brendol as you requested."

"Thank you dear, thank you," she bowed to the sister as she returned to her duties, "now Brendol, these are some people who will be joining us for service today. But they have a big question that only you can answer. Think you can handle it?"

The boy, nervous though he appeared to be suddenly put in front of strangers, nodded and adopted a brave, adult face. Sticking out his hand to no one in particular, but definitely to the crew, he said, "my name's Brendol. Who're you and what do you want to know?"

Abelsol
@Falcon @Azurian Dream @Takumi @Jessica2477 @Conway @Nomad-22 @TheSly

"Hi, I'm Sadia," she chimed in response to Gertude, "Sadia Kerdon of Thalia at your service." An honest smile graced her face. After all, the pointless truth was always amusing to give. But really, keeping back full names was just unfriendly. Harumph! Harumph! the maid internally pouted, they trust 'Rachel' to go running off with her at the drop of a needle, but not enough to even share full names in a camp of new friends. Still, it showed a notion of caution that matched the caution shown in the first bodyguard. Idly, she wondered how long it would keep up, then yawned. It had been a long couple of days with only a minor rest. Sadia certainly knew her limit was a good ways of, but an evening of stalking a princess, finding her place of residence, trying to kill her at an opportune moment, being interrupted and hurled out a window and breaking an arm, dragged halfway across town and back, wind up joining the princess who she'd just tried to kill, then having a day of a town brawl and march across the plains was bound to tire out any girl.

Allowing her tiredness to continue to seep into her dreamy demeanor put a sleepy smile upon Sadia face. She curled up into an upright ball, no longer directing the flow of the conversation.

Throughout it all, Korwin watched and listened. The various appearances and masks were beginning to take form as one after another came forward to share some bit or bob. Most interesting was the duality of the Stanislav takeover of Thallia. One, Alrevis, claimed that Stanislav itself was as controlled. While others railed that Stanislav had launched, effectively, a full invasion. He entertained himself with an internal back and forth as to who was right, who was wrong, and if both or neither cases held accurate nuggets of information within them. The whole night's conversation so far would certainly be an interesting event to process. Not that any of it held direct bearing on his aims. However, their conversation was still ongoing and looked like it wouldn't stop soon. Without knowing when it would end and having no desire nor reason to contribute along with not even being tired yet, Korwin singled out one who had yet to make any contribution to the discussion.

"Jebei," he called as he hoisted up his naginata, "let's walk a patrol." Then thought, afterward, I'll run some drills before hitting the sack.

Thalia, 23rd day of Zoi in the Season of Growing 1012 ADW.
Capital City of
Thalia
@Falcon

Tersch seemed to consider the matter. At the very least, she was silent for a second. Still examining the painting before her, the Lordess Commander finally spoke, "inform them. But ensure that whoever you choose can keep the utmost discretion in this matter. It would not do for some," and here she seemed to summon up one of the harsher words in her vocabulary, "unsavory elements to actively seek the Priestess. Should any find her, well, I presume you understand the gravity enough to not need me to explain otherwise."

She sighed, as if tired. Perhaps of the continued politics that had almost plagued the legion's every move since their security movement began. Or perhaps wishing that she herself could lead the search. Yet, such inability to abandon her foremost duties were the burdens and chains of command. The legion certainly demanded it as they spread throughout the nation in their continued manhunts of "unsavory" elements secured routes throughout the nation. Certainly, Thallian's guards had been adequate in protecting the major routes, but had often struggled to uproot the sources of such troubles. Not to mention the minor routes between villages and small towns could be quite insecure in the raiding months.

Yet, if one had served Tersch for anything beyond a casual term of service knew that what she gave out was what she wanted to be seen.

Thalia, Capitol City

@Verran

"I hear, and I obey." Caradoc brought his fist over his heart as he spoke, the gauntlet ringing briefly against the copper painted breastplate. "I shall choose my top five, make preparations, and we shall leave at first light."

He waited only until he had been dismissed before strolling from the premises and tracking down those five he know could be trusted. Men who were loyal to Stanislav, and loyal to their Lordess. These were men he had never yet seen abuse their positions or rank, and men he could trust to return the priestess alive. She was after all, technically the mediator now. The way Caradoc saw it, returning the body of a dead diplomat would not reassure the people. They would need her to speak to them, to assure them that war would not follow as so many rumors where whispering in the shadows.

Evening,
19th day of Zoi - 4 Days after the fall of Thalia
Atrea, Main Road south of Nahstrand and the Great River

@Verran @Azurian Dream

Aina was a passable cook but hardly a professional chef. Still the dish of fish and fried potatoes was filling enough when accompanied by the secondpot fresh tea she brewed after the finished off the first. If there was one aspect of cooking Aina could do well it was make tea. This was a fine Midori blend. Something Iori would know Aina only brought out on special occasions. The finalizing of a sale contract or, in the case, the making of a hopeful ally.

A pot of balm was brought forward and placed in front of Lauvus along with fresh bandages in case he had wounds to tend, though he was left to tend them himself. Aina was no medic and she didn't pretend to be.

"We head south in the morning." she started as she returned to her tea. "There is a large market town near the Eshil border where I believe I can make a hefty profit on my wares. You are welcome to join us, but it is in the opposite direction from the capitol. Although I must echo Iori's question from earlier and ask how you got into the river. Or at least as much information as can tell us if we need to be on higher guard as we travel."

Late-Morning
23nd day of Zoi - 8 Days after the fall of Thalia
Eshil, Several miles south of the Ufral Boarder

@Conway @Fyrra @Jessica2477 @TheSly

In some ways Suraya reminded him of a small child, Esmail mused. She seemed to like to stay active. Perhaps that was why the concept of returning home didn't appeal to her. In some ways Esmail could understand that. He liked to be kept busy as well, but then he also liked to have goals. It seemed that getting the girl home by persuasive means was going to take longer than he had originally anticipated. and so he watched and waited and tried to see if he could learn enough about the girl to see what incentive he might be able to provide for at least a temporary visit back with her mother.

To Esmail, levi seemed to be a practical being. The young man's thoughts turning first to survival and food as they traveled. It was a somewhat novel idea to the pale man, being able to choose his meals. He was used to eating simply whatever had been provided without complaint.
Though he answered Esmail had some notion that he was not the one intended to benefit from the question. "I am not picky," he stated quietly, a note of thought in his voice, "but if there are options I would not say no to some fruit or vegetables if they can be found. One gets tired of travel tack after a while."

Joris on the other hand was equally practice and more than willing to continue to talk to Esmail. That was a bit of a relief to the shaman who didn't hesitate to follow the suggestion of moving toward the road.

"It would be less tiring to everyone to walk or ride on the hard packed earth instead of the soft grass with uncertain footing," he started. At least footing felt uncertain to him. Esmail was quickly learning how fascinating this new terrain was, but he had to admit he missed the familiarity of the sand and stone of his native Ufral.

"But I admit this is my first time in this area," he continued. "If you believe it possible to navigate across the grasslands and find places to resupply then I will bow to your wisdom in the matter." He looked to Joris as he spoke. This was precisely why he had sought to bring someone more local with him on this venture.

Nightfall

@Nomad-22 @Verran @Takumi @TheSly @Conway @Jessica2477 @Azurian Dream

Gavril's vouching for the man went a long way to ease Reina's fears of Alrevis. She listened closely to the various exchanges hears perking for any signs of danger, although she knew she was woefully underappreciated for this sort of thing. She also knew that she had to pretend otherwise. She had to fake more confidence than she felt and do her best to give the impression that she knew what she was doing.

But the fact that she somehow had so many new companions, that was heartening.

"I... it may be a expensive and long trip," Reina offered cautiously when Alrevis offered funding, "And before I can really give you any details I need to organize them in my own head. I will try to do so soon, however. Suffice it to say that for the time being we travel east, and try to attrect as little notice as possible.... i may need to mantain alternate names and appearances as we go... we might all need to."

As the group made introductions and people shared whatever variation of a backstory they had constructed for themselves, Reina tried to catch Martha's gaze. She needed, if she could, to let her old friend know how things stood first. If the two of them could decide on a course of action then perhaps they could come up with a plan to present the others. All she needed was a few minutes.
under the guise of finding a more comfortable place to sit, Reina moved around until she was in between Martha and Gertrude looking for a moment when they could have a bit of quiet conversation.

As "Allegro" took Jebei on patrol and the rest of the group continued to talk among themselves Reina took her chance.

"Things look pretty bad, My friend." she whispered so only Martha could hear although Gertrude might pick up a bit and she had no doubt she could get the rest from Gavril if needed. "Stanislav staged an attack by an extremist and then proceeded to save us from the trouble. but by the time they arrived to help half the council was dead. I'm not sure how the rest stand currently, I had to get out while I could. But going back now, even under terms of peace would be a mistake."

In the shadows, far enough back where they wouldn't be seen, the Taguel moved around the perimeter of the camp. One had been sent to get reinforcements, the rest continued to watch. Perhaps they were wrong and this was not the group they were looking for, but when it came time to ask they would ensure the odds were in their favor.

Denzin san Viago
Time -
8 Days after the Fall of Thalia, 23rd Day of Zoi, Nightfall.
Location - Eshil, 10 miles north-east of Ablesol.
Mentions - @Azurian Dream, @Falcon, @Nomad-22, @Conway, @Jessica2477, @Takumi

He was not surprised when the tactician walked by him and addressed him. He was aware that he had not done a good job of hiding his delight at the man's word, or the sinister thoughts that had invaded his mind upon hearing the information from the man. Although, this poor young man was not one who he needed to be afraid of.

The mention of a wolf, however, did catch his interest. Did this man already know of his inhuman secret? If so, then that would make him dangerous to be around, someone with an observational and deductive skill like that was not just a joke. This time, Denzin made sure to keep his usual smile on his face, he wasn't afraid of letting others see a little into his mind if they chose to do so that only meant they were willing to see the madness underneath in the first place, but this he would rather not be seen by anyone. However, the moment Denzin heard the mention of sheepskin, he chalked up the man simply using a metaphor rather than actually wanting to let him know that he was aware of what he really was.

Denzin could not resist the urge to follow the man around, trailing a few steps behind. Taking one of his deck's from the inside of his coat and drawing a card, The Towers, in reverse.

"Yes. I know I've exposed myself dumb-dumb. I didn't care about it either. How about, instead of telling me something I already know, you tell me something about that pretty-faced tactician? I'd try to get to know him myself, but I have a feeling he doesn't like me as much as I would like he did." Denzin whispered to himself, drawing another card from the deck. The moment he was able to read the name of the card as he drew it he rolled his eyes.

"You are not helping." He jokingly whispered to the deck as if it could answer him while he shuffled the card back before putting the deck back into the pocket he pulled it from.

"Well, I guess I will just have to win him over with my irresistible charisma and charm that has definitely never failed me before, then." Denzin waited until the man had finished his conversations before walking up to him. He did not sneak up, for all the fun it would have been to try and scare him, a scar on his right shoulder served as an eternal reminder that he should not do these things with military personnel, be they still active or retired. These people were always too quick to draw their weapons, no fun at all.

"My name is Denzin san Viago, should it interest you. I would ask you to remember it, I find it to be very impolite to call somebody a wolf before you even know their name, do you not? I mean, I at least want to know the names of the people I am insulting!" Denzin began with a bright smile in a half-joking tone. He crossed his legs and immediately dropped to the ground to sit.

"Would you mind to sit down with me? I have a question to ask, one that might take a while to answer, and one that might warrant at least a bit of a chat, if you are willing to speak to a false wolf that is." He was still smiling, hoping that the other would only take the teasing about the words he had said as such, and not as a veiled threat or insult.

"Tell me, Pretty, what makes you think I would want to play a wolf? What makes you so sure I am not already one, who just wrapped himself up in a nice, thick and warm coat of wool? I am honestly curious. Why do you think these things?" Denzin's smile had disappeared from his face as he spoke, it was replaced by a face that could almost be described as angry, though his voice remained in its usual eerie, calm and somewhat soothing tone.

"I sincerely apologize if I appear a little strange. I do tend to have that effect. I am merely curious. People fascinate me, and people that have dealt with the military are always the most interesting to me, their personalities and trains of thought are always so different, yet somehow similar, you see?" Denzin explained, now again with a wide grin on his face. If his tail was not wrapped around his waist beneath his cloak and if he wouldn't have any restraint, it would be wagging furiously now. He was interesting and Denzin was excited to see his reaction.

Levi Callaghan
Time - 8 days after the Fall of Thalia, 23rd day of Zoi, morning.
Location - Eshil, several miles away from the Ufral Border
Mentions - @Falcon, @Jessica2477, @Fyrra, @Conway

Levi, for the entirety of the time that they had been walking, had just been looking downward at the ground, lost in his imaginary world, dreaming up new characters and personalities, locations and events, silently murmuring to himself what they would say in this situation, or if they met this character, switching character from scene to scene, playing out cheesy and overly dramatic love scenes, to heartwrenching scenes of betrayal in his mind. Praying nobody noticed.

He only began half-heartedly listening when someone had taken to ask his question. It was the dark mage that answered, the last person he had expected to even pay any mind to him in the very first place.

"I like people that aren't picky, they're the easiest to cook for. Though, I do hope you are not used to your meals looking good. I was taught how I can best feed many mouths with good food, not how to make it look good." He said back, laughing a little half-way through, "I tend to make up for the bad looks in good taste." He added after a few seconds.

In his pondering the night before his mind did cross the dark mage. Often, when he had read stories and even some few times when he had thought up stories himself, especially as a young child, black magic was presented as evil. In reality, though, the world was hardly ever just black and white. Everything was in a grey area in the grand scheme of things, it occurred to him that even when he was traveling with his father and making sure with his uncle that no one stole their wares, he was probably appearing as the bad guy to many people, people who had to steal to survive. So, why was dark magic inherently bad? There was no better point to find out where that thought came from than now, was there?

"Esmail, can you spare a moment?" Levi asked as he quickened his pace and walked up to the pale man. He still did not fully trust him, saying he did would just be a blatant lie. Whether or not it was because he suspected the man was hiding something, or because of the magic he employed, or maybe because of both, Levi could not exactly tell. He only knew the man made him feel uneasy.

"Say, you are a practitioner of black magic, aren't you? Could you maybe do me a favor and explain some of it to me? I have always been curious about the people that could bend the elements to their will through the use of staves and tomes, but because I was always on the road I never had the opportunity to really get to know and to learn something from these people. This counts double for black mages, you yourself probably know how most people perceive it, I'm sure you are the last I have to explain this to. So, I figured now might be my only chance to get to do these things." Levi explained himself. He did not lie. He was honestly always curious about magic but never got to learn or maybe even practice it himself even though he wanted to know more about it. In his mind, there was absolutely no way that it was really nothing more but just a bunch of people in robes that waved books and sticks at each other. There had to be more and he wanted to know what this more was, really really badly.

23rd day of Zoi

Veran listened to tactician's response, trying to read into what the man actually wanted. He could tell that this man had some skill with words, and tried to make it seem as though he had the same skill with the blade; though Veran doubted he was as talented as he boasted. He knew that his type would split themselves between the tome and the blade, making them versatile, but leaving them as masters of neither. If it came down to it, Veran knew all he had to do was get close to him, where is tome was far less effective, and his blade skills would fail him, against Veran. He was not intimidated by his boasts. He did raise an eyebrow at the mention of funding however. Men of coin should always be watched, carefully, as those who dealt in coin were often only loyal to it. His expression did not change when he mentioned anger, Veran supposed his naturally dismissive expression had fooled the man into thinking Veran was bubbling with rage. He also did not say a word when the tactician left a pause to provoke him. Veran was not going to be manipulated to snap back at the man. He had quickly formulated his own ideas about the man, but read the reactions of the people around him as well. He was surprised how quick the princess was to accept his aide, no doubt because she held the word of Gavril in such a high regard.

He took another step forward such that he was standing next to Reina, "You take a risk accepting aide from this man, but I think you have already weighed that in your mind. Just don't be so naive as to take your eyes off him."

As she walked away, he turned his attention back to the tactician, "And you, don't mistake my mistrust and detest of lies for anger. I think we will both be keeping a close eye on each other. You were right about one thing, I am a Master of the blade, and i would not hesitate like your friend Gavril here."

He turned to leave, but glanced back over his shoulder, "Oh, and find some new adjectives to describe the ... little bird," he said glancing to Reina. Then he walked to a nearby tree and sat down leaning on it, carefully watching the area around them.

@Takumi @Falcon @Verran @Azurian Dream @TheSly @Jessica2477 @Nomad-22

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

23 day of Zoi
Eshil, several miles south of the Ufral border

Joris looked back out in the distance to the road he had seen, then turned to Naira, "Truly now, are we that far south already? If that is the Red-Gold passage then yes it does lead all the way back to Thalia. I oft' traveled it with the diplomats to serve as the Thalian representative in Atrean jousting tourneys. Following it east would eventually cross the High Road up into Atrea itself, before diving further down into the plains of Eshil, while the Western path would lead us nearly to Thalia."

He brushed off Naira's statement about wild tribes and bandits, "Ah, well I've fought both and am still here today. Neither wear armor that would save them from my lance. The only ones that would cause trouble for me would be their swift horse archers, but with a skilled mage and archer of our own they can also be delt with."

Joris spun his horse to look to Esmail, about to ask which direction he would like to go, before remembering that he and Esmail were simply following Suraya, and turned to face her as well, "Which direction should we continue our travels?"

@Falcon @Jessica2477 @TheSly @Fyrra

Reina's Camp, Eshil, Nightfall

In many ways Jebei who sat down during the gathering couldn't make heads or tails about the discussion Reina and the others were having. Being a simple nomad of the Eshil plains he was not really familiar with the politics of other lands. Yet upon the mention of shadow people controlling lords and nations, Jebei shuttered a bit. He focused his attention instead on sharpening arrows while the horse Temüjin drank water from a nearby stream.

What if it is true? I hate the idea of shadow people manipulating the tribes. Will Stainlsav invade Eshil next?

It was not a comforting thought for Jebei. Especially given the recurring dreams he had for weeks. Visions of burning settlements, blades clashing between hated foes and countless corpses spread far out as one could see. Jebei closed his eyes and whispered.

"Spirits continue to guide my path."

Subsequently Korwin called his name and stating they will go on patrol. Relieved that he had something to do to stay occupied Jebei got up, taking bow and quiver with him. The horse from behind stopped drinking behind whined causing the green clothed rider wave.

"I'll be fine Temujin. You need your rest, we've have a long journey ahead of us horse brother."

Saying that he walked with bow at the ready alongside Korwin armed with his forgien looking spear. While it was night the nomad tried to listen closely, for any strange sound. Instead only crickets chirped and a wolf howling in the far distance to the north.

@Falcon @Takumi @Verran @Azurian Dream @TheSly @Jessica2477 @Conway

Last edited:

After the fight in Abelsol's marketplace Reina and her new friends travel away from the town trying to remain as inconspicuous as possible. Little do they know that they have already been spotted and tracked on their path, but not by any they know to fear. As the group makes camp for the night dark shadows draw closer.

Chapter Three: Taguel in the Night

Late Evening

Various conversations continued, those who knew each other shared with their friends what their journey's had been like. Reina, confided everything to Martha the moment she could. And through this conversation determined that she would wait until she was sure of each individual before she told them her story. For now that information would be given only to Martha, Gertrude, and Gavril.

To "Agato" and Jebei she gave the information of their destination, as much as they knew. That she needed to get to the eastern coast and then perhaps the islands. She would leave up to them who else to give the information to for the time being. Perhaps as she grew to know and trust the others more that all would change. Perhaps someday each member of their party would learn the truth of her mission. But that day was not now.

Eventually a meal was prepared and served, and then those who had camping equipment brought it out for the night. Fortunately most of them had been prepared for a journey after their trip to the market.

As the evening drew to a close, Veran, Jebei, and Alrevis volunteered for first watch, and the rest settled in to get what sleep they could before their turn came about.

The night drew on, breathing slowed to sleeping murmurs, and as the darkness reached it's blackest point the shadows in the night began to move.
The Taguels had a purpose. They meant to catch the group with as little violence as possible. They weren't yet entirely sure this was their quarry and intended to be sure that neither side suffered to much injury. But they had to feel safe and secure when they asked their questions.

Two each left for the night watchers, moving as quietly as possible. Gags ready to muffle any shouts of warning they might give.

Another pare went for Gertrude, her armor marking her a fighter, and a second set similarly tried to take Gavril for the same reason. They hope to catch them before there was a chance to rouse from their sleep and reach for a blade.

Last edited:
23rd day of Zoi, Night

Veran had leaned himself up against a tree as he looked out into the darkness. Even before their small campfire was put out, Veran had been looking away and averting his eyes, as to not ruin what little natural dark vision his human eyes possessed. He had also placed himself away from Alveris, but not so far that he could not also monitor what he was doing. Of all the people that now had their fates, in one way or another, tied to the princess, Alveris was the one that Veran trusted the least. Gurtrude could be trusted to follow Martha anywhere, and Martha could be trusted to follow and protect their little bird. Similarly, Gavril's blind loyalty in the princess could be trusted. Jebei, the nomad, didn't strike Veran as the type who was even capable of treachery or deviousness. Denzin seemed like he was following along for the excitement and adventure more so than any sort of loyalty, which made him someone to keep an eye on, but not to worry heavily over. "Agato" seemed to be hiding some things, and had so far been very quiet, so Veran didn't have much to go off of. The same could be said for the maid girl, there was no way an actual maid would have made it to this point, so there was definitely something up with her as well, but again Veran couldn't tell what.

Veran sighed and cleared his mind, those things were not his concern now. It was something to keep in mind for sure, but right now he was on watch. The night was very clear, and being away from all the lights of towns or cities, there was nothing to disturb the field of stars which stretched from horizon to horizon. This beautiful view was something that Veran was familiar with, from his family's small estate on the top of a high mountain back in Stanislav. He could see many of the same constellations the he could from his home, though their positions were off slightly, being that he was much further south than he ever had been in his life up to this point. He looked out to the horizon across the flat plains that surrounded them, looking at the stars, as well as keeping watch for the camp.

A twinkle near the horizon caught his eye, and Veran looked over in that direction. A bright star, low on the horizon was blinking, then it stopped. He watched it for a moment before noticing another star popping in and out of existence. Veran had never seen that happen before. He looked towards the stars, and now noticed they were disappearing a few at a time now. That... that was not natural, it was almost as if something was covering them up... like a shadow blocking a light. Suddenly Veran stood, placing a hand on his sword, but not yet drawing it. He looked over to the other two, "Eyes up, there's something out there. It could be nothing, but I don't take chances." He looked over to Jebei, who was the native of these lands, "Is there a chance this could be a herd of wild horses passing through?" He kept his voice low as to not be herd by anyone but his fellow night watchers.

@Azurian Dream @Nomad-22

Last edited by a moderator:
Life among his tribe had taught Jebei many necessities, including the importance of night watch. Raiders or wild predators were constant danger on the plains. Survival often depended on the alertness of sentries. Admittedly though the sheer darkness of this night did not make this duty any easier. Only the stars offered a dim form of lights up in the sky.

A full moon would've helped. The young nomad quietly thought. Still having a tree for a vantage point was quite useful. Jebei sat as he reflected on the journey so far. Many suns and moons have passed their escape from the settlement.

Considering the enemies after Reina, I wouldn't be surprised if danger comes our way again.

Considering the war, it made some sense that Reina wanted to head for the eastern lands. There would be refuge from the army of Stainslav at least he concluded. Though Jebei couldn't shake the feeling there was a greater reason for that destination as he stood close to Veran and Korwin.

The young nomad suddenly noticed Veran getting up. Alerted, Jebei subsequently listened to the warrior. At the question he shook his head no.

"A herd would make more noise than this."

Quietly he listened for any hint of trouble, but the wind howled. Frustrated, he drew an arrow of his bow and added. "If there is trouble I suggest we put our backs to one another. That way we can cover each other's flank."

@Conway @Verran

Last edited:
Abelsol
@Falcon @Azurian Dream @Takumi @Jessica2477 @Conway @Nomad-22 @TheSly

(Collab between myself and Falcon.)

Korwin had been dozing, dreamless as ever, when Jebei had nudged him. It wasn't his watch, so there was little need to be awake, but he had sat out with the watchers by the fire. Brooding upon the world's events and picking over in his mind the steps that had led him here before sleep has finally claimed him. It was off in a manner that he could well put his finger upon. He had little taste for fairy-tales or grand epics of adventure. They were seldom true and his best recourse was to avoid them. This rag-tag team of misfits from, as far as he could tell and he could tell a great deal from his continental travels, all over the land was just as likely to get torn to shreds and flop before it even left the country. His current goal was to ensure that it reached the coast, many miles and a nation away, before that.

And already that seemed in jeopardy for, as Jebei woke him and sleepiness fled as shadows before a candle, Korwin's eyes pierced into the gloom. A life-long pension for night-vision perceived for the briefest of instants, a pair of softly glowing eyes before they whipped away in the wind-swept night. Not that he had need of knowing the eyes were there as he could guess that the company was safe from fools who lied about shadows, except for perhaps Sadia. Though, they did confirm the others' concerns. Internally, Korwin cursed the fact that his armor was off, though both it and naginata were by his side.

"Or," he quietly growled, "before we stand back to back we could actually wake everyone up." Then he bellowed to a roar, scooping up his weapon saying, "awake! Awake you sluggards! Eyes wander the night and battle may be at hand!"

A flickering light played in his own eyes and a twitch toyed with his mouth. Not of a snarl nor of the pleasure of tormenting innocents in slight mind games, but the promise of feral joy.

For Reina sleep came easily, though it was not restful, so exhausted vwas she from the events of the day. She woke before Korwin's shout thought not by much. And for her awakening was not due to sound, but because a large, slightly fuzzy hand hand been placed over her mouth.

The taguel moved quickly, used to bounding on all fours or two feet alike depending on the need. A second pair of hands found Denzin, covering his mouth so he couldn't cry out and then pulling the still sluggish body out of the way where a comrade could help bind the wolf to keep him out of the fight. Others met a similar fate.

It was clear they were aiming to incapacitate rather than harm, at least it was clear to the bare few who could see in the night the way Korwin could. flanking, grabbing from behind, binding. None of them had yet drawn a weapon or changed form, although Taguel traditionally had more strength than a human.

Some slunk in the shadows flanking the group and others charged right out with Korwin's cry.

One, a dark haired male with tan skin dropped low for a moment before kicking off with powerful legs to lunge at Korwin, changing his target from Jebei to him as almost as soon as his awakening cry was issued. He was armored, the color difficult to make out in the night appearing green. His partner, like him in face bust dressed in red, continued toward the plane's bowman intent on disarming him.

Sadia had been dreaming and sound asleep. A girl in a neat new brown dress clasped at the hem of a man surcoat. The man wore a black shirt. Unfamiliar to the girl in design. Somewhere, it lay, between ornate and practical. Her image of nobles wore rich, bright clothes with sweeping capes or cloaks. Dark halls of stone, dimly lit with glowing lanterns that lacked flame, seemed to lead in endless twists. She had no idea where she was, but for now that was ok enough. Not much mattered to her at the moment. With eyes of empty glass, she saw nothing of the halls. Cared little where could be, and felt less in her heart. A door appeared suddenly in front of them. The man gave looked down at her, a soft smile upon his dark-skin and bearded face.

"We're here," he said.

Here for what? She wondered for she did not remember what the man had told her when he had made her get out of bed. The man opened the door, and the girl couldn't stop her eyes from widening in wonder.

A hand closing around her mouth brought Sadia to full wakefulness. Curled in a ball outside of a tent as she had none of her own, the Taguel had caught her off guard. However, her face took only a mere instant to put on. The maid, panicked by the sudden assault, wailed mutely into the closing hand.

Korwin shifted, bringing his spear to point out, between the darting foe and Jebei. Daring his opponent to spear himself upon the weapon. However, as his senses continued to come to full attention, he realized something was wrong. It wasn't so much what was happening, but what wasn't. There was minimal stirring among his traveling strangers. A snarl found its way to his face as Korwin rapidly drew the conclusions that: they were outnumbered, the enemy had hostages, and he couldn't simply let casualties happen. Pride demanded that he somehow figure a way of equal standing.

The dark haired taguel's reflexes were good. He saw the spear and time and managed to leap backwards an astonishing distance.. well if he had been human.

Reina meanwhile found herself tightly held though she almost managed to bite her captor as they shoved a ball of cotton into her mouth. it was too dark to see who it was though. Suddenly a strong hand pinched her jaw, turning her face in the low moon light as if getting a closer look.

"You fools," an elderly female voice breathed, "you've gotten the wrong humans! she is too highborn to be among those we seek." and then the voice rang out into the night. "Hold your claws! we've made a mistake! Not These Humans!"

Korwin watched the taguel leap with satisfaction. All that would be needed would be for Jebei to take a shot while the foe was landing and they'd be up one. Yet, upon hearing the woman's voice, Korwin reigned in his battle-lust with a scowl.

"Hold!" he bellowed to the party, but did not retract his spear and, grasping upon sudden inspiration, "to whom, then, do we owe the rude pleasure that disrupts the Lady's camp?"

The red armored Taguel leapt back from Jebei to land beside the other "You should know of the Taguel of Bandowi--" he began with a snarl but his green armored companions hand fell on his shoulder and he fell silent "Let us have some light!" the old woman's voice rang out again, "there is no need to treat in shadows. We are not the bandits we mistook them to be. Turken, untie those we've caught. We have no need of bindings."

Somewhere further back a torch was lit and the taguel holding it brought it forwards to others could be lit from it. I was then easy enough to see an elderly woman, also adorned in leather armor, helping Reina to her feet.

Farewell
Eshil, southwest of the Atrean border
20 Zoi, five days post-coup.

Crickets and cicada chirped into the sunrise, their once distant song now deafening to the ears of a city-dweller. Joining the sounds came a groan, and soon another joined it, but the morning passed without event as a young Paige and her armored accomplice packed up their belongings and resumed their journey. Only upon passing a wagon with a few armed riders as its escort did the two stop.

"I'm not cut out for this," the young mage admitted, "These plains go on forever, and you're determined to find the end of them, without a tangible goal. I wish you the best, but this journey isn't for me."

"Understandable," the armored figure replied, "I trust you've found a more fitting destination?"

"I'm going back. Back to the land of beds, and people, and not waking up with bugs on your face!"

And with that, the odd pair met with the approaching wagon and its driver. Once passage for the mage had been negotiated, a small pouch full of coins was placed in her hands, and her accomplice turned from the road after saying their farewells. "Which way to Thalia?" they asked the driver, who pointed west with a roll of the eyes.

"Away from the sun, you tin can."

And so they all parted ways: Paige, from a weird knight and the wilderness; Ravness, from the road and all sensibility; the traders, from their brief rest.

________
Questions
23 Zoi, south of the Eshil-Ufral border.
Grasslands

Naira pulled her cloak up over her head as she brushed a hand down the mane of her horse, listening to the knight reminisce about the life he led before becoming wrapped up in this odd gathering. To think, not just a knight, but the guard of a foreign diplomatic envoy was with her: yesterday's pursuers were likely doomed the moment Joris took the field, possibly even without Esmail's involvement. At the very least, this entourage made charting a safe course less of a headache.

"Right, right," she replied, "traveling with an armed escort is different; seldom do we have the pleasure. What must it be like, to ride with diplomats and compete with knights? Apart from the archer, I have only known Atreans to concern themselves with control over the eastern mines and ores. And of your Thalia, I have only heard tales of winged steeds. Are they true?"