Fire Emblem RP

I honestly hadn't thought about that.

The trouble is figuring out how it would work in an RP setting.
Some of them are a little easier - Pavise you'd mention your character parrying or something. Things like Odd Rhythm or Astra would be harder to do I imagine...

Forgive the fact that I only skimmed the topic but did I see taguel as fair game? I have an oc that I've never been able to use because she is half-taguel and that little snag always causes a fuss even though I have a good backstory totally figured out that makes it work. It's based around the idea that half taguel can little to no characteristics so there is a possibility that there are unkowing half-taguel around (thank you devs for not wanting to make unique ports for mu/taguel parings) and also a bit that it was said there were other animal types of taguel, though that is mostly for a stealth joke I'm not going to lie... She was raised by her human family though and does not have a beaststone (starting class is mercenary).

@Karakui
I'm fine with skills as long as you can find a way to make them work in an RP setting and players agree on what a skill is if more than one person wants to use the same one ^_^ I might make that part of the Char sheet

@AutumnWyvern
Taguel are fair game yes. And seeing that Yarne was a half-taguel I see no reason why your character can't be. Though I would say a half taguel should have a decent amount of taguel characteristics. Third or forth generation however could be much more human looking. Not having a beast stone means that should she pick one up she will have to learn how to use it as any other weapon.
I will warn you though, that as a GM I do reserve the right to approve all backstories, so if you want pre-approval you'll have to PM me. Though it might be better to read the thread and wait for the world/setting to be confirmed.

I also want to tell everyone else @Kestrel @Leif @Karakui @Dubs of Stigma
That as a GM I'm a rather large fan of the Karma Paddle.
This means the actions in the RP have consequences. So if a character gets caught stealing they would find themselves in jail. Murder an NPC and there will be an investigation (or in the case of the last RP I ran a full manhunt) Teamwork with other players could be well rewarded, etc.
I hope everyone interested is okay with this.

@New Years Falcon She does have animal characteristics but she keeps them hidden. This is a rather old drawing but still applicable. Her uncle (who she saw more as her father) taught her the way of the sword. She also doesn't have to be a weasel that is 90% animal-based joke. (Because her father was a jerk)
Also yeah, more setting would probably be needed anyway because her backstory hinges a lot on "taguel being hunted and killed to (near)extinction" but I never see rp where any sort of taguel are allowed so I got exiiited :3c

that's fine ^_^
Though Tagaul are rabbits by definition I believe
But yes, you may play one :)

@New Years Falcon Panne mentions cat and bird taguel when talking to the MU and with Ricken she mentions lions and wolves. No weasels but I figured I'm already bending canon based on holes in canon why not push the envelope even further hahaha

Panne's comment is a reference to the other beast-stone users in the Wii and xbox games (not taguel). I believe they were called Laguz.
Taguel are rabbits and I prefer to keep them as such.

As I've already said, I may consider a laguz if enough people want then, but I prefer to stick with the mechanics from the games I've actually had a chance to play ^_^

I also want to tell everyone else @Kestrel @Leif @Karakui @Dubs of Stigma
That as a GM I'm a rather large fan of the Karma Paddle.
This means the actions in the RP have consequences. So if a character gets caught stealing they would find themselves in jail. Murder an NPC and there will be an investigation (or in the case of the last RP I ran a full manhunt) Teamwork with other players could be well rewarded, etc.
I hope everyone interested is okay with this.
Well that seems silly. Actions don't have consequences IRL after all, so why would they in a game?

Reactions: - Falcon -
I once had a player who thought going around and murdering NPC's was a good way of investigation. Especially in a place where the population already was distrustful of the party she was working for and the abilities she had, so the players had been instructed to not cause problems. The player thought a killing spree would be without consequence. They were wrong. So very, very wrong.

Personally, I think consequence, or the karma paddle as you call it, is a necessary mechanic.

As I've already said, I may consider a laguz if enough people want then, but I prefer to stick with the mechanics from the games I've actually had a chance to play ^_^
Laguz had some very different mechanics. It was kind of all over the place. Especially as how in cutscenes, they were able to transform at will. In game, on the contrary, they had a meter that would fill up in human form and decrease in beast form. They'd change forms if it was either full or empty. The exact details differed between FE9 and 10, too. There were 'stones' but these were basically consumable that filled the bar. Then there's the part where all Laguz pretty much never pick up a sword ever and only fight as beasts, even if they're insanely vulnerable in human form.

I understand transformers are a big part of the FE-legacy, but outside of FE9/FE10, which had racism and diversity as major themes, they're pretty much always considered extremely rare. There were entire countries of Laguz in their respective games. Laguz differ from manakete and taguel in many aspects. Also, because this considers halfbreeds, relations between a laguz and beorc (human) often lead to miscarriage or a mixed blood called 'branded.' These have some kind of tattoo on them (AKA brand) from birth and are canonically shunned by both sides. Branded also don't have the ability to transform, unlike half-taguel like Yarne and possibly Morgan in Awakening.

So, yeah.

• Useful
Reactions: Falcon
Laguz had some very different mechanics. It was kind of all over the place. Especially as how in cutscenes, they were able to transform at will. In game, on the contrary, they had a meter that would fill up in human form and decrease in beast form. They'd change forms if it was either full or empty. The exact details differed between FE9 and 10, too. There were 'stones' but these were basically consumable that filled the bar. Then there's the part where all Laguz pretty much never pick up a sword ever and only fight as beasts, even if they're insanely vulnerable in human form.
Well that's just messy, which is a shame because someone had to think really hard to come up with that.

Essentially the turns you had no useful unit in them outweighed the turns you had a powerful unit, making them utter rubbish because they couldn't be relied on. Imagine a frontline fighter suddenly becoming as vulnerable; from fighting too much, in the enemy turn. This means you can't send them out to kill stuff for you, because the amount of rounds they can be in is severely limited by a timer in addition to health. Fire Emblem 9 is still a good game, though. 10, on the other hand... Let's not talk about 10.

Essentially the turns you had no useful unit in them outweighed the turns you had a powerful unit, making them utter rubbish because they couldn't be relied on. Imagine a frontline fighter suddenly becoming as vulnerable; from fighting too much, in the enemy turn. This means you can't send them out to kill stuff for you, because the amount of rounds they can be in is severely limited by a timer in addition to health. Fire Emblem 9 is still a good game, though. 10, on the other hand... Let's not talk about 10.
That actually sounds pretty fun. More strategy, a more balanced playing field (cos lets be serious here, Fire Emblem has always been really easy.)

That actually sounds pretty fun. More strategy, a more balanced playing field (cos lets be serious here, Fire Emblem has always been really easy.)
Let me guess. DLC-abuse for 13 and VBA for 7?

'cause FE has a rep for having some cruel difficulty on higher settings.

Let me guess. DLC-abuse for 13 and VBA for 7?

'cause FE has a rep for having some cruel difficulty on higher settings.
You can't really not DLC-abuse 13 though, cos of that one DLC map that gives a bunch of XP. Unless you want to finish the game with half-leveled characters or you're OK grinding for eternity, you need that map.

You can't really not DLC-abuse 13 though, cos of that one DLC map that gives a bunch of XP. Unless you want to finish the game with half-leveled characters or you're OK grinding for eternity, you need that map.
I have a complete Lunatic file and none of the DLC.

Yes, you may bask in my glory.

Reactions: - Falcon -
I have a complete Lunatic file and none of the DLC.

Yes, you may bask in my glory.
That's not really glory, that's just having too much free time imo. Like seriously, do you not have a job you could be doing instead?

Whoops I didn't get pings
@New Years Falcon I know that its technically a reference to the Laguz but in the dialogue she says taguel.

Ricken: Hey, Panne? Did you hear me? I asked what other animal—​
Panne: You just won't take a stony silence for an answer, will you? I've met other taguel who become lions, and others who turned into wolves.​
Really I'm just playing with technicalities and plot holes fufu
Also I believe Tellius is not in the same world as Akaneia/Ylisse, as Path of Radiance/Radiant Dawn is apart of a completely new and separate story line. That or the other popular theory is that 9/10 happen thousands and thousands of years before all the other games. Either way. Laguz =/= Taguel

@Karakui @AutumnWyvern @Kestrel @Leif @Karakui @Dubs of Stigma

I will consider the taguel/laguz/other question. However, before I give a definite answer on it I'd like to get the question of setting answered.

I was originally going to world-build a setting for this RP. Is everyone okay with an original setting? or would you prefer to use an existing FE world and if so which one?

@AutumnWyvern Since Awakening was essentially a reboot targeted at a wider audience in a kind of last-bid for attention, everything got dumbed down a bit. The combat system was made much easier to allow younger / more casual players access, so it would make sense that they'd simplify some of the lore too, ie it'd be easier for people to understand "taguel" as "beast person" rather than "specifically rabbit person"

@New Years Falcon Honestly, I always assumed the different games were just set in different countries on the same planet... I think it might be nice to be able to reference 'past events' a little, but otherwise a custom setting is best to prevent people getting really picky over the details.

• Thank You
@Karakui I don't see how beast person is any more or less easier to understand than rabbit person but then again I'm all about the beast people haha. Also 9/10 are as far as I'm aware (I'm spoiler free for the new games) the only games that don't exist either on the same continent (Akaneia and Ylisse are the same as I mentioned before) or the same world. Or at least the only ones that aren't directly confirmed to be. It's possible they still are but who knows. Since Outrealms is written into the lore now anything goes really. :o

In any case Akaneia/Ylisse and Elibe are the locations I'm most familiar with. Though the last time I replayed FE7 I was in middle school... (If only the virtual console release was on the 3ds instead that'd be so much more convenient huffs) But I'd have little problem with a new setting as long as we work out all the logistics. Races, (brief?) history, ruling families, how many countries... A map would be a must.

• Thank You